Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » This week’s PB/Polling Matters podcast featuring Margaret That

SystemSystem Posts: 11,697
edited February 2017 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » This week’s PB/Polling Matters podcast featuring Margaret Thatcher’s authorised biographer & how Labour can re-engage with disaffected working class voters

politicalbetting.com is proudly powered by WordPress with "Neat!" theme. Entries (RSS) and Comments (RSS).

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,985
    First, glorious first!
  • Options
    Sounds like an interesting episode. Will try to listen on my commute tomorrow!
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,927
    edited February 2017
    Third like UKIP in Stoke?
    Or maybe the Lib Dems. Or possibly the Tories.
    I guess we'll know by this time tomorrow.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Blue Nun on standby.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,195
  • Options
    tlg86 said:
    Copeland waking up in the middle of it!
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    RobD said:

Sandpit said:

Blue Nun on standby.
    Your consumption of religious p*rn is noted ....
  • Options
    A really good podcast, with two very insightful interviews. Well done to @Keiranpedley and the team.
  • Options
    Not a new thesis but some interesting statistics and on topic.

This Century Is Broken https://nyti.ms/2m36XUj
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

A really good podcast, with two very insightful interviews. Well done to @Keiranpedley and the team.

Agree - fascinating stuff from Charles Moore & the report from on the ground in Stoke.
  • Options
    Oh dear......

SCOTTISH Labour suffered a catastrophic drop in donations last year, hamstringing its ability to fight the Holyrood election, its accounts have revealed. Published ahead of this weekend’s conference in Perth, the figures show Kezia Dugdale’s first full year as leader was the party’s worst for donations since 2009. In 2015, the party had donations of just under £600,00; in 2016 it was just over £100,000. And after a £98,000 surplus in 2015, Scottish Labour ended 2016 with a deficit of £104,000.

The party’s reserves also slumped below £160,000, their lowest level since 2003.

A Labour source admitted: "Donations to the party across the entire UK have dried up since Jeremy Corbyn became leader. Scottish Labour is no different. People are not donating while Jeremy is leader."

http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/15109123.Scottish_Labour_donations_collapse_in_Dugdale_s_first_year_as_leader/?ref=mr&lp=12
  • Options
    PlatoSaidPlatoSaid Posts: 10,383
    "French far right leader Marine Le Pen has increased her lead in the first round of France's presidential election, though she is still seen being beaten by a wide margin in the runoff, a BVA-Salesforce poll published on Thursday showed.

The National Front head would win 27.5 percent of the vote in the April 23 first round, up 2.5 percentage points from the last time the poll was conducted on Feb 4.

Independent centrist Emmanuel Macron was seen coming in second in the first round with 21 percent of the vote, down one percentage point, followed by conservative Francois Fillon at 19 percent, also down one percentage point.

http://mobile.reuters.com/article/idUSKBN16208I?utm_campaign=trueAnthem:+Trending+Content&utm_content=58ae5f7104d301549ae11730&utm_medium=trueAnthem&utm_source=twitter
  • Options

Some of those statistics are quite shocking. 11% of Ohioans are prescribed opiates, one in eight American men has a felony conviction, the actual unemployment rate is four times the official rate and half of those missing are on some sort of disability benefit etc etc.
  • Options
    One cynical journalist's view of the cynical people of Copeland. Worth a read for anyone who doesn't understand why voters are fed up with politicians!
    http://www.itv.com/news/border/2017-02-22/copeland-a-by-election-which-has-further-damaged-peoples-faith-in-politics/
  • Options
    AlsoIndigoAlsoIndigo Posts: 1,852
    Sandpit said:

Some of those statistics are quite shocking. 11% of Ohioans are prescribed opiates, one in eight American men has a felony conviction, the actual unemployment rate is four times the official rate and half of those missing are on some sort of disability benefit etc etc.
    American stopped dreaming

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=27uIF5q9POM
  • Options
    JackW said:

RobD said:

Sandpit said:

Blue Nun on standby.
    Your consumption of religious p*rn is noted ....
    I'm a good Tory, you'd never catch me with a nun dressed in red!
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,045
    Sandpit said:

I'm hoping for both by-elections to be ties.
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

"French far right leader Marine Le Pen has increased her lead in the first round of France's presidential election, though she is still seen being beaten by a wide margin in the runoff, a BVA-Salesforce poll published on Thursday showed.

The National Front head would win 27.5 percent of the vote in the April 23 first round, up 2.5 percentage points from the last time the poll was conducted on Feb 4.

Independent centrist Emmanuel Macron was seen coming in second in the first round with 21 percent of the vote, down one percentage point, followed by conservative Francois Fillon at 19 percent, also down one percentage point.

http://mobile.reuters.com/article/idUSKBN16208I?utm_campaign=trueAnthem:+Trending+Content&utm_content=58ae5f7104d301549ae11730&utm_medium=trueAnthem&utm_source=twitter

It will be interesting to see how that changes now Bayrou is dropping out, and campaigning for Macron.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

I find it staggering that Italy has generated more jobs since 1999 (percentage-wise!) than the US.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

American stopped dreaming

ttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=27uIF5q9POM
    Very true. We need more people like Neil Tyson (and Elon Musk, Jeff Bezos etc) around. Those prepared to push the boundaries.

I just saw your PM, shall reply later.
  • Options
    @Sandpit That's a fantastic and astute piece. The author is clearly very bright and deserves to go far in journalism. First the case for the prosecution. The campaign has failed Copeland utterly. UKIP haven't bothered in a seat they polled above the national average in in 2015. The other ' Big Three ' have all been using it as a lab rat for post Brexit tactics for an early General Election. It's been striking how all the primary narratives from everyone read like they've been crafted by a London political operative looking at a demographic break down and the Brexit results but who has never actually met a Copeland voter. The saving grace of Labour's rather horrid NHS campaign is they have at least localised it.

The Big Two have both failed. The Tories are in government and could have offered pork barrel and hard promises on the big issues. Neither have materialised. It's startling that *nothing* has been promised to seat. Labour could have framed it's campaign around trying to achieve change. Demanded the government do X. But they didn't want to government to do X. Where would they be without Hospital downgrades.

Those are just the headlines. The number of other major and middle ranking local issues that have never been mentioned is staggering. It's been a pure culture war of Corbyn is Crap/Brexit vs The Tories will kill your baby.

The independent group behind the Mayoral Referendum and then election of an independent mayor has fizzled. The two independent candidates are fringe cranks.

The Greens have at least pushed renewables and the Tidal Lagoon but seem obsessed by justifying standing in the first place.

Of course Stoke being called, which is vastly easier for journalists and activists to get to, being called on the same day was going to dilute impact. But it's been a colossal missed oppertunity to debate the areas real challenges and extract policy and cash from the government.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

One cynical journalist's view of the cynical people of Copeland. Worth a read for anyone who doesn't understand why voters are fed up with politicians!
    http://www.itv.com/news/border/2017-02-22/copeland-a-by-election-which-has-further-damaged-peoples-faith-in-politics/

Voters thinking they're being ignored by the established parties......where have I heard that before?
  • Options
    DixieDixie Posts: 1,221
    I've spoken to top Tories and top UKIP re: by-elections. Both say that if voters vote as per canvass returns, Labour will win both. But, there is a high degree of Labour wobblers who are counted. They may not vote. As we know, turnout will be key, but we don't know who it will help.

My sources are not jumping up and down with bravado, so I am sure they are telling me the truth. But, as ew know, favourites sometimes lose!
  • Options
    DixieDixie Posts: 1,221

Sandpit said:

Voters thinking they're being ignored by the established parties......where have I heard that before?
    although asking Leaders is unfair. They are being a hostage to fortune. A PM is not the decision maker, they don't have that power. NHS will make the medical decision. Minister will be involved. PM signs off total budget.
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    edited February 2017
    Morning all.

Excellent podcast this week Mr Pedley, will try and listen to the second half as time permits.
  • Options
    fitalassfitalass Posts: 4,279
    edited February 2017

Sandpit said:

Nothing like going from a very safe seat that doesn't even register on either parties target list to becoming a marginal if you want to get noticed by the main established parties outside election campaigns.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    rcs1000 said:

Sandpit said:

I find it staggering that Italy has generated more jobs since 1999 (percentage-wise!) than the US.
    One of the more depressing PB spats of recent days was about migrants to Sweden, and someone posted a tweet showing employment rates for native born and migrants to Sweden. Migrants had a 62% employment rate, native born about 80%. A problem no doubt, but the US employment rate for native born Americans was just about the same as those migrants in Sweden.

More Americans die from opiate addiction (majority prescription) than from either guns or vehicles. America is a very sick society, with social and geographic mobility declining, drugged up on prescription, obese and staring at screens all day. Or at least part of it is, while the other part works multiple jobs to make ends meet.

Many parts of Britain are similar. I see a bit too much of it in my clinics. As individual patients, I sympathise and treat, but as a culture it worries me.

• Options
    @Sandpit The case for the defence is politicans are only flesh and blood. Copeland is one of the prettiest, safest and cheapest places to live in the UK. Why isn't it sucking in investment ? Why should Whitehaven town centre so different to Kendal ? Or even Workington ? Why is a large part of such a pretty, safe and cheap place also a depopulating and increasing scruffy sh*thole ?

Most Copeland voters don't want to face hard truths. It's the Jurrassc Park of Brexit. Whisper it but large sections of the population actually don't want change at all. They are furious a historically fleeting post war settlement they think is normative is gone and want it back as a birthright. But creating a dynamic mixed 21st Century economy to sustain their community ? Too much effort.

This is where Sellafield comes in. For practical purposes it's always been there. It's big enough to prevent socio economic collapse but not big ( or correctly structured ) enough to generate popular prosperity. It's a jealous lover and advocating anything else gets you labelled anti Sellafield. It strangles local politics via it's patronage.

Broadly if you have decades of appalling local government ( persistently re-elected ) , are satisfied with an economic monoculture and appalling NIMBYISM then Copeland is what you get.

The legacy of social capital from heavy industry then Labour's big social spending kept the show on the road. Now both have stopped the roof has fallen in.

The fact the one big new piece of information of this campaign, that Moorside is now under threat and what the government could do about it, hasn't been the define issue is deeply telling.

We can't reap what we don't sow.

Anyway polls have opened so I'm off to vote !

• Options

Morning all.

Excellent podcast this week Mr Pedley, will try and listen to the second half as time permits.

It was. The second half was the best bit.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,356
    Well Doris has given us a couple of inches of snow this morning. Wet and slippery as well as a very strong wind that's knocking bins over. And this is on the east coast.

Not a gritter in sight of course.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

Oh dear......

SCOTTISH Labour suffered a catastrophic drop in donations last year, hamstringing its ability to fight the Holyrood election, its accounts have revealed. Published ahead of this weekend’s conference in Perth, the figures show Kezia Dugdale’s first full year as leader was the party’s worst for donations since 2009. In 2015, the party had donations of just under £600,00; in 2016 it was just over £100,000. And after a £98,000 surplus in 2015, Scottish Labour ended 2016 with a deficit of £104,000.

The party’s reserves also slumped below £160,000, their lowest level since 2003.

A Labour source admitted: "Donations to the party across the entire UK have dried up since Jeremy Corbyn became leader. Scottish Labour is no different. People are not donating while Jeremy is leader."

http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/15109123.Scottish_Labour_donations_collapse_in_Dugdale_s_first_year_as_leader/?ref=mr&lp=12

Election year vs non election year not a relevant factor then?

sloppy work
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,760
    rcs1000 said:

PlatoSaid said:

It will be interesting to see how that changes now Bayrou is dropping out, and campaigning for Macron.
    I can never see the attraction Of Bayrou
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

That's a pretty damning article.

I sympathise with the voters of Copeland.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

Sandpit said:

One of the more depressing PB spats of recent days was about migrants to Sweden, and someone posted a tweet showing employment rates for native born and migrants to Sweden. Migrants had a 62% employment rate, native born about 80%. A problem no doubt, but the US employment rate for native born Americans was just about the same as those migrants in Sweden.

More Americans die from opiate addiction (majority prescription) than from either guns or vehicles. America is a very sick society, with social and geographic mobility declining, drugged up on prescription, obese and staring at screens all day. Or at least part of it is, while the other part works multiple jobs to make ends meet.

Many parts of Britain are similar. I see a bit too much of it in my clinics. As individual patients, I sympathise and treat, but as a culture it worries me.

but isnt that the culture you have voted for ?

It's not as if this happened overnight, it's the cumulation of pretty much the same policies for the last 20 years or so, irrespective of which party was in government.

• Options

@Sandpit The case for the defence is politicans are only flesh and blood. Copeland is one of the prettiest, safest and cheapest places to live in the UK. Why isn't it sucking in investment ? Why should Whitehaven town centre so different to Kendal ? Or even Workington ? Why is a large part of such a pretty, safe and cheap place also a depopulating and increasing scruffy sh*thole ?

From say Reading, it takes an almost an hour and a half longer to get to Whitehaven than Kendal by Road, and almost two hours longer by rail
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Well Doris has given us a couple of inches of snow this morning. Wet and slippery as well as a very strong wind that's knocking bins over. And this is on the east coast.

Good cover of slushy snow here in Aberdeenshire, but no sign of even a breeze so far.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

It is, but the truth is quite painful. Both nuclear development and viable public services in Copeland require substantial financial transfers from the rest of the UK.
  • Options

This is where Sellafield comes in. For practical purposes it's always been there. It's big enough to prevent socio economic collapse but not big ( or correctly structured ) enough to generate popular prosperity. It's a jealous lover and advocating anything else gets you labelled anti Sellafield. It strangles local politics via it's patronage.

So in political terms, it's a little local equivalent of the NHS?
  • Options

Sandpit said:

It is, but the truth is quite painful. Both nuclear development and viable public services in Copeland require substantial financial transfers from the rest of the UK.
    Country dwellers expect to be heavily subsidised by the metropolitan elite and in return to be allowed to continue to despise them.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

Country dwellers expect to be heavily subsidised by the metropolitan elite and in return to be allowed to continue to despise them.
    it's one of our great pleasures.

now get back to work, you have taxes to pay
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

Sandpit said:

It's not as if this happened overnight, it's the cumulation of pretty much the same policies for the last 20 years or so, irrespective of which party was in government.

No, it isn't what I voted for. Over the 35 years since I reached voting age, I have had a government that I voted for for 10 years, the rest one I opposed.

It was particularly under Mrs Thatcher that Britons were shunted from unemployment to disability benefits.
  • Options
    edited February 2017

rcs1000 said:

Sandpit said:

No, it isn't what I voted for. Over the 35 years since I reached voting age, I have had a government that I voted for for 10 years, the rest one I opposed.

It was particularly under Mrs Thatcher that Britons were shunted from unemployment to disability benefits.
    well so what ? Has anyone reversed the decision - Blair, Brown, Cameron ?

the one feeble effort by IDS to get people off disability got a stream of abuse and was promptly cannned.

The political parties since 1997 have all had a similar agenda, bar a bit of mucking about on tax they have had broadly the same economic policies. So while you might not have voted for Dave he was Continuity Blair and followed the same policies and gave you the results you dont like.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,356
    The NYT piece is really quite shocking and shows how badly the economy is providing for the just below average American. I am sure that someone enterprising enough could produce very similar statistics here and for similar reasons. The loss of well paid, semi-skilled jobs in both economies has devastated societies leaving them with chronic structural unemployment with the options being minimum wage work, the gig economy and zero hour contracts. This has a knock on effect to retail, the service economy and the demand on the State's resources.

I am really not sure what we can do about this. It is easy to say that we need to improve education and training (and we undoubtedly do) but the reality is that many of our fellow citizens will never be adequately trained or educated to be useful for the better paid jobs our society now provides.

We are edging towards the sort of Society that SF writers write about, where too many of our citizens can no longer make useful contributions and live on subsistence all too frequently on the edge of the law with drugs, petty criminality and cheating the system the only way ahead. It is a brutal place and the lack of planning, willingness to recognise and address the cause of the problems let alone find any answers is inflicting a heavy toll.

It puts the problems our politicians witter about into a stark perspective. Is it any wonder that a charlatan like Trump promising to bring those well paid, semi-skilled jobs back gets elected?
  • Options
    fitalass said:

DavidL said:

Good cover of slushy snow here in Aberdeenshire, but no sign of even a breeze so far.
    A slightly more windy damp morning here in E Mids, but nothing unusual for Feb.

Rain and wind in England in February. Who'd have thought?
  • Options
    ThreeQuidderThreeQuidder Posts: 6,133
    edited February 2017

rcs1000 said:

Sandpit said:

Unfortunately, in a democracy there is no right to vote for a winner.

Which 10 years, incidentally? 1997-2007?
  • Options
    London is currently dry, if dark grey. So that's alright then.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

Sandpit said:

1997 - 2001; and 2010-15. Actually only 9 years, I was rounding off a bit.
  • Options

London is currently dry, if dark grey. So that's alright then.

What about Stoke though?
  • Options

fitalass said:

DavidL said:

I couldn't believe the fuss the media made when the Met Office forecast that last wee drop of snow we experienced a few weeks ago. The words get a grip its winter sprung to mind.
  • Options
    Blue_rogBlue_rog Posts: 2,019

rcs1000 said:

Sandpit said:

Before Thatcher they were kept off the unemployment register by dumping them in non jobs in the nationalised industries.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

Sandpit said:

the one feeble effort by IDS to get people off disability got a stream of abuse and was promptly cannned.

The political parties since 1997 have all had a similar agenda, bar a bit of mucking about on tax they have had broadly the same economic policies. So while you might not have voted for Dave he was Continuity Blair and followed the same policies and gave you the results you dont like.
    You seem to be misattributing politics to me. I supported the moves by IDS to move people off disability benefits (though IDS did carry it out with characteristic incompetence!).
  • Options

@Sandpit That's a fantastic and astute piece. The author is clearly very bright and deserves to go far in journalism. First the case for the prosecution. The campaign has failed Copeland utterly. UKIP haven't bothered in a seat they polled above the national average in in 2015. The other ' Big Three ' have all been using it as a lab rat for post Brexit tactics for an early General Election. It's been striking how all the primary narratives from everyone read like they've been crafted by a London political operative looking at a demographic break down and the Brexit results but who has never actually met a Copeland voter. The saving grace of Labour's rather horrid NHS campaign is they have at least localised it.

The Big Two have both failed. The Tories are in government and could have offered pork barrel and hard promises on the big issues. Neither have materialised. It's startling that *nothing* has been promised to seat. Labour could have framed it's campaign around trying to achieve change. Demanded the government do X. But they didn't want to government to do X. Where would they be without Hospital downgrades.

Those are just the headlines. The number of other major and middle ranking local issues that have never been mentioned is staggering. It's been a pure culture war of Corbyn is Crap/Brexit vs The Tories will kill your baby.

The independent group behind the Mayoral Referendum and then election of an independent mayor has fizzled. The two independent candidates are fringe cranks.

The Greens have at least pushed renewables and the Tidal Lagoon but seem obsessed by justifying standing in the first place.

Of course Stoke being called, which is vastly easier for journalists and activists to get to, being called on the same day was going to dilute impact. But it's been a colossal missed oppertunity to debate the areas real challenges and extract policy and cash from the government.

"The Greens have at least pushed renewables and the Tidal Lagoon but seem obsessed by justifying standing in the first place."

I wonder if that was because pressure was bought to bear from head office about the Progressive Alliance and standing aside?
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

Sandpit said:

Always LibDem except when you were taken in by Blair. Not a record to take pride in.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,965

Sandpit said:

Whats the endgame - London stretching between Chelmsford, Peterborough, Northampton and Guildford with 60 million population ?
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

PlatoSaid said:

I can never see the attraction Of Bayrou
    I'm guessing that's because you're not that way inclined.
  • Options
    edited February 2017

rcs1000 said:

Sandpit said:

Always LibDem except when you were taken in by Blair. Not a record to take pride in.
    In 2010 I voted Conservative in a GE, for the first tme in my life, and quite possibly the last. I am a genuinely centrist floating voter. I joined the LibDems in 2013.
  • Options
    Good morning, everyone.

Probably listen to the podcast later (as I've done for the last few) when I've woken up a bit more.

Intriguing day ahead. I was unlikely to stay up late anyway, but given the results might be delayed until the middle of tomorrow, I'll just see how things are in the morning.

Only four days until the first (of two) F1 test.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

Sandpit said:

In 2010 I voted Conservative in a GE, for the first tme in my life, and quite possibly the last. I am a genuinely centrist floating voter.
    Soft centre.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

The NYT piece is really quite shocking and shows how badly the economy is providing for the just below average American. I am sure that someone enterprising enough could produce very similar statistics here and for similar reasons. The loss of well paid, semi-skilled jobs in both economies has devastated societies leaving them with chronic structural unemployment with the options being minimum wage work, the gig economy and zero hour contracts. This has a knock on effect to retail, the service economy and the demand on the State's resources.

Absolutely. The sad news is we are going to lose a lot in terms of relative living standards over the next few decades because globalisation acts to average the standard of living of the global workforce, and that means we are going to be averaged against a billion Indians and two billion Chinese. They work harder and longer for less money, business will inevitably move there. They have an effectively bottomless sump of labour to draw from so there will be very little movement in wages in those countries for the foreseeable future. Sure we can console ourselves that our dynamic liberal societies make betters ideas people and we are better at creativity, but how many people does that employ ? Half the population or more doesn't have the gifts to handle anything but a unskilled or semi-skilled job, the trick for the next half a century is going to be making those people feel like valued members of society, because if we continue to shaft them to maintain the standards of living of the lucky few things will get ugly.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

Sandpit said:

So actually only four years.
  • Options
    fitalass said:

fitalass said:

DavidL said:

I couldn't believe the fuss the media made when the Met Office forecast that last wee drop of snow we experienced a few weeks ago. The words get a grip its winter sprung to mind.
    Yeah, but by now snow was supposed to be a thing of the past.
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    DavidL said:

Wet and slippery as well as a very strong wind .....

Sounds like a prominent Conservative minister of my acquaint in the 1980's .... :smile:

• Options

DavidL said:

Absolutely. The sad news is we are going to lose a lot in terms of relative living standards over the next few decades because globalisation acts to average the standard of living of the global workforce, and that means we are going to be averaged against a billion Indians and two billion Chinese. They work harder and longer for less money, business will inevitably move there. They have an effectively bottomless sump of labour to draw from so there will be very little movement in wages in those countries for the foreseeable future. Sure we can console ourselves that our dynamic liberal societies make betters ideas people and we are better at creativity, but how many people does that employ ? Half the population or more doesn't have the gifts to handle anything but a unskilled or semi-skilled job, the trick for the next half a century is going to be making those people feel like valued members of society, because if we continue to shaft them to maintain the standards of living of the lucky few things will get ugly.
    Except that countries like Sweden, Netherlands and Germany manage to be succesful manufacturing economies with high employment and high wage rates. There are other ways forward.

It is jobs in tech and financial services next on the globalisation hit list.
  • Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,351
    Dr Fox,

It sounds like you're a sort of Frank Field type of voter, Incidentally, a man I have a lot of time for. Old-fashioned Labour, now long-gone.

Jwzza may accidentally bring it back.
  • Options
    Interesting contrast in GOTV messages on twitter from the Conservatives in todays by-elections.
    Copeland - "Don’t let Copeland be ignored and forgotten. VOTE TODAY for Trudy Harrison."
    Stoke - "Support the Prime Minister's plan to make a success of Brexit. Vote Jack Brereton today."
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

Sandpit said:

Adds up to 9! but gotta go.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

Sandpit said:

“If you always do what you’ve always done, you’ll always get what you’ve always got.”

That's where we are, and where we have been for as long as I can remember. For me, that's why Brexit and Trump have happened, and why voters are starting to think "Feck it, I'll vote for someone else". Those semi skilled jobs are never coming back though, are they? That makes me think that we'll see ever more extreme politicians gaining prominence, and civil unrest around Europe and the US as things unravel. It's going to be a tough time for our children.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,325

rcs1000 said:

Sandpit said:

We would however have a better democracy if fewer votes were wasted, and if there were fewer places where voting is effectively pointless.
  • Options

Except that countries like Sweden, Netherlands and Germany manage to be succesful manufacturing economies with high employment and high wage rates. There are other ways forward.

Globalisation has just started. Their days are numbered as well. I know people here sneer at the rote learning chinese style education system, and how its no use for creativity, but its more than fine for 90% of jobs, which will migrate to where they can be done better and cheaper. The remaining jobs which don't migrate will be for exceptional people, and everyone can't be exceptional.

• Options

Sandpit said:

I'm not trying to be clever here, just observant. If you look at the 49 LSOAs that make up Copeland (borough rather than constituency - though they may be the same), 19 are classified as urban city/town and a further 20 are classified as rural town and fringe.

I think you make a fair point about country dwellers - I generally don't get too upset when they get flooding in the idyllic places, I'm more concerned about people in Carlisle, for example, who probably have little choice over where they live. But it seems to me that the bigger issue is that somewhere like Whitehaven is remote. Stoke may have lost a lot of its industry, but at least you're not all that far from two very big cities and have decent rail connections. If you live in Whitehaven, there is Sellafield and that's about all.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    Is anyone backing the Tories in Stoke?
  • Options
    Mr. B2, disagree. Look at proportional systems. The government is determined by the political class following the vote, not by the electorate at the ballot box.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    edited February 2017

I remember thinking how good the 1990s were at the time, and wondering whether it was too good to last. IIRC 1994 was the year the UK had its highest growth rate in recent times.
  • Options

Mr. B2, disagree. Look at proportional systems. The government is determined by the political class following the vote, not by the electorate at the ballot box.

As the Netherlands is about to demonstrated admirably. Its likely PVV will get the highest share of the vote, and likely that a coalition of the losers will keep them from any sort of power.
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    Underkill by James White has an answer to unemployed unskilled people and may also help with Global Warming. Get them to work treadmills connected to the grid for 8 hours a day.

Edited to change author - confused writer with chef
  • Options
    PlatoSaidPlatoSaid Posts: 10,383
    Snell has a gold mine on Twitter

Joe Rich
    Will Labour leader Jeremy Corby give Gareth Snell, their candidate in Stoke Central, an answer to this question during their meeting today? https://t.co/C9IABtQuYF
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

Sandpit said:

Adds up to 9! but gotta go.
    Definitely four. You didn't vote for a Conservative/Lib Dem coalition in 2010.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

Sandpit said:

I'm not trying to be clever here, just observant. If you look at the 49 LSOAs that make up Copeland (borough rather than constituency - though they may be the same), 19 are classified as urban city/town and a further 20 are classified as rural town and fringe.

I think you make a fair point about country dwellers - I generally don't get too upset when they get flooding in the idyllic places, I'm more concerned about people in Carlisle, for example, who probably have little choice over where they live. But it seems to me that the bigger issue is that somewhere like Whitehaven is remote. Stoke may have lost a lot of its industry, but at least you're not all that far from two very big cities and have decent rail connections. If you live in Whitehaven, there is Sellafield and that's about all.
    Should we be subsidising people to live in remote isolation or should we be encouraging people to move to @Pulpstar's megacity? Or should we be doing something intermediate (and if so what)?

I don't have any immediate answers. We're doing the first by default, badly, and satisfying no one.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

rcs1000 said:

Sandpit said:

We would however have a better democracy if fewer votes were wasted, and if there were fewer places where voting is effectively pointless.
    In a democracy, there is no right to vote for a winner.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,965
    AndyJS said:

I make a small profit if they get in in Stoke.
  • Options

As the Netherlands is about to demonstrated admirably. Its likely PVV will get the highest share of the vote, and likely that a coalition of the losers will keep them from any sort of power.
    FPTP is truly the finest voting system known to man :smiley:
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    fitalass said:

fitalass said:

DavidL said:

The thing is, that if the Met doint warn, then they get criticised, its a no win situation for the met post Nov ?1987.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,100
    AndyJS said:

Peter Mandelson?
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453

everyone can't be exceptional.

You mean not everyone can be exceptional?
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    Labour's problem is that efforts to win back working class Leave voters lost to the Tories and UKIP may see them lose middle class Remain voters to the LDs
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,325

IanB2 said:

rcs1000 said:

Sandpit said:

In a democracy, there is no right to vote for a winner.
    I understood your post; you clearly didn't understand mine.
  • Options
    TwistedFireStopperTwistedFireStopper Posts: 2,538
    edited February 2017

tlg86 said:

Sandpit said:

Should we be subsidising people to live in remote isolation or should we be encouraging people to move to @Pulpstar's megacity? Or should we be doing something intermediate (and if so what)?

I don't have any immediate answers. We're doing the first by default, badly, and satisfying no one.
    I guess the real problem is that people don't get a say in where they are born, and to all intents and purposes the majority don't really have a substantial say in where they live. Unless you're well off, or have a well paying career, you live where you can afford, where your family and support network is and where the work is. Obviously, you can take a risk and head off to that there London to make your fortune, but most don't.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,883
    Morning all :)

Vaguely on topic, "there will always be the proles" as someone said in 1984. Some of the language used by those talking about the "disaffected working class" reminds me of the language of 1984 used by the Outer Party members looking at the rest of Oceania.

I've argued since 23/6/16 the decision to LEAVE the EU was the start of an opportunity to have the substantive debate about the kind of country, society, economy and people we want to be in the 2020s and beyond. Understandably, given the content and tone of the Referendum debate itself, it's now the case most people would rather do almost anything else than think about the big national questions but they haven't gone away and A50 will throw them again into sharp focus.

Immigration is where all these questions meet - the economic requirement for a growing labour force has collided with the cultural and societal consequences. There are people who frankly don't want to live with people of different skin colours and creeds who in their eyes make no effort to integrate. There are others who fear the large-scale influx of economic migrants has turned their neighbourhood into a Little Warsaw or a Little Bucharest.

A more relevant concern could be the impact on existing infrastructure, whether it be schools, transport, housing or health care of tens, if not hundreds of thousands of people arriving in a short period of time which meant there was no planning to improve and extend that infrastructure. Building new schools, improving transport, providing extra homes and GP surgeries are all possible, indeed desirable, but can't happen overnight.

That sense of Governmental and planning failure has accentuated alienation among the indigenous population, many of whom might themselves have been migrants. "How 'Bout Us ?" (note the 1980s pop reference for TSE) might be their battle cry. Parties who recognise the symptoms but have no plausible remedy are attracting support while those trying to offer a more tolerant line are ignored and ridiculed.

Yet it's not just about immigration - it's deeper than that. It's almost as though belief in the capitalist ideal of prosperity and improvement through hard work has been damaged perhaps by the events of 2008 as much as by anything else. The sense many have of running hard to simply stand still is debilitating and worse when there seems no prospect of improvement. The political and economic crises are interlinked but as for a solution - I've none to offer.
  • Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503
    edited February 2017

Most Copeland voters don't want to face hard truths. It's the Jurrassc Park of Brexit. Whisper it but large sections of the population actually don't want change at all. They are furious a historically fleeting post war settlement they think is normative is gone and want it back as a birthright. But creating a dynamic mixed 21st Century economy to sustain their community ? Too much effort.

Broadly if you have decades of appalling local government ( persistently re-elected ) , are satisfied with an economic monoculture and appalling NIMBYISM then Copeland is what you get.

The legacy of social capital from heavy industry then Labour's big social spending kept the show on the road. Now both have stopped the roof has fallen in.

The fact the one big new piece of information of this campaign, that Moorside is now under threat and what the government could do about it, hasn't been the define issue is deeply telling.

We can't reap what we don't sow.

Anyway polls have opened so I'm off to vote !

Good morning all. How I love this post!

I live in the Wye Valley AONB. I moved here of my own free will, gave up a successful commercial career (modulo I'm in exalted company here, many of you could buy and sell me manifold) to be with the woman I loved.

I accept that I pay a price for that decision. Culturally it's quite poor. The Internet is worse. My travel costs are far higher. Services aren't great. I could go on.

However, on what basis might I expect to have the equivalent services, infrastructure and job opportunities of one of the large conurbations? Country mice have to accept that sacrifices have to be made.

I could easily imagine a future where areas of the country are re-wilded and the overwhelming bulk of the populace are urbanites.
  • Options
    edited February 2017

Globalisation has just started. Their days are numbered as well. I know people here sneer at the rote learning chinese style education system, and how its no use for creativity, but its more than fine for 90% of jobs, which will migrate to where they can be done better and cheaper. The remaining jobs which don't migrate will be for exceptional people, and everyone can't be exceptional.

That will inevitably make populist politics the norm whether of left or right and also make a strong case for a universal basic income. Even in Germany most jobs are not in. manufacturing now and those that are tend to be hi tech
  • Options
  • Options
    An excellent podcast. Really enjoyed both parts

Off topic.

So is this a looming a constitutional crisis or social conservatism rearing its head?

Prince Charles wants a Queen Camilla. He’s still wrong. Here’s why

The campaign has been waged with skill and discretion, but its success would be a reward for adultery

http://www.spectator.co.uk/2017/02/prince-charles-wants-a-queen-camilla-hes-still-wrong-heres-why/
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,889
    edited February 2017

Sandpit said:

Well, the latter enjoy despising the former in turn. Everyone's happy.
  • Options

tlg86 said:

We have a megacity - London - and I can only afford to work there because my parents happen to live in Woking. The flip side to your question is, do people have the right to live in London if they themselves can't pay the rent?

But, yes, your question is one that we've been asking for a long time. I think we go through fits and starts as to whether we actually want to address the issue. I'm currently reading a book on Beeching and it's very much of the view that the cuts had to be made. Some of the statistics were remarkable. For example, 36% of the route miles operated by BR carried just 1% of passengers and 42% carried 3% of freight ton miles.

Of course, while people got very upset about Beeching, they'd actually voted for it themselves by buying cars. BR had to ensure that there were sufficient buses etc. before a line could be closed.

The issue with the hospital in Copeland is that the alternative is not particularly appealing. I say this as a single man who doesn't know much about the issue, but would I wonder if we could set up a system whereby expectant mothers can move into a house in the Carlisle area in the weeks leading up to their due date? I don't know what the numbers are, or how much it would cost, but maybe we need some people to think outside the box.

It just feels wrong to basically say, "if you don't like the level of service provided in Copeland, move somewhere else."
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,947

It is, but if Copeland, which is far from alone in this, has been failed by the big two, what consequence will there be next time? None.

@RobD Yes it can if the ECJ plays ball. A50 refers to a member state's " constitutional requirements ". So if the UK Supreme Court rules that something is or isn't a valid withdrawal and the UK Supreme Court has ruled that Parliament is Soveriegn.....

The legal potentialities are rather fascinating with all scenarios, but it is hard to envisage a political scenario where they might be used. For our elite and the eu the rubicon has been crossed. Theoretically we could all roll back from this, ways could be found to enable that, but for the public to shift so dramatically in view to lead to a parliamentary reversal and for the eu to play ball, well, it's hard to imagine, particularly given the general stubbornness of people not wanting to admit they were wrong.
  • Options
    edited February 2017

Off topic.

So is this a looming a constitutional crisis or social conservatism rearing its head?

The campaign has been waged with skill and discretion, but its success would be a reward for adultery

http://www.spectator.co.uk/2017/02/prince-charles-wants-a-queen-camilla-hes-still-wrong-heres-why/

Wouldn't she be formally styled Queen when he inherits? Henry VIII wives come to mind, the ones after those divorced were till Queen.

Edit: ah, annulled, so not the same. The question still stands though.
  • Options
    YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172
    edited February 2017

tlg86 said:

Sandpit said:

Don't most of the metropolitan elite have, errr, multiple homes .... in both the city and in the country?

Sure, they have the flat in London, where this high-paid "work" is done, but then they also have the cottage in the country, or even countries.

In fact, one of the reasons why the country has to be subsidised is the empty homes for most of the year.

This will be a problem that affects rural Copeland where it becomes the Western Lakes.

• Options
    AndyJS said:

Yes, but at 30/1 from last week.

The current 8s and 10s seem about right, but with a very low turnout and rubbish weather on the day anything's possible
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,889

Off topic.

We must just pray the Queen outlives him.
This discussion has been closed.