Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » As the world waits for news from the Palace the return of M

Comments

• Options
    Wasn't there an ancient Egyptian that worked out the circumference of the Earth to within approx 1% of its true value?

Mr. Carl, I am unsure if that's a trolling attempt or a serious comment.

It takes one person or fact to prove a scientific theory wrong. It used to be the majority view that the Earth was at the centre of the universe.

As for flat Earth - that's a rather cheap insult. Besides which, the Ancient Greeks, clever chaps that they were, reasoned the Earth was not flat (you see a ship's sails before its hull on the horizon).

• Options
    GeoffMGeoffM Posts: 6,071
    Many thanks to @Hertsmere_Pubgoer and @RichardNabavi for their responses to my mobile filter question. Much appreciated.
  • Options
    MonikerDiCanioMonikerDiCanio Posts: 5,792
    Toms said:

Toms said:

From Charles:
    "Am in the US and the coverage is jaw-droppingly enthusiastic. They are bubbling over with excitement (watching NBC's Today).

Going out for a walk because I can't take it anymore. It's a baby. "

Charles: Silly people are just as thick on the ground in the US as in the UK. But they can allow
    full scope to their silliness, for they don't carry any responsibility for the "Royal Family" , legal
    or financial. If it's any consolation, it probably implies affection for Brits and their funny ways.
    Personally, I think it's wicked what we do to these poor kids. They ought to have the same rights as the rest of us to find their level.

The British Royal family is far more popular in the US than the President , the Senate or the House of Representatives. 1776 was a mistake but one remedied by time and experience.

Chuckle. I rest my case.
    Some front pages :

Bild ;

http://www.bild.de/

Washingto Post ;

http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/duchess-admitted-to-hospital-in-labor/2013/07/22/675f4458-f29d-11e2-8464-57e57af86290_story.html?hpid=z1

New York Times ;

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/07/23/world/europe/royal-baby.html?hp&_r=0

Le Monde ;

http://www.lemonde.fr/europe/article/2013/07/22/le-guardian-propose-un-site-expurge-des-informations-sur-le-royal-baby_3451210_3214.html

LA Times ;

http://www.latimes.com/business/money/la-fi-mo-royal-baby-fever-worth-millions-20130722,0,3373344.story

Corriere della Sera ;

http://www.corriere.it/esteri/13_luglio_22/kate-royal-baby-iniziato-il-travaglio_2a28b7ce-f29b-11e2-8506-64ec07f27631.shtml
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787

JackW said:

JackW said:

@Charles

Let's sort the double out.

Why

When Queen Victoria succeeded in 1837 the heir presumptive was her uncle the Duke of Cumberland. He was supplanted when Princess Victoria was born in 1840 and she was supplanted when her brother Prince Edward was born the following year.

Why would the (male) Duke of Cumberland be supplanted by Princess Victoria?

The effect of the arrival of Prince Edward I can understand.

Mind, as a an egalitarian and a republican (ignore the pseudonym, it's jealousy) ) it all seems a something or other mess to me.

The Duke was supplanted because even a daughter of a sovereign or daughter of an elder deceased brother (The late Duke of Kent) takes precedence over male uncles .

Hence the present Queen succeeded her father rather than George VI's next in line brother the late Duke of Gloucester.

Thank you. Understand and accept.

When can I next vote for the head of state?
    When you move to the Republic of Ireland.

BTW the death of William IV also saw one of those quirks of history as whilst Victoria succeeded to the UK throne under male preference cognatic primogeniture she did not inherit from William IV the Kingdom of Hanover.

Hanover practised semi salic also known as agnatic primogeniture whereby the male line must be extinct before a female may succeeed. Thus William IV's younger brother, the Duke of Cumberland, became King Ernst of Hanover as well as heir presumptive to his niece, the new Queen Victoria.

• Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,014
    Mr. Jayfdee, I entirely agree. Greater energy efficiency, for example, is something that we should do whatever the case.

Mr. Pubgoer, I'm afraid I'm rather ignorant of Ancient Egypt and can't answer that. It would not surprise me, some Greeks got similar astronomical calculations more or less correct.

Did you know the Ancient Greeks had steam power? They just used it for making toys, though.
  • Options
    edited July 2013

Wasn't there an ancient Egyptian that worked out the circumference of the Earth to within approx 1% of its true value?

Are you thinking of Eratosthenes?

Edit: Yes, you were. Linkage en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eratosthenes
  • Options
    Hertsmere_PubgoerHertsmere_Pubgoer Posts: 3,476
    edited July 2013
    Sorry MD I should have checked before posting
    He was Greek
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eratosthenes
    Edit @GeoffM has beaten me to it.

Mr. Jayfdee, I entirely agree. Greater energy efficiency, for example, is something that we should do whatever the case.

Mr. Pubgoer, I'm afraid I'm rather ignorant of Ancient Egypt and can't answer that. It would not surprise me, some Greeks got similar astronomical calculations more or less correct.

Did you know the Ancient Greeks had steam power? They just used it for making toys, though.

• Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,793
    O/T - haven't read any yet - but look interesting - a series of talks by Vernon Bogdanor on British politicians who "made the weather" but never made it to PM:

http://www.gresham.ac.uk/making-the-weather-six-politicians-who-shaped-our-age
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,422

@TCPoliticalBetting

I think the Tudors might have ended up ruling, bar stewardry or not. If you remember, Henry VII left the last Plantagenet buried under a car park.

To be fair, it wasn't a car-park at the time.
  • Options
    NeilNeil Posts: 7,983
    edited July 2013
    JackW said:

JackW said:

JackW said:

@Charles

Why

When Queen Victoria succeeded in 1837 the heir presumptive was her uncle the Duke of Cumberland. He was supplanted when Princess Victoria was born in 1840 and she was supplanted when her brother Prince Edward was born the following year.

Why would the (male) Duke of Cumberland be supplanted by Princess Victoria?

The effect of the arrival of Prince Edward I can understand.

Mind, as a an egalitarian and a republican (ignore the pseudonym, it's jealousy) ) it all seems a something or other mess to me.

The Duke was supplanted because even a daughter of a sovereign or daughter of an elder deceased brother (The late Duke of Kent) takes precedence over male uncles .

Hence the present Queen succeeded her father rather than George VI's next in line brother the late Duke of Gloucester.

Thank you. Understand and accept.

When can I next vote for the head of state?
    When you move to the Republic of Ireland.

Not true, JackW!

While British citizens can vote in local, European and Dáil (Seanad while it exists / applies) elections they do not get a vote in the Presidential election (or in referendums). Presumably because there would be no reciprocation ;)
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    On a mild self-plugging note, got another 5* review for Journey to Altmortis today on Amazon. Quite nice, especially as Bane of Souls was 4*-tastic. [Still have a soft spot for the first book though. I keep meaning to run through it and work out the percentage of fairly important characters who end up dead].

Edited extra bit:
    F1: I'll put up an early discussion piece for Hungary tomorrow. Because we lost, er, somewhere (New Jersey?) from the calendar it's in rather isolated. The last race was 3 weeks before it, the next race will be 4 weeks after it.
  • Options
    GeoffM said:

Neil said:

Anyone is free to try to challenge or overturn aspects of any statute but the fact is the protections for religions in the Marriage (SAme Sex Couples) Act are iron-clad...

That's a keeper for a rainy day. I'd put money on there being a successful challenge within the next few years.

Name your timeframe and name your amount! ;)
  • Options
    peter_from_putneypeter_from_putney Posts: 6,875
    edited July 2013
    ***** Betting Post *****

Re: Royal Birth:

With just 4.5 hrs to go before tomorrow becomes today, Corals' current 5/2 odds on the Royal baby being born tomorrow, 23 July, compared with its 1/3 odds on it being born today look distinctly out of kilter imo.

DYOR
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 27,029
    O/T:
    "More than 30 million girls are at risk of being subjected to female genital mutilation (FGM) over the next decade, a study by Unicef has found.

It said more than 125 million girls and women alive today had undergone a procedure now opposed by the majority in countries where it was practised.

Ritual cutting of girls' genitals is practised by some African, Middle Eastern and Asian communities in the belief it protects a woman's virginity."
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-23410858#
  • Options
    If the royal baby was Australian he's be out by now...

Anyway the coverage reminds me of the "Panda Watch" bit in "Anchorman"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EjT2afb78Y0
  • Options
    JackW said:

@Charles

On that basis, we ought to include all first-born females whose father or mother was monarch. Queen Anne's son the Duke of Gloucester (IIRC) is another, as may be any older siblings he had who died young (I think Anne was pregnant about 17 times; most ending in stillbirths).

Henry VIII also provides fun and games. Both Mary and Elizabeth were at various times heir, delegitimised and restored. Both, however, were surpassed in the pecking order by Edward VI but then they went on to reign so don't count for Jack's list.

One that does, I think, is the Duke of York who was heir presumptive under George IV who had no surviving issue at the time.

We ought also to mention Sophia, Electress of Hanover, on whom the crown was settled in the event of Anne dying childless. She died, however, a few months before Anne so her son George I became king instead (had Anne died slightly earlier, Sophia would have been Britain's oldest monarch until Elizabeth II, and by far the oldest to ascend the throne).
  • Options
    JohnLilburneJohnLilburne Posts: 6,017
    @Carl

Don't do logic do you?

A theory proven to be wrong is unpopular.

Therefore an unpopular theory is proven to be wrong.

Don't think so.
  • Options
    state_go_awaystate_go_away Posts: 5,422
    if the royal baby was Australian he'd be out now but think he was still in (for some reason!)
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,079

On a mild self-plugging note, got another 5* review for Journey to Altmortis today on Amazon. Quite nice, especially as Bane of Souls was 4*-tastic. [Still have a soft spot for the first book though. I keep meaning to run through it and work out the percentage of fairly important characters who end up dead].

Edited extra bit:
    F1: I'll put up an early discussion piece for Hungary tomorrow. Because we lost, er, somewhere (New Jersey?) from the calendar it's in rather isolated. The last race was 3 weeks before it, the next race will be 4 weeks after it.

My inside info suggests that the Russian arace will happen.

• Options
    edited July 2013
    @Hertsmere_Pubgoer

He was from Cyrene so Libyan. Sort of. A Greek-Libyan if you like. You weren't far out with Egyptian.
  • Options

Mr. Carl, I am unsure if that's a trolling attempt or a serious comment.

It takes one person or fact to prove a scientific theory wrong. It used to be the majority view that the Earth was at the centre of the universe.

As for flat Earth - that's a rather cheap insult. Besides which, the Ancient Greeks, clever chaps that they were, reasoned the Earth was not flat (you see a ship's sails before its hull on the horizon).

The Greeks also recognised that when there was an eclipse of the moon, the shadow cast was circular, and that as you travelled north or south, the position of the stars in the sky changed, both of which indicated a roughly spherical world and - in the case of the latter - measurements from which could be used to calculate its size.
  • Options
    carlcarl Posts: 750

@Carl

Don't do logic do you?

Don't think so.

Sigh.

A theory becomes "popular" when more and more scientists working in the field examine the evidence and find that it supports the theory, and other competing theories are undermined by the evidence.

Anyway, like all true believers / conspiracy theorists, those who deny the science on this will never be convinced, so there's little point carrying on. Has that baby been born yet?
  • Options
    Didn't one of the Greek Math bods commit suicide, murder or go insane ( I forget which) because he could not accept irrational numbers .Imagine that being forced to kill because the square root of 2 is neverending
  • Options

if the royal baby was Australian he'd be out now but think he was still in (for some reason!)

And refer to the "third midwife"!
  • Options
    O/T Did anyone see this on Saturday, I don't recall the cameras picking it up.

Experienced French mountainbiker caused a stir on Saturday. Apparently he,d spent 6 months preparing a stunt. At the moment Froomy and Co passed him on the road he would jump with the mountainbike over the heads of the riders. Luckily it went well as you can see in the following film

http://www.hln.be/hln/nl/9091/Time-out/article/detail/1673328/2013/07/22/Waaghals-zoeft-over-hoofd-van-Froome-co.dhtml
  • Options
    @carl

No, you don't do logic.
  • Options
    welshowlwelshowl Posts: 4,460

On the same basis it proves some of its antecedents were from the lower orders as it's hanging around. The upper order is out quick.......
  • Options

***** Betting Post *****

Re: Royal Birth:

With just 4.5 hrs to go before tomorrow becomes today, Corals' current 5/2 odds on the Royal baby being born tomorrow, 23 July, compared with its 1/3 odds on it being born today look distinctly out of kilter imo.

DYOR

Tick tock, tick tock.

• Options

Didn't one of the Greek Math bods commit suicide, murder or go insane ( I forget which) because he could not accept irrational numbers .Imagine that being forced to kill because the square root of 2 is neverending

You are possibly thinking of Hippasus who drowned at sea as punishment by the gods for revealing the existence of irrational numbers.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hippasus

• Options
    carl said:

@Carl

Don't do logic do you?

Don't think so.

A theory becomes "popular" when more and more scientists working in the field examine the evidence and find that it supports the theory, and other competing theories are undermined by the evidence.
    Until this beautiful theory meets one ugly fact......that's science.....

As Andrew Neil observed:

'This [criticism of the interview] was neatly summed up in a Guardian blog by Dana Nuccitelli, who works for a multi-billion dollar US environmental business (Tetra Tech) and writes prodigiously about global warming and related matters from a very distinct perspective."

• Options
    GeoffM- That line could come from Monty Python!!
  • Options
    GeoffM said:

You are possibly thinking of Hippasus who drowned at sea as punishment by the gods for revealing the existence of irrational numbers.
    I'm with the gods on that one!

• Options

JackW said:

@Charles

On that basis, we ought to include all first-born females whose father or mother was monarch. Queen Anne's son the Duke of Gloucester (IIRC) is another, as may be any older siblings he had who died young (I think Anne was pregnant about 17 times; most ending in stillbirths).

Henry VIII also provides fun and games. Both Mary and Elizabeth were at various times heir, delegitimised and restored. Both, however, were surpassed in the pecking order by Edward VI but then they went on to reign so don't count for Jack's list.

One that does, I think, is the Duke of York who was heir presumptive under George IV who had no surviving issue at the time.

We ought also to mention Sophia, Electress of Hanover, on whom the crown was settled in the event of Anne dying childless. She died, however, a few months before Anne so her son George I became king instead (had Anne died slightly earlier, Sophia would have been Britain's oldest monarch until Elizabeth II, and by far the oldest to ascend the throne).
    Well done Herders 2/3

The Duke of York was heir presumptive to his brother George IV from 1820 until his death in 1827.

Sophia the Dowager Electress of Hanover was heir presumptive from the Act of Settlement in 1701 until her death in 1714.

Anne's son, the Duke of Gloucester, died in 1700 and so predeceased not only his mother but also King William III and thus was only ever second in line.

• Options
    I remember Monty Python's Meaning of Life which turned to "birth in the third world" - Yorkshire - which was then followed by this wicked send up of Oliver!

http://youtu.be/fUspLVStPbk
  • Options
    @JackW

People think of Sophia as Electress of Hannover but of course she was also a daughter of Frederick V, Elector Palatine and briefly king of Bohemia. And probably the man who started the 30 Years War. She was therefore the younger sister of Prince Rupert of the Rhine.

Rupert died in 1682 without legitimate heir, but had he married earlier we might be ruled by a line of Wittelsbachs.
  • Options
    "On a mild self-plugging note, got another 5* review for Journey to Altmortis today on Amazon"

Morris - I trust your cheque's in the post.
  • Options

@carl

No, you don't do logic.

OK, last try. Here's the science bit.

You've got theory A, in this case effectively that human induced CO2 emissions are warming and changing the climate.

You've got theories X,Y and Z that are effectively contrary (in this case, no warming, CO2 isn't a greenhouse gas, the Earth is flat which makes it heat up when the massive heater on the moon is pointed at it, and so on)

Lots of scientists have examined the hard evidence and found that it supports theory A, but undermines X,Y and Z. This is why theory A is "popular", and X,Y and Z are not.

Therefore, the "popularity" of theory A does, indeed, suggest that there is lots of evidence supporting it (in other words, it is robust / likely to be correct).

It's the same with any "popular" scientific theory you care to name, from quantum theory to evolutionary theory.

Has that baby been born yet?

• Options
    TomsToms Posts: 2,478
    Here's an ill-formed theory off the top of my head:

The fundamental role of the Royal family is to represent stability and mediocrity. The present Queen, bless her, does that very well, by insight or by taking advice.

This feature neatly counterbalances our really rather remarkable toleration of eccentrics, who have fueled and propelled progress, especially, but by no means exclusively, technical and scientific.

I worry, though, that this balance is now being upset by invasive bureaucracy that produces nothing and limits our freedoms.

Just rambling.
  • Options
    women get subjected to patronising nonsense from politicians all the time including from other women . eg Harman becoming faux outraged over Muirfield male only policy or having a special Ministry for Women
  • Options

@JackW

People think of Sophia as Electress of Hannover but of course she was also a daughter of Frederick V, Elector Palatine and briefly king of Bohemia. And probably the man who started the 30 Years War. She was therefore the younger sister of Prince Rupert of the Rhine.

Rupert died in 1682 without legitimate heir, but had he married earlier we might be ruled by a line of Wittelsbachs.

Surely they would've changed it to "Newburys" or "Readings" or "Hungerfords" or some other random Berkshire town by now?
  • Options
    Let's move the bus along ....

Elizabeth Electress Palatine daughter of James I/VI was heir presumptive to her brother Charles I from his accession in 1625 until his son Prince Charles was born in 1630.
  • Options
    @carl

"examined the hard evidence and found that it supports"

Note that you haven't used the word "proved", quite rightly in my opinion.

Surely we need to remain sceptic and to keep challenging the hypothesis.
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    Now as for science, its progress relies on verification by experiment. All very good. But the standard interpretation of quantum mechanics is that measurement of small systems (that are probabilistic in their behaviour) is done by macroscopic systems, namely us (that are essentially not probabilistic).

Unfortunately the transition from small (quantum) systems to macroscopic (classical) systems is more or less continuous. So at what point do the measurements become unreliable and fuzzy? For we live in a universe with objects of all sizes.
  • Options
    JackW said:

Elizabeth Electress Palatine daughter of James I/VI was heir presumptive to her brother Charles I from his accession in 1625 until his son Prince Charles was born in 1630.

Not quite sure what the jig is with these heir presumptives but seeing as we are in the 17th C wasn't Janes II/VII heir presumptive from his birth all the way to the death of Charles II???
  • Options
    Toms said:

Now as for science, its progress relies on verification by experiment. All very good. But the standard interpretation of quantum mechanics is that measurement of small systems (that are probabilistic in their behaviour) is done by macroscopic systems, namely us (that are essentially not probabilistic).

Unfortunately the transition from small (quantum) systems to macroscopic (classical) systems is more or less continuous. So at what point do the measurements become unreliable and fuzzy? For we live in a universe with objects of all sizes.

Well, the most "popular" answer would probably be that everything is inherently probabilistic (as everything is made of fuzzy particles). Just that once you get to a certain size, the probabilities add up, and it becomes vanishingly unlikely (but not impossible) that, say, you'll one day jump up and instead of landing fall clean through the planet.

I'm I right in thinking there's a team of researchers confident of performing the double-slit experiment (which shows things being in two places at once) on a living organism, a virus, in the not-too distant future?
  • Options
    welshowl said:

JackW said:

Not quite sure what the jig is with these heir presumptives but seeing as we are in the 17th C wasn't Janes II/VII heir presumptive from his birth all the way to the death of Charles II???
    Hi there "welshowl"

We're looking for first in line heir apparent/presumptive who never succeeded to the throne. Thus clearly James II/VII is disqualified.

Moving on to the 18th century ....

Edward Duke of York was heir presumptive to his elder brother the newly ascended George III from 1760 until the arrival of the latters first son Prince George in 1762.

• Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,100
    carl said:

@carl

No, you don't do logic.

You've got theory A, in this case effectively that human induced CO2 emissions are warming and changing the climate.

You've got theories X,Y and Z that are effectively contrary (in this case, no warming, CO2 isn't a greenhouse gas, the Earth is flat which makes it heat up when the massive heater on the moon is pointed at it, and so on)

Lots of scientists have examined the hard evidence and found that it supports theory A, but undermines X,Y and Z. This is why theory A is "popular", and X,Y and Z are not.

Therefore, the "popularity" of theory A does, indeed, suggest that there is lots of evidence supporting it (in other words, it is robust / likely to be correct).

It's the same with any "popular" scientific theory you care to name, from quantum theory to evolutionary theory.

(Note, I am not a scientist)

At a basic level you are right, but AIUI the scientific process is more complex and sadly less pure than that.

If the funding is with theory A, then you will get most of the research into theory A and not the competing theories. What is more, human nature dictates that a scientist who believes theory A is correct (especially if he has written papers in it and/or gets funding for it) is likely to dismiss rival theories. This happens a great deal, and science can apparently be very nasty.

There is also the unthinking and thinking tendency to design research to get the answer you want or expect.

Like or loathe them, some of the climate sceptics (or even believers) have found holes in the published AGW science data and methodologies, although most of these have not effected the results much.

I had a lecturer at QMW who developed some key evidence in favour of the plate tectonics theory from aquifer boreholes. It took them many years to convince the scientific establishment that continental drift had, and was, occurring. If it had not been for military research into other areas, it may have taken years longer.

A good maxim to go by is: "Extraordinary claims demand extraordinary proof". But it also goes for both sides of the AGW discussion.
  • Options
    Signs you spend too much of your time talking about politics - (1) you can identify the President of the European Parliament on a tv quiz show.
  • Options
    What theory says that CO2 isn't a greenhouse gas?
    carl said:

@carl

No, you don't do logic.

• Options
    AveryLPAveryLP Posts: 7,815
    Count down to announcement ...
  • Options
    It's a prince
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    A boy born at 4:24 pm

8 pounds 6 oz
  • Options
    JackW said:

There's also the question of Elizabeth I's heir. Notoriously, she refused to name one but according to the terms of Henry VIII's will - which carried legal force under his Succession Act - it should have been the descendants of Henry's younger sister, Mary Tudor, who were in line. That provides several people who were legally heiress presumptive however after the debacle of the Jane Grey usurpation, the claims were not pushed too hard and as the line was ultimately passed over, arguably we shouldn't count any of them. If not, then perhaps Mary, Queen of Scots, should be included as an heir who didn't inherit. She certainly had her supporters and it was her line which - legally or not - won out.
  • Options
    carl said:

Toms said:

Well, the most "popular" answer would probably be that everything is inherently probabilistic (as everything is made of fuzzy particles). Just that once you get to a certain size, the probabilities add up, and it becomes vanishingly unlikely (but not impossible) that, say, you'll one day jump up and instead of landing fall clean through the planet.

I'm I right in thinking there's a team of researchers confident of performing the double-slit experiment (which shows things being in two places at once) on a living organism, a virus, in the not-too distant future?
    Traditionally you shouldn't say that the double slit expt shows that an electron, say,
    can be in two places at the same time, but only that it is where one *measures it to be*, which
    will be at one slit or the other with a certain probability.
    Certainly viruses are small and may be rather quantum probabilistic in their behaviour.
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    JackW said:

welshowl said:

JackW said:

Hi there "welshowl"

We're looking for first in line heir apparent/presumptive who never succeeded to the throne. Thus clearly James II/VII is disqualified.

Edward Duke of York was heir presumptive to his elder brother the newly ascended George III from 1760 until the arrival of the latters first son Prince George in 1762.

Ah I see. Ok do we need to rewind a tad in mid 18thC? Wasn't there a prince Frederick son of George II who didn't succeed? Was he GIII's father???
  • Options
  • Options
    old_labourold_labour Posts: 3,238
    Congratulations to those who bet on a boy! The wait must have been nerve-wracking.
  • Options
    richardDoddrichardDodd Posts: 5,472
    tim, assume away, you are probably wrong, as ever..
  • Options

JackW said:

There's also the question of Elizabeth I's heir. Notoriously, she refused to name one but according to the terms of Henry VIII's will - which carried legal force under his Succession Act - it should have been the descendants of Henry's younger sister, Mary Tudor, who were in line. That provides several people who were legally heiress presumptive however after the debacle of the Jane Grey usurpation, the claims were not pushed too hard and as the line was ultimately passed over, arguably we shouldn't count any of them. If not, then perhaps Mary, Queen of Scots, should be included as an heir who didn't inherit. She certainly had her supporters and it was her line which - legally or not - won out.
    Oh gawd !!

The potential heirs of Elizabeth I are a nightmare .... but fortunately us Scots sorted the mess out !!

• Options
    Elizabeth Windsor ‏@Queen_UK 2m

Text from George Osborne: "It's a baby!" Absolute moron. #RoyalBaby
  • Options
    welshowl said:

JackW said:

welshowl said:

JackW said:

Hi there "welshowl"

Ah I see. Ok do we need to rewind a tad in mid 18thC? Wasn't there a prince Frederick son of George II who didn't succeed? Was he GIII's father???
    Correct, although we've already noted Prince Frederick.

• Options
    RodCrosbyRodCrosby Posts: 7,737
    Kay Burley going crazy on Sky:

doesn't seem to be able to find a single English person in the crowd outside the hospital...
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,995

Congratulations to those who bet on a boy! The wait must have been nerve-wracking.

Bet they are thanking Kate for her slip of the tongue earlier this year.
  • Options
    Scrapheap_as_wasScrapheap_as_was Posts: 10,059
    edited July 2013
    Breaking news:

Babs Windsor has already been signed up to be a member of Unite and yet Ed Miliband has called for a judge-led public enquiry as to why this cynical news-stunt was timed to co-ordinate with his important speech on union funding changes for Labour.

Blinking conservative monarchists!
  • Options
    tim said:

I assume Dan Hodges predicted a girl

I assume you predicted a fop?
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    What odds on Ed, Elton, Murray or Gideon as the name?
  • Options
    No_Offence_AlanNo_Offence_Alan Posts: 3,854
    edited July 2013
    JackW said:

welshowl said:

JackW said:

welshowl said:

JackW said:

Hi there "welshowl"

Jack, you do know there's a whole Wiki page listing "Heirs apparent who never inherited the throne"?

Henry V is one - he died before he could inherit the throne of France - that would have been interesting.

Edit: Scar was heir presumptive until the heir apparent Simba was born.
  • Options
    JackW said:

welshowl said:

JackW said:

welshowl said:

JackW said:

Hi there "welshowl"

Sorry must keep up better :-(
  • Options
    Did Osborne have an amount equal to half the national debt on it being a boy? Is the debt all paid off now? If not, why not? Incompetent FOP!
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,291
    What are the crowds outside Buck House looking at?

Time to raise a glass.
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    The Guernsey government knows something we don't know.....

@govgg "Congratulations to the Duchess of Cambridge and the Prince of Wales on the birth of their baby boy."

https://mobile.twitter.com/GaryBurgessITV/status/359401761326379009/photo/1
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,008
    edited July 2013
    How did we not back the 2/1 it's a boy?!

Hoping for Prince Peter to weigh in at 250/1...
  • Options

JackW said:

welshowl said:

JackW said:

welshowl said:

JackW said:

Hi there "welshowl"

Jack, you do know there's a whole Wiki page listing "Heirs apparent who never inherited the throne"?

Henry V is one - he died before he could inherit the throne of France - that would have been interesting.
    Wiki is cheating !! .... and not inclusive of all !!

Here's a Henry VIII double ....

In 1511 and 1514 Catherine of Aragon gave birth to a son that both lived for a month and that were both heir apparent, named Henry and titled Duke of Cornwall.

• Options
    edited July 2013
    MODERATED
  • Options

The Guernsey government knows something we don't know.....

@govgg "Congratulations to the Duchess of Cambridge and the Prince of Wales on the birth of their baby boy."

LOL.

• Options
    King Cole, that's interesting. There have been some mutterings about the Sochi race, largely because of the immense overspend, due to corruption, of the Winter Olympics (we're talking billions of pounds). However, the Sirotkin deal with Sauber does suggest Russia is serious.
  • Options
    Patterson ruled out of Test series.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/cricket/23414036
  • Options
    SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,713
    Tim goes into spasms as cameron talks to the cameras outside no10
  • Options
    Dave celebrates as a father. A strong man who knows what in the best interests of children.

God Save the Queen.
  • Options
    JonathanDJonathanD Posts: 2,400

What odds on Ed, Elton, Murray or Gideon as the name?

What price the baby to be unveiled as Prince George at the same time Q2's GDP figures are released in honour of Osborne's status as national saviour?
  • Options
    AveryLP said:

Dave celebrates as a father.

I'm not a father but if I was a father I would have appreciated that as a father.
  • Options
    NextNext Posts: 826
    So it's a baby boy.

And yet another period of Labour that Rex the country.
  • Options
    PBModeratorPBModerator Posts: 661
    edited July 2013
    PLEASE KEEP IT CLEAN AND POLITE.
  • Options
    And the good news keeps on coming

We've still got YouGov to go!
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,468
    Neil said:

AveryLP said:

I'm not a father but if I was a father I would have appreciated that as a father.
    'And now on Channel 4, "Father Neil" starring Ardal O'Hanlon' :)
  • Options

King Cole, that's interesting. There have been some mutterings about the Sochi race, largely because of the immense overspend, due to corruption, of the Winter Olympics (we're talking billions of pounds). However, the Sirotkin deal with Sauber does suggest Russia is serious.

Mr Dancer, I can assure you my source is totally genuine. I understand the reported doubts but I saw my source after his return form Sochi.
  • Options
    Republicans up and down the country really really just groaning into their bitters tonight
  • Options
    JackW said:

JackW said:

Oh gawd !!

The potential heirs of Elizabeth I are a nightmare .... but fortunately us Scots sorted the mess out !!

Indeed. I think that legally, the heiresses presumptive would have been

1558-68: Catherine Grey (Jane Grey's younger sister. Catherine's marriage was annulled in 1562, resulting in her children and line becoming illegitimate).
    1568-78: Mary Grey (Catherine Grey's youngest sister)
    1578-96: Margaret Stanley (Daughter of the younger daughter of Mary Tudor)
    1596-1603: Anne Stanley (Granddaughter of the above; her father having predeceased her grandmother).
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,468
    Huzzah for the royal baby boy!

So, first time since early 1901 that four generations of monarch/heir presumptives are alive at once?
  • Options
    @dr_spyn

that's a shame, he's one of their best batsmen.
  • Options
    King Cole, I'm not doubting you/your source, and do appreciate the insight.

On Sirotkin, he's acknowledge he may be too young but doesn't feel he could pass up the (currently theoretical) chance of a seat in F1.
  • Options
    Kay Burley nearly wet herself there thinking William was coming out...
  • Options
    Belated congrats to Chris Froome. The best man won le Tour.I have read that the main language spoken in the "peloton" nowadays is English. As for cycling, what superb weather for it today, just pleasantly warm. Took a long way home from the office.
  • Options
    See learning all about town criers too. Everyday is a school day
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    Mr. Toms, I've probably shared this before but it's a cool fact so I shall share it again:

Peloton means 'firing squad' in German.

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Peloton

Edited extra bit: although my German A-level did teach me useful terms like die Peitsche (whip) and Molotow Cocktails, I learnt this one recently whilst researching German words starting with Pel- for a river name (for lore reasons).
  • Options
    Neil said:

AveryLP said:

Let us celebrate. From the Dublin version of Handel's Messiah. The Dunedin Consort under John Butt.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GfZqZlUN1qE

For unto us a son is born.
  • Options
    A Monday night in Liverpool?
    tim said:

Drunk/mad people on my telly

• Options

Mr. Toms, I've probably shared this before but it's a cool fact so I shall share it again

Peloton means 'firing squad' in German.

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Peloton

Edited extra bit: although my German A-level did teach me useful terms like die Peitsche (whip) and Molotow Cocktails, I learnt this one recently whilst researching German words starting with Pel- for a river name (for lore reasons).

How amusing! Also, more mundanely, this from the online dictiionary:

cycle racing the main field of riders in a road race

[C20: French, literally: pack]
  • Options
    What's the nearest boys name to Diana? Artemus?
  • Options
    edited July 2013

JackW said:

JackW said:

Oh gawd !!

Indeed. I think that legally, the heiresses presumptive would have been

1558-68: Catherine Grey (Jane Grey's younger sister. Catherine's marriage was annulled in 1562, resulting in her children and line becoming illegitimate).
    1568-78: Mary Grey (Catherine Grey's youngest sister)
    1578-96: Margaret Stanley (Daughter of the younger daughter of Mary Tudor)
    1596-1603: Anne Stanley (Granddaughter of the above; her father having predeceased her grandmother).
    Excellent Herders.

The only other potential candidate is Francis Duchess of Suffolk who was the eldest daughter of Henry VIII's sister Mary and was heir presumptive for I think some months after Queen Elizabeth succeeded until Francis died in 1559.

Some might dispute her claim as she renounced her claim in favour of Queen Jane Grey but might be considered reinstated after the latters execution.

This discussion has been closed.