Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » How Mr. Trump could be booted out quickly without impeachment

Comments

• Options

Asking for a friend who is writing a thread for PB.

Who was the UK's shortest serving PM, Neville Chamberlain?

Of the modern era surely Douglas-Home?
    Campbell-Bannerman in the 20thC?
  • Options
  • Options
    PlatoSaidPlatoSaid Posts: 10,383
    Cloyd Rivers
    2 of the flag burners stopped by the FedEx guy were arrested for violatin' Iowa City's burn ordinance. Play stupid games. Win stupid prizes. https://t.co/qP3FtlFpJi
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,154
    isam said:

We've already won!

Will you be celebrating Independence Day with us on June 23rd?

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/nigel-farage-calls-june-23-8271647

Farage dragged very few extra "don't know" votes over the Leave line. He undoubtedly put off many. He was not a politician capable of generating any momentum for Leave. His tin-eared appearance by THAT poster during the campaign amply demonstrates that.

The single politician who can take any credit going for winning the Referendum for Leave is Boris. With an honourable mention to David Cameron, for a) calling it and then b) making sure he pissed off lots of potential soft Remainers with his fantastically ill-judged "little Englanders" and Project Fear spiel.
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,422
    edited January 2017

C-B was PM for over 2 years. ADH, just the one. But no, the actual answer (post-1900) is Bonar Law, the forgotten prime minister as (I think), Lloyd George called him
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,182
    Short of Trump being impeached there is nothing Republicans in Congress can do about it if they don't like him, constitutionally he is POTUS for at least 4 years unless he decide a to resign. Given his victory in the 2016 primaries it is also unlikely he will fail to win the GOP nomination again in 2020 now he is POTUS
  • Options
    SeanT said:

SeanT said:

Patrick said:

rcs1000 said:

Russia exports oil, gas and coal. That's it. It's a commodity exporter with no real other industry except some weapons.

The EU (and it's principally the EU) sends it money for its oil and gas and coal, and Russia uses that money to buy everything else.

I have the feeling that your analysis of Britain in the 70s would have been equally downbeat and defeatist.

One factor I think you're overlooking is the growing importance of cities in the global economy. Moscow is one of the only cities in Europe that truly has the potential to rival London, as comical as that might seem to you now.
    Interesting. (Genuinely - not a put down). Rival London doing what?
    A bit of everything. Fintech and other technologies, creative industries, finance and professional services. There are obvious barriers but a huge amount of potential that could be unleashed in the right circumstances.

If you haven't been recently it continues to transform at a rate of knots.
    I agree with this. It's insane to write Russia off just because it produces little but oil and gas. You could make the same bogus allegation against Australia, an advanced and very successful economy

Russia is a great and ancient nation, with huge natural and cultural resources and lots of clever people. It is almost a civilisation unto itself. It has no stifling Islam-style religion to hold it back, nor communism any more.

It's time will come.

Only when investors have confidence in its judicial system, That is the key. Until then, the majority of business done in Russia will be speculative and high-risk.

Mankind's most appalling error.
    Worse than religion?
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    edited January 2017

Travel and internet will also tend to soften Russian nationalism, a return to the czarist experience of autocracy and kleptocracy at home and freedom abroad, a new Grand Tour for the new aristocracy.

This is also another factor in Russia's favour. The next generation of leaders are some of the most worldly and least parochial people you could wish to come across.

I would put it as a very low probability at the moment, but if Putin can 'fix' the relationship with the West and obtain in his terms a victory over NATO, it wouldn't surprise me if he chose to stand down.
    There is also a big divide between Moscow, St Petersburg and provincial Russia in terms of political and social development. Russia is a great country by reason of its history and geography, like us in being one of the bookends of Europe. Both Russia and ourselves are semi-detached from Continental Europe, and endlessly vacillating over whether we really belong.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,805

Wikipedia is your friend:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Prime_Ministers_of_the_United_Kingdom_by_longevity

Then click on the "Total time is office" column header.

The shortest serving PM was George Canning. In the past 100 years, Andrew Bonar Law and post-War, Alec Douglas-Home

The longest serving PM was Robert Walpole and, in recent times, Margaret Thatcher.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,853
    Best eyeball quote ever ?
    "Once I got in the ambulance they gave me a little pain medicine and some saline drops in my eye and I felt it slide back into place, which is also a really strange feeling...
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-38767179
  • Options

Margaret Thatcher: 5' 5½"?
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Best eyeball quote ever ?
    "Once I got in the ambulance they gave me a little pain medicine and some saline drops in my eye and I felt it slide back into place, which is also a really strange feeling...
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-38767179

Though there is, of course, 'out, vile jelly'.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,125
    SeanT said:

John_M said:

rcs1000 said:

isam said:

Jonathan said:

SeanT said:

You know, however doomy and turbulent the 21st century seems, and however many celebs died at a cruelly young age in 2016....

Sweet Fucking Jesus, thank the Lord this is not the 20th century. By this time in the 20th century millions of young men had already died in the trenches, and much much worse was to come.

Indeed. We need to listen to the voices of people who lived through it. The lessons they learned and taught us. That generation that created the world we now live in. The world we are dismantling without a care.

"We need to listen to the voices of people who lived through it. The lessons they learned and taught us"

Conservative, Unionist, Eurosceptics by and large. We have listened to them, Labour, the Lib Dems and the SNP want to ignore them
    This is not about Brexit.
    Yep. If the UK were advocating leaving NATO, I'd be out with my flaming torch and pitchfork and heading for Downing Street. Brexit is a whole different thing.
    TMay made quite clear in her speech yesterday that Brexit Britain will be globalist, internationalist, a strong ally to America and the EU, a firm member of NATO, and fiercely pro-free-trade. All that will change is that we will restore power to our own parliament, and govern ourselves.

As a liberal Leaver I was chuffed. Thats what I want.
    Easily taken in by snake oil salesperson
  • Options
    edited January 2017

BudG said:

French Election

According to a survey by Odoxa January 26, that is to say after the publication of the article of the satirical newspaper controversy, François Fillon has lost 16 points of popularity in public opinion since his resounding victory against Alain Juppé during The primary on the right.

38% of respondents now have a good opinion of him, compared with 42% in December and 54% in November. If the French judge the former prime minister courageous (54%), they do not find him honest (67%), neither close to their concerns (68%) nor convincing (61%).

Macron then?
    Macron has now been hit by his own scandal using government funds to pay for very expensive dinners and that was an approval poll, which did not really change much from December, not a voting change poll
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

Spencer Percival?
  • Options
    :smiley:

Christopher Lin
    A city councilman was sworn in holding his Captain America shield https://t.co/rJR3aNYJ4A #marvel #captainamerica #politics #usa
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981
    SeanT said:

I'm still looking at that bloody colourised Holocaust photo

Jesus.

It is so f***ing difficult to grasp (when it should be very easy) that WW 1 and 2 were not fought in a monochrome world. Hopefully photoshoppy algorithms for colorisation exist and will continue to improve.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,407
    SeanT said:

Jesus.

did I miss the link?
  • Options
    edited January 2017
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

I've re

BudG said:

French Election

According to a survey by Odoxa January 26, that is to say after the publication of the article of the satirical newspaper controversy, François Fillon has lost 16 points of popularity in public opinion since his resounding victory against Alain Juppé during The primary on the right.

38% of respondents now have a good opinion of him, compared with 42% in December and 54% in November. If the French judge the former prime minister courageous (54%), they do not find him honest (67%), neither close to their concerns (68%) nor convincing (61%).

Macron then?
    I'm rebacking Macron (For a small theoretical loss) whilst still keeping a healthy enough green on Fillon - he doesn't need THAT much % in the first round to be in the final two, and he probably wins if he gets through. Not to write Fillon off but Macron looks eminently possible now.
    With the hit in support that Fillon is taking, oughtn't Macron be favourite in a run-off between the two?
    There will be no run off between the two, every poll now has Le Pen leading round one
  • Options
    FF43 said:

FF43 said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Prime_Ministers_of_the_United_Kingdom_by_longevity

The shortest serving PM was George Canning. In the past 100 years, Andrew Bonar Law and post-War, Alec Douglas-Home

The longest serving PM was Robert Walpole and, in recent times, Margaret Thatcher.
    The second shortest serving PM is someone I have never heard of: Frederick Robinson. So obscure he doesn't even win the shortest serving PM award.
  • Options

C-B was PM for over 2 years. ADH, just the one. But no, the actual answer (post-1900) is Bonar Law, the forgotten prime minister as (I think), Lloyd George called him
    His autobiography is "the unknown prime minister"!
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,100
    PlatoSaid said:

Amazing vintage footage

History
    January 27th, 1967, Apollo 1 tragedy. https://t.co/bKmMI7UYyZ

A true tragedy. More info:

https://arstechnica.co.uk/science/2017/01/apollo-1-fire-investigation/
  • Options
    SeanT said:

SeanT said:

Jesus.

If I get the time today, I'll be watching Denial at the cinema, I suspect my brain will be constantly reminding me of that photo whilst I watch that film.
    I can't work out why the photo mesmerises me, yet upsets me so much. Is it because I have daughters near her age? Yes, but there's more to it.

Something in her fragile face, the inexpressible sense of impending suffering, the knowledge of what is about to happen to her, the simple fact this pretty girl on the cusp of womanhood is in Auschwitz, for no reason other than being alive, so the Nazis took her to have her killed.

It's probably the single most distressing image from the Holocaust, that I have ever seen. And it's just a face.

It is essential to put an individual face on the mass slaughter. The numbers are too incredible to comprehend.
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

Christopher Lin
    A city councilman was sworn in holding his Captain America shield https://t.co/rJR3aNYJ4A #marvel #captainamerica #politics #usa

TSE is going to be SO jealous....
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,407
    SeanT said:

TOPPING said:

SeanT said:

Jesus.

did I miss the link?
    https://twitter.com/DanielJHannan/status/824883577791713285

A few minutes before this photo she was beaten around the face, so she knew what to do. Hence the cuts and bruises. She was gassed or killed with an injection, a month later
    Thank you.
  • Options

PlatoSaid said:

Christopher Lin

TSE is going to be SO jealous....
    I love my Captain America shield, still prefer my Mjölnir though.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,793
    FPT Good to see some previous critics coming round to Mrs May - of course we've still got the Trump press conference to go - and she's on a jolly sticky wicket, but I for one have been sleeping more soundly since she took office.

On her deliberative style, as she is reported to have remarked "I don't mind if people think I'm thick....for a while"
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Jesus.

For all that we say 'we will remember', the reality is that we don't really want to. We remember the event, the organisation, the clinical cruelty, the artefacts of bureaucracy, the Arbeit Macht Frei sign and the chimneys but remember the six million dead? Sure - that's a statistic. Six million lives of real people who lived, loved, feared, hoped, sang, worked and so on? No, just too horrible.

Genocide is nearly always unpopular after the event; preventing it beforehand - when it had genuine support, as such things must by definition have, even if out of only falsely-grounded mass hysteria - another matter. Remembering means nothing if not applied to the future, and future applications will be, as they always are, against marginalised and unpopular groups which are strong enough to constitute a perceived threat, weak enough to be taken on, and 'other' enough to be identifiably alien. Siding with such groups, which are rarely targeted without some reason that can be sold in a poster slogan or a two-second soundbite, takes bravery.
  • Options

FPT Good to see some previous critics coming round to Mrs May - of course we've still got the Trump press conference to go - and she's on a jolly sticky wicket, but I for one have been sleeping more soundly since she took office.

On her deliberative style, as she is reported to have remarked "I don't mind if people think I'm thick....for a while"

Give it a day or two and we will have confirmation that all the bending over and genuflection was in vain.
  • Options
    JohnOJohnO Posts: 4,215
    Charles said:

No, that's the title of Robert Blake's biography of him. I don't believe Law wrote an autobiography; he was dying of cancer which was why he resigned as PM.
  • Options
    Trump is not just 70 1/2, the age at which one becomes all too aware of one’s mortality (I am 72). He is border-line obese, based on his claimed height and weight: 6-foot-3 and 236 pounds http://www.ibtimes.com/donald-trump-obese-republican-candidate-overweight-according-his-body-mass-index-2416617 - hence the generously cut jackets which he never takes off so that we never see his figure. And he has never, despite promises repeatedly broken, published his full medical history.

So it’s quite possible that his physical health is not as good as it appears to be. In any event, he is at higher risk of diabetes, etc., etc. so he is very unlikely to be fit to serve 8 years.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,002

Trump is not just 70 1/2, the age at which one becomes all too aware of one’s mortality (I am 72). He is border-line obese, based on his claimed height and weight: 6-foot-3 and 236 pounds http://www.ibtimes.com/donald-trump-obese-republican-candidate-overweight-according-his-body-mass-index-2416617 - hence the generously cut jackets which he never takes off so that we never see his figure. And he has never, despite promises repeatedly broken, published his full medical history.

So it’s quite possible that his physical health is not as good as it appears to be. In any event, he is at higher risk of diabetes, etc., etc. so he is very unlikely to be fit to serve 8 years.

There is no way on God's green earth he is only 236 lbs.
  • Options
    LennonLennon Posts: 1,736
    SeanT said:

Ishmael_Z said:

SeanT said:

Jesus.

It is so f***ing difficult to grasp (when it should be very easy) that WW 1 and 2 were not fought in a monochrome world. Hopefully photoshoppy algorithms for colorisation exist and will continue to improve.
    It's surprising how emotionally powerful photographic colourisation is. Black and white photography dehumanises, I now realise. It puts a distance between us and the subjects in the photo - it makes them history, people of the past, not quite like us. But put some colour in them, and suddenly they are there, in front of you, here and now...
    Indeed. One of reasons that Schindler's List was such a powerful film (in my mind) was the girl in the red coat which re-humanises the whole film and makes that point pretty vividly.
  • Options
    Charles said:

Biography, I suspect? He died the same year he left office.

(Just checked and it was 'unknown' rather than 'forgotten' PM in the quote, and it was Asquith, not LG).
  • Options
    SeanT said:

SeanT said:

Jesus.

If I get the time today, I'll be watching Denial at the cinema, I suspect my brain will be constantly reminding me of that photo whilst I watch that film.
    I can't work out why the photo mesmerises me, yet upsets me so much. Is it because I have daughters near her age? Yes, but there's more to it.

Something in her fragile face, the inexpressible sense of impending suffering, the knowledge of what is about to happen to her, the simple fact this pretty girl on the cusp of womanhood is in Auschwitz, for no reason other than being alive, so the Nazis took her to have her killed.

It's probably the single most distressing image from the Holocaust, that I have ever seen. And it's just a face.

I think the reason it haunts is that's there another six million photos to come.

Indeed there's probably more than six million photos when you factor in all the other eradicated by the Nazis.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,014
    Mr. Squire1, welcome to the site.

Some people think about death (including their own) very often. Others hardly ever contemplate it.
  • Options

Charles said:

(Just checked and it was 'unknown' rather than 'forgotten' PM in the quote, and it was Asquith, not LG).
    At least you got PM right!
  • Options
    FF43 said:

FF43 said:

The second shortest serving PM is someone I have never heard of: Frederick Robinson. So obscure he doesn't even win the shortest serving PM award.
    Better known (a relative term, admittedly) as Viscount Goderich.
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,728
    HYUFD said:

Pulpstar said:

I've re

BudG said:

French Election

Macron then?
    I'm rebacking Macron (For a small theoretical loss) whilst still keeping a healthy enough green on Fillon - he doesn't need THAT much % in the first round to be in the final two, and he probably wins if he gets through. Not to write Fillon off but Macron looks eminently possible now.
    With the hit in support that Fillon is taking, oughtn't Macron be favourite in a run-off between the two?
    There will be no run off between the two, every poll now has Le Pen leading round one
    Yes, but don't Fillon and LePen have around 25% each with Macron at 20% - which leaves 30% to play for or be squeezed.
  • Options
    General Election
    11% of those who voted for Bernie Sanders in democratic primaries & caucuses voted Trump #uspresident

From @LordAshcroft American polling
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,149
    malcolmg said:

Give it a day or two and we will have confirmation that all the bending over and genuflection was in vain.
    A reminder of how little impact these Washington love-ins usually have:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1159344/Americas-salute-Gordon-Brown-new-deal.html
  • Options
    AndyJS said:
    ..and therefore, to date, much more popular than Obama - one of the least popular presidents ever according to Gallup:
    http://www.investors.com/politics/commentary/news-flash-obama-was-an-historically-unpopular-president/

• Options
    Charles said:

Charles said:

At least you got PM right!
    Small mercies!
  • Options
    Patrick said:

AndyJS said:
    ..and therefore, to date, much more popular than Obama - one of the least popular presidents ever according to Gallup:
    http://www.investors.com/politics/commentary/news-flash-obama-was-an-historically-unpopular-president/

Except

Barack Obama leaves office Friday with 6 in 10 Americans approving of his job performance, capping a steady rise that vaults him above the average final mark for modern presidents, a new Washington Post-ABC News poll finds.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-fix/wp/2017/01/18/obama-climbs-to-60-percent-approval-in-final-presidential-approval-rating-post-abc-poll-finds/?utm_term=.aebb143235a0
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,002
    edited January 2017
    Trump is tremendously unpopular amongst the media, and people who most likely have above average social influence in the USA. He is also unpopular internationally (Except in Russia).
    That should not be confused with actual national unpopularity. Indeed he seems quite popular at the moment according to the polling...
  • Options
    rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,922
    On topic... If you think there is a good chance of Trump getting boots after midterms... Then etc on 2019 as it will take a few months for impeachment procedures to get going.

Personally I think Trump is pretty safe. Can't see republicans standing up to him.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Has Nicola been grovelling to obscure Eurocrats again?
  • Options
    F1: Manor F1 team has collapsed. Administrators failed to find a buyer.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,997
    WRT mass killing, in terms of percentages of the world's population, I should think Genghis Khan holds the record. And, it was all done by hand.
  • Options
    Patrick said:

AndyJS said:

Obama was on over 60% approval after his inauguration
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Pulpstar said:

I've re

BudG said:

French Election

Macron then?
    Yes, but don't Fillon and LePen have around 25% each with Macron at 20% - which leaves 30% to play for or be squeezed.
    Macron is a Blairite, hard left supporters of Hamon and Melenchon are not going to switch to Macron in round 1
  • Options

F1: Manor F1 team has collapsed. Administrators failed to find a buyer.

Very sad. Let's hope some of the other teams manage to take on some of their staff.

And then there were ten.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Patrick said:

AndyJS said:

He ended on an up too.
    Click into the ABC poll TSE shared and look at the cross of death on the economy. As much as anything this is why Clinton lost.
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,728
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Pulpstar said:

I've re

BudG said:

French Election

Macron then?
    Macron is a Blairite, hard left supporters of Hamon and Melenchon are not going to switch to Macron in round 1
    Blair did get chosen by the party that contained Corbyn and McDonnell, but you may well be right. The French system would be much improved by using AV ;-)
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Doesn't he wear a kevlar vest under his shirt most of the time?
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Pulpstar said:

I've re

BudG said:

French Election

Macron then?
    Blair did get chosen by the party that contained Corbyn and McDonnell, but you may well be right. The French system would be much improved by using AV ;-)
    They'll switch to him in round 2 v Le Pen, no shadow of a doubt about that.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Either that, or not 6 foot 3. I would have guessed about 4-5 inches shorter than that - he always seems a squat figure.
  • Options
    scotslassscotslass Posts: 912
    Britain Elects ‏@britainelects 23m23 minutes ago

Easy SNP hold on East Ayrshire authority last night:
    http://britainelects.com/archives/council-by-elections/
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

WRT mass killing, in terms of percentages of the world's population, I should think Genghis Khan holds the record. And, it was all done by hand.

On a slightly brighter note, as has been discussed on here before: who has saved the most lives? Fleming and penicillin?

My personal bet is on John Snow. How many people have been saved around the world by the discovery that diseases such as cholera are water-borne, and that clean water supplies are vital?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Snow
  • Options
    Patrick said:

HYUFD said:

Patrick said:

AndyJS said:

He ended on an up too.
    Click into the ABC poll TSE shared and look at the cross of death on the economy. As much as anything this is why Clinton lost.
    How the economy is performing in 2018 as well as whether there is a replacement for Obamacare will be key to the midterms
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    Patrick said:

SeanT said:

John_M said:

rcs1000 said:

isam said:

Jonathan said:

SeanT said:

You know, however doomy and turbulent the 21st century seems, and however many celebs died at a cruelly young age in 2016....

Sweet Fucking Jesus, thank the Lord this is not the 20th century. By this time in the 20th century millions of young men had already died in the trenches, and much much worse was to come.

Indeed. We need to listen to the voices of people who lived through it. The lessons they learned and taught us. That generation that created the world we now live in. The world we are dismantling without a care.

"We need to listen to the voices of people who lived through it. The lessons they learned and taught us"

Conservative, Unionist, Eurosceptics by and large. We have listened to them, Labour, the Lib Dems and the SNP want to ignore them
    Yep. If the UK were advocating leaving NATO, I'd be out with my flaming torch and pitchfork and heading for Downing Street. Brexit is a whole different thing.
    TMay made quite clear in her speech yesterday that Brexit Britain will be globalist, internationalist, a strong ally to America and the EU, a firm member of NATO, and fiercely pro-free-trade. All that will change is that we will restore power to our own parliament, and govern ourselves.

As a liberal Leaver I was chuffed. Thats what I want.
    The prime minister, and perhaps most Republicans, might be globalist, internationalist and pro-free-trade but the president is none of these things.
    Is it not the case that Trump is selectively pro free trade? Pro with countries he respects and who he does not feel are dumping at non-market prices (such as UK) - but anti with those that are (eg China)?
    Trump has always been against free trade, which he seems to regard as an anti-American conspiracy, and has done for decades. Mexico, for instance, is not dumping or manipulating its currency yet Trump is talking about imposing tariffs. He has torn up the pro-American TTP, and is critical of NAFTA.

Oh, and Britain? No -- Britain has VAT which Trump regards as an anti-American tariff.
  • Options

Sean_F said:

On a slightly brighter note, as has been discussed on here before: who has saved the most lives? Fleming and penicillin?

My personal bet is on John Snow. How many people have been saved around the world by the discovery that diseases such as cholera are water-borne, and that clean water supplies are vital?

Dr Jenner surely:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edward_Jenner
  • Options
    This one is hard to read because there really never has been a president like Donald Trump before, in particular one that has so little respect for institutions, including his own. Presidents are hard to get rid of but could the institutions fight back this time?

His supporters voted for him to kick ass, which he is doing prodigiously. But will the smarting buttocks have an outcome they approve of, or even care about?
  • Options
    AlsoIndigoAlsoIndigo Posts: 1,852
    Sean_F said:

You dont get craftsmanship like that these days ;)
  • Options
    edited January 2017

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Pulpstar said:

I've re

BudG said:

French Election

Macron then?
    I think the centrist voters who back Macron to avoid a Fillon v Le Pen run off have already switched to him, Hamon and Melenchon voters are leftwing ideologues and yes it is two ballot not AV
  • Options

SeanT said:

Jesus.

For all that we say 'we will remember', the reality is that we don't really want to. We remember the event, the organisation, the clinical cruelty, the artefacts of bureaucracy, the Arbeit Macht Frei sign and the chimneys but remember the six million dead? Sure - that's a statistic. Six million lives of real people who lived, loved, feared, hoped, sang, worked and so on? No, just too horrible.

Genocide is nearly always unpopular after the event; preventing it beforehand - when it had genuine support, as such things must by definition have, even if out of only falsely-grounded mass hysteria - another matter. Remembering means nothing if not applied to the future, and future applications will be, as they always are, against marginalised and unpopular groups which are strong enough to constitute a perceived threat, weak enough to be taken on, and 'other' enough to be identifiably alien. Siding with such groups, which are rarely targeted without some reason that can be sold in a poster slogan or a two-second soundbite, takes bravery.
    I think it's slightly unfair to imply (unless I've misunderstood you) that genocide had popular support in pre war Germany; oppression, confiscation of property, deportation, forced migration, 'resettlement' yes, the driving of children into execution pits and gas chambers no. The evil genius of the Nazis was to persuade the German population of the value of all those steps towards the Holocaust while successfully concealing the final destination, or helping the populace to conceal it from themselves. Afaics a very large number of Germans were able to persuade themselves both during and after the war that they had no conscious knowledge of what was happening 'in the east'.
  • Options
    scotslass said:

Significant Labour > Tory swing (but yes easy as she goes for the SNP) - actually a bit of theme; Tory gains have been by unifying the unionist/non-SNP vote in many cases.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Pulpstar said:

I've re

BudG said:

French Election

Macron then?
    He has to get to round 2 first and he is a strong third but still not there yet
  • Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503
    PlatoSaid said:

Amazing vintage footage

History

Ars had a macabre but interesting article on it a few days ago:

Health warning. Do not listen to the archived sound from the cockpit, or rather, don't come crying to me if you do.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Pulpstar said:

I've re

BudG said:

French Election

Macron then?
    He has to get to round 2 first and he is a strong third but still not there yet
    Indeed.
  • Options

Sean_F said:

Dr Jenner surely:

A good bet. However I do wonder if Snow's linking of clean water and disease - even if he did not understand the mechanism - has saved more. Could we have as large a cities as modern metropolises without it?
  • Options

Sean_F said:

Dr Jenner surely:

A good bet. However I do wonder if Snow's linking of clean water and disease - even if he did not understand the mechanism - has saved more. Could we have as large a cities as modern metropolises without it?
    All depends on the causative analysis. Individual's negative effects tend to be easier to quantify.
  • Options
    scotslass said:

Only 2% up on 2012 though, on same national swing SNP would be on just 34% in May
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    Sean_F said:

The Khmer Rouge were one of the worst examples, I think they killed about a third of the Cambodian population between 1975 and 1979.
  • Options
    GeoffMGeoffM Posts: 6,071
    scotslass said:

You step in the stream,
    But the water has moved on.
    That was yesterday
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,154

Oh, and Britain? No -- Britain has VAT which Trump regards as an anti-American tariff.

There's room for a Trump-is-not-in-fact-an-ignorant-cretin good-government-by-stealth conspiracy theory here, which is that he wants to bring in an American VAT, and he's going sell it as a great patriotic America-first border tax to get Republicans to vote for it.
  • Options
    Mr. Jessop, it's ridiculous half the grid will get points.

I still remember when it was top 6 only. And there were more cars then, I think.
  • Options
    John_M said:

PlatoSaid said:

Amazing vintage footage

History

Ars had a macabre but interesting article on it a few days ago:

Health warning. Do not listen to the archived sound from the cockpit, or rather, don't come crying to me if you do.
    I don't know if its still floating about - but about ten yrs ago, someone leaked the full FBI surveillance audio of Jonestown. Boy, that was awful at the end.
  • Options

Sean_F said:

Dr Jenner surely:

Norman Borlaug, perhaps:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norman_Borlaug
  • Options
    Do we know the timings of the Trump/May meeting, and if there will be a joint press conference?
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,302
    edited January 2017
    HYUFD said:

scotslass said:

Only 2% up on 2012 though, on same national swing SNP would be on just 34% in May
    -4 for the Union, +2 for Indy.
    Steady as she goes.
  • Options
    edited January 2017

Do we know the timings of the Trump/May meeting, and if there will be a joint press conference?

Meeting mid day, press conference 13.00, working lunch 40 minutes later.

Edit. That's going to be a long 40 minutes....
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300

Sean_F said:

Dr Jenner surely:

Norman Borlaug? The American botanist who revolutionised agriculture.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norman_Borlaug
  • Options

HYUFD said:

scotslass said:

Steady as she goes.
    SNP got 55% in Kilmarnock at the 2015 general election so actually 7% down on that
  • Options
    The girl was not one of the six million Jews killed in the Genocide. She was a Polish Catholic.

http://www.marinamaral.com/blog-2/2016/9/19/in-memory-of-czesawa-kwoka

As well as the Jews, the Nazis murdered millions of others, and the memorial wall at Auschwitz has many other pictures, mostly of Poles.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,079
    But his doctor said, or at least Trump said he said, that he is extremly healthy. So don’t speculate about it.
  • Options

6.00 pm according to Sky
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

scotslass said:

Steady as she goes.
    SNP got 55% in Kilmarnock at the 2015 general election so actually 7% down on that
    You see this long, curved, yellow thing? It's an apple.
  • Options

US time = + 5 hours
  • Options
    I went under the name fr when I first posted on pbc. I was reading a biography of Goderich at the time and fred robinson seemed as good a name as any other.
  • Options
    DromedaryDromedary Posts: 1,194
    edited January 2017
    So it's bye-bye Fillon. Big smiles in the Kremlin and the White House!

What I don't get is why people set so much stock by poll results on how people would vote in the run-off round given a choice between two specified candidates, e.g. 54% Macron to 46% Fillon in a recent poll. Most of both the 54% and the 46% have no particular loyalty either to the candidate or to his organisation - in Fillon's case a political party, in Macron's an electoral vehicle named to have the same initials as his and an outstandingly stupid logo. Most people would be voting in the second round for a candidate who was their second, third, fourth or even less preferred choice in the first round. Not that I'm saying Fillon would beat him. Opinions on that are anyway of little import given that the second round, if one is held, is unlikely to be between those two contenders. But if someone wants to insist on going by those poll results, qualitative considerations suggest that they should assume an enormous margin of error, at least +/- 10% of the total.

• Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503

If I had a sofa, I would be watching the joint presser from behind it. As it is, I think I'm going to have to watch it with subtitles only. I'm already cringing in anticipation.
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    Dromedary said:

So it's bye-bye Fillon. Big smiles in the Kremlin and the White House!

What I don't get is why people set so much stock by poll results on how people would vote in the run-off round given a choice between two specified candidates, e.g. 54% Macron to 46% Fillon in a recent poll. Most of both the 54% and the 46% have no particular loyalty either to the candidate or to his organisation - in Fillon's case a political party, in Macron's an electoral vehicle named to have the same initials as his and an outstandingly stupid logo. Not that I'm saying Fillon would beat him. Opinions on that are anyway of little import given that the second round, if one is held, is unlikely to be between those two contenders. But if someone wants to insist on going by those poll results, qualitative considerations suggest that they should assume an enormous margin of error, at least +/- 10% of the total.

No it isn't no new voting intention polls and so he remains runner up in round 1 and headed for run off with Le Pen
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    John_M said:

If I had a sofa, I would be watching the joint presser from behind it. As it is, I think I'm going to have to watch it with subtitles only. I'm already cringing in anticipation.

https://twitter.com/generalboles/status/824969964058791937
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,079
    AndyJS said:

Sean_F said:

The Khmer Rouge were one of the worst examples, I think they killed about a third of the Cambodian population between 1975 and 1979.
    And the population loss wasn’t helped by American carpet bombing. Went to Ankor Wat a few years ago. Almost no-one over 50, thanks to the Khmer Rouge, and many of the children had limbs missing as a result of stepping on a (probably American) mine.
    We went from Thailand by road, and at one point, while we waited for one bald, punctured, tyre to be removed and another bald tyre put on, I started to go off the roadand behind some bushes for quick wee. The guide/taxi driver’s mate stopped me. 'We don’t know if down there has been cleared' he said. ‘You don’t want to tread on a mine!’

Ankor Wat, though was amazing!
  • Options

malcolmg said:

Has Nicola been grovelling to obscure Eurocrats again?
    I see you have no reply, hope her skint knees are worth it
This discussion has been closed.