Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Trump the Time magazine “Person of the Year” – it is hard to d

Comments

• Options
    Pulpstar said:

Question: If a Justice thinks Miller/Pannick is technically right in law, but the government with the backing of 17.4 million voters (Or NET 1-2 millionish if you prefer) is "naturally just" are they still obliged to rule in favour of Miller/Pannick ?

Just listened to a very interesting exchange of views between the justices and the present QC which seemed to be leaning towards the Government and certainly that it would not be telling the Government what it is required to do in the HOC.

The justice suggested that if there was a large vote of MP's in favour of serving A50 he couldn't see how the justices could grant an injunction against the serving of A50. However as the exchanges continued Sky switched away and they have done this before and it is so frustrating

I wonder if the justice had tonight's vote in mind

• Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    rcs1000 said:

TGOHF said:

TGOHF said:

re Labour's new customs union policy - does that mean they don't want new free trade deals with the rest of the world ?

It means that they, probably rightly, consider that the minor disadvantage of not being able to negotiate our own trade deals is outweighed by the humongous advantage of not wrecking our car industry.
    Under what circumstances would the EU invoke tariffs on our car industry that wouldn't result in the mutual destruction of a multitude of their industries ?

Be realistic..
    Umnmm: unfortunately, I don't think that's true. Because the auto industry has multi-country supply chains, cutting us 'out' would harm us far more than them. Simply, we don't have enough of an auto component industry in the UK.
    But then other industries would be "out" for the Uk. All these tales of woe suggest we would stand back like a pinata and take a free beating. We have a massive balance of trade deficit with the EU...
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,031
    edited December 2016
    As it's Brexit day, I'd like to remind everyone that there is a difference between:

(a) being in a customs union with the EU, and having our own relationships with other countries, which is what Turkey has
    and
    (b) being in the EU customs unions, and therefore being a party to all the trade deals signed by the EU

I would also like to point out that we should dis-aggregate the various EU payments. Norway's annual payments to the EU are about EUR850m. Of this, the biggest component (EUR447m) is for membership of various bodies administered by the EU, but run separately: i.e., Erasmus, the European Space Agency, CERN, Gallileo, Horizon, Copernicus, and a bunch of others. We would be able to cherry pick which ones we wished to be members of post Brexit, but I very much doubt we'd like to walk away from Erasmus, for example, just because we'd left the EU.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Question: If a Justice thinks Miller/Pannick is technically right in law, but the government with the backing of 17.4 million voters (Or NET 1-2 millionish if you prefer) is "naturally just" are they still obliged to rule in favour of Miller/Pannick ?

The Supreme Court can develop the law. So it is open to it to establish a new legal principle if it thinks appropriate. In a case as controversial as this, it would want to have a clear rationale for doing so.
    Thanks, I was wondering why you thought the odds should be 4-6 / 6-4, I think that explains it :)
    If the Supreme Court is so inclined, it can decide the case in favour of the government without explicitly developing the law beyond its previously-understood point. A welter of heavyweight constitutional lawyers initially thought the case would inevitably fail. The consensus that the government will lose in the Supreme Court is very recent indeed (and in my view is just as misguided as the previous consensus).

To my mind this is a finely balanced case. In my view the law should be developed so that the respondents win but I'm keener to see a clear judgment that establishes effective checks and balances over the executive than to see it go one way or the other.
  • Options
    Blue_rogBlue_rog Posts: 2,019
    I see the true colours of remain MP's are coming out. Block Article 50 trigger under any circumstances. I really think the whip should be withdrawn from any MP with this stance and deselect them at the earliest opportunity.

If that means the government falls then so be it and let's have a GE
  • Options
    Blue_rog said:

I see the true colours of remain MP's are coming out. Block Article 50 trigger under any circumstances. I really think the whip should be withdrawn from any MP with this stance and deselect them at the earliest opportunity.

Even from those MPs whose constituencies who voted Remain?
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,054
    rcs1000 said:

As it's Brexit day, I'd like to remind everyone that there is a difference between:

(a) being in a customs union with the EU, and having our own relationships with other countries, which is what Turkey has
    and
    (b) being in the EU customs unions, and therefore being a party to all the trade deals signed by the EU

I would also like to point out that we should dis-aggregate the various EU payments. Norway's annual payments to the EU are about EUR850m. Of this, the biggest component (EUR447m) is for membership of various bodies administered by the EU, but run separately: i.e., Erasmus, the European Space Agency, CERN, Gallileo, Horizon, Copernicus, and a bunch of others. We would be able to cherry pick which ones we wished to be members of post Brexit, but I very much doubt we'd like to walk away from Erasmus, for example, just because we'd left the EU.

On the topic of a European organisation we shouldn't walk away from:
    http://www.parabolicarc.com/2016/12/07/uk-space-agency-esa-contributions/
  • Options
    Blue_rogBlue_rog Posts: 2,019
    rcs1000 said:

and

I think we'd also want to remain part of the medicines agency
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

The Supreme Court can develop the law. So it is open to it to establish a new legal principle if it thinks appropriate. In a case as controversial as this, it would want to have a clear rationale for doing so.
    Thanks, I was wondering why you thought the odds should be 4-6 / 6-4, I think that explains it :)
    If the Supreme Court is so inclined, it can decide the case in favour of the government without explicitly developing the law beyond its previously-understood point. A welter of heavyweight constitutional lawyers initially thought the case would inevitably fail. The consensus that the government will lose in the Supreme Court is very recent indeed (and in my view is just as misguided as the previous consensus).

To my mind this is a finely balanced case. In my view the law should be developed so that the respondents win but I'm keener to see a clear judgment that establishes effective checks and balances over the executive than to see it go one way or the other.
    At I think 17%, which is not far off 5/1, the government winning looked pretty good value. Just because it is difficult to tell either way.
  • Options
    Re IDS: I'm not sure what the argument against being in a customs union with the EU is (as a transitional agreement, if nothing else). It would drastically simplify the exit process and would not prejudice arrangements with other countries down the line.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,655

How am I in the same party as IDS?

I'm sure the LibDems would welcome you...
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    edited December 2016

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

At I think 17%, which is not far off 5/1, the government winning looked pretty good value. Just because it is difficult to tell either way.
    3/1 is still good value.

EDIT I have once in my legal career been given an estimate from a QC of a 75% chance of success in court. A rock solid case usually gets given a 60-65% chance of success.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,942

Blue_rog said:

Are there any Tory remainers in remain seats, except May & Hammond who are obviously completely wedded to the Government's position :D ?
  • Options

They'd never have me.

Plus I'm much happier in the Tory tent peeing inside.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Blue_rog said:

Are there any Tory remainers in remain seats, except May & Hammond who are obviously completely wedded to the Government's position :D ?
    Quite a few, Ken Clarke for starters
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

rcs1000 said:

TGOHF said:

TGOHF said:

re Labour's new customs union policy - does that mean they don't want new free trade deals with the rest of the world ?

It means that they, probably rightly, consider that the minor disadvantage of not being able to negotiate our own trade deals is outweighed by the humongous advantage of not wrecking our car industry.
    Under what circumstances would the EU invoke tariffs on our car industry that wouldn't result in the mutual destruction of a multitude of their industries ?

Be realistic..
    Umnmm: unfortunately, I don't think that's true. Because the auto industry has multi-country supply chains, cutting us 'out' would harm us far more than them. Simply, we don't have enough of an auto component industry in the UK.
    But then other industries would be "out" for the Uk. All these tales of woe suggest we would stand back like a pinata and take a free beating. We have a massive balance of trade deficit with the EU...
    Surely the trade deficit means *we* benefit. They send us money, we spend the money on their products. We get the products, and they get worthless bits of paper.

If we stopped buying German cars, they would stop accumulating worthless credits, and would all get to drive new Mercedes.
  • Options

They'd never have me.

Just checking - if I keep asking on a weekly basis, maybe you'll eventually surprise us!
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Re IDS: I'm not sure what the argument against being in a customs union with the EU is (as a transitional agreement, if nothing else). It would drastically simplify the exit process and would not prejudice arrangements with other countries down the line.

Isn't a Customs Union a bit like the original Common Market?
  • Options

They'd never have me.

Just checking - if I keep asking on a weekly basis, maybe you'll eventually surprise us!
    20 years a member next May, if I can survive the leadership of IDS, I can survive Mrs May's leadership.

Plus George Osborne will need people like me when when he becomes Tory Leader/PM in a few years time.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    edited December 2016

20 years a member next May, if I can survive the leadership of IDS, I can survive Mrs May's leadership.

Plus George Osborne will need people like me when when he becomes Tory Leader/PM in a few years time.

https://twitter.com/psbook/status/806511879497613312
  • Options

What are his current midpoint odds on Betfair ?
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,288

Someone on Twitter just suggested that the M above the Don's napper resembles horns and Time are on the troll. Is it really obvious and are my visual sensibilities somewhat blunt today?

Like the FedEx arrow, once you see it you can't unsee it.
    What's the FedEx arrow thing?

Is it like Colonel Sanders' tie actually being little arms and legs?
    Look at the white space between the last E and the X
    It makes a rightwards pointing arrow (and this is deliberate)

What did you see in that logo?

Will there be a Brexit arrow?
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,101

rcs1000 said:

Only if you want to wilfully delude yourself about the nature of the Common Market.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,610
    IDS is a complete fool. I wish he'd just keep his fat mouth shut.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

No, the Customs Union was the original Common Market.

Essentially, being in a customs union means keeping the same external tariff rates as the EU (which is no great difficulty, as we have that currently), and then having free trade between us and the EU. It would not affect our ability to sign additional free trade deals. (As Turkey, for example, has done.)
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,288
    MaxPB said:

Did I see a misplaced consonant, or did I think you wrote something else?
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Far too high.
  • Options
    dr_spyn said:

MaxPB said:

Did I see a misplaced consonant, or did I think you wrote something else?
    Both the letters 'f' and 't' are appropriate.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Essentially, being in a customs union means keeping the same external tariff rates as the EU (which is no great difficulty, as we have that currently), and then having free trade between us and the EU. It would not affect our ability to sign additional free trade deals. (As Turkey, for example, has done.)
    What are the downsides (upsetting headbangers isn't one...)?
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

https://twitter.com/psbook/status/806511879497613312
    In that picture, the wrong MP lost his seat.

I'm told the pensions industry is still in mourning over Steve Webb's loss.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Far too high.

Filled your boots, have you?
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,343
    Pulpstar said:

DavidL said:

Yep that was not one of the difficult ones was it?

Slightly more difficult, and relevant to the last thread, is the Supreme Court decision on Brexit. I was gainfully employed this morning and didn't see it but the chat at lunch was that Pannick got a bit of a doing this morning. Is there value in the government winning? Maybe there is.

Which of the judges was doing the doing ?
    As I say I didn't see it but I was told it was Lord Kerr and Lord Neuberger leading the charge.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Wasn't Prussia's ,,Zollverein'' the original "Common Market"?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zollverein
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

3/1 is still good value.

EDIT I have once in my legal career been given an estimate from a QC of a 75% chance of success in court. A rock solid case usually gets given a 60-65% chance of success.
    These QCs must do their pieces on the racetrack :)
  • Options

They'd never have me.

If!

BTW, IDS never lost a GE as leader!
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

3/1 is still good value.

That's what we say in this office... not sure it applies as much to the Supreme Court though
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Far too high.

Filled your boots, have you?
    I backed him at 20/1.

He's currently 10/1 on Betfair.
  • Options

Blue_rog said:

There were 382 official "counting areas" for EURef.

LEAVE won 263 of those
    REMAIN won only 119
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

The downside is that - while we're in it - we need to keep our tariffs synchronised with the EU's. That means that we can't unilaterally cut the tariff on (for example) cars to 1%.

*But*, the weighted average mean tariff for goods coming into the EU is just 1.0%* **, and that's below most large trading blocs and countries***. Sure we might want to cut the tariffs on cars down the line, but there's no rush to do so.

Unfortunately, I think it may be politically unacceptable. It's not taking back control if we don't get to set the tariff on imported steel.

* http://data.worldbank.org/indicator/TM.TAX.MRCH.WM.AR.ZS
    ** the weighted average tariffs flatter the EU, as they are pulled down by lots of tariff free oil and gas
    *** Canada is 0,8%, but pretty much everyone else is higher
  • Options
    PAWPAW Posts: 1,074
    If the chances for a good case are 60% odd, wouldn't it be cheaper to agree to toss a coin?
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Wasn't Prussia's ,,Zollverein'' the original "Common Market"?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zollverein
    :)
  • Options

Blue_rog said:

LEAVE won 263 of those
    REMAIN won only 119
    And?

Some of the more fuckwitted Leavers want to see the whip removed from MPs who vote in line with their constituents.
  • Options
    If Hillary had won wouldn't it still be a "Divided States of America"?

Incidentally, she only carried 20 States plus Washington DC.
  • Options
    RecidivistRecidivist Posts: 4,679

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

I don't think there are many downsides for us. The problem is we'd be 'free rider' on the rest of the EU, so they would have little incentive to go along with it. So we could cut a deal with Turkey and import their carpets with a low tariff and then re-export them to the rest of the EU. I imagine it would be a non-starter unless the EU's strategy is to be really really nice to us to encourage us back.
  • Options

Blue_rog said:

LEAVE won 263 of those
    REMAIN won only 119
    And?
    Just sayin'!

:innocent:

• Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,496
    rcs1000 said:

TGOHF said:

TGOHF said:

Be realistic..
    But under those circumstances, we pretty soon would have.
  • Options
    Carolus_RexCarolus_Rex Posts: 1,414

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

3/1 is still good value.

I was once rash enough to give a client 90%, but only because the other side's case was the legal equivalent of a banzai charge. And, in fairness, we did win.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

I don't think there are many downsides for us. The problem is we'd be 'free rider' on the rest of the EU, so they would have little incentive to go along with it. So we could cut a deal with Turkey and import their carpets with a low tariff and then re-export them to the rest of the EU. I imagine it would be a non-starter unless the EU's strategy is to be really really nice to us to encourage us back.
    I think the EU would love to be in a customs union with us, especially if we were still paying into a bunch of EU programmes.

"Look at those foolish Brits, reduced to the status of Turkey, but with a bigger bill."
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

I think the EU would love to be in a customs union with us, especially if we were still paying into a bunch of EU programmes.

"Look at those foolish Brits, reduced to the status of Turkey, but with a bigger bill."
    I'm sure you'll have no trouble convincing the IDS tendency that they're wrong.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Sadly, IDS is an idiot, who doesn't seem to understand the difference between 'a' and 'the'.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

3/1 is still good value.

I was once rash enough to give a client 90%, but only because the other side's case was the legal equivalent of a banzai charge. And, in fairness, we did win.
    Brave!
  • Options
    Am I the only one finding James Wolffe unimpressive ?
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

Someone on Twitter just suggested that the M above the Don's napper resembles horns and Time are on the troll. Is it really obvious and are my visual sensibilities somewhat blunt today?

Client of mine was one of the founders of FedEx. I could ask him if it was intentional if you like?
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

and

My understanding is that you are wrong about being able to make your own trade deals if you are inside the customs union. This is why Norway and the other EFTA countries stayed outside the customs union even though they joined the EEA.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Sadly, IDS is an idiot, who doesn't seem to understand the difference between 'a' and 'the'.
    And how many supposed experts don't appear to understand the difference between being in the Single Market and having tariff-free access to the Single Market?

Incidentally, they have some very strange customs in parts of europe. Not sure I want to be part of that union.
  • Options
    Andy_CookeAndy_Cooke Posts: 4,818

rcs1000 said:

and

My understanding is that you are wrong about being able to make your own trade deals if you are inside the customs union. This is why Norway and the other EFTA countries stayed outside the customs union even though they joined the EEA.
    Looks like Turkey's allowed:
    http://www.tariff-tr.com/FreeTradeAgreements.aspx
    http://yoikk.gov.tr/upload/idb/ftascompatibilitymode.pdf
    http://ec.europa.eu/trade/policy/countries-and-regions/countries/turkey/

It's the difference between the EU Customs Union and being in a customs union with the EU.
  • Options

Blue_rog said:

LEAVE won 263 of those
    REMAIN won only 119
    And?

Some of the more fuckwitted Leavers want to see the whip removed from MPs who vote in line with their constituents.
    It's more reasonable to suggest that MPs vote in line with how they voted on the Referendum Bill.
  • Options
    Charles said:

Client of mine was one of the founders of FedEx. I could ask him if it was intentional if you like?
    I had always understood that it is intentional, but it would be great to have confirmation. As for Donald Trump's Time horns, I'm less sure.
  • Options
    On the topic of company logos, one of the companies we deal with has a logo that looks a lot like a set of male genitalia, complete with pubic hair. No kidding.
  • Options
    Good afternoon, everyone.
  • Options

Charles said:

I had always understood that it is intentional, but it would be great to have confirmation. As for Donald Trump's Time horns, I'm less sure.
    They look more like bunny ears than horns to me.
  • Options
    I was initially cautious about the Justices but having listened to them over the last three days they do seem to be aware of the controversial nature of this case and I am growing in confidence that they will make a ruling that is more nuanced than the High Court and I expect it will have a nod to each side and that the process will return then to the HOC.

I expect TM will provide an overview of the UK's position and then seek a straight vote on A50, maybe even before 31st March 2017
  • Options
    BBC: "Man guilty of racially-aggravated harassment of Labour MP Luciana Berger, after sending anti-Semitic online rants"
  • Options
    Mr. NorthWales, I'm not paying attention because the saturation coverage bores me, but it's worth remembering people said the same of Lord Hutton before his conclusions emerged.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

and

Turkey is in a customs union with the EU, but is not in the EU customs union. This means that it keeps its tariffs synchronised with the EU, but is free to enter into FTAs with other countries. So, for example, Turkey has an FTA with Israel, which the EU does not.
  • Options
    WTO people, WTO. This angels dancing on the head of a pin argument about the 'deal' just so we can keep the EU making more money off us than we do off them is RISIBLE. Exactly the sort of nonsense that made people vote for Brexit in the first place. World piggy bank Britain has to stop whilst we still have a pot to piss in.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,758
    edited December 2016

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Practically speaking there is only one potential downside, I believe, which is that we would be unable to set our tariffs with third countries competitively lower than the EU. However, outside of a customs unions with the EU we would probably BE OBLIGED to set our tariffs to zero or very low, while attracting tariffs on our goods that are the same as the ones third countries give to the EU, or higher.

Tariffs on our imports will be set by our WTO Most Favoured Nation schedules. Third countries are only likely to agree those schedules if they are at least as good as the tariff regime they already incur on trade with us, which they possibly get via a preferential trade agreement with the EU. And under MFN rules you have to give your best tariffs to everyone. On the other hand the third country will give us THEIR MFN tariffs which are possibly higher than those they gave via a preferential trade agreement with the EU. They cannot give the UK lower tariffs under MFN without lowering tariffs for everyone else. Finally, if third countries already get our best tariffs without having to reciprocate they don't have a lot of incentive to do an FTA with us. In any case no-one wants to do them anymore.

I wouldn't however dismiss downsides for Brexit headbangers. There is a lot of rhetoric in it and just explaining all this stuff goes to show how mediocre Brexit will be.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,193
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

and

Turkey is in a customs union with the EU, but is not in the EU customs union. This means that it keeps its tariffs synchronised with the EU, but is free to enter into FTAs with other countries. So, for example, Turkey has an FTA with Israel, which the EU does not.
    But presumably Israel can't export to the EU via Turkey?
  • Options

WTO people, WTO. This angels dancing on the head of a pin argument about the 'deal' just so we can keep the EU making more money off us than we do off them is RISIBLE. Exactly the sort of nonsense that made people vote for Brexit in the first place. World piggy bank Britain has to stop whilst we still have a pot to piss in.

But even if we go WTO, I presume we're still going to remain members of some EU administered programmes, right?

Or is Erasmus or CERN a step too far?
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

and

Of course; that's true of EEA countries too. Switzerland has an FTA with China, and an FTA with the EU. This doesn't mean you can import iPhones into Switzerland and then back out to the UK.
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024
    edited December 2016

the divided states of america is not a reference to the result, it is in the manner of which this election was fought which revealed the deep divisions of america. no one can say that wasn't a divisive campaign. but atleast an MP wasn't shot dead I suppose.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

But even if we go WTO, I presume we're still going to remain members of some EU administered programmes, right?

I don't know enough about either to make an informed judgement on their value, and I can't say that either suggestion intrigues me enough to explore further.
  • Options
    edited December 2016

rcs1000 said:

and

Not in the customs union, but in a customs union with the EU. The difference is subtle, but the latter makes a lot more sense.
  • Options

Am I the only one finding James Wolffe unimpressive ?

Former Dean of Faculty no less. But yes. Richard Kean did an eloquent hatchet job on him yesterday quoting amongst other things a paper by a certain James Wolffe.

With the greatest of respect to him it is really not clear why the Scottish government thought it was useful to intervene in this.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,313

FPTP
  • Options
    If there was a world of zero tarrifs, quotas, import & export restrictions which countries would benefit & which would suffer from the current status quo ?
  • Options
    Mr. Max, but which is Labour proposing?
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

If there was a world of zero tarrifs, quotas, import & export restrictions which countries would benefit & which would suffer from the current status quo ?

Countries which subsidise their industries would do well and countries which import goods and export services would do well.
  • Options

Mr. Max, but which is Labour proposing?

I'm really not sure. I think staying within the customs union.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

There are non-EU members participating in CERN and Erasmus!
  • Options
    nunu said:

the divided states of america is not a reference to the result, it is in the manner of which this election was fought which revealed the deep divisions of america. no one can say that wasn't a divisive campaign. but atleast an MP wasn't shot dead I suppose.
    That's true nunu, but they need to work on their vote-counting!
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

That's exactly my point. My point is that we tend to group all payments to the EU together as one thing (because that's how we pay right now).

Post-Brexit, we'll have a more a la carte menu, and it's highly likely (to my mind) that there are programmes we'll want to stay involved in. Blue_rog mentioned the medicines agency, there's also the European Space Agency, Erasmus, Gallileo, CERN, etc.

Norway actually breaks down how much it pays and for what. Of it's €850m of annual payments to the EU, €450m is to be a member of specific programmes.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

If you believe in free trade the world would benefit. But it's a bit like the arguments for globalisation. There are losers as well as winners. In the UK, farmers would likely be losers. Remaining steel mills as well.

However, it won't be a world of zero tarrifs, quotas, import & export restrictions. If anything it's becoming less of one. When we Brexit we will see more of those barriers from countries we trade with because we leave the EU trading system, including the SIngle Market and the EU FTA portfolio.

• Options
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

That's exactly my point. My point is that we tend to group all payments to the EU together as one thing (because that's how we pay right now).

Post-Brexit, we'll have a more a la carte menu, and it's highly likely (to my mind) that there are programmes we'll want to stay involved in. Blue_rog mentioned the medicines agency, there's also the European Space Agency, Erasmus, Gallileo, CERN, etc.

Norway actually breaks down how much it pays and for what. Of it's €850m of annual payments to the EU, €450m is to be a member of specific programmes.
    And such payments would be a much easier sell for the government than something that looks awfully like a membership fee for something we are no longer a member of.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,370
    MaxPB said:

rcs1000 said:

and

Not in the customs union, but in a customs union with the EU. The difference is subtle, but the latter makes a lot more sense.
    If Tyndall has trouble distinguishing between them what hope Redwood, Cash, Mogg, et al?
  • Options

Mr. NorthWales, I'm not paying attention because the saturation coverage bores me, but it's worth remembering people said the same of Lord Hutton before his conclusions emerged.

I do agree and maybe it is right not to speculate but it is just the impression I had today

• Options
    Right I've decided on my view on the Supreme Court decision - when I was watching yesterday (ill) I thought Sumption was definitely going to find against the government.
    From twitter today it appears he's testing the other side very well indeed. So whichever way he rules, whether for the appellant or government dissenting or majority view is the correct decision.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

and

That is the difference between 'a' customs union and 'the' customs union. As I said the EFTA countries chose to stay outside of the EU customs union.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

and

That is the difference between 'a' customs union and 'the' customs union. As I said the EFTA countries chose to stay outside of the EU customs union.
    We are not in any disagreement, I think :)
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

and

Should be OK. The goods will be checked at the Turkish border and are then good to go anywhere within the EU and Turkey. They can do that because those goods attract the same tariffs as they would have done if they entered by Rotterdam for example. However, if they entered by Norway they would be controlled and attract tariffs when they pass into the EU
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,370
    This discussion about the nuances of the type of customs union is PB Leaving at its finest. Similar to everyone agreeing pre-vote that an EFTA/EEA solution was the right thing and, moreover, was nailed on.

As @Luckyguy1983 says, it's all poncing around on the head of a pin by the intelligentsia. Joe Leaver will have nothing to do with a or the Customs Union. To him, that's not leaving. He wants out and quick.

I am even beginning to have some sympathy for Davis, which is a sentence I never thought I'd write.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

and

That's why Turkey has a car industry and Norway doesn't.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

This discussion about the nuances of the type of customs union is PB Leaving at its finest. Similar to everyone agreeing pre-vote that an EFTA/EEA solution was the right thing and, moreover, was nailed on.

As @Luckyguy1983 says, it's all poncing around on the head of a pin by the intelligentsia. Joe Leaver will have nothing to do with a or the Customs Union. To him, that's not leaving. He wants out and quick.

I am even beginning to have some sympathy for Davis, which is a sentence I never thought I'd write.

David Davis is turning out to be an impressive Minister.
  • Options
    FF43 said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

and

Elon Musk would be delighted if we copied Norway's policies on cars.
  • Options
    Southern suburban services should go to Mayoral control yesterday!

(incidentally, in 2010 the London Bridge to West Croydon and Crystal Palace services did become part of London Overground).
  • Options
    FF43 said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

and

When was the last time Norway had a coup?
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

When push comes to shove, who will have the job of telling the bad news to Joe Leaver? It can only be Boris Johnson, who will immediately have no further purpose and can be pushed out to clear the way for David Davis to become Foreign Secretary with what remains of his department being merged with the FCO.
  • Options

FF43 said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

and

When was the last time Norway had a coup?
    Is that a failed coupé?
This discussion has been closed.