Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » No hard data, of course, on Stoke Central but two excellent pi

SystemSystem Posts: 11,689
edited February 2017 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » No hard data, of course, on Stoke Central but two excellent pieces of journalism

There’ve been two excellent pieces of journalism today on the Stoke Central by-election which both provide some insights and in broad terms are in the same area. The FT’s Sebastian Payne has the video report above and the excellent Stephen Bush in the New Statesman has stuck his neck out and is suggesting that LAB’s organisational strength will see it home.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,045
    edited February 2017
    Thirst.

Labour will win in Stoke.

Darned it, I've gone and cursed them. ;)
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,930
    0:09 - Buy to let paradise.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,933
    Snell in 2014 "We will have to look at why Labour voters are turning to Ukip."
    Snell post referendum "patriotism is a competition won by seeing who is the most inward looking”
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024
    Ukip know their voters this time. They will have a big bank of emails etc from the Leave.EU campaign they had a competition which was a data bank. I'm not sure if they are allowed to use this but ukip have a history of ignoring the rules.

Prediction: Labour loss.
  • Options
    Stoke's being talked of as a two horse race, but don't the Lib Dems stand a chance?
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,865
    Evening all :)

Stoke seems to be assuming a greater importance than Copeland. I have the sense that the Conservatives are concentrating on Copeland while the LDs work Stoke harder.

Is it possible Labour could lose both seats ? Maybe. Could they lose one ? Maybe. Could they hold both ? Maybe.

Will I go through the card at Fontwell tomorrow ? Probably not.
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098
    nunu said:

Ukip know their voters this time. They will have a big bank of emails etc from the Leave.EU campaign they had a competition which was a data bank. I'm not sure if they are allowed to use this but ukip have a history of ignoring the rules.

Brave, very brave. Two posts down from yours Mr. Jessup is predicting a Labour win.
  • Options
    EssexitEssexit Posts: 1,956

Stoke's being talked of as a two horse race, but don't the Lib Dems stand a chance?

Surely they'll have a bar chart for this.
  • Options

nunu said:

But UKIP are totally crap at the basics of elections which is why that NEVER in its history has it won a Westminster seat except with defector incumbents. There is nothing to suggest that they've changed.

Even if they have some data they need the expertise to utilise it. Also having a scouser as candidate is a negative.

• Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,288
    Snell lost to UKIP in 2014, would be funny if history repeated itself. I see that Sod off and go back to where you came from is still acceptable reply from Snell.

However, Master Farron will have to up his game if this video is anything to go by. Haul him in for media training.

https://twitter.com/lesbonner/status/831205117005283328
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,850
    My experience of Vote Leave is that the campaign was not at all well-organised on the ground, and that very little effort went into organising postal votes (of course, the situation may have been different elsewhere).
  • Options
    edited February 2017

nunu said:

But UKIP are totally crap at the basics of elections which is why that NEVER in its history has it won a Westminster seat except with defector incumbents. There is nothing to suggest that they've changed.

Even if they have some data they need the expertise to utilise it. Also having a scouser as candidate is a negative.

As a serious bettor, you should be aware that UKIP have never been this short a price to win a by election and not won it. It is quite absurd, as an informed gambler, to take the evidence of such a tiny sample (by elections since 2010) seriously ( I dont take the fact that they are 2/2 when odds on seriously) Apart from the ones won by defectors, UKIP should never have stood a chance in any of them, there haven't been any favourable conditions, until now.

I seem to remember you didn't fancy Carswell or Reckless either!
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,811
    Pah, I didn't wait for pesky things like evidence or journalism to call it for Labour, I went with my gut - it has a 50% success rate in the big contests the last few years,
  • Options
    ArtistArtist Posts: 1,882
    UKIP are starting from a much higher base than in Eastleigh or Heywood and Middleton. Having nearly a quarter of the vote already, compared to effectively starting from nothing is a big head start for UKIP.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

My experience of Vote Leave is that the campaign was not at all well-organised on the ground.

I only saw it from the outside of course, by round my way they seemed very organised at other aspects - despite being a LD dominant town VoteLeave activists swarmed the centre on election day, and around 5pm on the day I saw several volunteers in their 20s knocking round doos in my estate to encourage people (I presume).
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    isam said:

nunu said:

As a serious bettor, you should be aware that UKIP have never been this short a price to win a by election and not won it. It is quite absurd, as an informed gambler, to take the evidence of such a tiny sample (by elections since 2010) seriously ( I dont take the fact that they are 2/2 when odds on seriously) Apart from the ones won by defectors, UKIP should never have stood a chance in any of them, there haven't been any favourable conditions, until now.

I seem to remember you didn't fancy Carswell or Reckless either!
    To make a horseracing analogy, it is like judging a horse that only ever runs to form on a certain type of going and at one particular distance on the average of its performances on all different types of ground, surfaces and distances.
  • Options

nunu said:

Brave, very brave. Two posts down from yours Mr. Jessup is predicting a Labour win.
    I feel like the Tories have a small chance to come through the middle or even a shock lib dem win as well as ukip having a good shot but Snell is just crap his words will haunt him. He already lost once to ukip in 2014 (labour did well that year in locals didn't they) and doesn't seem to have learnt his lesson. What is more he has zero charisma.

On the other hand ukip chose an outsider when many people were already unhappy about Hunt being an outsider. So..........
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,850
    kle4 said:

Sean_F said:

My experience of Vote Leave is that the campaign was not at all well-organised on the ground.

I only saw it from the outside of course, by round my way they seemed very organised at other aspects - despite being a LD dominant town VoteLeave activists swarmed the centre on election day, and around 5pm on the day I saw several volunteers in their 20s knocking round doos in my estate to encourage people (I presume).
    Plainly, it was better-organised where you are. We did get Luton 100% leafletted, and there were street stalls, but there was no other form of campaigning.
  • Options

Well they are getting 30% swings....Only SNP has achieved that recently. So if turnout is below 35% I would say yes a good chance.
  • Options
    nunu said:

Well they are getting 30% swings....Only SNP has achieved that recently. So if turnout is below 35% I would say yes a good chance.
    nunu said:

Well they are getting 30% swings
    In locals. They'd need even bigger swings than Richmond. Would be fun though - with Tories and May polling so high, and Bregret not having kicked in, it would really confuse the political establishment.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901

nunu said:

http://motherboard.vice.com/read/big-data-cambridge-analytica-brexit-trump
  • Options

nunu said:

I think I was cursing Labour with a prediction. ;)

The vast majority of by-elections are holds for the current party. Since 2010 there have only been five by-elections (I think) where the party has changed, and two of those were the Con-UKIP defectors. Corby, Bradford West and Richmond Park are very much a special exception.

That's three out of ?30-odd? by-elections where the constituency party changed. You have to ask whether the circumstances now are special enough to buck the trend. I can't see that it is, in Stoke at least.

(Might be wrong on exact numbers).
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

My experience of Vote Leave is that the campaign was not at all well-organised on the ground, and that very little effort went into organising postal votes (of course, the situation may have been different elsewhere).

I was Vote Leave in my town. And did everything myself.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,080
    Truncating the x-axis to start at a peak is equally misleading if you're trying to make the case for a 'secular' trend.
  • Options
    rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,908
    edited February 2017
    I'm going for a Labour win in Stoke - certainly betting on it - and a Tory win in Copeland. Edit - feel a bit more confident on Stoke than Copeland.

Also... I know how much many on this site enjoy comparisons to the Romans so perhaps they will enjoy this from Paul Krugman:

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2016/12/19/opinion/how-republics-end.html?WT.mc_id=2016-KWP-MOBILE-INTL_AUD_DEV&WT.mc_ev=click&ad-keywords=IntlAudDev&kwp_0=301453&kwp_4=1162608&kwp_1=530200&_r=0&referer=
  • Options
    SeanT said:

If this video goes viral in Stoke then Labour will lose.

https://order-order.com/2017/02/13/paul-mason-ukip-voters-are-bike-nicking-toe-rags/

Maybe Labour would rather lose than appeal to the sorts of people who might otherwise be tempted by UKIP.

It's the only way to explain the behaviour and selection of Snell, as well as some of their key campaigners.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

https://order-order.com/2017/02/13/paul-mason-ukip-voters-are-bike-nicking-toe-rags/

Oh my. Mason seems deeply confused. UKIP voters are a) the bloke who nicks your bike and b) not poor, driving around in SUV or similar and in work, obsessed with black people's clothes.

Why would man b) be interested in nicking my bike?
  • Options
    A quick look at the local stoke rag on the web, not really any coverage of all the stuff we have covered on here, in fact very limited coverage full stop.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

" Trumpoids who tried to shot me "

Mason is a very ill paranoid schizophrenic. He genuinely needs help. Seriously.
  • Options
    JobabobJobabob Posts: 3,807
    If UKIP can't win here and now, with their leader standing, they can't win anywhere. For all our sakes, they need to pull this off. That all said, Mike is right - they are hopeless at elections, as a rule.
  • Options
    swing_voterswing_voter Posts: 1,435
    I smiled at the idea of UKIP canvassers needing "house training", does canvassing actually change voters minds or simply motivate the decideds to actually vote?
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,499
    edited February 2017
    Scott_P said:
    I assume all those Trumpers and PBers exercised by Hillary Clinton's email servers have been rending their garments today?

https://twitter.com/christinawilkie/status/831179863214141443
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

nunu said:

http://motherboard.vice.com/read/big-data-cambridge-analytica-brexit-trump
    That's a great article. It backs up what I said after the last GE: the Conservatives harnessed the best of the current tech back then. If the other parties want to compete in 2020 then they don't just want to catch up to the techniques the Conservatives used in 2015; they'll need to spend a fantastic amount on the then-current tech.

Fake News is part and parcel of this.

Privacy is also a significant issue. It's one of the reasons I don't have a store card and like cash. ;)

(Though for various reasons I'm sceptical about Cambridge Analytica's precise claims.)
  • Options
    MarkSeniorMarkSenior Posts: 4,699
    Poster/billboard count from someone up in Stoke yesterday . Up a bit on last week but still very low numbers .
    Labour 28
    Lib Dem 16
    UKIP 1
    Conservative 1
  • Options

I smiled at the idea of UKIP canvassers needing "house training", does canvassing actually change voters minds or simply motivate the decideds to actually vote?

You canvass to identify your base and get them to vote on polling day, or do a postal vote. It can make a difference of 1,000-2,000 votes in your column, done thoroughly.

Very, very few votes are won on the doorstep. If they are, it's almost always by the candidate himself or herself.
  • Options
    dr_spyn said:

Snell lost to UKIP in 2014, would be funny if history repeated itself. I see that Sod off and go back to where you came from is still acceptable reply from Snell.

However, Master Farron will have to up his game if this video is anything to go by. Haul him in for media training.

https://twitter.com/lesbonner/status/831205117005283328

Only one person on the ballot paper fighting against a hard Brexit ^_~
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Sean_F said:

Which LD dominant town, might I ask?
  • Options
    Essexit said:

kle4 said:

Sean_F said:

Trowbridge, Wiltshire.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,865
    SeanT said:

This is up there with HRC's "deplorables" comment.

It's elementary politics - criticise your opponent's policies by all means, criticise your opponent's personal qualifications and political record by all means but you must never be critical of those intending to vote for your opponent.

It's a democracy - it's not a question of right or wrong. People have a right to make up their own minds and have their own opinions. That doesn't mean you can't argue or challenge the opinions and try to convince them to your way of thinking - that's the political process.

Ultimately, it's a person's right to disagree with you - that doesn't make them bad or wrong or evil or stupid - it's simply they don't see the issues as you do and have reached different conclusions to you. There may be all manner of reasons for that - that's irrelevant.
  • Options
    theakestheakes Posts: 842
    I am very sorry Mike but the video is by a person who came to Stoke with a clear view in his mind and the video confirms it. Amazingly the Conservatives are never mentioned. A very poor effort, some are now saying the Lib dems have caught UKIP up and only have Labour in front of them. He also fails to mention UKIPs falling support since 2015. Does this young man know what he is talking about? It is not what seems to be happening on the ground..
    Stephen Bush is more to the mark but again this ignores the Lib Dems who at the moment seem to be coming, coming. They too have a very good ground organization.
    Overall Labour are favourite will UKIP even come second?
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Essexit said:

kle4 said:

Sean_F said:

Trowbridge, Wiltshire.
    Thanks. Always interesting to know how the campaign was in other parts of the country.
  • Options
    TudorRoseTudorRose Posts: 1,662
    theakes said:

I am very sorry Mike but the video is by a person who came to Stoke with a clear view in his mind and the video confirms it. Amazingly the Conservatives are never mentioned. A very poor effort, some are now saying the Lib dems have caught UKIP up and only have Labour in front of them. He also fails to mention UKIPs falling support since 2015. Does this young man know what he is talking about? It is not what seems to be happening on the ground..
    Stephen Bush is more to the mark but again this ignores the Lib Dems who at the moment seem to be coming, coming. They too have a very good ground organization.
    Overall Labour are favourite will UKIP even come second?

Who are these 'some' who are saying the LibDems have caught up? It wouldn't be the LibDems by any chance?
  • Options
    stodge said:

SeanT said:

It's elementary politics - criticise your opponent's policies by all means, criticise your opponent's personal qualifications and political record by all means but you must never be critical of those intending to vote for your opponent.

It's a democracy - it's not a question of right or wrong. People have a right to make up their own minds and have their own opinions. That doesn't mean you can't argue or challenge the opinions and try to convince them to your way of thinking - that's the political process.

Ultimately, it's a person's right to disagree with you - that doesn't make them bad or wrong or evil or stupid - it's simply they don't see the issues as you do and have reached different conclusions to you. There may be all manner of reasons for that - that's irrelevant.
    Not quite in HRC's league, as Paul Mason isn't a leading MP or even candidate.

Yet...
  • Options
    theakestheakes Posts: 842
    Tudor Rose : the Lib Dems have done a lot of canvassing. You know the spot on accuracy of their returns at Richmond. Caught up - if it is right only with UKIP and the Cons not Labour, yet.
    Mike did you read yesterdays Guardian report, why not show that on this site?
  • Options
    midwintermidwinter Posts: 1,112
    Jobabob said:

If UKIP can't win here and now, with their leader standing, they can't win anywhere. For all our sakes, they need to pull this off. That all said, Mike is right - they are hopeless at elections, as a rule.

As well as being disorganized another factor in their poor election record is that they polarize opposition against them. Not clear that will happen in Stoke as the opposition looks very fractured.
  • Options
    stodge said:

SeanT said:

To be fair, Mason isn't the candidate, or even a Labour politician, so cant they just shrug it off?
  • Options
    SeanT said:

SeanT said:

Maybe Labour would rather lose than appeal to the sorts of people who might otherwise be tempted by UKIP.

It's the only way to explain the behaviour and selection of Snell, as well as some of their key campaigners.
    Indeed. It's like Matthew Parris describing all Leave voters - ALL 17m of them - as "racist".

Brexit has revealed an incredibly unappealing side to the Establishment, on both the Left and the Right. Just complete contempt, bordering on hatred, for ordinary people. And total, sneering disregard for their concerns.
    Their world has been turned upside down, and they are panicking
  • Options

Scott_P said:
    I assume all those Trumpers and PBers exercised by Hillary Clinton's email servers have been rending their garments today?

https://twitter.com/christinawilkie/status/831179863214141443
    Wow... Just wow... Can that seriously be true!?
    I never cease to be amazed by the levels of hypocrisy Republicans reach...

In a strange way I don't blame Trump... This is who he is.
    But how can republican politicians look themselves in the mirror after this....
  • Options
    SeanT said:

isam said:

stodge said:

SeanT said:

To be fair, Mason isn't the candidate, or even a Labour politician, so cant they just shrug it off?
    He was flanked by Corbynite journalist Zoe Williams, and at the same event he told the audience he was going to Stoke to campaign for Labour.

Difficult to shrug THAT off. If I was a UKIP voter in Stoke I'd be tempted to punch his fucking stupid face. Then nick his bike.
    Generally agreed - however note that Williams is no longer a Corbyn supporter. She is one of many lefties to bin him.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/jun/26/jeremy-corbyn-labour-remain-election?client=safari
  • Options
    SeanT said:

stodge said:

SeanT said:

It's an indescribably stupid, offensive and abusive remark. And this guy was a BBC journalist.

He says he's free to tell the truth now. I don't think he can really have fit in well with actual news organisations.

Scott_P said:

hts://twitter.com/christinawilkie/status/831179863214141443
    Poor stuff indeed.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

hts://twitter.com/ladpolitics/status/831230318405361665

I assume on the basis Sturgeon is young and rock solid in position so any other SNP person known now may well fade by the time she lets go in, what, a decade, and the only other scenario is a seismic event that turns the world on its head, and Davidson is the most likely beneficiary in such a scenario, being the strongest non-SNP figure.
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    Something witty about a double post.
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    Scott_P said:
    Shadsy is offering 5/1 on Corbyn as next PM, which tells you how unlikely Ruth Davidson is to be the next First Minister.
  • Options
    We are all Tories bike thieves now....
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    SeanT said:

isam said:

stodge said:

SeanT said:

He was flanked by Corbynite journalist Zoe Williams, and at the same event he told the audience he was going to Stoke to campaign for Labour.

Difficult to shrug THAT off. If I was a UKIP voter in Stoke I'd be tempted to punch his fucking stupid face. Then nick his bike.
    Oh! Well he shouldnt open with that line when door knocking!
  • Options

Scott_P said:
    Shadsy is offering 5/1 on Corbyn as next PM, which tells you how unlikely Ruth Davidson is to be the next First Minister.
    LOL
  • Options
    edited February 2017

Scott_P said:
    Shadsy is offering 5/1 on Corbyn as next PM, which tells you how unlikely Ruth Davidson is unlikely to be the next First Minister.
    Hosie or Yousaf might be value, but its an incomplete book. (They are both 5-2 next SNP leader with Paddy - take this bet rather than that one if you fancy their chances for that)

I'd lay Davidson, Black, Robison, Robertson, Mackay, Matheson at those odds if the market was up on Betfair.

33s for Dugdale may well be a fair price (And around 20s for Davidson maybe), and Salmond is the one SNP westminster MP who could head back to be FM, though 20-1 is probably too short.
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    Pulpstar said:

Scott_P said:
    Shadsy is offering 5/1 on Corbyn as next PM, which tells you how unlikely Ruth Davidson is unlikely to be the next First Minister.
    Hosie or Yousaf might be value, but its an incomplete book. (They are both 5-2 next SNP leader with Paddy - take this bet rather than that one if you fancy their chances for that)

I'd lay Davidson, Black, Robison, Robertson, Mackay, Matheson at those odds if the market was up on Betfair.

33s for Dugdale may well be a fair price (And around 20s for Davidson maybe), and Salmond is the one SNP westminster MP who could head back to be FM, though 20-1 is probably too short.
    I wouldn't be playing this market, within the next five years we could have had an

1) Another Indyref

and

2) Scotland votes for/becomes an Independent country.

Both of those are game changers.

I mean Scottish politics didn't change much after the first indyref?
  • Options
    nielhnielh Posts: 1,307
    isam said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

.....r concerns.
    T.....

You canvass to identify your base and get them to vote on polling day, or do a postal vote. It can make a difference of 1,000-2,000 votes in your column, done thoroughly.

Very, very few votes are won on the doorstep. If they are, it's almost always by the candidate himself or herself.
    Unless you are the candidate, converting people is not productive, counter productive even. It is purely about finding out who your voters are and then getting them to actually turn up to vote on polling day. It is nonetheless a useful activity to find out what voters think, as long as you don't spend too much time on the doorstep talking to people.

For what its worth I think the absence of a remain GOTV operation was a major factor in the referendum result. There was no voter data from Stronger In, and the Labour In data was almost totally unreliable - guesswork from some algorhythm on a computer system at head office. On election day we were knocking on random doors with an even split of preferences between leave and remain, the effect of the work being in some cases simply reminding people to vote leave. The absence of co-ordination between the two campaigns meant almost no information was being shared. As a result there were 'labour in' people knocking on totally random doors and Stronger in people handing out crap patronising propoganda in the town centre. I'm pretty sure it had almost no effect on the referendum result and was almost as bad as the leave campaign, who also had no data and did nothing except for stand around lecturing people in the town centre and of course, turn up to grandstand at the count.

Had there been an effective, joined up stronger in campaign locally and nationally then remain could have got the won the referendum. It was basically the labour leaderships reluctance to agree to any co-ordination between the campaigns that lost it.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Scott_P said:

I wouldn't be playing this market, within the next five years we could have had an

1) Another Indyref

and

As I've said I'm not playing, its the sort of market you want to lay/be the bookie in as it is ages away (probably) and incomplete. A bit like the Labour leadership !
    That said if you held a gun to my head I'd say the 12-1 on Yousaf is fair enough.
  • Options

Sean_F said:

I was Vote Leave in my town. And did everything myself.
    we were leafletting the day before.....and not even leaflets say remember vote tommorow just non targetted generic leaflets
  • Options
    midwintermidwinter Posts: 1,112

SeanT said:

As a Conservative supporter I think I'd rather lose than have to appeal to the sort of people that are still tempted by UKIP now that Brexit is won?

What would be your motivation? Nothing particularly palatable. And that isn't accusing all Leavers/Kippers of racism before anybody starts squeaking, just pointing out that we're leaving the EU now, sovereignty is regained, the battle is won. Anything further immigration wise starts to really look BNP lite and those aren't people I'd like on my side in the ballot booth.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Jobabob said:

SeanT said:

isam said:

stodge said:

SeanT said:

Generally agreed - however note that Williams is no longer a Corbyn supporter. She is one of many lefties to bin him.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/jun/26/jeremy-corbyn-labour-remain-election?client=safari
    You're right on Williams of course. Does Corbyn have any high profile supporters left? Monbiot has dumped him, also Owen Jones (I think). Are there any others?

As for Mason, what I don't understand is how he thinks these comments can possibly help his cause. He's not an idiot. So what is he doing? Is there some Corbynite plan to destroy the Labour party as we know it, then remake it as a purer, hard left force?

Or maybe he is just a massive idiot. Who knows.
    Yes it's not clear what value Mason adds to the debate, or to Corbyn's fortunes. Indeed, Mason himself has been critical of Corbyn, albeit recorded by a passing hack when having a few beers with his mate.

Not sure if there are many loyalist left.

https://www.politicshome.com/news/uk/political-parties/labour-party/news/79840/jeremy-corbyn-supporter-paul-mason-says-labour
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Pulpstar said:

Scott_P said:

1) Another Indyref

and

The big question is will TMay allow an indyref before Brexit is done. I don't see how she can, politically, legally, diplomatically, even emotionally: it will fuck her UK Brexit negotiations and throw everything into further chaos, cubed.

But how does TMay prevent an indyref til Brexit is complete without looking horribly undemocratic and thus helping Sturgeon win her eventual vote in, say, the early 2020s?

They must be pondering this in Westminster.

On the other hand she would have the polls on her side. Only 27% of Scots want a new indyref prior to Brexit being done and dusted.
    She can deny it until the next general election/Scottish Parliamentary elections.

When the SNP put it in their manifesto to hold another Indyref.
  • Options
    nielhnielh Posts: 1,307
    Paul Mason has completely lost it. He totally misunderstands UKIP's appeal. He is making shocking generalisations in this video that simply don't stand up to scrutiny. At least when Nutall made his politically suicidal attacks on the NHS he was engaging in a comparitively sensible debate about the subject.
  • Options
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lHusZDjesr4

This is getting a bit scary now....
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584

twitter.com/Channel4News/status/831192749529559041

"I will be pretty tough [on Brexit]... because we have to preserve the rest of the EU" - French presidential candidate EmmanuelMacron

Dumber than a box of rocks.

• Options
    SeanT said:

Pulpstar said:

Scott_P said:

1) Another Indyref

and

The big question is will TMay allow an indyref before Brexit is done. I don't see how she can, politically, legally, diplomatically, even emotionally: it will fuck her UK Brexit negotiations and throw everything into further chaos, cubed.

But how does TMay prevent an indyref til Brexit is complete without looking horribly undemocratic and thus helping Sturgeon win her eventual vote in, say, the early 2020s?

On the other hand she would have the polls on her side. Only 27% of Scots want a new indyref prior to Brexit being done and dusted.
    A somewhat lesser statoid compared to the 49% who now favour independence, and the 54% who support the SNP. And who would bet on May besting Nicola? Sturgeon is the more accomplished operator, by a Scottish mile.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Scott_P said:

1) Another Indyref

and

As I've said I'm not playing, its the sort of market you want to lay/be the bookie in as it is ages away (probably) and incomplete. A bit like the Labour leadership !
    That said if you held a gun to my head I'd say the 12-1 on Yousaf is fair enough.
    I agree with that 12/1.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,030
    edited February 2017
    He said nothing inconsistent with what every other mainstream French presidential candidate has said and even May has now recognised ie no single market access or passport rights if Brexit but negotiations on the basis of bilateral conventions and he would protect the rights of British citizens in France. He also said Le Pen would kill the EU if she wins
  • Options
    TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362
    Did anyone watch Tony Blair mark 2(Trudeau) and the Trump news conference.

Trump has world leaders sucking up to him especially the western one's and that includes Trudeau,at least our PM made him say he was 100% behind NATO.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Pulpstar said:

Scott_P said:

1) Another Indyref

and

A depressing thought. I just hope we get that far.
  • Options
    I recently came across this article from Patrick Minford written during Blair's first term where he advocates the UK joining NAFTA. As you'd expect it's horribly dated and contains a number of startling inaccuracies, but this nugget is a fascinating insight into the global Brexiteer mindset:

As for economic policies within NAFTA, there would be no social charter US-style, no tax harmonisation, no worries about being asked to bail-out insolvent partner countries with unaffordable state pensions. True, the EU offers free movement of people and the single market; but there is little migration in Europe and the single market has proved a recipe for excessive regulation. In any case joining NAFTA would not stop us doing what we want with the EU.

http://www.euro-know.org/europages/telegraph/dt990719.html

Far from the present day bogeyman, freedom of movement was seen as something we ought to have more of, and the relative lack of it in practice was seen as a reason to criticise the EU. It's easy to see why Blair made the decision not to impose controls after the 2004 expansion. If the Eurosceptics were intellectually honest, they would say that the fact that so many people chose to move to the UK is evidence that the EU 'works'.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    Wondering if Macron provides a model for the UK left.
  • Options
    nunu said:

Yep.
    We may be watching the end of American democracy.
  • Options

Trump has world leaders sucking up to him especially the western one's and that includes Trudeau,at least our PM made him say he was 100% behind NATO.

Trudeau said he would would respect US voters' decision and maintain the strong bond between the US and Canada but stand up for Canadian values where necessary
  • Options
    YorkcityYorkcity Posts: 4,382

He never said it she did.
  • Options
    HaroldOHaroldO Posts: 1,185
    rkrkrk said:

nunu said:

Yep.
    We may be watching the end of American democracy.
    Miller has the dead eyes of a mannequin.
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584
    SeanT said:

49% was one poll, out of line with all others. Though I accept it is close, nonetheless.

But my point was not about whether YES or NO would win, it's about the politics. I literally can't see how TMay could allow a new indyref when she's in the middle of negotiating Britain's exit from the EU. It's like negotiating a divorce, and carefully dividing the assets, while simultaneously wagering your house on a poker game.

To my mind (I await cleverer people to educate me) it is undo-able, in so many ways.

So she has to find a way to delay it. OR she yields in some way to Sturgeon's demand on the Single Market, without looking weak.

Very very tricky.

Scotland voted to remain part of Britain, and Britain (inc Scotland) voted for Brexit.

Sturgeon has no justification whatsoever for her demand.

Ignore.

• Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,758
    SeanT said:

Pulpstar said:

Scott_P said:

1) Another Indyref

and

Fuck You Sturgeon

would probably do it
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    EU Farmers' Unions say politics cannot be allowed to override economics as they lobby for free trade with UK.

https://www.fginsight.com/news/eu-farming-unions-push-for-free-trade-with-the-uk-post-brexit-18713
  • Options

SeanT said:

49% was one poll, out of line with all others. Though I accept it is close, nonetheless.

But my point was not about whether YES or NO would win, it's about the politics. I literally can't see how TMay could allow a new indyref when she's in the middle of negotiating Britain's exit from the EU. It's like negotiating a divorce, and carefully dividing the assets, while simultaneously wagering your house on a poker game.

To my mind (I await cleverer people to educate me) it is undo-able, in so many ways.

So she has to find a way to delay it. OR she yields in some way to Sturgeon's demand on the Single Market, without looking weak.

Very very tricky.

Scotland voted to remain part of Britain, and Britain (inc Scotland) voted for Brexit.

Ignore.

Agreed. They had their referendum in the knowledge this might happen.

The best thing TM can do to save the union is make a success of Brexit.
  • Options
    YorkcityYorkcity Posts: 4,382
    Jobabob said:

SeanT said:

Pulpstar said:

Scott_P said:

1) Another Indyref

and

A somewhat lesser statoid compared to the 49% who now favour independence, and the 54% who support the SNP. And who would bet on May besting Nicola? Sturgeon is the more accomplished operator, by a Scottish mile.
    Agreed she is a class act best leading politician in the UK by a country mile.

• Options
    Jonathan said:

If he wins he will be studied closely. A man who broke away from a moribund left party to command the centre ground.

IF he wins.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Macron is a French LD, Hamon and Melenchon are the French left
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,609
    I just got my first ever iPhone. Unfortunately the new job requires an iPhone for whatever reason. So far I'm not impressed. I think it will stay in my desk drawer while I'm at home.
  • Options

SeanT said:

Very very tricky.

Ignore.

In 2014 voters in Scotland were told the only way they'd remain inside the single market was to vote No.
  • Options
    TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362
    Yorkcity said:

He never said it she did.
    In Discussions he must have.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

I just got my first ever iPhone. Unfortunately the new job requires an iPhone for whatever reason. So far I'm not impressed. I think it will stay in my desk drawer while I'm at home.

That's you off TSE christmas card list.
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    You can have Brexit or the UK but not both.

For years the anti Europeans have been screaming that the EU is about politics, not economics, yet they somehow believe that leaving will have no affect on our politics but offer us economic benefits. Their own incoherence blinds them to what is going to unfold.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Jobabob said:

SeanT said:

Pulpstar said:

Scott_P said:

1) Another Indyref

and

Very very tricky.
    Yes, it's fascinating politics. Merely the threat from
    Sturgeon will be hard to handle.
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341

SeanT said:

Very very tricky.

Ignore.

In 2014 voters in Scotland were told the only way they'd remain inside the single market was to vote No.
    They were told oil would be $100 a barrel as well.

• Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,758

SeanT said:

Very very tricky.

Ignore.

fucking nat idiots

all they had to do was stick £350 million on the side of a bus
This discussion has been closed.