Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » And now what you really wanted to know about LEAVE and REMAIN

13»

Comments

• Options

The Daily Mail has supported fascism for over 80 years now , Dacre is simply continuing that editorial policy .

Jenny Tonge also has some, shall we say, "interesting" views regarding the Jews....
  • Options

The £122 billion "cost" of Brexit isn't perhaps the killer line some Remainers think it is.

If one was being sheer bloody minded about it, one could counterargue that saving £7bn a year of net EU contributions means the UK would be in profit on Brexit by 2037, increasing year-after-year thereon after. So it's an investment.

But that would be almost as silly.

£8.5 billion net in 2015!
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095

Funny, I don't remember the outrage bus stopping on the right side of the road when Paul Dacre was labelling judges "enemies of the people" for having the temerity to perform their job in the way that he didn't like.

Is anyone outraged? Two of the most deeply dislikeable people in British public life are having a go at each other - entertained is surely nearer the mark.
    Dacre was a big friend of Gordon Brown.. nuff said
  • Options
    BromptonautBromptonaut Posts: 1,113

@Pulpstar The sting of Alastair Campbell's jibe is not that Paul Dacre is a murderer but that his worldview is closer to that of a murderous far right extremist than his Labour MP victim. Fair comment is a defence to libel provided the view is honestly held, no matter how prejudiced the view might be. Whether this is fair comment or a statement of fact is, I would have thought, up for discussion. Given the Mail's article on the possible motivations of Thomas Mair today, I would not particularly care to take up the cudgels on Paul Dacre's behalf.

Alastair Campbell has always had a visceral hatred for Paul Dacre and I don't much care for the reasons why. What happened to Jo Cox was tragic but thankfully extremely rare. I wish people would stop using it for political purposes.
    As was the murder of Lee Rigby.
  • Options
    OllyTOllyT Posts: 4,913

The Daily Mail has supported fascism for over 80 years now , Dacre is simply continuing that editorial policy .

You think it might have learnt its lesson in the 30's.
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549

Jenny Tonge also has some, shall we say, "interesting" views regarding the Jews....
    Israelis. The two are not the same however some may try to make it so.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,465
    I don't like the Daily Mail particularly, so I don't buy it.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548

The £122 billion "cost" of Brexit isn't perhaps the killer line some Remainers think it is.

If one was being sheer bloody minded about it, one could counterargue that saving £7bn a year of net EU contributions means the UK would be in profit on Brexit by 2037, increasing year-after-year thereon after. So it's an investment.

That would only be true if the rate of economic growth increases as a result of Brexit. If it remains the same as pre-brexit the gap will never close, just as I can never catch up with my brothers age.
  • Options

PAW said:

I lost interest in the IFS after a spokeman sounded off on the BBC that the IFS had identified a small shortfall in the funding of a government department (not an important one), which if left uncorrected for a few decades would add up to not very much at all.

On some issues the IFS is more left wing than Labour. For example they think that all inheritance should be taxed and there should be no Nil Rate Band.
    Actually, so does Portillo. In fact, his argument is quite sound coming from the Right.

Portillo says that Income Tax is tax on Earnings. Therefore, should be taxed a lower rate.

Inheritance tax is unearned. Therefore, to try and equalise opportunity as far as possible, it should be taxed at a higher rate thereby making the field slightly more towards level.
  • Options
    GeoffMGeoffM Posts: 6,071

That would only be true if the rate of economic growth increases as a result of Brexit. If it remains the same as pre-brexit the gap will never close, just as I can never catch up with my brothers age.
    You do if he gets hit by a car. Your assumption is that the EU survives.
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549
    tlg86 said:

The Daily Mail story is no different to the backlash articles that appear on the Guardian website hours after a Muslim nut job has killed a load of people in France.

Or the "not a real Muslim because" articles that always appear after Islamist terrorist attacks, even the Archbishop of Canterbury has said that that's nonsense.
  • Options
    The IFS has a well-deserved reputation for presenting without prejudice the factual reality of Government budgets, cutting through the smoke and mirrors with which governments employ to try and obscure those facts. So I haven't stopped listening to them, and in fact I always reserve judgement until I've seen what they have to say. They've pointed out today the reality that the Autumn Statement has confirmed the stagnation of real wages for a decade now. That is an inconvenient truth, and it is quite sad that the reaction here to it is to trash the IFS.
  • Options
    Thank God. UKIP supporters weren't asked how often they took a shower.
  • Options
    MP_SEMP_SE Posts: 3,642
    surbiton said:

Israelis. The two are not the same however some may try to make it so.
    Na, she is anti-Semitic as evidenced by her support for conspiracy theories involving Jews. She has long hid behind opposing Israel/Zionists but like most bigots the mask eventually slipped.
  • Options
    tysontyson Posts: 6,050
    I decided that Brexiters are full on recliners on long haul flights and Remainers non recliners...but the not changing your pants...I can take that too. Not only are Brexiters selfish mofos...but they are dirty little bastards too....
  • Options

No, all things being equal it would be true. In other words, if the rate of economic growth of the UK either outside or inside the EU is the same, because of the saved net contributions.

If the argument is that economic growth will be materially and permanently lower as a result of Brexit, then it wouldn't be true.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607

The IFS has a well-deserved reputation for presenting without prejudice the factual reality of Government budgets, cutting through the smoke and mirrors with which governments employ to try and obscure those facts. So I haven't stopped listening to them, and in fact I always reserve judgement until I've seen what they have to say. They've pointed out today the reality that the Autumn Statement has confirmed the stagnation of real wages for a decade now. That is an inconvenient truth, and it is quite sad that the reaction here to it is to trash the IFS.

They had a hard won reputation, it is now getting trashed because Paul Johnson isn't able to keep his mouth shut. The IFS used to present data and let people draw their own conclusions, not lead the conversation themselves as that would mean someone's agenda will be there.
  • Options
    PAWPAW Posts: 1,074
    foxinsoxuk - but the OBR prdeict a slower growth in the next two years, while we are still in the EU, and then a pickup when we finally leave?
  • Options
    rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,908

PAW said:

I lost interest in the IFS after a spokeman sounded off on the BBC that the IFS had identified a small shortfall in the funding of a government department (not an important one), which if left uncorrected for a few decades would add up to not very much at all.

On some issues the IFS is more left wing than Labour. For example they think that all inheritance should be taxed and there should be no Nil Rate Band.
    The IFS does a good job of being politically independent for the most part and does great work explaining complicated government finance and tax policies.

It helps non-experts out for when the politicians are lying/hiding behind statistical sophistry e.g. when Cameron and Osborne claimed a higher national minimum wage would leave poor working families better off given tax credit changes or when Labour claimed they had set out their plans for how to reduce the deficit.

Their paper on inheritance tax pointed out that it would be logical either to abolish it... or to extend it.... but that in it's current form it's too easy to avoid/has too many loopholes. That seems perfectly reasonable and non-partisan to me- they're simply saying if your objective is x... this isn't achieving it.

https://www.ifs.org.uk/publications/7164
  • Options
    Moses_Moses_ Posts: 4,865
    I find it rather disconcerting seeing the terms "weighted sample" and "pants/ knickers" in the same data sub set
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    edited November 2016

They've pointed out today the reality that the Autumn Statement has confirmed the stagnation of real wages for a decade now. That is an inconvenient truth, and it is quite sad that the reaction here to it is to trash the IFS.

It's a selected timespan though. If the timespan is changed, the outcome changes.

It's also the case that comparing gross pay and take home pay to living costs will produce different outcomes.

It often feels that the IFS, and many organisations of their ilk, are desperate for a headline.
  • Options
    DromedaryDromedary Posts: 1,194
    edited November 2016
    Sounds like a great job. Call someone up. Ask them "Which party do you support? And how often do you change your underwear?"

According to this historic poll, Leavites (19%) are nearly twice as likely as Remainers (11%) to wear their underwear for a second day! I always knew they were a bunch of dirty b*stards! :)

As for the party breakdown: UKIP 21% (disgusting!), Tories (15%) (not much better!), Labour and Lib Dems (13%) (mostly genteel and sweet-smelling). And the prize for the only party that registers on the scale for having some of its supporters who don't change their underpants or knickers for 10 days goes to... Is this why people call them "Kippers"?
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929
    surbiton said:

Inheritance tax is unearned.

So is most of the equity in your house.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929
    https://twitter.com/Redistrict/status/801816888984686592

David Wasserman puts the conspiracy loons in their place.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,969
    Dromedary said:

According to this historic poll, Leavites (19%) are nearly twice as likely as Remainers (11%) to wear their underwear for a second day! I always knew they were a bunch of dirty b*stards! :)

Probably a link to being less well off, not owning washing facilities and having to go to the laundrette.
  • Options
    tysontyson Posts: 6,050
    GeoffM said:

You do if he gets hit by a car. Your assumption is that the EU survives.
    That's the last sad and pathetically nihilistic hope of the Brexiters...that the EU implodes...and then you can say "I told you so"

Hardly inspiring....
  • Options
    TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362
    edited November 2016
    tyson said:

I decided that Brexiters are full on recliners on long haul flights and Remainers non recliners...but the not changing your pants...I can take that too. Not only are Brexiters selfish mofos...but they are dirty little bastards too....
    LOL - You do make me laugh sometimes.
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    Another washed out thread!

If you must know I wash my condoms after every use. ;)
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    Will Le Pen win?

The TV debate between the last two candidates left in the race will be held in the final fortnight. It has to be: it can't happen before their identities are known. Of course if a candidate wins the first round (R1) outright they become the president and there's no debate.

If Le Pen ends up winning R2, those 14 days will be likely to have been a breathless and memorable time in France.

These are the indicators I will be looking out for before R1:

1) FREXIT:

articles in the big French media, or statements made by leading French figures whether in politics or other spheres,

a) advocating Frexit;

b) discussing it as a significant possibility;

2) SUPPORT FROM LEADING FIGURES OUTSIDE OF HER PARTY, explicit or otherwise:

a) inside France, where unlike under her father Jean-Marie the party now has quite a big border zone; I will be watching for what Dieudonné M'bala M'bala says, for example, and for statements by religious, military or security figures;

b) outside France - for example, statements by Donald Trump, Vladimir Putin, etc.; or the involvement of Breitbart in the game in a big way

3) PERCEIVED FEASIBILITY:

"financial, business and diplomatic circles have come to terms with the possibility of a Le Pen presidency" - that kind of statement

4) HER KIND OF NEWS STORY

Stories involving terrorism or Arabs that incite a strong reaction that helps her to paint her type of nationalism as necessary for dealing with the country's problems: the stories could be so big that they are reported by almost everyone right away, or initially they could be pushed mainly by e.g. Pamela Geller and Breitbart, as was the Cologne New Year's Eve assaults story

5) POLLS

If she is going to win I would expect her to have reached or exceeded a predicted R1 40% in at least one serious poll at some time.

• Options
    welshowlwelshowl Posts: 4,460
    tyson said:

tyson said:

Maybe they pull more often and have to do "the walk of shame" home in yesterday's garments before luxuriously bathing, changing, and reflecting on the previous night's antics.

We can interpret this data at will
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    welshowl said:

tyson said:

Maybe they pull more often and have to do "the walk of shame" home in yesterday's garments before luxuriously bathing, changing, and reflecting on the previous night's antics.

That's a beautiful piece of interpretative work, but how would the 6% of Kippers who wear their underwear three or more days running manage to pull on the second night?

Also let's not forget the "not applicables": UKIP 9%; no other party more than 3%. Do they go commando or what?

I used to eschew the term "Kipper" because I thought it sounded too cuddly, but after YouGov's sterling work with this poll it seems more apt.
  • Options
    MikeK said:

Another washed out thread!

If you must know I wash my condoms after every use. ;)

If you turn them inside out you get double the use as well.

Also, with the ribs on the inside you get to keep the extra pleasure for yourself.
  • Options
    surbiton said:

Inheritance tax is unearned.

Pulpstar said:

So is most of the equity in your house.

So was most of my salary this afternoon.
  • Options
    welshowlwelshowl Posts: 4,460
    Dromedary said:

welshowl said:

tyson said:

That's a beautiful piece of interpretative work, but how would the 6% of Kippers who wear their underwear three or more days running manage to pull on the second night?

Also let's not forget the "not applicables": UKIP 9%; no other party more than 3%. Do they go commando or what?

I used to eschew the term "Kipper" because I thought it sounded too cuddly, but after YouGov's sterling work with this poll it seems more apt.
    There's not enough mind bleach.......
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    Pulpstar said:

Losers should never go to court to challenge election results? Why - because winners never cheat? "She lost" doesn't support his proposition.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548

No, all things being equal it would be true. In other words, if the rate of economic growth of the UK either outside or inside the EU is the same, because of the saved net contributions.

If the argument is that economic growth will be materially and permanently lower as a result of Brexit, then it wouldn't be true.
    Growth is compounded, so if we stagnate for a couple of years then resume the same rate of growth as we would have had if we had voted Remain, we can never catch up. Only if we grow faster in a catch up phase, or permanently, can we close the gap.

I accept that keeping our contributions we have more as a nation, so possibly more potential investment. On the other hand reduced inward migration may lead to permanently slowed growth.

Ultimately we can never know the alternate reality so it is all speculation. The best gauge may well be to look at our PPP adjusted per capita GDP compared with international peers.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,969
    Dromedary said:

Pulpstar said:

Losers should never go to court to challenge election results? Why - because winners never cheat? "She lost" doesn't support his proposition.
    No, they were saying that using the popular vote lead is not a reason to call for a recount.
  • Options
    ParistondaParistonda Posts: 1,819
    Pulpstar said:

The conspiracy loons have already won the election.
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584
    edited November 2016

new thread

• Options
    RobD said:

Dromedary said:

Pulpstar said:

No, they were saying that using the popular vote lead is not a reason to call for a recount.
    Where do fantasy and conspiracy loonery fit in?
This discussion has been closed.