Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The PB/Polling Matters podcast: After the by-elections what ne

124»

Comments

• Options
    Animal_pbAnimal_pb Posts: 608

Mr. Eagles, my sympathies.

Is frustrating, it means on certain days I don't drive, which means taxi drivers love me even more.
    Do you have a manual car? Getting an automatic can be a godsend (from personal experience - during a severe gout attack, I can barely walk, even with a stick, but an automatic makes driving *much* easier).
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,798
    kjohnw said:

FF43 said:

kjohnw said:

kjohnw said:

Sky - Jeff Sessions has reportedly told US media he is prepared to step down as Attorney General because of his dealings with Russia.

So that would be the National Security Advisor and the Attorney General resigning over their links to Russia.

Donald Trump, lock him up.

one private meeting with a russian ambassador amongst meeting 25 other foreign ambassadors hardly constitutes "links" to russia
    But he lied to the Senate about it.

Lock him up.
    no he said he "did not meet with any russians at any time to discuss any political campaign" which does not mean he did not meet the russian ambassador as a member of the Senate armed services Comittee. This is a hatchet job by the Democtrats
    Let's keep to the facts. He said he "had no communications" .
    that reply was given in the context of a question regarding the Trump campaign not regarding his position as a member the Senate Armed Services Comittee
    Not quite either. It was given in the context of a question whether anyone with links to the Trump campaign had communications with the Russians. Sessions was part of the Trump campaign at the time the private meeting took place. That he was also a member of the Senate Armed Services Committee is strictly an irrelevance although it could be enough of a distraction to get him off.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,292
    Everybodies favourite former PB now on MSNBC...
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,324

So he might not be standing down as AG but

Sessions offers to recuse himself from Russia investigation

http://thehill.com/homenews/administration/321947-sessions-denies-talking-campaign-with-russia

As ever, with someone so infallibly cunning as Donald Trump, this can only be a very clever ruse: this is all about getting us to Google something, which in turn will utterly strengthen his agenda. It's a ploy he's used time and time and time again, and the MSM still fall for it!
  • Options
    Animal_pb said:

Is frustrating, it means on certain days I don't drive, which means taxi drivers love me even more.
    Do you have a manual car? Getting an automatic can be a godsend (from personal experience - during a severe gout attack, I can barely walk, even with a stick, but an automatic makes driving *much* easier).
    I've driven nothing but automatics for years, the pain is more in my right leg, which makes automatics a challenge.

Plus it is a confidence issue too, I have passengers on board, and I don't want to be responsible for hurting (or worse) other road users too. Better to be safe than sorry.

One day I had to pull over, rang my father, who had to catch a taxi to take the car and me back home.
  • Options
    BudGBudG Posts: 711
    edited March 2017
    French Presiential election:

Macron is certainly the likeliest winner, but at anything under evens, his odds are terrible.

If Fillon makes it to the starting gate on March 17th it will mean that his polling figures have not dropped significantly enough for his Party to replace him. Factored in to his price at the moment is a risk that he will still have to withdraw. If he is a definite runner then his price will drop which will push Macron's price out.

If Fillon DOES withdraw, then his replacement is likely to be a much shorter price than Fillon's current price. When it looked as though Juppe or Baroin might replace him yesterday, Macron went out briefly to 2.3. Therefore a Fillon withdrawal is highly likely to push Macron's price out.

Some people have said that Le Pen is one ISIS atrocity away from the Presidency. I don't think that is the case, but what effect such an event WOULD have is to bring Le Pen's price down sharply, which will push Macron's price out. Also, Macron is not considered to be strong on law and order, so a serious terrorist attack would be likely to weaken his price.

All things considered, I can see why people are wanting to bet on Macron, because at 7-8 weeks away from the first round, it is difficult to be confident about the chances of the alternatives. However, for reasons above, he is a lay at the moment at odds on for me.
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,727

http://thehill.com/homenews/administration/321947-sessions-denies-talking-campaign-with-russia

As ever, with someone so infallibly cunning as Donald Trump, this can only be a very clever ruse: this is all about getting us to Google something, which in turn will utterly strengthen his agenda. It's a ploy he's used time and time and time again, and the MSM still fall for it!
    Are you trying to wind up Plato?
  • Options

Well it worked with Michael Flynn and Milo.

Oh :lol:
  • Options

Animal_pb said:

I've driven nothing but automatics for years, the pain is more in my right leg, which makes automatics a challenge.

Plus it is a confidence issue too, I have passengers on board, and I don't want to be responsible for hurting (or worse) other road users too. Better to be safe than sorry.

One day I had to pull over, rang my father, who had to catch a taxi to take the car and me back home.
    Sorry to hear the news mate.
    Could you not get the pedal offset changed in an auto so you can use your left leg?

• Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

Charles said:

surbiton said:

I have 6 prescriptions a month.

In the past I'd waste 30 mins trying to ring up the surgery to order them, spend another 30 mins going to the surgery to pick it up, then another hour to drop it off at the pharmacy.

Now, I use an app on my phone, order my prescription, it is sent electronically to my nominated pharmacy, and two days later, my prescription is ready and waiting for me at the pharmacy.

But down with technology say the Luddites.

Why don't you order a repeat prescription each time you collect ? You don't even need the technology.
    I have the option of different quantities/dosages/strengths available on a few of them.

Some months I need industrial amounts of gabapentin for example.
    RLS? or NP?
    Neuropathic pain in the feet and legs,
    Ouch.

Still it could be worse. I once looked at a drug for intermittent claudication - a disease where the primary symptom is pins and needles in your legs that are so bad you can't walk more than a few paces at a time
  • Options
    FF43 said:

kjohnw said:

kjohnw said:

Sky - Jeff Sessions has reportedly told US media he is prepared to step down as Attorney General because of his dealings with Russia.

So that would be the National Security Advisor and the Attorney General resigning over their links to Russia.

one private meeting with a russian ambassador amongst meeting 25 other foreign ambassadors hardly constitutes "links" to russia

Lock him up.
    no he said he "did not meet with any russians at any time to discuss any political campaign" which does not mean he did not meet the russian ambassador as a member of the Senate armed services Comittee. This is a hatchet job by the Democtrats
    "no communications as a member of the Trump campaign"
  • Options

Animal_pb said:

Sorry to hear the news mate.
    Could you not get the pedal offset changed in an auto so you can use your left leg?

It probably happens three times a month during the winter months, normally it is manageable, so there's no point making major changes to the cars.
  • Options
    Animal_pbAnimal_pb Posts: 608

Animal_pb said:

You have my sympathies. There are few things more frustrating than waking up and realising that as an otherwise able-bodied man you're going to spend the day as a cripple because your legs won't let you do more than a feeble limp.
  • Options
    rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,920

You had me excited for a bit there!
    The case for an independent investigation is certainly gaining momentum anyway...
  • Options
    Charles said:

Charles said:

surbiton said:

In the past I'd waste 30 mins trying to ring up the surgery to order them, spend another 30 mins going to the surgery to pick it up, then another hour to drop it off at the pharmacy.

Now, I use an app on my phone, order my prescription, it is sent electronically to my nominated pharmacy, and two days later, my prescription is ready and waiting for me at the pharmacy.

Why don't you order a repeat prescription each time you collect ? You don't even need the technology.
    I have the option of different quantities/dosages/strengths available on a few of them.

RLS? or NP?
    Ouch.

Still it could be worse. I once looked at a drug for intermittent claudication - a disease where the primary symptom is pins and needles in your legs that are so bad you can't walk more than a few paces at a time
    It feels like that sometimes.

But I live with a Doctor, so I'm well looked after.
  • Options
    Charles said:

FF43 said:

kjohnw said:

kjohnw said:

Lock him up.
    Strictly speaking that doesn't let him off. The question was whether anyone linked to the Trump campaign had communications not whether they had communications as a function of the Trump campaign
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,403
    SeanT said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

Mr. Royale, the Morris Dancer Party is committed to not being slavish to technology. All shops and so forth would be required to accept cash. No wanky restaurants only accepting payment via apps.

Sometimes I just want to escape to a small farm in rural Devon, get some pigs, a large vegetable patch and a couple of dogs, and never trouble or be troubled by the world again.
    I did that last week. Booked myself an idyllic cottage on Dartmoor, all set for a gorgeous week of writing, hiking, reading and thinking.

By day four I was so mad, bored and lonely I booked into a five star hotel near Plymouth, with much better wifi (and an amazing spa).

Rustic isolation is overrated.

It didn't help that the weather was unbelievably harsh: very cold, very wet, very windy. Great for invoking the bleak moods I wanted in my thriller but, in reality, just pretty damn bleak.
    Pretty bloody gorgeous down here in Devon today. But you'd still be mad, bored and lonely.
    Devon is a lovely place. If I were ever to retire from London life, but stay in the UK, the south Devon coast around Salcombe and Dartmouth would be high on my list of possible resting places, along with the Cornish coast around Falmouth.

But ideally I'd like to have enough money to end my days wintering in Thailand and Australia, and summering in London.
    Three hours to London from Totnes, on a lunch or dinner train serving fine Mitch Tonks food in agreeable company (Tim Smit of the Eden Project is a regular for example) means London (and its airports) will always be there if you want it. But really, maybe one or two nights every two or three weeks is all you need to keep up with business contacts. The rest of the time, you won't miss it.

(Spoken as someone who lives on a hill top and can see Dartmouth to the left of me, over to Salcombe to the right - with a spectacular Devon valley down to the sea straight ahead.... In a Victorian house in the middle of 9 acres, that you could buy for the cost of a VERY modest London pad.)
    I can see the appeal of Devon, but I actually LOVE London life. Still. Restaurants, bars, friends, daughter, girlfriends, Hampstead, Soho, the Edinboro Castle, Heathrow, the Groucho. I couldn't exist without Regent's Park and the Nash Terraces. They keep me sane.

London is great if you are young or rich. I am no longer young, but I am now rich.
    I love being in London and not ever getting round to going to all those cultural and social happenings.

That said I am going to Twelfth Night tonight. So I don't manage to escape completely.
  • Options
    Chortle

In 1999, then Sen. Jeff Sessions (R-Ala.) described perjury claims against President Bill Clinton as “serious allegations.”

“In America, the Supreme Court and the American people believe no one is above the law,” he said. Sessions also voted “guilty” on charges of perjury and obstruction of justice during Clinton’s impeachment trial.

Now, questions are being raised over statements Sessions made under oath to the Senate during his attorney general confirmation hearings last month. Sessions testified that he “did not have communications with the Russians” during the 2016 presidential election campaign, but a new report in the Washington Post said he spoke twice to the ambassador last year.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/jeff-sessions-bill-clinton-impeachment_us_58b7d0c3e4b0a8ded67a51e9?section=politics
  • Options
    kjohnwkjohnw Posts: 1,456
    Charles said:

FF43 said:

kjohnw said:

kjohnw said:

Lock him up.
    quite
  • Options
    Charles said:

FF43 said:

kjohnw said:

kjohnw said:

Lock him up.
    I don't think your quote is accurate?
    I think he said... With the Russians after that.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,602
    edited March 2017
    Animal_pb said:

Animal_pb said:

You have my sympathies. There are few things more frustrating than waking up and realising that as an otherwise able-bodied man you're going to spend the day as a cripple because your legs won't let you do more than a feeble limp.
    I'm fortunate (sic) that I know by about 7am whether or not my feet and legs are going to be pain free and able or not.

Some people don't know until the moment the pain kicks in, or they fall down.
  • Options
    FF43 said:

Charles said:

FF43 said:

kjohnw said:

kjohnw said:

Lock him up.
    Strictly speaking that doesn't let him off. The question was whether anyone linked to the Trump campaign had communications not whether they had communications as a function of the Trump campaign
    I think you could make an argument for a misunderstanding though.
  • Options
    At his Judiciary Committee confirmation hearing in January, Sessions was asked by Democratic Senator Al Franken what he would do if he learned of any evidence that anyone affiliated with the Trump campaign communicated with the Russian government in the course of the 2016 campaign, the Post reported.

"I’m not aware of any of those activities," Sessions responded, according to the Post.

He added: "I have been called a surrogate at a time or two in that campaign and I did not have communications with the Russians."

http://www.aljazeera.com/news/2017/03/attorney-general-jeff-sessions-disclose-russia-contacts-report-170302041900080.html
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    rkrkrk said:

Charles said:

FF43 said:

kjohnw said:

kjohnw said:

Lock him up.
    I don't think your quote is accurate?
    I think he said... With the Russians after that.
    dangers of copy/paste - I should have deleted @FF43 's quote marks
  • Options

NEW THREAD

• Options
    kjohnwkjohnw Posts: 1,456
    edited March 2017

At his Judiciary Committee confirmation hearing in January, Sessions was asked by Democratic Senator Al Franken what he would do if he learned of any evidence that anyone affiliated with the Trump campaign communicated with the Russian government in the course of the 2016 campaign, the Post reported.

"I’m not aware of any of those activities," Sessions responded, according to the Post.

He added: "I have been called a surrogate at a time or two in that campaign and I did not have communications with the Russians."

http://www.aljazeera.com/news/2017/03/attorney-general-jeff-sessions-disclose-russia-contacts-report-170302041900080.html

in the context of the 2016 campaign not in the context of his role as member of senate armed services comittee
  • Options

That's clearly linking "being called a surrogate" to "communications with the Russians".
  • Options

At best he is being misleading.

I guess the next thing to ask is what they talked about at these meetings?

Flynn tried lying about that at got caught out... So interesting to see what Sessions says...
  • Options
    Charles said:

FF43 said:

Charles said:

FF43 said:

kjohnw said:

kjohnw said:

Lock him up.
    I think you could make an argument for a misunderstanding though.
    Maybe. The other problem is that even if you put the interpretation on it that he really intended to say he did not talk about the campaign with the Russians, he wasn't answering the question asked, which is whether the communications took place, not what they were about.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,068
    edited March 2017
    Charles said:

Charles said:

surbiton said:

RLS? or NP?
    Ouch.

Many years ago, when I used to give talks to carers on what problems they should look for in those they caring for which might be associated with medication I used to try and devote one half hour to the problems associated with Warfarin alone.

And, Mr E, although I sometimes mutter about having developed a second, different, cancer to the one of which I was declared finally cured a year ago, plus life long, albeit mild, asthma, you make me count my blessings.
This discussion has been closed.