Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » When Corbyn first became leader he said winning back would be

Comments

• Options
    malcolmg said:

Ruth Davidson seems to be succeeding in creating a distinct Scottish Tory brand, that is more centrist and detached from Westminster, and more closely resembles the Unionist Party of the 50s and 60s.

That opens up quite a few options for seat targeting in the Scottish borders and highlands. If she's very lucky, perhaps even a couple of suburban middle-class seats in Edinburgh and Glasgow too, like Edinburgh South-West and East Renfrewshire come into play too.

Interestingly, the Liberal Democrats are going precisely nowhere in Scotland.

Utter bollox
    Because you do not wish it to be so, or do you have some actual evidence?

Do you think on current polling numbers the Scottish Tories will gain precisely nothing?
  • Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503
    I see the sap is rising on PB and love is, as ever when we discuss Scotland, in the air.

Poor Labour. They're just blundering about in a field of rakes. I can't think of anything we can point to that's going well for them. Though having said that, Lisa Nandy is making all the right noises recently. Started paying a lot more attention to her.
  • Options
    alex.alex. Posts: 4,658
    malcolmg said:

HYUFD said:

malcolmg said:

HYUFD said:

malcolmg said:

HYUFD said:

malcolmg said:

HYUFD said:

I've heard much talk on here of the SNP honeymoon being over. Anyone got a rough date, or year even, just for betting purposes like?

So that's a no then.
    Well given the SNP lost their majority at Holyrood last year and on this poll are seeing a swing from them to the Tories at Westminster I would say it is now clearly over. In fact May is presently enjoying more of a honeymoon than the SNP. That does not mean they will stop being the largest party in Scotland anytime soon but the Scottish electorate's love affair with Salmond and Sturgeon is clearly over
    Given SNP are 10 years into government and May is a month , that seems a fatuous comparison.
    May is now over 6 months in government, the Tories 7 years in power
    and still hated in Scotland just as much if not more
    Neither May nor Davidson are hated in Scotland as this poll proves
    It proves nothing , they have 1 MP and a handful of MSP's and a few best losers on list, that proves how highly they are thought of. They are not trusted to run a bath.
    They now have 31 MSPs which is more than a handful
    They achieve nothing , get laughed out of the place week in and week out. Almost all their places are jobsworths from the list , talentless nohopers. I could hardly name 5 Tory MSP's and I am interested in politics, most people would struggle beyond two, invisible nonentities.
    Just out of interest, how many SNP MSPs can you name (excluding those in ministerial posts)?
  • Options
    calumcalum Posts: 3,046
    Per Scotland Votes WM model - this poll = SNP 54 / SCON 4 / SLID 1 / SLAB 0 !!
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    HYUFD said:

27% for the Conservatives in Scotland probably overstates their position a little , 23-24% is more likely but the May local elections will give a better idea . Unless their vote becomes less flat they will only end up with 5/6 Parliamentary seats at best .

Based on this poll the Tories would win Berwickshire, Roxburgh and Selkirk, Dumfries and Galloway and Aberdeenshire West and Kincardine from the SNP and have a shot at Perth and North Perthshire and Moray and Edinburgh South would be neck and neck with Labour. However those seat gains could offset any losses to the LDs in South West London and seats like Lewes and Bath. If they then gain some seats from Labour in England and Wales May could increase her majority overall
    On the basisof today's Opinium poll the Tories could lose 14 seats to Labour in England & Wales.
  • Options

I don't believe the EU referendum was as as profoundly felt by as many people in the UK as the independence referendum was in Scotland.

Well as OGH kept reminding us nobody cared about Europe. That just manifested itself on a different way than we all expected so the biggest reaction most people seemed to have over the result was shock rather than tears. I think the genuinely upset are a tiny proportion of the population.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,187
    edited February 2017
    justin124 said:

HYUFD said:

27% for the Conservatives in Scotland probably overstates their position a little , 23-24% is more likely but the May local elections will give a better idea . Unless their vote becomes less flat they will only end up with 5/6 Parliamentary seats at best .

Based on this poll the Tories would win Berwickshire, Roxburgh and Selkirk, Dumfries and Galloway and Aberdeenshire West and Kincardine from the SNP and have a shot at Perth and North Perthshire and Moray and Edinburgh South would be neck and neck with Labour. However those seat gains could offset any losses to the LDs in South West London and seats like Lewes and Bath. If they then gain some seats from Labour in England and Wales May could increase her majority overall
    On the basisof today's Opinium poll the Tories could lose 14 seats to Labour in England & Wales.
    No they most certainly would not given today's Opinium poll has Labour 4% below their final poll on eve of poll in 2015. The latest yougov and ICM polls would see the Tories gain seats from Labour in England and Wales
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,097

Although the caption is faintly amusing it's worth remembering that while Estonian young men are busy working in England UK troops are deployed to Estonia defending their border. Only one of these issues is formally subject to Brexit negotiations.
    Genius Sports employs about 400 people in Estonia, quite a few of whom are British, and have found that a developer's salary goes about 10x further in Talinn than in London.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,015
    I can't believe the Scottish Tory Surge Klaxon didn't wake me up!
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    RobD said:

When it starts going off all the time you learn to ignore it...
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

HYUFD said:

malcolmg said:

HYUFD said:

malcolmg said:

HYUFD said:

malcolmg said:

HYUFD said:

I've heard much talk on here of the SNP honeymoon being over. Anyone got a rough date, or year even, just for betting purposes like?

So that's a no then.
    Well given the SNP lost their majority at Holyrood last year and on this poll are seeing a swing from them to the Tories at Westminster I would say it is now clearly over. In fact May is presently enjoying more of a honeymoon than the SNP. That does not mean they will stop being the largest party in Scotland anytime soon but the Scottish electorate's love affair with Salmond and Sturgeon is clearly over
    Given SNP are 10 years into government and May is a month , that seems a fatuous comparison.
    It proves nothing , they have 1 MP and a handful of MSP's and a few best losers on list, that proves how highly they are thought of. They are not trusted to run a bath.
    They achieve nothing , get laughed out of the place week in and week out. Almost all their places are jobsworths from the list , talentless nohopers. I could hardly name 5 Tory MSP's and I am interested in politics, most people would struggle beyond two, invisible nonentities.
    Yet they are now the official opposition at Holyrood and still making gains
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

RobD said:

When it starts going off all the time you learn to ignore it...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bcYppAs6ZdI
  • Options
    MarkSeniorMarkSenior Posts: 4,699
    edited February 2017
    DavidL said:

BigRich said:

At the 2012 Scottish locale government elections results where as follows:

SNP 32% 425 Seats

SLAB 31% 394 Seats

Independent 12% 196 Seats

SCON 13% 115 Seats

LibDem 6% 71 Seats

Green 2% 14 seats

So for SCon to over take SLab they would need to take 140 seats directly form SLab, (other combinations are also possible) in this years LG elections.

Do other PBs see this as likely/possible? the 2015 GE result and 2016 Scot Parliament Result would indicate 'yes' but I wonder to what extent the incumbency and the AV voting system may reduce that swing?

My early estimate for seat changes

SNP gain 20
    Lab lose 140
    Con gain 110
    LD gain 10
    Ind minus 5
    Green plus 5

So SLab will stay ahead of SCon by a few
    I think you are underestimating both Labour losses and Tory gains. The system is proportional but only up to a point. This made the Tory vote much more inefficient than it should have been last time and Labour will suffer in most of Scotland outside the central belt this time.

I also think, going on the last Scottish elections that the SNP will lose seats to the Tories in the north east and possibly the borders whilst gaining a considerable number from Labour in the west, particularly Glasgow where Labour are cruising for some dockside treatment. It is going to touch and go if they end up ahead on seat numbers overall.
    Feel free to put up your alternative numbers . The STV system will mitigate Labour losses a litlle as although their vote will fall heavily it will remain enough to hang on to 1 seat in most 4 seat wards . Similarly the Conservative vote may increase a lot and win 1 seat where they had none before but not give 2 seats where they already have one .
    The Vote2012 website analyses each council area and gives various posters' estimates of seat changes .
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

justin124 said:

HYUFD said:

No they most certainly would not given today's Opinium poll has Labour 4% below their final poll on eve of poll in 2015. The latest yougov and ICM polls would see the Tories gain seats from Labour in England and Wales
    You are simply wishing that the Opinium figures are wrong! If they are accurate my point holds. Moreover, the fact that ALL the polls were wrong in 2015 does not mean that Yougov and ICM must be right now.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

malcolmg said:

HYUFD said:

malcolmg said:

HYUFD said:

malcolmg said:

HYUFD said:

malcolmg said:

HYUFD said:

So that's a no then.
    If you're going to spout guff about Scotland, at least get the terminolgy right. There is no 'official opposition' at Holyrood, just the pleasingly literal largest opposition party.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,806

I don't believe the EU referendum was as as profoundly felt by as many people in the UK as the independence referendum was in Scotland.

The EU is still there. If you think it's a force for the good, it's still one even if we are no longer a part of it. Also if you think it's the Evil Empire, I guess. If Scotland had voted Yes, the gig would be have been up for the United Kingdom, Scots, who voted on it certainly had divided opinions. I imagine the English, Welsh and N Irish would also have strong views on the disappearance of their country, without actually having had a say.

BTW Don't believe for a moment that Theresa May has dealt with Scotland over Brexit.

• Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,643

Although the caption is faintly amusing it's worth remembering that while Estonian young men are busy working in England UK troops are deployed to Estonia defending their border. Only one of these issues is formally subject to Brexit negotiations.
    If what I have heard is accurate, the Estonian government has a certain view of the situation. FoM of Estonian workers to be balanced with FoM of the Russian army.
  • Options
    justin124 said:

HYUFD said:

justin124 said:

HYUFD said:

You are simply wishing that the Opinium figures are wrong! If they are accurate my point holds. Moreover, the fact that ALL the polls were wrong in 2015 does not mean that Yougov and ICM must be right now.
    Yes but we already know they were wrong at the last election, just that the likes of Yougov and ICM have adjusted their methodology rather more it seems. We will see when Copeland and Stoke vote what the situation really is
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,011
    edited February 2017
    malcolmg said:

isam said:
    you scared to name these hardcore SNPrs that prefer London Tory government to independence.
    They know who they are! I think you might be the only person on here who genuinely wants Scottish independence
  • Options

HYUFD said:

malcolmg said:

HYUFD said:

malcolmg said:

HYUFD said:

malcolmg said:

HYUFD said:

malcolmg said:

HYUFD said:

So that's a no then.
    If you're going to spout guff about Scotland, at least get the terminolgy right. There is no 'official opposition' at Holyrood, just the pleasingly literal largest opposition party.
    Therefore effectively the official opposition
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

justin124 said:

HYUFD said:

justin124 said:

HYUFD said:

Yes but we already know they were wrong at the last election, just that the likes of Yougov and ICM have adjusted their methodology rather more it seems. We will see when Copeland and Stoke vote what the situation really is
    But all the pollsters have adjusted their methodologies - we simply do not know which adjustments were justified. Time will tell!
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,416

DavidL said:

BigRich said:

SNP 32% 425 Seats

SLAB 31% 394 Seats

SCON 13% 115 Seats

LibDem 6% 71 Seats

Green 2% 14 seats

So for SCon to over take SLab they would need to take 140 seats directly form SLab, (other combinations are also possible) in this years LG elections.

Do other PBs see this as likely/possible? the 2015 GE result and 2016 Scot Parliament Result would indicate 'yes' but I wonder to what extent the incumbency and the AV voting system may reduce that swing?

SNP gain 20
    Lab lose 140
    Con gain 110
    LD gain 10
    Ind minus 5
    Green plus 5

I think you are underestimating both Labour losses and Tory gains. The system is proportional but only up to a point. This made the Tory vote much more inefficient than it should have been last time and Labour will suffer in most of Scotland outside the central belt this time.

I also think, going on the last Scottish elections that the SNP will lose seats to the Tories in the north east and possibly the borders whilst gaining a considerable number from Labour in the west, particularly Glasgow where Labour are cruising for some dockside treatment. It is going to touch and go if they end up ahead on seat numbers overall.
    Feel free to put up your alternative numbers . The STV system will mitigate Labour losses a litlle as although their vote will fall heavily it will remain enough to hang on to 1 seat in most 4 seat wards . Similarly the Conservative vote may increase a lot and win 1 seat where they had none before but not give 2 seats where they already have one .
    The Vote2012 website analyses each council area and gives various posters' estimates of seat changes .
    Ok, just for fun, I would guess

Tories +150
    Labour -190
    Lib Dems +20
    SNP +5
    Independent/Green etc -15.

• Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

malcolmg said:

HYUFD said:

malcolmg said:

HYUFD said:

malcolmg said:

HYUFD said:

malcolmg said:

HYUFD said:

So that's a no then.
    The customary HYUFD 'I'm right, I'm right, even when I'm wrong'.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

justin124 said:

HYUFD said:

justin124 said:

HYUFD said:

By-elections in the winter cold will tell us something. They won't tell us who will win the next general election. Who wins will be driven by differential turnout.
  • Options
    MarkSeniorMarkSenior Posts: 4,699
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

BigRich said:

SNP 32% 425 Seats

SLAB 31% 394 Seats

SCON 13% 115 Seats

LibDem 6% 71 Seats

Green 2% 14 seats

SNP gain 20
    Lab lose 140
    Con gain 110
    LD gain 10
    Ind minus 5
    Green plus 5

Tories +150
    Labour -190
    Lib Dems +20
    SNP +5

Thanks
  • Options
    mattmatt Posts: 3,789
    edited February 2017

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

malcolmg said:

HYUFD said:

malcolmg said:

HYUFD said:

malcolmg said:

HYUFD said:

malcolmg said:

HYUFD said:

So that's a no then.
    I find admitting defeat on small points makes people inclined to take one more seriously when one doesn't concede. Tin eared on everying is rarely a winning formula.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,005
    rcs1000 said:

Genius Sports employs about 400 people in Estonia, quite a few of whom are British, and have found that a developer's salary goes about 10x further in Talinn than in London.
    Very sensible - provided the Russians don't come.

• Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,416

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

BigRich said:

SNP 32% 425 Seats

SLAB 31% 394 Seats

SCON 13% 115 Seats

LibDem 6% 71 Seats

Green 2% 14 seats

SNP gain 20
    Lab lose 140
    Con gain 110
    LD gain 10
    Ind minus 5
    Green plus 5

Tories +150
    Labour -190
    Lib Dems +20
    SNP +5

Thanks
    Not often that someone thinks the Lib Dems will get more seats than you Mark. But they also have the advantage of support being concentrated in productive blocks. I expect them to pick up seats in north east Fife and Edinburgh.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

rcs1000 said:

That people are even saying this shows the malign effect of Putin. Estonia's no threat unless, I suppose, the success of its economy is seen as an threat by example to statist Putin Russia.
  • Options
    edited February 2017

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

malcolmg said:

HYUFD said:

malcolmg said:

HYUFD said:

malcolmg said:

HYUFD said:

malcolmg said:

HYUFD said:

So that's a no then.
    They are the largest party after the governing SNP so they are the main opposition party, yes
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    matt said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

malcolmg said:

HYUFD said:

malcolmg said:

HYUFD said:

malcolmg said:

HYUFD said:

malcolmg said:

HYUFD said:

So that's a no then.
    I find admitting defeat on small points makes people inclined to take one more seriously when one doesn't concede. Tin eared on everying is rarely a winning formula.
    There is nothing tin eared about saying the Tories are the largest opposition party in Scotland because it is true
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,806
    DavidL said:

Not often that someone thinks the Lib Dems will get more seats than you Mark. But they also have the advantage of support being concentrated in productive blocks. I expect them to pick up seats in north east Fife and Edinburgh.

Not a typical seat by any means, but Labour, who unexpectedly won Edinburgh Southern off the SNP last year, are active in leafleting the constituency, as are the Lib Dems. The Tories and SNP not at all, despite both being real prospects.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

justin124 said:

HYUFD said:

justin124 said:

HYUFD said:

By-elections in the winter cold will tell us something. They won't tell us who will win the next general election. Who wins will be driven by differential turnout.
    They will certainly give some indication of any swing against Labour
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,631
    Quite accurate too. I wouldn't want to leave Eastern Europe at the mercy of Russia but if the EU try and punish the UK, it ultimately UK and American troops protecting the European border from Russian incursion.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,907
    edited February 2017
    malcolmg said:

Roger said:

Ruth Davidson has got something of the Angela Merkel about her. She's going places. I have some lefty relatives in Scotland who really rate her.

Ever the comedienne
    I'm not female. The clue is in the name
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,133
    isam said:

malcolmg said:

isam said:
    you scared to name these hardcore SNPrs that prefer London Tory government to independence.
    They know who they are! I think you might be the only person on here who genuinely wants Scottish independence
    There are only me and TUD on here as far as I am aware and I don't think he supports the Tories.
  • Options
    alex. said:

malcolmg said:

HYUFD said:

malcolmg said:

HYUFD said:

malcolmg said:

HYUFD said:

malcolmg said:

HYUFD said:

So that's a no then.
    Just out of interest, how many SNP MSPs can you name (excluding those in ministerial posts)?
    10 to 12 I reckon
  • Options
    Roger said:

malcolmg said:

Roger said:

Ruth Davidson has got something of the Angela Merkel about her. She's going places. I have some lefty relatives in Scotland who really rate her.

Ever the comedienne
    I'm not female. The clue is in the name
    That is a bit sexist nowadays , it is known as humour in any case.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,899
    Nearly evening all :)

While many on here witter on about Scottish politics, the decline of Labour and the EU, in the real world:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-38853709

The waiting list numbers are heading back to the bad old days of the mid noughties with nearly four million waiting for procedures. This is in spite of investment and more people being treated than ever before.

You can be as lean and efficient as you like but if the demand is unrelenting and increasing, you are fighting a losing battle. Strangely,I was listening to a rail expert on Sky debating the view that the rail franchise system was no longer fit for purpose. The problem, according to said expert, wasn't the service providers (more people travelling than ever before - 1.6 billion journeys per year) but the infrastructure which simply lacked the capacity to deal with the relentlessly increasing demand.

That's the problem whether it be the railways, NHS or adult social care - the infrastructures can no longer cope however effectively and efficiently they are used or managed. Instead of overhauling organisational structures, the problem is simply one of increasing capacity to meet demand. The problem is new railways, like new care homes and new hospitals, can't be produced overnight. Rather like 1 million new homes, it will take time.

The problem is, we should have started this years ago and for that all parties are responsible and at fault.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

isam said:

malcolmg said:

isam said:
    There are only me and TUD on here as far as I am aware and I don't think he supports the Tories.
    Puir, wee Sammy's got a thistle up his bum 'cos I said I would vote against independence if it meant being dependent on support from his hero (after Enoch) Nigel Farage. He seems to have taken it very personally.
  • Options
    Mr. Stodge, good evening.

I agree. Demographic shifts are largely to blame. The plus side of that is that they won't persist forever (life expectancy can only go so high, unless you subscribe to the theory that within a few decades we'll be able to artificially extend it).
  • Options
    HaroldOHaroldO Posts: 1,185
    Sean_F said:

rcs1000 said:

My mates GF is from there and they are planning to move near Talinn (or the countries second city) one day.
  • Options
    stodge said:

While many on here witter on about Scottish politics, the decline of Labour and the EU, in the real world:

The waiting list numbers are heading back to the bad old days of the mid noughties with nearly four million waiting for procedures. This is in spite of investment and more people being treated than ever before.

You can be as lean and efficient as you like but if the demand is unrelenting and increasing, you are fighting a losing battle. Strangely,I was listening to a rail expert on Sky debating the view that the rail franchise system was no longer fit for purpose. The problem, according to said expert, wasn't the service providers (more people travelling than ever before - 1.6 billion journeys per year) but the infrastructure which simply lacked the capacity to deal with the relentlessly increasing demand.

That's the problem whether it be the railways, NHS or adult social care - the infrastructures can no longer cope however effectively and efficiently they are used or managed. Instead of overhauling organisational structures, the problem is simply one of increasing capacity to meet demand. The problem is new railways, like new care homes and new hospitals, can't be produced overnight. Rather like 1 million new homes, it will take time.

The problem is, we should have started this years ago and for that all parties are responsible and at fault.

They would rather spend the money on crap boats at £1 billion a time that can be heard over a hyundred miles away , or over £1 billion on drones that never saw light of day.......blah blah blah all day long.
    They are donkeys and would struggle to tie their shoelaces never mind run a country.
  • Options

malcolmg said:

HYUFD said:

So that's a no then.
    I'll always treasure that moment when you cited a 2pt increase for SLab in a Scottish sub sample as evidence of the positive effect that Jim Murphy was having on their fortunes.
    From education to finance the SNP isn't delivering and the trick of blaming the English isn't working anymore. You sound like SLab of a few years back, complacent and taking your voters for granted.
    You an expert on Scottish education and finance then Monica. Is that teh pocket money that comes from Westminster you are talking about I presume.
    A national deficit of 9.5 % and rising is all you need to know about the SNP's financial madness.
    Actually its 15%, the 9.5% is the amount above the UK as a whole.
  • Options
    Scottish Tory Surge :)
  • Options
    matt said:

Sean_F said:

rcs1000 said:

That people are even saying this shows the malign effect of Putin. Estonia's no threat unless, I suppose, the success of its economy is seen as an threat by example to statist Putin Russia.
    Putin and his ilk are Greater Russian nationalists. The essence of that faith is that all of the territory that belonged to the USSR at it's greatest extent *should* be part of Russia again.
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,806
    stodge said:

Hard to fault what you say. Politicians trying to tackle these things tend to become less popular though, and then they're not around. If Theresa May survives the Brexit fright-ride then perhaps she may have the popularity to start to tackle these issues. We, as voters, can somewhat do our bit in really trying to hold to account politicians who like to ignore Economics.

On the current course we will go bust with near certainty as will many of the countries of the western world. A massive dose of inflation might fix things, but that brings with it a lot of other problems.

Paradoxically the answer might be to spend, but to spend on things that spin out into opportunity. Spending an extra billion on the NHS just gets soaked up - spending 100billon would too.
  • Options
    FregglesFreggles Posts: 3,486
    stodge said:

This is clearly true but many for ideological reasons will never admit that more investment is needed, until after the fact (assuming their party approved it). They will always claim it's "waste" that is the problem despite the many international benchmarks showing we spend less and have fewer hospital beds than our peers.
  • Options
    edited February 2017

malcolmg said:

isam said:

malcolmg said:

isam said:
    Puir, wee Sammy's got a thistle up his bum 'cos I said I would vote against independence if it meant being dependent on support from his hero (after Enoch) Nigel Farage. He seems to have taken it very personally.
    Not at all. I am genuinely puzzled. Nothing for me to take personally about it.

I am wondering who would have to have supported Leave for me to rather we had remained, or even voted Remain, but there isn't anyone. SWP? Corbyn? No, if it got us over the line I dont care

If Farage campaigned in Scotland and got non voters last time to vote for Independence, Scottish people voting to leave the UK, you would rather stay ruled by us than have those votes set you free, amazing.

• Options
    HaroldO said:

malcolmg said:

HYUFD said:

So that's a no then.
    I'll always treasure that moment when you cited a 2pt increase for SLab in a Scottish sub sample as evidence of the positive effect that Jim Murphy was having on their fortunes.
    From education to finance the SNP isn't delivering and the trick of blaming the English isn't working anymore. You sound like SLab of a few years back, complacent and taking your voters for granted.
    You an expert on Scottish education and finance then Monica. Is that teh pocket money that comes from Westminster you are talking about I presume.
    A national deficit of 9.5 % and rising is all you need to know about the SNP's financial madness.
    Both are garbage made up numbers
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,953
    Bloody hell, Lab and Con basically switched around since May 2015. More opportunity for Mrs May to call an election?
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

HaroldO said:

malcolmg said:

HYUFD said:

So that's a no then.
    Is there a more accurate number?
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,470
    edited February 2017

matt said:

Sean_F said:

rcs1000 said:

Putin and his ilk are Greater Russian nationalists. The essence of that faith is that all of the territory that belonged to the USSR at it's greatest extent *should* be part of Russia again.
    "Tsar Alexander reached Paris!" - Joseph Stalin.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Paris_(1814)
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Quite accurate too. I wouldn't want to leave Eastern Europe at the mercy of Russia but if the EU try and punish the UK, it ultimately UK and American troops protecting the European border from Russian incursion.

It's American troops. The UK makes next to no difference in terms of feet on the ground.

• Options
    matt said:

malcolmg said:

HaroldO said:

malcolmg said:

HYUFD said:

So that's a no then.
    Is there a more accurate number?
    Not that I know of, the numbers are not available , they even include billions in debt repayment etc, there are no accurate figures only what London give out.
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    MaxPB said:

Bet we are lucky to break single figures. Russians will be real scared.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,631

MaxPB said:

It's American troops. The UK makes next to no difference in terms of feet on the ground.

Either way the EU threatening the UK or US with reprisals is ultimately a self-destructive idea.
  • Options
    BigRichBigRich Posts: 3,489
    stodge said:

There is a simple answer, bake up into smaller units, Privatise, and deregulate. The Railways first, and then the NHS.
  • Options
    isam said:

malcolmg said:

isam said:

malcolmg said:

isam said:

I am wondering who would have to have supported Leave for me to rather we had remained, or even voted Remain, but there isn't anyone. SWP? Corbyn? No, if it got us over the line I dont care

If Farage campaigned in Scotland and got non voters last time to vote for Independence, Scottish people voting to leave the UK, you would rather stay ruled by us than have those votes set you free, amazing.

So essentially you'd have been happy to campaign alongside Nick Griffin, EDL, Britain First and all the other scum to achieve Brexit?

It's entirely hypothetical since Farage & UKIP have precisely FA influence either way, but you'll just have to stop being amazed that some people don't want to attain things on the backs of racists and xenophobes.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    edited February 2017
    I wonder whether Ruth Davidson might consider standing in Edinburgh South at the next election, Labour's only remaining Scottish seat at Westminster.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Bloody hell, Lab and Con basically switched around since May 2015. More opportunity for Mrs May to call an election?

I think that has to be the wrong call. If we had a May (in both senses) election we'd find ourselves with another GE in May 2022. As it is the government faces no real difficulties, and will go on to May 2020. A messed up early GE would lose 3 years, and the gain is the extra two years that are probably yours in the bag anyway.

With one year to go if it was painless to achieve it the I imagine she would go early.

I make a little money from betting on political uncertainty, and I hate the idea of Corbyn and co. being allowed to run a sweetshop, let alone the UK. So I'm massively adjusting my betting towards an early GE - however I still nearly make the 2020 election at evens some value.

• Options
    malcolmg said:

Proof? The SNP seem happy with them.
  • Options

isam said:

malcolmg said:

isam said:

malcolmg said:

isam said:

So essentially you'd have been happy to campaign alongside Nick Griffin, EDL, Britain First and all the other scum to achieve Brexit?

It's entirely hypothetical since Farage & UKIP have precisely FA influence either way, but you'll just have to stop being amazed that some people don't want to attain things on the backs of racists and xenophobes.
    What a ridiculous argument. Do you actually imagine that I should change my view on something because someone unpleasant agrees?

Nuclear weapons shouldn't be tested in major city centres at rush hour.. Oh one second Mad Mr O'Mad of a small town in Bangladesh agrees - I must be wrong!

• Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,956
    @Cyclefree - Vancouver Island is heaven on earth. Fly (or drive, but it is a trek) up to Tofino if you can. When I was at Uni I turned down an offer to work a summer at the Wickaninish, one of few regrets from those years....
  • Options
    Omnium said:

isam said:

malcolmg said:

isam said:

malcolmg said:

isam said:

What a ridiculous argument. Do you actually imagine that I should change my view on something because someone unpleasant agrees?

Nuclear weapons shouldn't be tested in major city centres at rush hour.. Oh one second Mad Mr O'Mad of a small town in Bangladesh agrees - I must be wrong!

Don't give a gnat's testicle about your views, sport.
  • Options
    BigRichBigRich Posts: 3,489
    AndyJS said:

I wonder whether Ruth Davidson might consider standing in Edinburgh South at the next election, Labour's only remaining Scottish seat at Westminster.

I think with the new constituency boundary's it ether disappears or becomes a notional SNP seat.
  • Options
    Corbynism sweeping the nation....
  • Options

Omnium said:

isam said:

malcolmg said:

isam said:

malcolmg said:

isam said:

LEAVE 52%
    REMAIN 48%

:innocent:
  • Options
    Mr. Urquhart, is the nation Venezuela?
  • Options

Omnium said:

isam said:

malcolmg said:

isam said:

malcolmg said:

isam said:

That's fair enough. You should probably still revisit the logic of your arguments though.
  • Options

Omnium said:

isam said:

malcolmg said:

isam said:

malcolmg said:

isam said:

And that's why you lost your referendum and Sam won his.
  • Options

Mr. Urquhart, is the nation Venezuela?

I hear even Venezuela ain't too keen on his brand of politics these days....no sweeping the Republic of Remainistan aka Islington.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,314
    edited February 2017
    Omnium said:

Omnium said:

isam said:

malcolmg said:

isam said:

malcolmg said:

isam said:

That's fair enough. You should probably still revisit the logic of your arguments though.
    The same D- for reading comprehension as Sammy boy.

'I would vote against independence if it meant being dependent on support from his hero (after Enoch) Nigel Farage'

You should probably revisit your inclination to jump half arsed into other people's exchanges.
  • Options
    Omnium said:

Omnium said:

isam said:

malcolmg said:

isam said:

malcolmg said:

isam said:

Those Leavers who wail that soft Brexit isn't going to happen still seem blissfully unaware (or in intense denial) that was an inevitable consequence of pandering to xenophobes. The nature of a victory in large part defines its consequences.

Whatever else you say about the SNP, and much can be said, they have to their credit done about as much as they can to distance the cause of Scottish independence from xenophobia, despite very obvious temptations to do otherwise.
  • Options
    edited February 2017

isam said:

malcolmg said:

isam said:

malcolmg said:

isam said:

I wouldn't have to campaign alongside them, and you wouldn't have to campaign alongside Farage. But if they persuaded some people to vote for us to Leave I would take the votes because my desire is us to Leave, not for the people I want to be in charge to be in Parliament, that's for my fellow countrymen to decide.

You want to live in SNPland not Scotland, nothing wrong with that. I would rather Corbyn as PM and England out of the EU than Farage as PM with us in (although that couldn't happen as if UKIP had a majority, we would just leave as the power ultimately lies in Westminster)
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,161
    Bayrou calling on Fillon to drop out.

https://twitter.com/bayrou/status/828205104020992000
  • Options
    Omnium said:

Omnium said:

isam said:

malcolmg said:

isam said:

malcolmg said:

isam said:

ThUD is well aware of extreme elements within Scottish nationalism, he protests his virtue rather too much.
  • Options
    justin124 said:

HYUFD said:

Yet you still think the Tories won't have the mother of all three line whips - and deselection threats - to get the new boundaries though?
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

No chance, easier to get in on list at Holyrood
  • Options

Omnium said:

Omnium said:

Those Leavers who wail that soft Brexit isn't going to happen still seem blissfully unaware (or in intense denial) that was an inevitable consequence of pandering to xenophobes. The nature of a victory in large part defines its consequences.

Whatever else you say about the SNP, and much can be said, they have to their credit done about as much as they can to distance the cause of Scottish independence from xenophobia, despite very obvious temptations to do otherwise.
    Well I voted leave Alastair. It really was a struggle for me to decide. I did consider the arguments of friends who's views I respect (almost all for remain). I considered too the arguments I heard elsewhere - whoever made them. I gave most weight to my own judgement, a good deal of weight to the view of people I respect, and so on.

Would you suggest one should do otherwise?

• Options
    edited February 2017
    HaroldO said:

malcolmg said:

Given there are no other numbers it is a moot point , it matters not a jot , once you take of all the punitive repayments , paying for Trident , paying for London infraastructure the numbers are garbage. In an independent Scotland they would remain garbage and be of no consequence. Every other small country in the world can be independent and run deficits etc , why would it be a concern for Scotland.
  • Options
    Omnium said:

Omnium said:

Omnium said:

Well I voted leave Alastair. It really was a struggle for me to decide. I did consider the arguments of friends who's views I respect (almost all for remain). I considered too the arguments I heard elsewhere - whoever made them. I gave most weight to my own judgement, a good deal of weight to the view of people I respect, and so on.

Not complain when it goes to shit in entirely predictable ways derived from the nature of the campaign.
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,319
    calum said:

Per Scotland Votes WM model - this poll = SNP 54 / SCON 4 / SLID 1 / SLAB 0 !!

That would still be a very poor return for Con given 27% of the vote.

How many more seats would Con be close in - say within 5% of winning?
  • Options

Omnium said:

isam said:

malcolmg said:

isam said:

malcolmg said:

isam said:

'His' referendum.
    The Pontius Pilate Leavers and their selective ownership of Brexit - 'I like that bit, it's mine, not the bad stuff though.'
  • Options

Omnium said:

Omnium said:

isam said:

malcolmg said:

isam said:

malcolmg said:

isam said:

Those Remainers who have not moved on seem blissfully unaware not only of how deeply unpopular their pet European project is but also how out of touch they now sound.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,161
    Mortimer said:

Those Remainers who have not moved on seem blissfully unaware not only of how deeply unpopular their pet European project is but also how out of touch they now sound.

There are times in history where being in touch with the majority and being in touch with reality are mutually exclusive. This appears to be one such time.
  • Options

Omnium said:

isam said:

malcolmg said:

isam said:

malcolmg said:

isam said:

'His' referendum.
    The Pontius Pilate Leavers and their selective ownership of Brexit - 'I like that bit, it's mine, not the bad stuff though.'
    .. as opposed to pure as the driven snow Nats who get pocket money from Theresa May!
  • Options

Omnium said:

Omnium said:

Omnium said:

Not complain when it goes to shit in entirely predictable ways derived from the nature of the campaign.
    Sorry - you've lost me. I've not been complaining.

If what you're talking about is in the future then I'm pretty sure I'll complain like everyone else if I think mistakes have been made, but I certainly won't complain about 'how did we find ourselves here in the first place'.

• Options

Omnium said:

Omnium said:

isam said:

malcolmg said:

isam said:

malcolmg said:

isam said:

The same D- for reading comprehension as Sammy boy.

'I would vote against independence if it meant being dependent on support from his hero (after Enoch) Nigel Farage'

You should probably revisit your inclination to jump half arsed into other people's exchanges.
    I see nothing to revise in my comments and everything for you to review in yours.
  • Options
    Omnium said:

Sandpit said:

I think that has to be the wrong call. If we had a May (in both senses) election we'd find ourselves with another GE in May 2022. As it is the government faces no real difficulties, and will go on to May 2020. A messed up early GE would lose 3 years, and the gain is the extra two years that are probably yours in the bag anyway.

With one year to go if it was painless to achieve it the I imagine she would go early.

I make a little money from betting on political uncertainty, and I hate the idea of Corbyn and co. being allowed to run a sweetshop, let alone the UK. So I'm massively adjusting my betting towards an early GE - however I still nearly make the 2020 election at evens some value.
    I don't think she'll go this year, assuming no major hiccups in the next couple of weeks. After that it's negotiation time, with the (huge for the Tories) secondary issue of the boundaries vote due in I think Nov 2018.

I think the value is in 2019 (currently 8.2 on Betfair), 2020 at evs is good if you can get it too (Betfair currently 1.81).
    https://www.betfair.com/exchange/#/politics/event/28051210/market?marketId=1.125858951
  • Options
    BigRich said:

stodge said:

There is a simple answer, bake up into smaller units, Privatise, and deregulate. The Railways first, and then the NHS.
    The railways were privatised and it didn't make a vast difference and there is unlikely to ever be popular support for privatising the NHS. A more effective long-term solution for healthcare and social care is for those who can afford it to be encouraged to take out insurance or else to increase NI
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Omnium said:

Sandpit said:

I don't think she'll go this year, assuming no major hiccups in the next couple of weeks. After that it's negotiation time, with the (huge for the Tories) secondary issue of the boundaries vote due in I think Nov 2018.

I think the value is in 2019 (currently 8.2 on Betfair), 2020 at evs is good if you can get it too (Betfair currently 1.81).
    https://www.betfair.com/exchange/#/politics/event/28051210/market?marketId=1.125858951
    I've toyed with 2019 as a bet too. 2020 was 1.97 to back when I posted - obviously our words caused someone to look.

• Options
    malcolmg said:

HaroldO said:

malcolmg said:

Given there are no other numbers it is a moot point , it matters not a jot , once you take of all the punitive repayments , paying for Trident , paying for London infraastructure the numbers are garbage. In an independent Scotland they would remain garbage and be of no consequence. Every other small country in the world can be independent and run deficits etc , why would it be a concern for Scotland.

Malcolm here explains clearly why Ruth has been successful. The middle class scots are not convinced that the SNP are trustworthy to run the economy on their own.

Politics in Scotland which for many years has been a mess has had an outbreak on sense recently. Many of the SNPs questions of TM annoy the English but are mostly fair questions. Ruth has been notable in not opposing the SNP asking them.

Labour since it lost its MPs has become even less relevant to Scottish issues. Corbyn may bang on about the NHS but only from an English perspective. The Scottish NHS is run by Holyrood and Corbyn is not standing for a seat here as far as I know.

Ruth will not stand to be an MP as she is leader of the Tories in Scotland. When she hands over that role then she may stand and will probably be elected. She is not a list MSP but won Edinburgh Central on her own. Maybe Edinburgh West would be her best bet.

• Options
    edited February 2017

Mortimer said:

There are times in history where being in touch with the majority and being in touch with reality are mutually exclusive. This appears to be one such time.
    Says one of the band of British doomsayers who sees every news article through the prism of Merkel's greatness and European federal destiny. Do me a flavour.
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

Says one of the band of British doomsayers who sees every news article through the prism of Merkel's greatness and European federal destiny. Do me a flavour.
    "Do me a flavour"

Strawberry!
  • Options
    PlatoSaidPlatoSaid Posts: 10,383
    Jonathan Pie does it again

https://youtu.be/miE-kwQM0mo
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

BigRich said:

stodge said:

The railways were privatised and it didn't make a vast difference and there is unlikely to ever be popular support for privatising the NHS. A more effective long-term solution for healthcare and social care is for those who can afford it to be encouraged to take out insurance or else to increase NI
    A bit of both carrot and stick is required.

Reversal of the benefit-in-kind taxation on company-provided health insurance is long overdue - we should be encouraging all those who can to cover their own healthcare. On the other hand, charges for GP appointments and a severe curtailing of elective and cosmetic surgery have to happen too - even if it only saves a drop in the ocean it's as much about the signal it sends that the NHS is a scarce resource. The biggest savings are to be found in getting elderly out of hospitals and into residential care in a timely fashion, but we all know that.

Railways, maybe allow franchises to run track, train and service - but most importantly put the risk of failure on the operator's shareholders not the government.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

HaroldO said:

malcolmg said:

Well, what are your criticisms then? From what I remember Scotland doesn't pay for London infrastructure and what are punititive repayments? Trident is one possible area yes.
    It wouldn't be if for the fact it is currently so high, I mean Scotland could cope of course but there would have to be large cuts or large borrowing in the short term.
    where I live has a large fiscal transfer from the SE and London and it is much higher than Scotland receives. I just don't complain about it, deride the figures and then make wild claims Wabout spending.
  • Options
    The PM, the Chancellor, the Home Secretary and other prominent Tory Remainers spent six years helping to create the environment in which Leave lies about hordes of Turks coming over to live here seemed credible. If you hear your country's leaders continually talk about immigration as a problem, the EU as the enemy and so on, you can't be blamed for believing them. Most voters listen only sporadically to political debate. David Cameron and George Osborne suddenly becoming champions of an institution they had previously derided must have seemed extraordinary and very dishonest to many, many people. The leaders of the Leave campaign knew they were lying (just as the leaders of Remain did, too), but you can't blame voters for believing them.
  • Options
    GeoffMGeoffM Posts: 6,071

The PM, the Chancellor, the Home Secretary and other prominent Tory Remainers spent six years helping to create the environment in which Leave lies about hordes of Turks coming over to live here seemed credible. If you hear your country's leaders continually talk about immigration as a problem, the EU as the enemy and so on, you can't be blamed for believing them. Most voters listen only sporadically to political debate. David Cameron and George Osborne suddenly becoming champions of an institution they had previously derided must have seemed extraordinary and very dishonest to many, many people. The leaders of the Leave campaign knew they were lying (just as the leaders of Remain did, too), but you can't blame voters for believing them.

No
This discussion has been closed.