Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Just a third of voters tell ICM that they’re happy with “uncon

124»

Comments

• Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,850
    nielh said:

Pulpstar said:

nielh said:

Pulpstar said:

Chris_A said:

nielh said:

Boris Johnson continues to be a total embarrasment. A complete, pathetic, shambles.
    No concept of nuance and totally unguarded.

No need to hold back, niel. Tell us what you REALLY think! :lol:
    But at least he's better than Fox as Johnson's disgraceful behaviour never got him sacked from the Cabinet. It really is a government of non-entities.
    Can you enlighten us as to what Bojo has actually done ?
    OK. Look at todays headlines.
    "a lot to be positive about". (Re trump being elected)

You've got to be shitting me ?

It doesn't matter what the private views of various British government ministers are on Trump or not. He's the President of the United F*cking States of America.

It's still a bloody big country. #1 by GDP in the world, it matters. ALOT.

Now I know Javid, Rifkind and quite a few others within the Conservatives would have liked a Hillary victory, but to expect or want the foreign secretary to immediately shit on Trump is both foolish and stupid.

I don't think Juncker and Merkel have done themselves any favours with their reaction by the way.
    We'll have to agree to disagree.
    The same rules apply in diplomacy as any other professional or social interaction: arselicking gets you nowhere. Being seen to abandon your principles when the tide appears to turn is not the way to build up a successful, constructive set of relationships.
    Look at China. Look at Russia. I'm afraid to say that the way these countries work on the diplomatic stage puts us to shame.
    Boris Johnson was described by a UK prison inmate in a VICE documentary as 'a retard in a russian comedy'. Its the most accurate description ive heard of the man.

What would you prefer to see Johnson do?

Perhaps joining in a F*ck Donald Trump protest with Snowflakes and Social Justice Warriors?
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    rcs1000 said:

chestnut said:

Scott_P said:
    I have no idea whether that is accurate or not, but if you were a European nation paying an access fee to the EU, surely you would want the fee reduced if the market had lost 13% of it's population and 16% of it's economy?

We are Norway's best customer and Switzerland's second most important EU trading partner.

That's just in general terms, but what about if the UK was a disproportionately important part of the european market for non-EU countries?

Beyond Europe, the UK represents 42% of Canadian exports to the EU. The worth of a trade deal with the EU changes vastly if Britain isn't in it.

The Norway numbers are largely oil and gas which is tariff free whether with the EU or anyone else.
    I am referring to 'contributions' rather than tariffs.
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    RobD said:

surbiton said:

weejonnie said:

Tim_B said:

Tim_B said:

Tim_B said:

Tim_B said:

Tim_B said:

Wandering through the current state of the Democratic Party post-election, it's not too good for them. -

But the real stunner is this -

Another good way of saving the two party system would be to end gerrymandering of congressional districts and to act aggressively against voter suppression. What are the chances, do you think?

The party in control does the gerrymandering etc - sometimes it's the GOP, sometimes it's the Dems.

Either way it is absolutely outrageous.

Populations shift, grow and decrease. You have a to have a way of dealing with it. It may not be perfect, but hardly 'absolutely outrageous'.

No, outrageous is entirely appropriate. Suppression affects very specific groups with very specific voting patterns.

Outrageous would be having an unelected upper chamber. Supplying ID when voting is merely good sense.
    Outrageous would be an upper chamber in which Rutland had as much influence as Middlesex.
    Indeed - Rutland is a county, Middlesex isn't any longer. Yes, it is a bit of a smartypants response :smile:
    The EC was designed to prevent the North of America always outvoting the South. (In fact the South's influence was increased by deeming slaves to have 40% of the influence of non-slaves). It seems to have changed over the years and now it serves to prevent the Coastal States outvoting the interior.
    The electoral college started with only 13 states. Only Virginia, the Carolinas and Georgia were in the South. 4 out of 13. It was the price extracted by the "smaller" states. It might have made sense the. Not today. Now it is an affront to democracy. An EC vote in Wyoming is worth 33 times or whatever in California.
    Let's not go overboard, it's only three and a half times.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:State_population_per_electoral_vote.png

They could solve that by having more legislators ;)
    California has 67 times the population of Wyoming but only 18 times the votes. OK , that is 3 point something.

Is that democracy ?
  • Options
    murali_smurali_s Posts: 3,040
    Omnium said:

Pulpstar said:

He's the President of the United F*cking States of America..

The world changed. We don't yet know how.

For the worse obviously!
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,001
    chestnut said:

rcs1000 said:

chestnut said:

Scott_P said:
    I have no idea whether that is accurate or not, but if you were a European nation paying an access fee to the EU, surely you would want the fee reduced if the market had lost 13% of it's population and 16% of it's economy?

We are Norway's best customer and Switzerland's second most important EU trading partner.

That's just in general terms, but what about if the UK was a disproportionately important part of the european market for non-EU countries?

Beyond Europe, the UK represents 42% of Canadian exports to the EU. The worth of a trade deal with the EU changes vastly if Britain isn't in it.

The Norway numbers are largely oil and gas which is tariff free whether with the EU or anyone else.
    My point is that the EU is no less an important destination for Norway's non-commodity products after we leave, so it is unlikely to demand a lower contribution.
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,786
    Tim_B said:

Omnium said:

Tim_B said:

Omnium said:

Pulpstar said:

No it hasn't. For whatever reason the electorate felt that change was a better option than the status quo. Folks need to stop over-reacting.
    President Trump. The world changed. It simply wasn't a possible world as I saw it. When 0% chances happen you have to rethink a little. I'm rethinking. I've made little progress.
    You didn't see it coming so the world has changed? Hardly. Sounds more like rose colored glasses.
    The world is only as we perceive it. You're quite right in that my view is meaningless. However the point that I was trying to make was a good number of people failed to see this.
  • Options
    weejonnieweejonnie Posts: 3,820
    surbiton said:

weejonnie said:

Tim_B said:

Tim_B said:

Tim_B said:

Tim_B said:

Tim_B said:

Wandering through the current state of the Democratic Party post-election, it's not too good for them. -

Fully 1/3 of the caucus of the democratic party in the US House of Representatives comes from just 3 states – Massachusetts, New York and California. That's a bad sign.

Another good way of saving the two party system would be to end gerrymandering of congressional districts and to act aggressively against voter suppression. What are the chances, do you think?

The party in control does the gerrymandering etc - sometimes it's the GOP, sometimes it's the Dems.

Populations shift, grow and decrease. You have a to have a way of dealing with it. It may not be perfect, but hardly 'absolutely outrageous'.

No, outrageous is entirely appropriate. Suppression affects very specific groups with very specific voting patterns.

The EC was designed to prevent the North of America always outvoting the South. (In fact the South's influence was increased by deeming slaves to have 40% of the influence of non-slaves). It seems to have changed over the years and now it serves to prevent the Coastal States outvoting the interior.
    The electoral college started with only 13 states. Only Virginia, the Carolinas and Georgia were in the South. 4 out of 13. It was the price extracted by the "smaller" states. It might have made sense the. Not today. Now it is an affront to democracy. An EC vote in Wyoming is worth 33 times or whatever in California.
    32 out of the first 36 years of the EC resulted in someone from Virginia being elected President.

I don't think you realise that the country is the UNITED STATES of America. It is not "The democratic people's republic of America".

As I am sure you are aware - 2 votes in the EC are given to equate the Senators and the other votes are given to equate the Congressmen. Each Congressman represents a District which by law must be evenly split and is based on an electorate of 650,000.

California: Population :38.8 million : number of districts 53 = 732000 / district
    Virginia : Population: 8.33 million : number of districts 11 = 757000 / district

So where does your 33 times come in?
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929
    surbiton said:

RobD said:

surbiton said:

weejonnie said:

Tim_B said:

Tim_B said:

Tim_B said:

Tim_B said:

Tim_B said:

Outrageous would be having an unelected upper chamber. Supplying ID when voting is merely good sense.
    Outrageous would be an upper chamber in which Rutland had as much influence as Middlesex.
    Indeed - Rutland is a county, Middlesex isn't any longer. Yes, it is a bit of a smartypants response :smile:

California has 67 times the population of Wyoming but only 18 times the votes. OK , that is 3 point something.

Is that democracy ?
    Texas vs Washington DC looks a mismatch too.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,969
    surbiton said:

RobD said:

surbiton said:

weejonnie said:

Tim_B said:

Tim_B said:

Tim_B said:

Tim_B said:

Tim_B said:

Is that democracy ?
    No, just pointing out it isn't as egregious as you had suggested.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607
    Pulpstar said:

The thing is if you look at that list it's a spread of Dem and GOP states, not just one or the other. Both benefit from the imbalance and lose from it.
  • Options
    nielhnielh Posts: 1,307
    matt said:

nielh said:

Pulpstar said:

nielh said:

Pulpstar said:

Chris_A said:

nielh said:

Boris Johnson continues to be a total embarrasment. A complete, pathetic, shambles.

No need to hold back, niel. Tell us what you REALLY think! :lol:
    But at least he's better than Fox as Johnson's disgraceful behaviour never got him sacked from the Cabinet. It really is a government of non-entities.

It doesn't matter what the private views of various British government ministers are on Trump or not. He's the President of the United F*cking States of America.

Now I know Javid, Rifkind and quite a few others within the Conservatives would have liked a Hillary victory, but to expect or want the foreign secretary to immediately shit on Trump is both foolish and stupid.

I don't think Juncker and Merkel have done themselves any favours with their reaction by the way.
    The same rules apply in diplomacy as any other professional or social interaction: arselicking gets you nowhere. Being seen to abandon your principles when the tide appears to turn is not the way to build up a successful, constructive set of relationships.
    Look at China. Look at Russia. I'm afraid to say that the way these countries work on the diplomatic stage puts us to shame.
    Boris Johnson was described by a UK prison inmate in a VICE documentary as 'a retard in a russian comedy'. Its the most accurate description ive heard of the man.

China's diplomacy is based wholly on money. Lots of examples you can find in Africa, SEA and S.America. Russia has skipped right to the war is the ultimate diplomacy with few intermediate stops. That you see them as inspiration is interesting.

Edit: I'd add with China that they have a moral advantage to us when dealing with totalitarians, despots, and human rights issues.
    I don't see them as inspiration, I find both countries awful in their own way. But listen to them talk. Listen to what they have to say. And then listen to what Boris Johnson has to say.
  • Options
    Maybe Sunil can tell us, how big would the electoral college have to be so that the "electors per EV" number for all of the states were within 5%? :D
  • Options
    nielhnielh Posts: 1,307
    Sean_F said:

nielh said:

Pulpstar said:

nielh said:

Pulpstar said:

Chris_A said:

nielh said:

Perhaps joining in a F*ck Donald Trump protest with Snowflakes and Social Justice Warriors?
    Sean_F said:

nielh said:

Pulpstar said:

nielh said:

Pulpstar said:

Chris_A said:

nielh said:

No REALLY think! :lol:

Well it was Johnson who told people to protest outside the Russian embassy! My point is that he is useless at the brief he has been given and the nuances of diplomacy.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Pulpstar said:

The thing is if you look at that list it's a spread of Dem and GOP states, not just one or the other. Both benefit from the imbalance and lose from it.
    The same thing happens at the margins with our system, Orkney vs East Ham for instance.

The one thing that is outrageous in the US is the House districting, definitely glad we don't have that sort of gerrymandering here.
  • Options
    PlatoSaidPlatoSaid Posts: 10,383
    This sounds rather familiar re going leftwards

"Rep. Keith Ellison, D-Minn., the first Muslim elected to Congress and a leading progressive among House Democrats, already has picked up the backing of both the Democratic Party’s left – with support from Sens. Bernie Sanders and Elizabeth Warren – and its establishment, receiving endorsements from Senate leaders Chuck Schumer, D-N.Y., and retiring Harry Reid, D-Nev.

Ellison is firmly on the party's left – he has a fax line in his office, but his website says they will not respond to faxes "for environmental reasons." He backed Bernie Sanders during the primaries, even introducing him at the convention.

“Bernie sparked the beginning of a revolution y’all,” Ellison said at his address during the Democratic National Convention in Philadelphia. “Together we call for climate justice, racial justice, wage justice.”

Sanders has given strong backing to Ellison in return, sending out a fundraising email saying an Ellison-led Democratic Party that will stand up to Wall Street greed and corporate America is "the Democratic Party we need." Ellison is expected to formally announce his bid Monday.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2016/11/14/who-is-keith-ellison-left-wing-candidate-with-past-ties-to-nation-islam-wants-dnc-job.html
  • Options
    The Farroukhan link (Perceived or real) looks an issue for me.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607
    Pulpstar said:

MaxPB said:

Pulpstar said:

The same thing happens at the margins with our system, Orkney vs East Ham for instance.

The one thing that is outrageous in the US is the House districting, definitely glad we don't have that sort of gerrymandering here.
    Yes the sooner the US states all move to California style non-partisan committees the better off the nation will be. It isn't right. The Dems nees to concentrate on winning as many Gubernatorial races as possible in 2018 and 2020 so that they get the chance to redistrict and at least reduce the bias.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Pulpstar said:

MaxPB said:

Pulpstar said:

Yes the sooner the US states all move to California style non-partisan committees the better off the nation will be. It isn't right. The Dems nees to concentrate on winning as many Gubernatorial races as possible in 2018 and 2020 so that they get the chance to redistrict and at least reduce the bias.
    Trump is already talking about term limits for congress, which I think requires a constitutional amendment? Why not go the whole hog and also state that borders must be drawn up by an independent commission?
  • Options
    New threads..
  • Options
    gawd.. new thread!
  • Options
    Tim_BTim_B Posts: 7,669
    PlatoSaid said:

This sounds rather familiar re going leftwards

"Rep. Keith Ellison, D-Minn., the first Muslim elected to Congress and a leading progressive among House Democrats, already has picked up the backing of both the Democratic Party’s left – with support from Sens. Bernie Sanders and Elizabeth Warren – and its establishment, receiving endorsements from Senate leaders Chuck Schumer, D-N.Y., and retiring Harry Reid, D-Nev.

Ellison is firmly on the party's left – he has a fax line in his office, but his website says they will not respond to faxes "for environmental reasons." He backed Bernie Sanders during the primaries, even introducing him at the convention.

“Bernie sparked the beginning of a revolution y’all,” Ellison said at his address during the Democratic National Convention in Philadelphia. “Together we call for climate justice, racial justice, wage justice.”

Sanders has given strong backing to Ellison in return, sending out a fundraising email saying an Ellison-led Democratic Party that will stand up to Wall Street greed and corporate America is "the Democratic Party we need." Ellison is expected to formally announce his bid Monday.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2016/11/14/who-is-keith-ellison-left-wing-candidate-with-past-ties-to-nation-islam-wants-dnc-job.html

Howard Dean has also put himself forward apparently.
  • Options
    Tim_BTim_B Posts: 7,669
    Omnium said:

Tim_B said:

Omnium said:

Tim_B said:

Omnium said:

Pulpstar said:

No it hasn't. For whatever reason the electorate felt that change was a better option than the status quo. Folks need to stop over-reacting.
    President Trump. The world changed. It simply wasn't a possible world as I saw it. When 0% chances happen you have to rethink a little. I'm rethinking. I've made little progress.
    You didn't see it coming so the world has changed? Hardly. Sounds more like rose colored glasses.
    The world is only as we perceive it. You're quite right in that my view is meaningless. However the point that I was trying to make was a good number of people failed to see this.
    Coping with the unexpected is part of life.
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    rcs1000 said:

chestnut said:

rcs1000 said:

chestnut said:

Scott_P said:

My point is that the EU is no less an important destination for Norway's non-commodity products after we leave, so it is unlikely to demand a lower contribution.
    Possibly, though approximately 60% of all Norway's exports are commodities.
  • Options
    AP
    BREAKING: Judge orders release of nephew in "Making a Murderer" while prosecutors appeal homicide conviction being overturned.
  • Options
This discussion has been closed.