Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Viewpoint: Tribal Tim Farron attacks Corbyn and lets TMay off

124»

Comments

• Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,935
    Senate and Congress will stop any sort of order Trump puts in to stay president for a third term, which he won't put in.
  • Options
    rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,908
    Pulpstar said:

rkrkrk said:

SeanT said:

Pong said:

SeanT said:

Pong said:

Can anyone remember anything like Trump happening in the past - I can't

Most of the people who remember anything like Trump happening in their lifetime have now died. Those who are educated and understand history are not culturally connected with the minority who elected him.
    It's sneering wankpiffle like this that got Trump elected.
    Donald Trump is an actual fascist, Sean.
    Nah. I've studied Fascism. Trump is a narcissist, nativist demagogue, he's Berlusconi with loads of nukes and some *interesting* ideas on economics and immigration.

He's not, for instance, about to abolish democracy and pass an Enabling Act, which is a pretty fundamental aspect of Fascism.

No actual proper Fascist has willingly ceded power in a democratic election, which I happily predict Donald will do, in 2020 or 2024.
    Why so confident he will cede power?
    Surely it's a given that if he loses re election he will say the election is rigged.
    So why wouldn't he try to stay in power?
    He'll be 78 in 2024, will want to retire I expect.
    This is true... Ivanka 2024?
  • Options
    rkrkrk said:

Pulpstar said:

rkrkrk said:

SeanT said:

Pong said:

SeanT said:

Pong said:

Most of the people who remember anything like Trump happening in their lifetime have now died. Those who are educated and understand history are not culturally connected with the minority who elected him.
    Nah. I've studied Fascism. Trump is a narcissist, nativist demagogue, he's Berlusconi with loads of nukes and some *interesting* ideas on economics and immigration.

He's not, for instance, about to abolish democracy and pass an Enabling Act, which is a pretty fundamental aspect of Fascism.

No actual proper Fascist has willingly ceded power in a democratic election, which I happily predict Donald will do, in 2020 or 2024.
    Surely it's a given that if he loses re election he will say the election is rigged.
    Doubt it, all historical trends highly highly highly favour a Democrat being in power 2024 - 28, regardless of whether Trump lasts 1 or 2 terms.
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 1,614
    tyson said:

tyson said:

This Trident nonsense is not going to help labour in Copeland as it lays bare their aggressive anti Trident attitude

It's funny all the same...Theresa was made to look like a complete jackass, out of her depth, and without any media skills.....

She shows all the political dexterity of a lumbering piece of clay

Looking forward to this week's photo shoot with Donald and Melania
    She was wrong footed but more confident on the news tonight. Sky reckon Fallon did enough in the HOC. He is very cool and assured.

Anyway tomorrow will be dominated by the Supreme Court
    It would be nice to possess such kind of certainty in political leaders. May's interview, and public speaking skills are the poorest of any PM I can think of in my lifetime. She just looks uncomfortable and her voice croaks.
    I agree with this. She is at times even worse than Brown was, and we all know what a weapons grade tool he was. She has always seemed oddly nervous to me, and she has that horrible tic, similar to Brown's jaw thing. Being regularly embarrassed at PMQs by possibly the very worst political leader in British democratic history must worry her team greatly, and as I have said before, imagine a young Tony Blair at the despatch box instead of a 70 year old far left extremist. The Tories are extremely fortunate on that front.

May could turn out to be a lucky PM rather than an able one.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,952
    Jason said:

tyson said:

tyson said:

This Trident nonsense is not going to help labour in Copeland as it lays bare their aggressive anti Trident attitude

It's funny all the same...Theresa was made to look like a complete jackass, out of her depth, and without any media skills.....

She was wrong footed but more confident on the news tonight. Sky reckon Fallon did enough in the HOC. He is very cool and assured.

It would be nice to possess such kind of certainty in political leaders. May's interview, and public speaking skills are the poorest of any PM I can think of in my lifetime. She just looks uncomfortable and her voice croaks.
    I agree with this. She is at times even worse than Brown was, and we all know what a weapons grade tool he was. She has always seemed oddly nervous to me, and she has that horrible tic, similar to Brown's jaw thing. Being regularly embarrassed at PMQs by possibly the very worst political leader in British democratic history must worry her team greatly, and as I have said before, imagine a young Tony Blair at the despatch box instead of a 70 year old far left extremist. The Tories are extremely fortunate on that front.

Yes what we need is a PM w Hollywood looks who is great at PR sound bites
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    Once again with the cheap labour argument I am reminded of 'The Ones who walk away from Omelas"

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2015/01/13/opinion/david-brooks-the-child-in-the-basement.html

• Options
    rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,908
    SeanT said:

rkrkrk said:

SeanT said:

Pong said:

SeanT said:

Pong said:

I know Trump is eccentric, but I don't believe he is actually Fascist - and crazy (if he tried this ignoring-elections shit he would of course be arrested within minutes, I believe the US Constitution is robust enough for that)

If and when he loses (he might not stand again, if he sees how dispiriting government is - quite possible), I reckon he'd go down shouting about betrayal and believing he was robbed, but he would nonetheless go.

If you really want to see Fascism in action today, look at ISIS, or other forms of very orthodox, or radical Islam. That is pure Fascism, it ticks every box in Paxton's famous definition.
    Let's hope you're right.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,092
    Pulpstar said:

rkrkrk said:

Pulpstar said:

rkrkrk said:

SeanT said:

Pong said:

SeanT said:

Pong said:

Doubt it, all historical trends highly highly highly favour a Democrat being in power 2024 - 28, regardless of whether Trump lasts 1 or 2 terms.
    Maybe she'll run as a Democrat.
  • Options
    MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034
    rkrkrk said:

SeanT said:

Pong said:

SeanT said:

Pong said:

Your lack of faith in the American people, institutions and military is shocking.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

rkrkrk said:

Pulpstar said:

rkrkrk said:

SeanT said:

Pong said:

SeanT said:

Pong said:

Maybe she'll run as a Democrat.
    Kennedy comeback for my long range prediction... :>
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    rkrkrk said:

John_M said:

rkrkrk said:

SeanT said:

Pong said:

SeanT said:

Pong said:

You need the military & security services onside to be a dictator.
    He might get them... He certainly had plenty of FBI support this time around.
    Starting with Comey.
  • Options
    mattmatt Posts: 3,789
    rpjs said:

matt said:

rcs1000 said:

Putin does protectionism;

https://www.rt.com/business/374797-putin-russia-made-aircraft/

Though the idea that Boeing doesn't sell in Europe, or Airbus in the USA is touching.....

It's amazing how little 'home' advantage Boeing and Airbus have. The big US carriers run thousands of A320s, and the Europeans have equally many 777s and 737s.
    Airlines are relentlessly commercial organisations. BOAC and BEA were pushing back 50 years ago in government demands to buy British. The ones that aren't are Sabena or Alitalia. Even Aeroflot buys Russian only under duress.
    Isn't most of Aeroflot's metal registered in F or EI so that they can assure their international pax they're subject to an effective safety regulatory regime?
    Bermuda.
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,946
    @BigGNorthWales - Amazing how much more time I have as a manager of staff. Try to keep some capacity in case of absence. When all is tickety boo I can spend a few minutes an hour here...
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 1,614
    isam said:

Jason said:

tyson said:

tyson said:

Well, Brown was very much the opposite of what you suggest and he was one of the worst PMs we've ever had. Maybe we need a compromise, someone who is telegenic, but a bit crap at communciation skills? Or a modern day version of Cicero who looks like kicked clay?
  • Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693
    edited January 2017
    MTimT said:

rkrkrk said:

SeanT said:

Pong said:

SeanT said:

Pong said:

Your lack of faith in the American people, institutions and military is shocking.
    I hope you're right, but a state of emergency on national security grounds is easily engineered.

All trump needs to do is to create a crisis.
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549

Copeland is about nuclear power
  • Options
    Jason said:

isam said:

Jason said:

tyson said:

tyson said:

Well, Brown was very much the opposite of what you suggest and he was one of the worst PMs we've ever had. Maybe we need a compromise, someone who is telegenic, but a bit crap at communciation skills? Or a modern day version of Cicero who looks like kicked clay?
    Maybe someone who is just good at the job?
  • Options
    surbiton said:

Copeland is about nuclear power
    And next door to Barrow - I am surprised that you didnt connect the closeness of the yard building the subs
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,014
    isam said:

Jason said:

isam said:

Jason said:

tyson said:

tyson said:

Maybe someone who is just good at the job?
    Not someone who thought he'd be rather good at it!
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    This Trident misfire thing has been handled spectacularly badly.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Indeed. The media have blown it out of all proportion.
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

Jonathan said:

It's not the media who handled it badly. They're doing their job well.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Mortimer said:

Jonathan said:

It's not the media who handled it badly. They're doing their job well.
    Nah. They're making a meal of a failed TEST.

The whole point of a test is that it exposes possible issues. The results are of course classified. I fully expect that this will not have played out in the common ground of Britain as you think it has done.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

Pulpstar said:

SeanT said:

PlatoSaid said:

I've just started rewatching Big Bang Theory from the start on Netflix.

I instantly thought of Raj and Penny :smiley:

As the bona fide Tory Boy at university, I was the performing monkey at house parties. Even when introduced by friends to gorgeous left-liberal girls as such, I did often get on rather well with them but missed several opportunities from sheer naivety.

Not a mistake SeanT would have made.
    Nope, I'm afraid I was totally useless at noticing women coming on to me, at Uni.

I recall one incident in the Union bar, as it was closing for the evening, when a girl put a hand on my knee and said, "Can I come and stay at your place tonight?"

She was really hot.

I looked at her, perplexed, and said "Isn't there a night bus to your part of town"? At which point she rolled her eyes (as did all my mates) and left me to me Fosters, with a justified and contemptuous sneer.

It wasn't until my late 20s that I finally clued up. It wasn't until my 30s that I realised women like men to be ruthless, assertive, dominant (within reason). I fear there is some truth in Trump's remark, once you reach a certain level of success or confidence, you can just "grab them by the pussy" and they will yield.

I emphasise I don't do this. But I have no doubt it works.
    I have a suspicion that those that protest the most are also probably the most susceptible to err "charms".

Projection and all that good psychological stuff.
    Another way of saying Patriarchy is
    If I was still young free and single..
    You don't have to be young. I'm fifty bloody three. Helps if you're rich.
    You don't even have to be that rich. As long as you're solvent with a few bob to spare, not thick as a plank and keep yourself in reasonably good condition, it's not terribly hard to pick up a reasonable date.

You have to actually want to do it, though. Personally, I'm not particularly interested in having a series of quick shags, but I'd quite like to find another long-term partner. Typical beta male, I guess, but that's what makes me happy. Suitable candidates are pretty thin on the ground, though.
    I am with you on that. Do I wish that I had had more one night stands? No. Do I wish that I had had more intimate moments with people whom I loved and loved me back? Yes.

I too am a Beta male, or as my mother would put it "a lover, not a fighter"
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

Jonathan said:

Just plain silly and has no traction. Events this week will finish it as a story.

Just listening to Sean Spicer, White House Press Secretary, live and he confirmed end of all multi trade deals re-affirming the US will only do bi-lateral with individual nations starting with their closes allies.

Confirmed initial discussion on trade with UK will take place with TM on Friday
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024
    Pong said:

MTimT said:

rkrkrk said:

SeanT said:

Pong said:

SeanT said:

Pong said:

I hope you're right, but a state of emergency on national security grounds is easily engineered.

What enabiling act did Bush pass after 9/11? Genuine question.
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    rkrkrk said:

SeanT said:

rkrkrk said:

SeanT said:

Pong said:

SeanT said:

Pong said:

I know Trump is eccentric, but I don't believe he is actually Fascist - and crazy (if he tried this ignoring-elections shit he would of course be arrested within minutes, I believe the US Constitution is robust enough for that)

If and when he loses (he might not stand again, if he sees how dispiriting government is - quite possible), I reckon he'd go down shouting about betrayal and believing he was robbed, but he would nonetheless go.

If you really want to see Fascism in action today, look at ISIS, or other forms of very orthodox, or radical Islam. That is pure Fascism, it ticks every box in Paxton's famous definition.
    Let's hope you're right.
    What rkrkrk? That you know that ISIS and other manic forms of Islam is fascist, and you couldn't care a damn. Or that Donald trump will go peacefully when his term is up, and you even rage at that?
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Its gone off half cocked, though may turn out to be a damp squib.
  • Options

Mortimer said:

Jonathan said:

Just plain silly and has no traction. Events this week will finish it as a story.

Just listening to Sean Spicer, White House Press Secretary, live and he confirmed end of all multi trade deals re-affirming the US will only do bi-lateral with individual nations starting with their closes allies.

Interesting that Spicer said that a trade deal will be beneficial where national security interests are important to US.
  • Options
    nunu said:

Pong said:

MTimT said:

rkrkrk said:

SeanT said:

Pong said:

SeanT said:

Pong said:

What enabiling act did Bush pass after 9/11? Genuine question.
    The Patriot Act did bypass quite a few checks on the Presidency.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patriot_Act
  • Options

Jonathan said:

It takes MAD to the next level. A nuclear weapon with a random target. Britain will fire in retaliation, but we have no clue where it will go. We're that crazy, no-one will mess with us.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,482
    tyson said:

tyson said:

At least she doesn't do that flubbery mouth thing like a landed trout after every sentence a la Brown.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

It takes MAD to the next level. A nuclear weapon with a random target. Britain will fire in retaliation, but we have no clue where it will go. We're that crazy, no-one will mess with us.
    You do know the missile is manufactured by the US but with our own warhead. The missile apparently detected a fault and self destructed and even armed the weapon would not have gone off as there is a separate command to the missile to detonate the warhead.

The US will have investigated and resolved the missile issue and with Fallon confirming the deterrent is absolutely safe and operational is all that we can expect to know - it is classified and top secret
  • Options
    weejonnie said:

tlg86 said:

Having nuclear missiles that veer off course can be used as an excuse after we 'accidentally' obliterate Brussels post-Brexit.

That thought occurred to me too, but with Berlin instead.
    Once is happenstance, twice is co-incidence, ......
    Why choose between them? Twice is two warheads from a MIRV
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited January 2017
    Ch4 doing the sob story on the guy who got tasered. From the footage they show he resists arrest, is aggressive and tries to run off. For somebody who worked with the police he acts in a way to isn't exactly one who is respecting and engaging with the police.
  • Options
    pbr2013pbr2013 Posts: 649
    Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Trump derangement syndrome seems to operate to throw off even the normally level-headed.

You do grasp the concept of a "test"?
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190
    It sounds like residents in Surrey will have to make sure that their council tax is recalculated after the referendum:

http://tinyurl.com/gmt2z5r

Quite frankly this is ridiculous.
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300

Mortimer said:

Jonathan said:

Interesting that Spicer said that a trade deal will be beneficial where national security interests are important to US.
    National security interests sounds like code for protectionism.
  • Options

Ch4 doing the sob story on the guy who got tasered. From the footage they show he resists arrest, is aggressive and tries to run off. For somebody who worked with the police he acts in a way to isn't exactly one who is respecting and engaging with the police.

Rubbish you are clearly watching another video. There is no sign of him resisting arrest because at no time do the police try to arrest him. They do not tell him he is under arrest nor do they give any reason for stopping him.

The only people at fault here are the police. The two officers should lose their jobs and be prosecuted for assault. The Police Federation comment is so ludicrous it defies belief. Apparently being 'rude and uncooperative' is now enough excuse to get electrocuted by the police.
  • Options

Mortimer said:

Jonathan said:

America First will be the guiding principle but Spicer is clearly laying out that trade deals wil be put in place starting with close allies.

This whole briefing must scare the EU. The US is going to offer trade deals to EU members on a Nation state basis only
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,053
    edited January 2017
    So Trump's first executive order as President is to withdraw the U.S. from TPP, something leftwingers like George Monbiot have been calling for for years. Doubt he will get much credit though
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-38721056
  • Options
    The Brexit narrative says the referendum result is untouchable, but there are ways to reverse the decision

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/jan/23/leave-vote-labour-brexit-referendum-result?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other
  • Options
    isam said:
    Is the death penalty really an issue Nuttall wants to be pushing?

I think it would confuse the UKIP message.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190
    Bernie Ecclestone has been sacked:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/38723001
  • Options

The Brexit narrative says the referendum result is untouchable, but there are ways to reverse the decision

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/jan/23/leave-vote-labour-brexit-referendum-result?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

The only viable route is a change in government, either to one prepared to make a manifesto promise to keep us in or, as the case may be, rejoin.
  • Options
    tysontyson Posts: 6,050
    edited January 2017

Mortimer said:

Jonathan said:

America First will be the guiding principle but Spicer is clearly laying out that trade deals wil be put in place starting with close allies.

This whole briefing must scare the EU. The US is going to offer trade deals to EU members on a Nation state basis only
    I'd suggest reading the Plot Against America....Philip Roth's masterpiece detailing a parallel universe through the election of Lindbergh.

Could you imagine being the child of an immigrant living in the USA with Trump?

And so, how could anyone, anyone....want to share a platform with Trump? He is disgusting and vile. He's a narcissistic, misogynist, pathological liar.....

It is repellant enough that we are dealing with oil rich countries. And Trump who will soon enough be consigned to the cesspool of history. Why the hell would you want to rush to meet that? Are we that fucking desperate as a country we have to rush to see Trump?

• Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,419
    Liverpool fans give their verdict on Corbyn:

https://twitter.com/GuidoFawkes/status/823606479404105728

Amusingly, Labour could poll zero votes across the UK and on UNS, they'd still hold Liverpool Walton.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,983
    New thread folks!
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    A typical Don Brind article.

The line I enjoyed most was him moaning about Lib Dem tribalism.

Hello? You support Labour.
  • Options
    tyson said:

Mortimer said:

Jonathan said:

I'd suggest reading the Plot Against America....Philip Roth's masterpiece detailing a parallel universe through the election of Lindbergh.

And so, how could anyone, anyone....want to share a platform with Trump? He is disgusting and vile. He's a narcissistic, misogynist, pathological liar.....

It is repellant enough that we are dealing with oil rich countries. And Trump who will soon enough be consigned to the cesspool of history. Why the hell would you want to rush to meet that? Are we that fucking desperate as a country we have to rush to see Trump?

Problem is Tyson, he is the President and is fiercely pro US and that will chime with many in the US
  • Options

Dangerous, dangerous road to tread down. There must be some Tory moderate-remainers rubbing their hands at the idea of Labour having a civil war over whether to commit to rejoining in the 2020 or 2025 manifesto.
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Yes Jon.

Lets scrap our nuclear deterrent because of a failed test.

Err, you know there is a reason for tests don't you?

Also did you bother to look at the fail rate?

• Options
    rural_voterrural_voter Posts: 2,038

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

Pulpstar said:

SeanT said:

PlatoSaid said:

I've just started rewatching Big Bang Theory from the start on Netflix.
    I instantly thought of Raj and Penny :smiley:

As the bona fide Tory Boy at university, I was the performing monkey at house parties. Even when introduced by friends to gorgeous left-liberal girls as such, I did often get on rather well with them but missed several opportunities from sheer naivety.
    Not a mistake SeanT would have made.
    Nope, I'm afraid I was totally useless at noticing women coming on to me, at Uni.
    I recall one incident in the Union bar, as it was closing for the evening, when a girl put a hand on my knee and said, "Can I come and stay at your place tonight?"
    She was really hot.
    I looked at her, perplexed, and said "Isn't there a night bus to your part of town"? At which point she rolled her eyes (as did all my mates) and left me to me Fosters, with a justified and contemptuous sneer.
    It wasn't until my late 20s that I finally clued up. It wasn't until my 30s that I realised women like men to be ruthless, assertive, dominant (within reason). I fear there is some truth in Trump's remark, once you reach a certain level of success or confidence, you can just "grab them by the pussy" and they will yield.
    I emphasise I don't do this. But I have no doubt it works.
    I have a suspicion that those that protest the most are also probably the most susceptible to err "charms".
    Projection and all that good psychological stuff.
    Another way of saying Patriarchy is
    If I was still young free and single..
    You don't have to be young. I'm fifty bloody three. Helps if you're rich.
    You don't even have to be that rich. As long as you're solvent with a few bob to spare, not thick as a plank and keep yourself in reasonably good condition, it's not terribly hard to pick up a reasonable date.
    You have to actually want to do it, though. Personally, I'm not particularly interested in having a series of quick shags, but I'd quite like to find another long-term partner. Typical beta male, I guess, but that's what makes me happy. Suitable candidates are pretty thin on the ground, though.
    I am with you on that. Do I wish that I had had more one night stands? No. Do I wish that I had had more intimate moments with people whom I loved and loved me back? Yes.
    I too am a Beta male, or as my mother would put it "a lover, not a fighter"
    Based on chimps, gorillas and other large mammals, aren't the vast majority of males in that category, incl some UK PMs?
  • Options
    tyson said:

Mortimer said:

Jonathan said:

I'd also suggest reading Roth's "The Human Stain" about the pernicious influence of identity politics, amongst other of his works.
  • Options
    Or his greatest late masterpiece, American Pastoral.
  • Options
    It won't be German-Americans that American Jews have to look out for in the future.
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527

Liverpool fans give their verdict on Corbyn:

https://twitter.com/GuidoFawkes/status/823606479404105728

Amusingly, Labour could poll zero votes across the UK and on UNS, they'd still hold Liverpool Walton.

Yet it was a Tory seat until Eric Heffer won it in 1964!
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    edited January 2017
    tyson said:

It looked to me like Corbyn's first lucky break. He's been banging on about the danger of nuclear weapons and the first time the British public sees one of ours in action it loops the loop and would have left the US without Florida. With a Sid and Doris President and TM up his backside I'm starting to wonder if Corbyn might be the safest option.
  • Options
    It is interesting that Farron should claim an affection for Theresa May arising form the 1992 election. The feeling is not reciprocated. FACT. Theresa has said within my hearing that she will never forgive him for the way he conducted that election campaign.
This discussion has been closed.