Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Brexit. There’s everything to play for

Comments

• Options
    TOPPING said:

isam said:

valleyboy said:

Excellent Don. That is my hope as a fervent remoaner that negotiations will prove so tortuous that the Tories will start to split, again, over this and we will end up with another referendum where hopefully facts will overshadow the lies we had the first time round. £300m for the NHS. Bollocks.Immigration slashed. Bollocks.

The latest line from the Leavers is that this was a suggestion not a commitment:

https://twitter.com/IsabelOakeshott/status/828200628769939457

Which is imaginative, but what Single-Source Oakeshott forgets is that in fact Vote Leave published a Brexit framework (what you or I would call a manifesto) which unambiguously built in a bill for giving additional funding for the NHS:

http://www.voteleavetakecontrol.org/a_framework_for_taking_back_control_and_establishing_a_new_uk_eu_deal_after_23_june.html

"Legislation to be introduced in subsequent sessions will include:

National Health Service (Funding Target) Bill. This would require that by the next general election, the NHS receives a £100 million per week real-terms cash transfusion over and above current plans. This will be paid for by savings from the UK’s contributions to the EU budget and other savings from leaving (e.g. we will not pay the billions that the ECJ is ordering us to pay to multinational companies trying to avoid UK taxes)."

Not much of a suggestion about that.
    Cameron should have outlined what he intended to do in the event of Leave winning. In the absence of that, all the Leave campaigns could do was suggest what could be done
    Perhaps he should have appointed an official Leave Campaign which then produced an official Leave manifesto?
    When he couldn't even produce a realistic Remain manifesto? You give the idiot too much credit.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,062
    edited February 2017

Ladbrokes have new market up for the new West Of England Regional Mayor
    They have Lib Dem Stephen Williams former Bristol West MP as Evens Fav
    Cons 11/10
    Lab 7/1
    Greens 50/1
    UKIP 100/1

Sorry, silly post.
  • Options
    JobabobJobabob Posts: 3,807

Cons 11/10
    Lab 7/1
    Greens 50/1
    UKIP 100/1

What wil the West Of England Regional Mayor actually do? If he covers Cornwall I can see dispute after dispute.
    He doesn't – it's the Greater Bristol area. The reason that the mayoralty has a stupid name is that the parochial types in areas outside the City of Bristol objected to it being name after the core city. Pathetic as that might seem!
  • Options

Sean_F said:

MTimT said:

MTimT said:

Nothing says more about the sad state of the Labour Party than someone finding Emily Thornbury impressive.

That is the point where I stopped reading to scroll down and see who could have written such patent crap. No surprise ...
    Unrelated, I need your input on something America.

Would you say Texas is in just the South or in the Deep South?
    You make the mistake of thinking of Texas as being part of the United States.
    Texas is the Yorkshire of America.

Full of brilliant, intelligent, hard working, self effacing people who are the backbone of the country.
    Texas is Deep South in the sense of being part of the Confederacy, but also part of the Sunbelt, which is becoming better ground for the Democrats.
    I thought that Texas was classed as the southwest?
    This article I found quite interesting on the subject: https://fivethirtyeight.com/datalab/which-states-are-in-the-south/
  • Options
    tpfkartpfkar Posts: 1,548
    edited February 2017
    Sean Fear said:

tpfkar said:

TOPPING said:

isam said:

valleyboy said:

Cameron should have outlined what he intended to do in the event of Leave winning. In the absence of that, all the Leave campaigns could do was suggest what could be done
    Perhaps he should have appointed an official Leave Campaign which then produced an official Leave manifesto?
    The real mistake was the renegotiation. Simply doing that implied that the EU was unacceptable as it stood, and that he would make the difference. All this achieved was muzzling those in favour of our memberaship, allowing those opposed to ask for the impossible, and for him looking daft when he came home with some technical proposals that couldn't be sold.

Completely agree with that. The EU was a source of irritation and a long term concern but pretty far down my list of concerns in 2015. I agreed with almost all of what Cameron had said in his Bloomberg speech and hoped that the EU could be reformed to something closer to the UK's taste.

And then Cameron tried to negotiate some reforms. And it was embarrassing. And made it crystal clear that the bulk of the EU (or at least the bits that count) were completely committed to a path that I for one did not want to go down. It turned me from a very reluctant remainer into a leaver. It destroyed any hope that the EU might in future be a free trade organisation that left its members to get on with except to the extent that this caused market distortions.
    I think that sooner or later, Brexit would have taken place. Our relationship with the EU was transactional. No more than a relatively small proportion of the population had any emotional commitment to the organisation.
    I wouldn't have agreed with you on June 24th but do now - even as someone generally supportive of the EU I thought there would have been some more humility on such a great rebuff and some soul-searching about why they had been dumped. If there has been, it's been well-hidden. Had the referendum been 52:48 the other way, I can't imagine that we'd be seeing the phrase "the will of the people" on the pages of the Daily Mail or Brexiteer lips so much!
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,387

An expensive day for the Ukip MEP Jane Collins – the high court in London has ordered her to pay £54,000 each to three of Rotherham’s Labour MPs over a speech she made at the party’s 2014 conference about the town’s abuse scandal.

Collins, MEP for Yorkshire and North Lincolnshire said the MPs knew many of the details of the exploitation yet chose not to intervene, and instead acted on misplaced political correctness, the libel hearing heard.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/blog/live/2017/feb/06/may-to-meet-netanyahu-ahead-of-brexit-debate-in-commons-live-updates

Ouch. Add in 3 lots of costs (plus her own) and that is surely insolvency.
  • Options
    MarkSeniorMarkSenior Posts: 4,699

Cons 11/10
    Lab 7/1
    Greens 50/1
    UKIP 100/1

What wil the West Of England Regional Mayor actually do? If he covers Cornwall I can see dispute after dispute.
    It does not cover Cornwall , basically the old Avon region less NE Somerset . I agree it is another of this government's silly ideas perhaps not as bad as the original Norfolk/Suffolk regional mayor which has transmogrified into Cambs/Peterborough with neither Norfolk nor Suffolk included .
  • Options
    Jobabob said:

Cons 11/10
    Lab 7/1
    Greens 50/1
    UKIP 100/1

He doesn't – it's the Greater Bristol area. The reason that the mayoralty has a stupid name is that the parochial types in areas outside the City of Bristol objected to it being name after the core city. Pathetic as that might seem!
    Thanks; I’d been directed to the appropriate website so deleted the post you kindly answered. You’re right it is a misleading name!
  • Options
    AlsoIndigoAlsoIndigo Posts: 1,852
    Kkey said:

So Nigel Farage's friend Laure Ferrari it was who introduced him to Nicolas Dupont-Aignan. I love her French expressions:

"Et la mayonnaise a pris. Maintenant, ils sont comme cul et chemise avec Nigel Farage" s’amuse-t-elle.

They gelled, and now they get on with each other like a house on fire.

She says she also tried to bring about friendly relations (rapprochement) with the AfD. In the 2014 EU elections she topped the list in the Eastern region of France for Dupont-Aignan's Debout La Republique party, now called Debout La France, which she'd helped to shape for seven years.

Welcome.

Doesn't "ils sont comme cul et chemise" translate to the English expression "they are as thick as thieves" ? Which carries the implication that they might be up to no good together ;)
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,146

TOPPING said:

isam said:

valleyboy said:

Excellent Don. That is my hope as a fervent remoaner that negotiations will prove so tortuous that the Tories will start to split, again, over this and we will end up with another referendum where hopefully facts will overshadow the lies we had the first time round. £300m for the NHS. Bollocks.Immigration slashed. Bollocks.

The latest line from the Leavers is that this was a suggestion not a commitment:

https://twitter.com/IsabelOakeshott/status/828200628769939457

Which is imaginative, but what Single-Source Oakeshott forgets is that in fact Vote Leave published a Brexit framework (what you or I would call a manifesto) which unambiguously built in a bill for giving additional funding for the NHS:

http://www.voteleavetakecontrol.org/a_framework_for_taking_back_control_and_establishing_a_new_uk_eu_deal_after_23_june.html

"Legislation to be introduced in subsequent sessions will include:

National Health Service (Funding Target) Bill. This would require that by the next general election, the NHS receives a £100 million per week real-terms cash transfusion over and above current plans. This will be paid for by savings from the UK’s contributions to the EU budget and other savings from leaving (e.g. we will not pay the billions that the ECJ is ordering us to pay to multinational companies trying to avoid UK taxes)."

Not much of a suggestion about that.
    When he couldn't even produce a realistic Remain manifesto? You give the idiot too much credit.
    Dave did have a manifesto - his deal. It entailed never joining the Euro and an end to ever closer union. Thankfully it was defeated so now people like me are free to speak out again!
  • Options

Cons 11/10
    Lab 7/1
    Greens 50/1
    UKIP 100/1

It does not cover Cornwall , basically the old Avon region less NE Somerset . I agree it is another of this government's silly ideas perhaps not as bad as the original Norfolk/Suffolk regional mayor which has transmogrified into Cambs/Peterborough with neither Norfolk nor Suffolk included .
    Metro mayors are not a silly idea. They are a good idea. What is silly is the stupid name for the Greater Bristol mayoralty, thankfully avoided in Liverpool and Manchester, which are named after the core city.

Agreed that Cambs/Pboro is daft.

But Gtr Manchester and Gtr Liverpool make a lot of sense.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

An expensive day for the Ukip MEP Jane Collins – the high court in London has ordered her to pay £54,000 each to three of Rotherham’s Labour MPs over a speech she made at the party’s 2014 conference about the town’s abuse scandal.

Collins, MEP for Yorkshire and North Lincolnshire said the MPs knew many of the details of the exploitation yet chose not to intervene, and instead acted on misplaced political correctness, the libel hearing heard.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/blog/live/2017/feb/06/may-to-meet-netanyahu-ahead-of-brexit-debate-in-commons-live-updates

It's certainly a useful reminder of the importance of not flinging unfounded accusations around!
  • Options
    Blue_rogBlue_rog Posts: 2,019
    tpfkar said:

Sean Fear said:

tpfkar said:

TOPPING said:

isam said:

valleyboy said:

The real mistake was the renegotiation. Simply doing that implied that the EU was unacceptable as it stood, and that he would make the difference. All this achieved was muzzling those in favour of our memberaship, allowing those opposed to ask for the impossible, and for him looking daft when he came home with some technical proposals that couldn't be sold.

Completely agree with that. The EU was a source of irritation and a long term concern but pretty far down my list of concerns in 2015. I agreed with almost all of what Cameron had said in his Bloomberg speech and hoped that the EU could be reformed to something closer to the UK's taste.

And then Cameron tried to negotiate some reforms. And it was embarrassing. And made it crystal clear that the bulk of the EU (or at least the bits that count) were completely committed to a path that I for one did not want to go down. It turned me from a very reluctant remainer into a leaver. It destroyed any hope that the EU might in future be a free trade organisation that left its members to get on with except to the extent that this caused market distortions.
    I think that sooner or later, Brexit would have taken place. Our relationship with the EU was transactional. No more than a relatively small proportion of the population had any emotional commitment to the organisation.
    I wouldn't have agreed with you on June 24th but do now - even as someone generally supportive of the EU I thought there would have been some more humility on such a great rebuff and some soul-searching about why they had been dumped. If there has been, it's been well-hidden. Had the referendum been 52:48 the other way, I can't imagine that we'd be seeing the phrase "the will of the people" on the pages of the Daily Mail or Brexiteer lips so much!
    52:48 remain - shudder. I would imagine the pressure to sign up to some of the wackier EU ideas would now be building and then there would be the question of the budget! Oh yes, let's not forget accepting our 'quota' of Merkel's invitees
  • Options

Cons 11/10
    Lab 7/1
    Greens 50/1
    UKIP 100/1

See my post earlier, and thanks for putting me straight. The BBC’s Eastern local news has been salivating over the mayoralty for month.
    Is there a Mayoral suggestion for Essex, does anyone know?
  • Options
    MarkSeniorMarkSenior Posts: 4,699
    Jobabob said:

Cons 11/10
    Lab 7/1
    Greens 50/1
    UKIP 100/1

Metro mayors are not a silly idea. They are a good idea. What is silly is the stupid name for the Greater Bristol mayoralty, thankfully avoided in Liverpool and Manchester, which are named after the core city.

I agree !!!!!
  • Options

I know someone in UKIP in South Yorkshire quite well, he gets continually frustrated by top Kippers over this.

He said they always act like like

1) all Pakistani heritage people are paedos, which contrasts starkly with the experiences of people who actually live in Rotherham

2) Paedophilia/child abuse only began in this country with immigration

3) Sex crimes have never been covered up in this country until Rotherham, ignoring the events in the Catholic church, Jimmy Savile et al.

It also sounded a lot like the EDL protestors that came to Rotherham, who then buggered off when the locals ignored/told them to feck off.

Even after one of the victims told UKIP to stop stirring, they kept on with it.

Perhaps this might help UKIP to do better in Rotherham/South Yorkshire.
  • Options

Kkey said:

So Nigel Farage's friend Laure Ferrari it was who introduced him to Nicolas Dupont-Aignan. I love her French expressions:

"Et la mayonnaise a pris. Maintenant, ils sont comme cul et chemise avec Nigel Farage" s’amuse-t-elle.

They gelled, and now they get on with each other like a house on fire.

She says she also tried to bring about friendly relations (rapprochement) with the AfD. In the 2014 EU elections she topped the list in the Eastern region of France for Dupont-Aignan's Debout La Republique party, now called Debout La France, which she'd helped to shape for seven years.

Welcome.

Doesn't "ils sont comme cul et chemise" translate to the English expression "they are as thick as thieves" ? Which carries the implication that they might be up to no good together ;)
    When has Nigel ever been up to ‘good’? Alone or in cahoots with anyone else.
  • Options

Jobabob said:

Cons 11/10
    Lab 7/1
    Greens 50/1
    UKIP 100/1

I agree !!!!!
    Ah okay!
  • Options
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    tpfkar said:

No you would have heard it on the lips of Eurocrats instead every time we grumbled about their latest wheeze. They would have asked us what we were grumbling about since being in the EU was clearly the will of the people, and by implication the people clearly approved of every and all things EU.

The speech from Tusk last week was breathtaking in its arrogance, it was a straight down the line harder, faster, more Europe, more integration, more EU foreign policy etc. Which completely destroys and remaining credibility of the people that tried to suggest there was a status quo element in Remaining. There were only ever two options, leaving, or staying with the program of ever closer union - the words not being in an documents as per Cameron's renegotiation is fatuous when we would have been surrendering competences to an expanding EU foreign ministry amongst others.
  • Options
    Blue_rog said:

tpfkar said:

Sean Fear said:

tpfkar said:

TOPPING said:

isam said:

valleyboy said:

The real mistake was the renegotiation. Simply doing that implied that the EU was unacceptable as it stood, and that he would make the difference. All this achieved was muzzling those in favour of our membership, allowing those opposed to ask for the impossible, and for him looking daft when he came home with some technical proposals that couldn't be sold.

I think that sooner or later, Brexit would have taken place. Our relationship with the EU was transactional. a relatively small proportion of the population had any emotional commitment to the organisation.
    52:48 remain - shudder. I would imagine the pressure to sign up to some of the wackier EU ideas would now be building and then there would be the question of the budget! Oh yes, let's not forget accepting our 'quota' of Merkel's invitees
    Nah, there would have been no legal or political basis for any of that (apart from the budget, although that's actually one area we have had some success in.) There would be no way that any treaty change would have got through the UK (both the Tory gvt and the 2011 referendum lock act) so it really would have been status quo for some years. What I think you would have had would have been a UKIP surge from angry Tories, instead of the Lib Dem surge from angry Tories (and fed up Labourites.)
  • Options
    Wow, the Referendum generated a lot more freedom than I realised.

We had Nick P having the freedom to voice his true left politics and now william glenn free to voice his never ending love affair with everything EU

Only one more freedom to be stated and we'll have our own 4 freedoms of Brexit :lol:
  • Options
    Blue_rog said:

tpfkar said:

Sean Fear said:

tpfkar said:

TOPPING said:

isam said:

valleyboy said:

With a 52:48 Remain vote, by now we'd have seen strong moves to join the euro and sign up to Schengen.
  • Options
    Hmmm okay

Brexit is an opportunity to reverse the tragic decline of marriage in Britain

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/02/06/brexit-opportunity-reverse-tragic-decline-marriage-britain/
  • Options

With a 52:48 Remain vote, by now we'd have seen strong moves to join the euro and sign up to Schengen.

This is such paranoid nonsense. With a 52:48 Remain vote Cameron would have still been PM and he based his campaign on never joining the Euro. As for Schengen, there was never any pressure for us to join it and we could stick with the other EU borderless zone, the CTA, indefinitely.
  • Options
    tpfkar said:

Blue_rog said:

tpfkar said:

Sean Fear said:

tpfkar said:

TOPPING said:

isam said:

valleyboy said:

The real mistake was the renegotiation. Simply doing that implied that the EU was unacceptable as it stood, and that he would make the difference. All this achieved was muzzling those in favour of our membership, allowing those opposed to ask for the impossible, and for him looking daft when he came home with some technical proposals that couldn't be sold.

I think that sooner or later, Brexit would have taken place. Our relationship with the EU was transactional. a relatively small proportion of the population had any emotional commitment to the organisation.
    Nah, there would have been no legal or political basis for any of that (apart from the budget, although that's actually one area we have had some success in.) There would be no way that any treaty change would have got through the UK (both the Tory gvt and the 2011 referendum lock act) so it really would have been status quo for some years. What I think you would have had would have been a UKIP surge from angry Tories, instead of the Lib Dem surge from angry Tories (and fed up Labourites.)
    I thought it was said many times that the Lisbon treaty would be the last for many years. All the changes would be made without needing a treaty change or new treaty
  • Options

What a load of nonsense. We were actually in a very good position: out of Schengen, out of the Euro, out of the residency directive, out of a lot of the justice stuff, out of ever-closer union, the City protected against Eurozone hegemony, and - and this is the crucial bit - all of this formally accepted by all participants, for the first time ever. Effectively, we would have become an associate member but with full voting rights and with treaty protection.

Too late now, of course, but the irony is that we'd actually got pretty much the ideal arrangement, with the one (admittedly important) proviso that we were stuck with freedom of movement. Our Eurozone friends would have got on with their closer integration without involving us.
  • Options
    So basically foreign manufacturers who largely produce cars for the US market in the US do well and those who have relied upon imports from Mexico or Canada get thumped? Whatever the merits of these anti-free trade policies is that not rather the point?

The BMW decision to go ahead with their Mexico factory must be causing them a fair amount of angst.
  • Options

Blue_rog said:

tpfkar said:

Sean Fear said:

tpfkar said:

TOPPING said:

isam said:

valleyboy said:

Not in a hundred years. Is there anyone other than the most hardcore Leaver saying this, or any evidence for it? Can you imagine what would have happened had Cameron lost his mind and decided either or these were a good idea, following a 52:48 vote? This really is leaver fantasy land.
  • Options
    VerulamiusVerulamius Posts: 1,438
    The statutory instrument detailing the voting system for the combined authority mayors has been finalised.

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2017/67/contents/made

• Options

What a load of nonsense. We were actually in a very good position: out of Schengen, out of the Euro, out of the residency directive, out of a lot of the justice stuff, out of ever-closer union, the City protected against Eurozone hegemony, and - and this is the crucial bit - all of this formally accepted by all participants, for the first time ever. Effectively, we would have become an associate member but with full voting rights and with treaty protection.
    If you really believe all that would have survived for 5 minutes beyond a Remain vote I've got a bridge to sell you.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited February 2017
    Patrick said:

If you really believe all that would have survived for 5 minutes beyond a Remain vote I've got a bridge to sell you.
    Well, put it this way - it's a hell of lot more plausible than the nonsense about trade deals which some Leavers seem to have bought into.

And a zillion times more plausible than the suggestion that we'd somehow (how?) be forced into Schengen and the Euro!
  • Options

tpfkar said:

No you would have heard it on the lips of Eurocrats instead every time we grumbled about their latest wheeze. They would have asked us what we were grumbling about since being in the EU was clearly the will of the people, and by implication the people clearly approved of every and all things EU.

The speech from Tusk last week was breathtaking in its arrogance, it was a straight down the line harder, faster, more Europe, more integration, more EU foreign policy etc. Which completely destroys and remaining credibility of the people that tried to suggest there was a status quo element in Remaining. There were only ever two options, leaving, or staying with the program of ever closer union - the words not being in an documents as per Cameron's renegotiation is fatuous when we would have been surrendering competences to an expanding EU foreign ministry amongst others.
    I can't argue with you on the arrogance of Tusks speech, but the idea that we'd have being doing any of that after a 52:48 remain vote is for the birds.
  • Options
    Mr. Nabavi, yet the eurozone had a QMV critical mass and there's no doubt the EU wanted dominion over financial regulation.

I agree Schengen/the single currency would not be on the agenda but plenty of other stuff would be, and I don't believe for a moment that 'ever closer union' would've been halted.
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    tpfkar said:

The referendum lock is a joke, it has so many ways for minister to avoid it that it can be considered optional to all intents and purposes.

In anycase there would be no need to pass a new treaty, we have been recently exercises by Article 50 of the Lisbon Treaty, but Article 48 is much more interesting in many ways, the so called passarelle clauses, which allow the terms of the Treaty to be amended without a new Treaty, just with consent of governments and the EU parliament, but without triggering the referendum lock act.
  • Options
    edited February 2017

Mr. Nabavi, yet the eurozone had a QMV critical mass and there's no doubt the EU wanted dominion over financial regulation.

Indeed, which is precisely why the renegotiation deal was so important.

Anyway, too late now. Unlike Leavers, who seem completely obsessed with going over old ground, I accept that we are where we are. Better try to make the most of it, and mitigate the damage. With luck the economic hit won't be too bad, but there's still a very substantial risk that it will be, most notably if MPs try to stick their oar into what already is a fantastically difficult negotiation, or if the EU can't actually agree amongst themselves a deal which is in their own interests. The latter is the biggest risk of all.
  • Options

I agree Schengen/the single currency would not be on the agenda but plenty of other stuff would be, and I don't believe for a moment that 'ever closer union' would've been halted.

QMV cannot under any circumstances be used to acquire new powers that are not already there in the treaties.
  • Options

Too late now, of course, but the irony is that we'd actually got pretty much the ideal arrangement, with the one (admittedly important) proviso that we were stuck with freedom of movement. Our Eurozone friends would have got on with their closer integration without involving us.
    Do you actually, genuinely, believe that we were "out of ever-closer union"?
  • Options

Anyway, too late now. Unlike Leavers, who seem completely obsessed with going over old ground, I accept that we are where we are. Better try to make the most of it, and mitigate the damage. With luck the economic hit won't be too bad, but there's still a very substantial risk that it will be, most notably if MPs try to stick their oar into what already is a fantastically difficult negotiation, or if the EU can't actually agree amongst themselves a deal which is in their own interests. The latter is the biggest risk of all.
    Like button pressed.
  • Options

Patrick said:

Well, put it this way - it's a hell of lot more plausible than the nonsense about trade deals which some Leavers seem to have bought into.

And a zillion times more plausible than the suggestion that we'd somehow (how?) be forced into Schengen and the Euro!
    You're thinking in short timescales. I'm not. Sure on day 1 after Remain we'd still be out of the Euro. But what about when we next have a Gordon Brown in No.10? Or a coalition? The EU is a very patient one way ratchet. Nothing ever comes back and any tiny advance of federalism is banked and locked down. Sooner or later the establishment would have found a way to sell us some snake oil. And, just like Gordon Brown with Lisbon, they'd do it without asking for your permission and mine. Your post implies you have some trust in the EU machine. I have precisely none.
  • Options
    Patrick said:

Patrick said:

You're thinking in short timescales. I'm not. Sure on day 1 after Remain we'd still be out of the Euro. But what about when we next have a Gordon Brown in No.10? Or a coalition? The EU is a very patient one way ratchet. Nothing ever comes back and any tiny advance of federalism is banked and locked down. Sooner or later the establishment would have found a way to sell us some snake oil. And, just like Gordon Brown with Lisbon, they'd do it without asking for your permission and mine. Your post implies you have some trust in the EU machine. I have precisely none.
    Like button pressed :grin:
  • Options

This is indeed where we all need to focus. The spilt milk brigade are irrelevant. I completely agree that finding someone in the EU that can say yes is going to be the hardest part. And they haven't even asked Wallonia yet!
  • Options
    edited February 2017

Except it was all unenforceable bollocks. Ask the Danes.

The Danes were in exactly the same position before, when they rejected Maastricht there was a deal done in the CoE, and an agreement signed by all members, which made promises to the Danes and got them to approve Maastricht in a second referendum. Those promises have since been held to be contrary to the treaties and struck down by the ECJ.

Agreements in the Council of Europe are not part of the Treaties, the CJEU rules only in accordance with the treaties. The first time someone took the government to the CJEU over the emergency brake it would have lost on the basis of unlawful discrimination against citizens of another member state.
  • Options
    Mr. Nabavi, I remain unpersuaded the 'deal' was worth a damn.

Mr. Glenn, perhaps that's what it says. But, to be concise, I simply don't trust the EU.

If it had been an economic bloc with no political aspirations then it'd have 85%+ support. But the people of this country don't want to see sovereignty leeched away.
  • Options

This is such paranoid nonsense. With a 52:48 Remain vote Cameron would have still been PM and he based his campaign on never joining the Euro. As for Schengen, there was never any pressure for us to join it and we could stick with the other EU borderless zone, the CTA, indefinitely.
    Given that many of the Schengen nations are now (notionally temporarily) out of Schengen Three Quidder's argument that we would have been forced into it is certainly on of the more 'interesting' views I have seen on PB over the years.

No wonder Leave won – if even ostensibly intelligent people believe this sort of guff no wonder the millions of less bright individuals in the country bought it too.
  • Options

Of course. Not only was that explicit in the agreement, but, more importantly, things had moved on politically. The huge sea-change was the slow realisation amongst our EU friends that we were never, ever going to be part of The Project. For years they'd convinced themselves that we were, just a bit more slowly than the core. The natural and obvious answer, which made political, administrative and economic sense, was to concentrate ever-closer union on the Eurozone.
  • Options
    rpjsrpjs Posts: 3,787

tlg86 said:

Pulpstar said:

What no thread on the greatest superbowl? Biased failing media...just because the Trumpian Patriots won.

As a rugby union fan, I just can't do a thread on American football.

All that padding and protection, it makes a worse spectacle than rugby league.
    Seconded. I happened to be up feeding the baby during the fourth quarter and watched it through to full time. Impressive skills and athleticism but it's still a fundamentally boring and repetitive game. Couldn't be bothered with overtime.

And time-outs? Are these designed to just slow everything down and dissipate away any excitement that might have built to that point?
    Time-outs are for icing the kicker.
    The "protection", specifically the helmets I'm quite sure makes the game actually more dangerous long term specifically with regards to brain injury.
    And there is nothing more boring in the whole of sport than a scrum that takes five minutes, I say that as someone who watches union.
    Agreed, the Super Bowl goes on a bit too long, but I prefer American football to rugby.
    Ugh, are you even British?
    "Armored[sic] Rugby" is what I call American football.
  • Options
    edited February 2017

Of course. Not only was that explicit in the agreement, but, more importantly, things had moved on politically. The huge sea-change was the slow realisation amongst our EU friends that we were never, ever going to be part of The Project. For years they'd convinced themselves that we were, just a bit more slowly than the core. The natural and obvious answer, which made political, administrative and economic sense, was to concentrate ever-closer union on the Eurozone.
    So you didn't read Tusk's speech last week then ? And the level of general approval with which it was met in other European capitals ?
  • Options

This credulousness is quite out of character from you. The agreement was meaningless (qv the Danish agreement to get Maastricht forced through) and, in the real world, the EU would have taken a Remain vote as a vote of confidence in the Project.
  • Options

If it had been an economic bloc with no political aspirations then it'd have 85%+ support. But the people of this country don't want to see sovereignty leeched away.

We left an economic block with no political aspirations in the 70s because successive British governments judged that it wasn't working for us. They were right then, just as remaining in the EU is right for Britain now.

All the referendums in the world can't change geopolitical facts.
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    Patrick said:

Your post implies you have some trust in the EU machine. I have precisely none.

My post implies nothing of the sort. There was simply no mechanism. A Treaty is a Treaty.

Of course, some future UK government could have signed us up to Schengen or the Euro. That would have been the UK's choice, and no-one else's. For that matter, if we'd voted Remain, some future UK government could still have taken us out of the EU, and after Brexit, some future UK government will still be able to reapply for the full Monty: Euro, Schengen and all.
  • Options
    edited February 2017

So you didn't read Tusk's speech last week then ? And the level of general approval with which it was met in other European capitals ?

Of course, Brexit and Trump between them will promote closer union amongst our EU friends, without having to worry about us.

So what?
  • Options

Of course, Brexit and Trump between them will promote closer union amongst our EU friends, without having to worry about us.

So what?
    What you're missing is that to the frother Eurosceptic, anything that promotes closer European partnership is by definition a bad thing, even if it is to the benefit of the British people.
  • Options
    Mr. Nabavi, jein. Labour promised a referendum on Lisbon, won an election, then reneged. There was no democratic comeback or accountability or way to stop that (for some reason the millionaire judicial enthusiasts didn't feel like taking it to court). We joined Lisbon, without a vote, contrary to Labour's manifesto.
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341

We left an economic block with no political aspirations in the 70s because successive British governments judged that it wasn't working for us. They were right then, just as remaining in the EU is right for Britain now.

The 1970s have been and gone.

In 1980, the much smaller EU was 30% of the global economy. Once we leave it will be 12% at most.

• Options

Mr. Nabavi, jein. Labour promised a referendum on Lisbon, won an election, then reneged. There was no democratic comeback or accountability or way to stop that (for some reason the millionaire judicial enthusiasts didn't feel like taking it to court). We joined Lisbon, without a vote, contrary to Labour's manifesto.

No doubt, when he is PM, Tim Farron will take us back in!
  • Options

So what?
    What you're missing is that to the frother Eurosceptic, anything that promotes closer European partnership is by definition a bad thing, even if it is to the benefit of the British people.
    What you are missing is that to frother Europhiles, anything that promotes leaving the European partnership is by definition a bad thing, even if is has been explicitly voted for it in a referendum which was the largest democratic mandate given to any political action since the war.
  • Options

They promised a referendum on the European Constitution which then got killed off by other countries. Twisting facts to suit your narrative doesn't paint you in a good light.
  • Options

No doubt, when he is PM, Tim Farron will take us back in!
    Pretty sure it will be in his manifesto ;)
  • Options
    edited February 2017

They promised a referendum on the European Constitution which then got killed off by other countries. Twisting facts to suit your narrative doesn't paint you in a good light.
    Aside from the title, what was different ? Trying to gloss over blatant slight of hand tricks doesn't paint you in a good light either.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

She has been abysmally advised, is utterly stupid or its a combination of both. As soon as legal action was threatened she should have been running a mile as there is absolutely no way the MPs would have proceeded on this if they were not totally in the clear.

• Options
    Mr. Glenn, don't be a tinker. Fiddling with the font size, changing the title and reordering a few paragraphs is a pretence of change.

Mr. Nabavi, spare us the nightmarish madness!
  • Options
    There was simply no mechanism. A Treaty is a Treaty.
    Neville Chamberalain had a treaty to guarantee peace in his time. You're too credulous.

to the frother Eurosceptic, anything that promotes closer European partnership is by definition a bad thing
    Frother and proud. It's been our foreign policy for 500 years to stop a single power emerging on the continent - as that way lies repression and serfdom. I do indeed believe that a U.S.E. is a very bad thing for us and for its own disempowered serfs.
  • Options
    Incidentally, just 9 days until my next book (well, short story in an anthology) is unleashed: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Journeys-John-Gwynne-ebook/dp/B01MUCON9Q/

Because I love the EU so much* it's got a Polish flavour.

*By which I mean The Witcher 3, obviously.
  • Options
    chestnut said:

The 1970s have been and gone.

In 1980, the much smaller EU was 30% of the global economy. Once we leave it will be 12% at most.
    That globalisation is an argument for abandoning domestic political structures is among the most wrong-headed propositions I've ever heard.
  • Options
    Patrick said:

There was simply no mechanism. A Treaty is a Treaty.
    Neville Chamberalain had a treaty to guarantee peace in his time. You're too credulous.

That's a fair candidate for the most bonkers remark of the year, against admittedly strong competition.
  • Options

The Danes were in exactly the same position before, when they rejected Maastricht there was a deal done in the CoE, and an agreement signed by all members, which made promises to the Danes and got them to approve Maastricht in a second referendum. Those promises have since been held to be contrary to the treaties and struck down by the ECJ.

Agreements in the Council of Europe are not part of the Treaties, the CJEU rules only in accordance with the treaties. The first time someone took the government to the CJEU over the emergency brake it would have lost on the basis of unlawful discrimination against citizens of another member state.
    Out of curiosity what case did the Danes lose and on what?

My understanding was that the Edinburgh Agreement which was what the Danes agreed had been not only honoured but the bulk of it was then included in the Amsterdam Treaty next time the Treaties were updated.
  • Options
    Patrick said:

Frother and proud. It's been our foreign policy for 500 years to stop a single power emerging on the continent - as that way lies repression and serfdom. I do indeed believe that a U.S.E. is a very bad thing for us and for its own disempowered serfs.

If that's how you feel then advocating Brexit is positively moronic since you help bring about the very thing you most fear.
  • Options
    This may be of interest to others here as it's a mish-mash story of criminal behaviour, gambling and videogames:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-38879969

Not a fan of how much of videogames is developing, as regards micro-transactions. This sort of gambling is not something I know much about because I hardly ever buy DLC (going to get The Witcher 3's one day) and these games aren't my thing either.
  • Options
    Ah well the comments from the last hour or so have kept the temperature up until the global hot air device that is the Brexit debate in the HoC starts :lol:
  • Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,853

Pro_Rata said:

On topic: My current, somewhat conflicted and conflicting, position on Brexit:

Plan A has to be to make Brexit succeed, in line with the referendum.

Snip

Options for a Remain rearguard should be prepared for as a plan B, but only for the event that the economic and/or geopolitical environment becomes very hostile come the end of A50 negotiations and public attitude to Brexit has changed as a result.

Assuming Article 50 is enacted somewhen in March as expected, there are one of four possible outcomes

1) We do a deal with the EU27 and leave
    2) We dont do a deal with the EU27 and leave to WTO terms
    3) The CJEU rules that we can reverse Art 50, and at some point we chicken out and do so
    4) We dont do a deal and persuade all the other 27 to extend the negotiating period

Snip

Anyone who thinks BrExit is going to be a disaster should follow Napoleon's maxim, largely because they can't do much to improve it and might just end up carrying the can for it.
    I suspect legally that A50 is more likely to be revocable than not, but you are correct that (3) is not an easy ask politically even if I am right on that, which is why it needs to be contingency planned / plotted now. There are 3 ways we could 'chicken out':

(1) May's government chickens out and calls a second referendum. There is a political price to be paid somewhere down the line, and as you say there could also be an argument that the UK has negotiated in bad faith.

(2) There is an internal challenge to May from remainer Tories, and a new leader revokes. In extremis this could happen, but it is difficult to envisage the extremes needed to turn the Tory base without also turning May.

(3) A vote of confidence removes May as PM. Very, very hard but just about possible with parliament as it stands. It might require at least a few Tory MPs to either vote against their own government or resign their seats at the key moment. An attempt to form a new government would preceed any GE, and it is then just possible a cross-party caretaker Remain government could be pulled together for a short-time on the sole platform of a second referendum and revocation. The difficulty would be how Tories can accede to this in an environment where their well would be seriously poisoned, perhaps the best that can be hoped for is that a few of them, having been loyal to that point, abstain from bringing the new government down.

Every one of these paths is fraught, (1) is largely out of Remainers' hands, (3) needs a lot of strands to come together, but can be planned, and (2) is almost inconceivable.

Quite apart from respect for the referendum result itself, the difficulty is why it will need extreme circumstances to drive an attempt at reversal.
  • Options

DavidL said:

She has been abysmally advised, is utterly stupid or its a combination of both. As soon as legal action was threatened she should have been running a mile as there is absolutely no way the MPs would have proceeded on this if they were not totally in the clear.

The Venetian Blind case???????
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    edited February 2017

Patrick said:

If that's how you feel then advocating Brexit is positively moronic since you help bring about the very thing you most fear.
    Not really we show by example now that there is nothing to fear being outside the nascent state. If we thrive outside then others can follow.
  • Options

Patrick said:

I would MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH rather that they form a U.S.E. with us on the outside than that we stay in.
    And...I flatly disagree. I think Brexit is alot more likely to embolden the sceptics elsewhere in the EU. Their elites are digging in. The people...not so much.
  • Options
    Blue_rog said:

Ah well the comments from the last hour or so have kept the temperature up until the global hot air device that is the Brexit debate in the HoC starts :lol:

Quite a good warm up on a cold day!
  • Options
    "She says there was an agreement that there should be an early reciprocal agreement on the rights of EU nationals in the UK, and of Britons on the continent. That is why a unilateral declaration from the UK would be a bad idea, she says."

As soon as please May
  • Options
    So true.

Six Nations is in rude health thanks to airing of national antagonisms

The tournament has the world’s highest average attendance and full stadiums reflect a chance to indulge in idle chauvinism as much as the quality of rugby

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2017/feb/06/six-nations-full-stadiums-national-antagonisms
  • Options
    edited February 2017

Out of curiosity what case did the Danes lose and on what?

My understanding was that the Edinburgh Agreement which was what the Danes agreed had been not only honoured but the bulk of it was then included in the Amsterdam Treaty next time the Treaties were updated.
    @Philip_Thompson

The Danes had an agreement that EU Citizenship would not replace National Citizenship, and that National Law alone would determine if a person possessed national citizenship. It was initially struck down by the CJEU in this ruling, but has been confirmed in many others:

http://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-content/EN/TXT/?qid=1443963656228&uri=CELEX:61999CJ0184

There was a research document done by VLTC on it, give me a minute I will see if I can find it

EDIT: The full briefing is at the bottom of this summary, seems it was 79 times.
    http://www.voteleavetakecontrol.org/the_79_times_that_the_ecj_has_ignored_the_danish_renegotiation.html
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,798
    And if we hadn't effed up our carrier procurement, we could have had this:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rOijb3JPCe4
  • Options
    rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,920
    edited February 2017

DavidL said:

Apparently she tried to claim immunity as an MEP.... Guess that didnt work out so well.
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981

So what?
    http://mobile.reuters.com/article/worldNews/idUSKBN15I2WX

3 feb 2017

After a summit in Malta at which all national leaders discussed plans for a formal declaration in March on the future of the bloc following Britain's departure, Merkel and others offered endorsements of a so-called "multispeed Europe", which some governments fear could damage EU unity in the wake of Brexit.

French President Francois Hollande said he thought that the Rome statement could mention "several speeds" as a possible way forward, though he stressed: "European unity is essential."

In a reminder of divisions in the bloc, Hollande, who will step down in May, took a dig at East European states which Paris complains fail to honor commitments -- such as taking in asylum-seekers -- while accepting big subsidies from Brussels:

"Europe isn't a cash-box, not a self-service restaurant, a Europe where you come and take what you need, where you take your structural funds or get access to the internal market and then show no solidarity at all in return," he told reporters.

"Europe was built to be stronger together and it's that rule, that principle, which should be driven home in March."

"Multi-speed" is clearly the agreed euphemism to cover the fact that the 27 are as united as a herd of cats. A U.S.E. is fantasy. Contrary to Hollande's quoted words a free buffet, where each diner takes what he wants and leaves what he doesn't, and Germany and France pick up the tab, is exactly what is contemplated. Does anyone really think that nations which fall short on their 2% contributions to Nato are going to cough up for a European defence force?
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,967
    rkrkrk said:

DavidL said:

Apparently she tried to claim immunity as an MEP.... Guess that didnt work out so well.
    I expect the Judge gave that argument very short shrift. I wonder if she represented herself.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,144

BBC reporting that Nigel Farage has moved out of the family home, and, says his wife, ‘it suits everyone’.

"well, there were three of us in this marriage" said his wife, looking daggers at the prominent picture of Donald Trump on the mantelpiece....
  • Options
    Yoons definitely not crapping it at the prospect of Indy ref II. No siree.

'Jill Stephenson: ‘No’ means no, I’m not a traitor to Scotland

Momentous change requires unequivocal endorsement. The conditions for any future referendum should include the requirement that at least 60 per cent of the vote be cast for major change before it can be contemplated.'

http://tinyurl.com/hxwasfh

• Options
    Ishmael_Z said:

So what?

3 feb 2017

After a summit in Malta at which all national leaders discussed plans for a formal declaration in March on the future of the bloc following Britain's departure, Merkel and others offered endorsements of a so-called "multispeed Europe", which some governments fear could damage EU unity in the wake of Brexit.

French President Francois Hollande said he thought that the Rome statement could mention "several speeds" as a possible way forward, though he stressed: "European unity is essential."

In a reminder of divisions in the bloc, Hollande, who will step down in May, took a dig at East European states which Paris complains fail to honor commitments -- such as taking in asylum-seekers -- while accepting big subsidies from Brussels:

"Europe isn't a cash-box, not a self-service restaurant, a Europe where you come and take what you need, where you take your structural funds or get access to the internal market and then show no solidarity at all in return," he told reporters.

"Europe was built to be stronger together and it's that rule, that principle, which should be driven home in March."

"Multi-speed" is clearly the agreed euphemism to cover the fact that the 27 are as united as a herd of cats. A U.S.E. is fantasy. Contrary to Hollande's quoted words a free buffet, where each diner takes what he wants and leaves what he doesn't, and Germany and France pick up the tab, is exactly what is contemplated. Does anyone really think that nations which fall short on their 2% contributions to Nato are going to cough up for a European defence force?
    Multi-speed, of course, still implies a common destination.
  • Options
    rkrkrk said:

DavidL said:

Whose damn silly idea was that? She didn’t even the protection of making her statement in the Parliament.
  • Options
    In other news, Ryanair claim to be "too nice"...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-38878088
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,072
    Nigelb said:

And if we hadn't effed up our carrier procurement, we could have had this:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rOijb3JPCe4

Yes, we too could be firing test weights off our uncommissioned carrier. ;)

The US EMALS system also has some rather significant problems that have existed for some time. They'll almost certainly fix them, but they haven't tested fixes so far. Which is odd, given the length of time the project has been ongoing.

http://www.dote.osd.mil/pub/reports/FY2016/pdf/navy/2016cvn78.pdf

We also developed our own prototype EMAL system - EMKIT, which was to become a 'proper' sysrem called EMCAT. The MOD then decided that US system was less risky.

http://www.thinkdefence.co.uk/2014/05/whatever-happened-emcat/

• Options

Ishmael_Z said:

So what?

3 feb 2017

If it's on parallel lines, it implies never meeting up at the same destination.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,990
    nunu said:
    I thought the Eurozone had only just got back to 2008 levels, while the US and UK were quite a bit bigger?
  • Options
    Ishmael_Z said:

Ishmael_Z said:

So what?

3 feb 2017

If it's on parallel lines, it implies never meeting up at the same destination.
    One way or another, I'm gonna get EU...
  • Options
    reuters: BREAKING NEWS:
    France's Fillon apologizes to French people, says it was an error of judgement regarding the employment of family members.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,072

Ishmael_Z said:

So what?

3 feb 2017

No. If it was multi-velocity it would imply there was a direction (vector) involved. Even then, those vectors might be converging, diverging, or parallel. Speed is oblivious of direction.
  • Options
    Ishmael_Z said:

reuters: BREAKING NEWS:
    France's Fillon apologizes to French people, says it was an error of judgement regarding the employment of family members.

Fair enough. Could still win I think.
  • Options
    Mr. Better, Fillon's price on Ladbrokes has declined from 8 a day or two ago, to 7 this morning, and now 5.
  • Options
    RecidivistRecidivist Posts: 4,679

But the treaty that the promised referendum was to be held on had already been rejected in France and another country (Holland?). So it was an example of how democracy works in the EU. Not perfect, but until we sort out the House of Lords we are not in much of a position to feel superior.
This discussion has been closed.