Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Theresa May now joint 2nd favourite as next party leader to go

124»

Comments

• Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,061

Mr. 43, glad to hear that.

Mr. Jessop, a short BBC video review of F1 (and Rosberg's retirement) used 'sited' instead of 'cited' (referring to reason for retirement).

*sighs*

When I make mistakes like that in writing, the note to change usually includes an instruction to correct it, then cut off my own hands.

I once spent a year working on a module called 'NCMA'. For years afterwards, whenever I wanted to type 'name' I would type 'ncma' instead.

Also when typing on my Psion 5, I would write 'Lincolnshite' rather than 'Lincolnshire'. It never happened for any other county, and caused amused comments on my website.

Easily done.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,408

Off-topic:

A while back I had a large pack of children's flash cards delivered. I just found a counting set with a card saying: 'Twenteey'.

Well, it's certainly educational.

I've seen a GCSE science text book that claimed that polar bears hunt penguins.
    They would if they could
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,988

Mr. Isam, damned short odds for a large bet.

I felt nervous putting (for PB) small sums on Maldonado and Alonso to lead lap 1 in the 2012 Spanish Grand Prix, despite them starting 1 and 2 and having odds of about 6 each [Hamilton was fastest in qualifying but was disqualified for a fuel irregularity].

Wasn't that price again until June 24th!
  • Options
    Carolus_RexCarolus_Rex Posts: 1,414
    IanB2 said:

Off-topic:

A while back I had a large pack of children's flash cards delivered. I just found a counting set with a card saying: 'Twenteey'.

They would if they could
    No, they'd never get the wrappers off.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,792

Off-topic:

Well, that *might* be true, although they have certainly never succeeded in finding any.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,989
    Nigelb said:

Off-topic:

Well, that *might* be true, although they have certainly never succeeded in finding any.
    Isn't that a testament to the hunting prowess of the polar bear?
  • Options
    RobD said:

Nigelb said:

Off-topic:

Or the idiocy of whoever put them in adjacent enclosures at the zoo.
  • Options
    Mr. Pulpstar, on Ladbrokes, No Safety Car :D

They (or punters' weight of money) significantly underestimates the effect of this.

Mr. Jessop, sometimes I get that. My main problem is homophonic confusion, though. And I've developed a slight bad habit of missing off letters from the ends of words (that said, today I noticed I had Karena lick her fingers, when I meant 'click'. Ahem).
  • Options
    Mr. Rex, if you want bad design, check Metal Gear Solid. The blast furnace is adjacent to a large cold storage room.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,130

RobD said:

Nigelb said:

Off-topic:

Or the idiocy of whoever put them in adjacent enclosures at the zoo.
    One of the zoo bears must have tipped off the wild ones about the existence of these tasty birds. All this time we've been blaming climate change for their problems and it turns out it's just a futile search for penguins.
  • Options
    If God wanted Polar bears to hunt Penguins, he’d have given them wings.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,792

[snip]

This means that it has to be the whole shebang - complete autonomous control - or nothing. That's why Google's latest effort has no steering wheel.

I don't think it is right to say it has to be the whole shebang or nothing. In fact, I can't see how the 'whole shebang' is possible. What if you're going to a wedding in the country where you have to park in a field? Or there's a flood on the road and you have to go slightly off the road to avoid it? Or the police are directing you to carry out what would otherwise be an illegal manoeuvre, such as going the wrong way down what the computer thinks is a one-way street?

Uncommon though these situations no doubt are, automating that last half a percent of edge cases is going to be extremely difficult. At the very least it will require a complete rethink of diversion signs and traffic control.

(I agree that relying on a human driver to intervene in an emergency is a non-starter, for the reasons you give).
    What if you're going to a wedding in the country where you have to park in a field? Or there's a flood on the road and you have to go slightly off the road to avoid it? Or the police are directing you to carry out what would otherwise be an illegal manoeuvre, such as going the wrong way down what the computer thinks is a one-way street?

I'm sure there'll be a app available for your smartphone.
    Jeez, Bond had one of those back when he was played by Piers Brosnan ... :-)
  • Options
    SDLP seeking to table a no-confidence motion on Arlene. Making Sinn Fein publicly support their executive's leader publicly. Getting interesting (for Stormont).
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,408

Penguins have them already.
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024

Off-topic:

and Climate change caused by humans......
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,554
    RobD said:

Nigelb said:

Off-topic:

Yes perhaps polar bears are such formidable long-range hunters that no penguin has ever survived to tell the tale, and thus without a witness the "experts" have concluded that no such hunting takes place.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Penguins have them already.
    So all the polar bears need is a long range penguin lure.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,519
    edited December 2016
    DavidL said:

FF43 said:

Mr. NorthWales, must admit the black comedy of people banging on about 'doing something' (sometimes the same people who think 'laws must be legal' and approved by the UN, giving China and Russia veto powers) is faintly ridiculous. The Sun's political editor (I think) was saying much the same on the Sky paper review last night, claiming we could have more sanctions or something and not resort to military action.

I fear he's living in fantasyland. It's military action or nothing, in terms of effectiveness. Russia's already under severe sanctions.

Not squeamish but I was surprised (unsure which channel) when a report featuring starving babies wasn't preceded by the usually overused 'scenes some viewers may find distressing' warning the other day.

I don't comment much on Syria. It's a country I know somewhat. I have friends there and it's very upsetting.

It's complicated, of course, but there are two things I hold to. There is no point intervening unless you make the situation better, which is why I also opposed the Iraq invasion. I realise that means abandoning people there to their fate. It doesn't make me feel good at all.

The other thing is that those that carry out the atrocity are responsible for it. The Syrian government is responsible for its soldiers killing civilians in cold blood. Vladimir Putin is responsible for the destruction and mass killings caused by his airforce bombings. We are not responsible. The US isn't responsible. We have done other things, but not those.
    I think that these are really important points. It is delusional to either think we are responsible for all the evils of the world or capable of stopping them despite so many of the debates in the HoC being conducted on such a premise.

Those responsible should ideally be held to account but that is all too frequently beyond our powers too. What we can and should do is express our disgust.
    'We' ie the West, created the situation in which such horrors (and the so called 'rebels' as even the dogs in the street know have always been worse than the 'regime' they have sought to 'liberate' the population from) were bound to happen. This insurgency must be defeated if there is to be any future for Syria beyond internecine tribal conflict and regional and international players fighting proxy wars. It's bitter medicine, but thank God the Russians are there to administer it. See also what we did to Libya if you disagree.
  • Options

NEW THREAD

• Options
    I think HYUFD's characterisation of TSE's politics is unfair. If Ken Clarke and Michael Heseltine can be Tories, so can TSE. I think even John Major was on the 'left' of the Conservative party as well. Certainly, though TSE is the most socially liberal Conservative I've encountered. He is fiscally conservative at most.

When people talk about consigning the Labour party to the dustbin of history, I always wonder what they think will come next after that. Do they feel that centre-right parties should be only type of political party on the ballot? Or, do they desire another centre-left party to emerge that isn't Labour?
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,131

I think HYUFD's characterisation of TSE's politics is unfair. If Ken Clarke and Michael Heseltine can be Tories, so can TSE. I think even John Major was on the 'left' of the Conservative party as well. Certainly, though TSE is the most socially liberal Conservative I've encountered. He is fiscally conservative at most.

When people talk about consigning the Labour party to the dustbin of history, I always wonder what they think will come next after that. Do they feel that centre-right parties should be only type of political party on the ballot? Or, do they desire another centre-left party to emerge that isn't Labour?

If they were joining a political party today Clarke and Heseltine would likely join the LDs not the Tories so I don't think that disproves the point. John Major supported grammar schools, unlike TSE. The best thing to happen in UK politics would be for a split, with Labour breaking up with the Blairites joining the LDs along with Cameroons like TSE, leaving the Corbynite rump on the traditional left along with perhaps the Greens and the Tories on the centre-right and UKIP the hard right
  • Options
    kle4 said:

maaarsh said:

Mr. Jessop, I'm surprised (shocked even) you're disgusted. You can convert to or from a religion, but you can't convert your race. That's all I'm saying. The unifying aspect of Islam is an idea, it's not a skin colour or ethnic grouping.

I'm sadly unsurprised that that's the view you take. Like the people who attempt to redefine Islamophobia, you try to pull a blanket over it by playing it down.

It's a crass, stupid point to make. Then again, you're fortunate that the chances are you'll never become a target of such abuse.
    The irony of accusing MD of trying to shut down debate when you're making emotional, irrational and aggressive posts against someone making a reasonable, calm and polite point is somewhat piquant.
    Unfortunately, I agree, to a point. JJ is not being aggressive, but is interpreting a reasoned stance making quite clear judging all members of a religion for that religion is wrong but that one must be able to criticise the religion itself for its ideas, in a way which warps its meaning considerably.

Interpreting others ideas as equivalent to something genuinely heinous is counter productivem since it leads to people normalising the heinous, which is the opposite of the intention I'm sure. Part and parcel of being offended on peoples' behalfs anbd making the right ot not be offended the most sacred right of all, it leads to more problems than it solves.
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

felix said:

Not much discussion of PMQs. Have the astroturfers packed up for Christmas a week early?
    *innocent face*

Just watched it on delay.

Mrs May once again bested by Jeremy Corbyn.

Shameful.
    Not really fair but then your prejudice rules everything these days. We used to get similar comments about Ed Miliband against DC week after week. Boring then and boring now.
    Then again TSE is an Orange Book LD rather than a Tory after all so his comments are not that surprising!
    No I am not.
    You are pro EU and anti grammar school, you loved Cameron and the Coalition but hate May's Tory majority government, you have far more in common with David Laws and Nick Clegg than most on the Tory benches, you are a yellow in all but name
    But many would and hav argued that Laws and Clegg are Blue in all but name, so things come full circle.
    Only under Cameron, not the present Tory leadership
  • Options
    midwinter said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

felix said:

Not much discussion of PMQs. Have the astroturfers packed up for Christmas a week early?
    *innocent face*

Just watched it on delay.

Mrs May once again bested by Jeremy Corbyn.

Shameful.
    Not really fair but then your prejudice rules everything these days. We used to get similar comments about Ed Miliband against DC week after week. Boring then and boring now.
    Then again TSE is an Orange Book LD rather than a Tory after all so his comments are not that surprising!
    No I am not.
    You are pro EU and anti grammar school, you loved Cameron and the Coalition but hate May's Tory majority government, you have far more in common with David Laws and Nick Clegg than most on the Tory benches, you are a yellow in all but name
    Hate Mrs May and a Tory majority? Bollocks.

I near climaxed when the Tories won a majority,

I had the opportunity to personally vote for Nick Clegg last year, I declined to do so, and voted for the Tory instead.

The Lib Dems wouldn't like my views on the deficit, and cutting it therein for starters.
    The Tories and LDs were in government together last year and the likes of Laws were certainly all in favour of cutting the deficit, if Leadsom had won the Tory leadership you would have been over to the yellows in five minutes but as it is it may take you a while longer to come out of the closet! Each to their own.
    For as long people like Ken Clarke and George Osborne are Tories, then my home will be the Tory Party too.
    Well the first is about to retire the second is on the backbenches, so looks like you and George then!
    What is the alternative to the Tories at the moment....May is deeply unimpressive, but as long as Corbyn is in situ it will be about keeping him out as far as most of the public are concerned. That said some of the Tory right and Ukip are extremely unattractive to many so I suspect at some pay point there will be an electoral price to pay.
    May will beat Corbyn comfortably regardless, then if Labour get an electable leader they have an open goal at the next election but one, however that is a big if
This discussion has been closed.