Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Lucian Fletcher on the implications of the dramatic events in

Comments

• Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,039

Mr. Meeks, don't criticise the Chairman too much, or you'll face a 120% tax rate!

Incidentally, I hope your other half is continuing to recover well.

He's doing well. He's due to have a further operation next week, so fingers crossed for that.
    Best wishes to both of you.
    Apropos of those unwell, have I missed news of JackW? I've been a bit in and out of this site over the holiday period.

And of course, Mr M, I wish your partner well.
  • Options

This is next level incompetence from Jeremy Corbyn. If he were really adopting Trumpian tactics he would have junked his relaunch and spent the day tweeting and ranting about the NHS. Not going through fresh iterations of far left economic fantasies and muddled words on immigration with each passing hour.

Just imagine a six week long general election campaign and we get this every day.

Soon Shadsy will be offering odds on Labour polling sub 10%
    Naughty but Tory propaganda!

The point is, ladies and gentlemen, that Jezza, for lack of a better word, is good. Jezza is right, Jezza works. Jezza clarifies, cuts through, and captures the essence of the (R)evolutionary spirit. Jezza, in all of his forms; Jezza for life, for money, for love, knowledge has marked the upward surge of mankind. And Jezza, you mark my words, will not only save the Labour Party, but that other malfunctioning corporation called the UK! Thank you very much.
    huzzah!
    Comrades, this is your Leader. It is an honour to speak to you today, and I am honoured to be sailing with you on the maiden voyage of our motherland's most recent achievement. Once more, we play our dangerous game, a game of chess against our old adversary — The Conservative Party! For a hundred years, your fathers before you and your older brothers played this game and played it well. But today the game is different. We have the advantage! It reminds me of the heady days of 1945 and Clement Attlee when the world trembled at the sound of our Nationalisations. Well, they will tremble again — at the sound of our Immigration Policy. The order is: engage the Corbyn Drive!

Comrades, our own Parliamentary Labour Party don't know our full potential. They will do everything possible to test us; but they will only test their own embarrassment! We will leave our fleet behind, we will pass through the Conservative patrols, past their sonar nets, and lay off their largest constituency, and listen to their braying and tittering... while we conduct Austerity Debates. Then, and when we are finished, the only sound they will hear is our laughter, while we sail to Brighton, where the sun is warm, and so is the comradeship.

A great day, comrades. We sail into history!

• Options
    Scott_P said:
    shame the photoshop isn't better. Never mind.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Jezza is lucky the UK voted to leave tbh, he'd be in more trouble if we'd voted to remain in the EU.

Alot more.

http://hyperboleandahalf.blogspot.co.uk/2010/04/alot-is-better-than-you-at-everything.html
  • Options

Mr. Meeks, don't criticise the Chairman too much, or you'll face a 120% tax rate!

Incidentally, I hope your other half is continuing to recover well.

He's doing well. He's due to have a further operation next week, so fingers crossed for that.
    Best wishes to both of you.
    Apropos of those unwell, have I missed news of JackW? I've been a bit in and out of this site over the holiday period.

And of course, Mr M, I wish your partner well.
    Jack has, I believe, retired from PB.

I hope he does come back.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,998
    Mr. Eagles, any word on MikeK's status?
  • Options
    Tissue_PriceTissue_Price Posts: 9,039
    Can't resist the chance to share an on-topic Ulster/Brexit crossover gag:
    https://twitter.com/MarkMDub/status/818753758154911744
  • Options
    Wulfrun_PhilWulfrun_Phil Posts: 4,604

This is next level incompetence from Jeremy Corbyn. If he were really adopting Trumpian tactics he would have junked his relaunch and spent the day tweeting and ranting about the NHS. Not going through fresh iterations of far left economic fantasies and muddled words on immigration with each passing hour.

Owen Jones says as much here:
    https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/jan/10/jeremy-corbyn-nhs-labour-immigration

In the space of a day, Corbyn has done the following:
    1. Rather than postponing a relaunch, he's thrown a dead cat at himself - much as Labour does need to broaden its agenda beyond the NHS, now was not the time, just as the Government had grounded on the rocks.
    2. He's done the rounds in the morning of a major speech billed as changing direction on immigration to such effect that the headlines generated by lunchtime were along the lines of him not changing tack and not wanting to reduce immigration.
    3. He's chosen this of all times to float as well a vague policy of a salary cap initially on the sofa thus inviting his opponents to define it for him in order to ridicule it.

Whatever you stand on the political spectrum, this is indeed next level incompetence.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,971
    edited January 2017
    Floater said:
    Just watch as people who called something very wrong for 40 odd years slowly try and worm their way out of it.. without admitting they were wrong the whole time

Akin to ripping a strong plaster very slowly off a hairy leg.. so painful for them!!
  • Options

He should be free to post now, I'm disappearing off now, remind he's not allowed to discuss Islam or Muslims.

The spam trap blocked him for posting some dodgy links about them.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,389

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/jan/10/jeremy-corbyn-nhs-labour-immigration

1. Rather than postponing a relaunch, he's thrown a dead cat at himself - much as Labour does need to broaden its agenda beyond the NHS, now was not the time, just as the Government had grounded on the rocks.
    2. He's done the rounds in the morning of a major speech billed as changing direction on immigration to such effect that the headlines generated by lunchtime were along the lines of him not changing tack and not wanting to reduce immigration.
    3. He's chosen this of all times to float as well a vague policy of a salary cap initially on the sofa thus inviting his opponents to define it for him in order to ridicule it.

Whatever you stand on the political spectrum, this is indeed next level incompetence.
    You know you are dealing with a special kind of stupid when both Owen Jones and Polly sound sensible.
  • Options
    ReggieCideReggieCide Posts: 4,312

Just imagine a six week long general election campaign and we get this every day.

Soon Shadsy will be offering odds on Labour polling sub 10%
    Naughty but Tory propaganda!

The point is, ladies and gentlemen, that Jezza, for lack of a better word, is good. Jezza is right, Jezza works. Jezza clarifies, cuts through, and captures the essence of the (R)evolutionary spirit. Jezza, in all of his forms; Jezza for life, for money, for love, knowledge has marked the upward surge of mankind. And Jezza, you mark my words, will not only save the Labour Party, but that other malfunctioning corporation called the UK! Thank you very much.
    huzzah!
    Comrades, this is your Leader. It is an honour to speak to you today, and I am honoured to be sailing with you on the maiden voyage of our motherland's most recent achievement. Once more, we play our dangerous game, a game of chess against our old adversary — The Conservative Party! For a hundred years, your fathers before you and your older brothers played this game and played it well. But today the game is different. We have the advantage! It reminds me of the heady days of 1945 and Clement Attlee when the world trembled at the sound of our Nationalisations. Well, they will tremble again — at the sound of our Immigration Policy. The order is: engage the Corbyn Drive!

Comrades, our own Parliamentary Labour Party don't know our full potential. They will do everything possible to test us; but they will only test their own embarrassment! We will leave our fleet behind, we will pass through the Conservative patrols, past their sonar nets, and lay off their largest constituency, and listen to their braying and tittering... while we conduct Austerity Debates. Then, and when we are finished, the only sound they will hear is our laughter, while we sail to Brighton, where the sun is warm, and so is the comradeship.

A great day, comrades. We sail into history!

Could this be the soul of Good Queen Bess incarnate?
  • Options

He should be free to post now, I'm disappearing off now, remind he's not allowed to discuss Islam or Muslims.

Dodgy links about iSam? Crikey!
  • Options
    edited January 2017

What about @TCPoliticalBetting @Moses_ and @GeoffM ?
  • Options
    Mr. Eagles, cheers.
  • Options

It's like Saturday morning pictures

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q51Y5U5EPck

• Options
    TOPPING said:

You know you are dealing with a special kind of stupid when both Owen Jones and Polly sound sensible.
    pinch yourself quick
  • Options
    Pong said:

Thanks. Really interesting and accessible.

I don't feel like I know enough about NI politics or the post-GF electoral system. Can anyone advise on reasonably non-partisan reading materials?

My usual goto for irish politics/betting - politics.ie - is crap for analysis/indepth discussion.

Slugger O'Toole is my blog of choice. The comments can often be worth reading.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,062
    isam said:

What about @TCPoliticalBetting @Moses_ and @GeoffM ?
    Mine was broken for weeks, or maybe I was sinbinned yet again who knows.
  • Options
    MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034

David Blanchflower, Corbyn's former advisor on pay cap, 'completely idiotic idea and not a single economist would agree to it'

I think this might be the first time I have agreed with Blanchflower.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @singharj: Corbyn "misspoke" when he talked about a wage cap this morning and actually meant ratios, his spokesman tells me

Let Corbyn be Corbyn...
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,894
    edited January 2017
    Good article Lucian. You have managed to clear the fog and explain the unexplainable....

Talking of which are there any Labour loyalist posters around- Nick BJO Justin etc-who could give a logical explanation for Corbyn's behaviour today. He's sounded completely incoherent and incompetent.

He's naturally being ridiculed on here by those who don't support him but could someone explain why they're wrong?
  • Options
    Mr. T, he might have suffered some sort of accident. There have been a few cases, especially in York, of people drowning in rivers due to accidentally falling in or drunkenly trying to swim them.
  • Options
    @Tony_McNulty: Might watch Man Utd tonight. I am not wedded to it as a point of principle but, and I don't want to be misinterpreted, haven't ruled it out
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    SeanT said:

That missing airman story gets weirder. Now they may have found part of his phone. But won't link it to him? Don't get it.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-suffolk-38568194

I don't believe he was kidnapped by ISIS. There'd be some terrible video online, by now.

But how can a man just disappear?

I must say when I read that story the other day, I thought he had probably died from alcohol overdose/fell into a river pissed/fell asleep in a field and the combine harvester got him... all a bit Midsomer!

Terrorists would have been shouting about it from the hilltops wouldn't they? Its the only reason they target army/police
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

@singharj: Corbyn "misspoke" when he talked about a wage cap this morning and actually meant ratios, his spokesman tells me

Let Corbyn be Corbyn...

Did you read Dan Hodges at the weekend? He says the Labour moderates plan has to be to let Corbyn be Corbyn
  • Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693

Pong said:

I don't feel like I know enough about NI politics or the post-GF electoral system. Can anyone advise on reasonably non-partisan reading materials?

My usual goto for irish politics/betting - politics.ie - is crap for analysis/indepth discussion.

Thanks.

Hopefully there will be betting opportunities...
  • Options
    @faisalislam: Asked Corbyn why he just spent day shooting from the hip on major policies. "No, I don't do that", he said maximum pay ratios "part of plan"
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584
    SeanT said:

isam said:

SeanT said:

That missing airman story gets weirder. Now they may have found part of his phone. But won't link it to him? Don't get it.

I don't believe he was kidnapped by ISIS. There'd be some terrible video online, by now.

I must say when I read that story the other day, I thought he had probably died from alcohol overdose/fell into a river pissed/fell asleep in a field and the combine harvester got him... all a bit Midsomer!

Terrorists would have been shouting about it from the hilltops wouldn't they? Its the only reason they target army/police
    Yes, and he was very drunk. So an accident is likely. But no body, no blood, nothing in the rivers (they've been searched, endlessly). Now a bit of his phone turns up, maybe?

Abducted by Aliens.

• Options
    AnneJGPAnneJGP Posts: 2,869
    Scott_P said:

@Tony_McNulty: Might watch Man Utd tonight. I am not wedded to it as a point of principle but, and I don't want to be misinterpreted, haven't ruled it out

PB has someone else who assures us he isn't a fan .....

Good evening, everybody.
  • Options
    @faisalislam: Conservatives have actually pulled their punches in their briefing on Jeremy Corbyn's "day of chaos"...

@DPJHodges: Anyway, the thing to bear in mind is what we are witnessing today is what happens when people let Corbyn be Corbyn.
  • Options
    isam said:

SeanT said:

Have they searched the landfill site properly?
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,763

Pong said:

Slugger's good fun

I'm an occasional poster, what about you ?

on the other hand I'm still trying to get over just how ill Marty looked on TV, I doubt he's up to serving a full term in any case
  • Options
    Good evening, Miss JGP.

Mr. T, bodies can be hard to find in rivers.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,060

Mr. T, he might have suffered some sort of accident. There have been a few cases, especially in York, of people drowning in rivers due to accidentally falling in or drunkenly trying to swim them.

The questions are how he got to Barton Mills from Bury St Edmunds, and why. I can't remember if they've said the mobile signal was moving fast, slow or was just intermittent. If he travelled by car, and no-one's come forward, that makes it a little more suspicious.

The River Lark in that area isn't particularly wide or fast-flowing, at least from memory. However there are loads of drainage channels and a few lakes.

Incidentally, the following place is nearby, and might be of interest to you:
    https://www.weststow.org/west-stow
  • Options
    Malcolm Tucker opines on the let Corbyn be Corbyn strategy...

http://hipsterttoi.tumblr.com/post/43052560921
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    SeanT said:

isam said:

SeanT said:

Yes, and he was very drunk. So an accident is likely. But no body, no blood, nothing in the rivers (they've been searched, endlessly). Now a bit of his phone turns up, maybe?

By the way, did you see the David Bowie link I posted earlier? He posted on his own fan forums and his answer to a poster that was on shown on twitter was right out of your repertoire!
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,894
    edited January 2017
    isam said:

Floater said:
    Just watch as people who called something very wrong for 40 odd years slowly try and worm their way out of it.. without admitting they were wrong the whole time

Akin to ripping a strong plaster very slowly off a hairy leg.. so painful for them!!
    Even if Guido was OK -which he isn't -who are the people who post on his site? Is there a central casting for posting morons?
  • Options
    To answer some of my questions, a timelime:
    http://www.findcorrie.co.uk/
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    isam said:

SeanT said:

isam said:

SeanT said:

By the way, did you see the David Bowie link I posted earlier? He posted on his own fan forums and his answer to a poster that was on shown on twitter was right out of your repertoire!
    I saw somewhere that it was a fake, assume it was the chef one. Or did I imagine that.
  • Options

The questions are how he got to Barton Mills from Bury St Edmunds, and why. I can't remember if they've said the mobile signal was moving fast, slow or was just intermittent. If he travelled by car, and no-one's come forward, that makes it a little more suspicious.

The River Lark in that area isn't particularly wide or fast-flowing, at least from memory. However there are loads of drainage channels and a few lakes.

He was last seen, IIRC, close to a big bin store. It's not unknown for people to sleep in rubbish bins, and, again IIRC, the bins were cleared the next day. The phone wasn't far away from the place where they were taken.

West Stow is very interesting.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

isam said:

SeanT said:

isam said:

SeanT said:

I saw somewhere that it was a fake, assume it was the chef one
    This was it.. actually some are saying its fake, others are saying its real. Let the myth live! Maybe it actually was @SeanT!??

https://twitter.com/AliCatterall/status/818210398981750785
  • Options
    SeanT said:

If it wasn't an accident, my suspicion is a gay murder....
    Surely they would have seen anyone else also enter the bin area. Sounds like he ended up in a bin unfortunately , just had one too many.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    malcolmg said:

SeanT said:

Surely they would have seen anyone else also enter the bin area. Sounds like he ended up in a bin unfortunately , just had one too many.
    He was apparently taken to a village which is near a wellknown gay cruising area. @SeanT's theory can't be ruled out.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Why?

About the only strange thing I've ever seen in Bury is someone taking his two ferrets on their regular Sunday afternoon walk around the abbey ruins.
  • Options

SeanT said:

Why?

About the only strange thing I've ever seen in Bury is someone taking his two ferrets on their regular Sunday afternoon walk around the abbey ruins.
    That's not strange in Suffolk!
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195

That place is not that far from me and looks interesting.

Cheers

• Options
    @JeremyCliffe: Corbyn is the appendix of Labour politics: remnant of a herbivorous past ignored in good times, yet capable of sending the body into sepsis.
  • Options
    Floater said:

Cheers

I wouldn't recommend West Stow if it's raining, TBH.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

malcolmg said:

SeanT said:

He was apparently taken to a village which is near a wellknown gay cruising area. @SeanT's theory can't be ruled out.
    There are also rumours floating around that he was bisexual. An assignation that somehow went wrong? Grindr?
    If he'd been on Grindr the police would surely have known? If they could track where his phone was, they'd have been able to track what he'd been looking at on it, surely?
  • Options
    Floater said:

Cheers
    Despite having walked right past it on two or three occasions, I've never actually been in. One of the places I'll take the little 'un when he's a little older.

There's also this place a little further away, which a friend raves about:
    http://www.english-heritage.org.uk/visit/places/grimes-graves-prehistoric-flint-mine/
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,966

SeanT said:

malcolmg said:

SeanT said:

There are also rumours floating around that he was bisexual. An assignation that somehow went wrong? Grindr?
    If he'd been on Grindr the police would surely have known? If they could track where his phone was, they'd have been able to track what he'd been looking at on it, surely?
    Given the police incompetence in catching Stephen Port you can't rule much in or out at this point. Different force but could be the same underlying issues there.
  • Options
    @Sean__Clare: Team corbyn pleased with relaunch. Say he might not have all the answers yet (pay cap) but he's getting a hearing and making waves.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

SeanT said:

malcolmg said:

SeanT said:

Given the police incompetence in catching Stephen Port you can't rule much in or out at this point. Different force but could be the same underlying issues there.
    The Stephen Port case is a national disgrace. If we had a decent opposition, the Met would have been torn a new one for the way in which it bungled that investigation. "Institutionalised homophobia" would seem to cover it nicely. Men needlessly died as a result.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

SeanT said:

malcolmg said:

SeanT said:

I dunno. I guess.

I've just discovered an entire website dedicated to sleuthing these mysteries, with tens of thousands of comments on the Corrie case.

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?326291-UK-Corrie-McKeague-23-Bury-St-Edmunds-24-September-2016-14/page71

Their consensus seems to be either 1. he somehow fell in the lorry, then fell out later, concussed and confused, and wandered into a forest or a river and perished, or 2. the poor lad was abducted and killed, or 3. it was an assignation that went very wrong

Spooky and sad.
    Yes, wandering into a vehicle and then wandering out of it again seems plausible. Bizarre and dangerous things can be done when very drunk. I knew someone who once woke up in an unknown spare bedroom, fled the house in panic and found he was round the corner from Shepherd's Bush tube. He could only guess that he'd missed the last train and pleaded with a total stranger to put him up for the night. A bit scary really.
  • Options
    mattmatt Posts: 3,789
    I've just flicked on the BBC News. Despite all the hilarity here, Corbyn hasn't been mentioned so far -no I'm wrong it's third - one wonders if his inconsistency will really cut through.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,763
    Germany is really getting hooked on the idea of reducing foreign aid for countries that wont take asylum seekers back

http://www.faz.net/aktuell/wirtschaft/wirtschaftspolitik/ruecknahme-von-asylbewerbern-die-entwicklungshilfe-muss-druckmittel-werden-14612894.html.
  • Options
    Mr. Meeks, indeed. It's effectively the same thing in this case, but it could also be viewed as misandry. Female victims may well have garnered more of a police response.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

@Sean__Clare: Team corbyn pleased with relaunch. Say he might not have all the answers yet (pay cap) but he's getting a hearing and making waves.

well, that's one way of looking at it.
  • Options

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

malcolmg said:

SeanT said:

I dunno. I guess.

I've just discovered an entire website dedicated to sleuthing these mysteries, with tens of thousands of comments on the Corrie case.

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?326291-UK-Corrie-McKeague-23-Bury-St-Edmunds-24-September-2016-14/page71

Their consensus seems to be either 1. he somehow fell in the lorry, then fell out later, concussed and confused, and wandered into a forest or a river and perished, or 2. the poor lad was abducted and killed, or 3. it was an assignation that went very wrong

Spooky and sad.
    Yes, wandering into a vehicle and then wandering out of it again seems plausible. Bizarre and dangerous things can be done when very drunk. I knew someone who once woke up in an unknown spare bedroom, fled the house in panic and found he was round the corner from Shepherd's Bush tube. He could only guess that he'd missed the last train and pleaded with a total stranger to put him up for the night. A bit scary really.
    @MaxPB Air BnB business.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,928
    Evening. A very informative article, thanks @Lucian_Fletcher.
  • Options
    EssexitEssexit Posts: 1,956
    Managed to read Dominic Cummings's 20,000-word epic today (quiet day in the office). As others have said, essential and fantastic reading, whatever side you were on.
  • Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905

Scott_P said:

well, that's one way of looking at it.
    And here's another:

https://twitter.com/jamesrbuk/status/818880534856237056

Germany is really getting hooked on the idea of reducing foreign aid for countries that wont take asylum seekers back

http://www.faz.net/aktuell/wirtschaft/wirtschaftspolitik/ruecknahme-von-asylbewerbern-die-entwicklungshilfe-muss-druckmittel-werden-14612894.html.

Racists! Xenophobes! ;-)
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549

Posted on previous thread, but on-topic here:

"The "clock is ticking" on a Northern Ireland election following the resignation of Martin McGuinness, the Secretary of State has said."

Is he sure it is just a clock???

It is not just the other clock you might be referring to. There is another. MM's body-clock didn't look very well sprung either.

Like him or hate him, with the exception of Ian Paisley and Gerry Adams, he has been a towering controversial figure in Northern Ireland over half a century.
  • Options
    rural_voterrural_voter Posts: 2,038
    matt said:

I've just flicked on the BBC News. Despite all the hilarity here, Corbyn hasn't been mentioned so far -no I'm wrong it's third - one wonders if his inconsistency will really cut through.

Maybe consider bringing back Livingstone from retirement ... Only a year older than Trump.

Desperate times call for desperate measures.
  • Options

Floater said:

Cheers
    Despite having walked right past it on two or three occasions, I've never actually been in. One of the places I'll take the little 'un when he's a little older.

http://www.english-heritage.org.uk/visit/places/grimes-graves-prehistoric-flint-mine/
    That looks interesting too.

Been to Sutton Hoo?
  • Options
    Floater said:

Floater said:

Cheers

Been to Sutton Hoo?
    Yes; other end of the Anglo-Saxon social scale from West Stow!
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,299
    edited January 2017
    If maximum wage ratio became law surely it would just lead to a huge increase in out-sourcing.

eg a top Premier League football club would just employ its footballers.

They would then outsource literally everything else - security, cleaning, catering, sales, ticketing, finance, HR - the lot.

They might even set up a separate company (or even club) for reserve players - if necessary.
  • Options
    welshowlwelshowl Posts: 4,460
    Clive Lewis just said in C4 "we are not wedded to the free movement of capital". Hmm.
  • Options
    welshowl said:

Clive Lewis just said in C4 "we are not wedded to the free movement of capital". Hmm.

Maximum wage, limits on how much money you can take on your hols, have I woken up in the 1970s?
  • Options
    welshowl said:

So back to exchange controls - wonder what the limit will be for going on holiday - maybe a few hundred quid?
  • Options
    Floater said:

Floater said:

Cheers

Been to Sutton Hoo?
    Yes, went there yonks ago with Mrs J. Quite an impressive place, although the helmet isn't as I imagined it.

Oh, and I've walked past it on a few occasions as well. Bit of a trend developing here. :)
  • Options

welshowl said:

Maximum wage, limits on how much money you can take on your hols, have I woken up in the 1970s?
    60's
  • Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503
    welshowl said:

Probably misspoke. Or perhaps they're just going to run through the permutations on the Four Freedoms.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,291
    edited January 2017
    MikeL said:

If maximum wage ratio became law surely it would just lead to a huge increase in out-sourcing.

They would then outsource literally everything else - security, cleaning, catering, sales, ticketing, finance, HR - the lot.

They might even set up a separate company (or even club) for reserve players - if necessary.

Arsenal used to have a cunning scheme where players were technically paid very little. Instead they got shares in an overseas holding company which they would hold in their own companies.

Most of the foreign players paid basically hardly any tax.
  • Options
    welshowl said:

The question is better asked in reverse. What are they wedded to?
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,509

The Russian finance ministry has just announced that it spent over half its reserves in the month of December alone...

Mostly on honeytraps for OGH.

• Options
    MikeL said:

As others have already pointed out, this would just lead to the mainstreaming of Uber's 'employment' model.
  • Options
    edited January 2017

welshowl said:

Quite. If they get anywhere near power get anything out of the country not bolted down or at least converted into foreign assets. It'll be Venezuela with cold weather.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,116
    matt said:

welshowl said:

The question is better asked in reverse. What are they wedded to?
    Free movement of bads?
  • Options

The Russian finance ministry has just announced that it spent over half its reserves in the month of December alone...

Mostly on honeytraps for OGH.

Mikhail Smithsonovski
  • Options
    John_M said:

welshowl said:

Probably misspoke. Or perhaps they're just going to run through the permutations on the Four Freedoms.
    John_M said:

welshowl said:

More a revelation of inner thoughts, methinks. He was juxtaposing it with FOM but not in the context of the "four freedoms".
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    John_M said:

welshowl said:

But the thing is - unless they did do something like exchange controls then everything else they want to do will just be got round.

eg with a maximum wage everyone will just be paid offshore etc.

But putting to one side how crazy it is, would it be possible in the world of the internet etc to actually impose exchange controls? I guess you would have to do something like making it a criminal offence to have a foreign bank account?
  • Options
    MikeL said:

John_M said:

welshowl said:

But the thing is - unless they did do something like exchange controls then everything else they want to do will just be got round.

But putting to one side how crazy it is, would it be possible in the world of the internet etc to actually impose exchange controls? I guess you would have to do something like making it a criminal offence to have a foreign bank account?
    I disagree. It's all possible. It's just that one ends up looking not a million miles away from the DDR.
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    matt said:

MikeL said:

John_M said:

welshowl said:

I disagree. It's all possible. It's just that one ends up looking not a million miles away from the DDR.
    That's what I meant - wouldn't the DDR have had exactly that type of law - ie that you couldn't own a foreign bank account?

As well as a wall to stop anyone leaving, etc.
  • Options
    MikeL said:

matt said:

MikeL said:

John_M said:

welshowl said:

That's what I meant - wouldn't the DDR have had exactly that type of law - ie that you couldn't own a foreign bank account?

Great for motorbike tours though apparently.
  • Options

MikeL said:

Arsenal used to have a cunning scheme where players were technically paid very little. Instead they got shares in an overseas holding company which they would hold in their own companies.

I hope the scheme was registered with HMRC, else its evasion. As is the substance is avoidance.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,928
    edited January 2017
    So we're now talking about exchange controls, I guess Labour's relaunch day went well then...?
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,116
    welshowl said:

MikeL said:

matt said:

MikeL said:

John_M said:

welshowl said:

Talking of which, if you want the closest thing to that experience in modern Europe, Belarus is introducing visa free travel for short visits.
  • Options

welshowl said:

MikeL said:

matt said:

MikeL said:

John_M said:

welshowl said:

Talking of which, if you want the closest thing to that experience in modern Europe, Belarus is introducing visa free travel for short visits.
    I'll bear it in mind!
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549
    Sandpit said:

So we're now talking about exchange controls, I guess Labour's relaunch day went well then...?

It could hardly have gone better. Oh sorry, you meant for the Labour Party? Total f*ckup for them.
  • Options
    Heart of stone.....

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/01/10/day-jeremy-corbyn-slapped-jeremy-corbyn/

"Ever since he became their leader, Labour MPs have been at war with Jeremy Corbyn. In the past 24 hours, however, the conflict has taken an unexpected twist.

Now, it seems, Jeremy Corbyn is at war with himself."
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

MikeL said:

I hope the scheme was registered with HMRC, else its evasion. As is the substance is avoidance.
    It was revealed as part of Ray Parlour divorce settlement. I presume they don't operate the scheme any more.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/1467295/Parlour-divorce-exposes-Arsenal-offshore-tax-dodge.html
  • Options
    SandraMSandraM Posts: 206
    Corbyn's limit on wages was featured on "The One Show." A Vox Pop pointed out the illogicialities; how do you stop a successful person earning more? You are robbing the rich to pay more to whom; the shareholders?

I know twitter and Facebook are their own micro-worlds but I've noticed that many enthusiastic Corbynistas, who were treating him as the Messiah have now gone luke-warm on him.

I'm sensing a sea-change but as I was wrong on Brexit and Trump, I'm reluctant to advise others where to put their money.
  • Options
    Watching "Killing Reagan" from Nat Geo.... really good tv
  • Options
    That expensive education was wasted on Seamus wasn't, as was the privileged place at a top Grammar school taken by Jezza.
  • Options
    MikeL said:

John_M said:

welshowl said:

I have some sympathy with Corbyn's position - per Cummings epic blog post yesterday. Far too few people were jailed or otherwise punished for crashing the banking system. Those responsible are, by and large, rich and free. Shareholders seem to be supine as executive reward correlates poorly with actual performance. A lot of people are very, very angry about this, and his positioning will play well with them.

I just don't know what practical measures a Corbyn administration could actually take to address the issue of income inequality, that wouldn't, as you point out, have extremely undesirable side effects.
  • Options
    glw said:

Sandpit said:

It could hardly have gone better. Oh sorry, you meant for the Labour Party? Total f*ckup for them.
    Now tea all over my keyboard :-)
This discussion has been closed.