Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The New Political Divide, Part III

1235»

Comments

• Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

Mortimer said:

With reference to Nigel Farage and Donald Trump, is it normal for governments to use leaders of opposition parties to implement government policies? And if not, why should that change now?

Another thing the PB Tory leavers got wrong.

I was assured Nigel Farage would be nowhere near the levers of power in the event of a Leave victory.
    Lalala, hand wave, tumbleweed, look squirrel etc.
    Juvenile.
    I was referring to the absolute dearth of comment from Leavers on Farage's self promoted lynchpin status, several of whom also assured me & the wider public that Farage would be nowhere near the levers of power in the event of Brexit.
    Commenting on Scottish politicos, who pretend to have levers when they don't, seems to have blinded to the reality that Farage merely visited Trump. He is not in government, nor even in any elected British office. His only position is as interim leader of a party and MEP, both of which are likely to disappear in the coming months and years.

Lots of hot air, whether from Sturgeon or Farage, don't equal levers of power within the British govt.
    It isn't just hot air from Farage

Theresa May is facing a growing Cabinet backlash over her decision to dismiss Nigel Farage despite him being the only British politician to meet with Donald Trump since his victory.

The Telegraph understands a number of members of the Cabinet and other Government ministers believe the Prime Minister's allies have made a mistake by referring to Mr Farage as an “irrelevance”.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/11/13/theresa-may-facing-cabinet-backlash-over-refusal-to-deal-with-ni/
    Endorsing Farage as a formal mechanism of government would defeat the purpose. WHat May needs in an informal channel.
    Not good for the job.

What you need as an informal channel is someone who can be relied on to keep any message back channel. Farage likes the limelight too much.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Neither is looking that likely, but I've got D Miliband red and Ed Balls Green in my Labour leadership betting.

Ed Balls should probably be shorter than David Miliband I reckon.

Nothing is ever going to prove a 100/1 shot poor value, but still, I think you're mad.
    There's plenty that can prove 100/1 shots poor value. Constituency betting invariably does, where 'haven't a chance in hell' candidates get offered at only that sort of price. Across the country, six or so 100/1 candidates ought to come in at any given election, if the odds were 'true'. In fact, hardly any do (though some do who were 100/1 some time before the election, and when some do like that, quite a lot can, as with the SNP this last time).
    I have not backed Ed Balls at all for the Labour leadership, but neither have I laid him. I have laid David Miliband.

Laying Ed Balls at 100-1 on Betfair doesn't tempt me.
    Laying David Miliband sub 10-1 is a big component of my long term book. A tiny bit rebacked at 17ish, so far but the only true liability.
    Balls at 100/1 is a very decent bet and relatively easy to see how it comes off. I tipped him as Next Labour Leader over the summer (pre-Strictly) at a good deal less than that.
  • Options
    MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034

MTimT said:

MTimT said:

Pulpstar said:

MaxPB said:

Interesting to note that Sterling is up against the Euro again today. The markets definitely see Trump as a huge negative for the EU. A less secure border, increased defence spending to pay for and a possible trade war to contend with. Juncker and Merkel have hardly helped matters either.

Trump will pull out of NATO f Germany doesn't commit to 2% defence spending. Unlike his domestic promises there's no political price for that one in the US.
    It is also one of his earliest stated and most consistent stances on any policy issue. He has been banging that drum since the 80s. It will happen.

The EU's plans of playing hardball with the UK are going down the drain, unless we are so lily-livered we let them.

Not sure how the US pulling out of NATO will strengthen our negotiating position with the EU. We are a European country and if the US were to abandon its 70 year defence strategy it would be dumping on us just as much as the Germans. Indeed, it would make Trump the most anti-British US president for many a long year.

It would mean the EU would be even more reliant on our defence cooperation. I.e. it would be another bargaining chip for us in Brexit negotiations.

Hardly - without the US, our defence spend is essentially meaningless. It's like not having the US or China in global warming agreements. Without them what anyone else does is essentially irrelevant.

I disagree. But best left there.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

Putting Ted Cruz in the Supreme Court would be a very neat way of kicking him upstairs.

Isn't that a West Wing plotline?
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Neither is looking that likely, but I've got D Miliband red and Ed Balls Green in my Labour leadership betting.

Ed Balls should probably be shorter than David Miliband I reckon.

Nothing is ever going to prove a 100/1 shot poor value, but still, I think you're mad.
    There's plenty that can prove 100/1 shots poor value. Constituency betting invariably does, where 'haven't a chance in hell' candidates get offered at only that sort of price. Across the country, six or so 100/1 candidates ought to come in at any given election, if the odds were 'true'. In fact, hardly any do (though some do who were 100/1 some time before the election, and when some do like that, quite a lot can, as with the SNP this last time).
    I have not backed Ed Balls at all for the Labour leadership, but neither have I laid him. I have laid David Miliband.

Laying Ed Balls at 100-1 on Betfair doesn't tempt me.
    Laying David Miliband sub 10-1 is a big component of my long term book. A tiny bit rebacked at 17ish, so far but the only true liability.
    Balls at 100/1 is a very decent bet and relatively easy to see how it comes off. I tipped him as Next Labour Leader over the summer (pre-Strictly) at a good deal less than that.
    % chance Balls is eligible, % chance Balls stands, % chance he gets the nomination, % chance he wins.

He's a proven loser, I say that as a Norwich City fan.
  • Options
    john_zimsjohn_zims Posts: 3,399
    edited November 2016
    @MaxPB

'The French also refused to attend the emergency meeting as well. That's Europe's two major military powers effectively backing Trump over the EU on NATO. It's time for Germany and the rest to pay up. €117bn please.'

Without the UK & France Europe's defence capabilities would be a joke.

• Options
    Charles said:

With reference to Nigel Farage and Donald Trump, is it normal for governments to use leaders of opposition parties to implement government policies? And if not, why should that change now?

I was assured Nigel Farage would be nowhere near the levers of power in the event of a Leave victory.
    He's not. HMG has made that very clear.

He's just a self-agrandising tit
    Tory Leavers have enabled him, we're reaping what you have sown.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,631
    MTimT said:

MaxPB said:

Sean_F said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Trump is about to centralise it by withdrawing federal funding for any city with sanctuary status. It's a smart move.

It's possibly also a good example of why people who are hoping Trump won't be able to get anything done because he doesn't know how to use the levers of power will be disappointed.
    True although the irony is that it is Republican voters who tend to be keenest on states' rights.
    This is about federal funding though, not state level funding. The state could decide to plug the gap but it would require statewide tax rises or spending cuts to other programmes. Again, the fastest way to set the local population against illegal immigration is to force tax rises onto them, in areas of poverty it won't be Trump that will suffer, it will be the city legislature that refuses to dump sanctuary status that will take the hit. Trump is giving them a choice, after all.
    Penalising Sanctuary Cities seems entirely reasonable to me. Immigration is a Federal issue, not a local government issue.

This is an interesting and rare example of US politics being to the Left of UK politics. In this country, enfranchising illegal immigrants is an idea restricted to the extreme Left. In the US, it's mainstream in the Democratic Party.
    Rush for demographics. US politics is infected with it. If Trump does manage to reverse Mexican migration significantly it could change US politics forever as the Dems would not be able to rely on underlying demographic changes to help them.
    It has already reversed. For the past two years there has been a net emigration of Mexicans from the US back to Mexico. Being driven mainly by economic factors.
    Additionally Trump all but kills off any chance of another one off amnesty for the 11m illegals currently in the country. I do wonder whether the dynamics have already changed. If Trump wins a second term then the US could look very different electorally than it does now. The settled view on migration once the wall/fence is completed is probably going to be anti, even in liberal border states. The Dems are going to find it tough if whites become a block vote but they are unable to increase the size of their block vote by migration and amnesties.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,144

So someone has managed to email all 1.2 million NHS employees.

And everyone is replying 'I don't think email should have been sent to me'

or 'Can you take me off this email discussion'

or 'Quit hit replying to all'

What did the e-mail say? "You're fired"? That might just have disrupted patient care more than the junior doctors managed.....
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Trump is about to centralise it by withdrawing federal funding for any city with sanctuary status. It's a smart move.

It's possibly also a good example of why people who are hoping Trump won't be able to get anything done because he doesn't know how to use the levers of power will be disappointed.
    True although the irony is that it is Republican voters who tend to be keenest on states' rights.
    This is about federal funding though, not state level funding. The state could decide to plug the gap but it would require statewide tax rises or spending cuts to other programmes. Again, the fastest way to set the local population against illegal immigration is to force tax rises onto them, in areas of poverty it won't be Trump that will suffer, it will be the city legislature that refuses to dump sanctuary status that will take the hit. Trump is giving them a choice, after all.
    Penalising Sanctuary Cities seems entirely reasonable to me. Immigration is a Federal issue, not a local government issue.

This is an interesting and rare example of US politics being to the Left of UK politics. In this country, enfranchising illegal immigrants is an idea restricted to the extreme Left. In the US, it's mainstream in the Democratic Party.
    Mainstream democrats also still seem to worship trade unions.

I find it hard to see how i'd be anything other than a western Republican were I a US citizen.
  • Options
    stodge said:

<
    Give the full facts!
    Net gain of 30 councillors in May.
    Net gain of 18 seats since May was 'elected'.
    +23.4% swing in Witney by-election

This is a betting site, don't just give partial information.

http://www2.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2016/11/11/for-the-2nd-week-running-con-make-a-local-by-election-gain-this-time-from-lab/
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-37719170

TC_Political Betting never says anything positive about the Lib Dems - it's well known to anyone who uses the site.

Ok, but there's a difference between not saying anything positive and deliberately giving a false impression by cherry picking results.
    Just give me the facts.
  • Options

So when should I start laying David Miliband?

It's locking up my money for years that puts me off.

Corbyn could be around a long time.
  • Options

Sean_F said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Mainstream democrats also still seem to worship trade unions.

I find it hard to see how i'd be anything other than a western Republican were I a US citizen.
    The problem is, to get rid of the unions, we increased the role of the state. It is not a trade many Americans would feel comfortable with.
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    ''The Dems are going to find it tough if whites become a block vote but they are unable to increase the size of their block vote by migration and amnesties. ''

Politicians having to answer to a stable electorate as opposed to one they imported???

Whatever next?
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,144

Charles said:

How did we "enable" him FFS? We worked hard to keep him out of Westminster.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,792

MTimT said:

Pulpstar said:

MaxPB said:

Interesting to note that Sterling is up against the Euro again today. The markets definitely see Trump as a huge negative for the EU. A less secure border, increased defence spending to pay for and a possible trade war to contend with. Juncker and Merkel have hardly helped matters either.

Trump will pull out of NATO f Germany doesn't commit to 2% defence spending. Unlike his domestic promises there's no political price for that one in the US.
    It is also one of his earliest stated and most consistent stances on any policy issue. He has been banging that drum since the 80s. It will happen.

The EU's plans of playing hardball with the UK are going down the drain, unless we are so lily-livered we let them.

Not sure how the US pulling out of NATO will strengthen our negotiating position with the EU. We are a European country and if the US were to abandon its 70 year defence strategy it would be dumping on us just as much as the Germans. Indeed, it would make Trump the most anti-British US president for many a long year.

It would leave the putative EU army as the only international defence pact in place, However, I think Trump would find it difficult to dump NATO. The US is too heavily invested. In any case Trump's purpose is to get others to contribute more not to get rid of the outfit entirely. This is a spat between Germany mainly and the US and doesn't involve us one way or the other.
  • Options

So someone has managed to email all 1.2 million NHS employees.

And everyone is replying 'I don't think email should have been sent to me'

or 'Can you take me off this email discussion'

or 'Quit hit replying to all'

What did the e-mail say? "You're fired"? That might just have disrupted patient care more than the junior doctors managed.....
    '186m needless emails': NHS-wide test message (and replies) crash system

Some users prevented from accessing email system after IT contractor at Croydon NHS messages all 1.2 million employees

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2016/nov/14/186m-needless-emails-nhs-wide-test-message-and-replies-to-all-crash-system
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,002
    edited November 2016

Wait for reports of him arriving at Heathrow, he'll probably go sub 10s at some point (Again). Lay him at that point.

Corbyn will be out on his ear if his soundly thrashed at 2020 (Or before) you'll collect at that point.

Don't forget you can lay others too.
  • Options
    Good afternoon, everyone.
  • Options

I think the "lay the favourite" rule now applies to both parties.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395

Good afternoon, everyone.

Afternoon. Does the PB "second channel" still exist, the one that used to feature racing and other sports?
  • Options
    MTimT said:

Charles said:

Surely one of the levers of power is having Trump's ear. For the moment he seems to have it. People paid the Clinton Foundation hundreds of millions for the same privilege.

Does he? Or is he merely a court jester?
    I imagine Farage is very marketable as a lobbyist selling access to Trump for patronage. The other stuff is mere trumpery
  • Options
    By the way I'll ask my colleague in 2020 what the prevailing views are from the US parent regarding Trump / Warren or w/e.

This time round they hated Clinton apparently.

They're Toledo, Ohio based so the anecdata might be very useful.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    I don't know why Cook didn't declare when 275 ahead instead of waiting until 310. Those extra overs could have proven decisive.
  • Options

Charles said:

Tory remainers like you created the conditions that allowed him.to thrive. He is your creature not ours. Grow a spine and take some responsibility for once.
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024
    Pulpstar said:

By the way I'll ask my colleague in 2020 what the prevailing views are from the US parent regarding Trump / Warren or w/e.

This time round they hated Clinton apparently.

They're Toledo, Ohio based so the anecdata might be very useful.

I've said it before and I'll say it again....anecdata is the way forward.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,587
    edited November 2016

Charles said:

Tory remainers like you created the conditions that allowed him.to thrive. He is your creature not ours. Grow a spine and take some responsibility for once.
    So you want me to take responsibility for your party leader?

Well it is a view I suppose.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,822
    AndyJS said:

I don't know why Cook didn't declare when 275 ahead instead of waiting until 310. Those extra overs could have proven decisive.

More to the point, why did they not force the pace on the final morning ? They actually scored slower than during the previous evening session.

In any event, Cook is Captain Cautious, not Courageous... and is possibly not unconcerned with his test average.
  • Options
    john_zimsjohn_zims Posts: 3,399
    @FF43

'It would leave the putative EU army as the only international defence pact in place, However, I think Trump would find it difficult to dump NATO. The US is too heavily invested. In any case Trump's purpose is to get others to contribute more not to get rid of the outfit entirely. This is a spat between Germany mainly and the US and doesn't involve us one way or the other.'

Easier still, if you don't pay the membership fee of the club you lose your membership.

• Options
    edited November 2016
    AndyJS said:

Yeah but then India get off to 150-0 off the first 30 overs, and you've got a problem on your hands.

This sort of thing:

http://www.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/current/match/860267.html
  • Options
    So awful it is brilliant from SeanT

@thomasknox: If America is now "the new Vietnam" then that makes Donald Trump: Agent Orange. Thankyou. I'll be in Australia all week.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

That's something you do when you're trailing in the Test series, not in the first match of the series.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,822

AndyJS said:

That's something you do when you're trailing in the Test series, not in the first match of the series.
    Except this might be our best chance of a win...
  • Options

Charles said:

So you want me to take responsibility for your party leader?

Well it is a view I suppose.
    You tried to blame a section of your own party for him. It's a view I suppose. Hypocrite.
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024
    What is an exburb? In the analysis of trumps victory I keep reading he won these bigly. Which towns/cities would be simmilar if any in the U.K?
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

AndyJS said:

Except this might be our best chance of a win...
    Maybe.

The main issue now is how do you get Jimmy Anderson into the team now that he's fit?

We need all three spinners, so you'll have to drop a seamer.

So you're going to have to drop one of Stokes, Woakes, or Broad.

Stokes ain't getting dropped, Woakes has been our player of 2016, so it is either don't play Jimmy or drop Broad
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Wait for reports of him arriving at Heathrow, he'll probably go sub 10s at some point (Again). Lay him at that point.

Corbyn will be out on his ear if his soundly thrashed at 2020 (Or before) you'll collect at that point.

Don't forget you can lay others too.
    Thanks.

Miliband is the British Rubio.

(Or British Bush)
  • Options
    nunu said:

What is an exburb? In the analysis of trumps victory I keep reading he won these bigly. Which towns/cities would be simmilar if any in the U.K?

An exurb is one of those rich only commutable by car areas outside the city's suburbs.
  • Options
    Mr. Max, Thatcher is to lefties as Hannibal was to Rome. Even generations down the road, they still scare their children with the words "Thatcher ad portas!"
  • Options
    stodge said:

<
    Give the full facts!
    Net gain of 30 councillors in May.
    Net gain of 18 seats since May was 'elected'.
    +23.4% swing in Witney by-election

This is a betting site, don't just give partial information.

http://www2.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2016/11/11/for-the-2nd-week-running-con-make-a-local-by-election-gain-this-time-from-lab/
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-37719170

TC_Political Betting never says anything positive about the Lib Dems - it's well known to anyone who uses the site.
    I was being positive and generous when I predicted 1 Lib Dem MEP in 2014. One PB chap suggested it was a wet dream. Most unkind.

Seriously, I have said that I expect some LD councillor gains over the next few years but that this will be at a rate that will take them >30 years to get back to where they once were. After losing 3,000 councillors from their peak, adding 30 councillors is a recovery rate of 1%!
  • Options

Mr. Max, Thatcher is to lefties as Hannibal was to Rome. Even generations down the road, they still scare their children with the words "Thatcher ad portas!"

Nonsense. Thatcher actually won a war.
  • Options
    Mr. Eagles, Hannibal marauding in Italy was more impressive than anything Thatcher achieved, but both made a severe psychological imprint on their foes.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Yeah, it would have given India enough overs to go for the win...
  • Options

nunu said:

An exurb is one of those rich only commutable by car areas outside the city's suburbs.
    So the British equivalent would be the stockbroker belt for London and places like Alderley Edge and Prestbury for Manchester?
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584

new thread

• Options

NEW THREAD

• Options
    MaxPB said:

Additionally Trump all but kills off any chance of another one off amnesty for the 11m illegals currently in the country. I do wonder whether the dynamics have already changed. If Trump wins a second term then the US could look very different electorally than it does now. The settled view on migration once the wall/fence is completed is probably going to be anti, even in liberal border states. The Dems are going to find it tough if whites become a block vote but they are unable to increase the size of their block vote by migration and amnesties.

For the time being at least, I think you are right that any potential manifesto based on inclusiveness is killed off. The long term trend amongst the college educated whites, which is the most important voting demographic, and a growing one, is a slow drift from somewhat Republican to half and half Democrat and Republican. That trend continued in the latest election.

Democrats get the bulk of support from non Whites and Hispanics (representing 40% of the population but a much smaller percentage of voters). That party is better set up for the long term than the Republicans, even if they have had the stuffing knocked out of them just now.
This discussion has been closed.