Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Trump’s net Gallup approval ratings drops 8 points in first we

124»

Comments

• Options
    The obscure truth about THAT picture: Theresa May had to take hold of Donald Trump's hand because 'the US President has BATHMOPHOBIA' - a fear of falling down steps and slopes!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4167600/Theresa-held-Trump-s-hand-stairs-fear.html

I bet that is what he tells all the ladies....
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,372
    edited January 2017
    isam said:

Faux naivety from immigrant bashing isam.

Get it right or go to bed! I am bashing immigrants actually, unless you think the native Americans were not native
    Was there a "not" missing there? Perhaps we should all go to bed.
  • Options
    TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,004
    viewcode said:

IanB2 said:

viewcode said:

Much as I hate to interrupt the discussion of the migration criteria imposed by another country on itself, may I ask the PB Brains Trust about something more pressing? Specifically, movements in USD/GBP over the next week. I purchased some USD at £1=$1.21 prior to May's outline of Brexit approach. This was in the expectation of GBP going south. But that did not happen and a few days later, Trump was inaugurated and USD started going down at the rate of about 2-2.5 cents per week. It's currently at £1=$1.255.

The consensus was that USD would increase throughout the year. Republican presidents usually have a honeymoon period in which USD increases, there are rumours of a rise in US interest rates later in the year, and there's Article 50 in March. So I though USD was a slam dunk. But Trump is a RINO and his remarks and actions are frightening the markets, who prefer calm pursuit of profit to all this shouting and ideological gubbins.

So I'm wondering: will USD continue to drift south? Is Brexit baked in and Trump now the New Abnormal? Anybody got any thoughts?

It's often a good rule that when absolutely everyone expects something to happen, the opposite has a habit of being what actually transpires, because all the people backing the expected have their positions open already. That was my view when we were down at $1.21, and many were taking about $1.10 - as I posted here - and the rise back to $1.25 has made me a few £. In the medium term I wouldn't be surprised to see this trend continue - $1.25 is abnormally low, after all - except that the triggering of A50 is starting to loom and some sort of short term reaction to that is very likely. Hence I am unwinding most of my position; holding a currency position through a big announcement is only for the brave.
    Thank you. My options are a) close the position and suck up the approx £300 loss, or b) hold it open as a just-in-case. As ever, I shall vacillate then claim I planned it all along. I love it when a plan comes together...
    Perhaps just hold onto it ?

Take a trip to the USA at some point maybe..

You're not exactly missing out on much interest at the bank !
  • Options
    I was thinking more of the episode where they play WoW !
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 19,036
    Pulpstar said:

viewcode said:

IanB2 said:

viewcode said:

Much as I hate to interrupt the discussion of the migration criteria imposed by another country on itself, may I ask the PB Brains Trust about something more pressing? Specifically, movements in USD/GBP over the next week. I purchased some USD at £1=$1.21 prior to May's outline of Brexit approach. This was in the expectation of GBP going south. But that did not happen and a few days later, Trump was inaugurated and USD started going down at the rate of about 2-2.5 cents per week. It's currently at £1=$1.255.

The consensus was that USD would increase throughout the year. Republican presidents usually have a honeymoon period in which USD increases, there are rumours of a rise in US interest rates later in the year, and there's Article 50 in March. So I though USD was a slam dunk. But Trump is a RINO and his remarks and actions are frightening the markets, who prefer calm pursuit of profit to all this shouting and ideological gubbins.

So I'm wondering: will USD continue to drift south? Is Brexit baked in and Trump now the New Abnormal? Anybody got any thoughts?

It's often a good rule that when absolutely everyone expects something to happen, the opposite has a habit of being what actually transpires, because all the people backing the expected have their positions open already. That was my view when we were down at $1.21, and many were taking about $1.10 - as I posted here - and the rise back to $1.25 has made me a few £. In the medium term I wouldn't be surprised to see this trend continue - $1.25 is abnormally low, after all - except that the triggering of A50 is starting to loom and some sort of short term reaction to that is very likely. Hence I am unwinding most of my position; holding a currency position through a big announcement is only for the brave.
    Thank you. My options are a) close the position and suck up the approx £300 loss, or b) hold it open as a just-in-case. As ever, I shall vacillate then claim I planned it all along. I love it when a plan comes together...

Weirdly, I am hoping to go to the JSM in Baltimore in July (https://ww2.amstat.org/meetings/jsm/2017/conferenceinfo.cfm ). The running joke in the office is when it's in a nice place somebody else goes, but when in a bad place I get to go. This year it's in Baltimore... :)
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,298
    edited January 2017
    viewcode said:

Pulpstar said:

viewcode said:

IanB2 said:

viewcode said:

Weirdly, I am hoping to go to the JSM in Baltimore in July (https://ww2.amstat.org/meetings/jsm/2017/conferenceinfo.cfm ). The running joke in the office is when it's in a nice place somebody else goes, but when in a bad place I get to go. This year it's in Baltimore... :)
    Oh god...unlucky...recent years were places like Chicago, Seattle and Boston. All great cities to visit. Baltimore, erhh, not so much.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,634

isam said:

Get it right or go to bed! I am bashing immigrants actually, unless you think the native Americans were not native
    Every human on Earth is an immigrant. Even the people in the Rift Valley in Africa today are not direct descendants of the original humans - the ebb and flow of population has seen to that.
  • Options

isam said:

isam said:

Actually watching the portillo in America show at the moment... the horrible treatment of Native Americans was far more appalling than anything going on at the moment

Not sure what point you are trying to make here Sam. The fact that in another age people did horrible things does not excuse their descendants doing horrible things today.
    Are we still allowed to say we think some things are worse than others? Or does the latest horror always have to be the worst ever?
    Not at all. I just didn't see the point you were trying to make. We all generally know that things were more horrible in the past. It is not an excuse for things today.
    Though a surprising number of people think the Good Old Days were... well, Good. Not just on the idiot Right - the green belief in the primitive and the idea of the "innocence of humans before capitalism" crowd....

Every time I hear someone praising subsistence agriculture I have a strong desire to practise it upon him, to misquote Lincoln.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 19,036

Oh god...unlucky...recent years were places like Chicago, Seattle and Boston. All great cities to visit. Baltimore, erhh, not so much.

Amen
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,053

People are upset that May is trying the build a special relationship with the Trump, given how morally repulsive he is.

The real question is what danger does the special relationship put us in given Trump's hamfisted approach to everything, including global affairs?

What if he strays into a shooting war?

He looks really old; the Presidential Senescence Acceleration effect has already kicked in. Hopefully, he'll be dead soon.
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

People are upset that May is trying the build a special relationship with the Trump, given how morally repulsive he is.

The real question is what danger does the special relationship put us in given Trump's hamfisted approach to everything, including global affairs?

What if he strays into a shooting war?

He looks really old; the Presidential Senescence Acceleration effect has already kicked in. Hopefully, he'll be dead soon.
    President Pence. Yay. Not.
  • Options
    The_ApocalypseThe_Apocalypse Posts: 7,830
    edited January 2017
    Pagan said:

Also, re the previous thread: pleased to see the reaction to comments regarding Lee Rigby's murderers being Black. But I do find it odd that some PBers seem to see being in an interracial relationship as being some sort of litmus test for integration. There are plenty of immigrants, such as my grandparents on my mother's side (Jamacian immigrants) who have integrated while being married to people of the same race.

Being in an interracial marriage isnt a litmus test for integration. What people are saying quite rightly is that an integrated minority intermarries freely and the percentage of people from that minority intermarrying is a litmus test.

if minority a intermarries 0% , minority b intermarries 20% and minority c intermarries 30% then you have grounds for thing minority c has embraced a culture of freedom more than b and that minority a really isnt integrating at all

'The percentage of people from that minority intermarrying is a litmus test' really isn't all that difference (indeed it's pretty much the same) as 'being in interracial marriage is a litmus test for integration. As one PBer pointed out, observant Jews do not have significant rates of being in an interracial relationship (in the last two decades Jewish rates of interracial marriage have only increased by 2%). Have they not integrated?

On your last point: the trouble with that argument, is that there are clear gender differences in regard to minority involvement in interracial relationships. As I stated before, Afro-Carribean men are more involved in interrelationships than Afro-Carribean women. By your definition, Afro-Carribean men embrace values of freedom more than Afro-Carribean women. Indeed, by this definition Afro-Carribean men embrace values of freedom more so than Jewish people.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,793
    Scott_P said:
    Remind me, how many Syrian refugees has Nicola taken into her own home?
  • Options
    And before I go to sleep, I just wanted to post this tweet:

https://twitter.com/neferurenaji/status/825470905174413312?ref_src=twsrc^tfw
  • Options
    CiceroCicero Posts: 2,298
    isam said:

Scott_P said:

Is this the global leadership May was promising us the other day?

https://twitter.com/jonathon_shafi/status/825063189188591616
    Oh no... please no... not another unfunny, uninspired, repetitive copy and paste
    The Tories had better get used to the idea that May grovelled to Trump first " because Brexit made me do it". Being Elphaba does not change too much. The fact is that the Tories deserve a massive kicking and the are very like to get it in the Spring....
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,155

Scott_P said:
    Remind me, how many Syrian refugees has Nicola taken into her own home?
    wtf
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    edited January 2017

Scott_P said:
    May got off the plane just an hour or so ago.
    Christ, isn't she allowed a toilet break?
    She knew about it before she got on the plane. Her response then was stupid. "THe immigration policies of the United States is a matter of the US..."

Huh ? What if it affects basic human rights of Britons and others ?

Frankly, she is not up to the job.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,209
    surbiton said:

Scott_P said:
    May got off the plane just an hour or so ago.
    Christ, isn't she allowed a toilet break?
    She knew about it before she got on the plane. Her response then was stupid. "THe immigration policies of the United States is a matter of the US..."

Huh ? What if it affects basic human rights of Britons and others ?

Frankly, she is not up to the job.
    That statement was correct, it is up to them who they let in, not matter how irrational it is. If there are Brits caught in limbo then the FCO should act on their behalf to help them out. But being able to visit the USA is not a human right.
  • Options
    AlsoIndigoAlsoIndigo Posts: 1,852
    Skimmed through a few pages of this hysterical nonsense and decided life was too short, will pop back later and see if there are any green shoots of sanity ;)
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,009

isam said:

There wasn't actually. I was bashing the immigrants who mistreated the native Americans
This discussion has been closed.