Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Northern Ireland Assembly Election Result : March 2nd 2017

2»

Comments

• Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826

As an aside, endnotes in books, rather than footnotes, are the work of Satan. Who the hell (excepting Beelzebub) thinks that it's better to have to consult the back of the book rather than have a footnote?

Unless it's a glossary. Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time glossaries could be quite amusing in parts.
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981

As an aside, endnotes in books, rather than footnotes, are the work of Satan. Who the hell (excepting Beelzebub) thinks that it's better to have to consult the back of the book rather than have a footnote?

Lazy compositors? It is presumably much harder work to keep footnotes in the right place than endnotes as a work is revised; or rather it was until the advent of LaTex which does it all for you.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,987
    Mortimer said:

When my leader is loyal towards the party, I'm loyal towards them. When they become as good as Lib Dems whilst in office, I tend otherwise...

So you are loyal. Until you are not.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,715

Top tip - two book marks!
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,401
    Ishmael_Z said:

Lazy compositors? It is presumably much harder work to keep footnotes in the right place than endnotes as a work is revised; or rather it was until the advent of LaTex which does it all for you.
    It's because endnotes are cheaper to print. No other reason.

I agree with you they are very inferior to footnotes in every possible way apart from that.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,010
    edited March 2017
    Mr. Rentool, when reading it, I do shove the bookmark in the back, but it's still tedious.

Mr. Z, perhaps. My annoyance is exacerbated by the footnotes in the introduction.

Mr. Thompson, indeed, but a glossary is more akin to an appendix.

Edited extra bit: Mr. Doethur, I was unaware of that. Cheers for the info.
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584

Mr. Eagles, is it something like "tell you what I want, I really really want"?

Much more subtler than that.

TSE: The man who redefines "subtle".

• Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,401
    Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

Look at it this way. Calm, measured opposition gains ideological traction, fundraising and pan-national support.

Marching on the coast doesn't convince the flyover states of the validity of liberal arguments.

You're a soccer mom in Iowa - say - and voted for Trump despite some reservations. Marching makes the opposition look far too liberal to attract voters next time around.

In your post you said 'real opposition', not 'persuading Rust Belt voters'. Those two things are not necessarily the same for a start.

Secondly, Donald Trump was hardly 'calm, measured' during his campaign or even now - and he still won.

Furthermore, the Women's March was (generally) calm and measured. It was a peaceful protest. Many die-hard Conservatives won't see protest as peaceful and calm because it is a method of opposition that is generally disliked by them. But the Left have employed methods of protest before on issues that they care about - and have won.

Moreover, a 'Conservative' issue is not necessarily an issue which decides elections. It is likely to be issues such as the economy, healthcare, and immigration which will be significant in determining whether Rust Belt voters swing the Democrats way, as opposed to abortion.
    The left sneaks the odd victory through non conventional means. Meanwhile the right and centre flourish by convincing voters....
    Bad example, Mortimer. Trump lost the vote, and won by campaigning unconventionally in states his opponent was too stupid to think were vulnerable.
  • Options
    Ishmael_Z said:

Any modern Word Processor will handle footnotes with ease.

• Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,010
    Anyway, I must be off. Tomorrow could be quite an interesting political day. And F1 testing resumes on the 7th. Just three weeks until the first race weekend.
  • Options

Ishmael_Z said:

Really? Word is beyond useless for purposes of producing print-ready files; haven't tried anything else. I suspect LaTex would blow your socks off if you tried it.
  • Options
    midwintermidwinter Posts: 1,112

midwinter said:

Cameron probably thought that people who based their entire political philosophy on one issue were crazy. Hardly makes him a Lib Dem does it.

Don't ask people what they think of an issue then be surprised when they answer. That's like asking a group of people if they want Chinese or Indian for dinner then getting angry that they said Chinese while you wanted Indian. Don't give a choice if you aren't happy with both outcomes.
    Yeah. He got it wrong, not so much by calling a referendum but by not remaining neutral. Nonetheless campaigning to remain in Europe doesn't make him a Lib Dem. It would also have made the future of his party less dependent on the success of Brexit.

If it goes wrong and Labour pick a centrist, electable leader which WILL happen sometime sooner rather than later then the double digit poll leads will last about as long as the Brown bounce.
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,956
    viewcode said:

Mortimer said:

When my leader is loyal towards the party, I'm loyal towards them. When they become as good as Lib Dems whilst in office, I tend otherwise...

I'm as loyal as my leaders.

If they desert the party, is it any wonder I stay behind?
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

Look at it this way. Calm, measured opposition gains ideological traction, fundraising and pan-national support.

Marching on the coast doesn't convince the flyover states of the validity of liberal arguments.

You're a soccer mom in Iowa - say - and voted for Trump despite some reservations. Marching makes the opposition look far too liberal to attract voters next time around.

In your post you said 'real opposition', not 'persuading Rust Belt voters'. Those two things are not necessarily the same for a start.

Secondly, Donald Trump was hardly 'calm, measured' during his campaign or even now - and he still won.

Furthermore, the Women's March was (generally) calm and measured. It was a peaceful protest. Many die-hard Conservatives won't see protest as peaceful and calm because it is a method of opposition that is generally disliked by them. But the Left have employed methods of protest before on issues that they care about - and have won.

Moreover, a 'Conservative' issue is not necessarily an issue which decides elections. It is likely to be issues such as the economy, healthcare, and immigration which will be significant in determining whether Rust Belt voters swing the Democrats way, as opposed to abortion.
    The left sneaks the odd victory through non conventional means. Meanwhile the right and centre flourish by convincing voters....
    Bad example, Mortimer. Trump lost the vote, and won by campaigning unconventionally in states his opponent was too stupid to think were vulnerable.
    Hehe - I wondered who would pick me up on that.

But, numbers aside, he won according to the rules of the election.
  • Options
    Ishmael_Z said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Really? Word is beyond useless for purposes of producing print-ready files; haven't tried anything else. I suspect LaTex would blow your socks off if you tried it.

Hey. It's winter.

I need my socks on, thank you very much.

• Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,974
    ydoethur said:

Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

Give credit where it's due. Hillary didn't want their votes. The Ascendant were going to sweep her to victory.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,002
    Fundamentally Foster's position is weaker than Fillon because she is dependant upon the support of her colleagues.
    When you're running for a presidency, as Trump did then you can to a certain extent go it alone.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,449
    ydoethur said:

Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

Trump won the States, and thereby the Electoral College.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Fundamentally Foster's position is weaker than Fillon because she is dependant upon the support of her colleagues.
    When you're running for a presidency, as Trump did then you can to a certain extent go it alone.

She should have stepped aside when the scandal broke. She should step down now, because she made the election a referendum on her, and see how it turned out.
  • Options
    sladeslade Posts: 1,940
    Jackie Pearcey selected as the Lib Dem candidate in Gorton. She was the councillor for Gorton North for over 20 years and should have a reasonable personal vote.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,068
    Does anyone in Ireland know if €9bn is 1% of the economy or 50%?
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

viewcode said:

Mortimer said:

So you're happy to be disloyal to Leaders you don't agree with.

But think we should support our current leader even if we personally don't think she's doing or is capable of doing a good job?
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,063
    Ishmael_Z said:

Are there still such people as compositors?
  • Options

Mr. Rentool, when reading it, I do shove the bookmark in the back, but it's still tedious.

Mr. Z, perhaps. My annoyance is exacerbated by the footnotes in the introduction.

JG Ballard[3] once wrote a collection of short stories[6] which included a story[1] in which every word was footnoted[4] and another story[2] which consisted only of an index.[5]

[1] "Notes Towards a Mental Breakdown" see http://www2.iath.virginia.edu/elab/hfl0093.html and https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/War_Fever
    [2] "The Index" see http://www2.iath.virginia.edu/elab/hfl0093.html and https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/War_Fever
    [3] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/J._G._Ballard
    [4] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Note_(typography)
    [5] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Index_(publishing)
    [6] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/War_Fever , but see also https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Atrocity_Exhibition
  • Options
    midwinter said:

Mortimer said:

viewcode said:

Mortimer said:

But think we should support our current leader even if we personally don't think she's doing or is capable of doing a good job?
    A leader I disagree with is different to a leader who deserts his party.

• Options
    The one thing that unites the remainers is their total belief and hope that Brexit fails.

The problem for them is that 2 years down the line prospective trade deals with the US, Aus, NZ, Canada, South Korea, the Middle East, even China, will be well on the way and at the same time our exports to the EU will still flow.

Report today that many inside the EU have real concerns that individual EU countries will open Offices in the UK to benefit from these trade deals.

It is not all one way traffic
  • Options
    ThreeQuidderThreeQuidder Posts: 6,133
    This petition has got to 125k in three days. I'm sure our residential financial experts will be able to explain why it can't happen:

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/186565
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,324
    Scott_P said:
    Please, Please, Please, Mr Trump - give Tony a job. That would just be too hilarious for words.
  • Options
    viewcode said:

JG Ballard[3] once wrote a collection of short stories[6] which included a story[1] in which every word was footnoted[4] and another story[2] which consisted only of an index.[5]

[1] "Notes Towards a Mental Breakdown" see http://www2.iath.virginia.edu/elab/hfl0093.html and https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/War_Fever
    [2] "The Index" see http://www2.iath.virginia.edu/elab/hfl0093.html and https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/War_Fever
    [6] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/War_Fever , but see also https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Atrocity_Exhibition
    That's a fair few footnotes :lol:
  • Options
    steve_garnersteve_garner Posts: 1,019
    Blair cosying up to the Donald must disappoint Remoaners clinging on to him as their last hope of thwarting Brexit. How appropriate.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,920
    Scott_P said:
    Shameless. Completely and utterly shameless!
  • Options

...2 years down the line prospective trade deals...will be well on the way...

I'm happy to believe what you just said.

Unfortunately, what you just said needs examination.

"Prospective deals which are well on the way" are not the same as "deals which have been agreed, signed and in force".

As for your other statement ("and at the same time our exports to the EU will still flow"), that's true as far as it goes (one crossborder jar of pickles counts as "still flowing") but the important part is whether it will be as easy or profitable as now.

The last figure I saw[1] for the "FTA+" (the putative name given to a trade deal between EU and UK post-Brexit) is 2022, possibly 2025. So that's a three-six year gap that has to be plugged. I figure this will be plugged with a temporary membership of EEA, but that's not in my gift.

[1] https://www.babinc.org/times-agree-60bn-bill-talk-trade-eu-tells-may/
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

midwinter said:

Mortimer said:

viewcode said:

Mortimer said:

A leader I disagree with is different to a leader who deserts his party.

Because he supported remaining in the EU? In common with the majority of his MPs and a sizeable minority of Tory voters.

Or because of gay marriage? I'm sure many activists still haven't forgiven him for that? Or did he not sing enough songs about single mothers at conference?

Anyone would have thought he wanted to make the party electable
  • Options
    ThreeQuidderThreeQuidder Posts: 6,133

viewcode said:

I'm disappointed that none of the footnotes had its own footnote...
  • Options

viewcode said:

You're welcome[1][2]

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Valediction
    [2] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Recursion [2]
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,590
    edited March 2017

This petition has got to 125k in three days. I'm sure our residential financial experts will be able to explain why it can't happen:

For starters because paying your rent on time isn't proof that you can afford a mortgage.

1) You might need be not paying other bills just to pay your rent

2) A wider credit check might identify recent/existing problems

3) You need to show you can afford the mortgage in the stress test situation.

On a practical level, is it just you paying the rent, is it a partner/housemates/the bank of mum and dad who are helping you out and you're taking all the credit.

Edit - What mortgage would you give someone who pays £700 per month on rent?
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024

I'm afraid the grammer alone doesn't pass muster on PB. "Met". Tsk tsk.
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,554
    GIN1138 said:

Scott_P said:
    Remain are welcome to him.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Scott_P said:
    Damnation. D'y'know, I'm actually proud of him. Such mastery of statecraft and chutzpah are far beyond my poor abilities... :)
  • Options
    nunu said:

Your, instead of you're.
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,977

The one thing that unites the remainers is their total belief and hope that Brexit fails.

The problem for them is that 2 years down the line prospective trade deals with the US, Aus, NZ, Canada, South Korea, the Middle East, even China, will be well on the way and at the same time our exports to the EU will still flow.

Report today that many inside the EU have real concerns that individual EU countries will open Offices in the UK to benefit from these trade deals.

Why would remainers want Brexit to fail? I voted Remain and think Brexit is a bad idea, but I live in the UK, have children and friends who live in the UK and am one of the owners of a company that is based in the UK. How does Brexit failing help my interests?

• Options

For starters because paying your rent on time isn't proof that you can afford a mortgage.

On a practical level, is it just you paying the rent, is it a partner/housemates/the bank of mum and dad who are helping you out and you're taking all the credit.

Disagree.

If someone can meet rental payments for a decent length of time, then they can meet equivalent mortgage repayments.

The rest is froth.

• Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,715

nunu said:

Your, instead of you're.
    'Since living on my own' - surely 'whilst living on my own'?
  • Options
    Michael Gove and other Tory Brexit campaigners on Sunday called on Theresa May to unilaterally guarantee the rights of 3.2 million EU citizens to remain in the UK, as they back a parliamentary report that brands the government policy as “unacceptable”.

Gove is one of several pro-Brexit Tories on the all-party select committee on exiting the EU who say that May’s approach is causing great “anxiety” and “uncertainty” to people who work hard in the UK, pay their taxes and deserve immediate reassurance about their futures.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/mar/04/brexit-campaigners-theresa-may-guarantee-eu-citizens-rights?CMP=twt_gu
  • Options

Why would remainers want Brexit to fail? I voted Remain and think Brexit is a bad idea, but I live in the UK, have children and friends who live in the UK and am one of the owners of a company that is based in the UK. How does Brexit failing help my interests?

It helps nobody but there are posters on here who want it to fail so that we can be kept de facto in the EU
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    edited March 2017
    GIN1138 said:

Scott_P said:

ttps://twitter.com/hendopolis/status/838151492305551360

Indeed, however you’ve got to admire Blair’s utter brazenness to remain on the world stage - at any cost...
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453

Gove is one of several pro-Brexit Tories on the all-party select committee on exiting the EU who say that May’s approach is causing great “anxiety” and “uncertainty”

https://twitter.com/brianspanner1/status/746488316510482433
  • Options

Michael Gove and other Tory Brexit campaigners on Sunday called on Theresa May to unilaterally guarantee the rights of 3.2 million EU citizens to remain in the UK, as they back a parliamentary report that brands the government policy as “unacceptable”.

Gove is one of several pro-Brexit Tories on the all-party select committee on exiting the EU who say that May’s approach is causing great “anxiety” and “uncertainty” to people who work hard in the UK, pay their taxes and deserve immediate reassurance about their futures.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/mar/04/brexit-campaigners-theresa-may-guarantee-eu-citizens-rights?CMP=twt_gu

But they will not vote in favour of the amendment
  • Options

Dutch poll:

Peil PVV/WIlders 25 leads VVD/Rutte 24

The election is 11 days.

My forecast at the moment is PVV 24, VVD 22 (we shall see!) - the 2.3 on the VVD winning is fair.

Peil has been the most generous to the PVV. That being said, the PVV has tended to outperform its poll scores, so using the Peil figures makes sense.
  • Options

Willing buyer, willing seller. A bank should be allowed to have its own criteria for lending money.
  • Options
    edited March 2017

Disagree.

If someone can meet rental payments for a decent length of time, then they can meet equivalent mortgage repayments.

The rest is froth.

So long as they're not getting into debt to be able to meet the rental payments, which a credit check would reveal.
  • Options
    YorkcityYorkcity Posts: 4,382

Talk about an over generalisation ."The one thing that unites remainers is their total belief and hope that Brexit fails " I wish you could be more nuanced.
  • Options

Disagree.

The rest is froth.

Apparently mortgage payments can vary according to interest rates.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Willing buyer, willing seller. A bank should be allowed to have its own criteria for lending money.
    Remind me what happened the last time we did that.
  • Options

Disagree.

The rest is froth.

So what level would you have for the stress test?

Also, you've not answered my question, what mortgage would you give to someone who pays a rent of £700 pcm despite not knowing if were solely paying that rent or not?
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,048
    edited March 2017
    Yorkcity said:

Talk about an over generalisation ."The one thing that unites remainers is their total belief and hope that Brexit fails " I wish you could be more nuanced.
    Seconded. For one, even many remainers think we can make a success of things, if not as big a success as if we had remained. Let us not forget that Theresa May is on the record as a remainer, and thus by definition thinks that the best option for the UK would be to stay in the EU, but for democratic reasons this is no longer possible. But clearly by her own stated affiliation the best deal she could possibly get for us would be less good than remaining.

I think perhaps he meant the subset of remainers who could be classified as remoaners, but even then most would not hope Brexit fails. Some clearly do hope that, but they are of an equivalent of those leavers (and converted remainers) who react hostilely to anything less than the suggestion everything will work out superbly and easily in every detail.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Disagree.

The rest is froth.

True I was in shock when my neighbour told me the interest rate had just gone up 5% back in 1992.For a few hours many at work were considering how they could now meet the payments.
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,977

It helps nobody but there are posters on here who want it to fail so that we can be kept de facto in the EU

Making sweeping generalisations based on posts made by a few people on PB seems a touch simplistic to me.

• Options
    rcs1000 said:

Disagree.

The rest is froth.

That applies to anyone, no matter the criteria for determining if they can meet repayments.

• Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,324

So the Lords weren't posturing out-of-touch fuddy-duddies after all, but had identified a concern shared by the highest echelons of the Brexit establishment. Do we still intend to abolish it?
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

Not an overwhelming embrace of Norn Iron by the Republic, then....
    Are there further polls should the cost be more or less? I'm a little surprised there would be so much resistance against unification at the cost of a mere 9bn per annum, but is that also just resistance at the idea generally, or would it rise or fall depending on the cost?

Also, if NI had a referendum on unification, would ROI have to have one too to accept it? I'd presume in such a scenario despite misgivings from some ROI citizens would approve, as that would be quite the embarrassing response to reject such a request!
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Yorkcity said:

Seconded. For one, even many remainers think we can make a success of things, if not as big a success as if we had remained. Let us not forget that Theresa May is on the record as a remainer, and thus by definition thinks that the best option for the UK would be to stay in the EU, but for democratic reasons this is no longer possible. But clearly by her own stated affiliation the best deal she could possibly get for us would be less good than remaining.

I think perhaps he meant the subset of remainers who could be classified as remoaners, but even then most would not hope Brexit fails. Some clearly do hope that, but they are of an equivalent of those leavers (and converted remainers) who react hostilely to anything less than the suggestion everything will work out superbly and easily in every detail.
    I agree with your second paragraph and should have been more specific.
  • Options

kle4 said:

Yorkcity said:

Well, no ones perfect.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,900

It depends what you mean by success. as far as I'm concernd it's already failed because of what it says about us as a country and what it denies to us and our children. So if you mean do Remainers want the economic resuts of leaving to be as bad as the cultural and social results already are this one really doesn't care less. The damage is done.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Yorkcity said:

Well, no ones perfect.
    I am always grateful when I am held to account and allowed the opportunity to clarify my thoughts. It is that which makes this forum so educational and interesting
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Yorkcity said:

Kle4 I read your posts a lot you are one of the most balanced and fairest posters on this site.
  • Options
    Roger said:

It depends what you mean by success. as far as I'm concernd it's already failed because of what it says about us as a country and what it denies to us and our children. So if you mean do Remainers want the economic resuts of leaving to be as bad as the cultural and social results already are this one really doesn't care less. The damage is done.
    Roger - I really hope that in time to come your worst fears are not born out and that there will be a positive outcome for all. Neither of us can judge this at this stage or for years to come but I am optimistic that things will not turn out as bad as you believe
  • Options
    MyBurningEarsMyBurningEars Posts: 3,651
    kle4 said:

Mortimer said:

Are there further polls should the cost be more or less? I'm a little surprised there would be so much resistance against unification at the cost of a mere 9bn per annum, but is that also just resistance at the idea generally, or would it rise or fall depending on the cost?

Also, if NI had a referendum on unification, would ROI have to have one too to accept it? I'd presume in such a scenario despite misgivings from some ROI citizens would approve, as that would be quite the embarrassing response to reject such a request!
    That 9bn number could have been replaced by almost any other number and I'm sure the result would have been similar. But a poll that didn't include a number or mention the cost of reunification at all, well that's a different story...

I'm never a fan of "Given this serious (dis)advantage, do you support this policy?" type questions.
  • Options
    Roger said:

You wouldn't wish the harm on even those who voted remain to be mitigated as much as possible? Even if the situation culturally and socially is unsalvageable, that it must be a failure of some description, why would you have no view on whether it is possible for that harm to be as minimal as possible?

Given the government has had plenty of choice in how it goes about Brexit, as indeed the arguments in recent weeks have been about, there are clearly options, some of which will be worse than others even if you believe all are bad. Even if you don't think you have any requirement to pick the lesser of two evils, which is true, you really have no care about people who didn't choose this option and don't have the option of getting away from it suffering as little as can be managed? Serves them right for being poor I guess.

That's like people hoping for a government composed of their opponents to be a disaster for the people as the damage was done when they got elected, only a grander scale.

• Options
    Roger said:

It really is as ironic as a very, very ironic thing that we mainly hear that sort of thing from you in France where Le Pens are taken seriously by the electorate, from tyson in Italy where greengrocers sell out of bananas on big football days and one ministerial politician can call another an orang-utan because she is black, and from antifrank in Hungary where Orban wants to shut up all asylum seekers in shipping containers (the 21st c answer to the cattle truck). You can't usually blame people for their government's actions, because they may not have voted for them and because everyone has to live somewhere, but voluntary immigres are another matter. The three of you are by your actions endorsing the stuff which goes on in your chosen countries, and in moaning about brexit you are straining at a thing and swallowing a whatever it is.
  • Options
    PlankPlank Posts: 71

Unless it's a glossary. Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time glossaries could be quite amusing in parts.
    If you are a wheel of time fan you might enjoy a parody of one of his glossaries.

http://linuxmafia.com/waygate/DOD.html
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    Plank said:

If you are a wheel of time fan you might enjoy a parody of one of his glossaries.

Love it.

Children of the Light - Devout soldiers who bring out the worst in people, all for the common good.
    Yorkcity said:

kle4 said:

Yorkcity said:

Kle4 I read your posts a lot you are one of the most balanced and fairest posters on this site.
    You are very kind.

At times I fear it can verge into seeking to avoid committing to a side - before the referendum a part of me kind of hoped my vote would be on the losing side, so I could avoid any sense of responsibility for the outcome, and I stood there for about 45 seconds considering if I should put my vote where my mouth had been - but at least it angers up the blood less.

Good night all.
  • Options

kle4 said:

Mortimer said:

That 9bn number could have been replaced by almost any other number and I'm sure the result would have been similar. But a poll that didn't include a number or mention the cost of reunification at all, well that's a different story...

I'm never a fan of "Given this serious (dis)advantage, do you support this policy?" type questions.
    It's a loaded question.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,146

Roger said:

Roger - I really hope that in time to come your worst fears are not born out and that there will be a positive outcome for all. Neither of us can judge this at this stage or for years to come but I am optimistic that things will not turn out as bad as you believe
    I hope for a positive outcome too. There's no point in being sentimental about our attachment to a union that has outlived its useful purpose. The dissolution of the UK should create a more stable basis for positive political development.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,900

Roger said:

I hope for a positive outcome too. There's no point in being sentimental about our attachment to a union that has outlived its useful purpose. The dissolution of the UK should create a more stable basis for positive political development.
    I'm guessing your tongue is firmly in your cheek? it's not always easy to tell on here
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,292
    The Daily Mail story about Tony Blair and The Donald can't be true...surely....chuckles...
  • Options
    GeoffMGeoffM Posts: 6,071

viewcode said:

I'm disappointed that none of the footnotes had its own footnote...
    I remember playing an old computer text-adventure with footnotes that helped expand the story with some extra background narrative.

It didn't take a seasoned hacker to work out that you could increment the Footnote number to read them all one by one without needing to find the link in the original text.

When I'd got most of the way through by doing this I came across one which was obviously not linked from the original game. It gave out a bollocking for cheating and looking through the Footnotes in precisely the way I described :)
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,146
    Roger said:

Roger said:

I'm guessing your tongue is firmly in your cheek? it's not always easy to tell on here
    Yes it is. Poe's law makes self-parody very difficult to pull off.
  • Options
    GeoffMGeoffM Posts: 6,071

Making sweeping generalisations based on posts made by a few people on PB seems a touch simplistic to me.

Making sweeping generalisations is always a bad idea.
    Including this one.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 31,019
    Roger said:

It is said that the worst hell possible is the one we create in our own minds. Roger has obviously created a hell in his own imagination and even though it bears no relation to reality he believes it completely.

If we should have any reaction to.him it should be one of pity. He is a victim.of his own bigotry.
  • Options
    CyanCyan Posts: 1,262
    edited March 2017
    Some interesting facts regarding Le Pen's possible vulnerability to legal problems.

1) She retains immunity in respect of the allegation of dodgy EU expense-claiming. And it is this allegation that investigating magistrates have asked to interview her about next Friday, a request she has said she will not comply with until after the election. So it doesn't look as though she can be jailed for contempt for not meeting them.

2) The recent EU parliamentary vote to remove her immunity in respect of the alleged crime of tweeting violent images was in response to a request by the French justice minister in Oct 2016, but proximally it occurred after the report by Laura Ferrara of Italy’s 5Star Movement.

Ferrara is the vice-chair of the EU Parliament's Committee on legal affairs.

Out of interest, has that committee ever discussed the Scientologists?

• Options
    edited March 2017

The Daily Mail story about Tony Blair and The Donald can't be true...surely....chuckles...

Is it surprising? Blair has also espoused the Le Pen-Wilders cause of the reform of the EU.

It doesn't sound very "businessmanlike" of Trump to re-employ someone in a role - "Middle East peace envoy" - in which he was such a total failure.
  • Options

So the Lords weren't posturing out-of-touch fuddy-duddies after all, but had identified a concern shared by the highest echelons of the Brexit establishment. Do we still intend to abolish it?
    Still a bunch of unelected has-beens and electoral failures!

*runs and hides*
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,787
    FPT:
    Tim_B said:

A quick vacation question for any rail buffs out there - in addition to planning a trip to the UK next year, this year I'm pondering something I haven't done since I was a teenager - ride the train.

There are essentially 2 - possibly 3 - options. They're all about 2300-2500 miles

1. The Canadian - Toronto to Vancouver

2. The California Zephyr - Chicago to San Francisco.

3. The Texas Eagle - Chicago to Texas to Los Angeles

Done the second two - while both are fun, the California Zephyr has the edge in scenery - this is what The Man in Seat 61 has to say: http://www.seat61.com/california-zephyr.htm
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,292
  • Options
    Tim_BTim_B Posts: 7,669

FPT:

Tim_B said:

A quick vacation question for any rail buffs out there - in addition to planning a trip to the UK next year, this year I'm pondering something I haven't done since I was a teenager - ride the train.

There are essentially 2 - possibly 3 - options. They're all about 2300-2500 miles

1. The Canadian - Toronto to Vancouver

2. The California Zephyr - Chicago to San Francisco.

3. The Texas Eagle - Chicago to Texas to Los Angeles

Done the second two - while both are fun, the California Zephyr has the edge in scenery - this is what The Man in Seat 61 has to say: http://www.seat61.com/california-zephyr.htm
    Thank you! I just popped in to look and found your comment!
  • Options
    SLAB PPB:

https://twitter.com/scottishlabour/status/837364077265584130

For a party that spent years demonising Westminster when the Tories were in office all this talk of 'division' is a bit rich - but its a well made ad - with a very obvious (but un-named) target.
  • Options
    Joyous & Civic - not anti-English at all! No Sireeee!

https://twitter.com/JournoStephen/status/838173436857970688
  • Options
    fitalassfitalass Posts: 4,279
    edited March 2017

SLAB PPB:

https://twitter.com/scottishlabour/status/837364077265584130

For a party that spent years demonising Westminster when the Tories were in office all this talk of 'division' is a bit rich - but its a well made ad - with a very obvious (but un-named) target.

Kezia Dugdale appointed Alan Roden (former political editor of the Daily Mail in Scotland) as Scottish Labour communications director recently. And although this has definitely contributed to an improvement in their media messaging, I suspect that it might prove too little, too late with regards the current Leadership. I noticed that the 'Federal UK' approach that Dugdale was allowed to promote for too long has now biten the dust...
  • Options

Joyous & Civic - not anti-English at all! No Sireeee!

https://twitter.com/JournoStephen/status/838173436857970688

And yet so many of those SNP MSPs and MPs will quickly block those who ask awkward questions or even forward the mildest critism no matter how politely.
    This makes interesting reading....
    Greenock Telegraph - Leaked email reveals Inverclyde SNP group leader's move to change rule
  • Options
    Plank said:

Quite amusing! :)
  • Options
    Ifop-Fiducial's latest running poll puts Le Pen at her highest score ever. Yet her price at Betfair is falling.

As for those who are buying Juppé at 5, either they have reliable inside information on how Fillon will withdraw long enough before 17 March for Juppé to manage to increase his number of nominees from 1 to 500, or they are throwing their money away.
  • Options
    Cyan said:

Ifop-Fiducial's latest running poll puts Le Pen at her highest score ever. Yet her price at Betfair is falling.

As for those who are buying Juppé at 5, either they have reliable inside information on how Fillon will withdraw long enough before 17 March for Juppé to manage to increase his number of nominees from 1 to 500, or they are throwing their money away.

Bottom line, what magnitude of political earthquake do the French really want to register on the global Richter scale this year?
  • Options
    BudGBudG Posts: 711
    edited March 2017
    Cyan said:

Her price is going out because Fillons problems means that, if he stays in the race, Le Pen is almost certain to face Macron in the final and he is about 22 points ahead of her in the head to heads.

If Juppe replaces Fillon, I would expect Le Pen's price to fall because he is more likely to reach the final two than Macron. If that happens, Le Pen would have a better chance against Juppe in the final round.

On the other hand, the hypothetical poll on friday that included Juppe shows Le Pen failing to reach the second round.
  • Options
    BudGBudG Posts: 711
    Cyan said:

On the Juppe situation, if he is going to withdraw, it is likely to happen within the next 48 hours or so. The LR political committee are convening on Monday, so there should be some firm news one way or another by then. I don't think someone of Juppe's stature would have any problem collecting the signatures if he was named as replacement sometime within the next few days.
  • Options
    The HoC report on EU/UK residents:

https://www.publications.parliament.uk/pa/cm201617/cmselect/cmexeu/1071/1071.pdf

Looks like urgent and major overhaul of Home Office paperwork required - tho I don't agree on the unilateral recommendation - when that blows up in the government's face they'll be blamed for poor negotiation rather than poor strategy.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,990
    New thread!
This discussion has been closed.