Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » After a dramatic and historic day the world has changed and we

Comments

• Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,084

HYUFD said:

RobD said:

LOL.

I wonder what excuse Corbynistas will come up with now....
    I wonder what excuse the Conservatives will come up with when they fail to win the seat .
    Excuses? It would be most unusual for a government to win a seat at a by election.
    But but , we are umpteen points ahead in the opinion polls and Corbyn is rubbish and our expectation management was so bad that our supporters assumed we would win easily so they simply stayed at home .
    I have phoned in Copeland, the Tory vote is solid and motivated as it was in Sleaford which the Tories won easily. If Copeland goes blue it will be a triumph for May, no PM since Thatcher has gained a parliamentary seat in a by election
    As solid as Sleaford where the Conservative vote fell by half from 34,000 odd to 17,000 odd .
    And turnout
    And turnout will fall in Copeland too
    Was Sleaford only a 2.7% drop
    This was the change in votes at Sleaford

https://twitter.com/MSmithsonPB/status/807151640734289920

It is voteshare which counts in by elections as turnout is always below general elections. The Tories got 53%, UKIP 13%, the LDs 11% and Labour 10%
  • Options

HYUFD said:

RobD said:

LOL.

I wonder what excuse the Conservatives will come up with when they fail to win the seat .
    Excuses? It would be most unusual for a government to win a seat at a by election.
    But but , we are umpteen points ahead in the opinion polls and Corbyn is rubbish and our expectation management was so bad that our supporters assumed we would win easily so they simply stayed at home .
    I have phoned in Copeland, the Tory vote is solid and motivated as it was in Sleaford which the Tories won easily. If Copeland goes blue it will be a triumph for May, no PM since Thatcher has gained a parliamentary seat in a by election
    As solid as Sleaford where the Conservative vote fell by half from 34,000 odd to 17,000 odd .
    And turnout
    So it's share of the vote not total votes cast that matters then.
    Yes , of course , and if Labour's support is down by 1/3rd as per the Telegraph story ( false news ? ) and the Conservatives id down by half as per Sleaford , Labour will win .
    Are you illiterate? It says the share of support is down by a third and that the vote share is expected to be down in the thirties.

The Conservatives support wasn't down in Sleaford, just their turnout. Turnout will combine with less support not mitigate it in Copeland.

Canvass returns taken in recent weeks show that support for Labour has dropped 35 per cent in Copeland when compared with the 2015 election result, this newspaper has learned.

Party sources involved in the campaign now expect the Tories to take win the seat by thousands of votes, with the Labour vote share possibly slumping to the low thirties.
    No I am not illiterate , just a bit more wary of fake news than you are .
    More likely to be Labour expectation management, no? Make an opposition hold into some sort of triumph?
  • Options
    edited January 2017

RobD said:

RobD said:

HYUFD said:

RobD said:

LOL.

And turnout
    Yes , of course , and if Labour's support is down by 1/3rd as per the Telegraph story ( false news ? ) and the Conservatives id down by half as per Sleaford , Labour will win .
    Down a third in terms of share of vote, or absolute number?
    Ask the Telegraph - LOL .
    If it was absolute number and turnout does go down by half (typical for by elections?) they would trounce the Tories. Given the story is about them potentially losing the seat, I don't think that is the case.
    I doubt whether there is much truth in the story , much more like awful expectation management on behalf of the Conservatives .
    On present polling Copeland is neck and neck between the Tories and Labour
  • Options
    MarkSeniorMarkSenior Posts: 4,699
    RobD said:

HYUFD said:

RobD said:

LOL.

And turnout
    Are you illiterate? It says the share of support is down by a third and that the vote share is expected to be down in the thirties.

The Conservatives support wasn't down in Sleaford, just their turnout. Turnout will combine with less support not mitigate it in Copeland.

Canvass returns taken in recent weeks show that support for Labour has dropped 35 per cent in Copeland when compared with the 2015 election result, this newspaper has learned.

Party sources involved in the campaign now expect the Tories to take win the seat by thousands of votes, with the Labour vote share possibly slumping to the low thirties.
    What part do you think is fake?
    Probably all of it . I would think it doubtful the Telegraph has any access to Labour's detailed canvass returns in Copeland .;
  • Options
    It's unfair to call people 'illiterate' just because they disagree with you. Far too many political exchanges on this site involve insults when it's quite unnecessary.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

RobD said:

LOL.

And turnout

Claiming the story is fake is one thing, time may tell.

Claiming that vote share down a third means they'll win if another parties vote total is down by half is something completely else. You can't justify that.
  • Options
    tysontyson Posts: 6,050

It has been rumoured that Theresa May will be going to the US in February. If the by elections are on the 23rd February it would be very bad news for labour if the dates coincide

Do you not think a win in Copeland, a close call (or win) in Stoke would motivate the Tories to go in for the kill.....
  • Options
    tyson said:

It has been rumoured that Theresa May will be going to the US in February. If the by elections are on the 23rd February it would be very bad news for labour if the dates coincide

Do you not think a win in Copeland, a close call (or win) in Stoke would motivate the Tories to go in for the kill.....
    in for the kill = early election? I doubt it. We are still too close to the "snap election" May referred to. She'd rather keep an election in her pocket if negotiations go badly.
  • Options

It's unfair to call people 'illiterate' just because they disagree with you. Far too many political exchanges on this site involve insults when it's quite unnecessary.

I'm sorry if Mark is offended but the article (and repeated posters) said share and he kept repeating it as vote total which means something completely different. I used a strong word to emphasise the point and far worse is said regularly but I don't want to cause offence so sorry if it was taken.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

RobD said:

LOL.

And turnout

More likely to be Labour expectation management, no? Make an opposition hold into some sort of triumph?
    Considering the source of the article is said to be Labour canvass returns that's far more likely than it being Tory expectation management.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    edited January 2017
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    edited January 2017

RobD said:

Probably all of it . I would think it doubtful the Telegraph has any access to Labour's detailed canvass returns in Copeland .;
    Is it not possible someone in Labour has leaked a summary of Labour's canvass returns in Copeland?

Do you believe political leaks don't happen? I'd like to sell you a bridge if so (if that language isn't too offensive).
  • Options
    The_ApocalypseThe_Apocalypse Posts: 7,830
    edited January 2017

I'm sorry if Mark is offended but the article (and repeated posters) said share and he kept repeating it as vote total which means something completely different. I used a strong word to emphasise the point and far worse is said regularly but I don't want to cause offence so sorry if it was taken.
    I wasn't offended, I just thought I'd speak on it because of personal experiences on this site of having people hurl insults (which are far worse than what you said) at me.
  • Options
    PaganPagan Posts: 259
    fpt

SeanT said:

Scott_P said:
    How utterly depressing. That quite possibly means the end of the Paris Climate Agreement and, with it, the last real change of limiting carbon emissions. If you want your descendants to inherit the family home, best make sure it's on high ground!
    Good. Climate change is economic voodoo. We will adapt. The best periods for life on earth - a provable fact in terms of species variety - have been the warmer periods.
    There's a small, but not completely negligible, chance that burning all accessible fossil fuels will turn the Earth into another Venus. Our descendants may have some difficulties adapting to that.
    during the carboniferous period co2 levels were 1800ppm almost 5 times more than now, if we were going to turn into venus we would have already done so
  • Options
    weejonnieweejonnie Posts: 3,820

@tyson. I laughed when you said they were on the 'deluded side of delusional.' The trouble with a lot of the Corbyn supporters I know is that they only know people who think like them, for the most part.

Twitter has killed the Labour and the Democrat party. Both are now ghettoised - mentally, not physically.
  • Options
    tyson said:

It would depend. I do not think Theresa May will call an election unless she is unable to serve A50 or the HOL causes a delay.

The Country does not want one and neither does she
  • Options
    MarkSeniorMarkSenior Posts: 4,699

RobD said:

Is it not possible someone in Labour has leaked a summary of Labour's canvass returns in Copeland?

Do you believe political leaks don't happen? I'd like to sell you a bridge if so (if that language isn't too offensive).
    Unlike yourself I would not buy a bridge particularly if you were quoting the Telegraph that it was a bargain price .
  • Options
    weejonnie said:

@tyson. I laughed when you said they were on the 'deluded side of delusional.' The trouble with a lot of the Corbyn supporters I know is that they only know people who think like them, for the most part.

Twitter has killed the Labour and the Democrat party. Both are now ghettoised - mentally, not physically.
    The far left have been around long before twitter. I also don't think the Democrat party have been 'killed'. I expect the Democrats to actually be a decent opposition - not in the least because Schumer is a fairly reasonable guy, unlike Corbyn.

Just my two cents.
  • Options
    Has WWIII started yet. We are in the bomb shelter and internet is a bit iffy.
  • Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905
    https://twitter.com/IsabelHardman/status/822557392131018752

"It would be easy to blame Jeremy Corbyn for losing the heartlands, but it would be wrong. This quiet crisis predates his leadership by decades.

"Corbyn, says the Labour pollster James Morris, is not the source of the party’s problem, but rather the final straw for voters who were already losing patience. ‘From the point of view of someone who lives on an estate in Hull, his utopian, cosmopolitan, internationalist, anti-military non–patriotic beliefs are all what they already think of the Labour party. Ed Miliband had his own problems, but he wasn’t the personification of everything that was wrong with the Labour party and none of the good things.’

"Morris and others have conducted focus groups in constituencies across the party’s heartlands and have found voters running out of reasons to stay with Labour. ‘The only thing that is propping up the party is a social norm, and if that cracks, then it becomes a snowball, and that’s what happened in Scotland,’ says Morris. Another source working with MPs frets that he cannot see the floor to the Labour vote any more. In Copeland, it is retaining voters from the general election at a rate of 65 per cent — in the Oldham vote, that rate was around 80 per cent. Labour once believed voters in Scotland would always stay loyal. After the 2014 referendum, that assumption was proved wrong. Now its MPs are beginning to worry the same will happen in northern England and the Midlands."
  • Options
    PaganPagan Posts: 259

yes germany lost again
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,194

Labour won the seat with 42.3% of the vote, so I'd suggest the 35% figure is a percentage and not a percentage point figure. Otherwise they'd be looking at a single digit vote share!
  • Options
    weejonnie said:

A bit too early I think for the funeral party........DJT has shown the way for the left; gloves off, unabashed...and not I repeat NOT, talking about minorities, sexuality or migrants and how horrible Brexit or GOP....a starter for ten....
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

Labour won the seat with 42.3% of the vote, so I'd suggest the 35% figure is a percentage and not a percentage point figure. Otherwise they'd be looking at a single digit vote share!

If I was a labour supporter the thought the conservatives could win the seat by thousands would put me in despair
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527

HYUFD said:

RobD said:

LOL.

/blockquote>

And turnout

Claiming the story is fake is one thing, time may tell.

Claiming that vote share down a third means they'll win if another parties vote total is down by half is something completely else. You can't justify that.
    But Labour's vote share was 42% there in 2015. Knocking a third off that would put Labour on 28% - not the low 30s
  • Options
    Pagan said:

yes germany lost again
    I am not sure if I believe you...they have lost too quickly. If you had said yes and the French have already surrendered I might have.
  • Options

tyson said:

It would depend. I do not think Theresa May will call an election unless she is unable to serve A50 or the HOL causes a delay.

I think you are right in your opinion, but very short termist.... I do genuinely think that May would find a large majority and a five year mandate incredibly helpful. What is she going to lose? Seriously? She could turn a GE around in a couple of months next year around the May elections which will be disruptive anyhow.. Very, very tempting.....

If I was close to her, I would be that little devil on her shoulder saying go for it
  • Options

https://twitter.com/stjamesl/status/822567278575239171
  • Options
    peter_from_putneypeter_from_putney Posts: 6,875
    edited January 2017
    ***** Betting Post *****

The Copeland by-election appears certain to be won by either Labour or the Tories. Placing a combination bet on both these parties at the prevailing odds, provides an opportunity to make a 15.83% return over the coming weeks, whichever is the victor:

Stake 35.64% on Labour at 3.25 with BetFred.
    Stake 64.36% on the Tories at 1.80 with Hills, Betway or Boylesports.

DYOR and check those odds carefully which are subject to change at any time.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,943
    Lol FOURTH ?!!
  • Options
    Who says crime doesn't pay...

US prosecutors want an order to seize $14bn (£11.3bn) of his assets.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-latin-america-38696925

No not Trump, he isn't that rich (or a criminal...this one just for the lawyers, waves)...."El Chapo"
  • Options
    Some Trump supporter is on BBC saying he likes Trump because he's an 'alpha male'. Jesus Christ.
  • Options

tlg86 said:

If I was a labour supporter the thought the conservatives could win the seat by thousands would put me in despair
    I have been in utter despair since Corbyn's 2016 election and ever since.....Copeland would be like a very welcome mercy killing......
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

https://twitter.com/stjamesl/status/822567278575239171
    He is well late to the party...I got cracking on mine on 9th Nov.
  • Options

***** Betting Post *****

The Copeland by-election appears certain to be won by either Labour or the Tories. Placing a combination bet on both these parties at the prevailing odds, provides an opportunity to make a 15.83% return over the coming weeks, whichever is the victor:

Stake 35.64% on Labour at 3.25 with BetFred.
    Stake 64 .36% on the Tories at 1.80 with Hills, Betway or Boylesports.

DYOR and check those odds carefully which are subject to change at any time.

Hah I am on this bet effectively, for almost 2k lol
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
  • Options
    tyson said:

tlg86 said:

I have been in utter despair since Corbyn's 2016 election and ever since.....Copeland would be like a very welcome mercy killing......
    I've been in utter despair ever since Ed Miliband got elected Labour leader in September 2010.
  • Options

Some Trump supporter is on BBC saying he likes Trump because he's an 'alpha male'. Jesus Christ.

I never put Jesus Christ in the alpha male box myself...
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Lol FOURTH ?!!

It's expectations management... they really think... second...
  • Options
    edited January 2017

weejonnie said:

The far left have been around long before twitter. I also don't think the Democrat party have been 'killed'. I expect the Democrats to actually be a decent opposition - not in the least because Schumer is a fairly reasonable guy, unlike Corbyn.

Just my two cents.
    Obama won in 2012 despite Twitter. Ironically losing the White House is the best thing that could have happened to the Democrats and gives tham a chance in 2018 of taking Congress they would not have had under President Hillary. By contrast Trump's win was great for him but may be less so for the GOP
  • Options

I never put Jesus Christ in the alpha male box myself...
    Hahaha. In all seriousness a Trump supporter saying that didn't surprise me. But still....
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Lol FOURTH ?!!

It's expectations management... they really think... second...
    Well so long as UKIP don't win Copeland ;)
  • Options

tyson said:

tlg86 said:

I've been in utter despair ever since Ed Miliband got elected Labour leader in September 2010.
    This is getting like the YorkshireMan's Python sketch...but I've been in utter despair since Gordon Brown's coronation in 2008, so there......
  • Options
    @GPW_Portland: Great hit by @benrileysmith the PM will be first leader through White House door next week

Ummm

@elliotttimes: Exc Theresa May lining up trip to Washington on Thursday - only Netanyahu ahead in the queue. twitter.com/hendopolis/sta…
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

weejonnie said:

Just my two cents.
    Obama won in 2012 despite Twitter. Ironically losing the White House is the best thing that could have happened to the Democrats and gives tham a chance in 2018 of taking Congress they would not have had under President Hillary. By contrast Trump's win was great for him but may be less so for the GOP
    I'm hoping the Democrats do very well in 2018. The thing is with twitter, it's that a home for both the extreme left and the extreme right. I've seen many of those belonging to the hard-right on twitter. I think twitter in general is just a home for those who don't want to hear any opinion which challenges their own.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited January 2017
    Scott_P said:

@GPW_Portland: Great hit by @benrileysmith the PM will be first leader through White House door next week

Ummm

@elliotttimes: Exc Theresa May lining up trip to Washington on Thursday - only Netanyahu ahead in the queue. twitter.com/hendopolis/sta…

According to the Times, it will be May's second POTUS she has met in the White House since becoming PM.
  • Options
    tyson said:

tyson said:

tlg86 said:

This is getting like the YorkshireMan's Python sketch...but I've been in utter despair since Gordon Brown's coronation in 2008, so there......
    You win. When Blair went into Iraq I was 10/11 years old. So yeah, I wasn't really interested in politics at that age....
  • Options
    valleyboyvalleyboy Posts: 605
    I suspect serious canvassing will only have started in Copeland in the last week or so, so I doubt the accuracy of this story.That's not to say the the Tories will not win.
  • Options
    tyson said:

tyson said:

tlg86 said:

2001 was Labour's peak:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/front_page/1207748.stm

I should probably be more grateful to Gordon Brown, that move must have earnt me at least a grand.
  • Options
    Ha!

@GeorgeTakei: The peaceful transfer of power is a thing of beauty. One moment Barack Obama is leader of the Free World. A moment later it's Angela Merkel.
  • Options
    tyson said:

tyson said:

I think you are right in your opinion, but very short termist.... I do genuinely think that May would find a large majority and a five year mandate incredibly helpful. What is she going to lose? Seriously? She could turn a GE around in a couple of months next year around the May elections which will be disruptive anyhow.. Very, very tempting.....

If I was close to her, I would be that little devil on her shoulder saying go for it
    To be honest Tyson she believes in doing the right thing and the right thing is to stand by her word and not call at GE unless A50 is threatened.

I believe that the Nation appreciates a politician who puts the Country first rather than political calculations
  • Options
    OllyTOllyT Posts: 4,913

tlg86 said:

Can you not grasp that many Labour supporters want a bad result to get rid of Corbyn? I am convinced he will not lead Labour into the next GE and Tory strategy appears to be resting rather complacently on the assumption that he will.
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
  • Options
    MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034
    glw said:

Is it really credible that the Tories might win it? That would be a hell of a coup.

It occurs to me that this is a terrible prospect, Labour might actually do something about Corbyn. Boris needs to say something very rude about Merkel ASAP.
    Berlusconi-level rude?
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    Scott_P said:
    How many jobs is Nige going to have? At this rate he will never be at home...ohhhh yes....he isn't at the moment anyway.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    Trump really doesn't respect Theresa May.
  • Options
    Copeland - the one thing, the only thing, Corbyn Labour has been good at is expectation management; so handle the vote story with extreme care. If Labour does lose, though, it would be beyond catastrophic for the leadership and the party as a whole.
  • Options
    tyson said:

tlg86 said:

Well only if it brought labour to it's senses but how do you get him out - Miliband was not only a loser but his £3 membership ruse sounded the end of labour as we know it
  • Options
    If Copeland canvass returns are so bad, why did Labour call the election today? Handle with extreme care.
  • Options
    Tim_BTim_B Posts: 7,669
    Look out for the Marching Tornadoes from Talladega College in the parade. They are awesome!

http://www.al.com/news/anniston-gadsden/index.ssf/2017/01/talladega_college_band_donatio.html
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,288

Copeland - the one thing, the only thing, Corbyn Labour has been good at is expectation management; so handle the vote story with extreme care. If Labour does lose, though, it would be beyond catastrophic for the leadership and the party as a whole.

but it would be very, very funny.

However, it would be no bad thing if Corbyn was defenestrated soon afterwards.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,783
    This'll be popular in the EU:

The President’s plan will lower rates for Americans in every tax bracket, simplify the tax code, and reduce the U.S. corporate tax rate, which is one of the highest in the world.

https://www.whitehouse.gov/bringing-back-jobs-and-growth
  • Options

Pagan said:

yes germany lost again
    I am not sure if I believe you...they have lost too quickly. If you had said yes and the French have already surrendered I might have.
    Italy has already changed sides three times.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,313
    OllyT said:

tlg86 said:

Can you not grasp that many Labour supporters want a bad result to get rid of Corbyn? I am convinced he will not lead Labour into the next GE and Tory strategy appears to be resting rather complacently on the assumption that he will.
    I heard one Blairite saying as much, in private, just recently. They may be keeping their head down but that doesn't mean they have stopped wishing for Corbyn to fail.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Ha!

@GeorgeTakei: The peaceful transfer of power is a thing of beauty. One moment Barack Obama is leader of the Free World. A moment later it's Angela Merkel.

Merkel just lost out to Theresa May
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

35% lost of 42.3% would not keep them in the low 30s unless they expect the vote to be down for other parties too.
  • Options

LOL

Your fanboi routine gets funnier every day

Applaud (sic)
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,194
    MTimT said:

tlg86 said:

35% lost of 42.3% would not keep them in the low 30s unless they expect the vote to be down for other parties too.
    Yes, they're clearly making assumptions about turnout being down. It will be, but by how much?
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,341
    edited January 2017
    Scott_P said:

LOL

Your fanboi routine gets funnier every day

Applaud (sic)
    They call it loyalty

PS - my wife has always accused me of being a stirrer and gave me the biggest spoon she could find for my 60th
  • Options
    brokenwheelbrokenwheel Posts: 3,352
    edited January 2017

If Copeland canvass returns are so bad, why did Labour call the election today? Handle with extreme care.

Why would they call it later? The longer they leave it the longer the other parties have to get some kind of organisation.

Not that I disagree about not trusting this story, it is clearly Labour expectation management.
  • Options
    MTimT said:

Pagan said:

yes germany lost again
    The Italian Book of War Heroes is still not selling well......
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098

HYUFD said:

weejonnie said:

Just my two cents.
    "I think twitter in general is just a home for those who don't want to hear any opinion which challenges their own."
    Might I suggest people use Twitter and create from it what they want. My own Twitter feed has very little politics but quite a lot about history, sheep (including sheep dogs), cats, some military/naval stuff, free ranged versus all year round housed dairy cows, and of course Llamas. All sorts of different opinions being expressed about all those thing some of which I agree with and some I do not.

If some people want to use Twitter as an echo chamber for their political views, well why not? It is probably no worse than only reading one newspaper and claiming to be well informed on current affairs.

• Options
    Michelle Obama let her feelings be known today:

https://twitter.com/MsHustlee/status/822516007352893441
  • Options

Michelle Obama let her feelings be known today:

https://twitter.com/MsHustlee/status/822516007352893441

Is that because she had to be next to Hiliary?
  • Options
    brokenwheelbrokenwheel Posts: 3,352
    Tim_B said:

MTimT said:

Pagan said:

yes germany lost again
    I prefer non-fiction.
  • Options
    I didn't hear Trump speech, catching up now...America First....America First....is that a spin off of Britain First movement?
  • Options
    DanSmithDanSmith Posts: 1,215
    justin124 said:
    It might be, or we might be seeing a Scottish style unravelling of Labour going on in certain parts of England now.
  • Options

Tim_B said:

MTimT said:

Pagan said:

yes germany lost again
    I prefer non-fiction.
    I assume "It's not about the bike" is not on your reading list either?
  • Options
    DanSmithDanSmith Posts: 1,215
    How bad would the by election results have to be for the hard left to make a move against Corbyn?
  • Options

HYUFD said:

weejonnie said:

Just my two cents.
    I'm hoping the Democrats do very well in 2018. The thing is with twitter, it's that a home for both the extreme left and the extreme right. I've seen many of those belonging to the hard-right on twitter. I think twitter in general is just a home for those who don't want to hear any opinion which challenges their own.
    It is no secret that the biggest political users of Twitter in the UK are Corbynistas, Cybernats and Kippers
  • Options

HYUFD said:

weejonnie said:

Just my two cents.
    "I think twitter in general is just a home for those who don't want to hear any opinion which challenges their own."

If some people want to use Twitter as an echo chamber for their political views, well why not? It is probably no worse than only reading one newspaper and claiming to be well informed on current affairs.

I think the trouble comes when those people want to be involved in politics. If you start getting involved in politics then you can't live in an echo chamber - you have to confront views which may differ from your own.
  • Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905

The President’s plan will lower rates for Americans in every tax bracket, simplify the tax code, and reduce the U.S. corporate tax rate, which is one of the highest in the world.

If Trump moves to engage in competitive tax cutting for businesses, then the G20 agreement on the subject made at Antalya is toast. This is very relevant as the German finance minister has been warning Britain not to engage in the competitive cutting of corporation tax, based on the fact that we signed up to this agreement.

An important diplomatic barrier to Britain doing the same thing would therefore be removed. Could come in very handy if the EU chooses to play hardball over trade - in fact, could come in very handy in any event.

As Philip Hammond recently said, Britain follows the European social model but is toward the American end of it. We also have a centre-right Government facing a very weak Opposition. If compelled to do so, we have a lot more political room to hack away at social spending, in order to fund aggressive tax cuts, than is the case in most Continental European societies. Under adverse circumstances, the Government should be reasonably successful in deflecting the blame for any unpopular cuts, by invoking the doctrine of necessity in the face of EU intransigence.
  • Options
    I'm surprised there appears to be no betting market on the date (i.e. year) when Corbyn ceases to be Labour Leader ..... perhaps Shadsy would oblige with one of his specials.

Were Labour to lose Copeland, then I would expect 2017 to edge it as favourite at around 2/1. Other years might be something along the lines of: 2018: 4/1, 2019: 3/1, 2020 or later: 5/2.
  • Options
    edited January 2017

tyson said:

tlg86 said:

Well only if it brought labour to it's senses but how do you get him out - Miliband was not only a loser but his £3 membership ruse sounded the end of labour as we know it
    Corbyn has a mandate from members, doubt they will care if the Tories win Copeland especially as Labour are still likely to hold Stoke on the same day
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098

HYUFD said:

weejonnie said:

Just my two cents.

I think the trouble comes when those people want to be involved in politics. If you start getting involved in politics then you can't live in an echo chamber - you have to confront views which may differ from your own.
    What on earth gives you that idea? Look at Jeremy Corbyn, as a starter for ten.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,352

The wording of the quotes suggests a source with a definite anti-Corbyn view himself, but the selection of an anti-Corbyn pro-nuclear candidate makes that line of thought more difficult to sustain. I have no direct information but it's too early to call it accurately.
  • Options

I'm surprised there appears to be no betting market on the date (i.e. year) when Corbyn ceases to be Labour Leader ..... perhaps Shadsy would oblige with one of his specials.

Were Labour to lose Copeland, then I would expect 2017 to edge it as favourite at around 2/1. Other years might be something along the lines of: 2018: 4/1, 2019: 3/1, 2020 or later: 5/2.

But how can he be removed
  • Options

HYUFD said:

weejonnie said:

Just my two cents.

What on earth gives you that idea? Look at Jeremy Corbyn, as a starter for ten.
    That's exactly my point. Because people like Corbyn want to live in an echo chamber it's a total disaster for the left.
  • Options

If Trump moves to engage in competitive tax cutting for businesses, then the G20 agreement on the subject made at Antalya is toast. This is very relevant as the German finance minister has been warning Britain not to engage in the competitive cutting of corporation tax, based on the fact that we signed up to this agreement.

An important diplomatic barrier to Britain doing the same thing would therefore be removed. Could come in very handy if the EU chooses to play hardball over trade - in fact, could come in very handy in any event.

As Philip Hammond recently said, Britain follows the European social model but is toward the American end of it. We also have a centre-right Government facing a very weak Opposition. If compelled to do so, we have a lot more political room to hack away at social spending, in order to fund aggressive tax cuts, than is the case in most Continental European societies. Under adverse circumstances, the Government should be reasonably successful in deflecting the blame for any unpopular cuts, by invoking the doctrine of necessity in the face of EU intransigence.
    Beyond corporation tax I don't think tax cuts will be that radical but that cut could be crucial in keeping investment here
  • Options

The wording of the quotes suggests a source with a definite anti-Corbyn view himself, but the selection of an anti-Corbyn pro-nuclear candidate makes that line of thought more difficult to sustain. I have no direct information but it's too early to call it accurately.
    But is the candidate pro Brexit
  • Options

If compelled to do so, we have a lot more political room to hack away at social spending, in order to fund aggressive tax cuts, than is the case in most Continental European societies. Under adverse circumstances, the Government should be reasonably successful in deflecting the blame for any unpopular cuts, by invoking the doctrine of necessity in the face of EU intransigence.

This might be a problem...

https://twitter.com/MichaelPDeacon/status/747000584226607104/photo/1
  • Options

Scott_P said:
    How you could suggest that when it's being suggested he wants to meet her as soon as possible is beyond me.
  • Options
    Pagan said:

fpt

SeanT said:

Scott_P said:
    How utterly depressing. That quite possibly means the end of the Paris Climate Agreement and, with it, the last real change of limiting carbon emissions. If you want your descendants to inherit the family home, best make sure it's on high ground!
    Good. Climate change is economic voodoo. We will adapt. The best periods for life on earth - a provable fact in terms of species variety - have been the warmer periods.
    There's a small, but not completely negligible, chance that burning all accessible fossil fuels will turn the Earth into another Venus. Our descendants may have some difficulties adapting to that.
    during the carboniferous period co2 levels were 1800ppm almost 5 times more than now, if we were going to turn into venus we would have already done so
    Nope, because the sun was a bit dimmer in those days.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Beyond corporation tax I don't think tax cuts will be that radical but that cut could be crucial in keeping investment here
    UK corporation tax down to 12.5% in 2020 ?
  • Options

Scott_P said:
    How you could suggest that when it's being suggested he wants to meet her as soon as possible is beyond me.
    I'm suggesting it because it's being reported that Farage will be an advisor to him - something that goes against what the May government wants.
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    While the UK does parades with gold carriages, the US have John Deere tractors...
  • Options

Scott_P said:

Ha!

Have to say, whatever his politics, Takei is consistently funny. Shame they did not use this to greater effect on Star Trek.
This discussion has been closed.