Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Local By-Election Preview: July 25th 2013

SystemSystem Posts: 12,008
edited July 2013 in General

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Local By-Election Preview: July 25th 2013

Braintree East on Braintree (Lab Defence)
Last Local Election (2011): Con 47, Lab 9, Greens 2, Ind 2 (Conservative overall majority of 34)
Ward Result: (Emboldened denotes elected)
Elwyn Bishop Lab 762 41.9%
David Messer C 759 41.7%
Collette Gibson Lab 756
Eric Lynch Lab 710
Luke Harrington C 691
Rikki Williams C 668
Wendy Partridge Grn 297 16.3%

Read the full story here

Comments

• RobDRobD Posts: 59,530
    zeroth
  • Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 50,944
    The Only Way is Epping!
    Don't Look Back in Ongar!

:)
    Best of luck to JohnO in Weybridge!
  • Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,462
    Indeed, Dr. Prasannan.

Cheers to Mr. Hayfield, assuming it is he, for this.

F1: P1 and P2 tomorrow, starting at 9am. Nyooooooooom!
  • MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    Oh, is little JohnO presiding in Martian territory? Well although I like JohnO, I hope that tonight the UKIP candidate makes vast inroads in Tory lands. So all power to Ian Lake.
  • IanB2IanB2 Posts: 49,400
    @sunil I believe back on planet Earth the candidates are named Richard, Ian and Gillian...
    Mr. K, are you suggesting Mr. O is set to become the representative of Olympus Mons?
  • JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 41,111

Indeed, Dr. Prasannan.

Cheers to Mr. Hayfield, assuming it is he, for this.

F1: P1 and P2 tomorrow, starting at 9am. Nyooooooooom!

Is this race live on the BBC, or is Mrs J happy because the weekend is free from F1-watching duties?
    F1: Allison's going to Ferrari:
    http://joesaward.wordpress.com/2013/07/25/allison-to-join-ferrari/

Could be a very significant move.
    Mr, Jessop, live, but not on TV.

Whilst the Judas Iscariot approach to F1 continues to rankle, at least this year the BBC has a much better selection of races. Hungary is an ideal race for radio, because it's too hard to pass on.
    IanB2 said:

@sunil I believe back on planet Earth the candidates are named Richard, Ian and Gillian...

My understanding is that JohnO is on Elmbridge council so even if he isn't personally standing, good luck to his local colleagues!

This is a local election for local people! There's nothing for you here!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p006vm6j

Whilst the Judas Iscariot approach to F1 continues to rankle, at least this year the BBC has a much better selection of races. Hungary is an ideal race for radio, because it's too hard to pass on.

Cheers. Mrs J will be happy then.

Off-topic: the excellent Shakespeare in Cambridge festival is on for another month. The festival sees Shakespeare plays performed in the beautiful grounds of Cambridge colleges. Well worth a visit on a dry evening if you enjoy Shakespeare.

http://www.cambridgeshakespeare.com/
  • MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053

Mr. K, are you suggesting Mr. O is set to become the representative of Olympus Mons?

Nothing so splendid. I was making reference to H G Wells who fantasised about the area; not gods.

• AveryLPAveryLP Posts: 7,815
    edited July 2013

Off-topic: the excellent Shakespeare in Cambridge festival is on for another month. The festival sees Shakespeare plays performed in the beautiful grounds of Cambridge colleges. Well worth a visit on a dry evening if you enjoy Shakespeare.

JJ

Thanks for the interesting paper on the 'worm'. As it is simultaneous with the original political messaging it is going to have a much greater effect than printed polls disconnected in time from specific messaging.

Still it proves the existence of polling influence and I agree with your later comments that the same effect should exist to diminished scale in traditional polling.
  • AndreaParma_82AndreaParma_82 Posts: 4,714
    edited July 2013
    Manchester Cllr Amina Lone selected by Labour in Morecombe & Lunesdale. She beat 2 local Cllrs among others.

Blackpool North Labour shortlist:

Matthew Hood (economy teacher...http://www.matthewhood.org.uk/
    Michael McLaughlin (doctor... drmike.org.uk/
    Penny Martin (Cleveleys Park Cllr and 2010 candidate)
    Adam Mohammed (Criminal and Family Court Lawyer; shortlisted for Warrington South and Nottinghamshire PCC)
    Chris Webb (former Labour North West organizer) www.christopherwebb.co.uk/

• NeilNeil Posts: 7,983
    Is JohnO going to post live from the count? I really doubt it! Will he get home in one piece without travelling through Bournemouth? Probably not! Will he hold off the UKIP hoards? Hopefully!

It will be interesting to watch for the difference in Lib Dem performance between Kingston and Lambeth.
    Horrendous scenes at that rail accident in Spain, looks like driver error. Took the bend far too fast.
    tim said:

Unsurprising that Osborne flunky Matt Hancock doesn't believe the best person for the job should get it.

He'll be going on about British jobs for British workers next!
    Your Blairite claws are showing, tim!

• TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362
    edited July 2013
    tim said:

Neil said:

tim said:

Unsurprising that Osborne flunky Matt Hancock doesn't believe the best person for the job should get it.

He'll be going on about British jobs for British workers next!

Exactly.
    What a knobhead
    Calm down lad,you losing it today.

AveryLP said:

JJ

Thanks for the interesting paper on the 'worm'. As it is simultaneous with the original political messaging it is going to have a much greater effect than printed polls disconnected in time from specific messaging.

Still it proves the existence of polling influence and I agree with your later comments that the same effect should exist to diminished scale in traditional polling.
    Thanks, and I agree that any effect will be smaller in traditional polling.

I wonder if there might be an effect with smaller, newer parties such as UKIP. People may be hesitant to consider voting for them until they reach a critical mass where they do well in the polls and become mainstream. Could this effect last even if they later dip back down in the polls?

A more complex (and vastly larger) experiment was done during the 2012 US elections using Facebook. The results could be very useful to political parties and are worth perusing. The Huffington Post have a report at: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/kare-anderson/insight-from-massive-soci_b_1896914.html and on nakesscientists: http://www.thenakedscientists.com/HTML/content/interviews/interview/2244/
  • RichardNabaviRichardNabavi Posts: 3,413
    edited July 2013
    @Neil - Give tim a break, after all it must be hard supporting Ed Miliband through gritted teeth whilst hearing all that 'producer vs predator' garbage.
    @RichardNabavi

tim doesnt care what Labour is doing so long as he gets to attack the Tories!
  • PlatoPlato Posts: 15,724
    FPT

fitalass said:

Terrible politics from the Labour party, especially at a time when they are receiving a bumper trench of taxpayers money as the only main Opposition.

» show previous quotes

Precisely, terrible politics. When your Party gets about the same funding as the Tories but they pay £500k in tax and you pay nothing - it really doesn't matter if its 'all within the rules'

Google etc were all within the rules too and have an obligation to their shareholders to be fiscally prudent. They also don't go round ticking others off for it.

Man in the Street will just think Hypocrites. And they'd be dead right, it's no good for Labour to try to explain this way with accounting rules - that just looks shifty.
    Neil said:

@RichardNabavi

tim doesnt care what Labour is doing so long as he gets to attack the Tories!

tim: "As a troll..." :)
  • Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    Plato said:

it's no good for Labour to try to explain this way with accounting rules - that just looks shifty.

I think the word you are looking for is "optics"...

Remember folks, the front page lead in The Times is a non-story.
    Plato said:

FPT

fitalass said:

Terrible politics from the Labour party, especially at a time when they are receiving a bumper trench of taxpayers money as the only main Opposition.

» show previous quotes

Precisely, terrible politics. When your Party gets about the same funding as the Tories but they pay £500k in tax and you pay nothing - it really doesn't matter if its 'all within the rules'

Google etc were all within the rules too and have an obligation to their shareholders to be fiscally prudent. They also don't go round ticking others off for it.

Man in the Street will just think Hypocrites. And they'd be dead right, it's no good for Labour to try to explain this way with accounting rules - that just looks shifty.

Stop rubbing it in plato,you know tim's upset ;-)
    Plato said:

Man in the Street will just think Hypocrites. And they'd be dead right

Can you explain what the hypocrisy is?
  • Mick_PorkMick_Pork Posts: 6,530
    "We're all in this together" politics.
    Keoghs Solicitors ‏@KeoghsSolicitor 6h

RT @TelegraphNews Three-quarters of over-50s say they are opposed to MPs' pay rise http://ow.ly/1ZWZ9n
    Crikey! etc. ;^ )
    Neil said:

Can you explain what the hypocrisy is?

The Labour leader has repeatedly rejected the ways that companies use deductions to minimise or eradicate their tax bill, criticising the internet giant Google for generating significant income but paying less than a fraction of one per cent of that in tax.
    Stop pretending to be too dim to understand this Neil
    tim said:

Oh lord here they come

23,400 needless deaths on the Tories watch.

Repeat until numb.

lol

A result to warm the hearts of our put upon Hearts fans (hi Max!):

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/23352984
    On the day two senior nurses at Stafford were struck off after falsifying records to meet Labour's death targets you might think some people would keep quiet for a bit, but no
    Scott_P said:

Noone seems able to explain the hypocrisy, Scott_P. How can I understand if no-one will teach me?
    @tim - Well, I'm impressed to see you are magnanimously giving the Mail the benefit of the doubt and assuming the article is correct. I tend to discount stuff in the Mail and it's alter ego the Guardian.

Anyway: on a night like this, with JohnO in full magnificent battle, there are bigger fish to fry. Is there a sweepstake on where he ends up?

Is there a sweepstake on where he ends up?

Without us to lead him astray there is a small chance he might actually get home!
    Neil said:

Scott_P said:

Noone seems able to explain the hypocrisy, Scott_P. How can I understand if no-one will teach me?
    "When your Party gets about the same funding as the Tories but they pay £500k in tax and you pay nothing - it really doesn't matter if its 'all within the rules'

Google etc were all within the rules too and have an obligation to their shareholders to be fiscally prudent. They also don't go round ticking others off for it."
    Neil said:

Is there a sweepstake on where he ends up?

Without us to lead him astray there is a small chance he might actually get home!
    What do you mean by 'us'? I deny collective responsibility on this one.
    Sorry, Sunil, not seeing the hypocrisy!
    Plato said:

FPT

fitalass said:

» show previous quotes

How many lives could be saved if the tax avoided by Labour were spent on additional nurses and carers?

That is the real question.
    Neil said:

Now you're just taking the piss.
    Labour’s accounts reveal that could have faced a tax bill of £561,000 but a series of tax deductions meant they paid nothing

The Labour leader has repeatedly rejected the ways that companies use deductions to minimise or eradicate their tax bill
    Non-story. Nothing to see here.
    Neil said:

Why can't you see it?

Neil said:

Why can't you see it?
    Because it's not there.
    Neil said:

Neil said:

Why can't you see it?
    Because it's not there.
    You're seriously at risk of losing you PB Tory status Neil!!

Labour’s accounts reveal that could have faced a tax bill of £561,000 but a series of tax deductions meant they paid nothing

The Labour leader has repeatedly rejected the ways that companies use deductions to minimise or eradicate their tax bill
    Nice front page for labour on front of the Guardian ;-)

http://www.politicshome.com/uk/article/82635/the_guardian_friday_26th_july_2013.html

When did he ever reject offsetting losses in calculating corporation tax?
    Mick_Pork said:

"We're all in this together" politics.

Keoghs Solicitors ‏@KeoghsSolicitor 6h

RT @TelegraphNews Three-quarters of over-50s say they are opposed to MPs' pay rise http://ow.ly/1ZWZ9n
    Crikey! etc. ;^ )

Pork

You missed the juicy acorn nestling under the pile of ground nuts.

The survey found that pensioners would only support a pay increase if there were fewer MPs in Parliament.

MPs only have themselves to blame.

@tim

Andy Burnham was a Tory???
  • MarkSeniorMarkSenior Posts: 4,699
    Usual good summary by Harry .
    Worth pointing out that the Braintree East seat had a previous by election in Mar 2012 , result was Lab 554 Con 388 UKIP 131 Green 76 Ind 32 a Labour hold .
    tim said:

I think I'd employ immigrant Neil to put forward an argument rather than one of the British PB Tories lower leaguers just because I feel sorry for them

I thought you had me down as "foreign-born" :)

Neil said:

Why can't you see it?
    There is no place for hypocrisy in an hippocracy, Sunil.

Tory press in full spin:

Of all the party leaders, Ed Miliband will face the toughest autumn conference of the lot. Labour's wobbly response to the GDP figures was surely a product of its uncertainty over whether to welcome the news or grouse that it should have been better.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2013/jul/25/economy-osbornes-moment-editorial?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed:+theguardian/commentisfree/rss+(Comment+is+free)
    Neil said:

When did he ever reject offsetting losses in calculating corporation tax?

Unlike you to fall for one of tim's spurious red herrings

Ed criticised Google for using perfectly legal means to minimise their tax bill, while Labour use perfectly legal means to minimise their tax bill

Nowhere, other than Farmer tim's febrile imagination, was the method of tax minimisation mentioned in Ed's criticism

But of course, it's a non-story...
    @GuidoFawkes
    Balls says he never predicted a double or triple dip. CCHQ will be going through their video archives for the next attack advert #Newsnight
    Scott_P said:

Ed criticised Google for using perfectly legal means to minimise their tax bill, while Labour use perfectly legal means to minimise their tax bill

No, he didnt, your own quote in the previous thread showed that he criticised them for going to extraordinary lengths to avoid corporation tax. Labour didnt do that.

We're all adults here, there are no votes to be swayed on pbc, baiting our opponents can be fun for a while but dont ever just want to stop the bs and call a spade a spade?
    edited July 2013
    AveryLP said:

Plato said:

FPT

fitalass said:

» show previous quotes

How many lives could be saved if the tax avoided by Labour were spent on additional nurses and carers?

Actually Seth O Logue, the real question is why you've given up spinning Lansley's incompetent reforms or touting him as a future PM.

Yes, it was hilariously inept and out of touch spinning from you as usual, but it did at least keep you from making a fool of yourself over Osbrowne.

The primary reason for the shifting polling clearly still eludes you. So try concentrating really hard on this graph instead of your amusingly counterproductive spinning to the effect that the public has 'never had it so good'.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/9/96/UK_opinion_polling_2010-2015.png

It's all there if only you had the wit to see it, Seth. So I fear you never will. :)

Guido Fawkes ✔ @GuidoFawkes

Balls says he never predicted a double or triple dip. CCHQ will be going through their video archives for the next attack advert #Newsnight

Is it just me or is Anita Anand just not right for Newsnight?
    edited July 2013
    Mick_Pork said:

AveryLP said:

Plato said:

FPT

fitalass said:

» show previous quotes

Actually Seth O Logue, the real question is why you've given up spinning Lansley's incompetent reforms or touting him as a future PM.

Yes, it was hilariously inept and out of touch spinning from you as usual, but it did at least keep you from making a fool of yourself over Osbrowne.

The primary reason for the shifting polling clearly still eludes you. So try concentrating really hard on this graph instead of your amusingly counterproductive spinning to the effect that the public has 'never had it so good'.

It's all there if only you had the wit to see it, Seth. So I fear you never will. :)

That's very pretty, Pork.

I love the colours.

Did you do it all yourself?

Well done.

Neil said:

No, he didnt, your own quote in the previous thread showed that he criticised them for going to extraordinary lengths to avoid corporation tax. Labour didnt do that.

We're all adults here, there are no votes to be swayed on pbc, baiting our opponents can be fun for a while but dont ever just want to stop the bs and call a spade a spade?

repeatedly :- More than once

The ways companies use deductions :- not uniquely and explicitly going to extraordinary lengths

This is just painful.

You might be right. All of the times Ed has criticised companies for using various legal means to minimise their tax bill might be a total non-strory because of a single quote that doesn't contradict his relentless posturing on tax avoidance

I expect we will hear no more about it at PMQs or anywhere else. Right?
    Scott_P said:

This is just painful.

On that we are in violent agreement!
    edited July 2013
    Neil said:

Is it just me or is Anita Anand just not right for Newsnight?

No - mum just shouted at her for being a useless bimbo and changed over to SKY News :)
    @Sunil

I've always said your mum is a very wise woman ;)

I hope you're not posting from the dinner table!
    edited July 2013
    Weybridge South

Con 274
    LD 150
    UKIP 140

John O Hold
  • NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,452
    Question for Neil - one of the supporters of another candidate at a hustings tonight claimed that if that candidate was chosen, the Green Party had promised not to stand against him. The audience was a bit "meh" about that but I was curious anyway: do the Greens actually follow this kind of interventionist policy?
    Neil said:

@Sunil

I've always said your mum is a very wise woman ;)

I hope you're not posting from the dinner table!

No we had dinner a few hours back - I tend to log off in timely fashion nowadays :)

Weybridge South

Con 274
    LD 150
    UKIP 140

John O Hold

Paternity suits to follow.

Weybridge South

Con 274
    LD 150
    UKIP 140

John O Hold

Huzzah! They'll be dancing in the streets of Hersham tonight :)
    edited July 2013
    Tories also hold Felsted

Weybridge South

Con 274
    LD 150
    UKIP 140

John O Hold

That'll teach those who had the temerity to sneer at his knocking-up.

Sam Coates Times @SamCoatesTimes

HMRC: "The taxable profits or surpluses of these organisations are subject to Corporation Tax." Lab accounts (p2) say it has a £3m surplus

On Labour & tax party accounts say it is a "unincorporated association". HMRC rules on Corp tax liabilities: http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/ct/clubs-charities-agents/clubs.htm

• foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    So far as I can tell the Lansley reforms seem to be going along ok, with the GPs taking an interest in commissioning. This Is being done in a much more consensual way than previous. So far so good.

The sky has not fallen in at all. The budget is ringfenced so immune from cuts. Of course more would be good but these are tough times.
    Mick_Pork said:

AveryLP said:

Plato said:

FPT

fitalass said:

» show previous quotes

edited July 2013
    Braintee East

Labour 461
    Conservative 267
    UKIP 194
    Green 67

turnout 18.96%
  • MrJonesMrJones Posts: 3,523
    FPT
    Carola said:
    Good read. The Chinese team mentioned think they'll have the IQ genes mapped out in 10 years which seems a bit optimistic but it'll be funny if they do.

Braintee East

Labour 461
    Conservative 267
    UKIP 194
    Green 67

turnout 18.96%

*rubs eyes* Labour? In Essex????

Tories also hold Felsted

Now that's more like it :)
    @NickPalmer

It's down to the local party but I cant imagine many circumstances in which a local party would stand down against a Labour candidate. We had an argument in London about standing down in Barking because of the risk of the BNP getting in but thankfully the sensible side won and that ridiculousness (on so many levels) didnt go ahead. Other than that the discussion is usually about standing down for the latest front of the SWP / SP / etc in various seats where they might be strong. But not Labour (or not very often in my experience anyway).

I obviously have no information one way or another and circumstances can be very different in other parts of the country but a statement like that would set off my bs detector enough to want to check it out.

Ps you know my strong view that the Green party wasnt the difference between you and Anna Soubry in 2010 anyway!

HMRC: "The taxable profits or surpluses of these organisations are subject to Corporation Tax." Lab accounts (p2) say it has a £3m surplus

On Labour & tax party accounts say it is a "unincorporated association". HMRC rules on Corp tax liabilities: http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/ct/clubs-charities-agents/clubs.htm

NON-STORY!!!
  • JonathanJonathan Posts: 21,344
    So you can get elected these days on less than 10% of the vote.

Something is very broken.

Braintee East

Labour 461
    Conservative 267
    UKIP 194
    Green 67

turnout 18.96%

@Nick Palmer

who was that candidate? the left wing against all cuts Cllr?
  • GeoffMGeoffM Posts: 6,071

Neil said:

Why can't you see it?

Neil said:

Because it's not there.

You do see that he's winding you up, Sunil?
    It's so obvious to see that he's saying the opposite just to pull your chain.
  • AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340

Weybridge South

Con 274
    LD 150
    UKIP 140

John O Hold

That'll teach those who had the temerity to sneer at his knocking-up.
    We were admiring his energy.

Labour spox "corporation tax is paid on taxable profits and we made no taxable profits". Tories & Libs did pay tax, tho

GeoffM said:

It's so obvious to see that he's saying the opposite just to pull your chain.

Do you want to have a go where the others have sadly failed?
    @SamCoatesTimes
    Labour spox "corporation tax is paid on taxable profits and we made no taxable profits". Tories & Libs did pay tax, tho

@SamCoatesTimes

If I were a desperate wine spin merchant, this is the point at which I would say, find us a quote where Ed said that Google's taxable profits were just a surplus, right?
    Mike Smithson @MSmithsonPB

LAB hold Braintree E council by-election with increased majority
    Labour 461
    Conservative 267
    UKIP 194
    Green 67
    turnout 18.96%

When last fought in 2011 LAB had majority of just 3 in Braintree East. Tonight that's 194

edited July 2013

So far as I can tell the Lansley reforms seem to be going along ok

Which is presumably why Lansley is still doing such a 'fine' job as Health Secretary and why Seth has tipped him as a future PM. ;^)

More seriously, the Lansley reforms certainly pleased some people a great deal.
    Why is that do you think?
    One in Ten Liberal Democrat Peers have financial links to Companies involved in Private Healthcare

The Liberal Democrats have been instrumental in helping the Conservative party realise their dream of passing through the Health and Social Care bill. A bill that failed to appear in either party’s manifesto and thus had no mandate to the voting public. The bill, which has been wholly rejected as acceptable by the health professionals who work in the NHS, citing competition and privatisation as being the major area of concern.

One in Ten Liberal Democrat peers have financial connections to companies involved in private healthcare. That is to say ten out of the 90 Liberal Democrat peers have direct financial links. This is considerably less that the One in Four Conservatives and the One in Six Crossbench Peers with such connections, with Labour Peers still to be calculated.

However, that is not to say this number is acceptable. It is not. Why are any peers with connections to companies that could benefit from the bill allowed to vote on it?

The Liberal Democrats as a party are heavily funded by a company called Alpha Healthcare, which have been donating to the party since 2004. The company has donated more than half the money the Lib Dems have taken in major donations since the start of the election campaign. The amount they have been giving has steadily increased over time, but last year it accelerated up to £400,000. It doesn’t take a rocket scientist to make the connection. Research conducted by Dr Éoin Clarke on his Green Benches blog revealed how this company had changed its company registration number and business premises after the 2010 lection, which meant their most recent donations didn’t show in the Electoral Commission’s website.

Is this what we want from our democracy?

http://socialinvestigations.blogspot.co.uk/2012/03/one-in-ten-liberal-democrat-peers-have.html

• NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,452
    Thanks, Neil! And yes, I don't really think I'd have mopped up the 0.6% Green votes if they'd not stood. Maybe a third or a half. Not clear to me what they got out of it though (apart from the bill for the deposit, which I understand the candidate was left to pay himself).

andrea, I won't elaborate...was just curious about the specific point.
  • GeoffMGeoffM Posts: 6,071
    Neil said:

Ha, your Jedi mind tricks won't work here. I'm not falling for your blatant trolling ;)

CON hold Felsted on Uttlesford council by election. No figures yet

Labour 461
    Conservative 267
    UKIP 194
    Green 67
    turnout 18.96%

When last fought in 2011 LAB had majority of just 3 in Braintree East. Tonight that's 194

Also a small swing from Con to Lab from the 2012 by election in this ward
    GeoffM said:

Neil said:

Ha, your Jedi mind tricks won't work here. I'm not falling for your blatant trolling ;)

PB can have a strong influence on the weak-minded! :)

Not clear to me what they got out of it though

Political parties contest elections, Nick! Personally speaking the Green party is the only left-of-Labour vehicle that's shown any sign of being in it for the long haul and an important part of that is being an option on the ballot paper in as many elections as possible in as many parts of the country as possible (without ever dropping the focus on targeting of course).
    The Independent candidate gains Weston-Super-Mare North Worle from Con

Labour 461
    Conservative 267
    UKIP 194
    Green 67
    turnout 18.96%

Also a small swing from Con to Lab from the 2012 by election in this ward

Braintree %ages
    Lab 47% +5
    CON 27% -15
    UKIP 20% +20
    GRN 7%
    So big switch to UKIP at CON expense

edited July 2013

When last fought in 2011 LAB had majority of just 3 in Braintree East.

Not according to Harry's figures above. This was a three-member ward, remember, so you have to look at the average of the three Con candidates against the average of the three Lab candidates to get the overall party position: 705 against 742.
    edited July 2013

When last fought in 2011 LAB had majority of just 3 in Braintree East.

Not according to Harry's figures above. This was a three-member ward, remember.
    I agree Richard,blame mike Smithson tweet ;-)

Weston Super Mare is an Independent gain from Conservative

Weston Super Mare is an Independent gain from Conservative

Correction not yet as that is the Town Council result from the same ward
  • fitalassfitalass Posts: 4,292
    Andrea, it looks like John O's charms worked a treat on the doorsteps of Weybridge. :)

Weybridge South

Con 274
    LD 150
    UKIP 140

John O Hold

This discussion has been closed.