Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Nuttall’s first goal as UKIP leader is winning under first pas

Comments

• Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,519
    edited November 2016
    PAW said:

Hmm... The UPC Agreement is open to accession by any Member State of the European Union. The Agreement is not open to states outside of the European Union.

Not sure it says that in terms but the recitals are clearly based on Regulation (EU) No 1257/2012 and it specifically acknowledges the application of Union law and the possibility of remits to the CJE.

Its an interesting move.

Edit. I am wrong: "Member State" means a Member State of the European Union." From the definition section.

Makes it even more interesting.
  • Options

Great to see Theresa May and the Polish Prime Minister giving a 'live' press conference from No 10 in front of the UK and Polish flags with nowhere in sight the EU flag. Love to see Juncker's face when he see and hears this conference

That's always how Downing Street press conferences are arranged. Look at the example below. As someone who voted Remain it never ceases to amaze me how you take pleasure in such imagined snubs to the EU which exist only in your mind.

Why - I want away from the EU, Junckers et al, and to fly the Union flag and not have to have the EU flag as well
    I think the point is #1 You are wrong. What you are seeing as a change is normal. #2 Your flip from Remainer to bile ridden europhobe is so sudden and extreme it discredits everything you say on the subject.
    Do not be so riduculous. You may not agree with my observations but who are you to act as judge and jury on my comments. Get over yourself
    It's an Internet discussion forum. We are all Jury and Jury of everyone elses comments.
  • Options
    PAWPAW Posts: 1,074
    SouthamObserver mentioned last year that the UPC would be much more like the US system, with patents granted for trivial applications, with the ECJ taking the part of East Texas.

If you think it won't affect you, look at this

https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2016/03/stupid-patent-month-mega-troll-intellectual-ventures-hits-florist-do-it-computer

• Options

Great to see Theresa May and the Polish Prime Minister giving a 'live' press conference from No 10 in front of the UK and Polish flags with nowhere in sight the EU flag. Love to see Juncker's face when he see and hears this conference

That's always how Downing Street press conferences are arranged. Look at the example below. As someone who voted Remain it never ceases to amaze me how you take pleasure in such imagined snubs to the EU which exist only in your mind.

Why - I want away from the EU, Junckers et al, and to fly the Union flag and not have to have the EU flag as well
    I think the point is #1 You are wrong. What you are seeing as a change is normal. #2 Your flip from Remainer to bile ridden europhobe is so sudden and extreme it discredits everything you say on the subject.
    Do not be so riduculous. You may not agree with my observations but who are you to act as judge and jury on my comments. Get over yourself
    Judgment should not be passed on comments from an anonymous bloke by an anonymous bloke on a largely anonymous forum? That's a bit snowflakey safe space.
  • Options
    Mr. Submarine, that's the nice aspect of betting. Whether down to luck or judgement, you're right or wrong and opinion doesn't really come into it.
  • Options
    MarkSeniorMarkSenior Posts: 4,699
    Ah a fantasy thread on how Nuttall will transform a party virtually bankrupt with almost no activists , councillors leaving at the rate of 2 per week and barely able to contest 50% of council by elections and in the ones they do contest they poll less than 10% of the vote .
    Next May will see UKIP losing 70% plus of the councillors that were elected in 2013 .
  • Options

Mr. G., did you see the Polish PM's article in the Telegraph this morning. Long on sentiment and she politely left out the bit where the UK shafted the Poles in 1945/6 to appease the Russians but generally supportive of doing a grown up deal, I thought.
    In as far as the UK shafted the Poles for any reason, it was to protect the Greeks. The reality was that the USSR was in complete control of Poland and there was nothing the UK could practically do about it; there was enough on keeping West Berlin open. But the UK joined (or founded) NATO, which apart from anything else, kept the pressure on the Soviets as regarded their Central and Eastern European client states.
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584
    PAW said:

SouthamObserver mentioned last year that the UPC would be much more like the US system, with patents granted for trivial applications, with the ECJ taking the part of East Texas.

If you think it won't affect you, look at this

https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2016/03/stupid-patent-month-mega-troll-intellectual-ventures-hits-florist-do-it-computer

It's a horrible decision, made by people you don't understand the real situation.

They just believe "more intellectual property = better economy".

• Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,028
    edited November 2016
    F1: strange but true: I have a mystical formula I use (well, formulae really, one positive, one negative) to calculate stake changes from one season to the next.

If I applied it and included the Verstappen tip I'd have to change my stakes to, er, £210. Which I know some of you wealthy fellows might fancy, but it's rather beyond my wallet.

Edited extra bit: if someone had backed that tip with that stake, they would've made £52,500 :dizzy:
  • Options

on topic, surely Nuttall's first goal should be to win more Councillors next May ?

Not really - that's a side issue. His first task should be to work out a coherent message that he can sell to the public in 2020 via both social and traditional media. If the message works, the councillors will follow.
  • Options
    MonksfieldMonksfield Posts: 2,240

Ah a fantasy thread on how Nuttall will transform a party virtually bankrupt with almost no activists , councillors leaving at the rate of 2 per week and barely able to contest 50% of council by elections and in the ones they do contest they poll less than 10% of the vote .
    Next May will see UKIP losing 70% plus of the councillors that were elected in 2013 .

And if they were to win 'seats across the north' let's get the popcorn out for some pretty unprepared MP's. That's not being condescending by the way, it's just an observation based on happenings in the EU Parly and Local Councils.
  • Options

And if they were to win 'seats across the north' let's get the popcorn out for some pretty unprepared MP's. That's not being condescending by the way, it's just an observation based on happenings in the EU Parly and Local Councils.
    And the SNP at Westminster.
  • Options
    MarkSeniorMarkSenior Posts: 4,699

on topic, surely Nuttalls first goal should be to win more Councillors next May ?

They are going to lose around 70% of those elected in 2013 not win more new ones . Indeed 20% of those elected in 2013 have already gone through defections and by election losses .
  • Options
    VerulamiusVerulamius Posts: 1,438

DavidL said:

Well, well, well, well ..,

The UK has indicated it will ratify the Unified Patent Court agreement. That strongly indicates that whatever the rhetoric the UK is seeking a Brexit on the soft side.

I've been looking for that but could not find anything on BBC. Have you got a link?

I agree it is significant and suggests that we want to do what we can to retain single market status.

Here you go ...

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/uk-signals-green-light-to-unified-patent-court-agreement
    N.B. from that press release: 'Notes to Editors: The UPC itself is not an EU institution, it is an international patent court. The judiciary appointed include UK judges.'

What I think it indicates is that the UK government would be happy with an a la carte Brexit.
    Does this mean the London is aiming to keep the pharmaceutical patent court if the UPC is not an EU institution?
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,280

Not really - that's a side issue. His first task should be to work out a coherent message that he can sell to the public in 2020 via both social and traditional media.

Perhaps rebuilding Hadrian's Wall to prevent Europeanism from coming across the border from Scotland? And before you ask, Brussels is going to pay for that wall.
  • Options

on topic, surely Nuttall's first goal should be to win more Councillors next May ?

Not really - that's a side issue. His first task should be to work out a coherent message that he can sell to the public in 2020 via both social and traditional media. If the message works, the councillors will follow.
    Very difficult to do unless you can work out what the government's position is going to be (and good luck with that).
  • Options
    The UPC thinks it is an EU institution - "The Agreement is not open to states outside of the European Union."
  • Options
    SpeedySpeedy Posts: 12,100
    I don't know if Nutall can stabilize UKIP internally, not even Farage managed to do it.
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098
    edited November 2016

Mr. G., did you see the Polish PM's article in the Telegraph this morning. Long on sentiment and she politely left out the bit where the UK shafted the Poles in 1945/6 to appease the Russians but generally supportive of doing a grown up deal, I thought.
    In as far as the UK shafted the Poles for any reason, it was to protect the Greeks. The reality was that the USSR was in complete control of Poland and there was nothing the UK could practically do about it; there was enough on keeping West Berlin open. But the UK joined (or founded) NATO, which apart from anything else, kept the pressure on the Soviets as regarded their Central and Eastern European client states.
    Fair enough, Mr Herdson, now explain to me the exclusion of the Poles from the Victory Parade. Well, you might say, just a parade nothing important about it, a mere bit of ceremonial. Except the the Poles who fought on our side, equipped by us, commanded by us on land, sea and air (including a whole sodding armoured division) were excluded from that parade.

Trivia, maybe, but there are lot of Poles who still remember and care and I for one still feel ashamed when I think of how we treated those servicemen and women.
  • Options
    SpeedySpeedy Posts: 12,100
    edited November 2016
    2 stories that should concern people, coming out of america:

Hackers hold San Francisco for ransom:
    https://twitter.com/hradzka/status/803061026375790592

Trump asks Don King and Fabio for advice over the selection of Secretary of State:
    https://twitter.com/BraddJaffy/status/802995749009190912
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    PAW said:

The UPC thinks it is an EU institution - "The Agreement is not open to states outside of the European Union."

That's a very significant phrase given that we've decided to ratify it. Brexit means remaining in the European Union?

Quite a good summary here - http://www.seppolaine.fi/en/english-brexit-and-the-unified-patent-court-upc/
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,533
    Well we may be under the EU yoke patents-wise but I for one am looking forward to a reduction in my VAT bill when the government zero rates home energy supplies.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548

on topic, surely Nuttalls first goal should be to win more Councillors next May ?

Councillors are elected (or defeated) by FPTP surely?
  • Options
    I have just put up our Christmas Tree and the twinkling lights and the thought that Christmas is just a few weeks away makes you reflect and look in amazement at the geo politics over the last eighteen months. No one can tell how the next 18 months will pan out but I would like to wish everyone on this great forum a happy Christmas for when it comes and hope that 2017 will provide lots of good and successful betting opportunities to the majority of you who enjoy your betting
  • Options

PAW said:

That's a very significant phrase given that we've decided to ratify it. Brexit means remaining in the European Union?

Quite a good summary here - http://www.seppolaine.fi/en/english-brexit-and-the-unified-patent-court-upc/
    Do please read the whole press release. It clearly states:
    "The UK has been working with partners in Europe to develop this option... We will seek the best deal possible as we negotiate a new agreement with the European Union. We want that deal to reflect the kind of mature, cooperative relationship that close friends and allies enjoy. We want it to involve free trade, in goods and services. We want it to give British companies the maximum freedom to trade with and operate in the Single Market - and let European businesses do the same in the UK.
    But the decision to proceed with ratification should not be seen as pre-empting the UK’s objectives or position in the forthcoming negotiations with the EU."

That last line is why I said UKG are going for a la carte Brexit. We will keep working on the things that are in the mutual interest and hope that grown up negotiations will allow them to continue after Brexit. It also highlights for our partners what they'd be missing out on if they start throwing babies out with bathwater.
  • Options

We will keep working on the things that are in the mutual interest and hope that grown up negotiations will allow them to continue after Brexit.

Absolutely correct, except that the grown up negotiations that we're hoping for will be conducted with the Brexiteers rather than the European Union, until out of fatigue they give up and realise that it doesn't make sense to leave.
  • Options

PAW said:

No, new safeguards will need to be added to ensure the UK remains a UPC member post-Brexit. The key thing here is that we are handing sovereignty to foreign courts and the ECJ.

• Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,384
    edited November 2016

Fair enough, Mr Herdson, now explain to me the exclusion of the Poles from the Victory Parade. Well, you might say, just a parade nothing important about it, a mere bit of ceremonial. Except the the Poles who fought on our side, equipped by us, commanded by us on land, sea and air (including a whole sodding armoured division) were excluded from that parade.

Trivia, maybe, but there are lot of Poles who still remember and care and I for one still feel ashamed when I think of how we treated those servicemen and women.
    Wasn't there some obstruction to UK war pensions being paid to Polish ex-servicemen also?

The commander of the Polish armoured division, General Maczek, ended up as a hotel barman in Edinburgh. My dad said he tended to avoid that particular hostelry as he felt shamefaced about being served by someone of that stature; bit like getting your milk stout poured by Guderian I'd imagine.
  • Options
    How and when is the ECJ appeal court, if the UPC is itself a court?
  • Options
    The key thing here is that we are handing sovereignty to patent trolls in Eastern Europe.
  • Options

PAW said:

No, new safeguards will need to be added to ensure the UK remains a UPC member post-Brexit. The key thing here is that we are handing sovereignty to foreign courts and the ECJ.

It's not about sovereignty any more than is membership of the WTO. You accept supranational jurisdiction in a specific area - trade or patents - in return for mutually agreed rules.
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,960

I have just put up our Christmas Tree and the twinkling lights and the thought that Christmas is just a few weeks away makes you reflect and look in amazement at the geo politics over the last eighteen months. No one can tell how the next 18 months will pan out but I would like to wish everyone on this great forum a happy Christmas for when it comes and hope that 2017 will provide lots of good and successful betting opportunities to the majority of you who enjoy your betting

The same to you and yours, Mr G!
  • Options
    rural_voterrural_voter Posts: 2,038
    TOPPING said:

Well we may be under the EU yoke patents-wise but I for one am looking forward to a reduction in my VAT bill when the government zero rates home energy supplies.

It won't make much difference ... wholesale prices of gas and elec. are on the way up.

One supplier's gone bust as a result, well not sure if technically insolvent but it's certainly ceased trading and grabbed money from accounts of some customers who'd signed a direct debit according to You & Yours.

Private Eye predicted supplier failures a month or so ago. There are probably more to come.

Why a natural monopoly delivered to our home by pipe or wire can't be vertically-reintegrated and regulated like water still is - one regional supplier, one tariff and price controls - I don't know.

5% is minimal when wholesale prices have risen by 30%. Margins reportedly doubled when it was de-regulated/2002.
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    Scott_P said:
    Well she is good at showing respect, as I recall.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    Rather convenient that something so sensitive is so clearly on display - one has to wonder why.
  • Options
    F1: interesting extra Hamilton specials on Ladbrokes.

17 to *not* drive for Mercedes next year. Same as his odds for 7 world titles.
  • Options

PAW said:

Congratulations. You must be delighted.
  • Options

*thinks about making a curmudgeonly comment about people who put their Christmas tree up too early and rejects it*

Merry Christmas.
  • Options
    MP_SEMP_SE Posts: 3,642
    edited November 2016
    Edit: Ohio shooting/stabbing suspect is supposedly dead so not sure who is in the handcuffs.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Scott_P said:
    Castro wasn't left wing enough for our Jezza.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,093

Scott_P said:
    Rather convenient that something so sensitive is so clearly on display - one has to wonder why.
    Guido has it transcribed http://order-order.com/2016/11/28/downing-street-brexit-notes-transcribed/
  • Options
    DavidL said:

*thinks about making a curmudgeonly comment about people who put their Christmas tree up too early and rejects it*

Merry Christmas.
    I'm with your first comment. 28th Nov! Ridiculous, indeed, would be made illegal when I become PM.
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    Could be fireworks or could be nothing much:
    https://twitter.com/GuidoFawkes/status/803293467900313600
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Merry Christmas.
    Thats what happens when you are retired, your grandchildren have just gone to Center Parcs, and will expect to see our Christmas tree etc when they come home on friday.

Merry Christmas
  • Options

Scott_P said:
    It looks like this document actually says on RHS: "What's the model? Have cake and eat it"
  • Options
    That note definitely looks like Doorbells And Sleighbells And Schnitzel With Noodles Brexit.

I assume it's for public consumption. You have to hope that they've got a bit further with their thinking than that behind closed doors.
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    DavidL said:

Scott_P said:
    She'd look rotten in a sombrero without her begging bowl.
  • Options
    edited November 2016

How and when is the ECJ appeal court, if the UPC is itself a court?
    The Agreement acknowledges the role of the CJE as guardian of EU law and allows references by the Court when issues of the construction of EU law arises. This will of course continue to apply to EU law as it develops after our departure so it is a pretty big thing.
  • Options

That note definitely looks like Doorbells And Sleighbells And Schnitzel With Noodles Brexit.

I assume it's for public consumption. You have to hope that they've got a bit further with their thinking than that behind closed doors.

LOL. Yeh, right.
  • Options
    MikeK said:

DavidL said:

Scott_P said:
    She'd look rotten in a sombrero without her begging bowl.
    She always looks rotten. A truly odious woman.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,022
    Speedy said:

2 stories that should concern people, coming out of america:

Hackers hold San Francisco for ransom:

You think they would have a backup of all their data so that they could tell the hackers to do one.
  • Options
    I wonder who had the really fun job of explaining to Corbyn that he really couldn't go to his hero's funeral? Bet that was a short straw job.
  • Options
    For anyone interested in how the future is being made, this interview is a treat:

http://www.theverge.com/a/verge-2021/marc-andreessen-horowitz-verge-interview

An optimist speaks!
  • Options

PAW said:

Not particularly. In the real world this is the kind of thing that happens if you want to maximise trading opportunities.

• Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,252
    DavidL said:

I wonder who had the really fun job of explaining to Corbyn that he really couldn't go to his hero's funeral? Bet that was a short straw job.

You have all the proof you need that the NHS is such a religion to some on the Left, when the fact that a country has an apparently OK health service is seen as sufficient to excuse the fact that the country is a poor one run by a dictator where all forms of human rights are simply ignored, anyone protesting is locked up, killed or tortured and many thousands of its people want to flee.

It reminds me of the old joke about Communism: A visitor to the Soviet Union is told that the revolution is a bit like an omelette. To get it you have to break some eggs. The visitor listens carefully then replies: "I understand. I see the broken eggs. But where is the omelette?"

When you're in the grip of an ideology - whether Communism or ISIS or Catholicism during the time of the Inquisition - there is no limit to the amount of murder, torture, vileness and other evil you will justify so long as it is done in the name of your ideology or to achieve your ideological goals. Such people often claim to be principled but in reality they are the most unprincipled of all.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Perhaps he was too overcome with emotion to face the journey?
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

DavidL said:

You have all the proof you need that the NHS is such a religion to some on the Left, when the fact that a country has an apparently OK health service is seen as sufficient to excuse the fact that the country is a poor one run by a dictator where all forms of human rights are simply ignored, anyone protesting is locked up, killed or tortured and many thousands of its people want to flee.
    It reminds me of the old joke about Communism: A visitor to the Soviet Union is told that the revolution is a bit like an omelette. To get it you have to break some eggs. The visitor listens carefully then replies: "I understand. I see the broken eggs. But where is the omelette?"
    My favourite joke from Reagan.
    An American dog, a Polish dog and a Soviet dog sit together. The American dog says 'In my country if you bark long enough, you will be heard and given some meat', the Polish dog replies 'What is "meat"?' and the Soviet dog says 'What is "bark"?'.
  • Options
    mattmatt Posts: 3,789
    DavidL said:

Merry Christmas.
    Makes curmudgeonly comment. It's November. It's one thing in window of Brown Thomas another entirely in one's house.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

DavidL said:

When you're in the grip of an ideology - whether Communism or ISIS or Catholicism during the time of the Inquisition - there is no limit to the amount of murder, torture, vileness and other evil you will justify so long as it is done in the name of your ideology or to achieve your ideological goals. Such people often claim to be principled but in reality they are the most unprincipled of all.
    Quite. And the rank hypocrisy of those that agitate about a Pinochet but condone a Castro (or vice versa ) turns my stomach too. The world is sadly full of vicious murdering bastards but on the death of Castro that number was at least reduced by one.
  • Options

PAW said:

Not particularly. In the real world this is the kind of thing that happens if you want to maximise trading opportunities.

Don't burst any bubbles. PB Leavers were enjoying their time in control until the real world intruded.
  • Options
    matt said:

DavidL said:

Merry Christmas.
    Makes curmudgeonly comment. It's November. It's one thing in window of Brown Thomas another entirely in one's house.
    Oh chill. It is the season to be joyful (almost).
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    Cyclefree said:

DavidL said:

The supposedly wonderful Cuban Health System is unsurprisingly largely a myth. Modern pharmaceuticals are in short supply, sometimes even staples like antibiotics and asprin. Cuba sends doctors abroad, but mostly in search of Forex. The ones that I have met in africa were rather patchy in thei skills to put it politely. Cuba has good adult longevity, but mostly because of restricted diet and lots of exercise due to fuel shortages. The Cuban diet is rather like 1940s Britain, healthy but rather spartan.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    Nuttall must be tempted to stand in Hartlepool at the next election.
  • Options

We will keep working on the things that are in the mutual interest and hope that grown up negotiations will allow them to continue after Brexit.

Absolutely correct, except that the grown up negotiations that we're hoping for will be conducted with the Brexiteers rather than the European Union, until out of fatigue they give up and realise that it doesn't make sense to leave.
    LOL. You really do live in a fantasy world don't you William
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

DavidL said:

The supposedly wonderful Cuban Health System is unsurprisingly largely a myth. Modern pharmaceuticals are in short supply, sometimes even staples like antibiotics and asprin. Cuba sends doctors abroad, but mostly in search of Forex. The ones that I have met in africa were rather patchy in thei skills to put it politely. Cuba has good adult longevity, but mostly because of restricted diet and lots of exercise due to fuel shortages. The Cuban diet is rather like 1940s Britain, healthy but rather spartan.
    You took your skills to Africa? Now that is truly worthy of respect. *doffs metaphorical hat*.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,028

Well everybody wants to have their cake and eat it. ..
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024
    The history of the Democrats.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6R0NvVr164
  • Options

The fantasy world is inhabited entirely by Leavers. Here we seem to have a bolted on example of us "giving up sovereignty" because the people negotiating and deciding are not morons. Thank goodness.

And there will be more of this.

And there will you be with your VAT on fuel (unchanged) and your droite de suite.
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

DavidL said:

I had heard that it wasn't all it was cracked up to be. But it's interesting that it's the one thing that those on the Left who hold up Cuba as a model always mention - the health service. If that is the only thing that socialism or even social democracy is reduced to - holding up a second or third rate health service as the be-all and end-all of politics - (and, judging by the way Labour goes on about it, it sometimes feels that way) - then it deserves to die.

Turning a health service into the secular version of the Holy Trinity risks making it practically impossible to create an effective way of delivering health care to all in the 21st century.

One of my friends went to Cuba last year and was so bored by the tedious diet - every meal was the same, whatever it was called - that the minute he and his wife came home they went out for the hottest curry they could find simply to enjoy eating food that tasted of something.

• Options
    BigRichBigRich Posts: 3,489
    Talking of UKIP and their, potential to pick up votes from Labour made me think and revisit my spreadsheet of 2015 GR results.

I understand that according to exit poling 37% of 2015 Lab voters voted to leave, so what would happen if they all voted UKIP and nothing else changed?

(Not a likely situation to dictionary for lots of reasons, not lease the boundary changes but hear goes)

UKIP pick up 112 Lab + 2 Con Total = 115
    Con Pick up 49 Lab - 2 to UKIP Total = 378
    SNP Pick up 1 Lab Total = 57
    LD Pick up 4 Lab Total = 12
    PC pick up 1 Lab Total = 4
    Green Pick up 1 Lab Total = 2
    Lab left with 63! Total = 63

So Lab just holding on to 3rd place above SNP.

P.S. I haven't double checked all constituencies so could be slightly out, but probably not more than by 1 or 2.
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    edited November 2016
    Evening all.

I’d have thought Corbyn would have jumped at the chance to attend Castro’s funeral, but politics is politics and I’m sure the Shadow foreign secretary, Emily Thornberry will do her constituents proud.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,843
    Scott_P said:
    Assuming it's a genuine picture, it's definitely a plant. No-one in the know would present information in that very succinct and photographiable form, if they were just carrying it around between meetings. Either the cabinet (ie Theresa May) has come to a negotiating position and has got the spin doctors onto it so she can present a deniable "running commentary", or there is no decision and someone is trying to push an agenda through the media.
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    edited November 2016
    TOPPING said:

The fantasy world is inhabited entirely by Leavers. Here we seem to have a bolted on example of us "giving up sovereignty" because the people negotiating and deciding are not morons. Thank goodness.
    My understanding is that the UPC Agreement involves the 25 EU countries who initially drafted it, all must agree to ratify, including the UK, or the agreement which has taken 2 years to get to this stage, will be scrapped. It would appear the Government is being quite grown up imho in allowing the agreement to proceed for the sake of the other 24 countries.

However, the UPC Agreement is not open to states outside of the EU. If the post Brexit negotiations allow non-member states to be covered by the UPC, then that will be our decision to remain, if no agreement can be made, then we'lll be out of the UPC automatically.
  • Options
    BigRich said:

Talking of UKIP and their, potential to pick up votes from Labour made me think and revisit my spreadsheet of 2015 GR results.

I understand that according to exit poling 37% of 2015 Lab voters voted to leave, so what would happen if they all voted UKIP and nothing else changed?

(Not a likely situation to dictionary for lots of reasons, not lease the boundary changes but hear goes)

UKIP pick up 112 Lab + 2 Con Total = 115
    Con Pick up 49 Lab - 2 to UKIP Total = 378
    SNP Pick up 1 Lab Total = 57
    LD Pick up 4 Lab Total = 12
    PC pick up 1 Lab Total = 4
    Green Pick up 1 Lab Total = 2
    Lab left with 63! Total = 63

So Lab just holding on to 3rd place above SNP.

P.S. I haven't double checked all constituencies so could be slightly out, but probably not more than by 1 or 2.

I suppose we can all dream.
    How many of the 115 would still be there after a year or two?
    See below for what has actually happened.
    "Indeed 20% of those elected in 2013 have already gone through defections and by election losses ."
    Also consider former UKIP MEPs and what happened to them.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,221
    "Shortlist" of 16 for SPOTY about to be revealed on The One Show.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Nuttall must be tempted to stand in Hartlepool at the next election.

The electorate seems to quite like keeping UKIP leaders out of Parliament mind
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

Is anybody seriously betting against Andy Murray?
  • Options
    DavidL said:

tlg86 said:

I'm on Trott and Kenny - but I see their prices are a lot longer now than when I backed them :(
  • Options

TOPPING said:

My understanding is that the UPC Agreement involves the 25 EU countries who initially drafted it, all must agree to ratify, including the UK, or the agreement which has taken 2 years to get to this stage, will be scrapped. It would appear the Government is being quite grown up imho in allowing the agreement to proceed for the sake of the other 24 countries.

However, the UPC Agreement is not open to states outside of the EU. If the post Brexit negotiations allow non-member states to be covered by the UPC, then that will be our decision to remain, if no agreement can be made, then we'lll be out of the UPC automatically.
    Please don't try using logic and reason with people like Topping. They are unable to understand either when it comes to their beloved EU.
  • Options
    Jamie Vardy nominated is a bit odd.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

tlg86 said:

It's never been an award that gets won multiple times though. IMHO he shouldn't have won it last year as Davis Cup apart he had a fairly moderate year by his standards. I thought Jess Ennis deserved it last year, it's a bit of a travesty that Zara apart, no woman has won since 2002.
  • Options
    Saving the best till last.....
  • Options
    BBC clearly setting this up as Murray v the Kennys
  • Options
    edited November 2016

TOPPING said:

It looks a ripe candidate for a fudge. A sensible one because it would be ridiculous for us to ratify pour les autres, and then absent ourselves afterwards.

What I think many especially PB Leavers fail to grasp is that although attractive, the concept of reclaiming control and sovereignty is, in today's world, just that, a concept, an abstract wish. When such concepts hit real world practicalities and actual decisions involving the benefit or harm to our country, it appears from this decision, that we will choose benefit for our country. And rightly so, in my opinion.

All the PB Brexit Don Quixotes can tilt as much as they want but the windmill ends up being a pretty sturdy beast.

To absent ourselves once we've left the EU from this seems for all the world that it would mean a confused and costly patent regime in the UK. But of course that is a question for @SouthamObserver .
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

BBC clearly setting this up as Murray v the Kennys

The Kenny vote will be split!
  • Options

TOPPING said:

Please don't try using logic and reason with people like Topping. They are unable to understand either when it comes to their beloved EU.
    It's not my beloved EU, you dolt. It is my pragmatic view of real world interactions between nations. Something that of course children don't want to understand.
  • Options

DavidL said:

tlg86 said:

It's never been an award that gets won multiple times though. IMHO he shouldn't have won it last year as Davis Cup apart he had a fairly moderate year by his standards. I thought Jess Ennis deserved it last year, it's a bit of a travesty that Zara apart, no woman has won since 2002.
    Here's hoping people see it that way. I know Murray is an Olympic gold medallist, but it's not like it's the pinnacle of his sport. You have to go back to 1996 for the last time a non "proper" olympian didn't win SPOTY - and Damon Hill was loved a lot more than Andy Murray.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,913
    Donald Trump says that many people think that Nigel Farage should be SPOTY.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

It looks a ripe candidate for a fudge. A sensible one because it would be ridiculous for us to ratify pour les autres, and then absent ourselves afterwards.

What I think many especially PB Leavers fail to grasp is that although attractive, the concept of reclaiming control and sovereignty is, in today's world, just that, a concept, an abstract wish. When such concepts hit real world practicalities and actual decisions involving the benefit or harm to our country, it appears from this decision, that we will choose benefit for our country. And rightly so, in my opinion.

All the PB Brexit Don Quixotes can tilt as much as they want but the windmill ends up being a pretty sturdy beast.

To absent ourselves once we've left the EU from this seems for all the world that it would mean a confused and costly patent regime in the UK. But of course that is a question for @SouthamObserver .
    It is right that "we will choose benefit for our country." But the key phrase is "we will choose".

• Options
    edited November 2016
    You would think winning the Tour De France would get you a nomination for SPOTY. But no.

Possibly good news for Trott and Kenny - more cycling votes for them. Well done BBC!
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

DavidL said:

tlg86 said:

Here's hoping people see it that way. I know Murray is an Olympic gold medallist, but it's not like it's the pinnacle of his sport. You have to go back to 1996 for the last time a non "proper" olympian didn't win SPOTY - and Damon Hill was loved a lot more than Andy Murray.
    Considering he's our first World Number One in decades I'd think it's safe to say he is the pinnacle of his sport.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Donald Trump says that many people think that Nigel Farage should be SPOTY.

Special Politician Of The Year?
  • Options

tlg86 said:

DavidL said:

tlg86 said:

Considering he's our first World Number One in decades I'd think it's safe to say he is the pinnacle of his sport.
    Sorry, the point I was making is that Murray (I hope) isn't considered a proper Olympian. I don't disagree he is fantastic, but the Olympians like Trott and Kenny get one shot at glory every four years.
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    Cyclefree said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

to leave.
    The fantasy world is inhabited.
    My u

It is right that "we will choose benefit for our country." But the key phrase is "we will choose".

This is part of the fantasy. We chose to become a member of the EU and successive democratically-elected governments chose to integrate more closely. We were always sovereign as was magnificently proven on June 23rd.

Even the immigration thing we chose, because we thought that it would benefit our country to sign up to that particular clause. Now of course, there are arguments and discussions about what high levels of immigration have done, and to whom. And that's fine.

But the sovereignty thing is a fantasy. The first trade deal we do in our brave new world will necessarily give up some degree of sovereignty. Because that's what deals are all about.

So you saying "but we will choose" is trivial because of course we will choose, we always have chosen (some things at the tactical, others at the strategic level). So here, it seems that "we will choose" to have the ECJ rule over us on patents. Just as it would have done if we had remained a member of the EU.

Your "we will choose" might be (almost certainly is) @Tyndall's "oppressive yoke of EU unelected judges".
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,022
    TOPPING said:

This is part of the fantasy. We chose to become a member of the EU and successive democratically-elected governments chose to integrate more closely. We were always sovereign as was magnificently proven on June 23rd.

Implying that every British government agreed with every bit of political integration. With QMV that just isn't the case.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

Jamie Vardy nominated is a bit odd.

Why?
This discussion has been closed.