Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Les Republicans. You’ve lost that lovin’ Fillon?

2»

Comments

• Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    MattW said:

Emma Watson posed in a see-through top for the cover of this month's Vanity Fair magazine, she was accused by some of being anti-feminist.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-39170490

I presume the same knobbers who think Germaine Greer is a disgrace to the causes of feminism and equality.

Probably not imo; GG would managed to be topless, sleeping with everybody in sight, and taken seriously at once.

Anyhoo, the Beeboids have misreported certain details - trolling for outrage-clicks as per, perhaps? The top on the cover isn't seethrough:

I'd say Watson's problem is that she is positioning herself as an English version of Charlotte Church, burbling on about a kind of hectoring feminism that most people rejected some time ago.
    You aren't suggesting BBC doing a spot of Fake News?
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    A Russian politician has proposed legalising football hooliganism and turning it into a sport.

Igor Lebedev has drawn up rules for "draka" - the Russian word for fight - which he said would involve 20 unarmed competitors on each side in an organised brawl.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/39172314
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,989
    Mr. Urquhart, sounds like the new Turkish constitution would just formalise and recognise reality. How many of the judiciary, university lecturers, journalists, soldiers have been locked up, suspended or fired?
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,983

Frankly, I'd be surprised if Obama wasn't snooping in some way on the Trump campaign. This is the US that we're talking about. Of course, Trump was undoubtedly reciprocating. Why is anyone up in arms about this?

How could Trump have reciprocated? He didn't have the FBI at his disposal.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,352

A Russian politician has proposed legalising football hooliganism and turning it into a sport.

Igor Lebedev has drawn up rules for "draka" - the Russian word for fight - which he said would involve 20 unarmed competitors on each side in an organised brawl.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/39172314

FIGHT!

Harry Hill is on at 6.15 tonight :lol:
  • Options
    Mr. Urquhart (2), in the 14th century an Englishman asked for an indulgence from the church for accidentally killing a friend of his during a football match. The friend ran into him so hard his dagger's sheath burst and the blade killed him.
  • Options
    CyanCyan Posts: 1,262
    edited March 2017
    In the French presidential election, once a nomination is in it may not be changed, even if the candidate withdraws. (Source.) It will be interesting on Tuesday when the Constitutional Court updates its list. A nomination for Juppé is precisely that, even if he hasn't said he is standing. Got to wonder whether LR central office has been on the phone to many mayors and other elected officials.
  • Options
    Damn, Billings gone second ball!
  • Options
    RobD said:

Frankly, I'd be surprised if Obama wasn't snooping in some way on the Trump campaign. This is the US that we're talking about. Of course, Trump was undoubtedly reciprocating. Why is anyone up in arms about this?

I know, but I'm sure The Donald knows a few black ops guys. Probably. Maybe.
  • Options
    edited March 2017

RobD said:

To accuse him of spying on a sitting president would take the Russian allegations to another level entirely!
  • Options
    edited March 2017

RobD said:

Called things like Sergei, Yury and Andrei and all with surnames ending in ...ov ?
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,273
    Fillon drifting out to 20 on BF.
  • Options
    RobD said:

RobD said:

To accuse him of spying on a sitting president would take the Russian allegations to another level entirely!
    I know. I've gone a bit Tapestry.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,626
    edited March 2017

MattW said:

Emma Watson posed in a see-through top for the cover of this month's Vanity Fair magazine, she was accused by some of being anti-feminist.

I presume the same knobbers who think Germaine Greer is a disgrace to the causes of feminism and equality.

Probably not imo; GG would managed to be topless, sleeping with everybody in sight, and taken seriously at once.

Anyhoo, the Beeboids have misreported certain details - trolling for outrage-clicks as per, perhaps? The top on the cover isn't seethrough:

I'd say Watson's problem is that she is positioning herself as an English version of Charlotte Church, burbling on about a kind of hectoring feminism that most people rejected some time ago.
    You aren't suggesting BBC doing a spot of Fake News?
    Moi? :-)

Depends on your definition of Fake News.

I'm pointing out that the BBC are not - certainly on some areas of the website - particularly professional or accurate. I would make the same comment about the Today Programme.

The claim is not much better than the Guardian a few weeks ago putting into its headline and article that Classical Guitars were shaped after Women's Bodies, which as far as I could tell was a simple lie (*); as a bit of extra sexist spice in a puff-piece promoting a new non-boob-crushing guitar.
    https://www.theguardian.com/music/2017/jan/26/cate-le-bon-first-guitar-designed-for-women-st-vincent

The G deleted no fewer than 4 requests for evidence of that claim as "not meeting community standards", presumably because they requested a fact.

(*) Given the G, I cannot distinguish between deliberate lies, stupid lies, ignorant lies, and "swallowed some gibberish hook, line and sinker because they don't factcheck" lies.
  • Options
    CyanCyan Posts: 1,262
    Cyan said:

Got to wonder whether LR central office has been on the phone to many mayors and other elected officials.

Libération have got a counter up: 285 of those who supported Fillon have changed their minds. Not everyone on the list nominated him.

• Options

RobD said:

Called things like Sergei, Yury and Andrei and all with surnames ending in ...ov ?
    Black guys???
  • Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905
    surbiton said:

Artist said:

justin124 said:

FPT
    Artist said:
    'It doesn't seem encouraging at all to me. Things were going OK for Corbyn in February 2016, if you look at the YouGov's during the last leadership contest, the released figures from Election Data so far don't show much of a drop at all. Corbyn would still win against a moderate by roughly 55/45, unbelievable. '

A Yougov poll of Labour members at the end of August 2016 showed 52% wanting to see him lead Labour into the next election. 41% did not. Today's poll has only 44% wanting him as leader at the election compared with 50% who do not. That represents a 9% swing against Corbyn in 6 months when Don't Knows are excluded.Pretty close to a tipping point I would think.

Wouldn't that still be 53/47 and even then it may be overstated by people who don't want him to go immediately. The +17 approval in today's poll means there hasn't been a sea change against Corbyn just days/weeks after a terrible election result and supporting the Tories on Brexit.
    There will be an ocean change after we lose Gorton. Or, there will be another party. The Democrats.
    Surely, even in the current climate, Labour won't come close to losing Gorton?!?! They held Stoke Central with room to spare, after all.
  • Options
    Mr. Cyan, cheers for that info.

Mr. Borough, looks like punters think Fillon will Filloff.
  • Options

surbiton said:

Artist said:

justin124 said:

FPT
    Artist said:
    'It doesn't seem encouraging at all to me. Things were going OK for Corbyn in February 2016, if you look at the YouGov's during the last leadership contest, the released figures from Election Data so far don't show much of a drop at all. Corbyn would still win against a moderate by roughly 55/45, unbelievable. '

A Yougov poll of Labour members at the end of August 2016 showed 52% wanting to see him lead Labour into the next election. 41% did not. Today's poll has only 44% wanting him as leader at the election compared with 50% who do not. That represents a 9% swing against Corbyn in 6 months when Don't Knows are excluded.Pretty close to a tipping point I would think.

Wouldn't that still be 53/47 and even then it may be overstated by people who don't want him to go immediately. The +17 approval in today's poll means there hasn't been a sea change against Corbyn just days/weeks after a terrible election result and supporting the Tories on Brexit.
    There will be an ocean change after we lose Gorton. Or, there will be another party. The Democrats.
    Surely, even in the current climate, Labour won't come close to losing Gorton?!?! They held Stoke Central with room to spare, after all.
    Expectations management, perhaps? :smiley:
  • Options

surbiton said:

Artist said:

justin124 said:

FPT
    Artist said:

Expectations management from surbiton :)
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190

surbiton said:

Artist said:

justin124 said:

FPT
    Artist said:

Kaufman probably did have a personal vote, but it would probably need a George Galloway style competitor for Labour to lose it.
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    Artist said:

justin124 said:

FPT
    Artist said:

Wouldn't that still be 53/47 and even then it may be overstated by people who don't want him to go immediately. The +17 approval in today's poll means there hasn't been a sea change against Corbyn just days/weeks after a terrible election result and supporting the Tories on Brexit.</blockquote
    According to last August's Yougov poll 5% of the total sample wanted Corbyn to step down before the election - despite intending to support him in that leadership election.
  • Options
    Mr. Glenn, must encourage Fillon to toddle off, but he's making a bloody meal of it.

"If it were done when 'tis done, then 'twere well. It were done quickly..."
  • Options

Mr. Cyan, cheers for that info.

Mr. Borough, looks like punters think Fillon will Filloff.

Much better pun than TSE's, Mr Dancer.
  • Options
    AnneJGPAnneJGP Posts: 2,869
    tlg86 said:

surbiton said:

Artist said:

justin124 said:

FPT
    Artist said:

Kaufman probably did have a personal vote, but it would probably need a George Galloway style competitor for Labour to lose it.
    ISTR that someone posted a chart showing how Mr Kaufmann's vote had declined over the years, in the context of a discussion about a mandatory retirement age for MPs.

Good evening, everybody.
  • Options
    Fire up the outrage bus....

Radio 4's Jenni Murray criticised over trans women article

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-39173398
  • Options

twitter.com/europeelects/status/838448506394329088

margin of error :D
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190
    AnneJGP said:

tlg86 said:

surbiton said:

Artist said:

justin124 said:

FPT
    Artist said:

ISTR that someone posted a chart showing how Mr Kaufmann's vote had declined over the years, in the context of a discussion about a mandatory retirement age for MPs.

Good evening, everybody.
    Yes, it declined from 65.3% in 1997 to 50.1% in 2010 before rebounding to 67.1% in 2015 thanks to the coalition.
  • Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905
    RobD said:

surbiton said:

Artist said:

justin124 said:

FPT
    Artist said:

Expectations management, perhaps? :smiley:
    Possibly, but if so then it's pretty bloody desperate (although that said I seem to recall reports to the effect that Rebecca Long-Bailey was spinning heroically on similar lines this morning...)
  • Options
    AnneJGP said:

tlg86 said:

surbiton said:

Artist said:

justin124 said:

FPT
    Artist said:

Good evening, everybody.
    Here are the numbers. The lower figures in 2005/10 were due to a large LD rise.

2015: 67.1%
    2010: 50.1%
    2005: 53.2%
    2001: 62.8%
    1997: 65.3%
    1992: 62.3%
    198:7 54.4%
    1983: 51.2%
  • Options
    AnneJGPAnneJGP Posts: 2,869
    edited March 2017
    tlg86 said:

AnneJGP said:

tlg86 said:

surbiton said:

Artist said:

justin124 said:

FPT
    Artist said:

Good evening, everybody.
    Yes, it declined from 65.3% in 1997 to 50.1% in 2010 before rebounding to 67.1% in 2015 thanks to the coalition.
    Thanks. I (have) had a vague idea there was a ~50% in there somewhere, but hadn't remembered the leap in 2015.

Edited to change to the past tense.
  • Options
    Good evening, Miss JGP.

Dr. Prasannan, thanks.
  • Options

That is a tricky one. I firmly believe everyone has the right to live their life as they want, but I also feel a bit uneasy that putting a dress on and calling yourself Shirley makes you a woman.
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,388

That is a tricky one. I firmly believe everyone has the right to live their life as they want, but I also feel a bit uneasy that putting a dress on and calling yourself Shirley makes you a woman.
    People who have gone through a sex change very rarely decide they want to do so on a whim. Indeed the process takes years.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,314
    MattW said:

Probably not imo.

After all the outrage I went and looked at this picture on the Mail's website. I have a funny feeling that the real tits in this story are the journalists. They've been so busy commenting on Watson's clothes and breasts that they appear to have overlooked a strange line on her stomach that looks suspiciously like a stretch mark. If so, maybe we should be congratulating her on inter alia a very puckish sense of humour?
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,048
    edited March 2017

It's a good job then it involves a little more than putting a dress on and calling yourself Shirley ...

As an aside, I had a colleague who prompted a story in one of the nationals that went something like: "Tomb raider woman was a man."

Ah, it was actually the much better: "SEX-SWAP SECRET OF CYBERBABE LARA INVENTOR"
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,030
    MattW said:

Probably not imo.

Pity it was not covered in brown paper
  • Options
    F1: no confirmation as yet Wehrlein will be fit for the test. If he isn't, Antonio Giovinazzi will deputise again.
  • Options

How about Sue Neil?

:lol::lol::lol:
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @PolhomeEditor: You'd have thought that Jeremy Corbyn's media team would have alerted all political journalists he was publishing his tax returns today.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,314
    Scott_P said:

@PolhomeEditor: You'd have thought that Jeremy Corbyn's media team would have alerted all political journalists he was publishing his tax returns today.

You are suggesting that Corbyn's team would have done something vaguely organised and sensible? That's a bold call.
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787

Do you often put a dress on and call yourself Shirley?
  • Options
    Juppe under 4 on Betfair. Shorter than Le Pen.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Does anyone care
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,946
    tlg86 said:

AnneJGP said:

tlg86 said:

surbiton said:

Artist said:

justin124 said:

FPT
    Artist said:

Good evening, everybody.
    Coalition really were too generous to pensioners ;)
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    isam said:
    Don't give Putin any further expansionist ideas.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,935
    Fillon saying he had 200,000 people at his rally today !
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,092
    Pulpstar said:

Fillon saying he had 200,000 people at his rally today !

In Trump crowd units.
  • Options
    My French is limited but he is saying he won't renounce his candidacy, was asked directly.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    JackW said:

isam said:
    Don't give Putin any further expansionist ideas.
    Currently occupying Belgravia and Stamford Bridge...
  • Options
    JackW said:

Do you often put a dress on and call yourself Shirley?
    Never. I'm Tiffany every first Thursday of the month.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

My French is limited but he is saying he won't renounce his candidacy, was asked directly.

"Nobody can stop me from being a candidate" he said.

Hmm...
  • Options
    Quite apart from the betting I don't think he has any need to stand down. He won the right primary fair and square. The idea of bringing in Juppe as some sort of anti corruption candidate is utterly odd too when you think about it. Juppe was convicted ! iirc.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,651
    Pulpstar said:

Quite apart from the betting I don't think he has any need to stand down. He won the right primary fair and square. The idea of bringing in Juppe as some sort of anti corruption candidate is utterly odd too when you think about it. Juppe was convicted ! iirc.

"Why vote for the alleged crook when you can have the real deal?"
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,952
    edited March 2017
    England making a mess of this run chase, were 1.04 now 1.96
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,332
    isam said:

England making a mess of this run chase, were 1.04 now 1.96

Spin proving very tricky. Just need to keep calm and keep Root there.
  • Options
    "Je ferai une déclaration à la presse demain à Bordeaux à 10h30." Juppé says...
  • Options

NEW THREAD

• Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @PolhomeEditor: So ... it looks like the 2015/16 tax return Jeremy Corbyn published on his website today is wrong.
This discussion has been closed.