Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The return of Butskellism

Comments

• Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,886

Patrick said:

Patrick said:

Talk is very different to action.

The conundrum that May faces is that in seeking a hard Brexit, she could well end up making it much harder to escape the austerity-focused policies pursued by the previous government of which she was an integral part.

She will be judged on delivery: more and less expensive housing, continued full employment combined with higher wages growth, low inflation, decent public services (including a fit-for-purpose NHS) and less immigration. People will not vote based on figures but on their daily reality and perception.

As we saw from the poll yesterday, most people do not feel adversely affected by immigration at a personal level, even though they do feel it is too high. Mrs May faces a very fine balancing act. Jeremy Corbyn will not be the leader of the Labour party forever.

Take Copeland. What do the Tories offer the JAMs there? .
    Err...more money:
    https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/2244165/autumn-statement-2016-cash-back-for-three-million-workers-as-chancellor-reverses-cuts-to-benefits/

It's a reverse of something that hadn't happened. No-one will notice. But it does make Alastair's point about the May government being less dry than the previous one, doesn't it?
    I think it's more interesting. One of the great problems JAMs face is that as they start to work more they lose benefits too rapidly and the marginal tax on the extra pounds earned is therefore very steep. Hammond overtly recognised this in the Autumn statement and set (with the 63% taper rate - down from 65%) not only an expectation of travel but made a political point: Work will pay.
    But - yes - pushing hard(er) on austerity and on Brexit simultaneously would be brave (in the Sir Humphrey sense). Brexit trumps surplus and the surplus must wait a bit. If in some parallel universe we still have Dave and George running Brexit for us George would be doing precisely the same thing.

May's problem is JAM is self-defining. People on £70K have been known to describe themselves as such.
    I thought all MPs and GPs were Just About Managing by definition?
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,091

isam said:

Charles said:

Patrick said:

TOPPING said:

Charles said:

TOPPING said:

Charles said:

I see that pb's Tories are divided between those who are furious at the suggestion that the present government is less than dry, those who are furious at the suggestion that the last government was ever dry and those who are just furious.

Meanwhile, my main point that the government has pivoted from differentiating itself on the economy to differentiating itself on social conservatism goes largely unanswered.

Because it's not interesting?
    It is at the very centre of informed political debate today.
    Disagree. Others have put it better than me, but Hammond is progressing on a similar line (whether or not he accepts Osborne's precise forecasts misses the point). There has been a change in emphasis - Corbyn's Labour is not seen as competitive on economics, so May has the space to try and win back former Kippers (although largely through rhetoric).

I don't think it's interesting, because it's obvious. You can debate whether it is the right strategy or not, but that's not what Alastair was doing. He was just describing the landscape.
    ...the fact that the Tories will be perceived to have relinquished their economic advantage mantle will be damaging,
    You assume Hammond will fail therefore. If, as intended, we get to a surplus more slowly we will at least see debt as a % GDP falling. And the JAMs will gain at the expense of not-JAMs or on the back of growth. I don't think the Tories are significantly at risk of shit polling on economic competence. They are, however, majorly and complacently at risk of shit polling on health / social care.
    The Tories' problem is that health/social care needs fundamental reform. It's not just about "more money": it needs to be a carefully thought through restructuring of how we deliver healthcare.

But Labour will never cooperate with that because it's too good a stick to beat the Tories with. And the Tories aren't bold enough to touch the third rail of British politics. So we just muddle through and the situation steadily get's less and less fit for purpose.
    Our parents sacrificed 10 years at the start of our lives for us, I think it's reasonable to expect us to do the same for them at the end of theirs. It's a shame on us as a society that we rely on the state to do it
    Parents choose to have children. Children don't choose to have parents.
    Blimey! Well each to their own
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,036

Patrick said:

Charles said:

Patrick said:

But - yes - pushing hard(er) on austerity and on Brexit simultaneously would be brave (in the Sir Humphrey sense). Brexit trumps surplus and the surplus must wait a bit. If in some parallel universe we still have Dave and George running Brexit for us George would be doing precisely the same thing.

DfID's budget is £11.8bn this year, growing to £12.6bn in 17/18 and £13.6bn in 18/19

I wouldn't be surprised to see that flat lined and/or trimmed in the budget.
    It's an outrage. And ripe for raiding.
    And everyone who disagrees should betaken out ns shot :o

Democracy, tolerance, respect for others - we only got into this mess by practising these "virtues".

All 16m who voted Labour in 2015 should be exterminated!!!

I didn't vote Labour myself, but I think that is perhaps going a touch too far.
  • Options

isam said:

Charles said:

Patrick said:

TOPPING said:

Charles said:

TOPPING said:

Charles said:

I see that pb's Tories are divided between those who are furious at the suggestion that the present government is less than dry, those who are furious at the suggestion that the last government was ever dry and those who are just furious.

Meanwhile, my main point that the government has pivoted from differentiating itself on the economy to differentiating itself on social conservatism goes largely unanswered.

Disagree. Others have put it better than me, but Hammond is progressing on a similar line (whether or not he accepts Osborne's precise forecasts misses the point). There has been a change in emphasis - Corbyn's Labour is not seen as competitive on economics, so May has the space to try and win back former Kippers (although largely through rhetoric).

I don't think it's interesting, because it's obvious. You can debate whether it is the right strategy or not, but that's not what Alastair was doing. He was just describing the landscape.
    ...the fact that the Tories will be perceived to have relinquished their economic advantage mantle will be damaging,
    You assume Hammond will fail therefore. If, as intended, we get to a surplus more slowly we will at least see debt as a % GDP falling. And the JAMs will gain at the expense of not-JAMs or on the back of growth. I don't think the Tories are significantly at risk of shit polling on economic competence. They are, however, majorly and complacently at risk of shit polling on health / social care.
    The Tories' problem is that health/social care needs fundamental reform. It's not just about "more money": it needs to be a carefully thought through restructuring of how we deliver healthcare.

But Labour will never cooperate with that because it's too good a stick to beat the Tories with. And the Tories aren't bold enough to touch the third rail of British politics. So we just muddle through and the situation steadily get's less and less fit for purpose.
    Our parents sacrificed 10 years at the start of our lives for us, I think it's reasonable to expect us to do the same for them at the end of theirs. It's a shame on us as a society that we rely on the state to do it
    More leftie nonsense. You could try obeying your betters. It would make a change.

• Options
    not_on_firenot_on_fire Posts: 4,342

isam said:

Charles said:

Patrick said:

TOPPING said:

Charles said:

TOPPING said:

Charles said:

More leftie nonsense. You could try obeying your betters. It would make a change.

You're good at trolling. I'll give you that.
  • Options
    PlatoSaidPlatoSaid Posts: 10,383
    John_M said:

Good morning all. Having read the thread, all I can offer is this:

I could really go for a bacon sandwich right now. Sometimes I need PB to remind me of the important things in life.

I find cat videos key here.
  • Options
    Blair doing a Trump and accussing the media of bias for Brexit
  • Options
    Blair says there's a cartel of media on the right. Not sure he watches much television.
  • Options
    edited February 2017

Blair says there's a cartel of media on the right. Not sure he watches much television.

If TV media is so biased, why are they not regularly prosecuted for not fulfilling their statutory obligation for impartiality?

Far too many on both the left and right associate pointing out awkward truths as bias.
  • Options
    https://twitter.com/paulwaugh/status/832530069000159232

Will others pick up on the bat signal?
  • Options
    isam said:

Re ed and the bacon sandwich photo. It stuck because it summed him up peoples opinions of him, not the other way around. Geeky, a bit weird and so useless he couldn't even eat a bacon sandwich. Obviously he then out did it with the ed stone.

It's like that Boris and goldsmith photo...people think yeah Boris probably goes down the boozer and is quite a laugh where as that other bloke definitely never does.

May and the weird face with kids. People want to be a bit careful as we found out how attacking may re kids was a big mistake for leadsom.

Plus she has a tic!
    I think you are mistaken - she certainly didn't at University and I've never seen it at PMQs
  • Options
    Alex Wickham
    Blair's great idea: Leave voters will change their minds if Brexit is explained "in easy to understand ways"
  • Options
    Mr. Fire, I'd argue claims a 0.1% rise in inflation is a spike to be blamed on our EU vote is a clear example of bias. But there we are.
  • Options

Blair doing his best to wreck the UK, saying the case for Scottish independence is now much more credible...

I look forward to the SNP using "Scottish Independence - endorsed by Tony Blair@
  • Options
    Blair believes negotiation should include the potential for remaining in a reformed EU (not 'Europe', Blair, they're not synonyms).
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

Alex Wickham
    Blair's great idea: Leave voters will change their minds if Brexit is explained "in easy to understand ways"

Trans. "They're thick"
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,193

Patrick said:

Charles said:

Patrick said:

DfID's budget is £11.8bn this year, growing to £12.6bn in 17/18 and £13.6bn in 18/19

Democracy, tolerance, respect for others - we only got into this mess by practising these "virtues".

It's quite a theme you keep coming back to.

There's no need to build the ovens. Labour is doing away with itself, no outside help needed....
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548

isam said:

Re ed and the bacon sandwich photo. It stuck because it summed him up peoples opinions of him, not the other way around. Geeky, a bit weird and so useless he couldn't even eat a bacon sandwich. Obviously he then out did it with the ed stone.

It's like that Boris and goldsmith photo...people think yeah Boris probably goes down the boozer and is quite a laugh where as that other bloke definitely never does.

May and the weird face with kids. People want to be a bit careful as we found out how attacking may re kids was a big mistake for leadsom.

Plus she has a tic!
    I think you are mistaken - she certainly didn't at University and I've never seen it at PMQs
    Guache, stiff, and stooped I agree -but no tic.
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

Alex Wickham

Leave won because their lies were simpler to explain than Remain's
  • Options

Bugger! Blair was supposed to remain under cover! #Tories4Corbyn
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,950
    PlatoSaid said:

Alex Wickham

If you don't vote the "correct way" we'll bomb the living cr*p out of you! :smiley:
  • Options
    Retweeted Jon Lovett (@jonlovett):

For those keeping score:
    Leaks: REAL
    News: FAKE
    Good polls: REAL
    Bad polls: FAKE
    Wikileaks: REAL
    Things I say: DUNNO, SOMEONE TOLD ME
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548

PlatoSaid said:

Alex Wickham

Trans. "They're thick"
    True, but even thick people get to vote.
  • Options
    rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,928

Blair is hardly inspiring in this speech and with the anger he generates it is likely that he will do more harm to the remain cause than enhance it

I find it amazing that someone who was so good at winning elections.... Has now become so out of touch. Out of touch with the public... And also with Labour members...
  • Options
    Well, at least the Opposition has a leader now.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,193
    PlatoSaid said:

Alex Wickham

If only he'd had this brainwave 9 months ago....

Tw@.
  • Options
    He's going to be the toast of the cybernats too:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-39002351
  • Options

isam said:

Plus she has a tic!
    She certainly pulls a strange face repeatedly a bit like Gordon Brown used to. She did it at her first PMQs as she cracked a joke. Maybe it is nerves.

Either way, seizing on awkward photos is ridiculously childish, I guess the lefties are just making two wrongs a right after Ed and the sandwich.
  • Options
    Mr. Meeks, precisely. Blair's cretinous idiocy has given a lovely quote for the SNP to plaster across their literature if there's a second vote (north of the border).
  • Options

If TV media is so biased, why are they not regularly prosecuted for not fulfilling their statutory obligation for impartiality?

Far too many on both the left and right associate pointing out awkward truths as bias.

Yep - bias = reporting news in ways I do not like. As you say, it's something that both the left and right accuse the broadcast media of.

• Options

Mr. Meeks, precisely. Blair's cretinous idiocy has given a lovely quote for the SNP to plaster across their literature if there's a second vote (north of the border).

It's no more than the truth though.
  • Options

A new party of centrists (Blairites, Cameroons, Orange bookers) has been the obvious move for about 3 years
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,546

Blair is hardly inspiring in this speech and with the anger he generates it is likely that he will do more harm to the remain cause than enhance it

There is no remain cause.

There might be a rejoin one.
  • Options
    Mr. Meeks, disagree entirely on that. If leaving the single market with the EU is bad for Scotland, then leaving the one with England, Wales and Northern Ireland would be quadruple bad.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,027
    TOPPING said:

I can see that going down well, what with Schengen and the Euro!
  • Options

That was the idea. He's unhinged (don't think it's Brexit actually, I think he's probably been unhinged for years) and would like to see the country completely destroyed to prove that he was right about remaining in the EU.

Would like to be a fly on the way next time he meets HMQ.
  • Options

He's going to be the toast of the cybernats too:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-39002351

I do hope they use it. As a Unionist....
  • Options

Mr. Meeks, disagree entirely on that. If leaving the single market with the EU is bad for Scotland, then leaving the one with England, Wales and Northern Ireland would be quadruple bad.

England can't expect an attempt to kidnap an already-restive Scotland out of the EU to be achieved without the victim struggling like mad to avoid its fate.
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981
    GIN1138 said:

That was the idea. He's unhinged (don't think it's Brexit actually, I think he's probably been unhinged for years) and would like to see the country completely destroyed to prove that he was right about remaining in the EU.

Would like to be a fly on the way next time he meets HMQ.
    It is his claim that he has a "mission" which has me flailing around for the sick bag. Like his mission to carpet-bomb hundreds of 1000s of brown civilians back into the stone age.
  • Options
    isam said:

A new party of centrists (Blairites, Cameroons, Orange bookers) has been the obvious move for about 3 years
    Politics about to realign back to the old Liberal/Tory divide of the 19th century?
  • Options

Yep - bias = reporting news in ways I do not like. As you say, it's something that both the left and right accuse the broadcast media of.

And if both the left and right are complaining, that suggests that actually the news is being fairly reported.
  • Options

Patrick said:

Charles said:

Patrick said:

Or everyone who disagrees can pay for it themselves? If there are enough it won't be very much each after all.

I'm not actually opposed to the general idea of DfID, but, as Charles says up thread, the fixation on the percentage of GDP rather than the outcomes desired must encourage huge waste. How many here have been in a department where you have money in a budget that must be spent by the end of the financial year or it is lost? How carefully considered were the spending decisions made?
  • Options
    RobD said:

TOPPING said:

I can see that going down well, what with Schengen and the Euro!
    My view is that we definitely shouldn't rejoin as the cards we would hold in any negotiation would be minimal and all out on the table anyway.

Depends on the EU, though - if they say: OK we'll go back to Dave's deal and the status quo ante (ie no Schengen and Euro) then I can see it appealing to a group of voters.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited February 2017
    An interesting article by Alastair, but I think it's completely wrong.

Firstly, the Cameron government wasn't 'economically dry as dust'. Osborne managed the transition from the profligacy he inherited - let's never forget, Darling's spending was an eye-watering 33% more than income - towards a more sane balance very sensitively. Some people criticise him for getting spending under control far too slowly; certainly he gave a high priority to avoiding big rises in unemployment.

Secondly, I don't really see the sharp distinction between the May/Hammond government and the Cameron/Osborne one. Of course, the economic realities of Brexit mean that deficit reduction is having to be postponed yet again, but Hammond is simply maintaining Osborne's very successful approach of gently improving the public finances without scaring the horses. Nor do I see any big distinction on social issues; both May and Cameron are firmly in the one-nation Tory tradition, even though the personal styles of the two PMs are quite different.

Of course, over-arching all of this is Brexit. That will dominate Theresa May's premiership, whether she likes it or not. Minor differences in style or emphasis between her and her predecessor are a side-show.

Edit: Also, on immigration, what's the difference between Cameron and May? Both want to reduce net immigration substantially, which, given the humoungous numbers we've seen in recent years, is sensible emough. The only difference is that Brexit makes it a bit easier.
  • Options
    Sir Anthony Seldon:

"Why is Tony Blair so unpopular"

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-33849764
  • Options
    Mr. Meeks, did Labour kidnap the south of England during its 13 years in power?

In a democracy, not everybody wins.

Did No kidnap Yes voters in Scotland?

The Scots recently voted to remain part of the UK. The UK recently voted to leave the EU. We could call these things democracy.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,226
    Patrick said:

TOPPING said:

Charles said:

TOPPING said:

Charles said:

How much surplus will we need to get rid of a chunk of the trillions we owe. Will be like farting against a hurricane.
  • Options
    midwintermidwinter Posts: 1,112
    isam said:

Indeed. An economically right wing and reasonably liberal social party would fill an enormous hole in the political landscape. Be wise to keep Tony out of sight though...
  • Options

Blair looks nervous and a bit weird

No change then
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    edited February 2017
    PlatoSaid said:

Alex Wickham

Surely that is how democracy is supposed to work. Politicians attempt to convince voters that policy A is better than policy B based on these facts, forecasts and assumptions. Blair is not saying ignore the people but rather to campaign and persuade the electorate.

That Blair himself may be too tainted to get a hearing, or that facts have become unfashionable in this age of Trump, are separate matters.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,027
    malcolmg said:

Patrick said:

TOPPING said:

Charles said:

TOPPING said:

Charles said:

How much surplus will we need to get rid of a chunk of the trillions we owe. Will be like farting against a hurricane.
    Paid off far more, relatively speaking, after the war.
  • Options

Sir Anthony Seldon:

"Why is Tony Blair so unpopular"

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-33849764

QTWTAI bleeding obvious.
  • Options

PlatoSaid said:

I'm not sure LBC expected this sort of response

LBC
    Donald Trump launches an unprecedented attack on the media but who's telling the truth? #TrumpPresser #CliveonLBC

The President 71%
    The media 12%
    Neither 17%

31,114 votes

So there's a load of LBC listeners who don't believe in a free press either.
    Does anyone believe the press are not a bunch of lying establishment toss***, free my butt.
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    If Blair is regains power, the Middle Eastern countries he ruined should bomb us until there is a regime change!
  • Options
    RobD said:

malcolmg said:

Patrick said:

TOPPING said:

Charles said:

TOPPING said:

Charles said:

Paid off far more, relatively speaking, after the war.
    Rob, I will believe it when I see it happening, and I doubt I will be here for that. Pigs are likely to fly first.
  • Options
    There is no UK politician that brings vomit to my mouth quicker than Tony Blair. At least Brown had the good grace to become an irrelevance after his premiership.

• Options
    edited February 2017
    malcolmg said:

PlatoSaid said:

LBC
    Donald Trump launches an unprecedented attack on the media but who's telling the truth? #TrumpPresser #CliveonLBC

The President 71%
    The media 12%
    Neither 17%

31,114 votes

Does anyone believe the press are not a bunch of lying establishment toss***, free my butt.
    Morning Malc. :)

Did you enjoy Donald's "presser" yesterday? :smiley:
  • Options
    Press - When were you on a doorstep asking voters what they think
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    edited February 2017
    When Tony Blair seeks to intervene, I can’t help thinking he’s found a way to profit from it.
  • Options
    Someone asked earlier how our EU colleagues did on meeting the 0.7% foreign aid target, given all the big EU NATO member miss their defence target.

You get one guess.

Spain: 0.14
    Italy:0.16
    France: 0.36
    Germany: 0.41
    UK: 0.71

http://www.oecd.org/dac/stats/documentupload/ODA 2014 Tables and Charts.pdf
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,336
    edited February 2017
    Blair's routine that fooled so many people looks very old and tired these days. Bit like watching those remakes of those classic bbc comedies.

• Options
    For those that want to read it, rather than complain about Tony Blair, here's the full text of his speech:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/140ztvaHeLH7-v3C5pbhvzasYWd5VuQhzH4tHxyIkL0w/edit

Unlike Nick Clegg I don't agree with all of it (some bits I strongly disagree with) but it is unusually well put-together and argued.
  • Options

"new ways of communication"

hmmm

"Mr Speaker, let me ask my first question to the PM through the medium of interpretative dance"
  • Options

For those that want to read it, rather than complain about Tony Blair, here's the full text of his speech:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/140ztvaHeLH7-v3C5pbhvzasYWd5VuQhzH4tHxyIkL0w/edit

Unlike Nick Clegg I don't agree with all of it (some bits I strongly disagree with) but it is unusually well put-together and argued.

He has some good ideas, but he's so terribly tainted as a politician that I think he'd be better off giving that speech say to Clegg to read out.
  • Options
    Mr. Meeks, people get to dislike Blair. I'm unsure why you're complaining about people complaining about Blair.

On the speech, I listened to much of it. One thing that struck me was the rarity (total absence?) of 'the EU' in favour of his preferred 'Europe'.

The part on Scottish independence was nothing less than an attempt to wreck the UK if it doesn't turn the way he wants it to. Giving campaigning lines to a party that seeks to end the UK is not an act worthy of a former PM.
  • Options
    tysontyson Posts: 6,052
    @Isam......

How far will you go for your parents? Cleaning their arses perhaps because that is the expectation in Italy. We are lucky...we can pay for care for our elders but many Italians cannot. That said, the daily pressure of elderly parents is suffocating and stifling. A thankless task because you can never do enough. The elderly generation is crushing Italy with their exponentially rising needs as they live longer, and probably other countries like Japan too.

The last thing we want to do is to inflict that kind of misery on middle aged families in the UK. The statement the other day by that minister to shift responsibility onto families was ridiculous...

I personally think medical advances to keep immobile human beings alive at all costs is grotesque in the extreme. It starts with premature babies, it continues with people who are injured or suffer from serious illness, and it finishes with keeping old people alive through a sack of drugs. But in the western world we are increasingly growing the numbers of very unwell people. It's not the resources they take up that bothers me, it is the unrelenting, remorseless suffering and guilt that it places on families.
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

John_M said:

I could really go for a bacon sandwich right now. Sometimes I need PB to remind me of the important things in life.

Or failing that Panda videos can be rather fun
  • Options

And if both the left and right are complaining, that suggests that actually the news is being fairly reported.
    There is something that does irritate me about news reports from all sides which shows (probably) unconscious bias: if some one 'admits' somthing rather than 'says', 'claims' rather than 'reveals', then the reporter has already put their own spin on the news.
  • Options
    Mr. Tyson, I have sympathy with that view. I do think we'll revisit it as a nation, but the problem is that resources is a factor, which will lead some/many to feel that any move to euthanasia or suchlike will be driven not by compassion but by the bottom line.
  • Options

So Blair can make a decent speech and put together an argument.

Most people agreed his speech to Parliament that got us into the Iraq war so was masterpiece... And look how that turned out...
  • Options

There is something that does irritate me about news reports from all sides which shows (probably) unconscious bias: if some one 'admits' somthing rather than 'says', 'claims' rather than 'reveals', then the reporter has already put their own spin on the news.
    'understands' is another beauty.
  • Options

It's an extremely well-argued piece. Unfortunately it's too late: he's restating the argument which lost on the 23rd June 2016.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

malcolmg said:

PlatoSaid said:

LBC

The President 71%
    The media 12%
    Neither 17%

31,114 votes

ICYMI

The bit with questions :lol:

FFW about 20mins

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ct0H_ndjavM
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,942
    edited February 2017
    OT. For all who missed it last nights thread is well worth a look. A 'Chance The Gardener' moment where PB's finest were attempting to interpret the genius of President Trump.

I've not read anything like it since Gore Vidal's 'Messiah'
  • Options

It's an extremely well-argued piece. Unfortunately it's too late: he's restating the argument which lost on the 23rd June 2016.
    Yes
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

I get annoyed at the BBC editorialising. "Government humiliated in House of Commons vote". Surely if you are supposed to be neutral, you keep the headline as neutral as possible "Government loses House of Commons vote".
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

GIN1138 said:

malcolmg said:

PlatoSaid said:

LBC

The President 71%
    The media 12%
    Neither 17%

31,114 votes

ICYMI

The bit with questions :lol:

FFW about 20mins

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ct0H_ndjavM
    I watched it last night....

#nowords
  • Options

Mr. Tyson, I have sympathy with that view. I do think we'll revisit it as a nation, but the problem is that resources is a factor, which will lead some/many to feel that any move to euthanasia or suchlike will be driven not by compassion but by the bottom line.

You couldn't make up Italy....the stigma of putting someone in a care home is bad enough. Many oldies are cared for at home by their daughters who live around the corner who clean them and change them.

At my father in laws care home some family members come for hours each day and sit with their parents...these are old people themselves who can no longer care for their parents at home. We pay for someone 5 hours a day to go and see him for two sessions...if he misses one time he goes bonkers and says that he's been deserted..... as well as the care costs. We pay for three hours a day for her mum who mercifully is well. Because of Brexit we have to come back to the UK but the guilt is crippling my wife, and all our Italian friends think we are cruel....

And then you have Isam who preaches that we do not do enough. Well what is enough?
  • Options

Well quite, that ship has passed and irrespective of the speech itself, is Blair really the best person to deliver it? – ‘The British people must resist the government because they were misled by false claims’ says Tony Blair without a twinge of irony…
  • Options
    This is why Blair needs to accept he is best off leaving the public stage forever. There is nothing he can ever say that will not be dismissed because of Iraq. No cause of any kind that he believes in will be served by him expressing support for it. In fact, it will always be damaged. As someone who has never hated him, thinks that the Third Way is essentially the only way forward for social democracy and can understand why he did what he did over Iraq, I regret that - but them's the facts.

• Options

Well put together and I find very little I disagree with. A good leader for the educated 48%.
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,960
    Blair? LOL
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,222

When I was at the ONS my Grade 6 banned me from writing things like "just 6%". Even though the word "just" (or "only", another banned word) wasn't passing judgment on the meaning of the statistic - it was more about using language to signal to the reader that this is a small number - she felt that we had to be really careful not to imply that the figure should be higher.
  • Options
    tyson said:

@Isam......

How far will you go for your parents? Cleaning their arses perhaps because that is the expectation in Italy. We are lucky...we can pay for care for our elders but many Italians cannot. That said, the daily pressure of elderly parents is suffocating and stifling. A thankless task because you can never do enough. The elderly generation is crushing Italy with their exponentially rising needs as they live longer, and probably other countries like Japan too.

The last thing we want to do is to inflict that kind of misery on middle aged families in the UK. The statement the other day by that minister to shift responsibility onto families was ridiculous...

I personally think medical advances to keep immobile human beings alive at all costs is grotesque in the extreme. It starts with premature babies, it continues with people who are injured or suffer from serious illness, and it finishes with keeping old people alive through a sack of drugs. But in the western world we are increasingly growing the numbers of very unwell people. It's not the resources they take up that bothers me, it is the unrelenting, remorseless suffering and guilt that it places on families.

Well it depends what you think life is about. I think you can say the same about children as you are about parents. Yes it is stifling I am sure, but I am sure they were stifled by dealing with us as children. I suppose Darwinians would argue we could just let them die, but I wouldn't agree that is correct.

You have a point about keeping them alive through a sackful of drugs though. You could say that if they cant live a life without being tied to a machine in a hospital they would be better off dead, but I was more talking about dementia/alzheimers suffererers
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    Roger said:

OT. For all who missed it last nights thread is well worth a look. A 'Chance The Gardener' moment where PB's finest were attempting to interpret the genius of President Trump.

Great movie Roger...it's one that I treat myself to from time to time. Chancey Gardner was a simple man unlike Trump who is utterly complex.

After watching snippets of the press conference last night, I felt some glimmer of hope you know. I think Trump's psychotic, narcissistic thirst for recognition and adulation, combined with the fact that he is a rampant opportunist might push him ultimately into doing the right thing.

There is a great scene in Schindlers list where Schindler convinces the Nazi commandant that it is better to spare Jews, if only for a time. That is what needs to happen to Trump.
  • Options
    tyson said:

You couldn't make up Italy....the stigma of putting someone in a care home is bad enough. Many oldies are cared for at home by their daughters who live around the corner who clean them and change them.

At my father in laws care home some family members come for hours each day and sit with their parents...these are old people themselves who can no longer care for their parents at home. We pay for someone 5 hours a day to go and see him for two sessions...if he misses one time he goes bonkers and says that he's been deserted..... as well as the care costs. We pay for three hours a day for her mum who mercifully is well. Because of Brexit we have to come back to the UK but the guilt is crippling my wife, and all our Italian friends think we are cruel....

And then you have Isam who preaches that we do not do enough. Well what is enough?
    Most people do not do what you do though. You're a bit of an idiot if you take what I said about society in general as a dig at you
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    PlatoSaid said:

LBC

The President 71%
    The media 12%
    Neither 17%

31,114 votes

The LBC listeners are all extreme right wing fanatics.
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    Why can't the Tories replicate their opinion poll ratings in the local by-elections, one after the other, up and down the country.
  • Options
    weejonnieweejonnie Posts: 3,820
    Pulpstar said:

And many reports of 'right-wing' organisations use the word 'hails' for some unknown reason.
  • Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,873
    On-topic, the government's change of line seems at this stage to be more mood music than reality. The word austerity may be gone, but there is still the deficit to be brought down, and the Treasury quite happy to use Brexit risk as a bogeyman. Likewise, on social conservatism, immigration cuts are promised in the future from Brexit, and grammar schools were offered as a token, but is there really any major reversal in social policy underway and exercising the contributers on here. I've not seen too much evidence yet.

Pulling a few cords and a bit of rhetoric in a certain direction, things having changed massively since the 1970s, does not a full return to Butskellism make as far as I can see.
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    tyson said:

Roger said:

Great movie Roger...it's one that I treat myself to from time to time. Chancey Gardner was a simple man.

After watching snippets of the press conference last night, I felt some glimmer of hope you know. I think Trump's psychotic, narcissistic thirst for recognition and adulation, combined with the fact that he is a rampant opportunist might push him ultimately into doing the right thing.
    Until the last line I thought you were being serious!

One of my favourite films too and prophetic
  • Options
  • Options

Eight :) ?
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    surbiton said:

Why can't the Tories replicate their opinion poll ratings in the local by-elections, one after the other, up and down the country.

Because opinion polls are based on who people want to govern the country for five years and local elections are... Well... Local elections?
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,222
    surbiton said:

Because the opinion polls ask the question "If there was a general election tomorrow, how would you vote?"

They don't ask, if your local councillor has snuffed it/been on the take/done a runner, how would you vote in a local by election?
  • Options

PlatoSaid said:

John_M said:

Or failing that Panda videos can be rather fun
    :love:
  • Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,352
    Mr Surbiton,

"The LBC listeners are all extreme right wing fanatics."

Are you from Yorkshire? "They're all queer 'cept for me and thee. And I'm not so sure about thee."
  • Options
    Pro_Rata said:

On-topic, the government's change of line seems at this stage to be more mood music than reality. The word austerity may be gone, but there is still the deficit to be brought down, and the Treasury quite happy to use Brexit risk as a bogeyman. Likewise, on social conservatism, immigration cuts are promised in the future from Brexit, and grammar schools were offered as a token, but is there really any major reversal in social policy underway and exercising the contributers on here. I've not seen too much evidence yet.

Pulling a few cords and a bit of rhetoric in a certain direction, things having changed massively since the 1970s, does not a full return to Butskellism make as far as I can see.

Why is selection by ability regarded as more socially conservative than selection by ability to pay?
This discussion has been closed.