Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Maybe next time the Tories will have to emulate the GE2015 EdS

Comments

• Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,954
    edited March 2017

Pulpstar said:

Employed staff on £32,000 a year currently pay £6,170, jointly with their employer, compared with £2,300 for the self-employed.

Come on, that is the real story here isn't it.

Well there's an obvious answer: If it's so easy to become self-employed and pay less tax, then they can resign and start their own business.
    Increasingly people are doing so - and it is creating a revenue issue for the government. Add to that the whole IR35 mess of people "self employed" by one organisation that HMRC has neither the time nor the resources to deal with properly, and by far the simplest and best solution is to make NI agnostic to the hierarchical structure above the individual.

The "advantage" of self employment is an ability to (quite rightly) decrease taxable income through business related expenses (And also take the 2 or 5k dividend allowance). National insurance is supposed the pot to piss in when you're old and drowning in your own piss. A formerly self employed and employed person are going to need precisely the same care in that situation !
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,997
    Mr. B, before test 2 I think Ferrari were around 8 or 10 on Ladbrokes. Would've been better ahead of test 1, of course.

Not sure about that Hamilton bet. He is the likeliest winner, but it's pretty short for a bet that could take eight months to come in.

Unimpressed with Red Bull?
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,657
    Pulpstar said:

Bojabob said:

I'm neutral on the change. But note that there is nothing at all rightwing about putting money in working people's pockets. That it has become a feature of leftwingery that clobbering people who work hard and creating disincentives to work is a big problem that the Left has long needed to address.

Lets equalise National Insurance for all then.

Why should employed PAYE have to pay more for the same income ?
    For lower income! In engineering, the contractors always get more for the same job, then pay less tax as a double benefit.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited March 2017

Is it offering to stay in the internal market? No? It thinks it can negotiate better deals with the rest of the world? We'll see about that...

It's offering a comprehensive free-trade agreement with the members of the Single Market. We will see if the EU27 want to take up the offer or not. At present, there's a massive mismatch between their claims that they want to be champions of free trade, and their rhetoric on Brexit.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,106

Is it offering to stay in the internal market? No? It thinks it can negotiate better deals with the rest of the world? We'll see about that...

It's offering a comprehensive free-trade agreement with the members of the Single Market. We will see if the EU27 want to take up the offer or not. At present, there's a massive mismatch between their claims that they want to be champions of free trade, and their rhetoric on Brexit.
    The only mismatch is between the aspirations of the Brexiteers and their capacities.
  • Options

Well there's an obvious answer: If it's so easy to become self-employed and pay less tax, then they can resign and start their own business.

That's exactly what they have been doing, especially if they work in the media or in IT, in very large numbers. That's precisely the issue.
    It's also very popular with agency lorry drivers.
    When I was on a national retailer contract with a 3PL, half the drivers were agency and nearly all of those were set up as Ltd.

• Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,746

Mr. B, before test 2 I think Ferrari were around 8 or 10 on Ladbrokes. Would've been better ahead of test 1, of course.

Not sure about that Hamilton bet. He is the likeliest winner, but it's pretty short for a bet that could take eight months to come in.

Unimpressed with Red Bull?

Yes, so far.
    The Ferrari engine looks good, and the chassis both innovative and relatively sorted; in both cases ahead of the soft drinks boys. Everyone is getting very excited about the lad Verstappen, but (tempting fate) I don't see this being his year.

As far as taking eight months, that's the point of a trading bet. F1 lends itself well to that - if Mercedes are going to crush everyone, that will be evident pretty quickly. If not, the Ferrari bet is tasty.
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584

That's exactly what they have been doing, especially if they work in the media or in IT, in very large numbers. That's precisely the issue.

But if they go back and work exactly as an employee, then they should be taxed as an employee.
  • Options
    Mr. B, my concern with Red Bull would be reliability. They're not woeful, but seem a little behind the other two teams who may compete for the title.
  • Options
    mattmatt Posts: 3,789
    BudG said:

..essentially the hysteria is solely around Hammond breaking that silly Cameron tax pledge
    "That silly tax pledge" might just have been the difference between Cameron winning a majority in 2015 and having to go into coalition with the LD's again. If it swung a few seats then that would be the case.

So if he had not made "that silly pledge" then it is quite possible that we would have not had the Referendum.

So some might think that a pledge that has had such far-reaching consequences isn't just a "silly pledge"

It's odd though. I wasn't even aware of the pledge until the cut and pasting started here. Perhaps I'm alone in that but I remain to be convinced.
  • Options

But if they go back and work exactly as an employee, then they should be taxed as an employee.
    They should be. But they aren't. And the employers are complicit in this whole charade.
  • Options

Mr. B, my concern with Red Bull would be reliability. They're not woeful, but seem a little behind the other two teams who may compete for the title.

They also seem slower.
  • Options
    BojabobBojabob Posts: 642

Bojabob said:

philiph said:

I must be a bit of an oddity.

I couldn't see anything wrong with the pasty tax making the rules the same for takeaway hot snacks.

Except Greggs whipped up a good media storm that could be used to beat the ever popular Osbourne

I couldn't see anything wrong with The Granny tax was miss named and basically sound

Except the media whipped up a good media storm that could be used to beat the ever popular Osbourne

I couldn't see anything wrong with The Charity tax which was basically sound

Except the Rich who use a loophole and the Charity sector whipped up a good media storm that could be used to beat the ever popular Osbourne

I can't see anything wrong with the NI increase which appears to be well targeted to hit the wealthier harder than the JAMs

Except it will apply to journalists who have whipped up a good media storm that could be used to beat the ever popular Hammond

Agree - lets see if May & Hammond are made of sterner stuff than the posh boys....
    Those would be the very same "posh boys" you supported wholeheartedly and enthusiastically before they left the stage.
    Why don't you go back to droning on and on and on and on and on and on and on on and on and on and on and on and on and on on and on and on and on and on and on and on on and on and on and on and on and on and on on and on and on and on and on and on and on on and on and on and on and on and on and on on and on and on and on and on and on and on on and on and on and on and on and on and on on and on and on and on and on and on and on on and on and on and on and on and on and on on and on and on and on and on and on and on on and on and on and on and on and on and on on and on and on and on and on and on and on on and on and on and on and on and on and on on and on and on and on and on and on and on on and on and on and on and on and on and on about child benefit?
    I have already poked fun at myself – several times – about that on here this week, entirely unprompted. Where is your sense of humour about your brazen dropping of support for Cam and Ozzy and your similarly inauthentic change of attitude to Brexit? I'm not holding my breath!
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,951
    On topic. Rubbish.

This won't last 7 days, let alone 5 years.
  • Options

HMRC just doesn't have the resources to police this, and Amazon / Uber can lawyer/ tax accountant up on this to convince a judge (Whose job is to interpret the law correctly, not collect tax) at large expense to the public purse.
    I am afraid Deliveroo and Hertsmere's lorry drivers have wrecked it for the genuine entrepreneur.
  • Options
    Mr. B, testing times are notoriously devoid of meaning, though.

F1: looks like many races will be one stop.
  • Options

They should be. But they aren't. And the employers are complicit in this whole charade.
    Big employer NI saving.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Bojabob said:

I'm neutral on the change. But note that there is nothing at all rightwing about putting money in working people's pockets. That it has become a feature of leftwingery that clobbering people who work hard and creating disincentives to work is a big problem that the Left has long needed to address.

PAYE comes with a whole load of benefits and security that s/e lacks.
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,951
    Pulpstar said:

Bojabob said:

Truly equalising NI would involve putting self employed NIC up to, IIRC, 25.8%.

• Options

Pulpstar said:

Bojabob said:

For lower income! In engineering, the contractors always get more for the same job, then pay less tax as a double benefit.
    In exchange for far more employment risk, no benefits and zero security.
  • Options
    Bojabob said:

Pulpstar said:

Bojabob said:

Those benefits and security are at the employer's expense not the state though..........
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,969

That is what HMRC are supposed to be stopping. It is illegal under IR35 rules and is the most obvious sign that the system is being played for tax advantage. I have no idea how successful or otherwise HMRC are at stopping this.
  • Options
    edited March 2017

That's what the government is trying to do, but they are going about it in a very heavy-handed way, hitting perfectly legitimate businesses in the process and bringing a huge amount of uncertainty into the tax system. I think the point Pulpstar is making, and I would agree with him, is the same one Phil Hammond made yesterday:

People should have choices about how they work, but those choices should not be driven primarily by differences in tax treatment.

The problem is that the tax system has become so lop-sided that the choice is often driven entirely by the tax treatment. HMRC tries to deal with this by IR35 and other artificial and damaging attempts to stick their fingers in the dyke, rather than tackling the root cause which is the excessive disparity in tax. Yesterday's measure was a tiny attempt at addressing the disparity.
  • Options
    scotslassscotslass Posts: 912
    STV POLL INDEPENDENCE AT 50 PER CENT

A good debate on the meaning of the poll which must be seen as a disaster for the Tory/Labour unionist cause except by Carlotta who will see it as a setback for Sturgeon and Salmond!!

The real point is that when Salmond triggered Indy ref 1 than he did so on the back of an S3 poll showing independence at almost 30 per cent.

Sturgeon will go to her Conference next week on a poll showing independence at 50 per cent!

The world has changed and it is time to change with it.

• Options
    Pulpstar said:

Bojabob said:

Pulpstar said:

Bojabob said:

Those benefits and security are at the employer's expense not the state though..........
    Employers' NICs should be abolished and rolled into income tax because they distort the employee's view of the cost of their employment.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited March 2017
    I think I have found a more useless opposition than the labour party...The west indies cricket team.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Bojabob said:

Pulpstar said:

Bojabob said:

Employers' NICs should be abolished and rolled into income tax because they distort the employee's view of the cost of their employment.
    Blimey. Best of luck passing THAT past the self employed.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Or pensioners...
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,783
    Bojabob said:

Bojabob said:

philiph said:

apply to journalists who have whipped up a good media storm that could be used to beat the ever popular Hammond

Agree - lets see if May & Hammond are made of sterner stuff than the posh boys....
    Those would be the very same "posh boys" you supported wholeheartedly and enthusiastically before they left the stage.
    Why don't you go back to droning on and on and on and on and on and on and on on and on and on and on and on and on and on on and on and on and on and on and on and on on and on and on and on and on and on and on on and on and on and on and on and on and on on and on and on and on and on and on and on on and on and on and on and on and on and on on and on and on and on and on and on and on on and on and on and on and on and on and on on and on and on and on and on and on and on on and on and on and on and on and on and on on and on and on and on and on and on and on on and on and on and on and on and on and on on and on and on and on and on and on and on on and on and on and on and on and on and on on and on and on and on and on and on and on about child benefit?
    I have already poked fun at myself – several times – about that on here this week, entirely unprompted. Where is your sense of humour about your brazen dropping of support for Cam and Ozzy and your similarly inauthentic change of attitude to Brexit? I'm not holding my breath!
    Good for you. I have noted in the past that I thought Cameron was a good Coalition PM (got the deal done) but had let his electoral victory in 2015 go to his head with the bodged 'deal' and 'Trust me - I'm Dave' referendum in what may yet be one of the biggest mis-steps of a PM in 50 years (Heath's 'who governs Britain? being the next closest). Constrained by the quad Osborne was a reasonable Chancellor but too clever by half. His 'punishment budget' followed by its swift cancellation after the vote emptied him of any credibility. I supported Remain and think leaving the EU a bad idea. However, attempting to subvert the will of the British people is a very much worse idea.....once you start down that path 5% off GDP will be the least of your worries.....Clear enough?
  • Options
    edited March 2017

Mr. B, testing times are notoriously devoid of meaning, though.

F1: looks like many races will be one stop.

I'm going by the race sims, FWIW.
    The ultimate pace of the cars is anyone's guess; I have little doubt that Merc have a fair amount in reserve that they haven't shown (& there are some indications that the same is true of Ferrari).
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Or pensioners...
    People with "good" employers would be the least of all by that as one would hope they'd try and keep the costs payroll neutral.....
    It'd sting the self employed, pensioners and those with employers who simply see it as a ruse to reduce payroll costs.
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,723
    Bojabob said:

Pulpstar said:

Bojabob said:

... and usually working away from home, so longer commutes or accommodation costs.
    It's a choice that individuals and companies make, swings and roundabouts with benefits for the country in the flexibility of the workforce.
  • Options
    Bojabob said:

Pulpstar said:

Bojabob said:

4 weeks notice instead of 1. Big security for the staff.

And if your net pay is >50% higher as a contractor, you can cover the costs of staff benefits and still be quids in.
  • Options
  • Options
    matt said:

BudG said:

..essentially the hysteria is solely around Hammond breaking that silly Cameron tax pledge
    "That silly tax pledge" might just have been the difference between Cameron winning a majority in 2015 and having to go into coalition with the LD's again. If it swung a few seats then that would be the case.

So if he had not made "that silly pledge" then it is quite possible that we would have not had the Referendum.

So some might think that a pledge that has had such far-reaching consequences isn't just a "silly pledge"

It's odd though. I wasn't even aware of the pledge until the cut and pasting started here. Perhaps I'm alone in that but I remain to be convinced.
    Just because you hadn't heard of the pledge that May/Hammond have broken, doesn't mean it isn't important.
  • Options
    New French poll on how favourably different politicians are seen.

Figure for those having a positive view of:

Fillon 23% (+1)
    Juppé 47% (+8)
    Macron 45% (+2)
    Hollande 23% (+3)

Changes are relative to a month ago. The article doesn't quote a figure for Le Pen, but maybe it's available elsewhere.

http://www.lefigaro.fr/flash-actu/2017/03/09/97001-20170309FILWWW00242-sondage-fillon-stable-juppe-grimpe.php
  • Options

Bojabob said:

Pulpstar said:

Bojabob said:

... and usually working away from home...
    You mean like all of the contractors who live in the leafy areas around Teesside and work in... Teesside. Of course, that doesn't stop them claiming their daily commute as business mileage to offset the little bit of tax that they might pay.
  • Options
    dr_spyn said:
    May voted for him. Only Poland against.
  • Options

Bojabob said:

Pulpstar said:

Bojabob said:

And if your net pay is >50% higher as a contractor, you can cover the costs of staff benefits and still be quids in.
    But most people don't want to do it. Not so many permanent staff get the 4 weeks notice and if they do it's generally not very often, many freelancers expect to move on every 3 to 6 months.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,898

dr_spyn said:
    May voted for him. Only Poland against.
    Would have expected an abstention, given where we are going, though perhaps that was not an option.
  • Options
    ThreeQuidderThreeQuidder Posts: 6,133

New French poll on how favourably different politicians are seen.

Figure for those having a positive view of:

Fillon 23% (+1)
    Juppé 47% (+8)
    Macron 45% (+2)
    Hollande 23% (+3)

Changes are relative to a month ago. The article doesn't quote a figure for Le Pen, but maybe it's available elsewhere.

http://www.lefigaro.fr/flash-actu/2017/03/09/97001-20170309FILWWW00242-sondage-fillon-stable-juppe-grimpe.php

NDA has moved in to 330/360 on BF, is there anything in particular behind that?
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

HMRC just doesn't have the resources to police this, and Amazon / Uber can lawyer/ tax accountant up on this to convince a judge (Whose job is to interpret the law correctly, not collect tax) at large expense to the public purse.
    I am afraid Deliveroo and Hertsmere's lorry drivers have wrecked it for the genuine entrepreneur.
    Pulpy, I'm no fan of the arrangement.
    I used to get quite pissed off when they used to hark on about us PAYE saps.
    The employer liked it as there was none of the non wage costs to worry about.
    And they were a lot easier to get rid of when necessary.

• Options

Bojabob said:

Pulpstar said:

Bojabob said:

... and usually working away from home...
    You mean like all of the contractors who live in the leafy areas around Teesside and work in... Teesside. Of course, that doesn't stop them claiming their daily commute as business mileage to offset the little bit of tax that they might pay.
    No, I don't mean those.
    Some will no doubt be lucky for a while, but the majority of contractors by the nature of the work aren't.
  • Options

Bojabob said:

Pulpstar said:

Bojabob said:

... and usually working away from home, so longer commutes or accommodation costs.
    It's a choice that individuals and companies make, swings and roundabouts with benefits for the country in the flexibility of the workforce.
    Indeed so.
  • Options

Bojabob said:

Pulpstar said:

Bojabob said:

Swings and roundabouts in terms of pensions (++ PAYE), deductible expenses/taxable income (++ S/E), job security (++ PAYE). But NI ought to, and should be based on income declared from employment for tax purposes

The advantages of PAYE only come from the employer anyway - not the state (Though I accept the edge case of if the business goes bust you might then benefit from the state as an employee, certainly not as a contractor)
  • Options

NDA has moved in to 330/360 on BF, is there anything in particular behind that?

I don't know. He has got his 500 nominations, but that was a couple of days ago.
  • Options

Bojabob said:

Pulpstar said:

Bojabob said:

Many employees are on three months' notice (indeed I am). That's really worth quite a lot.
  • Options

Bojabob said:

Pulpstar said:

Bojabob said:

But most people don't want to do it. Not so many permanent staff get the 4 weeks notice and if they do it's generally not very often, many freelancers expect to move on every 3 to 6 months.
    I have seen plenty sat in the same company for years on end. Indeed, it is expected - if a contractor is given a Lead Engineer role in a 2 year EPC contract, the expectation is that they will see it through. Then if the company lands another similar job, that's another two years for them.

But they aren't an employee. No. Definitely not. Despite being full time at one company for 4 years.

OK, I'm going to stop banging on about this now.
  • Options

Bojabob said:

Bojabob said:

philiph said:

apply to journalists who have whipped up a good media storm that could be used to beat the ever popular Hammond

Good for you. I have noted in the past that I thought Cameron was a good Coalition PM (got the deal done) but had let his electoral victory in 2015 go to his head with the bodged 'deal' and 'Trust me - I'm Dave' referendum in what may yet be one of the biggest mis-steps of a PM in 50 years (Heath's 'who governs Britain? being the next closest). Constrained by the quad Osborne was a reasonable Chancellor but too clever by half. His 'punishment budget' followed by its swift cancellation after the vote emptied him of any credibility. I supported Remain and think leaving the EU a bad idea. However, attempting to subvert the will of the British people is a very much worse idea.....once you start down that path 5% off GDP will be the least of your worries.....Clear enough?
    @Carlotta – clear enough – and fair enough. Thanks.
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    Bojabob said:

Bojabob said:

Pulpstar said:

Bojabob said:

Many employees are on three months' notice (indeed I am). That's really worth quite a lot.
    Again, that benefit of employment comes from your employer not the state though.

The more I think about it, the more William Glenn's proposal to abolish Employer NI and simply wrap it into income tax seems an eminently fair and sensible suggestion.............
  • Options
    scotslass said:

STV POLL INDEPENDENCE AT 50 PER CENT

A good debate on the meaning of the poll which must be seen as a disaster for the Tory/Labour unionist cause except by Carlotta who will see it as a setback for Sturgeon and Salmond!!

The real point is that when Salmond triggered Indy ref 1 than he did so on the back of an S3 poll showing independence at almost 30 per cent.

Sturgeon will go to her Conference next week on a poll showing independence at 50 per cent!

The world has changed and it is time to change with it.

Hi Scotslass

You also have Wee Nicky who is a masterclass of a politician and a brilliant campaigner, compared to Wee Eck who is merely an excellent politician and a great campaigner. Worth a point or two, this time around?

Good luck – I wish you and your great country well.
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,290
    NI rise is very strongly supported in comments on BBC website.

See link - open comments at bottom, sort by highest rated.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-39219275
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Bojabob said:

Bojabob said:

Pulpstar said:

Bojabob said:

Again, that benefit of employment comes from your employer not the state though*.

The more I think about it, the more William Glenn's proposal to abolish Employer NI and simply wrap it into income tax seems an eminently fair and sensible suggestion.............
    Would that again lead to another tax on work and not on wealth though?

If the government was serious about creating a fair, meritocratic tax system it would look again – and properly – at inheritance. Instead it focuses on clobbering work not unearned wealth.

*P.S. 40% of the economy is in the public sector so your argument, while sound in and of itself, only goes so far
  • Options
    philiphphiliph Posts: 4,704
    Problem is there are self employed who are genuine and there are self employed who are tax efficient.

The tax efficient are in two distinct groups:

Those who are pushed that way so that the contractor can be tax efficient and avoid employers NI, Amazon? Uber? Delivery drivers?

Those who earn above average incomes and can mitigate tax liability via self employment, payment by dividend etc, the Ken Livingstone or some of the media types, some consultants, GPs?, and I should think some footballers to name a few.

How to moderate the behaviour and collect fair tax from these two groups (or the contractor / employer) without hitting the genuine self employed is the question.

Answers on a postcard to:
  • Options

Bojabob said:

Pulpstar said:

Bojabob said:

I have seen plenty sat in the same company for years on end. Indeed, it is expected - if a contractor is given a Lead Engineer role in a 2 year EPC contract, the expectation is that they will see it through. Then if the company lands another similar job, that's another two years for them.

But they aren't an employee. No. Definitely not. Despite being full time at one company for 4 years.

Then HMRC need to take a long hard look at the goings-on at your company. Contractors who have be retained by the same firm for four years are employees under the law. That they haven't been pulled into PAYE is testament to the failure of HMRC to enforce the rules and indeed the brass neck of your directors to risk censure by trying to circumnavigate them.
  • Options
    I don't think this'll happen, but this is a time of strange events*:
    1) Sturgeon calls for a referendum before Article 50 negotiations are finished
    2) May is unable to stop an 'advisory' referendum and decides better to halt negotiations and hold a proper one
    3) Article 50 rescinded, temporarily
    4) Scottish referendum, they vote to Leave
    5) Article 50 remains suspended whilst the UK separates
    6) New election
    7) New referendum for England/Wales/Northern Ireland on EU
    8) Remain wins, following the trauma (economic etc) of Scottish departure
    9) England, Wales, Northern Ireland veto Scottish membership of EU following bitter negotiations

*And I'm procrastinating.
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,419

Pulpstar said:

Bojabob said:

Pulpstar said:

Bojabob said:

There is a good theoretical argument for that. Good luck trying it.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,957
    Pulpstar said:

Employed staff on £32,000 a year currently pay £6,170, jointly with their employer, compared with £2,300 for the self-employed.

Come on, that is the real story here isn't it.

When I heard that, the change seemed perfectly fair. Most/All self employed people I now diddle their tax anyway, I thought that was par for the course?
  • Options
    @Bojabob I fully accept the need for there to be a state. I make no distinction between a public and private sector employee in my argument.
    William Glenn's proposal would actually lead to a tax increase on ALL income earnt between £14 and £43k (Was that the NI employer band ?, sorry I'm not a tax specialist) - and so wouldn't penalise income earnt through work over that earnt through investment say (As happens at the moment).
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,419

Pulpstar said:

Or pensioners...
    That of course is once again the elephant in the room. Why should a non-productive individual with an income of, say, £25k, pay substantially less tax than a productive individual earning exactly the same?

But the wailing at the pensioners' tax allowance being *increased* at a rate not quite as fast as that of non-pensioners was loud enough. God know what it'd be like if you suddenly dropped one of the biggest tax rises in history on to their doormat.
  • Options

Bojabob said:

Pulpstar said:

Bojabob said:

If contracting is so great why don't more people do it? Maybe they don't have the skills to a sufficient level. However i suspect that they think the hassle and insecurity involved outweighs the benefits.
    Thinking about it from the viewpoint of what is good for the country, if a company can get a person with a particular skill who is willing to come from a different part of the country for a project lasting say 6 months and then can be got rid of easily then that is advantageous.
    Making contracting less beneficial will result in fewer people doing it and that may disadvantage the economy.
    If a contractor is in one place for 4 years then the management should make him permanent or replace him with a permanent member of staff.
  • Options
    And for buttons too.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,224
    ‘I completely support Scotland becoming independent' 28%

‘I completely support Scotland staying part of the UK’ 38%

Yoons a bunch of brainwashed cultists, who knew?

Meanwhile for the cooncil elections that will be a poll on appetite for Indy Ref II (©Tessy), SCons 19%, SLab 17%, very much an 'MOE' difference.

What's the opposite of a Scottish Tory surge klaxon, a wee, damp, SCon squib mebbes?
  • Options

appetite for Indy Ref II (©Tessy),
    Nailed on for announcement then, eh, Mrs Brown?
  • Options
    But the author of Article 50 has already ridiculed claims that the treaty clause cannot be stopped once it has been invoked.

Lord Kerr told peers during a parliamentary session last month: "If, having looked into abyss, we changed our minds about withdrawal, we certainly could - and no-one in Brussels could stop us."
  • Options

"Maybe during the procedure of divorce they will say 'we love you that much that we are not able to conclude that divorce'."

I can't Leave if Leaving is without EU... :)
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    edited March 2017
    The referendum losers are out in force today.
  • Options
    @AlastairMeeks It is a cute tactic by the EU to leave the door open for rejoining at any point in the two year negotiation phase.

Emphasises the point that we are leaving through choice, and not being kicked out. It may also strengthen their position in post break up arbitration.......
  • Options
    mattmatt Posts: 3,789

matt said:

BudG said:

Just because you hadn't heard of the pledge that May/Hammond have broken, doesn't mean it isn't important.
    And I didn't say that so don't put words in my mouth. It was a response to the idea that it swung constituencies at the last General Election. Possible but lacking evidence.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,349
    England in serious danger of screwing this up and making a game of it.
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    There's a rather good set of calculators here for comparing employment/dividends/self-employment:

http://www.employedandselfemployed.co.uk/limited-company-tax-calculator

You start with a given level of profit to pay to yourself. For a company, you can set how much is paid in salary (remembering that you have to gross it up by Employer's NI) and it assumes the rest is paid by dividend. Here's what you get if you are a BBC luvvie with £100K to pay yourself (2016/2017 tax rules):

Employee paid entirely under PAYE:

To distribute: £100K
    Employer's NI: (£11.2K)
    Net nominal Salary: £88.8K
    Employee NI: (£5.1K)
    PAYE tax on salary (£24.7K)
    Net take-home pay: £59K

Pay yourself mainly by dividends:

Salary £11K (to use up the personal allowance)
    Employer's NI: (£0.4K)
    Employee NI: (£0.35K)
    Corporation tax: (£17.7K)
    Dividend payable: £70.9K
    Tax on dividend (£14.7K)
    Net take-home pay: £67K

(The self-employed case is similar)

So under PAYE you are getting about £8K more than if you can use a service company or be self-employed, an effective tax rate of 41%, rather than 33%.

The tax system is broken.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Bojabob said:

Pulpstar said:

Bojabob said:

Yes. Absolutely toxic politically and is in any case yet another tax on work and not on wealth.
  • Options
    EssexitEssexit Posts: 1,956
    Bojabob said:

Pulpstar said:

Bojabob said:

Bojabob said:

Pulpstar said:

Bojabob said:

Again, that benefit of employment comes from your employer not the state though*.

If the government was serious about creating a fair, meritocratic tax system it would look again – and properly – at inheritance. Instead it focuses on clobbering work not unearned wealth.

*P.S. 40% of the economy is in the public sector so your argument, while sound in and of itself, only goes so far
    The amount to be raised from taxing inheritance is pretty limited, and the emotional aspect makes it politically difficult. A tax on the unimproved value of land is a genuinely interesting idea though. Progressive, non-distortionary, and difficult to avoid or evade.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,277

There's a rather good set of calculators here for comparing employment/dividends/self-employment:

You start with a given level of profit to pay to yourself. For a company, you can set how much is paid in salary (remembering that you have to gross it up by Employer's NI) and it assumes the rest is paid by dividend. Here's what you get if you are a BBC luvvie with £100K to pay yourself (2016/2017 tax rules):

Dividend payable: £70.9K)
    Tax on dividend (£14.7K)

So under PAYE you are paying about £8K more than if you can use a service company or be self-employed, an effective tax rate of 41%, rather than 33%.

Potentially Hammond has opened Pandora's box with all this. Maybe deliberately?

The problem it seems to me is there are two types of dividend. The sort that a proper shareholder makes in say at PLC and the sort which is used to pay a single director in a self-employed kind of scenario. The latter might be taxed more like income but how do you differentiate.
  • Options
    Essexit said:

Bojabob said:

Pulpstar said:

Bojabob said:

Bojabob said:

Pulpstar said:

Bojabob said:

The amount to be raised from taxing inheritance is pretty limited, and the emotional aspect makes it politically difficult. A tax on the unimproved value of land is a genuinely interesting idea though. Progressive, non-distortionary, and difficult to avoid or evade.
    Yes, well worth a look.
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    Essexit said:

Bojabob said:

Pulpstar said:

Bojabob said:

Bojabob said:

Pulpstar said:

Bojabob said:

My suggestion for inheritance tax is that it is tax free for the person who leaves the money, but the person receiving the inheritance is taxed incurs a very high tax on whatever they leave up to that amount

So

I leave my son £10m
    He receives £10m
    He leaves his son £20m
    His son receives £15m

That should encourage those left a decent whack to make it work for them, and would kill the family fortune of those who dont
  • Options
    OGH: "With the second BREXIT bill defeat in the Lords, the sacking of Michael Heseltine and the reception the budget has got this has probably been the worst week of Theresa May’s government."

Without a doubt and I fully expect the next batch of polls to demonstrate precisely that.
  • Options
    Stokes showing why he is the million dollar man!
  • Options
    philiphphiliph Posts: 4,704

Tax on dividend (£14.7K)

So under PAYE you are paying about £8K more than if you can use a service company or be self-employed, an effective tax rate of 41%, rather than 33%.

The problem it seems to me is there are two types of dividend. The sort that a proper shareholder makes in say at PLC and the sort which is used to pay a single director in a self-employed kind of scenario. The latter might be taxed more like income but how do you differentiate.
    By having a rate that is 20% tax where total dividends paid are up to 7.5% of the company profit and 40% tax rate if the dividend is over 7.5% of the company profit, for example.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Stokes and Woakes in.

I still think Sam Vokes should have become a cricketer not a footballer.
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    DavidL said:

Nah...WI batting is crap and england just about to go past highest ever ODI score on this ground.
  • Options
    Bojabob said:

Pulpstar said:

Bojabob said:

Pulpstar said:

Bojabob said:

Yes. Absolutely toxic politically and is in any case yet another tax on work and not on wealth.
    It may be toxic but not because it's a tax on work - it isn't. It would shift the burden away from earned income.
  • Options
    LennonLennon Posts: 1,735

DavidL said:

Stokes and Woakes in.

You're alright - Surrey's Ben Foakes will start keeping for England at some point in the next couple of years.
  • Options
    isam said:

Essexit said:

Bojabob said:

Pulpstar said:

Bojabob said:

Bojabob said:

Pulpstar said:

Bojabob said:

My suggestion for inheritance tax is that it is tax free for the person who leaves the money, but the person receiving the inheritance is taxed incurs a very high tax on whatever they leave up to that amount

So

I leave my son £10m
    He receives £10m
    He leaves his son £20m
    His son receives £15m

That should encourage those left a decent whack to make it work for them, and would kill the family fortune of those who dont
    Do you have a son to leave your worldly riches too :> ?
  • Options
    So let me get this right.

To leave the EU we have to write a letter saying: "We want to leave, give us Article 50 and half the house, you bastard."

To stay in the EU we have to write a letter saying: "I love you."

Given the EU's reputation for pointless bureaucracy, this strikes me as a rather simple and efficient system – perhaps overly emotive, but one cannot have everything.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,056
    Anecdote alert:

We had a leak from our boiler overnight, so I called in our usual man with a van. A talkative chap at the best of times, he ranted about the NIC change.

He also used a phrase something like: "we need a ******* opposition in this country."

A remarkably astute man. ;)
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,349

Stokes showing why he is the million dollar man!

Woakes getting way too much of the strike for my taste.
  • Options
    CyanCyan Posts: 1,262
    edited March 2017
    The Council of State, France's supreme administrative court, told lawyers today that it has listed Nicolas Dupont-Aignan's claim against TV network TF1 for a public hearing on 16 March. Dupont-Aignan is arguing that the network is wrong to try to include only five candidates in the debate it has scheduled for four days later.

This the first time that presidential debates will be held on TV before the first round, but they are likely to be key. In the primaries such debates made a powerful contribution to the rise of candidates Fillon and Hamon, who in the polls had previously been a long way behind the leaders.
  • Options

Anecdote alert:

We had a leak from our boiler overnight, so I called in our usual man with a van. A talkative chap at the best of times, he ranted about the NIC change.

He also used a phrase something like: "we need a ******* opposition in this country."

Wait until he hears about mcmao's tax plans...50p tax rate & 20% wealth tax.
  • Options
    Lennon said:

DavidL said:

Stokes and Woakes in.

You're alright - Surrey's Ben Foakes will start keeping for England at some point in the next couple of years.
    Great bunch of Blokes.
  • Options
    Lennon said:

DavidL said:

Stokes and Woakes in.

We need more of these people. And they should play in Sevenoaks.
  • Options

Anecdote alert:

I hope you gave him a powerpoint presentation on employee NI vs self employed NI, and how he really isn't losing out.
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981
    As a rule of thumb, 4% of respondents to any given poll are completely off the wall - as in, they answer "yes" to the question "have you ever been decapitated?" and say they will vote for a non-existent candidate. So from 27 PMs you should be able to elicit 1 (rounding down) barmy answer per question.
  • Options
    LennonLennon Posts: 1,735
    philiph said:

Tax on dividend (£14.7K)

By having a rate that is 20% tax where total dividends paid are up to 7.5% of the company profit and 40% tax rate if the dividend is over 7.5% of the company profit, for example.
    Genuine question, but why should Dividend Income be taxed less than Salary Income? There is potentially a theoretical argument that it should be more (as you should encourage work, rather than living off the profit of capital). Can you not just treat Dividend Income the same as any other Income and then the issue goes away?
  • Options

Anecdote alert:

Wait until he hears about mcmao's tax plans...50p tax rate & 20% wealth tax.
    Straight out of the proper classical marx theory that one. The equivalent of bodyline bowling, except with Labour as the batsman.

Has Jezza come out in favour of this one ? I've always fancied him as being ever so slightly to the right of McDonnell, haven't ever heard that level of economic lunacy from even Sinn Fein !
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

isam said:

Essexit said:

Bojabob said:

Pulpstar said:

Bojabob said:

Bojabob said:

Pulpstar said:

Bojabob said:

So

I leave my son £10m
    He receives £10m
    He leaves his son £20m
    His son receives £15m

Do you have a son to leave your worldly riches too :> ?
    You think I have 10m quid?!
  • Options
    Lennon said:

philiph said:

Tax on dividend (£14.7K)

Genuine question, but why should Dividend Income be taxed less than Salary Income? There is potentially a theoretical argument that it should be more (as you should encourage work, rather than living off the profit of capital). Can you not just treat Dividend Income the same as any other Income and then the issue goes away?
    The more you think about all this logically, the more you realise how PAYE employed man is really really screwed over.
  • Options
    Cyan said:

The Council of State, France's supreme administrative court, told lawyers today that it has listed Nicolas Dupont-Aignan's claim against TV network TF1 for a public hearing on 16 March. Dupont-Aignan is arguing that the network is wrong to try to include only five candidates in the debate it has scheduled for four days later.

This the first time that presidential debates will be held on TV before the first round, but in the primaries such debates made a powerful contribution to the rise of candidates Fillon and Hamon. Before the debates, both had been a long way behind the leaders in the polls.

That might explain the shortening. Presumably if he wins his case he'll shorten further.

That would be good (£2 at 560...)
This discussion has been closed.