Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The St John PB Christmas Day Crossword

2»

Comments

• Options
    PlatoSaidPlatoSaid Posts: 10,383
    I've been watching Yesterday prog on Vietnam war and it's coming across as quite Afghani in terms of cultural Eff Off attitude - this isn't a subject I'm familiar with - any views of interest.
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

I loved the Dukes of Hazzard - I do wonder how many General Lee car they smashed - dozens I suspect

EDIT - bugger it's been bothering for years where I'd seen Superman's dad in Smallville before - he's a Duke bros!

ttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VBfrJHs56cA

Apparently - it was over 300.
  • Options
    tpfkartpfkar Posts: 1,548
    Haha think 12 across is ELECTED in honour of Diane James!
  • Options
    Westwing Reports
    On This Day. 1776. In the dead of night, Washington led Continental Army troops across the Delaware in a surprise attack on Hessian forces https://t.co/yLRp0fBRdp
  • Options
    edited December 2016
    tpfkar said:

Haha think 12 across is ELECTED in honour of Diane James!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1i4EnjRKVQw
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    Happy Christmas everyone.
  • Options
    AlsoIndigoAlsoIndigo Posts: 1,852
    edited December 2016

Downer.

We only buy for kids in our (UK) family, there is something a bit odd about adults buying gifts for each other when everyone already has anything (cheap) that they want already.

Out here in the Philippines the opposite applies, I have been handing out many little envelopes with a bit of cash in, people are more appreciative with help to make ends meet or with buying an essential than they would be with receiving something they largely dont need.
  • Options
    stjohnstjohn Posts: 1,780
    edited December 2016
    tpkfar. No.

12 ac is not elected.
  • Options
    edited December 2016

Downer.

We only buy for kids in our (UK) family, there is something a bit odd about adults buying gifts for each other when everyone already has anything (cheap) that they want already.

Out here in the Philippines the opposite applies, I have been handing out many little envelopes with a bit of cash in, people are more appreciative with help to make ends meet or with buying an essential than they would be with receiving something they largely dont need.

I was brought up in a culture of books - and always gift something that's factual/coffee table glossy - if the recipient doesn't fancy it - I hope it ends up in a charity shop.

Personally, I wish someone had bought me a gift I gave to another - and suspect it missed the mark in retrospect. I'm usually pretty good as I pay a lot of attention. It's an amazingly frightening one. I went to WHSmiths to see it myself and stunned - I'd read a review and very struck.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/100-Suns-Michael-Light/dp/1400041139
  • Options
    TomsToms Posts: 2,478

Downer.

In the Big Apple, at least, that's how proper Jewish weddings go, and for similar, logical, reasons. A mate of mine said that as the guests filed by and shook hands each handed him a plain envelope with cash. The lone exception was the gift of a chinning bar from the only goy there. Bless.
  • Options
    13 left to solve.

Across. 12, 18, 20, 23, 25, 28 and 29.

Down. 2, 7, 17, 21, 22, 24
  • Options
    25ac Ron Paul

12ac Exacted
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,907
    edited December 2016
    After the year's lows of Trump and Brexit be uplifted by this autistic Irish girl and her special needs backing group singing the Leonard Cohen classic Hallelujah Note the improvised table she's standing on and the way many have spilt their lunch down their sweaters. It gets better as the song goes on. Happy Xmas St John!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cAXw83ugrYs
  • Options
    AlsoIndigoAlsoIndigo Posts: 1,852
    edited December 2016
    Toms said:

Downer.

In the Big Apple, at least, that's how proper Jewish weddings go, and for similar, logical, reasons. A mate of mine said that as the guests filed by and shook hands each handed him a plain envelope with cash. The lone exception was the gift of a chinning bar from the only goy there. Bless.
    I got married here in the Philippines, the last traditional dance before the couple retire is led off by the bride and groom, and as other people join the dance they first go to the newly weds and pin a bank note of some description into their clothing, when you get back to your room you have to spend ten minutes unpinning the money from your attire (large families mean a typical attendance can be 300+) and speculating about who thought it would be a good wheeze to pin some obscure foreign bank note!
  • Options
    Yes.

12 ac. Bill = Ac(count). Former PM = Ex Ted. Ac in ExTed = Exacted.

25 ac. Castro = Raul. On quietly = on p(piano). Raul kept on p = R(on p) aul.
  • Options
    To any Julie Andrews fans - there's no better film than Thoroughly Modern Millie - 20th Century know this and scrub out YouTube clips.

Here's a taste of her perfect voice. If you loved Mary Tyler-Moore too - it's sublime

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWBPEzNT8CE
  • Options
    Happy Xmas Roger!
  • Options
    Hope everyone enjoyed tucking into their Brussels Freedom Sprouts for lunch!

Just realised (after several years of not eating any) that I hate parsnips more :lol:
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024
    Roger said:

After the year's lows of Trump and Brexit be uplifted by this autistic Irish girl and her special needs backing group singing the Leonard Cohen classic Hallelujah Note the improvised table she's standing on and the way many have spilt their lunch down their sweaters. It gets better as the song goes on. Happy Xmas St John!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cAXw83ugrYs

I hate when people say Brexit is the same as Trump. That degrades Brexit and uplifts Trump to a station he doesn't deserve.
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    My stepson just showed me this.. its just GENIUS

http://9gag.com/tv/p/a66myE/asleep-for-343-days-2016-recap?ref=tcl
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    Greetings all. Sad news about the crash this morning wiping out the Alexandrov Ensemble, formerly known as the Red Army Chorus. It was a bizarre Christmas tradition in our family to play their "Songs from the Great Patriotic War" while opening our presents.

https://youtu.be/td03P729oGg

• Options
    edited December 2016
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024
    Alistar, don't read this.....

Sounds about right: "How Clinton lost Michigan — and blew the election" http://politi.co/2hrMnb9
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    edited December 2016
    nunu said:

Alistar, don't read this.....

Sounds about right: "How Clinton lost Michigan — and blew the election" http://politi.co/2hrMnb9

Yup, completely matches what I've read previously, a campaign staff that were playing 12 dimensional chess and ignoring everything their much vaunted data operation was telling them.

I think this means the era of big data/ micro targeting is not at and end but the jobs of the Clinton campaign staff in Dem politics is done.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,162
  • Options
    BromptonautBromptonaut Posts: 1,113
    Or more accurately - a lie.
  • Options

Hope you enjoyed your Freedom Sprouts :)
  • Options
    11 left to solve.

Across. 18, 20, 23, 28 and 29.

• Options
    stjohn said:

11 left to solve.

Across. 18, 20, 23, 28 and 29.

20 - Tasso
  • Options
    BromptonautBromptonaut Posts: 1,113

I did indeed. Or as we call them in the UK - sprouts.
  • Options
    edited December 2016
    Yes. News Agency = Tass (Russian News Agency). Nothing = O. Tass + O = Tasso. Tasso was an Italian poet.
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981
    28 millwork.

I thought you were the compiler?
  • Options
    Yes. On Liberty is a work by John Stuart Mill and millwork is building material.

Yes. I am the compiler.
  • Options

I did indeed. Or as we call them in the UK - sprouts.
    Freedom Sprouts since 23rd June :lol:
  • Options
    stjohn said:

Yes. On Liberty is a work by John Stuart Mill and millwork is building material.

Yes. I am the compiler.

Merry Christmas, Stjohn. Can't you do a "Quick" version like wot they do in the Guardian, etc.?
  • Options
    Merry Xmas. Sunil!

Maybe next year?
  • Options
    OK I am confused. you don't list 16D frinstance as unsolved, but I can't see it answered in the comments. Are people emailing the answers?
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,631
    Successful dinner, the capon went down very well. Would highly recommend it to anyone looking for poultry!
  • Options
    Ishmael_Z. My mistake. 16d is unsolved. No one is emailing the answers.
  • Options
    2d Eustace

• Options
    18 Entrance. Very clever.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,013
  • Options
    23a Entente
  • Options
    24 Nohow
  • Options
    23 entente
  • Options
    22 pelham
  • Options
    stjohn said:

Merry Xmas. Sunil!

Maybe next year?

Look forward to it, thanks!
  • Options
    21 shadows
  • Options
    16 acton bell
  • Options
    29 closes
  • Options
    7 Academe
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,005
    St Hildas putting Magdalene to the sword here
  • Options
    17 colludes or collides?
  • Options
    Blackadder Christmas Carol :)
  • Options
    AnneJGPAnneJGP Posts: 2,869
    Good evening everybody, and a happy Christmas to you.
  • Options
    edited December 2016
    2d. Yes. Brexiteers want to leave this = EU. Way = St (street) Expert = Ace. Eustace was a Lord Chancellor.

18 ac. Across the channel = En France. Time = t. Loud = F(forte).
    En (f)rance where there's t for f = Entrance. Transport = entrance.

23 ac. Top marks repeatedly = Ten Ten Ten. T(en Ten Te)n conceals Entente = Understanding.

22d. Help out = Pelh. Mate when first = m. Pelh a m = Pelham.

21d. Double definition.

16 d. MPs "act on bell" when they divide into the division lobbies and vote on the division bell. Acton Bell was the name Anne Bronte used.

29 ac. Not closes.

7d. Jack Cade was a rebel against Henry VI. ME = the state of Maine.
    A rebel state = a cade me.

17d. Not colludes or collides.

• Options
    24d. Yes.

On reflection = no. An incomplete politician = How(e). No+How = Nohow.
  • Options
    I think there's just two left.

29 across and 17 down.

• Options
    SandraMSandraM Posts: 206
    Is 29 Across Elysee?
  • Options
    SandraMSandraM Posts: 206
    17 down Coolidge?
  • Options
    edited December 2016
    Yes!

29ac. Bishops oversee bishoprics such as Ely or more generally a See. The Palace is the Palace of Elysee.

17d. Church = CE, (Church of England). One notes = 1 DG, (musical notes). John = LOO. Backing John = OOL. CE Holds together IDG after OOL = C(OOL IDG)E.
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    Christmas night into Boxing Day is about watching cricket. No trip to work for days to come though I will have to work at home over the holidays.

Plus helluva football tomorrow and during the week.
  • Options
    edited December 2016
    We're done!

Thanks to everyone who helped solved the crossword . Thanks to Mike and Robert for indulging me in allowing me to set it again and for publishing it. Thanks also to all those PBers who don't do crosswords for your patience.

I was pleased to make SeanT the majority part of a nauseant!

That's all folks!
  • Options
    Just to clarify, I do do crosswords, just the "easy" clue type :)
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,907
    Well done Stjohn. Excellent crossword. I've been following at my own pace and got about 10%!
  • Options
    stjohn said:

We're done!

Thanks to everyone who helped solved the crossword . Thanks to Mike and Robert for indulging me in allowing me to set it again and for publishing it. Thanks also to all those PBers who don't do crosswords for your patience.

That's all folks!

Not so much 'don't do' crosswords as 'can't do' crosswords. The bit I find fascinating is your explanation. :smile:
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,753
    Well we had our walk and managed to stay dry, but I still had to peel the sprouts when we got back.

A couple of glasses of rhubarb gin (must be a Yorkshire thing!) left me feeling slightly merry.

Now it is time to relax and look forward to a week off work - I always think of this week as a dress rehearsal for retirement.
  • Options

Well we had our walk and managed to stay dry, but I still had to peel the sprouts when we got back.

A couple of glasses of rhubarb gin (must be a Yorkshire thing!) left me feeling slightly merry.

Now it is time to relax and look forward to a week off work - I always think of this week as a dress rehearsal for retirement.

You remind me I haven't yet had my Christmas glass of Tio Pepe. Perhaps a little late now, I may leave it until tomorrow.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,753
    Video has emerged showing a flash in the sky over Sochi. If authentic could indicate an explosion on the Tupolev.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,015

Video has emerged showing a flash in the sky over Sochi. If authentic could indicate an explosion on the Tupolev.

And it was heading to Syria. What was Garak's line on coincidences again?
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,628
    edited December 2016
    Well, paging all those who said Trump would be good for the UK and our post Brexit future.

https://twitter.com/thetimes/status/813126095214170112
  • Options

Well, paging all those who said Trump would be good for the UK and our post Brexit future.

twitter.com/thetimes/status/813126095214170112

They'd be stupid not to try to entice businesses away.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    RobD said:

twitter.com/thetimes/status/813126095214170112

They'd be stupid not to try to entice businesses away.
    The Times seems to be trying pretty hard.
  • Options
    Coming up overnight the Cyclefree awards for 2016. Based on NO polling, focus groups or other quasi-scientific methods.
  • Options
    Y0kelY0kel Posts: 2,307
    Curiously no further flame from the crashed Russian MOD plane after the reported flash.

Leaves only two options if the eyewitness reports are correct.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,628
    edited December 2016

Coming up overnight the Cyclefree awards for 2016. Based on NO polling, focus groups or other quasi-scientific methods.

It's a very good piece. She even talks about [redacted to avoid spoiling it for PBers]
  • Options
    edited December 2016

It's a very good piece. She even talks about [redacted to avoid spoiling it for PBers]
    It's AV, isn't it? :D
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    Y0kel said:

Curiously no further flame from the crashed Russian MOD plane after the reported flash.

Leaves only two options if the eyewitness reports are correct.

SAM?
  • Options
    RobD said:

It's a very good piece. It even talks about [redacted to avoid spoiling it for PBers]
    No. Even better than AV.
  • Options

RobD said:

It's a very good piece. It even talks about [redacted to avoid spoiling it for PBers]
    No. Even better than AV.
    :o How is such a thing possible?
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,470
    edited December 2016
    Referendum 2011:

No 2 AV 68%
    Yes 2 AV 32%

:innocent:
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,097

https://twitter.com/thetimes/status/813126095214170112

Countries have interests, not friends.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,097
    TV lovers: I'm loving Shut Eye
  • Options
    stjohn said:

We're done!

That's all folks!

Thank you, enjoyed that.
  • Options
    Y0kelY0kel Posts: 2,307
    edited December 2016
    Not impossible Charles.

A SAM attack, however, particularly a man portable on that particular aircraft as a deliberate target would be pretty impressive though it isn't clear what the altitude was. I'd guess too, it would have some kind of warning device given the fact it was flying into a conflict area. You got the impression from the reports this thing just broke up mid air. To clean take it out in a second with a small SAM, i.e. have no follow up reaction such as pilot communication and no signs of descent would be pretty lucky unless it hit something very sensitive indeed.

Pilot error would be immensely unlucky too unless they are still letting drunk guys with oversized peaked caps fly these days and he was doing a loop the loop. .

The flash might suggest technical engine fault and bear in mind where all the engines are on that thing or onboard ordnance explosion.

It would be interesting to see if there was any signs of a descent. Certainly the Russians report no comms suggesting an issue.
  • Options

NEW THREAD

This discussion has been closed.