Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Betting on will Boris Johnson still be Foreign Secretary of th

Comments

• Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,208
    ydoethur said:

Charles said:

ydoethur said:

On the JAM’s there was a thought-provoking pice in the Guardian yesterday from Patrick Collinson (https://www.theguardian.com/money/blog/2016/dec/10/sixties-pay-people-earned-less-but-could-afford-more).
    Chimes with my own experience and that of my grandson who, with his fiancee is saving for a house.

Collinson makes the point that my grandson, and his partner pay a lot more tax, proportionately, than I did.

Intrigued to see in that article that his daughter's 'take home pay' from £25,000 gross is £1600 a month. When I was on £25,000, it was only £1500. Admittedly I had higher student loan costs, but not that much higher.

I'm wondering if she's not paying into a pension. That's the only way I can account for the difference. In which case, there's another time bomb right there.
    Higher personal allowance?
    Why would she have a higher personal allowance than me? Is there an adjustment for London?
    You said "when". Assuming you were on that before 2010, the tax profile has changed a lot since then.
  • Options
    Mr. JohnL, a small part of that is Brown's petty vindictiveness, cutting the PM's salary just before he lost the job.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,439
    edited December 2016
    tlg86 said:

ydoethur said:

Charles said:

ydoethur said:

On the JAM’s there was a thought-provoking pice in the Guardian yesterday from Patrick Collinson (https://www.theguardian.com/money/blog/2016/dec/10/sixties-pay-people-earned-less-but-could-afford-more).
    Chimes with my own experience and that of my grandson who, with his fiancee is saving for a house.

Collinson makes the point that my grandson, and his partner pay a lot more tax, proportionately, than I did.

Intrigued to see in that article that his daughter's 'take home pay' from £25,000 gross is £1600 a month. When I was on £25,000, it was only £1500. Admittedly I had higher student loan costs, but not that much higher.

I'm wondering if she's not paying into a pension. That's the only way I can account for the difference. In which case, there's another time bomb right there.
    Why would she have a higher personal allowance than me? Is there an adjustment for London?
    You said "when". Assuming you were on that before 2010, the tax profile has changed a lot since then.
    My salary only increased beyond £25,000 when I was promoted to deputy head of faculty for the first time at the end of June this year.

In 2010 I was unemployed.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

tlg86 said:

ydoethur said:

Charles said:

ydoethur said:

My salary only increased beyond £25,000 when I was promoted for the first time at the end of June this year.

I see, it's easy to assume everyone on here is high flyer. So I'd suggest your point about her not paying into a pension is probably spot on.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

rkrkrk said:

rkrkrk said:

When I moved into a flat in London with two friends - all our parents appalled when they saw the ex council small flat costing us c. 25,000/year. We were delighted to have reduced our commute and thought we had a bargain!
    When I first got married in the early 60’s we lived in a small flat over and behind a corner shop just outside Rochdale. The rent was £2 per week, inclusive, and apparently the landlord, who lived next door and ran the corner shop was happy.
    Our first house in SE Essex afew yars later cost £3000.
    I met a colleague in rural Wales whose mortgage was the same as my share of rent. About 700/month i think. Except he had a four bedroom house.
    Llandudno and Llangefni are pockets of affluence in areas of high deprivation.

Why? Because they are county towns and a high proportion of their residents are council workers. They have national pay scales and live in the cheapest parts of the country. What's barely a living wage in London is wealth beyond the dreams of avarice in Anglesey.

The moral of this story is, if you are on a national pay scale (i.e. in the public sector) - work where it's cheap to live.
    Surely most national employers have national pay scales, even in the private sector, do they not? Does Tesco pay more to stack its shelves in Birmingham than in Bury?
  • Options
    I'd rather like to be on £25,000 a year... *cough*buy12,000copiesofmybook*cough*

Bah. If I'd stuck £100 on Verstappen I would be.
  • Options

Mr. JohnL, a small part of that is Brown's petty vindictiveness, cutting the PM's salary just before he lost the job.

It is standard for PM's to cut their own salaries. Over time, it adds up. Mrs Thatcher did it (annoying some in her cabinet not married to millionaire businessmen) and so did David Cameron, for all his crocodile tears about Gordon Brown having got there first.
  • Options
    edited December 2016
    tlg86 said:

ydoethur said:

tlg86 said:

ydoethur said:

Charles said:

ydoethur said:

My salary only increased beyond £25,000 when I was promoted for the first time at the end of June this year.

I see, it's easy to assume everyone on here is high flyer. So I'd suggest your point about her not paying into a pension is probably spot on.
    Hmmm.

I'm sure you didn't mean it this way, but I would politely suggest that going from unemployed in 2011 to trainee teacher in 2012 to Head of Faculty and interviewed for Assistant Head in a mere five years is a sign of a fairly high flyer.

It's just that teaching is not the best paid of professions.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    ydoethur said:

Charles said:

ydoethur said:

Posted before your timing quote. But it could be to do with pension contributions.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,079

It is standard for PM's to cut their own salaries. Over time, it adds up. Mrs Thatcher did it (annoying some in her cabinet not married to millionaire businessmen) and so did David Cameron, for all his crocodile tears about Gordon Brown having got there first.
    Except Brown didn't do it when he first came to power; he did it immediately before the 2010 election. In other words: he cut his successor's salary.

Nasty and vindictive about sums that particular move up.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,948
    edited December 2016

Sandpit said:

Having thought about this for a bit, it will be an interesting intellectual exercise to wonder who the Guardian actually think of as JAMs, as opposed to who the government sees in that group.

Mrs May won't see young single graduates in London in that category at all, she's targeting Middle England with families and jobs, who have housing but struggle for any more than the basics and the occasional luxury or holiday.

Neither give a rat's arse about the Daily Mail caricature, of the family on £150k paying out school fees and agonising about whether they can afford Christmas in Dubai as well as half term in Courcheval this year!

Middle England is Sleaford, rather than the Great Wen. Houses are quite affordable there:

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/find.html?locationIdentifier=REGION^1216&numberOfPropertiesPerPage=24&radius=0.0&sortType=1&index=0&viewType=LIST&areaSizeUnit=sqft&currencyCode=GBP

That is where the JAMs are, in Leaverstan rather than Remania, and certainly not in a taxfree Gulf Emirate.

Worth noting too that the seminal film about the housing crisis in London was made in the Sixties- "Cathy Come Home". There are plenty of rose tinted glasses about this morning.

My parents bought their first house (Kent 1967) 7 years after getting married. In their first flat in London in 1960, they lived on the 4th floor without stairs and a tea chest and orange boxes for table and chairs. When they moved into their new house all their worldly possessions fitted in three tea chests. Standards of living and possessions were very different then.

Housing is indeed very affordable there, if you're on a national pay scale or have a job as a lawyer or doctor. Most people there are probably not so lucky, and see low wages held down by immigration, with low wage service jobs providing most employment.

How did your parents get to their 4th floor flat with no stairs?

General standards of living have of course improved massively over the last fifty years, and metrics such as life expectancy and infant mortality bear almost no relationship to those of our parents' generation.

As @AlastairMeeks points out, the Guardian article that started this conversation is comparing apples with oranges given the ages of the two people under discussion, it's just a Guardian moan about the cost of living in London without suggestion of how to address the problem.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

tlg86 said:

ydoethur said:

tlg86 said:

ydoethur said:

Charles said:

ydoethur said:

Hmmm.

I'm sure you didn't mean it this way, but I would politely suggest that going from unemployed in 2011 to trainee teacher in 2012 to Head of Faculty and interviewed for Assistant Head in a mere five years is a sign of a fairly high flyer.

Apologies, you're right, I didn't mean it quite like that!
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    edited December 2016

Even after a decade of decline, owner occupancy rates were far higher in 2011 than in 1961 (and the opposite for renting):

http://webarchive.nationalarchives.gov.uk/20160105160709/http://www.ons.gov.uk/ons/rel/census/2011-census-analysis/a-century-of-home-ownership-and-renting-in-england-and-wales/short-story-on-housing.html

I expect the statistics for 1963 and 2016 would tell the same story.

In part the reason that Guardian writer's father would have paid less for his house was that consumer credit and mortgages were very hard to get in the Sixties. My parents had to have a track record of saving with their Building Society for more than 5 years to be eligible for a mortgage. This was a major restraint on house prices.

The migration crisis of the Sixties was outward flow, the "Brain Drain", because so few people saw much future in Britain. I would have been Canadian if my mother had not developed TB in 1968 (picked up on migration visa for Canada) from years of living in substandard housing.

I do not mean to minimise the difficulties of Millenials like Fox jr, but you cannot pick out one aspect of life in the Sixties without taking the whole package. The past is a foreign country, from which we are permenantly exiled.
  • Options
    What was I thinking, of course Cook couldn't make it to tea.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    How did they do it? Sometimes you just have to stand back and admire political brilliance when you see it. Marvel at the cunning and ruthlessness, the clarity of vision. I am talking of course about the Labour Party, which, back in the summer, was presented with the perfect political opportunity. A government in disarray, nay collapse. The Liberal Democrats, which had seemingly ceased to exist. And Ukip leaderless and with its rival candidates punching the hell out of each other.

And from that position, a few short months ago, Labour has managed — incredibly — to render itself absolutely irrelevant to everybody. It is a remarkable achievement. When you consider how divided was our country over the referendum, the feat of alienating both remainers and leavers took some doing — but Jeremy Corbyn was up to the task.

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/comment/bravo-screaming-lord-corbyn-you-alienate-the-52-and-the-48-xwztgqnsq
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

ydoethur said:

tlg86 said:

ydoethur said:

tlg86 said:

ydoethur said:

Charles said:

ydoethur said:

Hmmm.

Apologies, you're right, I didn't mean it quite like that!
    No worries!
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

What was I thinking, of course Cook couldn't make it to tea.

Cook has to make tea instead? :wink:
  • Options

Except Brown didn't do it when he first came to power; he did it immediately before the 2010 election. In other words: he cut his successor's salary.

Yes, Brown's salary cut was by 25% in April 2010, the month before he left office. Vindictive is the right word.

That said, having the PMs salary where it is provides a good benchmark against other public sector salaries, and at a subliminal level at least probably causes some restraint in other departments and public sector bodies.
  • Options
    What was I thinking, of course Ali couldn't make it to tea.
  • Options
    old_labourold_labour Posts: 3,238
  • Options
    rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,921
    Kohli to score more runs than England's second innings?
  • Options
    rkrkrk said:

Kohli to score more runs than England's second innings?

Odds on.

*goes back to laying the draw*
  • Options

We don't actually know when Brown cut the PM's salary, though as Cameron cut it still further, crocodile tears are unnecessary. According to the Mail, it was not announced until months later, so the cut was not made immediately before the election, as legend has it.
  • Options
    The spurs England axis of despair approaches yet again
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Yes, Brown's salary cut was by 25% in April 2010, the month before he left office. Vindictive is the right word.

That said, having the PMs salary where it is provides a good benchmark against other public sector salaries, and at a subliminal level at least probably causes some restraint in other departments and public sector bodies.
    He might have hoped to retain office?
  • Options

The spurs England axis of despair approaches yet again

Nah, I fancy you lot to win at Man Utd.
  • Options
    @tlg86

Incidentally, to pick up on your earlier point about what would be needed to make you move to London, I was head hunted for a job in as nice part of north London earlier this year. I turned it down after I worked out that I would need a £90,000 salary to maintain my current lifestyle in the area, and even then I would be hard pressed to get a mortgage. That's a headteacher's salary - or maybe a deputy head once London Allowance is slung in. They were offering about £42,000, which on paper was good money but in practice wasn't even half way to what I would have wanted.

And that was even before my pay raise. It's really stunning to think people in London don't realise how inadequate their weighting is compared to the lower cost of living in the provinces. No wonder they have trouble recruiting key workers.
  • Options
    @ydoethur - are there not key worker houses? But I don't know how that works in practice if you then wanted to move elsewhere. It's one of the curious things about the immigration/Brexit debate. The place that is under the most pressure in terms of housing is the place that was most in favour of preserving the status quo.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

@ydoethur - are there not key worker houses? But I don't know how that works in practice if you then wanted to move elsewhere. It's one of the curious things about the immigration/Brexit debate. The place that is under the most pressure in terms of housing is the place that was most in favour of preserving the status quo.

I don't know either. However the descriptions from a friend of mine whose first job was in London were not encouraging.

The only one of my cohort to teach and stay in London was a former banker who bought a rather nice house in the 1980s crash. But there are not so many of them in teaching, for some reason.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,071
    ydoethur said:

@tlg86

Incidentally, to pick up on your earlier point about what would be needed to make you move to London, I was head hunted for a job in as nice part of north London earlier this year. I turned it down after I worked out that I would need a £90,000 salary to maintain my current lifestyle in the area, and even then I would be hard pressed to get a mortgage. That's a headteacher's salary - or maybe a deputy head once London Allowance is slung in. They were offering about £42,000, which on paper was good money but in practice wasn't even half way to what I would have wanted.

And that was even before my pay raise. It's really stunning to think people in London don't realise how inadequate their weighting is compared to the lower cost of living in the provinces. No wonder they have trouble recruiting key workers.

My grandson and granddaughter-in-law elect(!) are both newly qualified teachers and they reckon that they’ll need both salaries for some time after marriage. Grandson gets Outer London weighting, gd-i-law elect doesn’t.
    Incidentally, when I worked in the NHS in Basildon the effect of London weighting, as opposed to OLW was enough to persaude people to stay JUST the other side of the line.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    ydoethur said:

@tlg86

Increasing London weighting would just worsen the property differentials by pushing up housing costs. The problem of London housing is one of supply over demand.

Housing is actually quite affordable across most of Britain, the problem is lack of high paying work there. Leicester has quite affordable decent quality housing, yet people here have the fourth lowest disposeable income in the UK. Blackburn, Hull and Nottingham are lower. This is where the JAMS are:

http://m.leicestermercury.co.uk/spending-power-4th-lowest/story-19191982-detail/story.html
  • Options
    This:

She doesn’t have grand faults, just the standard coding errors you must expect if you install a Thames Valley Tory into your system of government.

Readers who don’t know the rich river towns and villages between Windsor and Henley won’t grasp how invulnerable conservative values and conservative culture can feel in the heart of Tory England.

struck me as particularly revealing - replace 'Windsor and Henley' with 'Islington' and 'conservative values and conservative culture' with 'Labour values and Labour culture'.......

But of course, the Islington world view is the correct one......
  • Options

This:

She doesn’t have grand faults, just the standard coding errors you must expect if you install a Thames Valley Tory into your system of government.

Readers who don’t know the rich river towns and villages between Windsor and Henley won’t grasp how invulnerable conservative values and conservative culture can feel in the heart of Tory England.

struck me as particularly revealing - replace 'Windsor and Henley' with 'Islington' and 'conservative values and conservative culture' with 'Labour values and Labour culture'.......

And she's the MP for Maidenhead which, not to put too fine a point on it, is a bit of a dump.
  • Options
    edited December 2016

ydoethur said:

@tlg86

Increasing London weighting would just worsen the property differentials by pushing up housing costs. The problem of London housing is one of supply over demand.

Housing is actually quite affordable across most of Britain, the problem is lack of high paying work there. Leicester has quite affordable decent quality housing, yet people here have the fourth lowest disposeable income in the UK. Blackburn, Hull and Nottingham are lower. This is where the JAMS are:

http://m.leicestermercury.co.uk/spending-power-4th-lowest/story-19191982-detail/story.html
    Cannock is similar. Even though it's doubled in size in 30 years, there is ample new housing and room to expand, so prices are low. A 3-bed semi with garden and garage is comfortably under £150k.

I'm surprised that Anglesey isn't on your list, but I suppose the low cost of living may offset the low average wage. (Edit - clicking on the link, I think it means 'England' not 'the U.K.'. My mistake.)
  • Options
    Bringing back IDS would be a mistake.
  • Options

Almost as nasty & vindictive as obsessing about it more than 5 years later would be...

• Options

This:

This.

May has an unembarrassed taste for Kipling’s If, The Great British Bake Off, James Bond and MasterChef. Like her supporters, she isn’t remotely edgy, and cannot see anything wrong with parochial and comfortable English life.

Describe wide swathes of the country.
  • Options
    edited December 2016
    Mr Dancer:

The worst mistake since Caesar went to the Senate on the ides of March, or the worst mistake since Hannibal decided not to capture Rome after Cannae?

Or to keep the peace between you and Mr Eagles, the worst mistake since Tiberias Gracchus tried to change the rules so he could be re-elected tribune after his term ended?
  • Options

Almost as nasty & vindictive as obsessing about it more than 5 years later would be..
    Not obsessing. Just pointing out facts.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,054
    tlg86 said:

rkrkrk said:

tlg86 said:

Our current PM is in a very different situation to Mrs T. I'm too young to remember, but I doubt a Tory MP would have been so rude as to talk about how much the PM's clothes cost. But it's a sign of the times that the likes of Morgan feel no inhibitions when it comes to such things. I don't think the Osbornites have quite acclimatised to the new political order and are lashing out at everything they can.

I thought it was pretty outrageous. Fair enough to disagree on policy but why would you make such a remark about your party leader? Seriously petty and just the sort of thing journalists love.

And yes I think it does have a sexism angle - I wonder how much David Cameron's suit cost...
    The context was Mrs May had just given an interview about the JAMs and was it wise to do so wearing £995 trousers doing so.

That was Nicky Morgan's point.

As an aside I think Nicky Morgan is wrong, you don't need to put on the sackcloth and ashes when talking about those less fortunate than yourself, it is the petty, childish response from Mrs May and her staff that is so alarming.
    But @rkrkrk is quite right to point out the sexism angle. Nobody mentions how much a male politician's suit costs, do they?
    Yes they did. The story is nonsense, other than, if true, it speaks poorly of how the PM has reacted to such petty insurbidination, but there is already a response to dismiss even the petty bit spuriously, which is unecessary. The focus of the story is already on the wrong bit, it doesn't matter what she spends her money on - she may even be very frugal in things other than clothes - so best to ignore that rather than spend effort weakly dismissing it, it'll dismiss itself.
  • Options
    edited December 2016

This:

She doesn't like foreign cultures apparently.

Although, from my experience (perhaps @NickPalmer can comment) you learn more about the Swiss walking in the moutains than you do on the streets of Basel.
  • Options
    Are we a representative democracy, or not?

Nicholas Boyle, emeritus professor of German at Cambridge University, has pointed out that only 28% of the population of this country voted to leave the EU. “Should 28% be entitled to compel 72% to do what they want?” he asks. That, he says, is the real constitutional issue.

“The 17 million [Leave voters] represented no one other than themselves. The members of the House of Commons represent all 64 million of us, whether voters or not.” He adds that if it is true that 70% of MPs do not wish to leave the European Union, then they “have every right to feel they more truly represent the views and interests of the country”.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/nov/27/brexit-of-course-economic-forecasts-bad-no-plan
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,990
    edited December 2016
    Scott_P said:

Nicholas Boyle, emeritus professor of German at Cambridge University, has pointed out that only 28% of the population of this country voted to leave the EU. “Should 28% be entitled to compel 72% to do what they want?” he asks. That, he says, is the real constitutional issue.

“The 17 million [Leave voters] represented no one other than themselves. The members of the House of Commons represent all 64 million of us, whether voters or not.” He adds that if it is true that 70% of MPs do not wish to leave the European Union, then they “have every right to feel they more truly represent the views and interests of the country”.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/nov/27/brexit-of-course-economic-forecasts-bad-no-plan

Are the 27% similarly allowed to tell everyone what they should do? Let's face it, those that didn't vote had a chance to vote, and didn't take it. What they think is moot.

He adds that if it is true that 70% of MPs do not wish to leave the European Union, then they “have every right to feel they more truly represent the views and interests of the country”."

What a load of crap. They don't more truly represent the views of the country, as the referendum results showed.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Pointless argument. There is an electorate which comprises a subgroup of the population. That is broadly accepted (and there is a prpceedure for changing the definition of you agree).

Every member of the electorate had the right to vote. If an individual chose not to exercise that right then they can't reasonably complain that they had no input into the outcome.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,481
    I don't have any time for Banks, but I guess you could argue that the Soviet Union was a different thing altogether from today's Russians. I don't think I would argue that, but you could...
  • Options
    PlatoSaidPlatoSaid Posts: 10,383
    I saw mention of a new SoS for Trump FPT

If that's true, his nickname is T Rex :smiley:
  • Options
    edited December 2016

Bringing back IDS would be a mistake.

As are most sentences with those initials in them, unless they also contain the word 'idiot'?
  • Options
    Charles said:

Pointless argument. There is an electorate which comprises a subgroup of the population. That is broadly accepted (and there is a prpceedure for changing the definition of you agree).

Every member of the electorate had the right to vote. If an individual chose not to exercise that right then they can't reasonably complain that they had no input into the outcome.

But that is not the point he is making.

Millions of people under 18 have had their right to free movement within the EU taken away. They could not vote.

Who represents them?
  • Options

Charles said:

rkrkrk said:

tlg86 said:

Our current PM is in a can.

And yes I think it does have a sexism angle - I wonder how much David Cameron's suit cost...
    The context was Mrs May had just given an interview about the JAMs and was it wise to do so wearing £995 trousers doing so.

As an aside I think Nicky Morgan is wrong, you don't need to put on the sackcloth and ashes when talking about those less fortunate than yourself, it is the petty, childish response from Mrs May and her staff that is so alarming.
    The lack of discipline among MPs is extraordinary.

No one benefited fromheadline
    Why does anyone big themselves up; it's a trait that's hardly reserved for politicians.

Perhaps it is healthy for politicians to speak freely about things and how they feel: at the very least, such free talking showed the country the real Leadsom and prevented that loathsome individual (*) from becoming PM.

For that reason alone, such interviews are to be commended.

(*) For the sake of some posters' blood pressure, I refrained from using the word 'witch' in connection with her.
    Nicky Morgan is a good MP, one of the best of my local ones. She was very much a Cameroon and Remainer.

I do not like May's taste in clothes. Her hunched shoulders and marabou stork*walk mean that clothes hang badly on her. She would benefit from some deportment lessons.

May makes too many enemies in her party and too few friends. Her first cabinet was managed with excessive malice. Morgan and May were at the same cabinet table for years, as was Osborne and Cameron, to whom she owed her position yet did not speak to after becoming PM. A reshuffle was nessecary, but these would all have been useful people for advice. May has been nursing her wrath for years to keep it warm.

It became quickly apparent in how she had the Osborne story leaked - and I presume it was her staff since it made her look good, given he Is so disliked - that she not only was determined to be decisive and forceful as the new pm, forging her own parh not merely following Cameron's, but that she thought Osborne was crap and wanted everyone to know it, since she didn't just sack him and let him attempt to save face and talk needing a fresh direction and all that. Many would support her view of him, but the way some of her initial cheerleaders talked of Cameron and her now, she gives the impression of hating every minute of the last 6 years.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,071
    tlg86 said:

This:

And she's the MP for Maidenhead which, not to put too fine a point on it, is a bit of a dump.
    I was once in Maidenhead, at the annual dinner of the (don’t laugh) Home Brewing and Winemaking Suppliers Association. Perhaps understandably, although perhaps mistakenly the wines at dinner were from the Associations products, and we were charged £20 a bottle corkage. With, 30 years ago, I thought was excessive! Put me off returning to the town.
  • Options
    Charles said:

This:

Although, from my experience (perhaps @NickPalmer can comment) you learn more about the Swiss walking in the moutains than you do on the streets of Basel.
    Or the salons of Davos.......

As with our first female PM, there's a whole load of snobbery going on.....
  • Options
    nielhnielh Posts: 1,307
    ydoethur said:

tlg86 said:

I don't know either. However the descriptions from a friend of mine whose first job was in London were not encouraging.

The only one of my cohort to teach and stay in London was a former banker who bought a rather nice house in the 1980s crash. But there are not so many of them in teaching, for some reason.
    Interesting debate.
    I worked in London for 8 years, public sector key worker. My wage went from 30k to a maximum of £38k despite several promotions, but in reality the wage increases were just keeping up with inflation and by 2013 I realised there was no chance whatsoever of buying a property in London or anywhere near it. And while there was a prospect of more promotions, there was a wage ceiling of £45-50 k in my industry, which means I was effectively locked out of the prospect of homeownership in London.
    I moved out of the London, commuted for 2 years then took a job locally with a small pay cut. After getting married and with our joint savings and some minor parental assistance I bought a 2 bed property with garden in a nice area, the mortgage payment is a third of my income. I also bought a car. We had a child and can get by if needed on one income. I consider us to be in the top percentile of the JAM's, in that if I lose my job or get ill and can't work then of course we are in deep trouble after a few months. God help us if we need to navigate the benefits system.
    I calculated if I want to commute back to work in London, or move somewhere closer, to keep this standard of living the wage would need to be 70 - 90k. Not going to happen.
    If you are a public sector recruiter in London you are recruiting from a pool of people who already own property in London and don't want to move, either that or people who are in their twenties, ambitious and happy to live in houseshares, of which there are enough to keep the industry going. But go anywhere outside of the outer London commuter belt and you can have a reasonably good standard of living and security if you are a public sector worker and have the right skills/experience.

• Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,798
    ydoethur said:

@tlg86

Without personalising it, there might be the argument that public sector workers outside London address are OVERpaid, while those in and near London are underpaid. As a whole the taxpayer is not getting value for money. They are paying more than they need to get quality staff in one part of the country while not getting what they need in another part.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

I don't have any time for Banks, but I guess you could argue that the Soviet Union was a different thing altogether from today's Russians. I don't think I would argue that, but you could...
    I wouldn't argue it. Brezhnev was a Ukrainian-born Russian, agreed, but he favoured Russians over any other nationality for his key roles. Indeed, one of the ironies of the Soviet Union is that although it was theoretically neutral in nationality and race matters and indeed had only one unambiguously Russian leader who served for more than two years (Ulyanov) it was quite as forceful in pushing Russification as the Tsars had been.
  • Options

Almost as nasty & vindictive as obsessing about it more than 5 years later would be..
    Obsession is choosing which fact(s) to point out. Over and over.

• Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,631
    IanB2 said:

Plus it was the Americans that chose to side with the Taliban and precursor to Al-Qaida in Afghanistan.
  • Options

tlg86 said:

This:

I was once in Maidenhead, at the annual dinner of the (don’t laugh) Home Brewing and Winemaking Suppliers Association. Perhaps understandably, although perhaps mistakenly the wines at dinner were from the Associations products, and we were charged £20 a bottle corkage. With, 30 years ago, I thought was excessive! Put me off returning to the town.
    That's around £50 in today's money.......
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

IanB2 said:

I wouldn't argue it. Brezhnev was a Ukrainian-born Russian, agreed, but he favoured Russians over any other nationality for his key roles. Indeed, one of the ironies of the Soviet Union is that although it was theoretically neutral in nationality and race matters and indeed had only one unambiguously Russian leader who served for more than two years (Ulyanov) it was quite as forceful in pushing Russification as the Tsars had been.
    I was just thinking - admittedly in a devil's advocate frame of mind - that it might be his closeness to the current regime, rather than his lack of historical knowledge, that underlies the tweet.
  • Options
    Charles said:

Scott_P said:

Well quite. There are remoAner arguments I have sympathy with, particularly with hardcore leavers and some former remain allies pretending if we don't get hardest Brexit that is basically ignoring the referendum, but suddenly deciding absolute majority is needed, not even a majority of eligible voters who choose to vote? Come off it.

I like that it specifies a professor pointed it out. Such stunning insight, professor.

If they want to respond seriously, someone could say it's hardly in the interests of the 64million to ignore the vote given the chaos that would cause, the kids can always campaign to rejoin the eu.
  • Options
    FF43 said:

ydoethur said:

@tlg86

Without personalising it, there might be the argument that public sector workers outside London address are OVERpaid, while those in and near London are underpaid. As a whole the taxpayer is not getting value for money. They are paying more than they need to get quality staff in one part of the country while not getting what they need in another part.
    That's also a possibility, which unfortunately breaks down when you realise how hard it is to recruit teachers in some areas because of flat salaries - e.g. would you teach in Hartlepool (class sizes 37, difficult to control, appalling conditions) when you could teach in Rutland or Herefordshire (average class size 26, behaviour good) for the same money?

My answer would be that salary scales are not all they're cracked up to be and schools should have more freedom to pay staff what they think they're worth.

The elephant in all of this is that for the last 10-15 years there has been a serious and increasing shortage of teachers, which is about to spike nastily due to the cack-handed attempts to close off university routes into teaching.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Charles said:

Millions of people under 18 have had their right to free movement within the EU taken away. They could not vote.

Who represents them?
    The same was true of my friend who was born in 1962. He's had to wait all this time to get a vote on our membership of the EU.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Charles said:

Who represents them?
    16/17 yer olds would have needed to vote Remain by 80%-20%, with a turnout of 80% for the result to have changed.

At the end of the day, those under 18 don't get to vote. While it is right that they are represented in Parliament, I don't see how their position is any different from the many more millions of over 18s who similarly lost that right.
  • Options
    International Spectator
    BREAKING: Death toll in Cairo cathedral bombing rises to 20
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

ydoethur said:

IanB2 said:

I was just thinking - admittedly in a devil's advocate frame of mind - that it might be his closeness to the current regime, rather than his lack of historical knowledge, that underlies the tweet.
    Why either/or? Could easily be both.
  • Options
    YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172
    MaxPB said:

IanB2 said:

Plus it was the Americans that chose to side with the Taliban and precursor to Al-Qaida in Afghanistan.
    Exactly. That is how a young Saudi named Osama bin Laden came to end up in that part of the world.

It was the West, viewing the conflict as a Cold War struggle, that aided the growth of the Mujahideen.
  • Options
    Mr. Doethur, conquering Rome post-Cannae was impossible. The city had an enormous population and strong walls. Hannibal's army was too large to feed easily, but not large enough to overwhelm the massive and militant population of Rome. He had neither siege engines nor engineers. People who criticise him for not attacking Rome fail to understand these things.

[There is an argument that Rome might have psychologically crumbled and come to terms, but given the day after Cannae the field upon which Hannibal's victorious army was camped was sold for the full price, this seems optimistic beyond the bounds of reason].
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,798
    IanB2 said:

I agree Russia is a different beast from the Soviet Union. But if I could pick more recent years for Russian deliberate destabilisation of the world. Is 2014 to 2016, and continuing.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

IanB2 said:

Yes, as regards the history that is of course a rather important point.
  • Options

Charles said:

This:

Or the salons of Davos.......

As with our first female PM, there's a whole load of snobbery going on.....
    I dislike snobbery of any variety - it's one of the most ugly traits in my view.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

tlg86 said:

ydoethur said:

Charles said:

ydoethur said:

My salary only increased beyond £25,000 when I was promoted to deputy head of faculty for the first time at the end of June this year.

Wow. I knew teachers were poorly paid, but still.im on more than that and I'm just a clerk.
  • Options
    edited December 2016
    MaxPB said:

IanB2 said:

If you haven't read Charlie Wilson's War, it's superb and filled with insight from an insider grinding an axe about blue bloods. The film is terrible trivia in comparison.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

I find it incredible that so many eminent academics are willing to embarrass themselves like this.
  • Options
    Charles said:

Scott_P said:

"I strongly disagree with the result of the referendum. Here are some reasons why I think it should be ignored."
  • Options
    Diane Abbott struggling with the brutal simplicity of 100 - 52 - 48 = 0
  • Options

Scott_P said:

I find it incredible that so many eminent academics are willing to embarrass themselves like this.
    Totally agree.

And by spouting off like this on topics they obviously know very little about... They devalue their colleagues who do have expertise.
  • Options

Scott_P said:

It is quite amazing how poorly these elitist tossers understand either the political system or the people of this country.
  • Options
    edited December 2016
    Scott_P said:

Charles said:

Who represents them?
    They are still represented. We can guess how they'd have voted but they didn't have the right so it would be absurd to stymie the result based on that. It includes millions of toddlers for instance, who will grow up post eu,perhaps with a free movement deal but probably not, perhaps with us doing well and the eu not. Such young people might well be pleased we are not In The eu, despite the young today being very for. Unlikely, you might say, but there's no way to know.
  • Options
    I'm getting the distinct impression that Shami is the new Seumas.

Anyone know what's happening to him?
  • Options

Scott_P said:

I wonder where their funding comes from, to write such ridiculous pieces?
  • Options
    It is not going to end well if people believe their vote has been stolen by mainly, privileged people who can find the means to go to the Supreme Court. They should be careful what they wish for.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Scott_P said:

The Guardian... so the Cayman Islands. :D
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Pethaps, but I doubt he's made such a distinction - oh I meant they didn't do it in 01, not that their precursor had never done it .
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

Scott_P said:

Charles said:

Who represents them?
    The same was true of my friend who was born in 1962. He's had to wait all this time to get a vote on our membership of the EU.
    Yep, no one born after 1957 got a chance to vote on membership of the EU until this year. We had all its idiocies and problems imposed on us for 44 years.
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,672
    edited December 2016
    Charles said:

rkrkrk said:

tlg86 said:

Our current PM is in a very different situation to Mrs T. I'm too young to remember, but I doubt a Tory MP would have been so rude as to talk about how much the PM's clothes cost. But it's a sign of the times that the likes of Morgan feel no inhibitions when it comes to such things. I don't think the Osbornites have quite acclimatised to the new political order and are lashing out at everything they can.

I thought it was pretty outrageous. Fair enough to disagree on policy but why would you make such a remark about your party leader? Seriously petty and just the sort of thing journalists love.

The lack of discipline among MPs is extraordinary.

No one benefited from that interview except Nicky Morgan feeling important and the Sun getting a cheap front page.

Why do politicians feel the need to big themselves up: they should be there to serve their constituents and the country, not make bitchy remarks about colleagues in search of a headline
    Nicky Morgan has been acting in a childish, huffy and petulant manner since she was sacked, which she clearly feels was a travesty.

She's shown a total lack of class. She should take a lesson (believe it or not) from George Osborne who, whilst also sacked and on manoeuvres of his own on Brexit, is, so far, playing it clean in public.
  • Options

It is not going to end well if people believe their vote has been stolen by mainly, privileged people who can find the means to go to the Supreme Court. They should be careful what they wish for.

We can hope people won't believe that as it won't be true, only parliament can take the vote away, should the current challenge succeed.
  • Options

Scott_P said:

How about addressing the points made?
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Scott_P said:

Similar arguments were made for the 9-10 months after the Tory victory in GE2015.

It's just the subject has now moved on, and in an even bigger way.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Sandpit said:

Scott_P said:

The Guardian... so the Cayman Islands. :D
    Have any PBers been to the Cayman Islands? Are they particularly nice or totally covered in bank buildings?!
  • Options

Obsession is choosing which fact(s) to point out. Over and over.
    When has it been pointed out 'over and over' ?

It's surely a valid criticism of Brown?
  • Options
    Maybe Theresa needs a GOAT like Gisela Stuart.
  • Options
    Mr. Royale, aye. Sacking Morgan was a good move by May.

Mr. Labour, I agree. Most people, including a lot of Remain voters, will think "We've voted; get on with it."

If we end up not leaving or having a departure in name only, that'll aggravate a large part of the electorate, who may take their votes elsewhere.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

ydoethur said:

tlg86 said:

ydoethur said:

Charles said:

ydoethur said:

Wow. I knew teachers were poorly paid, but still.im on more than that and I'm just a clerk.
    When I got my first job in 2013, my starting salary was £21,588. It rose a little the following year, up a band, but I also had a teaching and learning allowance (TLR) as Head of Subject that took it up to about £24,000. (These were traditionally separate pieces of pay bolted on top of basic salary, although this is now slowly changing.) I was raised one band again the following year to take me to £25,000. I then had a slight basic pay increase this year, plus a hefty rise in TLR for first deputy head and then head of faculty. So I'm now on over £30,000. The basic salary for a new teacher is about £1,000 more than in 2013, in line with inflation.

Automatic pay increases have now been abolished and teachers have to show they are deserving of being moved to the next grade. This has caused some resentment as (1) it's a lot of extra work to prove it and (2) teachers almost always automatically improve as time goes on because like all skills you get better with practice.

If you are interested, salary scales are set out in this document, including London weighting:

https://www.teachers.org.uk/sites/default/files2014/2016-17-pay-scale-points-joint-advice-final-0_0.pdf

Please bear in mind also that most NQTs work on average a 60 hour week, and most teachers in the middle work over 50 hours a week.
  • Options

Scott_P said:

The points made were completely disingenuous. A public referendum was held on the subject on June 23rd, the result was decisive and will be implemented by the government if they wish to be re-elected.
  • Options

Scott_P said:

Given that the points have no validity why bother? Neither you nor the author are going to accept that they are fundamentally wrong both legally and philosophically. So you can just go on living in your bitter little world where your bright shining future has been stolen by those nasty old demi-dead. Meanwhile the rest of us will get on with living in reality.
This discussion has been closed.