Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Experto credite, you don’t need a weatherman to know which way

124»

Comments

• Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,985

Watching CNN now. Forgot that Rick Santorum was even a thing.

We've been trying to forget.
  • Options
    MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034

Trump uses a very limited vocabulary.

Things are either great, good or horrible, terrible.

But he says he is very clever, because he knows lots of words...he just appears unwilling to use them.
    Trump talks the language of raw emotion of a black and white world. He does not need a lot of words. By all accounts, whatever his linguistic skills, his communication has been as effective as it has needed to be up to this point.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,927
    MTimT said:

LOL The Beeb think John McCain is a Democratic Senator:

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-38587505

Does no-one employ sub-editors any more, or do they only care about being first rather than being right?
  • Options
    RobD said:

We've been trying to forget.
    That's something I can definitely agree with you on!
  • Options
    'A first daughter.' FGS. This family have literally invented that as a thing.
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976

But he says he is very clever, because he knows lots of words...he just appears unwilling to use them.
    Or, he just prefers speaking plain old English that he knows most of the US understands and appreciates. After all, predistribution & "post-neoclassical endogenous growth theory didn’t help Labour when push came to shove...
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,137
    MTimT said:

There's another beauty...
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,997
    Ms. Apocalypse, didn't Kennedy have a similar thing? Sure I read somewhere one of the 60s presidents had their daughter in a not-quite-official role.

Mr. Rex, indeed :)
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    So how much was all this free advertising for BuzzFeed worth?
  • Options

Should make the "buzzword bingo" a piece of...no, I won't.....
  • Options
    TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362

MTimT said:

There's another beauty...
    Lol
  • Options

No, they haven't.
  • Options

Floater said:

When is the next episode of this new US comedy? It was bloody brilliant.

I am trying to write appraisals but just sat staring at tv.

Going to be a hell of a ride
    The likes of Yes Minister and The Thick of It now looks rubbish in comparison.
    You can't write this stuff. It makes King Ralph look like a documentary....
  • Options

Ms. Apocalypse, didn't Kennedy have a similar thing? Sure I read somewhere one of the 60s presidents had their daughter in a not-quite-official role.

I haven't heard of that. I've never heard of a 'first-daughter' until now.

The only US President who I think may have done it in the 60s is LBJ.
  • Options

It even has its own tag on Huffington post:

www.huffingtonpost.com/news/first-daughters/
  • Options

There's got to be a point where bad publicity is actually bad.
  • Options
    "First Daughters" does make them sound like a sacrificial offering to the Gods for a good harvest.

Maybe I shouldn't give him ideas....
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,927

Think yourself lucky that you're too young to remember his internet spat with a gay rights campaigner back in 2003, back when 'social media' didn't exist and people were trying to outrank each other in search engines.
  • Options
    The_ApocalypseThe_Apocalypse Posts: 7,830
    edited January 2017
    RobD said:

That link mentions First-daughters as in the daughter of the President. Not first-daughter as in has a role comparable to the first-lady. Sasha and Malia Obama are in that tag, they were not involved as political advisors to Barack Obama, obviously.
  • Options

Teddy Roosevelt's daughter, Alice, accompanied Taft on his major trip to Japan and was something of a super emissary for the US. They visited Japan, Hawaii, China, the Philippines, and Korea in 1905.
  • Options

RobD said:

That link mentions First-daughters as in the daughter of the President. Not first-daughter as in has a role comparable to the first-lady. Sasha and Malia Obama are in that tag, they were not involved as political advisors to Barack Obama, obviously.
    Once I see an office for the first daughter I'll concede the point.
  • Options
    RobD said:

No, they haven't.

Indeed, it is at least as old as Teddy walk softly with a big stick.
  • Options
    MTimT said:

Teddy Roosevelt's daughter, Alice, accompanied Taft on his major trip to Japan and was something of a super emissary for the US. They visited Japan, Hawaii, China, the Philippines, and Korea in 1905.
    Just googled her. She liked JFK and voted for LBJ....who would have thought it!
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    Scott_P said:

twitter.com/seanjonesqc/status/819242970243334144

I'm not sure what the big deal is? It's basically the same as what the US does for H1B, which is $6,325 if you have more than 25 employees ($5,575 for those with fewer).

Edit: for companies with a small number of foreign workers the figure is $2,325 for large companies, $1,575 for smaller ones. Still more than the UK proposal.

Edit2: Oh, it's per year! OK, that is a lot different, the figures are above are every three years.
  • Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503
    Scott_P said:
    Mrs May says they aren't. Though it will apply to non-EU employees.
  • Options
    The_ApocalypseThe_Apocalypse Posts: 7,830
    edited January 2017
    RobD said:

RobD said:

Once I see an office for the first daughter I'll concede the point.
    The way Trump's going I wouldn't be surprised if it did happen [an official 'first-daughter office]. He'd probably say he's doing it to 'make America great again.'
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    Well he's not far wrong.
    The Editor of Buzzfeed admitted that their whole article on Trump was a fable from start to finish.
    The BBC keeps up an anti Trump line every day, and repeats every wild statement as though fact.
    And CNN cannot speak a true word.
  • Options
    TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362
    edited January 2017
    Scott_P said:
    Get up to date scott,the government have already dismissed this.
  • Options
    mattmatt Posts: 3,789

Trump adamant that anyone who puts car manufacturing into Mexico will see very large taxes for selling into the US. BMW intend building a factory in Mexico - how much tax are they going to pay to sell into the US

Trump just refused a question from an angry journalist by saying 'You are fake news'

The World order is going to change big time with Trump's Presidency and it looks like the liberal left are going to have a collective breakdown

I'm from the centrist right and I think he's, to put it charitably, a bullying, egocentric, potentially corrupt loose cannon. His lack of appeal spreads far and wide.

Corrupt in not the sense of paying or taking cash but finding that people go easy on Trump corp activities in the hope of recieving favour elsewhere, so FCPA corruption. He'll claim that he has no control or knowledge of Trump corp activities but, really.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,114
    John_M said:

Is the charge still due to come in this April? It will be interesting if we see a significant effect on the amount of non-EU migration.
  • Options
    New thread...
  • Options
    rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,908
    RobD said:

There's got to be a point where bad publicity is actually bad.
    Samsung phones? American airplanes warn passengers thatdue to recall they can't have phone on r charging...
  • Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503

John_M said:

Is the charge still due to come in this April? It will be interesting if we see a significant effect on the amount of non-EU migration.
    Yes.
  • Options
    ReggieCideReggieCide Posts: 4,312
    Forecasting is valueless without associated timing. Sterling will fall 10%, Sterling will appreciate 10% will both be correct sometime. Pretending that the doom and gloom crystal ball gazers weren't actually that wrong because sometime they will be right defines their worth. It was the consumers wot did it.
  • Options
    ReggieCideReggieCide Posts: 4,312
    matt said:

Trump adamant that anyone who puts car manufacturing into Mexico will see very large taxes for selling into the US. BMW intend building a factory in Mexico - how much tax are they going to pay to sell into the US

Trump just refused a question from an angry journalist by saying 'You are fake news'

The World order is going to change big time with Trump's Presidency and it looks like the liberal left are going to have a collective breakdown

I'm from the centrist right and I think he's, to put it charitably, a bullying, egocentric, potentially corrupt loose cannon. His lack of appeal spreads far and wide.

Corrupt in not the sense of paying or taking cash but finding that people go easy on Trump corp activities in the hope of recieving favour elsewhere, so FCPA corruption. He'll claim that he has no control or knowledge of Trump corp activities but, really.
    His lack of appeal? Didn't he just win? Just saying.
This discussion has been closed.