Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » More data from today’s Trump visit YouGov polling

Comments

• Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited February 2017

rcs1000 said:

Thinking about Genius Sports (formerly Betgenius), it's a big question. Currently, we supply sports data (odds, etc.) to customers in the US. If its - say - basketball, then we have scores collected in stadiums in the US (domestic cost), then analysts and computer systems in the UK and Estonia process it and turn those scores into a product, which is then sold to customers in the US.

Where do the taxes fall?

I don't think they've figured out how (or even if) it would apply to services.
    It is actually a big worldwide problem. A couple of years ago the EU came up with a system to ensure VAT was paid EU made on digital goods based upon location of the customer (rather than the supplier).

The problem was that they can't actually really enforce it if somebody from outside the EU and decides to sell digital goods to EU customers VAT free. So small businesses in the EU have the extra cost of policing where customers are located, ensuring the correct VAT level is charged etc etc etc, where a their competitors overseas can basically say bugger it as the EU isn't going to know or really be able to punish them.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,001

rcs1000 said:

Is the Trumpsters import duty plan only on physical goods? What about digital items created outside of the US, then "imported" and sold there? Or services where some of the service is provided by employees located overseas?

Thinking about Genius Sports (formerly Betgenius), it's a big question. Currently, we supply sports data (odds, etc.) to customers in the US. If its - say - basketball, then we have scores collected in stadiums in the US (domestic cost), then analysts and computer systems in the UK and Estonia process it and turn those scores into a product, which is then sold to customers in the US.

Where do the taxes fall?
    I would suggest US. Point of sale.
    I was talking about the Border Tax Adjustment. What costs could be offset against tax? Right now, you have an internal charge from the UK to the US to reflect the cost of service provision, and which is used to determine how much tax should be paid in the US. Simplifying, to comply with existing rules, the US sells sports data to the UK, that sells odds back to the US.

The BTA would encourage all kinds of odd - non-economic - behaviour to minimise taxes.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,071

Scott_P said:

@SpenceLivermore: Voting for Article 50 is worse than giving Theresa May a blank cheque - it's giving her a cheque made out to Donald Trump

/ducks

Trump couldn't have come at a worse time for the advocates of Brexit. His looming presence will utterly taint any settlement the government manages to wrangle. Whatever happens now, it will always be perceived as Donald's Brexit, with Donald calling the shots and assuming full ownership. When Theresa signs the agreement, she doesn't want anyone with any ink hanging around.

http://ic.pics.livejournal.com/nwhyte/1071362/580741/580741_300.jpg
    Trump doesn't affect Brexit one way or another. Trump is for 8 years maximum. Brexit is for life. I hope you have got your head around that or you are going to have a very miserable existence.
    I do believe the EEA Brexiteers are frit.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

Is the Trumpsters import duty plan only on physical goods? What about digital items created outside of the US, then "imported" and sold there? Or services where some of the service is provided by employees located overseas?

Where do the taxes fall?
    BTW the link on your website to the github repo results in a 404.
    I think this is the right one: https://github.com/geniussportsgroup
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited February 2017
    Yikes:

May's plan for 'frictionless' border with Ireland after Brexit cannot be achieved, MPs told

Well worth a read - see the post at 14:09 here:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/blog/live/2017/feb/01/article-50-debate-vote-bill-pmqs-theresa-may-jeremy-corbyn-ivan-rogers-to-give-evidence-to-mps-about-why-he-quit-as-uks-ambassador-to-eu-politics-live
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,981
    edited February 2017
    Pulpstar said:

Scott_P said:

Salmond is the great tragic clown of British politics. We should relish his every performance before the curtain fails.

https://twitter.com/politicshome/status/826784124899835905
    Were you betting that Nicola is a bottler ?
    Scott has no clue , he imagines the SNP are as craven as the Tories, he does not understand "principles".
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,311

Scott_P said:

@SpenceLivermore: Voting for Article 50 is worse than giving Theresa May a blank cheque - it's giving her a cheque made out to Donald Trump

/ducks

Trump couldn't have come at a worse time for the advocates of Brexit. His looming presence will utterly taint any settlement the government manages to wrangle. Whatever happens now, it will always be perceived as Donald's Brexit, with Donald calling the shots and assuming full ownership. When Theresa signs the agreement, she doesn't want anyone with any ink hanging around.

Trump doesn't affect Brexit one way or another. Trump is for 8 years maximum. Brexit is for life. I hope you have got your head around that or you are going to have a very miserable existence.
    Initial conditions, dear boy, initial conditions.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929
    edited February 2017
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Where do the taxes fall?
    I was talking about the Border Tax Adjustment. What costs could be offset against tax? Right now, you have an internal charge from the UK to the US to reflect the cost of service provision, and which is used to determine how much tax should be paid in the US. Simplifying, to comply with existing rules, the US sells sports data to the UK, that sells odds back to the US.

The BTA would encourage all kinds of odd - non-economic - behaviour to minimise taxes.
    My employer is a subsidiary wholly owned subsidiary of a US company, some but not all of our supply is to the US and our accounts are consolidated into theirs of course at year end. We do drawing etc work for them when we've got slack.
    *Ponders how this might affect us*
    Our owners are US and we generally have a very good relationship with them.
  • Options

Scott_P said:

/ducks

Why wold I be frit in any way? I am delighted that we are leaving the EU. It is first and foremost the most important thing I have campaigned for for much of my adult life. Of course I have preferences as to the subsequent arrangements but none of them are worse than remaining in the EU. So whatever the outcome I come out ahead. If anything the only thing I am frit about is losing my bet with Richard N. And even there it would only be levelling the score.

I do believe you diehard Eurofanatics are screwed.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,625
    I see that the Scottish govenment has started a 'consultation' on fracking.

http://www.talkingfracking.scot/

Does this mean:

a) They don't have a policy

b) They want to give it the go-ahead, but put the blame on other people to dodge future protests
  • Options

Scott_P said:

/ducks

The best bet would not be to sign a deal with Trump and to wait until after the backlash has had effect in 2020.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Where do the taxes fall?

Sorry yes I realised that after I read through the thread. To be honest I am not sure that Trumps strange plan can work for the sorts of non-goods trade you are talking about. And as others have pointed out it is going to really cause chaos for small US businesses. Like so much of Trump's agenda it appears to be one of those things that is all soundbite and no forethought.
  • Options
    dr_spyn said:

Salmond goes on about trump like he never met the guy.

Who invited Trump to Holyrood?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/scotland/9227011/US-tycoon-Donald-Trump-appears-in-Scottish-Parliament.html
    Can you read, he was up in front of a parliamentary committee so absolutely nothing to do with Salmond other than Salmond approved the wind farm.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

On the subject of morality, I've been thinking about post-natal abortion. Do people think the 20th trimester is a sensible cut off point?

If you use the 'personhood' argument to justify abortion, then the 3rd birthday is probably a reasonable cut-off point.
    With a special extension for non communicative teenagers?
  • Options
    PlatoSaidPlatoSaid Posts: 10,383
    edited February 2017
    And he does it

"The White House has refused to send its spokespeople or surrogates onto CNN shows, effectively icing out the network from on-air administration voices.

“We’re sending surrogates to places where we think it makes sense to promote our agenda,” said a White House official, acknowledging that CNN is not such a place, but adding that the ban is not permanent.

...Administration officials are still answering questions from CNN reporters. But administration officials including White House Press Secretary Sean Spicer and senior counselor Kellyanne Conway haven't appeared on the network's programming in recent weeks.

Spicer, speaking at an event at the George Washington University on Monday, denied that CNN was being frozen out, pointing out that he’s answered CNN’s questions in the regular daily briefings.

But, he added "I'm not going to sit around and engage with people who have no desire to actually get something right."
    http://www.politico.com/story/2017/01/trump-cnn-press-234455
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Where do the taxes fall?

Sorry yes I realised that after I read through the thread. To be honest I am not sure that Trumps strange plan can work for the sorts of non-goods trade you are talking about. And as others have pointed out it is going to really cause chaos for small US businesses. Like so much of Trump's agenda it appears to be one of those things that is all soundbite and no forethought.
    Genius Sports is large enough to structure their business around minimising this kind of tax. It's going to be an absolute nightmare for any small business that has overseas customers and suppliers.
  • Options

Does this mean:

b) They want to give it the go-ahead, but put the blame on other people to dodge future protests

They want backup for full ban.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Where do the taxes fall?

My employer is a subsidiary wholly owned subsidiary of a US company, some but not all of our supply is to the US and our accounts are consolidated into theirs of course at year end. We do drawing etc work for them when we've got slack.
    *Ponders how this might affect us*
    Our owners are US and we generally have a very good relationship with them.
    This is a pretty blunt tool, nakedly aimed at the manufacturing industries. The impact of the law of unintended consequences will be huge, if there are no carve outs for any of the service industries. As Robert said, this is likely to motivate some pretty perverse non-economic behaviours.
  • Options
    JobabobJobabob Posts: 3,807
    PlatoSaid said:

@PlatoSaid The evidence is looking at all GOP senators and congressmen and women and seeing how many of them adopt. It's not that many.

@Richard_Nabavi Abortion and Infanticide are not the same thing. But I think you know that.

Then provide evidence for it, not your word - you know how PB works.
    Ha ha ha ha ha.

Post of the year from the Queen of Fake News.
  • Options
    Pauly said:

Jobabob said:

I really struggle to understand this idea that MPs have a 'duty' to vote for A50.

If capital punishment was passed in a referendum (God forbid) I wouldn't vote for it in parliament were I an MP. And nor, would I suggest, ought abolitionist MPs.

You get these issues when you break with the simple principles of representative democracy.

That would be fine because you would vote against the referendum bill in the first place. This is not the position many europhilic MPs took.

They voted for an advisory referendum. They've decided not to take the advice. Their constituents will pass judgement. Welcome to our Parliamentary democracy.

• Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503
    edited February 2017

Scott_P said:

/ducks

Why wold I be frit in any way? I am delighted that we are leaving the EU. It is first and foremost the most important thing I have campaigned for for much of my adult life. Of course I have preferences as to the subsequent arrangements but none of them are worse than remaining in the EU. So whatever the outcome I come out ahead. If anything the only thing I am frit about is losing my bet with Richard N. And even there it would only be levelling the score.

Let me briefly break my self-imposed exile to +1. I would have preferred EFTA/EEA, but them's the breaks. I was downcast for a couple of days but have now rediscovered my inner Tigger. Up, up and away!
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:
    What about 'metaphorically'?
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Does this mean:

That would be the outright ban that the SNP abstained on when it was voted on at Holyrood?
  • Options
    edited February 2017

malcolmg said:

Does this mean:

That would be the outright ban that the SNP abstained on when it was voted on at Holyrood?
    They will still ban it but not at the behest of Labour donkeys.
  • Options

Actually it isn't Trump's idea originally, although it dovetails quite well with his pre-election promises. It's a relatively serious proposal by Republican congressmen:

https://taxfoundation.org/house-gop-s-destination-based-cash-flow-tax-explained

• Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP TRUMPTRUMP TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP TRUMPTRUMP TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP TRUMPTRUMP TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP TRUMPTRUMP TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP TRUMPTRUMP TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP TRUMPTRUMP TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Does this mean:

They will still ban it but not at the behest of Labour donkeys.
    Or they will allow it at the behest of Ineos. Let's wait and see.
  • Options

Actually it isn't Trump's idea originally, although it dovetails quite well with his pre-election promises. It's a relatively serious proposal by Republican congressmen:

https://taxfoundation.org/house-gop-s-destination-based-cash-flow-tax-explained

It still strikes me as an unworkable and ultimately very daft idea. Mr Trump continues to live down to my expectations.
  • Options
    Chris Jordan the new Jade Dernbach?
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    edited February 2017

PlatoSaid said:
    What about 'metaphorically'?
    Not even then. - BTW, CNN might do well by themselves, to publish that response by Kraft, might calm the waters a bit as now they are just cutting off their noses to spite their face.
  • Options

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP TRUMPTRUMP TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP TRUMPTRUMP TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP TRUMPTRUMP TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP TRUMPTRUMP TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP TRUMPTRUMP TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP TRUMPTRUMP TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

Makes a change from Brexit and the EU.
  • Options
    PA
    #Breaking Senate committee approves Donald Trump's treasury and health nominees without Democrats present https://t.co/5K2lyOliIb
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,115
    edited February 2017
    malcolmg said:

dr_spyn said:

Salmond goes on about trump like he never met the guy.

Who invited Trump to Holyrood?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/scotland/9227011/US-tycoon-Donald-Trump-appears-in-Scottish-Parliament.html
    Can you read, he was up in front of a parliamentary committee so absolutely nothing to do with Salmond other than Salmond approved the wind farm.
    That was the point that all the Yoons on here that had been saying how awful Salmond was for cosying up to Trump did an about turn and started crowing about what a terrible enemy Eck had made. Since the current position of most of them is to get as far up Don's backside as possible, I guess they'll still be thinking of Trump as the destroyer of Scottish indy.
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

And cutting through the cobblers again

Donald J Trump
    Everybody is arguing whether or not it is a BAN. Call it what you want, it is about keeping bad people (with bad intentions) out of country!

Is it? Or is it about spending the next four years trying to ratchet up Islamophobia in the knowledge that without fueling such prejudice to new heights his hopes of getting a second term will be dead in the water? Doing so in the cynical knowledge of the greater security threat that that will cause not only to the US but also the UK, as well as the knowledge of the impact on hundreds of thousands of people and families who are no more "bad people" than you or I. All seen as a price worth paying to secure his personal psychotic ambition.
  • Options
    John_M said:

Scott_P said:

/ducks

Let me briefly break my self-imposed exile to +1. I would have preferred EFTA/EEA, but them's the breaks. I was downcast for a couple of days but have now rediscovered my inner Tigger. Up, up and away!
    It continues to offend me as a Conservative that we have agreed to make ourselves poorer.
  • Options
    Not all lost for England...average score batting first at this venue in IPL, 197.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,930
    Pulpstar said:
    Was Nuttall claiming to have been living in Stoke then? If not cant see how it matters
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    Oh FFS Jordan....bring back Dernbach!
  • Options
    "It is not clear yet whether junior frontbenchers will be sacked if they go against the whip. In normal circumstances that is what would happen, but Jeremy Corbyn has said that he understands why MPs representing pro-remain constituencies may find it hard backing the bill."

Isn't that the definition of a three line whip?
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Surprised you're not talking about this.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2017/feb/01/eu-brexit-deal-city-leaked-report-european-parliament-article-50

Leaked EU parliament report. Basically, if the EU tries to fuck the City, that will fuck the EU, so they might have to be unexpectedly nice to us.

It is in both the EU's interests and ours to have a sensible, workable post-Brexit settlement.
  • Options
    I must admit I like the expose of Mr Nuttall's 'home'. Amusing.
  • Options

Not all lost for England...average score batting first at this venue in IPL, 197.

That includes an RCB match that had a 175* from Chrissie Gayle in the first Inns though
  • Options
    isam said:

That includes an RCB match that had a 175* from Chrissie Gayle in the first Inns though
    Standard...
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

SeanT said:

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2017/feb/01/eu-brexit-deal-city-leaked-report-european-parliament-article-50

Leaked EU parliament report. Basically, if the EU tries to fuck the City, that will fuck the EU, so they might have to be unexpectedly nice to us.

It is in both the EU's interests and ours to have a sensible, workable post-Brexit settlement.
    We have to show them that it is in their best interests. That's all this negotiation will be about.

Strong Britain = strong EU not weak Britain = strong EU

The complicating factor is that a weak Britain would be bad for member states but might be good for the EU as an institution. That's what we've got to handle.
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,937
    edited February 2017
    Like Trump, Jeremy Corbyn won't speak to media outlets he doesn't like. Not sure it's the best idea.
  • Options
    The fact he had to even talk about down there, kind of tells you how 'small' it must be....
  • Options
    Head in hands....
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

SeanT said:

I'm sure at some point people will realise exactly which body will be granting, and ensuring continuing equivalence. Or perhaps not.
  • Options

Like Trump, Jeremy Corbyn won't speak to media outlets he doesn't like. Not sure it's the best idea.

Who is on Jezza's approved list at the moment? Morning Star, Press TV and ?
  • Options
    Who knows if this is true

.@SariHorwitz reports that White House sent a real "you're fired" letter to Yates. Let's see if we can FOIA it: https://t.co/SwqoUyhaLp https://t.co/elqirERmDY
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

.@SariHorwitz reports that White House sent a real "you're fired" letter to Yates. Let's see if we can FOIA it: https://t.co/SwqoUyhaLp https://t.co/elqirERmDY

I'm interested Plato if you're supportive of this method of dealing with Attorneys General?
  • Options
    Andrew Neil
    NIESR revises up its UK growth forecast for 2017 by 0.3 percentage points to 1.7%. City consensus of <1.5% wilting.
  • Options

Your Nellie the Elephant record has got a scratch in it.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

rcs1000 said:

SeanT said:

Indeed. I reckon logic will prevail. If you listen to the EU Commission then they're gonna turn Britain into a pile of reeking ashes, if you listen to quieter voices in the nation states, Spain, Italy, Sweden, then they want an equable deal.

They have nothing to fear from Brexit encouraging others. We were only halfway in anyway. We were unique. For those inside the euro, i.e. nearly all of the remaining EU, the die is cast. They can never leave.

The Commission is subservient to the member states. They will determine the deal we get, not the bureaucrats and MEPs in Brussels.

• Options

Your Nellie the Elephant record has got a scratch in it.
    I don't think Donald will be leaving the circus any time soon.
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    PlatoSaid said:

Andrew Neil
    NIESR revises up its UK growth forecast for 2017 by 0.3 percentage points to 1.7%. City consensus of <1.5% wilting </p>

Despite Brexit

Fixed for him...
  • Options

SeanT said:

rcs1000 said:

SeanT said:

Indeed. I reckon logic will prevail. If you listen to the EU Commission then they're gonna turn Britain into a pile of reeking ashes, if you listen to quieter voices in the nation states, Spain, Italy, Sweden, then they want an equable deal.

They have nothing to fear from Brexit encouraging others. We were only halfway in anyway. We were unique. For those inside the euro, i.e. nearly all of the remaining EU, the die is cast. They can never leave.

The Commission is subservient to the member states. They will determine the deal we get, not the bureaucrats and MEPs in Brussels.

This should be our priority. Ensure that member states win out.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

PlatoSaid said:

Andrew Neil
    NIESR revises up its UK growth forecast for 2017 by 0.3 percentage points to 1.7%. City consensus of <1.5% wilting.</p>

At this rate Brexit Britain will soon be like 1990s China. 6 % growth. Mile high skyscrapers in Macclesfield.
    And with the smog?
  • Options

PlatoSaid said:

I'm interested Plato if you're supportive of this method of dealing with Attorneys General?
    Well Trump's no Richard Nixon.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

PlatoSaid said:

Andrew Neil
    NIESR revises up its UK growth forecast for 2017 by 0.3 percentage points to 1.7%. City consensus of <1.5% wilting.</p>

At this rate Brexit Britain will soon be like 1990s China. 6 % growth. Mile high skyscrapers in Macclesfield.

With strong economic indicators in other parts of the single market, it would be a surprise if there were no benefit to us.

• Options
    OllyTOllyT Posts: 4,913
    Jobabob said:

PlatoSaid said:

@PlatoSaid The evidence is looking at all GOP senators and congressmen and women and seeing how many of them adopt. It's not that many.

@Richard_Nabavi Abortion and Infanticide are not the same thing. But I think you know that.

Then provide evidence for it, not your word - you know how PB works.
    Ha ha ha ha ha.

Post of the year from the Queen of Fake News.
    I don't know how she keeps a straight face
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited February 2017

It still strikes me as an unworkable and ultimately very daft idea. Mr Trump continues to live down to my expectations.

That was my initial reaction, but having done some further reading, I think it might not be such a daft idea after all. At least, it has some quite heavyweight research behind it:

https://www.americanprogress.org/wp-content/uploads/issues/2010/12/pdf/auerbachpaper.pdf

http://www.aei.org/publication/keynes-at-the-border/

One of the claims is that it deals with the thorny question of profit-shifting between countries.

The transition looks tricky, though, involving big exchange-rate shifts, and some big winners and losers.
  • Options
    Good afternoon, everyone.

F1: in news as surprising as a vegan telling you they're a vegan, Lowe has gone to Williams:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/38680524
  • Options
    SeanT said:

PlatoSaid said:

Andrew Neil

Didn't China grow at 12% per annum in the 90s?
  • Options

SeanT said:

PlatoSaid said:

Andrew Neil

And with the smog?
    That's on Teesside.
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    Cricket changed a bit since Sir Geoffrey's day....reverse sweep for 6 in the 2nd over...
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    SeanT said:

Quite so. My mistake. TWO mile high skyscrapers in Macclesfield.

But seriously, I do wonder if we may see a small boom as Britain goes indy. Everyone is expecting disaster, plague and famine, but if and when this is not shown to be the case, I wonder if confidence will swing to the other extreme, and animal spirits will take over.

We shall see.

British manufacturers are seeing prices rise at the fastest rate in a quarter of a century following the collapse in the pound in a clear foreshadowing of the inflation pressures building in the economy.

A survey of private sector activity found that input costs at UK factories rocketed in January. Companies blamed the 15 per cent fall in sterling against the dollar caused by the Brexit vote.

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/business/manufacturers-bills-rise-at-fastest-rate-on-record-n9zpg0n6x
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,115
    edited February 2017
    I'm sure when highly popular MEP Farage finally leaves the gravy train..sorry..EU parliament, they'll throw a huge farewell party for him.

https://twitter.com/SPIEGEL_Politik/status/826811312739074048

To which he won't be invited.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

SeanT said:

rcs1000 said:

SeanT said:

So cheer the F up! It's not going to be the Apocalypse. A deal will be done. Our future is neither Utopian nor Dystopian. But we do know that from 2019 the British people will elect and eject all the people who seek to govern us.

I don't think the sovereignty we will gain will, in practice, compensate for the economic downside of leaving the single market. I slso never felt Britain was particularly emasculated within the EU; not that I have ever been fond of its institutions.

• Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    edited February 2017
    Meanwhile in Scotland, Nicola's poodle is primed to vote through her budget
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,205
    edited February 2017

It is wrong to discriminate against people based on their religion and place of birth;

Yes - as a general rule. But if those factors were relevant to the risk you were assessing then it might well be sensible to take those factors into account when making a decision such as whether to grant a visa or not.

Stating that one should never discriminate on the basis of a factor, regardless of whether it is relevant, is as silly as saying that, for instance, because one 58-year old woman murdered her husband all 58-year women should be put under suspicion.

On the other hand, if there were a regular spate of 58-year old ladies embarking on murder sprees...........

The issue which Trump is trying - very clumsily and ineptly and potentially illegally - trying to address is the fact that there is a threat from some Muslims and this threat does appear to come from Muslims in or from particular countries. Those who rightly criticize him for the way he is going about it would do better to come up with some effective solutions to the risk.

Or we can do nothing about the risk. How popular or sensible do you think that might be?
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

On the subject of morality, I've been thinking about post-natal abortion. Do people think the 20th trimester is a sensible cut off point?

If you use the 'personhood' argument to justify abortion, then the 3rd birthday is probably a reasonable cut-off point.
    Meh, my 3 year-old's become much more feral than she was at 2.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

@Richard_Nabavi you are so on the defensive that it's hilarious. No I don't think that those who want earlier term dates are evil or misogynists. According to this: http://howtoadult.com/soon-baby-survive-outside-womb-6167934.html the earliest a child can survive outside the womb is 22 weeks. So there is a case for reducing the term limit to 22 weeks. As for the religious right: they may well be being consistent in their position, but their position has no nuance and argues putting through women who have already been through an incredibly traumatic event with more trauma. Furthermore it also advocates introducing more unwanted children into the world. These same people on the religious right don't like birth control - which is actually a way of preventing abortion.

On the defensive? Defensive of whom? I was describing other people's views, not mine.

Not with much success, it has to be said.

Still I'm pleased to hear that you don't think those who oppose abortion under any circumstances are misogynistic.

Incidentally, I've never really understood why the date at which a premature baby can survive outside the womb is relevant to the question, especially when that makes the cut-off date dependent on technological advances in incubator design and medical gizmos. For that matter, a new-born baby can't survive unaided. It's always seemed to me to be an entirely irrelevant point, and it's certainly irrelevant for those whose opposition to abortion is based on a religious principle.
    It's not unaided: it's without support from the mother.

It's a question of the rights of the child vs the rights of the mother and what the trade off is between them.

Same question, really, as whether one person should be allowed to smoke in a room or not.
  • Options
    isam said:

Pulpstar said:
    Was Nuttall claiming to have been living in Stoke then? If not cant see how it matters
    Michael Crick says it was put as his home address. See 3.85 below.

From http://www.electoralcommission.org.uk/__data/assets/pdf_file/0011/175376/Part-C-Administering-the-poll-UKPGE-LGEW.pdf

Home address form
    3.82 Candidates are also required to complete a home address form, which
    must be delivered by hand by the persons who can deliver the nomination
    form and by the close of nominations. The form is not prescribed but the
    information that needs to be provided is set out in law.
    3.83 On the home address form the candidate must state their name and
    home address. The address does not need to be in the constituency in which
    the candidate intends to stand.
    3.84 The home address:
     must be completed in full
     must not contain abbreviations
     must be your current home address
     must not be a business address (unless the candidate runs a business
    from their home)
    3.85 If any detail of the home address is wrong or omitted, the nomination is
    not automatically invalid if the description of the place is such as to be
    commonly understood (see also paragraph 3.115 below).
  • Options
    Mr. Observer, it's already very complicated to leave the EU. Suppose the constant creep of powers from here to Brussels continued, and you then did feel it had gone too far. With no prospect of reversing the trend you might want us to leave. But could we, given how difficult it may be even from the current position?

There's already talk of the EU Army. For many, that's far too far.
  • Options

That was my initial reaction, but having done some further reading, I think it might not be such a daft idea after all. At least, it has some quite heavyweight research behind it:

https://www.americanprogress.org/wp-content/uploads/issues/2010/12/pdf/auerbachpaper.pdf

http://www.aei.org/publication/keynes-at-the-border/

One of the claims is that it deals with the thorny question of profit-shifting between countries.

The transition looks tricky, though, involving big exchange-rate shifts, and some big winners and losers.
    I'm still trying to work out what it might mean for my (direct UK) employer and my (ultimate US employer.
    I guess an hourly rate of $75 / hour for work etc rather than $100 would benefit them taxwise, of course that can't go down too far or our own HMRC will have something to say..
    Not something my immediate (UK) boss will bring up in the board meeting ;)
  • Options

isam said:

Pulpstar said:

From http://www.electoralcommission.org.uk/__data/assets/pdf_file/0011/175376/Part-C-Administering-the-poll-UKPGE-LGEW.pdf

Home address form
    3.84 The home address:
    from their home)
    Go on

Give us para 3.115 :)
  • Options

..must be your current home address..

Oh dear.

I think it would be prudent for anyone betting on UKIP to cover their position sharpish...
  • Options
    SeanT said:

rcs1000 said:

SeanT said:

PlatoSaid said:

Andrew Neil

Didn't China grow at 12% per annum in the 90s?

But seriously, I do wonder if we may see a small boom as Britain goes indy. Everyone is expecting disaster, plague and famine, but if and when this is not shown to be the case, I wonder if confidence will swing to the other extreme, and animal spirits will take over.

We shall see.
    Just apropos this, and observations that Max (amongst others) have made concerning one of the main rivals to London, Hong Kong (or, worse, Shanghai):

https://www.ft.com/content/4335d364-e7d4-11e6-893c-082c54a7f539

In essence, wealthy tycoons and execs in HK are increasingly having their collars felt as part of the "anti-corruption" purges. It's no longer a safe haven from the mainland.

This will be a limiting factor in the movement of FS from London or NY. That ol' impartial rule of law thing again.
  • Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,351
    The fact he had to even talk about down there, kind of tells you how 'small' it must be...."

It reminds me of the old joke ... A man gets undressed and the woman looks pitying at his wotsit.

"That's a bit small," she says. "Who's that going to satisfy?"

"Me," the man replies.
  • Options

Oh dear.

I think it would be prudent for anyone betting on UKIP to cover their position sharpish...
    I have a big fat red against UKIP in Stoke, do I double up?

My only consolation is I know of few other PBers with even bigger reds than me.
  • Options

PlatoSaid said:

Yates wanted to be a martyr by defying her new boss - and she'd only a tiny window to do it. I think she'd have picked a fight over anything. Trump had no choice - her own letter was awful whiny wibble. I've not seen it mentioned since. Truly 15 mins of fame, her job sat with the Exec branch - she should've resigned - and didn't.
  • Options
    edited February 2017

isam said:

Pulpstar said:

Home address form
    3.84 The home address:
    from their home)
    Unless he is claiming to have been living in Stoke, I cant see that it matters. As he obviously doesn't claim to be from Stoke, and wouldn't appear to claim to have been living there in any interviews etc, I would say this is an admin error that will not affect the outcome of the by Election in the slightest.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Meanwhile in Scotland, Nicola's poodle is primed to vote through her budget

Aye, it's 2009 all over again..

'Were the Scottish Tories right to back the SNP budget?'

https://tinyurl.com/zbzpkp2

Woof, woof, as Nico 'The Wardrobe' Soames might say.
  • Options
    Mr. Eagles, UKIP still 9 to be under 20% in Stoke at Ladbrokes.
  • Options
    isam said:

isam said:

Pulpstar said:

Home address form
    3.84 The home address:
    from their home)
    Unless he is claiming to have been living in Stoke, I cant see that it matters. As he obviously doesn't claim to be from Stoke, and wouldn't appear to claim to have been living there in any interviews etc, I would say this is an admin error that will not affect the outcome of the by Election in the slightest.
    3.84 The home address:
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

I'm still trying to work out what it might mean for my (direct UK) employer and my (ultimate US employer.
    I guess an hourly rate of $75 / hour for work etc rather than $100 would benefit them taxwise, of course that can't go down too far or our own HMRC will have something to say..
    Not something my immediate (UK) boss will bring up in the board meeting ;)

I don't think the rate matters. If they buy anything from abroad - including your services here in the UK - then that expenditure is not deductible for corporation tax purposes. So it doesn't matter whether the rate is too high or too low, it is simply ignored in the calculation of US tax (ie not an allowable expense).

The fact that this eliminates the incentive to fiddle transfer pricing is one of the claimed advantages of the proposed system.
  • Options
    Is this Nutall incorrect home address down to another mistakes by another overly keen supporter, like him being a pro footballer and having a PhD? ;-)
  • Options

Oh dear.

Will he get chucked out on the back of it?
  • Options

NEW THREAD

• Options

Oh dear.

Thanks, I e covered myself to be safe
  • Options
    weejonnieweejonnie Posts: 3,820
    SeanT said:

Scott_P said:

SeanT said:

We shall see.

British manufacturers are seeing prices rise at the fastest rate in a quarter of a century following the collapse in the pound in a clear foreshadowing of the inflation pressures building in the economy.

A survey of private sector activity found that input costs at UK factories rocketed in January. Companies blamed the 15 per cent fall in sterling against the dollar caused by the Brexit vote.

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/business/manufacturers-bills-rise-at-fastest-rate-on-record-n9zpg0n6x
    lol. UK inflation rate: 1.6%

https://www.ons.gov.uk/economy/inflationandpriceindices/bulletins/consumerpriceinflation/latest

You're just gonna have to do BETTER
    There is always a delay between input prices going up and consumer prices going up.

I suppose manufacturers can always reduce the size of the goods they sell.

BTW New Thread.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,850
    rcs1000 said:

Maybe just restore the old Roman law that gave the Paterfamilias power of life and death over his children.

When the first Brutus discovered that his sons were plotting to restore Tarquin, he had them flogged and beheaded.
  • Options
    Court News
    Judge adjourns sentencing of PIE paedophile who admitted 45 offences because he needs to think about the correct jail term overnight.

Hi Harriet - what do you think?
This discussion has been closed.