Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » And now what you really wanted to know about LEAVE and REMAIN

Comments

• Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929
    Paging the Tims: Dak Prescott or Mariota ?
  • Options
    Tim_BTim_B Posts: 7,669
    edited November 2016
    Pulpstar said:

Paging the Tims: Dak Prescott or Mariota ?

Well, I of course am not a fan, but fans tell me its Dak all the way. I'm told Mariota is good though.

TimT I suspect will be rooting for Mr Cousins this afternoon in Big D.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Note that Michigan is entirely "optical scan"/ pencil & paper - hence the "vote hack" line is pure bunkum.

The GOP governor candidate in North Carolina is also losing disgracefully.

This whole recount and attack the electors to get them to change their vote attempt is just frustration on the part of the Democrats, and a refusal to accept the result.

The losses the party has suffered in terms of governorships and state assemblies since Obama was elected is amazing. They also have fewer members of the US House than at any time since the 1920s. Of the Democratic House caucus, 2/3 are from the west coast and New England. Worse, 1/3 of the caucus is from just 3 states - CA, NY and MA. They are not really a national party at this point. To ram it home, the House leader is from CA, the Senate leader is from NY.

The party is in serious trouble and needs to take a critical look at its message and values. They will be back at some point, but all this nonsense is not going to help.

The GOP gov in NC - just give in gracefully.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,004
    Staggeringly inappropriate as that comment it, it is not deserving of a libel suit.
  • Options
    not_on_firenot_on_fire Posts: 4,341
    edited November 2016
    rcs1000 said:

Staggeringly inappropriate as that comment it, it is not deserving of a libel suit.
    And any libel case could easily be defended up by dredging up hundreds of anti-immigrant Mail headlines.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,726
    T in the Park does seem to have a rather high death rate if you go on media reports, although it may be statistically normal for a very large gathering of people in an unhealthy environment.

I think the law prevents "disturbance" of nesting birds listed in the protected species schedule. The question is whether 100 000 rock music listening campers suddenly appearing in your peaceful field counts as a "disturbance"

The osprey is a mighty fine bird.
  • Options
    Funny, I don't remember the outrage bus stopping on the right side of the road when Paul Dacre was labelling judges "enemies of the people" for having the temerity to perform their job in the way that he didn't like.
  • Options
    Mr. Meeks, can't speak for others, but I did criticise that headline whilst also stating my view that the judiciary was being rather precious and criticism of the judiciary is not something new or terrifying.
  • Options

Why on earth would someone commission such a daft poll...

So we can disgusset..
    That really is very good. Bravo.
  • Options
    FF43 said:

T in the Park does seem to have a rather high death rate if you go on media reports, although it may be statistically normal for a very large gathering of people in an unhealthy environment.

I think the law prevents "disturbance" of nesting birds listed in the protected species schedule. The question is whether 100 000 rock music listening campers suddenly appearing in your peaceful field counts as a "disturbance"

If only the headline act was The Byrds :smile:
  • Options
    pbr2013pbr2013 Posts: 649

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/politics/tony-blair-holds-private-talks-with-nick-clegg-before-return-to-frontline-politics-a3403651.html

Tony Blair has held private talks with Nick Clegg ahead of the former Labour prime minister’s return to frontline politics with a new centre-ground campaign.

Is this really a thing?
  • Options
    So to check for libel laws, you can imply someone is near enough a murderer but not a child molester ?
  • Options
    GeoffMGeoffM Posts: 6,071

twitter.com/hwallop/status/801810777825046528

The Iceland thing interests me for a vaguely connected business reason.

In Gibraltar you can't register a company with Gibraltar (or even Gib) in its name without the the written permission of the Chief Minister.

I've applied for this successfully for a new spinoff company but it needed a full written justification complete with exposure, reputational risk profile etc etc.
  • Options
    GeoffM said:

In Gibraltar you can't register a company with Gibraltar (or even Gib) in its name without the the written permission of the Chief Minister.

I've applied for this successfully for a new spinoff company but it needed a full written justification complete with exposure, reputational risk profile etc etc.
    Just go with the floe :wink:
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    I have just received a letter from HSBC stating that they are reducing the rate of interest on most of their accounts, given that the "deposit" account " pays 0.1% before I read further I am wondering how much it could probably be reduced to? 0.05%? 0% ...
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    GeoffM said:

And there's a complete ban on using words to imply UK or British national involvement in companies
  • Options
    The faster the robots come the better....

Tube strike: Drivers to go on strike in December

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-38094257
  • Options
    Charles said:

GeoffM said:

And there's a complete ban on using words to imply UK or British national involvement in companies
    Thanks for adding that; appreciated.

On a comment system I use elsewhere I'd certainly vote that +1 Informative

• Options

I have just received a letter from HSBC stating that they are reducing the rate of interest on most of their accounts, given that the "deposit" account " pays 0.1% before I read further I am wondering how much it could probably be reduced to? 0.05%? 0% ...

My favourite ever letters from a bank was in 2009.

The first letter from RBS concerned my then current account

'Due to the challenging economic circumstances and low interest rates we are reducing the rate of interest which we pay on your current account'

A few days later another letter from RBS, this time about my credit cards with them

'Due to the challenging economic circumstances we are INCREASING the interest rates which we charge you on your credit cards'
  • Options
    Mr. Root, had something similar after Carney had his little cut.
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584

The faster the robots come the better....

Tube strike: Drivers to go on strike in December

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-38094257

At least we won't have these problems when Khan is Mayor.

• Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,481
    edited November 2016
    GeoffM said:

There's a ban on what company names you can use/buy/change that people can wrongly infer that you're part of the UK government.

Ditto website names you can buy/use too.
  • Options
    @Pulpstar The sting of Alastair Campbell's jibe is not that Paul Dacre is a murderer but that his worldview is closer to that of a murderous far right extremist than his Labour MP victim. Fair comment is a defence to libel provided the view is honestly held, no matter how prejudiced the view might be. Whether this is fair comment or a statement of fact is, I would have thought, up for discussion. Given the Mail's article on the possible motivations of Thomas Mair today, I would not particularly care to take up the cudgels on Paul Dacre's behalf.
  • Options
    F1: a look at Button's greatest win, which some handsome writer fellow may have tipped:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/37402476
  • Options
    edited November 2016

Funny, I don't remember the outrage bus stopping on the right side of the road when Paul Dacre was labelling judges "enemies of the people" for having the temerity to perform their job in the way that he didn't like.

I can't speak for others but I asked exactly the same question on the "enemies of the people" thread:

Pulpstar said:

On the headline, whilst it is no criminal matter - and should not be... could the judges sue the Mail for libel as a civil matter ?
    If they can I think the Mail decided this was obviously a risk worth taking.

They could but the Daily Mail would argue fair comment. I think the Daily Mail would win.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,314
    Charles said:

GeoffM said:

BAA?
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Charles said:

GeoffM said:

BAA?
    Heathrow Airport Holdings now once its involvement ended in places like Standstead and Gatwick
  • Options

GeoffM said:

There's a ban on what company names you can use/buy/change that people can wrongly infer that your part of the UK government.

Many thanks to you as well as Charles for the extra UK-sided info. Very informative.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Charles said:

GeoffM said:

BAA?
    They've dropped the "British" and are now renamed the National Sheep Association.
    www.nationalsheep.org.uk
  • Options

TOPPING said:

Charles said:

GeoffM said:

BAA?
    Heathrow Airport Holdings now once its involvement ended in places like Standstead and Gatwick
    Yes. When was the ban instigated?
  • Options
    MrsBMrsB Posts: 574
    Just you wait. The Icelandic for Iceland is Island.....
  • Options
    GeoffM said:

GeoffM said:

There's a ban on what company names you can use/buy/change that people can wrongly infer that your part of the UK government.

Many thanks to you as well as Charles for the extra UK-sided info. Very informative.
    So I cannot set up a company called HMRC - Tax Refunds nor set up a website called www.hmrc-taxrefunds.gov.uk where I ask people to prove me with their NI number and bank account details so I can send them their refunds.
  • Options
    MonksfieldMonksfield Posts: 2,203
    Tim_B said:

FF43 said:

Or The Eagles
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,481
    edited November 2016
    TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Charles said:

GeoffM said:

BAA?
    Yes. When was the ban instigated?
    Not sure, I think there's a relief period for companies that were owned/part owned by the Government.

I've been buying off the shelf companies since 2000 from places like Formations Direct, and the restrictions have been in place since then at least.
  • Options
    AnneJGPAnneJGP Posts: 2,869
    pbr2013 said:

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/politics/tony-blair-holds-private-talks-with-nick-clegg-before-return-to-frontline-politics-a3403651.html

Tony Blair has held private talks with Nick Clegg ahead of the former Labour prime minister’s return to frontline politics with a new centre-ground campaign.

Is this really a thing?
    If the new centre-ground campaign comes complete with a return for Mr Campbell, I'm not very interested.

Don't know that I would be anyway. A new centre-ground campaign fronted by has-beens sounds like an old campaign to me. A new campaign needs fresh faces.
  • Options
    Argghhhhh, I used 'your' instead of 'you're'

The shame, the ignominy, wait, I'll blame auto-correct
  • Options
    edited November 2016

'Due to the challenging economic circumstances and low interest rates we are reducing the rate of interest which we pay on your current account'

A few days later another letter from RBS, this time about my credit cards with them

'Due to the challenging economic circumstances we are INCREASING the interest rates which we charge you on your credit cards'
    My favourite was a letter from my bank which asked me whether I would like them to sign of their letters "we have the honour to remain your faithful and obedient servants" or "yours affectionately"...

:joy:
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    Pulpstar said:

So to check for libel laws, you can imply someone is near enough a murderer but not a child molester ?

I don't think it says that at all. I can't even see it's libellous. Edit: Alistair spelt it out.

Funny how the indignation bus seemed empty when Goldsmith was making out Sadiq Khan was a sympathiser with Islamic Terrorism.
  • Options

@Pulpstar The sting of Alastair Campbell's jibe is not that Paul Dacre is a murderer but that his worldview is closer to that of a murderous far right extremist than his Labour MP victim. Fair comment is a defence to libel provided the view is honestly held, no matter how prejudiced the view might be. Whether this is fair comment or a statement of fact is, I would have thought, up for discussion. Given the Mail's article on the possible motivations of Thomas Mair today, I would not particularly care to take up the cudgels on Paul Dacre's behalf.

OTOH most of the Mail coverage of the case has been of Jo Cox being an honourable and brave MP. I don't think Alistair Campbell is correct in his assertion, even if the DM appears to think a belief held by the murderer a reasonable one, if controversial. That belief may have been a motivation for the murder.
  • Options

Alastair Campbell has always had a visceral hatred for Paul Dacre and I don't much care for the reasons why. What happened to Jo Cox was tragic but thankfully extremely rare. I wish people would stop using it for political purposes.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,756
    AnneJGP said:

pbr2013 said:

Is this really a thing?
    If the new centre-ground campaign comes complete with a return for Mr Campbell, I'm not very interested.

Don't know that I would be anyway. A new centre-ground campaign fronted by has-beens sounds like an old campaign to me. A new campaign needs fresh faces.
    a reminiscence trip like Jimmy Saville and Gary Glitter fronting a 70s revival while Rolf Harris eggs them on from the sidelines
  • Options

TOPPING said:

Charles said:

GeoffM said:

BAA?
    Also legacy government.

Just try going to Companies House and asking to set up British Topping Limited or Royal Topping Company.
  • Options
    Charles said:

TOPPING said:

Charles said:

GeoffM said:

BAA?
    Also legacy government.

Just try going to Companies House and asking to set up British Topping Limited or Royal Topping Company.
    but you can be scottish XYZ as scotland isnt a real country
  • Options

Alastair Campbell has always had a visceral hatred for Paul Dacre and I don't much care for the reasons why. What happened to Jo Cox was tragic but thankfully extremely rare. I wish people would stop using it for political purposes.
    Like in the immediate aftermath when one contributor here was virtually overcome with excitement at the expectation that it was an attack by an islamist.
  • Options
    F1: Germany may be dropped from the 2017 calendar.
  • Options

Like in the immediate aftermath when one contributor here was virtually overcome with excitement at the expectation that it was an attack by an islamist.
    Indeed, one of them wanted to know if Jo Cox's attacker had a beard.
  • Options
    Mr. Eagles, I found an apostrophe in the genitive 'its' whilst proofreading. My note indicated to correct it, and then cut my hands off.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,850
    There's "something of the night" about Alistair Campbell, but he's entitled to his opinions.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,465
    Essexit said:

PAW said:

What does the I stand for in LGBTQI ?

Intersex
    Aren't we all
    Hahaha
  • Options

Mr. Eagles, I found an apostrophe in the genitive 'its' whilst proofreading. My note indicated to correct it, and then cut my hands off.

Or you could cut you're hand's of.

• Options
    edited November 2016
    Charles said:

TOPPING said:

Charles said:

GeoffM said:

BAA?
    Also legacy government.

Okay, countries I can understand. But what about lesser entities like parishes, counties, district authorities, scotland, etc

Edit: Curses! Beaten to the punchline by Alanbrooke
  • Options
    GeoffM said:

Charles said:

TOPPING said:

Charles said:

GeoffM said:

BAA?
    Also legacy government.

Okay, countries I can understand. But what about lesser entities like parishes, counties, district authorities, scotland, etc
    you cant brand as "bucket of shit ltd" as you can get confused with Sheffield
  • Options
    Charles said:

TOPPING said:

Charles said:

GeoffM said:

BAA?
    Also legacy government.

Ginseng Royal Jelly?
  • Options
    AnneJGPAnneJGP Posts: 2,869
    Sean_F said:

There's "something of the night" about Alistair Campbell, but he's entitled to his opinions.

He is indeed entitled to his opinions.

I saw a lovely badge-like thing on the back of someone's anorak recently.

It said "Truth doesn't give a f*** about your opinion".
  • Options
    Re bad al... When they go low.... we go high we dig for the centre of the earth.
  • Options
  • Options

You should pay closer attention. I was one of the first to condemn that.
  • Options
    Mr. Hopkins, I develop a burning hatred of apostrophes during proofreading.
  • Options

Another way of looking at the data

twitter.com/MSmithsonPB/status/801841527857278977

If the June 23rd BREXIT referendum had been restricted to those who changed their underpants/knickers every day LEAVE would have lost

If polls were accurate, then Leave would have lost.

• Options

Hopefully, this will be the end of it. Mair got the sentence he deserved, but political hay was attempted from it almost from the moment the attack was first reported.
  • Options
    FregglesFreggles Posts: 3,486
    Charles said:

Leavers are a bunch of minging bastards.

But this thread is not pants

What's the not applicable line?

Are they saying 1% of women don't wear knickers?
    And 9% of Kippers? Talk about an obsession with freedom.

Perhaps the 1% of women thought their underwear choice didn't count as "knickers" or "underpants"?
  • Options
    Charles said:

My favourite was a letter from my bank which asked me whether I would like them to sign of their letters "we have the honour to remain your faithful and obedient servants" or "yours affectionately"...

:joy:
    What if you don't have the slightest affection yourself for the money grubbing machine you deal with and would LOVE your bank to be faithful and obedient servants - if only!
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,079

Argghhhhh, I used 'your' instead of 'you're'

The shame, the ignominy, wait, I'll blame auto-correct

You're so alt-write.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

I wouldn't really want to talk about tragic deaths of public figures if I were him, but hey.
  • Options

The concerted effort to dig through the sins of her husband (real or concocted - I couldn't give a feck) was also deeply impressive.
  • Options

The concerted effort to dig through the sins of her widowed husband (real or concocted - I couldn't give a feck) was also deeply impressive.
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    It's good to see that 5% of young men wash their tights after wearing them just once.
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    I knew it was a dirty win.
  • Options
    Mr. Surbiton, the most dangerous missions must be done commando.
  • Options
    Wow, the IFS analysis is brutal. The baby boomers have had the lot.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Pulpstar said:

kjohnw said:

Does Stein have any chance of overturning the votes in the rust belt for hilary?
    Jill Stein, liberals seek voting hack investigation
    http://www.cnn.com/2016/11/23/politics/election-hack-hillary-clinton-donald-trump/index.html

No. All she is doing is destroying my time value of money.

She is the worst.
    The absolute worst.
  • Options
    Bizarre

BBC leads with iffy forecast which even they accept could be a load of bollocks

• Options
    rural_voterrural_voter Posts: 2,038

Isn't fair comment the US defence? English libel law is so wide-reaching that dictators and oligarchs come here to take advantage of it and silence their enemies. British wealthy people also like it because they can suppress the truth:

Robert Maxwell successfully sued over allegations that he was stealing from his pension fund; It was Private Eye that lost, I think.
    Lance Armstrong successfully sued the Sunday Times re reports that he was taking performance-enhancing drugs
    A copper successfully sued Private Eye over claims that he was a paedophile - 20 years later, guess what he turned out to be.

I prefer the US situation. Donald Trump would find it extremely difficult to suppress press comment if he turns out to be doing things that people consider wrong. The UK govt since the Leveson report has repeatedly tried to muzzle the press.
  • Options
    Mr. Brooke, the IFS has an odd view of the world. Had a hard time taking them seriously since they claimed an early Osborne Budget wasn't progressive because it involved welfare cuts. Which sounds fair enough, but the cuts were forecast due to more people being employed and therefore unemployment benefit being reduced.
  • Options
    Mr. Voter, which is especially hypocritical given the Government wants to censor ball-gags...
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 7,995
    edited November 2016

Jokes aside, what tiny difference there is here is I suspect nothing more than Leavers being slightly older and poorer than Remainers, on average.

Next.

The significant difference is between those who go without pants or knickers - the "Not Applicables".

Apparently 9% of Kippers go commando.
    Only 1% of LibDems go without - in spite of being more liberal.

Edit: I see Charles got there before me.
    Edit edit: I see Alistair got there before Charles.
    Edit edit edit: I see Sir Passmore got there before Alistair. I give up.
  • Options
    Ancient Egyptian city discovered:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-38084391
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    Barnesian said:

Jokes aside, what tiny difference there is here is I suspect nothing more than Leavers being slightly older and poorer than Remainers, on average.

Next.

The significant difference is between those who go without pants or knickers - the "Not Applicables".

Going commando.. in this weather.. brave I must say !
  • Options

Tim_B said:

FF43 said:

Or The Eagles
    or even Elton singing Skyline Pigeon
  • Options
    PAWPAW Posts: 1,074
    I lost interest in the IFS after a spokeman sounded off on the BBC that the IFS had identified a small shortfall in the funding of a government department (not an important one), which if left uncorrected for a few decades would add up to not very much at all.
  • Options
    Barnesian said:

Next.

Sloppy fourths never good, even more so in this context.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,969
    Abydos? Have they discovered any large circular rings in the area? :D
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125
    That this thread was posted in the first place - and FFS, is still up - tells us much more about the state of ongoing Remainer hurt than it does about Leaver undies.
  • Options
    Mr. D, the time to get worried is when seventeen Baals turn up.
  • Options

Is anyone outraged? Two of the most deeply dislikeable people in British public life are having a go at each other - entertained is surely nearer the mark.
  • Options
    I'll defend Dacre here, God help me.

Having read some of the coverage the murderous fascist freak (just to make my opinion of him clear) did have an "interesting" journey to the murder. As well as his far right associations going back to the 80's is has been reported that he was upset about his mother entering into a relationship with a black man. His mixed race half brother says he never heard any racism but there seems to be a suggestion that he was raised by his grandmother because of this. She died years ago and apparently the council were asking questions about his habitation of a 3 bed semi council house.

A bit shitty of the Mail's subs to use that headline. Have we had the Guardian headline yet about how that poster triggered Mair?

Who knows. But only one person is responsible for this and he will die in prison. Good. Fuck him.
  • Options
    Anyway, I must be off. A final reminder that Kingdom Asunder came out today, so do give it a look if you're into fantasy of the Game of Thrones variety:
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Kingdom-Asunder-Bloody-Crown-Trilogy-ebook/dp/B01N8UF799/
  • Options
    RobD said:

Abydos? Have they discovered any large circular rings in the area? :D
    Is there such a thing as a non-circular ring? :smile:
  • Options
    pbr2013 said:

Having read some of the coverage the murderous fascist freak (just to make my opinion of him clear) did have an "interesting" journey to the murder. As well as his far right associations going back to the 80's is has been reported that he was upset about his mother entering into a relationship with a black man. His mixed race half brother says he never heard any racism but there seems to be a suggestion that he was raised by his grandmother because of this. She died years ago and apparently the council were asking questions about his habitation of a 3 bed semi council house.

A bit shitty of the Mail's subs to use that headline. Have we had the Guardian headline yet about how that poster triggered Mair?

Who knows. But only one person is responsible for this and he will die in prison. Good. Fuck him.

Dacre's crime is that he doesn't share Campbell's politics, and vociferously opposed the Blair Government.
  • Options
    Barnesian said:

Next.

Lol.
  • Options

pbr2013 said:

Dacre's crime is that he doesn't share Campbell's politics, and vociferously opposed the Blair Government.
    Who said Dacre had committed a crime?
  • Options
    MarkSeniorMarkSenior Posts: 4,699
    The Daily Mail has supported fascism for over 80 years now , Dacre is simply continuing that editorial policy .
  • Options
    PAW said:

I lost interest in the IFS after a spokeman sounded off on the BBC that the IFS had identified a small shortfall in the funding of a government department (not an important one), which if left uncorrected for a few decades would add up to not very much at all.

On some issues the IFS is more left wing than Labour. For example they think that all inheritance should be taxed and there should be no Nil Rate Band.
  • Options

pbr2013 said:

Who said Dacre had committed a crime?
    No-one, it's a figure of speech.

But there is plenty of innuendo out there that Dacre is a Mair sympathiser, and perhaps even inspired him.
  • Options
    The £122 billion "cost" of Brexit isn't perhaps the killer line some Remainers think it is.

If one was being sheer bloody minded about it, one could counterargue that saving £7bn a year of net EU contributions means the UK would be in profit on Brexit by 2037, increasing year-after-year thereon after. So it's an investment.

But that would be almost as silly.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190
    The Daily Mail story is no different to the backlash articles that appear on the Guardian website hours after a Muslim nut job has killed a load of people in France.
  • Options

The Daily Mail has supported fascism for over 80 years now , Dacre is simply continuing that editorial policy .

Hurrah for the Blackshirts!

Not many of them around now, esp since taches fell out of fashion.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125
    I hope everyone here is sharing the celebrations occurring today in the USA - and giving thanks we aren't to be ruled over by Donald Trump!!
  • Options

I hope everyone here is sharing the celebrations occurring today in the USA - and giving thanks we aren't to be ruled over by Donald Trump!!

Black Friday Matters?
This discussion has been closed.