Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Stoke Central, where MP Tristram Hunt is resigning, could be a

12346»

Comments

• Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,422
    Scott_P said:

It's complete tosh. Stormont has no role in triggering Article 50, which is a reserved matter. Therefore, there's no substance to the challenge. N Ireland has MPs to represent its views on issues like this.

Didn't you say that about the first court case?
    I don't think I was quite so firm in my view on that one, not least because I knew the argument I was putting then involved some constitutional innovation. By contrast, this challenge is just silly. What if Stormont is suspended, which it has been on occasion for years and which it might be again if no post-election deal is possible? Does Brexit get held up for years because Sinn Fein - which doesn't even want to be in the UK - has a veto?
  • Options
    I also read this politico piece today:

http://www.politico.eu/article/surprise-in-the-european-parliament-fierce-election-campaign-brussels-strasbourg/

My main thought was that it seemed such a parallel universe.

Manfred Weber, the German MEP who leads the EPP group, accused Pittella and Guy Verhofstadt, the candidate of the Alliance of Liberals and Democrats for Europe (ALDE), of trying to cut the so-called “cordon sanitaire” by which the bigger pro-EU parties have blocked Euroskeptics from getting any foothold in the Parliament’s leadership.

“Let me make it clear that anyone that wants to break that pact between pro-European forces, well, those groups are responsible for allowing Euroskeptics and radicals to influence decisions in this house,” Weber said. “We don’t want that to come to pass and we will fight with every breath of our body to prevent it happening."

I just can't see that the whatever-it-is that the EU has morphed into in the next 10 or 20 years is going to be an attractive proposition for the whatever-is-left of the UK to rejoin. More so when one considers the various strings attached to rejoining, such as euro membership. Regardless of aspects of common history and culture or how economically well-off the EU might be by then, the EU is increasingly becoming a foreign country - and post-Brexit, with increasing emphasis on the word "country".
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

Charles said:

TOPPING said:

AndyJS said:

Sean_F said:

TOPPING said:

Tristram Hunt: against elitism and grammar schools. So becomes director of the V&A? Nice one

What is elitist about the V&A?
    If Tristram has his way it will be more elitist and less accessible.

https://twitter.com/old_labour/status/819851678442721280

Charging for museum entry is quite reasonable.
    Charging for entry would have saved any number of small museums up and down the country which closed or merged after seeing funding cut.
    I'd prefer to be charged rather than be told it's free and then be harassed for donations the whole time which usually spoils the experience of visiting wherever it is.
    Totally agree.

Also, free museums are rammed full of people (in London at least) who don't appreciate or value what they're seeing, partly because it's free.

They amble around chatting, making noise or staring at their phones instead.
    I would have no problem charging tourists and allow residents to get in free. How that would work administratively, god knows.
    Add £1-2 per night to price of a central London hotel room, hypothocated to London museums. Redistribute the grant in a us to smaller museums nationwide.

Visiting museums is not the only reason to visit London.

Nor do only foreigners use London hotel rooms.

It's a new revenue stream that most won't notice and will free up significant resources that can be better deployed elsewhere
  • Options
    rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,921
    Charles said:

rkrkrk said:

Others have asked for advice on here and found it helpful so i am trying the same.

I'm thinking if buying a flat for the first time jointly with a family member.
    I earn in $ which I think complicates things. What advice or experience do people have with mortgage brokers?

$ earnings will be complicated. Are they UK sourced? Either way you should probably go to a broker because it's a joint mortgage as well. John Charcol are the best, albeit not cheap.
    Thanks for the response.

Yes it does seem to be complicated with dollars... Feels weird to me since I would have thought it didn't make a huge difference...
    No my earnings come from the US. I will look into John Charcol - thanks.
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,422

Has Martin McGuinness played a masterstroke for Remainers here?

https://twitter.com/SiobhanFenton/status/819947194648248320

It's complete tosh. Stormont has no role in triggering Article 50, which is a reserved matter. Therefore, there's no substance to the challenge. N Ireland has MPs to represent its views on issues like this.
    I think the other aspect to consider is the Good Friday Agreement and withdrawal from the ECHR would breach that.

I do know a Brexit supporting barrister who is really worried by that aspect.

Would Mrs May really want to be spoken in the same breath as the Real IRA
    As the ECHR is not part of the EU, that shouldn't be a consideration re triggering A50.

There is a legitimate concern on the GFA, although no reason why Britain couldn't revert to pre-1998 position where ECtHR was none binding (other than for N Ireland, where the HRA could continue to apply).
  • Options

Look out, here comes the Progressive Alliance!

https://twitter.com/NCPoliticsUK/status/819942771163275264

When even the LibDem candidate is in favour of nuclear power, someone needs to give voters a choice.

Contrast with Richmond where there was no pro-LHR expansion candidate.
    Lib Dems have been pro-nuclear power since 2013.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    rkrkrk said:

Charles said:

rkrkrk said:

Others have asked for advice on here and found it helpful so i am trying the same.

I'm thinking if buying a flat for the first time jointly with a family member.
    I earn in $ which I think complicates things. What advice or experience do people have with mortgage brokers?

$ earnings will be complicated. Are they UK sourced? Either way you should probably go to a broker because it's a joint mortgage as well. John Charcol are the best, albeit not cheap.
    Thanks for the response.

Yes it does seem to be complicated with dollars... Feels weird to me since I would have thought it didn't make a huge difference...
    No my earnings come from the US. I will look into John Charcol - thanks.
    You'll definitely need a broker then. You are probably best with Citi or someone but it's a pain. (I still can't borrow against my US house, even with dollar income, because I am not a US citizen)
  • Options

NEW THREAD

• Options
    If the Green's hadn't contested Copeland then they might as well have disbanded and joined Greenpeace. There can be few seats in Britain more in need of a distinctive Green critique of the existing economic model. That said the geography makes it a bitch of constituency to work from a standing start. I expect the 3% they got in 2015 to be squeezed.
  • Options
    Tissue_PriceTissue_Price Posts: 9,039

Mr. Eagles, reading the thread now. Guess which poster said this:
    "Mr. Eagles, is it asking for a list of reasons for Hannibal being the clear superior to the Queen of Bithynia?"

http://www2.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2015/06/15/it-is-jez-we-can-as-corbyn-makes-it-on-to-the-labour-leadership-ballot/

Edited extra bit: my initial thought wasn't quite cunning enough - "A few are getting a shade giddy over Corbyn."

Wish you hadn't linked to that thread - I'd forgotten this:

And... fully laid off at 26.0. Might regret that.

Charles said:

Given that you got on at 150, I doubt you'll regret it that much...

• Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,078
    Scott_P said:

Didn't you say that about the first court case?
    I wonder if it would make the Shinners turn up?
  • Options
    DjayMDjayM Posts: 21
    Nah. Fuck him. & his troughing replacement. Plague on all their houses
This discussion has been closed.