Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Stoke Central, where MP Tristram Hunt is resigning, could be a

Comments

• Options
    There are loads of well paid sinecures in the UK. And our Conservative government will be delighted to ensure that any Blairite MP wishing to retire early will get one. As it happens Reed and Hunt are very well qualified for the ones they are getting which is a highly unusual bonus.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    edited January 2017
    Interesting fact: Stoke-on-Trent is 94 minutes from London by train. I guess for most Londoners it's more like 94 light years.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,013
    Interesting piece on Cyprus talks, and more informative than Fergal Keane's[sp] emotive tosh on the news last night: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-38609828
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,148
    edited January 2017

felix said:

MrsB said:

Those of you speculating about the Lib Dems and Leavers and Remainers might like to contemplate the following

Sunderland voted for Brexit 61% to 39%
    Sunderland last night council by-election:

LDEM: 45.0% (+41.5)
    LAB: 25.0% (-29.9)
    UKIP: 18.7% (-7.2)
    CON: 10.0% (-5.7)
    GRN: 1.3% (+1.3)

IIRC Mike did a thread a short while ago that showed that the Lib Dem vote was up more in Leave areas than it was in Remain ones.

Relevant factors as I see it

- turnout (Leavers less likely to be regular voters)
    - Labour's poor ratings and general impression of uselessness
    - UKIP have no idea how to campaign and have strong unfavourably ratings
    - Tories the party of government, plus not very impressive at the moment and toxic in some areas
    - Remainers and centrists coalescing around the Lib Dems

THe Lib Dems are the only party going after Remainers. They are 48% of the country. Work out for yourselves whether that is likely to produce better results for the Lib Dems than national polling has hitherto suggested.

Edit: typo

Surely a key relevant factor is that these are by-elections and local ones at that! The national polling assumes a GE and a much bigger turnout. I voted remain but would not vote LD - I think i may not be alone. There really isn't 48% to play for. For national success the party needs policies for the post-Brexit future.
    When we are post-Brexit that would indeed be a good idea. Currently, pre-Brexit, it's a good idea to have policies for the type of Brexit we should have.
    Assuming of course that it in the government's gift

"Bonsoir M. Barnier, having won the approval of parliament we hereby enact Article 50 on behalf of the British people"

"Magnifique... and we offer you... nothing, now piss off"
    Regardless of the democratic mandate, or May playing Russian roulette with the economy, the negotiations can only go in the direction of giving us a choice between very hard Brexit and a less special deal than we have now.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,007
    Lads now 4/6 Lab in Stoke.. when does it become a bet?
  • Options
    MikeK said:

His (Hunt's) Stoke-on-Trent Central seat is set to be abolished under boundary changes.
    So say the BBC.

So will the by election be fought on new boundaries? No. It seems silly and a waste of taxpayers money that the by-election be staged at all.

There are over three years to the next scheduled parliamentary elections. Are you seriously suggesting the area shouldn't have an MP for 3+ years ?
  • Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,853
    Theory: Labour are currently less vulnerable in parliamentary by-elections than in either council by-elections or a general election.

Reasoning: More differential turnout from those who remain enthusiastic about Corbyn will occur in a parliamentary by-election than either in a council by-election (low turnout all around) or a general election (high turnout all around)

Result: Forcing by-elections might be a less good way of weakening Corbyn than is supposed, and present a falsely sunny picture to the Labour leadership. Likely decent wins in Stoke-on-Trent and Leigh. Copeland a slightly different case, the technical middle class and unionised workers most likely to be pro-Corbyn elsewhere likely also to be pro-nuclear here and thus more ambivalent, but sounds like NHS closures are a hot local issue here too.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,994
    MrsB said:

Those of you speculating about the Lib Dems and Leavers and Remainers might like to contemplate the following

IIRC Mike did a thread a short while ago that showed that the Lib Dem vote was up more in Leave areas than it was in Remain ones.

- Tories the party of government, plus not very impressive at the moment and toxic in some areas

THe Lib Dems are the only party going after Remainers. They are 48% of the country. Work out for yourselves whether that is likely to produce better results for the Lib Dems than national polling has hitherto suggested.

Of the 48% though, quite a lot are Conservatives who are pretty relaxed about leaving the EU (eg people like May and Hammond) , and many of the others are Labour, SNP, Green, or Plaid Cymru loyalists. The actual pool of potential Lib Dem votes is much less, although certainly bigger than the 8% that voted for the party in 2015.

More pertinently, people vote differently in different types of election, especially in mid-term. The Lib Dems' poll ratings will be the best guide to the party's vote share in Parliamentary elections.
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,956

felix said:

MrsB said:

Surely a key relevant factor is that these are by-elections and local ones at that! The national polling assumes a GE and a much bigger turnout. I voted remain but would not vote LD - I think i may not be alone. There really isn't 48% to play for. For national success the party needs policies for the post-Brexit future.
    When we are post-Brexit that would indeed be a good idea. Currently, pre-Brexit, it's a good idea to have policies for the type of Brexit we should have.

"Bonsoir M. Barnier, having won the approval of parliament we hereby enact Article 50 on behalf of the British people"

Regardless of the democratic mandate, or May playing Russian roulette with the economy, the negotiations can only go in the direction of giving us a choice between very hard Brexit and a less special deal than we have now.
    Colour me suspicious, but why would someone who is an avowed federalist suggest such a thing?
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,073
    Patrick said:

http://www.politico.eu/article/donald-trump-officials-ask-which-country-will-be-next-to-eu-exit/

Outgoing US ambassador says that encouraging Brexit is the height of folly.

He means other EU countries Brexiting, which they won't.
    The outgoing US Ambassador must be an Obama appointee. It would 100% be in the UK's interest to see other EU countries exit. An EU superdstate is not in the interests of a single EU citizen.
    What about Juncker? Surely it's in his interests?
  • Options
    AlsoIndigoAlsoIndigo Posts: 1,852

felix said:

MrsB said:

Regardless of the democratic mandate, or May playing Russian roulette with the economy, the direction of negotiations can only go in the direction of giving us a choice between very hard Brexit and a less special deal than we have now.
    That is a perfectly respectable view for a EU federalist to take. Other people don't see it that way because they see it as increasing our options outside the EU, and more important to most, decreasing the level of control exerted on the country from people we didn't elect and cant sack. You don't value these later factors so ofcourse every option looks like a bad option to you.
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,956
    Pro_Rata said:

Theory: Labour are currently less vulnerable in parliamentary by-elections than in either council by-elections or a general election.

Reasoning: More differential turnout from those who remain enthusiastic about Corbyn will occur in a parliamentary by-election than either in a council by-election (low turnout all around) or a general election (high turnout all around)

Result: Forcing by-elections might be a less good way of weakening Corbyn than is supposed, and present a falsely sunny picture to the Labour leadership. Likely decent wins in Stoke-on-Trent and Leigh. Copeland a slightly different case, the technical middle class and unionised workers most likely to be pro-Corbyn elsewhere likely also to be pro-nuclear here and thus more ambivalent, but sounds like NHS closures are a hot local issue here too.

I subscribe to this theory:

P.S. - I hate it when someone puts the amorphous theory going around in my head into actual words and logical order.

:)
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,403
    PlatoSaid said:

SeanT said:

The slow, painful, melancholy death of Labour.

Oh, and welcome back JackW - good news all round

I can quite understand why Labour MPs with strong marketable skills/earning power over £65k are jumping ship - they've no prospects of ministerial office for 8yrs at least.
    I think that is the key point. It is all very well to have strong beliefs but being in opposition and criticising for the sake of it must be soul destroying to anyone who (delusionally or otherwise) thinks that they are capable of actually doing something.

Labour have already lost in 2020. They may well have already lost in 2025. How much of your life do you want to spend having pointless discussions and debates without ever having the chance to make a real decision?
  • Options
    Pro_Rata said:

and because byelections allow party headquarters to saturation bomb the locale with activists and gee up the party faithful and get them out to vote, where as on county council and general elections they are spreading their effort all over the country and the local effect is greatly muted.

• Options
    Getting matched on Labour at 1.88 here.. they were 1.29 opening quote!
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,405
    edited January 2017

I remember being taken to the museum in Paisley by my mother who left school at the age of 14 when I was 5. She was insistent that I did not climb onto the stuffed animals which were the first things you saw when you entered the building.

We were not considered middle class as far as I know.

Have I misread this post? Is it an eats shoots and leaves?
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Labour have already lost in 2020. They may well have already lost in 2025. How much of your life do you want to spend having pointless discussions and debates without ever having the chance to make a real decision?

It's worse than that, even if they win in 2020, it will be a Corbynite win (god help us) and they still wont get a sniff of a ministerial job. Likely the same will apply in 2025 except it will be a slightly more presentable member of the hard left.

There is always the possibility that Labour decide that they didn't win with Corbyn because he wasn't left wing enough, there is a precedent for this sort of behaviour ;)

• Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    isam said:

It seems absurd to me. It's one thing thinking one of the other parties might be in with a shout. But Labour should be heavy favourites even in the current polling climate.
  • Options

That is a perfectly respectable view for a EU federalist to take. Other people don't see it that way because they see it as increasing our options outside the EU, and more important to most, decreasing the level of control exerted on the country from people we didn't elect and cant sack. You don't value these later factors so ofcourse every option looks like a bad option to you.

Having discussed this at length with people who hold the view that Brexit is a way to increase our options outside the EU I think this is a mischaracterisation of their true position.

What they actually want is to give the government no choice but to lean more heavily on options outside the EU. Most of the more realistic things they demand are entirely achievable while remaining members of the EU, but they hope that Brexit will force the government to pursue them with more vigour.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,291
    https://twitter.com/paulwaugh/status/819930727550689281

No Infidel Tanks in Baghdad moment.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,994

isam said:

It seems absurd to me. It's one thing thinking one of the other parties might be in with a shout. But Labour should be heavy favourites even in the current polling climate.
    I'd be very surprised if it isn't a Labour win, simply because it's so hard for the Opposition to lose a seat in mid-term.

Longer term, I think that Labour are in a lot of trouble in Stoke.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,403
    TOPPING said:

I remember being taken to the museum in Paisley by my mother who left school at the age of 14 when I was 5. She was insistent that I did not climb onto the stuffed animals which were the first things you saw when you entered the building.

She had a child at 9?
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,422
    rcs1000 said:

Patrick said:

http://www.politico.eu/article/donald-trump-officials-ask-which-country-will-be-next-to-eu-exit/

The outgoing US Ambassador must be an Obama appointee. It would 100% be in the UK's interest to see other EU countries exit. An EU superdstate is not in the interests of a single EU citizen.
    Certainly not. An EU superstate would have to be democratically elected and what chance would the incompetent muppet have then?

(Though it would be in the interests of the person who was elected).
  • Options
    rpjsrpjs Posts: 3,787

AndyJS said:

Sean_F said:

TOPPING said:

Tristram Hunt: against elitism and grammar schools. So becomes director of the V&A? Nice one

What is elitist about the V&A?
    If Tristram has his way it will be more elitist and less accessible.

https://twitter.com/old_labour/status/819851678442721280

Charging for museum entry is quite reasonable.
    Charging for entry would have saved any number of small museums up and down the country which closed or merged after seeing funding cut.
    I'd prefer to be charged rather than be told it's free and then be harassed for donations the whole time which usually spoils the experience of visiting wherever it is.
    Totally agree.

Also, free museums are rammed full of people (in London at least) who don't appreciate or value what they're seeing, partly because it's free.

They amble around chatting, making noise or staring at their phones instead.
    Perhaps we should all be asked to sit a test at the reception desk to see if we are worthy of admission?
    I do think there's a case for limiting free admission to UK residents.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

TOPPING said:

She had a child at 9?
    So it appeared.
  • Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,853
    Drawing the 2 threads close together, the Gladstone Pottery Museum (which I guess from the map would be in Stoke-on-Trent South) is a personal favourite museum. The pottery bit is very engaging, but the toilet museum provided the best entertainment on the day as my brother-in-law, degree-educated and aged in his 30s, went around making flushing noises and giggling. Amazing the pride those Victorians took in their sanitary ware and amazing the amusement we get from that!
  • Options
    DromedaryDromedary Posts: 1,194
    edited January 2017

There are loads of well paid sinecures in the UK. And our Conservative government will be delighted to ensure that any Blairite MP wishing to retire early will get one. As it happens Reed and Hunt are very well qualified for the ones they are getting which is a highly unusual bonus.

Being the director of the V&A (my least favourite of London's great museums) doubtless involves about 100 times more work than being master of a college at Oxford or Cambridge.
    felix said:

There are always plenty ofwell-paid sinecures for the well-heeled urban luvvies.

Would you call Tristram Hunt "urban"? I imagine his daddy, Baron Julian - another Trinity man - has a country house somewhere even if he's a mere life peer. Tristram's grandfather was Roland Hunt CMG, whose father-in-law was a CBE, whose own father-in-law was Sir Edward Bagnall Poulton who had an awfully bushy moustache. Hardly townies, although admittedly Tristram might do embarrassingly much of his hobnobbing in Islington rather than on the grouse moor.
  • Options
    rpjsrpjs Posts: 3,787
    glw said:

TOPPING said:

I would have no problem charging tourists and allow residents to get in free. How that would work administratively, god knows.

ID cards.

Or just use driving licences, which most people have, or any other reasonable proof of a UK address (bank statement, utility bill etc). Sure a few ex-pats who haven't given up their UK licences might sneak in, but it's one of those things were 100% accuracy wouldn't be worth achieving.
  • Options
    Pro_Rata said:

Drawing the 2 threads close together, the Gladstone Pottery Museum (which I guess from the map would be in Stoke-on-Trent South) is a personal favourite museum. The pottery bit is very engaging, but the toilet museum provided the best entertainment on the day as my brother-in-law, degree-educated and aged in his 30s, went around making flushing noises and giggling. Amazing the pride those Victorians took in their sanitary ware and amazing the amusement we get from that!

You are Thomas Crapper, and I claim my £5.
  • Options
    edited January 2017

isam said:

At the risk of comparing Apples with Oranges, the claim that Lib Dems are in with a good chance because they came 2nd in 2005 and 2010 may not be so great

2005 and 2010 were Peak Lib Dem I think we can agree... they scored 47 and 43% in those years' Richmond Park Elections.. against Zac last year they got 49% (lab soft pedalling and no Green)

In Stoke 05 and 10 they got 18 and 21%. That, added to the fact it is a Leave rather than Remain area, makes me think they can get 2nd at best.

Have the Conservatives no chance at all? Or less than 8% chance???

UKIP +BNP was 12% in 2010.. that is big
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,674

rcs1000 said:

Patrick said:

Certainly not. An EU superstate would have to be democratically elected and what chance would the incompetent muppet have then?

Strong words from you, David, and all the more amusing for it!
  • Options
    Another straw in the German political wind: The Greens are softening their stance on repatriation of failed asylum seekers from Afghanistan.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,002
    Lol !

Not top price on either, but I think the co-dependency makes up for it:

Doubles (x1)
    1 . Labour (Copeland by-election British)
    2 . Labour (Stoke-on-Trent Central by-election British)
    1 line at £20.00
    Total stake for this bet: £20.00
    Potential return: £82.05 :)
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,125

felix said:

MrsB said:

Indeed - but I don't think the LDs have that. Farron seeks to thwart it and that won't wash i'm afraid.
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    felix said:

felix said:

MrsB said:

Indeed - but I don't think the LDs have that. Farron seeks to thwart it and that won't wash i'm afraid.
    With you.

I'm sure there is a sizeable number of people who want to turn back the clock. The LDs were always a party of the unachievable ideal. It will take them a long time to recover from actually having been in government.
  • Options
    isam said:

isam said:

At the risk of comparing Apples with Oranges, the claim that Lib Dems are in with a good chance because they came 2nd in 2005 and 2010 may not be so great
    In addition to the Brexit effect, I think you have to consider every voter who was broadly content with the government in the period 2010-2015 as up for grabs for the Lib Dems. They suffered in the short term but will gain a long-term credibility boost from having been in government during that time.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

PlatoSaid said:

SeanT said:

I can quite understand why Labour MPs with strong marketable skills/earning power over £65k are jumping ship - they've no prospects of ministerial office for 8yrs at least.
    Labour have already lost in 2020.
    JohnO made me think.

Let's say Balls comes back in (via a by-election), Corbyn is ousted and then Balls becomes Labour leader. He swiftly goes a bit old-Labour, ditches most of the identity politics, goes patriotic, pro-defence, pro-immigration control, but more economic protection and public services reforms that strongly appeal to the white working classes.

Then let's say May totally f*cks up, is totally outperformed by Balls politically, sours the milk with Trump, alienates everyone in the EU, and screws up Brexit, satisfying nobody, leading to a recession, and a real collapse in the currency.

It's not inconceivable the Tories then fail to get boundary change through, drop 15 seats to the LDs, and drop 40-50 seats to Balls, in which case we are in hung-parliament territory. And Nicola Sturgeon might have more tact in playing that card next time.

So very unlikely, but not impossible to have a Labour PM post GE2020.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

Patrick said:

Juncker has been a disaster for the EU and it's a measure of his arrogance that he's still in office after losing one of the biggest members and contributors.
  • Options

isam said:

isam said:

In addition to the Brexit effect, I think you have to consider every voter who was broadly content with the government in the period 2010-2015 as up for grabs for the Lib Dems. They suffered in the short term but will gain a long-term credibility boost from having been in government during that time.
    I think if they were broadly happy w the govt in that period, they wouldn't have voted so overwhelmingly for Brexit
  • Options
    Dromedary said:

Being the director of the V&A (my least favourite of London's great museums) doubtless involves about 100 times more work than being master of a college at Oxford or Cambridge.
    felix said:

There are always plenty ofwell-paid sinecures for the well-heeled urban luvvies.

Would you call Tristram Hunt "urban"? I imagine his daddy, Baron Julian - another Trinity man - has a country house somewhere even if he's a mere life peer. Tristram's grandfather was Roland Hunt CMG, whose father-in-law was a CBE, whose own father-in-law was Sir Edward Bagnall Poulton who had an awfully bushy moustache. Hardly townies, although admittedly Tristram might do embarrassingly much of his hobnobbing in Islington rather than on the grouse moor.
    The upper classes always have a town house in the city alongside the country seat. If not he's not remotely aristocratic!
  • Options

DavidL said:

PlatoSaid said:

SeanT said:

JohnO made me think.

Let's say Balls comes back in (via a by-election), Corbyn is ousted and then Balls becomes Labour leader. He swiftly goes a bit old-Labour, ditches most of the identity politics, goes patriotic, pro-defence, pro-immigration control, but more economic protection and public services reforms that strongly appeal to the white working classes.
    Coming to a working men's club near you:

• Options
    Sean_F said:

MrsB said:

Of the 48% though, quite a lot are Conservatives who are pretty relaxed about leaving the EU (eg people like May and Hammond) , and many of the others are Labour, SNP, Green, or Plaid Cymru loyalists. The actual pool of potential Lib Dem votes is much less, although certainly bigger than the 8% that voted for the party in 2015.

More pertinently, people vote differently in different types of election, especially in mid-term. The Lib Dems' poll ratings will be the best guide to the party's vote share in Parliamentary elections.
    Notwithstanding opinion polls, I think that were there a 2nd referendum now (and HMG would clearly be on the "Leave" side) that it'd be carried by at least 58-59% to Leave because Armageddon hasn't materialised, and, as HMG is now showing the way, many of the loyalist Tories would fall in behind that.

Which is why Remainers should be careful what they wish for.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,991
    Ooo, yet another by election. We are spoilt!
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,121

malcolmg said:

Breaking news: Residents of Jaywick worried that their homes will not be washed away.

LOL
    Jaywick is one of the most deprived parts of the country, and the evacuees will have had to abandon most of whatever little they do own (which, in many cases, will be uninsured) to the mercy of a potentially lethal storm surge, as they flee for their lives.

Apart from that, the situation is absolutely fucking hilarious.
    I doubt any will be insured , they sure looked like a poor lot on the TV series , living chaotic lives in absolute dumps. However to counter that , not many were trying to help themselves and they were champions at drinking , smoking , drugs , court appearances and making the outside of the places they lived look like bomb sites. So whilst I can appreciate their situation they do not seem to be very interested in doing anything about it.
  • Options

DavidL said:

PlatoSaid said:

SeanT said:

JohnO made me think.

Coming to a working men's club near you:

And many far worse images besides!!

But, the WWC have moved on from the 1970s, now, and Balls would get a hearing.
  • Options

Why? The worst that can happen would be an endorsement of the direction taken by the government and if that's what will happen, it would be unifying to get a stronger mandate for it.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

felix said:

felix said:

MrsB said:

With you.

I'm sure there is a sizeable number of people who want to turn back the clock. The LDs were always a party of the unachievable ideal. It will take them a long time to recover from actually having been in government.
    I voted remain. Like many others I still vote Conservative and want the best deal going but I accept the democratic decision. Funny that the LDs have a problem with that - maybe they;re not so keen on the democracy gig after all.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    rkrkrk said:

Others have asked for advice on here and found it helpful so i am trying the same.

I'm thinking if buying a flat for the first time jointly with a family member.
    I earn in $ which I think complicates things. What advice or experience do people have with mortgage brokers?

$ earnings will be complicated. Are they UK sourced? Either way you should probably go to a broker because it's a joint mortgage as well. John Charcol are the best, albeit not cheap.
  • Options
    EssexitEssexit Posts: 1,956
    Stoke-on-Trent Central had the lowest turnout (49.9%) of any constituency in 2015. Between that and the strong Leave vote, could there be room for Ukip to win off the back of occasional voters?
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,002
    felix said:

Dromedary said:

felix said:

The upper classes always have a town house in the city alongside the country seat. If not he's not remotely aristocratic!
    Perhaps Tristram finds country society confined and unvarying for his taste.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

Patrick said:

Juncker has been a disaster for the EU and it's a measure of his arrogance that he's still in office after losing one of the biggest members and contributors.
    His manifesto for 'election' said he'd solve the British problem in the EU.

He failed abysmally, so why the f*ck is he still there?
  • Options

DavidL said:

PlatoSaid said:

SeanT said:

JohnO made me think.

Then let's say May totally f*cks up, is totally outperformed by Balls politically, sours the milk with Trump, alienates everyone in the EU, and screws up Brexit, satisfying nobody, leading to a recession, and a real collapse in the currency.

It's not inconceivable the Tories then fail to get boundary change through, drop 15 seats to the LDs, and drop 40-50 seats to Balls, in which case we are in hung-parliament territory. And Nicola Sturgeon might have more tact in playing that card next time.

Interesting speculation.

One could feel that Balls is rather more Trump's sort of politician that May is as well, Balls is very pro-American, has had experience there both professionally and academically, and is something of a brash showman himself.

Presumably the Guardian reading classes would leave for the Lib Dems en-masse if this was the new Labour party line, but they might choke a bit on Farron's social conservatism.

Also even if May screws the pooch on BrExit we will be out in some shape of form by 2020, so the question is will the public see Balls and his new platform as the answer to the new world post-EU... and in this case one assumes the Tories will have hung May out to dry somewhen in 2019 if not before and someone else will already be in the saddle by election time.
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024
    If ukip don't win this they should pack up as a party.
  • Options
    All those great employment figures, all that non impact of immigration in low paid jobs...

https://twitter.com/bbcbreakfast/status/819801675116388354
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

Patrick said:

Arguably, the British problem in the EU has been solved, along with the EU problem in Britain.
  • Options
    DanSmithDanSmith Posts: 1,215
    It's not hard to see Labour's vote share in Stoke going sub 30%, and it's equally as easy to see the LibDems reaching 30%. It's going to be close.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

isam said:

I'd be very surprised if it isn't a Labour win, simply because it's so hard for the Opposition to lose a seat in mid-term.

Longer term, I think that Labour are in a lot of trouble in Stoke.
    Oppositions losing seats are more common than governments winning them, but still rare.
  • Options
    Bloody Fake News....

Alec Muffett, an experienced security researcher who spoke to Gizmodo, the Guardian’s story is “major league fuckwittage.”

http://gizmodo.com/theres-no-security-backdoor-in-whatsapp-despite-report-1791158247
  • Options

AndyJS said:

Sean_F said:

TOPPING said:

Tristram Hunt: against elitism and grammar schools. So becomes director of the V&A? Nice one

Charging for entry would have saved any number of small museums up and down the country which closed or merged after seeing funding cut.
    I'd prefer to be charged rather than be told it's free and then be harassed for donations the whole time which usually spoils the experience of visiting wherever it is.
    Totally agree.

Also, free museums are rammed full of people (in London at least) who don't appreciate or value what they're seeing, partly because it's free.

My foundation puts on a national exhibition each year. (This year it is Surrealism with some lovely Salvador Dali pieces).

We absolutely debate charging everytime. So far we've decided not to (because our raison d'etre is to promote regional museums so we are driven by footfall to some extent). But it probably costs the foundation a couple of hundred thousand a year - we chose to spend the money in that day because we think it is beneficial.

But it's ludicrous to have a policy insisting on free entry (or, technically, making eligibility for public support dependent on not charging). It might be right for some museums and wrong for others - this shouldn't be a decision for central government. Changing that was one of Ed Vaisey's few intelligent thoughts - but Cameron threw him under a bus because of some luvvie whinging
  • Options

DavidL said:

PlatoSaid said:

SeanT said:

JohnO made me think.

Presumably the Guardian reading classes would leave for the Lib Dems en-masse if this was the new Labour party line, but they might choke a bit on Farron's social conservatism.

Also even if May screws the pooch on BrExit we will be out in some shape of form by 2020, so the question is will the public see Balls and his new platform as the answer to the new world post-EU... and in this case one assumes the Tories will have hung May out to dry somewhen in 2019 if not before and someone else will already be in the saddle by election time.
    Yes, in that scenario, May might be dumped, but the damage would likely carry over, and who's to say the replacement will be anymore popular over what would probably be a divided party that had lost economic credibility with the voters?

The Guardian reading classes would vote tactically to get rid of The Tories. They'd probably like a Labour/SNP/LD coalition Government as they'd hope the LDs/SNP would force Balls to socially liberalise.

We'd probably get PR as a result and constitutional reform, which we probably need anyway, and it might be attractive to some voters to use the new Brexit powers for a bit more economic statism and subsidy.

In fact, there's an argument to say that - used well - the new Brexit powers could be an electoral saviour for Labour. For its return to power at least.
  • Options
    nunu said:

UKIP are going to be at a low ebb at the moment, most people who voted for them before are waiting to see how much of BrExit is meant by BrExit.

If May is true to her word and the UK leaves the Single Market, ditches the CJEU and we end up pay rather little to the EU, and nothing in the medium term, then UKIP is dead in the water.

If it turns out to be a load of smoke and mirrors and bullshit, and May tries to sell the country some sort of associate membership which is EU or EEA in all but name, and critically offers people nothing of freedom of movement, or the ECJ, then the kippers will be well over 20% by the next election.
  • Options

Why? The worst that can happen would be an endorsement of the direction taken by the government and if that's what will happen, it would be unifying to get a stronger mandate for it.
    Indeed. But if you're punting for the vote for a reversal, I wouldn't get your hopes up.
  • Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905
    Look out, here comes the Progressive Alliance!

https://twitter.com/NCPoliticsUK/status/819942771163275264
  • Options
    edited January 2017
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

Patrick said:

To be fair he has solved the British problem with the EU.
    Although, I guess not in a way he envisaged.

• Options
    dr_spyn said:
    "The Green Party will contest the Copeland by-election on an anti-nuclear and anti-poverty campaign."

Lead balloon.
  • Options
    Essexit said:

rcs1000 said:

Patrick said:

Arguably, the British problem in the EU has been solved, along with the EU problem in Britain.
    We solved it ourselves, because he didn't.

But he was 'elected' on a platform to reform our membership to keep us in, and he did a truly f*cking shit job.

He should have had the decency to resign. The fact he hasn't - and that his resignation hasn't even been demanded - is very telling about the sort of organisation the EU is.
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053

MikeK said:

His (Hunt's) Stoke-on-Trent Central seat is set to be abolished under boundary changes.
    So say the BBC.

So will the by election be fought on new boundaries? No. It seems silly and a waste of taxpayers money that the by-election be staged at all.

There are over three years to the next scheduled parliamentary elections. Are you seriously suggesting the area shouldn't have an MP for 3+ years ?
    Yep! They would be better off. ;)
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

AndyJS said:

Sean_F said:

TOPPING said:

Totally agree.

I would have no problem charging tourists and allow residents to get in free. How that would work administratively, god knows.
    Add £1-2 per night to price of a central London hotel room, hypothocated to London museums. Redistribute the grant in a us to smaller museums nationwide.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,442

Yes, that progressive thingy lasted a long time didn't it.
  • Options
    Read and lol: http://juncker.epp.eu/my-priorities

"A fifth and last priority for me as Commission President will be to give an answer to the British question. No reasonable politician can ignore the fact that, during the next five years, we will have to find solutions for the political concerns of the United Kingdom. We have to do this if we want to keep the UK within the European Union – which I would like to do as Commission President. As Commission President, I will work for a fair deal with Britain. A deal that accepts the specificities of the UK in the EU, while allowing the Eurozone to integrate further. The UK will need to understand that in the Eurozone, we need more Europe, not less. On the other hand, the other EU countries will have to accept that the UK will never participate in the euro, even if we may regret this. We have to accept that the UK will not become a member of the Schengen area. And I am also ready to accept that the UK will stay outside new EU institutions such as the European Public Prosecutor’s Office, meant to improve the fight against fraud in the EU, but clearly rejected by the House of Commons and the House of Lords. We have to respect such clear positions of the British Parliament, based on the British “opt out” Protocol. David Cameron has recently written down a number of further key demands in an article published in the Daily Telegraph. As Commission President, I will be ready to talk to him about these demands in a fair and reasonable manner. My red line in such talks would be the integrity of the single market and its four freedoms; and the possibility to have more Europe within the Eurozone to strengthen the single currency shared so far by 18 and soon by 19 Member States. But I have the impression that this is as important for Britain as it will be for the next President of the Commission. "
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,741

When even the LibDem candidate is in favour of nuclear power, someone needs to give voters a choice.

Contrast with Richmond where there was no pro-LHR expansion candidate.
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,728
    MikeK said:

MikeK said:

So say the BBC.

Yep! They would be better off. ;)
    Daft
  • Options

Yes, that progressive thingy lasted a long time didn't it.
    Parties standing aside on the basis that 'X believes in the same as we do' generally do so through self-deception, misunderstanding why the two parties exist in the first place.
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,728

nunu said:

UKIP are going to be at a low ebb at the moment, most people who voted for them before are waiting to see how much of BrExit is meant by BrExit.

If May is true to her word and the UK leaves the Single Market, ditches the CJEU and we end up pay rather little to the EU, and nothing in the medium term, then UKIP is dead in the water.

If it turns out to be a load of smoke and mirrors and bullshit, and May tries to sell the country some sort of associate membership which is EU or EEA in all but name, and critically offers people nothing of freedom of movement, or the ECJ, then the kippers will be well over 20% by the next election.
    Another 100+ seats?
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    edited January 2017
    Consider this: Tristram Hunt is fully 25 years younger than Jeremy Corbyn. Jamie Reed, 24 years younger. Men in the prime of life, their early/mid 40s, making way for 67 year old Corbyn.
  • Options
    JonathanDJonathanD Posts: 2,400

Bloody Fake News....

Alec Muffett, an experienced security researcher who spoke to Gizmodo, the Guardian’s story is “major league fuckwittage.”

http://gizmodo.com/theres-no-security-backdoor-in-whatsapp-despite-report-1791158247

The full Guardian article characterises the issue well although there is semantic debate as to whether this flaw is a 'backdoor' or simply a user friendly feature that makes the messaging system slightly more vulnerable.

• Options
    As a Lib Dem supporter, member and candidate in the county council elections this year even I can't see them winning here. But if they can beat UKIP and the Tories then that will maintain the momentum. It's far more important for UKIP. I've said for a long time that they are dead in the water...the LDs have been in this situation before and have recovered but that's because of their constituency level support and history rooted in their communities. UKIP don't have that..they have no organisation, no history nor do they have the membership to deliver a surprise.
  • Options
    Also, under his priorities:

> Foreign Policy (1) making the High Representative act like a true European Minister of Foreign Affairs
    > Defence (2) permanent structured cooperation in defence matters
    > Immigration: common asylum and legal migration and an EU wide "blue card" work permit for migration from outside the EU. Implementation held up by national "red tape"
    > EMU: strengthen the external projection of our monetary union

There is no question that the EU was (and very probably still is) heading towards full political federal union, and we are better off out.
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584
    Charles said:

TOPPING said:

AndyJS said:

Sean_F said:

TOPPING said:

Totally agree.

Add £1-2 per night to price of a central London hotel room, hypothocated to London museums. Redistribute the grant in a us to smaller museums nationwide.

Visiting museums is not the only reason to visit London.

Nor do only foreigners use London hotel rooms.

• Options
    Has Martin McGuinness played a masterstroke for Remainers here?

https://twitter.com/SiobhanFenton/status/819947194648248320
  • Options
    Which month was it that Corbyn secured the nominations for his initial leadership bid? Just wondering about checking the threads on that date, seeing what we thought at the time.
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981

Charles said:

TOPPING said:

AndyJS said:

Sean_F said:

TOPPING said:

Totally agree.

Visiting museums is not the only reason to visit London.

Nor do only foreigners use London hotel rooms.

In France you don't pay the tax if you can produce a letter or somjething to show you are travelli8ng on business.
  • Options

DavidL said:

PlatoSaid said:

SeanT said:

JohnO made me think.

Agree

Not to talk of shot foxes, but both Lab and Cons are anti-austerity.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,442
    Ed Balls is currently 38 on BF for next Labour leader. As I have him at 60 I wont be putting more in, but if he did run for Stoke, surely these odds will come down?
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,991

twitter.com/SiobhanFenton/status/819947194648248320

More moaning remainers seeking to delay A50?
  • Options

Ed Balls is currently 38 on BF for next Labour leader. As I have him at 60 I wont be putting more in, but if he did run for Stoke, surely these odds will come down?

Would be single figures, probably favourite
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584

twitter.com/SiobhanFenton/status/819947194648248320

Depends if she needs approval from NI/Scotland/Wales for A50.

If she doesn't, then it makes no difference.

If she does, civil war begins....

• Options

Also, under his priorities:

> Foreign Policy (1) making the High Representative act like a true European Minister of Foreign Affairs
    > Defence (2) permanent structured cooperation in defence matters
    > Immigration: common asylum and legal migration and an EU wide "blue card" work permit for migration from outside the EU. Implementation held up by national "red tape"
    > EMU: strengthen the external projection of our monetary union

There is no question that the EU was (and very probably still is) heading towards full political federal union, and we are better off out.

Those first four priorities strongly contradict the fifth.
  • Options

Which month was it that Corbyn secured the nominations for his initial leadership bid? Just wondering about checking the threads on that date, seeing what we thought at the time.

15th of June 2015, I remember it well.
  • Options

It's complete tosh. Stormont has no role in triggering Article 50, which is a reserved matter. Therefore, there's no substance to the challenge. N Ireland has MPs to represent its views on issues like this.
  • Options
    Cheers, Mr. Eagles. I distinctly recall missing the excellent tips, but am unsure of much else from that time.

Mr. Hopkins, the suggestion devolved administrations have a veto over foreign policy would be rancid judicial meddling in politics.
  • Options

I did tip him at 100/1 just before Strictly started.

If the next Labour leadership contest is solely between Ed Balls, Richard Burgon, and Diane Abbott I will be most delighted.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453

It's complete tosh. Stormont has no role in triggering Article 50, which is a reserved matter. Therefore, there's no substance to the challenge. N Ireland has MPs to represent its views on issues like this.

Didn't you say that about the first court case?
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    Mr. Eagles, reading the thread now. Guess which poster said this:
    "Mr. Eagles, is it asking for a list of reasons for Hannibal being the clear superior to the Queen of Bithynia?"

http://www2.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2015/06/15/it-is-jez-we-can-as-corbyn-makes-it-on-to-the-labour-leadership-ballot/

Edited extra bit: my initial thought wasn't quite cunning enough - "A few are getting a shade giddy over Corbyn."
  • Options

I think the other aspect to consider is the Good Friday Agreement and withdrawal from the ECHR would breach that.

I do know a Brexit supporting barrister who is really worried by that aspect.

Would Mrs May really want to be spoken in the same breath as the Real IRA
  • Options
    Mr. Eagles (again), I don't quite recall the Real IRA winning a majority of the vote in a UK-wide referendum.
  • Options

Mr. Eagles, reading the thread now. Guess which poster said this:
    "Mr. Eagles, is it asking for a list of reasons for Hannibal being the clear superior to the Queen of Bithynia?"

http://www2.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2015/06/15/it-is-jez-we-can-as-corbyn-makes-it-on-to-the-labour-leadership-ballot/

Edited extra bit: my initial thought wasn't quite cunning enough - "A few are getting a shade giddy over Corbyn."

Could have been worse a few days later you could have written a thread header tipping Jeremy Corbyn finish last in the Labour leadership contest.

Fortunately I did make decent money on the Labour leadership contest thanks to tipping Liz Kendall at 50/1 months prior, laying Burnham, and reading the runes about the YouGov poll before it was published.
  • Options
    isam said:

Would be single figures, probably favourite
    Managed to get a fiver on at 300/1 in June so would be cheering him too.

Good for the Labour Party as well
This discussion has been closed.