Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Betting on whether or not John Bercow will remain Speaker unti

SystemSystem Posts: 11,699
edited February 2017 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Betting on whether or not John Bercow will remain Speaker until next year

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    EssexitEssexit Posts: 1,956
    First like Bercow in the morning news.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @JenWilliamsMEN: Labour MP tells me those on the left are starting to mobilise for a leadership challenge. Bets are being taken on when
  • Options
    Blue_rogBlue_rog Posts: 2,019
    @PlatoSaid

FPT

Plato, I've done a little scurrying around the field of truth that is Google.

Looks like I was wrong, the subject of this lady's documentary was no problem, the problem was the lady herself. Not a lot of people seem to like her. Strange
  • Options
    DanSmithDanSmith Posts: 1,215
    Scott_P said:

@JenWilliamsMEN: Labour MP tells me those on the left are starting to mobilise for a leadership challenge. Bets are being taken on when

Summer 2018. I thought McDonnell's "we'll be ahead in the polls in a year" comment was very telling.
  • Options
    tpfkartpfkar Posts: 1,548
    Hearing that the surrey council tax referendum might be off
  • Options
    JohnOJohnO Posts: 4,215
    O/T Surrey County Council withdraws proposal for 15% increase in Council Tax, and is now recommending 4.99%. No referendum, thank goodness.
  • Options
    JohnO said:

O/T Surrey County Council withdraws proposal for 15% increase in Council Tax, and is now recommending 4.99%. No referendum, thank goodness.

Bugger, I wanted to see what the vote would have been like in the referendum
  • Options
    JobabobJobabob Posts: 3,807
    DanSmith said:

Scott_P said:

Summer 2018. I thought McDonnell's "we'll be ahead in the polls in a year" comment was very telling.
    It's hard to see how the hard left get enough nominations. A unity candidate like Nandy from the soft left might be a better bet for the plotters.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,887
    Scott_P said:

Another one? Is Labour going to have a leadership election every year?
  • Options
    JobabobJobabob Posts: 3,807
    tpfkar said:

Hearing that the surrey council tax referendum might be off

Was always an utterly stupid idea (cf all referendums)
  • Options
    The speaker of the Lords is rightly miffed with Bercow’s student antics and rapped him over the knuckles on the issue. There will be many in the house whose low opinion of Bercow will now have been confirmed, some may even speak out, but that, I suspect is where it will end.

I doubt things will escalate to a vote of no confidence on the speaker, the PM will ignore Bercow’s outburst and a speech by Trump will be made in some form or other. If indeed the offer was ever made, or desired.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,913
    Bercow has every right to campaign against the Government's foreign policy, but not as Speaker.
  • Options
    Interesting this is coming now from the left, not Blairites. doesn't bold well for unity going foward.
  • Options
    @PickardJE: Javid calls LibDems "lazy". Mulholland calls Javid "pathetic". Javid calls Labour "an excuse of an opposition". Healey calls Javid "feeble".

@PickardJE: Welcome to the mother of Parliaments, the engine room of British democracy.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Interesting, by ‘the left’ is that the non Blairites who up till now have supported Corbyn?
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,117
    Time for Bercow to bow out before he his position becomes untenable, bring on the Moggster!
  • Options
    "People have to understand: Trump did not run to be Archbishop of Canterbury.”

Interesting article about the 'ideas' people behind Trump:

http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2017/02/steve-bannon-books-reading-list-214745
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Scott_P said:

They should start doing these properly: have a panel of celebrity judges and televise it. The BBC seem willing to air any old reality tv tat these days, so that should be easy.

What would it be called, though? They already did Somewhere Over the Rainbow, I think....
  • Options
    PlatoSaidPlatoSaid Posts: 10,383
    Blue_rog said:

@PlatoSaid

FPT

Plato, I've done a little scurrying around the field of truth that is Google.

Looks like I was wrong, the subject of this lady's documentary was no problem, the problem was the lady herself. Not a lot of people seem to like her. Strange

I've seen a couple of BBC3 docus where the presenters didn't get what they expected. Andy Peters was quite shocked by anti-white racism in South Africa.

This is the Meyer panel with Affleck - Ben's not listening, just angry

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vln9D81eO60
  • Options
    JohnO said:

That's still way ahead of inflation! What does 'recommending' mean out of interest? How is the figure approved and by whom?
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,119
    Scott_P said:

Will there be a stalking hippo?
  • Options
    EssexitEssexit Posts: 1,956

Scott_P said:

Brutal but I must confess to laughing out loud.
  • Options
    It might also pay out if we have an early general election.

A very good point and, if he was planning on otherwise standing down in 2018, highly likely that he'd take the opportunity to retire at the GE instead.

I agree that 5/1 is decent value. I don't think it should be above 3/1.
  • Options

JohnO said:

Bugger, I wanted to see what the vote would have been like in the referendum
    Less than 15% "yes", and probably less than 4.99%...
  • Options
    tpfkartpfkar Posts: 1,548
    Patrick said:

JohnO said:

That's still way ahead of inflation! What does 'recommending' mean out of interest? How is the figure approved and by whom?
    It's a recommendation of cabinet to full council, I would be more than surprised if a Conservative council overruled its own cabinet on a council tax rise referendum.

Our budget meeting is next week, there are some huge rises in fees and charges - we now have to charge people for many discretionary services that only some benefit from (and 'benefit' is loosely defined when it comes to resident parking schemes.) So thanks to the Government council tax rise limit, we have to spend far more money administering small charges all over the place, a very inefficient way for the Government to get their low tax headline. It really is time for the council tax referendum limit to go - if you don't like what your councillors decide, vote for someone else to run things.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    Although that's offset by just (just!) a 7-point Con lead, 37:30.

The date on the release is 31 Jan. have we seen this poll before?
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,117
    edited February 2017
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,060
    Off-topic:

Intel might have a rather expensive ticking (or non-ticking) time bomb in some of their Atom chips:

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/02/06/cisco_intel_decline_to_link_product_warning_to_faulty_chip/
  • Options

Scott_P said:

It was on the Guardian website on Saturday night, and discussed on PB then.

Here's a newer poll

https://twitter.com/TSEofPB/status/828924920151339013
  • Options
    Patrick said:

JohnO said:

The Council will vote later this afternoon and the 4.99% will be carried overwhelmingly, perhaps unanimously. The increase comprises 1.99% allowed under the rules with the additional 3% permitted to fund adult social care.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,196
    JohnO said:

Do you think the Tories will retain control of the council?
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Scott_P said:

AFAIK, no British party has ever had three contested leadership elections in three consecutive years. Labour comes closest with 1960/61/63, though that final contest resulted from Gaitskell's death rather than a challenge to an incumbent or a resignation under pressure or from a sense of honour.
  • Options
    *tinfoil hat time*
    How about this three-line whip for A50 is on purpose to divide the party. Put most of the Blairites on the wrong side by getting them to vote for it, but leaving a few people to rebel it (Abbot, Lewis etc?) then they on purpose remove Corbyn and then a new lefty, who will be on touch with the labour membership in this issue.

If you wanted to shaft someone like Stamer, and get someone else from the left of the party as leader, then that would how you do it.
  • Options
    JohnO said:

Patrick said:

JohnO said:

The Council will vote later this afternoon and the 4.99% will be carried overwhelmingly, perhaps unanimously. The increase comprises 1.99% allowed under the rules with the additional 3% permitted to fund adult social care.
    Who polices the 3% to fund adult social care - and what is included in the definition? The council leader mentioned children's services when the referendum was announced which immediately put me off.
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    Bercow has managed to become even more of an embarrassment than Mrs Bercow.
  • Options

Scott_P said:

Here's a newer poll

"very modest"
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited February 2017
    JohnO said:

Patrick said:

JohnO said:

Don't us Surrey taxpayers get a say? Dear Lord - I may have to vote in a local election for the first time in my life. Tory. I would, for the avoidance of doubt, approve the 4.99%. 15% is out of order but I'm sure I'm good for a 5% bump up.
    I wasn't aware that social care was even eligible for a separate inflator of up to 3%. Given all the kerfuffle about social care in the news these days I'm guessing Surrey going for the full monty will set a precedent. 3% on top of inflation each year is alot!
  • Options
    Good afternoon, everyone.

Bercow's safe. The opposition will line up behind him, and he'll have enough blues on-side. He should, however, be tossed overboard.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

JohnO said:

As a candidate in a marginal seat, I very much hope so!

My guess is that now the 15% is off the agenda, the likelihood is that they should, particularly if the Conservatives are polling well nationally.
  • Options

*tinfoil hat time*
    How about this three-line whip for A50 is on purpose to divide the party. Put most of the Blairites on the wrong side by getting them to vote for it, but leaving a few people to rebel it (Abbot, Lewis etc?) then they on purpose remove Corbyn and then a new lefty, who will be on touch with the labour membership in this issue.

If you wanted to shaft someone like Sta[r]mer, and get someone else from the left of the party as leader, then that would how you do it.

Who is going to nominate this new lefty?
  • Options
    isam said:
    Wow. Doesn't bode well for Merkel.
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    JohnO said:

tlg86 said:

JohnO said:

My guess is that now the 15% is off the agenda, the likelihood is that they should, particularly if the Conservatives are polling well nationally.
    If I live in Cobham are you in my seat? I might even pop along in May!
  • Options

*tinfoil hat time*

If you wanted to shaft someone like Sta[r]mer, and get someone else from the left of the party as leader, then that would how you do it.

Who is going to nominate this new lefty?
    Pretty sure someone like Clive Lewis would get there.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,783

Bercow's safe. The opposition will line up behind him, and he'll have enough blues on-side. He should, however, be tossed overboard.

Looks about right - Guardian reports:
    Sir Edward Leigh, a Conservative, says he has doubts about not inviting the president of America to parliament, but that he thinks the Commons can only work if they respect the authority of the speaker...
  • Options
    AlsoIndigoAlsoIndigo Posts: 1,852

Scott_P said:

Here's a newer poll

"very modest"
    It's bizarre, how can anyone describe a indicated move of about a quarter of the margin of error as any sort of move at all, however modest ?
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,125
    Essexit said:

Scott_P said:

Brutal but I must confess to laughing out loud.
    Depends if she can shake off that Brexit flu.
  • Options

isam said:
    Wow. Doesn't bode well for Merkel.
    Goes to show actually how damaging the lefts continued utter outrage against Trump is dangerous. Without seeing theother side, society is getting more and more polarised.
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,319
    edited February 2017
    Scott_P said:
    Has May flipped? What about our effing trade deal? First Bercow and now the PM herself holding Donald up to criticism and ridicule. Don't they know how tetchy he can get? Sorry, but these politicians are not taking Brexit and its implications with the seriousness it demands.
  • Options
    Patrick said:

JohnO said:

tlg86 said:

JohnO said:

No, next door in Hersham. Mary Lewis is your excellent Councillor
  • Options
    Patrick said:

JohnO said:

tlg86 said:

JohnO said:

Bagshot here! Surrey represent!
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Looks about right - Guardian reports:
    Sir Edward Leigh, a Conservative, says he has doubts about not inviting the president of America to parliament, but that he thinks the Commons can only work if they respect the authority of the speaker...

...and they can only respect the authority of the speaker while he has the confidence of the House.

Even Gorbals Mick had the self awareness to go
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,125
    edited February 2017
    isam said:

Sounds like the Donald and Europe should be getting on just fine :)
  • Options
    @BBCNormanS: Tory Gerald Howarth tells Speaker that MPs need to be able to have "full confidence in your impartiality"
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,137

Scott_P said:

Here's a newer poll

Settling in to a steady 15% Tory lead, give or take. It's going to need Corbyn getting the boot to change that. Even then - who the hell leads Labour? And where do they get some credible policies from? Become UKIP-Lite??
  • Options
    Question: can Labour restore itself to relevance without any new leader explicitly repudiating Corbyn?
  • Options

Patrick said:

JohnO said:

tlg86 said:

JohnO said:

Bagshot here! Surrey represent!
    I'm Woking South West - should be a Tory hold.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,985
    felix said:

isam said:

The polish number doesn't surprise me, as a friend of mine noted - it is a very catholic country.
  • Options

Question: can Labour restore itself to relevance without any new leader explicitly repudiating Corbyn?

No
  • Options
    Looking at Surrey County Council wiki page I note that out of 81 councillors we have 1 Labour and 1 Green! Standards are slipping.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,983
    felix said:

isam said:

Mass protests outside Chatham House looming, get yer placards ready!
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    Astonishing, he made them land a 5000-1 shot last season; and now he has the vote of confidence by the board.
    Do they even know they were born ?
    I'd be very very glad to have him at Coventry City for life, but I doubt even he could turn us round.
  • Options
    rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,909

I don't think any need to attack him personally. But probably would be good for a new leader to make some gesture or policy call to show he or she is different.
  • Options
    edited February 2017

It's the membership who voted for him that needs repudiating! Whoever they eventually replace him with the country is still faced with the unpalatable reality that the membership are Marxists and the PLP spineless surrender monkeys - and that they can only hope to form a government in coalition with wee Jimmie Krankie yanking her chain.
  • Options

It's not simply a question of a simple majority though, which Bercow could certainly muster. A Speaker must command the confidence of the overwhelming majority of the House: probably at least 90%, assuming that parties aren't playing games. There is of course no convention on the matter but there doesn't need to be -as the convention is that MPs don't criticise openly but if they do, it's time to go.
  • Options
    Is a dam breaking?

"A second Swedish police officer has gone public to blow the whistle on how authorities are covering up a migrant crime wave just days after another top cop was reported as a “racist” for making similar comments.

Last week Peter Springare, police investigator and former deputy head of the division for serious crimes at the police in Örebro, made headlines after he wrote a Facebook post in which he detailed how the country was in “chaos” due to a never ending epidemic of serious crimes being committed by Muslim migrants.

Springare may now face charges under Sweden’s strict hate crime laws simply for accurately identifying the problem after he was reported to authorities over the remarks.

However, Springare has also received a deluge of support from both the public and his fellow police officers, one of whom came forward to validate his concerns.

In a Facebook message posted on a page set up to support Springare that currently has over 92,000 likes, Tomas Åsenlöv, a police officer for Greater Gothenburg, exposed how police have been told to implement a “Code 291” procedure in order to cover-up information about crimes committed by migrants...

http://www.infowars.com/second-swedish-police-officer-blows-the-whistle-on-migrant-crime-cover-up/
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548

What has Corbyn done apart from win the leadership contest and bore the shadow cabinet with his ramblings? What is there to repudiate?

A replacement needs to put a different face on the party, and to concentrate on domestic issues. They need to show vision and leadership. It is the decline of living standards of people on average earnings or less that is driving discontent in Europe and America.

As a general rule it is domestic politics that wins popularity, and foreign policy that loses it.
  • Options
    JohnO said:

What's the inside story behind that then, John?
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    Pulpstar said:

Scott_P said:
    Astonishing, he made them land a 5000-1 shot last season; and now he has the vote of confidence by the board.
    I'd be very very glad to have him at Coventry City for life, but I doubt even he could turn us round.
    Willie Thorne on R5 or talksport the other day said he WOULDNT accept relegation as a trade off for last years success... I find that extraordinary, although Thorne is a known losing gambler so his judgement may not be sound. I hope its not representative
  • Options
    Mr. Herdson, Bercow proved right from the start when he campaigned for the job he doesn't care about convention, something again proven when he decided neutrality doesn't matter any more if he decides otherwise. He'd get a majority, probably a small one, and stick around anyway.
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,503
    edited February 2017
    Bercow isn't a particularly attractive personality but will survive because he commands opposition support on the politics and backbencher Tory support on the process.

For example, without Bercow ruling as favourably as he did, it is unlikely the Tory Right could have ambushed Cameron on Europe quite so effectively as they did during 2011-2014 and Steve Baker could not have got through his amendments on the EU referendum bill.
  • Options
    http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/2017/02/john-bercow-consistently-voted-iraq-war-hes-colossal-hypocrite-not-hero/

Indeed, it’s becoming clear that Trump-bashing is primarily a means of moral cleansing, of averting the public and historic gaze from your own sins and crimes and confusions by taking part in the Two Minute Hate of this ‘New Hitler’. Just say: ‘I oppose Trump, and therefore I’m good.’ Shame on everyone indulging this spectacle, clapping and tweeting as the politicians who started a decade of war berate a politician for passing a three-month travel ban.
  • Options

JohnO said:

What's the inside story behind that then, John?
    Wish I knew...tuned into the webcast fully anticipating the 15% and then....what did he just say!
  • Options
    isam said:

Pulpstar said:

Scott_P said:
    Willie Thorne on R5 or talksport the other day said he WOULDNT accept relegation as a trade off for last years success... I find that extraordinary, although Thorne is a known losing gambler so his judgement may not be sound. I hope its not representative
    Ridiculous. It is trophies and titles that history judges you by as a sports club or person. Noone cares if you're near the top of the Championship or near the bottom of the prem in Season 17/18 or whatever when looking back from say 2025.
  • Options

What has Corbyn done apart from win the leadership contest and bore the shadow cabinet with his ramblings? What is there to repudiate?

A replacement needs to put a different face on the party, and to concentrate on domestic issues. They need to show vision and leadership. It is the decline of living standards of people on average earnings or less that is driving discontent in Europe and America.

As a general rule it is domestic politics that wins popularity, and foreign policy that loses it.
    They need to repudiate the fact of his election. Essentially "Labour will not elect joke candidates to lead it in future". Otherwise we're only a heartbeat away from Prime Minister Skinner if Labour should win a general election.
  • Options
    From the Tele blog

Negotiations will be most important for decades
    Keir Starmer, Labour's shadow Brexit secretary, is kicking off today's Brexit debate.

He says:

It's important as we go through this debate today that we remind ourselves of the context.

The negotiations that will take place under Article 50 will be the most difficult, most complex and the most important for decades.

"We must have tariff-free access to the single market, barrier-free access, regulatory alignment and full access for services as well as goods.

That suggest that the strongest mandate from Parliament is needed. No shirkers in voting for the bill please
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    Pulpstar said:

Scott_P said:
    Last years win must have been fake news...

Our owners are very slow to sack managers, so I think Claudio will last.

On Sunday 9 out of 11 starting players were the same as last seasons champions, with only Musa and Ndidi new, and Ndidi was Motm for Leicester. The formation was the same too, and Claudio has tinkered very little. I blame the players for losing focus.

• Options
    Interesting statistical reflections on London in the referendum, essentially arguing that there was no specific "London" effect, just more-or-less what you'd expect from London's makeup.

https://twitter.com/epkaufm/status/828946564823527424
  • Options
    @BBCNormanS: BIG Govt concession on Brexit. MPs will get vote on final deal before its finalised.
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,957
    edited February 2017
    OT - but fascinating:

A state by state guide to turnout at the US presidential election in 2016:

http://www.electproject.org/2016g

There does seem to be a slightly higher turnout in quite a few swing states, which may imply that some supporters of the non-dominant party in some safe states do indeed not bother to vote.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

@BBCNormanS: BIG Govt concession on Brexit. MPs will get vote on final deal before its finalised.

Nice oxymoron there.
  • Options
    @BBCNormanS: Govt say Brexit vote will be on both the withdrawl process and the future trading arrangements with EU
  • Options
    Mr. P, depends, that might not be much of a concession at all. If the options are This Deal and No Deal, This Deal is near certain to pass easily.
  • Options

Scott_P said:

Nice oxymoron there.
    Hasn't that always been the case? Parliament approves the deal or we leave with no deal at all.
  • Options
    @DavidLammy: In the event of no deal Parliament must decide what happens next. Remaining in EU & re-opening negotiations must be on the table in 2019.

@DavidLammy: Under no circumstances can the Govnt pull us out of the EU in 2019 without a deal in place. Vote must not be simply "take it or leave it".
  • Options

They need to repudiate the fact of his election. Essentially "Labour will not elect joke candidates to lead it in future". Otherwise we're only a heartbeat away from Prime Minister Skinner if Labour should win a general election.
    The new leader would have to change the leadership election rules.

Any nominee needs the support of 30% of MPs, and any MPs lending out sympathy nominations to broaden the debate will be hung from Traitors' Gate.
  • Options

http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/2017/02/john-bercow-consistently-voted-iraq-war-hes-colossal-hypocrite-not-hero/

Indeed, it’s becoming clear that Trump-bashing is primarily a means of moral cleansing, of averting the public and historic gaze from your own sins and crimes and confusions by taking part in the Two Minute Hate of this ‘New Hitler’. Just say: ‘I oppose Trump, and therefore I’m good.’ Shame on everyone indulging this spectacle, clapping and tweeting as the politicians who started a decade of war berate a politician for passing a three-month travel ban.

I couldn't agree more.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

@DavidLammy: In the event of no deal Parliament must decide what happens next. Remaining in EU & re-opening negotiations must be on the table in 2019.

@DavidLammy: Under no circumstances can the Govnt pull us out of the EU in 2019 without a deal in place. Vote must not be simply "take it or leave it".

He really doesn't get A50 does he? Or he affects not to.
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

I couldn't agree more.
    Me too.. and I say this as someone who despises the air that he breathes!! :smiley:
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Is that concession? If they approve we can shake hands with EU. If they don't we leave with no deal. Either way we're out. Brexit means Brexit and all that .
  • Options

Interesting statistical reflections on London in the referendum, essentially arguing that there was no specific "London" effect, just more-or-less what you'd expect from London's makeup.

https://twitter.com/epkaufm/status/828946564823527424

Oh my
  • Options
    Any word on the Lord Speaker statement yet?
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Not really a concession. The government would always be held to account on a matter of that importance, one way or another. Daft to have dragged it out so long.
This discussion has been closed.