Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » In “normal times” concern about the NHS reaching a 15 year hig

124»

Comments

• Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    FF43 said:

There's a credibility problem however for those that have already rejected the first when those that support breaking the EU relationship say it's stupid to break the UK one.

On an emotional level, yes, I tend to agree.
    On an entirely pragmatic one however, I feel they are very different.
    FF43 said:

Incidentally,it will be a far from painless divorce with the EU. Just a less painful one than Scotland breaking up the United Kingdom.

Of course there will be repercussions from both, and yes, I agree they would be far more deeply felt if Scotland voted to leave the UK.
  • Options
    DixieDixie Posts: 1,221

Scott_P said:

chestnut said:

Longevity isn't the key point; entanglement/entwinement is.

The more entwined you are, the harder and more painful it is to uncouple.

Therein lies the rub for the Brexiteers...

Disentangling the Scottish legal system from the UK legal system (for example) will be far easier than disentangling car factories in England from their pan-European supply chains

To claim that Brexit is much easier than Indy is at best, wishful thinking
    The idea that you think there are no supply chains between England and Scotland is rather quaint.
    SINDY is about one thing only: That many (a minority) Scots hate the English. It's insecurity. Nothing else.
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,724
    chestnut said:

FF43 said:

There's a credibility problem however for those that have already rejected the first when those that support breaking the EU relationship say it's stupid to break the UK one.

FF43 said:

Incidentally,it will be a far from painless divorce with the EU. Just a less painful one than Scotland breaking up the United Kingdom.

Of course there will be repercussions from both, and yes, I agree they would be far more deeply felt if Scotland voted to leave the UK.
    Brexit makes Sindy much more likely.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453

The idea that you think there are no supply chains between England and Scotland is rather quaint.

I didn't say there were none, but there are none as large as those for car manufacturing
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    Yorkcity said:

Regarding Scotland and England can either countries government just legally withdraw from the Act of Union ?

No.

England doesn't have a government. :smile:
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,236
    Dixie said:

Scott_P said:

chestnut said:

Disentangling the Scottish legal system from the UK legal system (for example) will be far easier than disentangling car factories in England from their pan-European supply chains

SINDY is about one thing only: That many (a minority) Scots hate the English. It's insecurity. Nothing else.
    Brexit is about one thing only: That many (a minority) English hate foreigners.
  • Options

And all the Brexiteer wailing completely misses that point
  • Options

Dixie said:

Dixie said:

dr_spyn said:
    This is interesting. I had a meeting with senior Tories about what will happen vote wise in the next 2 years.

I paraphrase completely, because I can't talk like a knob, and DYOR...

if 2017 and 2018 local elections were to happen tomorrow, Tories would make gains universally...country, towns, cities.

They believe that Lib Dem surge will be by-elctions only.

UKIP - piss up and brewery comes to mind.

SNP - mildly down.

Labour under Corbym - down everywhere.

Labour under AN Other will come back just as strong as before and we are ready.

I said Corbyn strong in big cities and we won't win them...they just ignored me.

They will tell you that we are working hard and take nothing for granted, which is true. But deep down, they are cock-sure! One of the reasons I suppose Mrs May is being gung-ho about Brexit with Commons and Lords.

As I say, the above could be blarney, bravado, not strategy. Just sayin'
    'Senior Tories' believe the SNP vote will go down in May's council elections?
    share of vote versus most recent elections. Not versus 4 years ago. Post SINDY. Anyway, take with pinch of salt, forecasts are not actuals. Just passing on.
    Hmm, the last poll on Scottish council elections had the SNP marginally up on the Holyrood election. Still, I'm sure Tessie's masterplan to turn the locals into a straw poll on another referendum is bound to bear fruit.
    There are facts, opinion polls and betting. The art of betting I assume is to beat the market. DYOR and make up your mind. I'm just an innocent bystander.
  • Options

Brexit is about one thing only: That many (a minority) English hate foreigners.

Luckily I can't hit the Like button any more
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    Dixie said:

Scott_P said:

chestnut said:

Preposterous.

If you are insecure you don't abandon nanny.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,763
    FF43 said:

@Scott_P: I am not entirely convinced of the factual basis for that claim.

The consequences for Scotland will be severe, not least for the economy and public finances. I think people are underestimating the consequences for the rest of the British Isles if Scotland becomes independent. The United Kingdom will cease to exist in any meaningful form. You will have England, which is a place, and two extra bits: Andwales who kind of tags along; a dysfunctional non-country in northern Ireland - a Transdniester in NW Europe.

When the UK leaves the EU, the EU will carry on as before.

• Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,724
    Dixie said:

dr_spyn said:
    This is interesting. I had a meeting with senior Tories about what will happen vote wise in the next 2 years.

if 2017 and 2018 local elections were to happen tomorrow, Tories would make gains universally...country, towns, cities.

SNP - mildly down.

I said Corbyn strong in big cities and we won't win them...they just ignored me.

They will tell you that we are working hard and take nothing for granted, which is true. But deep down, they are cock-sure! One of the reasons I suppose Mrs May is being gung-ho about Brexit with Commons and Lords.

"Everyone down but us"
    Sounds like wishful thinking.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,785

Scott_P said:

chestnut said:

And that a currency union with fiscal transfers is exactly the same as a currency union without fiscal transfers.....
  • Options

Dixie said:

dr_spyn said:

SNP - mildly down.

and when I say 'senior tories' just to be clear, not official bods. Just member/politicans long in the tooth, with access to top chaps. This was not a presentation and analysis. Sorry, it may have come across that way.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,966
    edited March 2017
    8846 quota in F&ST.

Last time was 6740.
  • Options
    Dixie said:

Dixie said:

dr_spyn said:

SNP - mildly down.

and when I say 'senior tories' just to be clear, not official bods. Just member/politicans long in the tooth, with access to top chaps. This was not a presentation and analysis. Sorry, it may have come across that way.
    and of course, elections are not happening tomorrow. So, this is just a scenario, not reality.
  • Options
    FF43 said:

I am not entirely convinced of the factual basis for that claim either
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited March 2017
    Interesting:

Selon nos informations, Nicolas Sarkozy va recevoir cet après-midi deux personnalités très proches de François Fillon : le secrétaire général des Républicains, Bernard Accoyer, et le président du Sénat, Gérard Larcher. L'objectif de ces rencontres est de "sortir de cette impasse", indique au Figaro une source proche des trois hommes

"According to sources, Nicolas Sarkozy will today meet two very close associates of François Fillon: the general secretary of Les Républicains, Bernard Accoyer, and the president of the Senate, Gérard Larcher. The objective of these meetings is to 'find a way out of the impasse', a source close to the three men told Le Figaro"

and, in other news, Les Jeunes Avec Fillon are no longer avec him:

http://www.lefigaro.fr/elections/presidentielles/2017/03/03/35003-20170303LIVWWW00127-francois-fillon-demissions-lr-presidentielle-republicains-elus-thierry-solere-alain-juppe.php
  • Options
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,100
    Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Straw in the wind for a good Sinn Fein and/or SDLP vote ?

Breaking Mid-Ulster turn-out 72.38% huge rise from 58% last time

According to the BBC they’re all up by at least 9 points.
    SF First Minister?
    No. The DUP will win, but I think they might lose a few seats.
    I hope and expect the biggest gains to be made by the Alliance Party of Northern Ireland and while the DUP will make losses the UUP will gain as much as Sinn Fein
  • Options
    YorkcityYorkcity Posts: 4,382
    JackW said:

Yorkcity said:

Regarding Scotland and England can either countries government just legally withdraw from the Act of Union ?

No.

England doesn't have a government. :smile:
    Thanks JackW unlikely we will have a federal UK then with an English Government.
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    Scott_P said:

FF43 said:

The UK leaving the EU is a huge blow for them - no doubt. But it doesn't fundamentally change the organisation. Scotland becoming independent means the gig's up for the United Kingdom. A massive difference.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:
    SF 54.4
    PBP 22.9
    DUP 10.4
    SDLP 7.3
    UUP 1.8
    Green 0.9

Were the figures last time.
  • Options
    Is West Belfast the most left wing place in the whole of the UK ?
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Sean_F said:
    SF 54.4
    PBP 22.9
    DUP 10.4
    SDLP 7.3
    UUP 1.8
    Green 0.9

Were the figures last time.
    At the general election in the 2010 general election and 2011 by election SF got over 70% in West Belfast, so SF up but nothing that unusual in West Belfast
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

chestnut said:

Perhaps you can tell us how many English or Scottish citizens have a European income tax or social insurance record?

We have collective healthcare, taxation and welfare. That's before interest rates, currency and defence.

We are all individually entangled in the UK. The same really does not apply to us and Europe.

• Options

chestnut said:

FF43 said:

FF43 said:

There is no sign of that in polling.
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    https://mobile.twitter.com/MarkMDub/status/837639582627823616

Straight swing from PBF to SF, Alliance and SDLP also up a little
  • Options
    ThreeQuidderThreeQuidder Posts: 6,133
    Doesn't this issues tracker just reflect what's in the news?
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,896
    Pulpstar said:

Parts of Merseyside or Clydeside and some parts of Inner London are probably more so. The Unionist vote of 12% or so prevents it from being so.
  • Options
    chestnut said:

We are all individually entangled in the UK. The same really does not apply to us and Europe.

And we are about to find out exactly how little factual basis there is for that claim...
  • Options

Dixie said:

dr_spyn said:

SNP - mildly down.

"Everyone down but us"
    Sounds like wishful thinking.
    Perhaps so. Personally I think Libs will be up. And Tories will be mildly up. But Labour will be strong in Cities, and not down as much as towns/countries.
  • Options
    Meanwhile the Sessions story seems to be developing, not necessarily to the advantage of the President...
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

SF First Minister?
    I hope and expect the biggest gains to be made by the Alliance Party of Northern Ireland and while the DUP will make losses the UUP will gain as much as Sinn Fein
    Hard to say. Big rises in turnout in East Antrim, North Down, and South Antrim could be Alliance/UUP but big rises in North Antrim, East Londonderry, and Strangford are likely DUP.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    Scott_P said:

chestnut said:

And we are about to find out exactly how little factual basis there is for that claim...
    So you keep saying but nothing is happening yet. Tic toc
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,998
    Short guest post by Sir Edric, comparing horses to cars, which some may find entertaining:
    http://thaddeusthesixth.blogspot.co.uk/2017/03/why-horses-are-better-than-cars-guest.html
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,236
    edited March 2017
    https://twitter.com/britainelects/status/837644009849896964

Not bad.
    Is this the highest turnout for any of the devolved parliament/assembly elections?

Edit: checked and only the first NI election in '98 was higher.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

HYUFD said:

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

SF First Minister?
    Hard to say. Big rises in turnout in East Antrim, North Down, and South Antrim could be Alliance/UUP but big rises in North Antrim, East Londonderry, and Strangford are likely DUP.
    We will see soon enough
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    Scott_P said:

chestnut said:

You are presumably blathering on about economies being entwined - well, that was true before the EU, during the EU and will still be after the EU.

And it has not, is not and never will be restricted to the EU.

Our personal tax and national insurance affairs however are very much tied to the UK and nowhere else......
  • Options
    Chris_AChris_A Posts: 1,237
    edited March 2017
    Glad your treatment was rapid and is working Mike. Hunt bleats constantly about wanting to make the NHS the safest Galgate system in the world. Time he streets pouring sufficient resources into it then. He also is constantly advising us that we have a "duty of candour". When half a million notes go missing leading to talk patient harm his b only response? Cover up.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,785
    FF43 said:

Scott_P said:

FF43 said:

The UK leaving the EU is a huge blow for them - no doubt.
    Scotland is 8% of the UK's GDP
    The UK is 17% of the EU's GDP
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,291
    Patrick Stewart is applying for US citizenship to 'fight' Donald Trump

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/03/03/patrick-stewart-applying-us-citizenship-fight-donald-trump/
  • Options
    Chris_AChris_A Posts: 1,237
    Van the Alliance be part of the Executive? Don't you need to be sectarian to do that?
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Pulpstar said:

Parts of Merseyside or Clydeside and some parts of Inner London are probably more so. The Unionist vote of 12% or so prevents it from being so.
    Even with Corbyn at the helm I'd hesitate to put Labour as more left wing than a party calling itself People Before Profit, or the Sinners themselves.

• Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    Chris_A said:

Van the Alliance be part of the Executive? Don't you need to be sectarian to do that?

That's a stupid system if so. I thought it just needed to be cross-party between the top (two?) parties and sectarianism guaranteed that those were from each side of the sectarian divide.
  • Options
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:
    Actually, that's an error. It records the number of ballot papers issued during those hours, rather than the cumulative total. No polling district has recorded a 23% turnout.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,998
    Mr. HYUFD, is he now being written by Russell T Davies?

"I'm so, so sorry."
  • Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503
    SeanT said:

My word., commiserations and best wishes to all the PB-ers who are variously poorly, ailing, and under-the-weather. I myself have quite the hangover.

I am merely incredibly soggy. If 'raining' was an Olympic sport, Wales would win gold every time. Wonderful to see the post-Brexit healing process continuing apace on PB. I can almost taste the love.
  • Options

FF43 said:

Scott_P said:

FF43 said:

The UK leaving the EU is a huge blow for them - no doubt.
    Scotland is 8% of the UK's GDP
    The UK is 17% of the EU's GDP
    You're missing my point. The UK won't exist in a meaningful form should Scotland leave. The EU will be a bit smaller but otherwise the same after the UK's departure.
  • Options

Chris_A said:

That's a stupid system if so. I thought it just needed to be cross-party between the top (two?) parties and sectarianism guaranteed that those were from each side of the sectarian divide.
    I think there's a "neither" category. On my superficial understanding of northern Irish politics any sensible person would vote Alliance. Naturally they get tiny votes.
  • Options

Mr. HYUFD, is he now being written by Russell T Davies?

"I'm so, so sorry."

Would not be surprised
This discussion has been closed.