Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Reports that Corbyn “has fixed his exit date” sets off betting

124»

Comments

• Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548

Dr. Foxinsox, aren't terriers yappy and difficult to train?

First hound may have been part poodle, and she was the best of dogs.

Borders are the most trainable terriers, a lot of other terriers are hard to have off a lead. The secret is to walk with them off a lead while they are still young, so they learrn to stick with you, particularly if you slip them the odd morsel. They are pretty silent but will woof at people coming to the door a couple of times. I consider that part of their job description! They are up for a scrap if their owner is threatened but not aggressive by nature, apart from foxes which they strongly disapprove of!
  • Options
    Carolus_RexCarolus_Rex Posts: 1,414

Pensioners get the triple lock guarantee but those who are disabled get no increase.

Really? Do you ever bother to look up facts before you post nonsense like that?
    What are the facts then? Please enlighten me. The disabled get no increase. Does the triple lock no longer apply to pensions? Please show me the links that say this is not so.

A lot of you on this site seem to believe all the nonsense spouted by the Tories about being One Nation. They are not One Nation.
    There's no triple lock for disability benefits but It's not accurate to say the disabled get no increase. Rates for disability benefits for 2016/17 and 2017/2018 are here.

http://www.focusondisability.org.uk/brates-1.html
  • Options
    Mr. Mortimer, only briefly (and some years ago) looked after a cocker spaniel, but I think it was a pleasant and friendly beast.

Aye, the first hound was fantastically astute, able and willing to defend herself (saw off an amorous Alsatian twice her size when she was about two) but incredibly soft with people.

Dr. Foxinsox, must admit, I'd still prefer a medium-sized dog. Damned shame larger ones don't live as long.
  • Options
    The_TaxmanThe_Taxman Posts: 2,979
    eek said:

Jason said:

Having watched PMQs for the last month or two, I cannot remember a single Labour, Liberal or SNP MP asking one question regarding the economy. Can anyone else recall? All they seem to do is ask for more and more money. Are there no grown ups on the Opposition benches left? Or did they all disappear when Brown was booted out?

The "grown up" Tories cut capital gains tax in one of their more recent budgets. At the time of the coalition government Osborne told the people that the 28% rate would optimise revenue whilst not discouraging risk. If money could be later found for that tax cut then why not more money for the NHS or even uprating social security benefits with inflation for the disabled? Pensioners get the triple lock guarantee but those who are disabled get no increase.

The Tories are not a One Nation party of government anymore, they are just the party of the rich. The new post Brexit framework should be more redistributive not less. The nasty party is back and firing on all cylinders.

Yawn....

The current Govt. takes a greater proportion as tax - 37% - than the Govts. of John Major, Tony Blair, Gordon Brown or the Coalition.

And yet thanks to the structural deficit Gordon Brown created by offering overly generous tax credits to those willing to work a mere 16 hours a week the Government still needs to borrow money....
    Some people may not be able to work more than 16 hours a week due to having child care issues, elderly parents or indeed may be disabled. The Tories on here seem to be the lucky ones in life where they don't know what hardship is or lack of opportunities. Some people are simply not capable of doing work in sufficient hours to pay their own way. The attitude that pervades the Tories is tough luck to them whilst enriching others who can get a decent standing of living. Another thing is the amount of homeless people in society, I am truly shocked to see the large numbers you see in town and city centres - it is appalling.
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098
    My thanks to those who have recommended dog breeds. Lots to think about.
  • Options

Pensioners get the triple lock guarantee but those who are disabled get no increase.

What are the facts then? Please enlighten me. The disabled get no increase. Does the triple lock no longer apply to pensions? Please show me the links that say this is not so.

A lot of you on this site seem to believe all the nonsense spouted by the Tories about being One Nation. They are not One Nation.
    There's no triple lock for disability benefits but It's not accurate to say the disabled get no increase. Rates for disability benefits for 2016/17 and 2017/2018 are here.

I see the "The DWP benefit rates for 2016 to 2017 are also listed. The Government has frozen increases on many benefit rates and you may see no increase for 2017 to 2018."
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,009

eek said:

Jason said:

Having watched PMQs for the last month or two, I cannot remember a single Labour, Liberal or SNP MP asking one question regarding the economy. Can anyone else recall? All they seem to do is ask for more and more money. Are there no grown ups on the Opposition benches left? Or did they all disappear when Brown was booted out?

The "grown up" Tories cut capital gains tax in one of their more recent budgets. At the time of the coalition government Osborne told the people that the 28% rate would optimise revenue whilst not discouraging risk. If money could be later found for that tax cut then why not more money for the NHS or even uprating social security benefits with inflation for the disabled? Pensioners get the triple lock guarantee but those who are disabled get no increase.

The Tories are not a One Nation party of government anymore, they are just the party of the rich. The new post Brexit framework should be more redistributive not less. The nasty party is back and firing on all cylinders.

Yawn....

The current Govt. takes a greater proportion as tax - 37% - than the Govts. of John Major, Tony Blair, Gordon Brown or the Coalition.

And yet thanks to the structural deficit Gordon Brown created by offering overly generous tax credits to those willing to work a mere 16 hours a week the Government still needs to borrow money....
    Some people may not be able to work more than 16 hours a week due to having child care issues, elderly parents or indeed may be disabled. The Tories on here seem to be the lucky ones in life where they don't know what hardship is or lack of opportunities. Some people are simply not capable of doing work in sufficient hours to pay their own way. The attitude that pervades the Tories is tough luck to them whilst enriching others who can get a decent standing of living. Another thing is the amount of homeless people in society, I am truly shocked to see the large numbers you see in town and city centres - it is appalling.
    Firstly you are making an assumption there that I vote Tory. Secondly you are referring to disabled people (served by a separate benefits system, parents with children (served by a different tax credit system) and elderly parents (served by disability allowances and probably also getting attendance allowances).

And read my original post again - I'm not complaining about our welfare state as created after the 1st and 2nd World Wars but the utterly insane changes made by a certain Mr G Brown to win elections in 2005....
  • Options
    edited February 2017

Mr. Mortimer, only briefly (and some years ago) looked after a cocker spaniel, but I think it was a pleasant and friendly beast.

Aye, the first hound was fantastically astute, able and willing to defend herself (saw off an amorous Alsatian twice her size when she was about two) but incredibly soft with people.

Dr. Foxinsox, must admit, I'd still prefer a medium-sized dog. Damned shame larger ones don't live as long.

That was my prelidiction too. Mrs Fox however wanted a dog small enough for her to control on a lead. I am now a convert. Borders are about the same size as a fox, so they can go to ground after them.

Terriers are very characterful, so not so easy to train as sporting dogs or working dogs, but their loyalty and stubboness is part of their charm.

HL would probably appreciate their fine moustaches too!
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited February 2017

What are the facts then? Please enlighten me. The disabled get no increase. Does the triple lock no longer apply to pensions? Please show me the links that say this is not so..

The facts are that the disabled got relatively large increases over the last six years, for example Disability Living Allowance (middle rate) was £47.80 in 2010/11 and is £55.10 in 2016/17 (and is set to increase marginally next year), during a period when incomes hardly increased. It is true that many benefits are being frozen at these higher levels.

So you really do need to look at the whole picture. That's the whole point of being 'one-nation', isn't it?
  • Options

Dr. Foxinsox, aren't terriers yappy and difficult to train?

First hound may have been part poodle, and she was the best of dogs.

Borders are the most trainable terriers, a lot of other terriers are hard to have off a lead. The secret is to walk with them off a lead while they are still young, so they learrn to stick with you, particularly if you slip them the odd morsel. They are pretty silent but will woof at people coming to the door a couple of times. I consider that part of their job description! They are up for a scrap if their owner is threatened but not aggressive by nature, apart from foxes which they strongly disapprove of!
    They are also very sociable and will get on well with children and other household pets. Actually they are brilliant little dogs, I would have one like a shot if I didn't live on my own.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @nicholaswatt: Labour conceding it will lose the 9 Brexit parliamentary bill amendment votes now underway: we won the arguments but we will lose the votes
  • Options
    eek said:

eek said:

Jason said:

Yawn....

Firstly you are making an assumption there that I vote Tory. Secondly you are referring to disabled people (served by a separate benefits system, parents with children (served by a different tax credit system) and elderly parents (served by disability allowances and probably also getting attendance allowances).

And read my original post again - I'm not complaining about our welfare state as created after the 1st and 2nd World Wars but the utterly insane changes made by a certain Mr G Brown to win elections in 2005....
    Fair enough. I dislike Brown anyway.
  • Options
    Looks like the government have seen off the Article 50 amendments.
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341

I see the "The DWP benefit rates for 2016 to 2017 are also listed. The Government has frozen increases on many benefit rates and you may see no increase for 2017 to 2018."
    It clearly shows that benefits have risen on Disability Living Allowance and Attendance Allowance, for example - along with all the long term disability payments on ESA and Incapacity Benefit.

• Options

By what margin?
  • Options
    PaulyPauly Posts: 897
    Animal_pb said:

By what margin?
    https://twitter.com/BrexitCentral/status/829394279122468864

https://twitter.com/BrexitCentral/status/829390973520207872

7 more to come I think... *yawn*
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    Animal_pb said:

By what margin?
    336 votes to 291 for the first one, and I expect that the remaining votes will be similar.

Edit: Perhaps they'll have a bit more trouble on the one about a unilateral guarantee for EU nationals resident here.
  • Options
    Caroline Lucas✔@CarolineLucas

Starting 2.5 hours of voting on 10 amendments on #brexitbill - reflecting that in modern parliament & electronic voting, would take 5 mins

No more parading through the lobbies, humbug. - No sense of drama that woman…
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    Is Osborne back for the votes?

EDIT: Yes.
  • Options
    MPs are now voting on amendment 29, an amendment tabled by the Labour MP Mike Gapes saying the government should consult Gibraltar before it triggers article 50.
  • Options

What are the facts then? Please enlighten me. The disabled get no increase. Does the triple lock no longer apply to pensions? Please show me the links that say this is not so..

The facts are that the disabled got relatively large increases over the last six years, for example Disability Living Allowance (middle rate) was £47.80 in 2010/11 and is £55.10 in 2016/17 (and is set to increase marginally next year), during a period when incomes hardly increased. It is true that many benefits are being frozen at these higher levels.

So you really do need to look at the whole picture. That's the whole point of being 'one-nation', isn't it?
    No, it is selective, the Pension went up in the previous 6 years and will still go up in the future. The disabled don't vote Tory as IDS clearly commented in early 2016. They are not a priority. Think about what your defending. The Tories are not protecting the disabled, they are punishing them for being disabled. Inflation will rise in the coming years as a result of Tory policies. If Labour were half competent they would be chasing the Tories over their twisted priorities of increasing the old age pension for all, whilst cutting capital gains taxes for the very richest. It is simply not civilised and is certainly not One Nation. As I say the Nasty Party is back.
  • Options
    chestnut said:

It clearly shows that benefits have risen on Disability Living Allowance and Attendance Allowance, for example - along with all the long term disability payments on ESA and Incapacity Benefit.

A marginal increase. Do you remember when Brown increased the pension by 75P? What did the Tories say about that? Double standards I think.
  • Options
    mattmatt Posts: 3,789

No, it is selective, the Pension went up in the previous 6 years and will still go up in the future. The disabled don't vote Tory as IDS clearly commented in early 2016. They are not a priority. Think about what your defending. The Tories are not protecting the disabled, they are punishing them for being disabled. Inflation will rise in the coming years as a result of Tory policies. If Labour were half competent they would be chasing the Tories over their twisted priorities of increasing the old age pension for all, whilst cutting capital gains taxes for the very richest. It is simply not civilised and is certainly not One Nation. As I say the Nasty Party is back.
    To be clear then, you're saying that state payments should rise to take account of inflation you anticipate will occur.
  • Options
    edited February 2017

When you say things like 'the Tories are punishing them for being disabled', frankly you don't sound very sane.

You seem to have particular obsession with the Triple Lock, which for some reason you think is evidence of the evil intent of Conservatives. You do know that it was introduced by a Labour government, I suppose? And that it is current Labour policy to keep it for the whole of the next parliament (the Conservatives haven't committed to that, as far as I know)? So you seem to be a bit twisted up; shouldn't it be the Nasty Labour Party you are lambasting?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-38148520
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    edited February 2017

chestnut said:

A marginal increase. Do you remember when Brown increased the pension by 75P? What did the Tories say about that? Double standards I think.
    The general concept with benefits has always been that they rise with inflation, usually linked to the rate in September in the tax year beforehand. At a time when there has been virtually no inflation, benefit rises will be marginal.

As inflation rises, so will benefits.
  • Options
    mattmatt Posts: 3,789

chestnut said:

Didn't you claim that there had been no increase?
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    edited February 2017
    Let's be reasonable and not blame successive UK governments for being caught by surprise by the social care crisis. After all, they've only had 70 years to prepare for it, since the baby boom of the late 1940s and early 1950s.
  • Options
    @ChukaUmunna: .@HouseofCommons voting now on #350mForTheNHS
  • Options
    @NatParkUndrgrnd: Any shareholder of Nordstrom now has standing to take legal action against Trump for using the office of the President to benefit his family pic.twitter.com/R27JvGyZ6Z
  • Options
    A key route into the UK for children caught up in Europe's migrant crisis is to close after a total of 350 arrivals.

In a written ministerial statement, the Home Office said it would stop receiving children via the so-called Dubs amendment at the end of March.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-38912428
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    Good. How he's managed to last this long... should have gone years ago.
  • Options
    @politicshome: MPs vote 337 to 288 against @ChukaUmunna's amendment on Vote Leave's bus message of £350m/week for NHS post-Brexit bit.ly/2k2lJp4
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Let's be reasonable and not blame successive UK governments for being caught by surprise by the social care crisis. After all, they've only had 70 years to prepare for it, since the baby boom of the late 1940s and early 1950s.

"We're British, we'll do nothing until it's too late."
    -Carry on up the Khyber
    (And HM Government since time immemorial)
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,062

Big time
  • Options
    Clive Lewis watch

The Labour MP and shadow minister is said to be planning to vote against Article 50 tonight.

If he does he will be sacked or forced out of the shadow cabinet. Is he preparing for a big speech afterwards? Some believe so ...
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,062

When you say things like 'the Tories are punishing them for being disabled', frankly you don't sound very sane.

You seem to have particular obsession with the Triple Lock, which for some reason you think is evidence of the evil intent of Conservatives. You do know that it was introduced by a Labour government, I suppose? And that it is current Labour policy to keep it for the whole of the next parliament (the Conservatives haven't committed to that, as far as I know)? So you seem to be a bit twisted up; shouldn't it be the Nasty Labour Party you are lambasting?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-38148520
    LOL so says the Head Tory
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

@ChukaUmunna: .@HouseofCommons voting now on #350mForTheNHS

You must be in seventh heaven.
  • Options
    PaulyPauly Posts: 897
    https://twitter.com/isaby/status/829398865271017475
    Do the Labour party agree on anything?
  • Options

NEW THREAD

• Options
    very weak lineup for Leicester. Zieler is a terrble goalie. Derby to win. Good value at plus.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    Scott_P said:

@nicholaswatt: Labour conceding it will lose the 9 Brexit parliamentary bill amendment votes now underway: we won the arguments but we will lose the votes

Surely the vote is the only way of judging if they win the argument?
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    stodge said:

JohnO said:

Exactly: the income derived from the capital spend is essential to maintaining services that can only be funded from recurring revenue. So it's bizarre, bordering on the grotesque, for Hazel Watson to demand divestment of this commercial property.

To a point, yes, but commercial investment property relies on a steady stream of tenant income without which it's just another freehold liability. I wouldn't argue against disposal if the price was right - if you buy an office block for £10 million and someone offers you £20 million three years later, you might as well take the money and look for another investment.

Guliani going on television and saying proudly that Trump had come to him asking how to do a Muslim ban will be a thoughy as well.
This discussion has been closed.