Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The New Political Divide, Part III

Comments

• Options
    rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,920
    Pulpstar said:

Nigelb said:

Alistair said:

Just heard clip of head of CNN saying they gave Trump too much coverage. Find this and Facebook promise to clamp down on "false" news very worrying. Also when will they get it...Censorship will just encourage even more conspiracy theories.

Well, given that the TRump campaign is threatening legal action against people who say mean things about Trump it's a two way street.

An Facebook isn't clamping down on false news, it's clamping down on fake news. Bogus websites made to look like legitimate but non-existent newspapers. There's a cookie cutter template for them that basically fills in The Daily "City Name Here" Times template around the bogus story.
    Trump is bonkers...and he can't because of freedom of speech and all his "open up libel laws" is bollocks.

BUT....I am trying to look at this at how to we avoid another Trump. Well CNN think we should reduce coverage of what they actually say, that will do it. It is a) censorship, which never has a good outcome and b) again failure to understand or want to understand why he won.

Again, although Zuckerberg says fake news on Facebook didn't win it for Trump, some outlets are again using this as an excuse for him winning. They were also shall we kindly saying already adjusting the trending patterns of news on their site, and again this just reinforces the conspiracy theorists.

Like Brexit, we have these easy excuses for a result certain people don't like, it was the thick racists watching CNN and believing everything they read on The Facebook. For starters, the thick racists ain't watching the Clinton News Network.

Like Brexit many thick racists voted to leave, but they don't make anywhere near 50% of the population. In the US, educational standards aren't as high and there are more issues with race, but again there are many more complicated factors to why Trump beat Clinton, than racists, CNN showing Trump speeches or The Facebook.
    Trump is bonkers...and he can't because of freedom of speech and all his "open up libel laws" is bollocks.

Not entirely, should he get to shape the Supreme Court, beyond the single appointment currently in his gift.
    The modern interpretation of the First Amendment, creation of 'judicial activism' that it is, remains vulnerable to judicial activism in the opposite direction.
    Ted Cruz for SCOTUS potentially.

And there are fair odds that he will replace another Justice as well.
    I find that one hard to believe... for one thing- is Trump really ready to forget the non-endorsement slight at the convention? For another... would Cruz accept- wouldn't he still harbour presidential ambitions?
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

With reference to Nigel Farage and Donald Trump, is it normal for governments to use leaders of opposition parties to implement government policies? And if not, why should that change now?

Another thing the PB Tory leavers got wrong.

I was assured Nigel Farage would be nowhere near the levers of power in the event of a Leave victory.
    Lalala, hand wave, tumbleweed, look squirrel etc.
    Juvenile.
    I was referring to the absolute dearth of comment from Leavers on Farage's self promoted lynchpin status, several of whom also assured me & the wider public that Farage would be nowhere near the levers of power in the event of Brexit.
    Commenting on Scottish politicos, who pretend to have levers when they don't, seems to have blinded to the reality that Farage merely visited Trump.
    You'll have to translate that for me. Though I am getting the distinct impression that levers get you excited.
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,956
    edited November 2016

Mortimer said:

With reference to Nigel Farage and Donald Trump, is it normal for governments to use leaders of opposition parties to implement government policies? And if not, why should that change now?

I was assured Nigel Farage would be nowhere near the levers of power in the event of a Leave victory.
    Juvenile.
    I was referring to the absolute dearth of comment from Leavers on Farage's self promoted lynchpin status, several of whom also assured me & the wider public that Farage would be nowhere near the levers of power in the event of Brexit.
    Commenting on Scottish politicos, who pretend to have levers when they don't, seems to have blinded to the reality that Farage merely visited Trump. He is not in government, nor even in any elected British office. His only position is as interim leader of a party and MEP, both of which are likely to disappear in the coming months and years.

Lots of hot air, whether from Sturgeon or Farage, don't equal levers of power within the British govt.
    It isn't just hot air from Farage

Theresa May is facing a growing Cabinet backlash over her decision to dismiss Nigel Farage despite him being the only British politician to meet with Donald Trump since his victory.

The Telegraph understands a number of members of the Cabinet and other Government ministers believe the Prime Minister's allies have made a mistake by referring to Mr Farage as an “irrelevance”.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/11/13/theresa-may-facing-cabinet-backlash-over-refusal-to-deal-with-ni/
    'Understands'

'Number of ministers'

Yep, sounds like hot air to me...

You're becoming a bit Tim earred to news about May.
  • Options

Mortimer said:

Juvenile.
    Commenting on Scottish politicos, who pretend to have levers when they don't, seems to have blinded to the reality that Farage merely visited Trump. He is not in government, nor even in any elected British office. His only position is as interim leader of a party and MEP, both of which are likely to disappear in the coming months and years.

Lots of hot air, whether from Sturgeon or Farage, don't equal levers of power within the British govt.

Theresa May is facing a growing Cabinet backlash over her decision to dismiss Nigel Farage despite him being the only British politician to meet with Donald Trump since his victory.

The Telegraph understands a number of members of the Cabinet and other Government ministers believe the Prime Minister's allies have made a mistake by referring to Mr Farage as an “irrelevance”.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/11/13/theresa-may-facing-cabinet-backlash-over-refusal-to-deal-with-ni/
    Endorsing Farage as a formal mechanism of government would defeat the purpose. WHat May needs in an informal channel.
  • Options
    GeoffMGeoffM Posts: 6,071

Source for that? Isn't the wall in most places just structural stonework with rubble infill, in which case any (ahem) settlement will be easy to compensate for. It's also 400 people for every 8 or 9 kilometres on average if it was *all* the workers entombed.

One of the popular legends about this is that of Meng Jiagnu.

Meng and her husband lived in a nearby village and on their wedding day, the soldiers forcibly took away her husband for the construction of the great wall. When a year passed without any news from her husband, Meng decided to go look for him. Upon reaching the Great Wall, Meng was told by the conscripted labourers that her husband had been worked to death, and that the dead workers were buried under the Great Wall. Upon hearing this news, Meng began to cry loudly and hit the wall. A huge chunk of the Great Wall collapsed, revealing countless mounds of human bones.

The angry Emperor of the Qin Dynasty came to survey the damage done to his project. But when he saw Meng Jiang, he was enchanted by her beauty and wanted to marry her. Meng put forward three conditions for the marriage — firstly, she wanted her former husband to be given a grand burial; second, the emperor and his court must go into mourning for him; and lastly she wanted to visit the ocean. Though, the emperor wasn’t very happy with the second condition, he agreed so that he could gain this rare beauty. After Meng got her third wish fulfilled, she scolded the Emperor bitterly and cast herself into the ocean.

• Options
    Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

Juvenile.

'Understands'

'Number of ministers'

Yep, sounds like hot air to me...

You're becoming a bit Tim earred to news about May.
    Smile inducing typo there, in PB context!
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670

Alistair said:

Pulpstar said:

I'm not so sure a wall won't be built -

Israel:
    290.6 billion USD ‎(2013)
    Length of wall: 650 kilometers
    Israel Pop: 8 million or so

USA GDP: 16.77 trillion USD (2013)
    Length of USA-Mexico border 3,201 kilometers
    USA pop: 320 millionish

I'm not saying its a great idea, but I don't see a fundamental block to it.

Also it's a huge federal construction project, which will create jobs, enrich Trump's friends and create political kickbacks.

Also
    China:
    Length of wall: 8,850 kilometers
    China pop: 75 million to 200 million (Ming dynasty)
    I'm unsure that the Great Wall construction is something we'd want to replicate nowadays:

When Emperor Qin Shi Huang ordered construction of the Great Wall around 221 B.C., the labor force that built the wall was made up largely of soldiers and convicts. It is said that as many as 400,000 people died during the wall's construction; many of these workers were buried within the wall itself.

http://www.history.com/topics/great-wall-of-china

Although the idea might appeal to some on here ...
    They were not burried within the wall itself. Urban myth, thet would have compromised the structural integrity of the wall.
    Source for that? Isn't the wall in most places just structural stonework with rubble infill, in which case any (ahem) settlement will be easy to compensate for. It's also 400 people for every 8 or 9 kilometres on average if it was *all* the workers entombed.
    The Qin Shi Huang wall was made almost entirely of packed earth that would have crumbled as corpses rotted in it, it is not the sturdy brick wall of "modern" times.

• Options
    Mortimer said:

stodge said:

At a fundamental level, it's about trying to re-create the village life from which our forebears came - where you knew everyone and everyone knew you. In a global online world, the village has gone but deep down we want it back and feel comfortable in it.

Yes, strangers are welcome but only if they are like us. PB is much the same. Posters who have expressed views or challenged the prevailing ethos have been hounded and even driven off the site.

Trump's win, like Brexit, is part driven by nostalgia - a desire to return to the village, to the romanticised idyll of the past where we were in control of our destiny and where we had all the things that gave our lives meaning and status - job, house, family, control, the way of life we wanted to have without other people telling us how to live.

The trouble with the past is it's a comforting place but it's no help for the present or future. Shaping the future starts with not only the recognition that the present isn't working but the past didn't work either and being receptive to different ideas and ways is how the future gets shaped.

The dangerous thing is that people who use their Twitter and Facebook feeds as barometers of public opinion (without realising that by their very nature they are echo chambers) think that everything they say is not just what they believe, but what is true and mainstream opinion. They are also awash with conspiracy theories which gain bizarre traction. That's how you end up with disbelief and grief when your side loses and an assumption that the world is rigged against you.

There's been far too much evidence this year of people for whom democracy only counts when they win.
    e.g. Trump
    Of course. He and his supporters would have been just the same as the HRC fans, if not worse. That's pretty obvious.
    Yup.

It frustrates me that people respond to criticism of protests, 'notmypresident' etc by saying such and such a group would have done it too.

Two wrongs and all that...
    Not even two wrongs a lot of the time (though 'they would have done it' has more validity in Trump's case as he himself was more than ambivalent about committing to accepting the result beforehand).

But more frequently, the argument that 'they would have done it too' is pure projection without any evidence and simply plays to a pre-existing belief that the other side is evil and out to destroy their opponents.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,002
    rkrkrk said:

I find that one hard to believe... for one thing- is Trump really ready to forget the non-endorsement slight at the convention? For another... would Cruz accept- wouldn't he still harbour presidential ambitions?

Bridges can get mended remarkably quickly in victory.

Cruz's main concern with Trump is that he'd lose and there'd be a liberal majority on the bench for at least the next 20 years, possibly 'forever'(*).

I think Cruz would definitely accept, SCOTUS is a more secure job than Senator and he'd get to defend the constitution.
  • Options

Mortimer said:

Juvenile.
    Commenting on Scottish politicos, who pretend to have levers when they don't, seems to have blinded to the reality that Farage merely visited Trump.
    You'll have to translate that for me. Though I am getting the distinct impression that levers get you excited.
    Sturgeon likes to think she has power over constitutional affairs - turns out she should have read up on the matter.

Else she might end up meeting junior foreign ministers in restaurants...
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,554

How would it work? Farage does not support the government's policies, unless he did how could he do any envoy type of job for the government? And that's ignoring his high likelihood of saying or doing something that would result in him getting the boot.

If Farage really is a pal of The Donald it probably isn't a bad idea to make use of him unofficially, but giving him a role in government is simply asking for trouble. Fox and Johnson are a handful as it is, May would be foolish to add Farage on top.
  • Options
    weejonnieweejonnie Posts: 3,820

stodge said:

Morning all :)

In response to Corporeal's missive (for which many thanks), I would argue the adage "people like people like themselves" has always held true, As I look back through my life and the friendships and relationships I have had, the common factor is they were all with people with similar traits.

There have always been "echo chambers" - there were fewer once. You might argue there were once only three "upper class, middle class and working class". Now, the number has increased exponentially and include political preference, football team, postcode where you live, the games you play, the tv you watch.

At a fundamental level, it's about trying to re-create the village life from which our forebears came - where you knew everyone and everyone knew you. In a global online world, the village has gone but deep down we want it back and feel comfortable in it.

Yes, strangers are welcome but only if they are like us. PB is much the same. Posters who have expressed views or challenged the prevailing ethos have been hounded and even driven off the site.

Trump's win, like Brexit, is part driven by nostalgia - a desire to return to the village, to the romanticised idyll of the past where we were in control of our destiny and where we had all the things that gave our lives meaning and status - job, house, family, control, the way of life we wanted to have without other people telling us how to live.

The trouble with the past is it's a comforting place but it's no help for the present or future. Shaping the future starts with not only the recognition that the present isn't working but the past didn't work either and being receptive to different ideas and ways is how the future gets shaped.

..snip...

There's been far too much evidence this year of people for whom democracy only counts when they win.
    e.g. Trump
    Of course. He and his supporters would have been just the same as the HRC fans, if not worse. That's pretty obvious.
    Yes, both Trump and Farage said explicitly that they would not accept the result if they lost.
    Trump called for a protest march when it looked like the previous election would result in Obama winning the EC but losing the popular vote - he's not doing that this year.
    No trump did not - this is a MSM lie - he said he would accept the result if it was clear but reserved the right to contest http://time.com/4538855/donald-trump-election-results-recount/

"Of course I would accept a clear result, but I would also reserve the right to file a legal in the case of a questionable result. I will follow and abide by all the rules and traditions of all the many candidates that have come before me."
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Alistair said:

Just heard clip of head of CNN saying they gave Trump too much coverage. Find this and Facebook promise to clamp down on "false" news very worrying. Also when will they get it...Censorship will just encourage even more conspiracy theories.

Well, given that the TRump campaign is threatening legal action against people who say mean things about Trump it's a two way street.

An Facebook isn't clamping down on false news, it's clamping down on fake news. Bogus websites made to look like legitimate but non-existent newspapers. There's a cookie cutter template for them that basically fills in The Daily "City Name Here" Times template around the bogus story.

BUT....I am trying to look at this at how to we avoid another Trump. Well CNN think we should reduce coverage of what they actually say, that will do it. It is a) censorship, which never has a good outcome and b) again failure to understand or want to understand why he won.

Again, although Zuckerberg says fake news on Facebook didn't win it for Trump, some outlets are again using this as an excuse for him winning. They were also shall we kindly saying already adjusting the trending patterns of news on their site, and again this just reinforces the conspiracy theorists.

Like Brexit, we have these easy excuses for a result certain people don't like, it was the thick racists watching CNN and believing everything they read on The Facebook. For starters, the thick racists ain't watching the Clinton News Network.

Like Brexit many thick racists voted to leave, but they don't make anywhere near 50% of the population. In the US, educational standards aren't as high and there are more issues with race, but again there are many more complicated factors to why Trump beat Clinton, than racists, CNN showing Trump speeches or The Facebook.

Not entirely, should he get to shape the Supreme Court, beyond the single appointment currently in his gift.
    The modern interpretation of the First Amendment, creation of 'judicial activism' that it is, remains vulnerable to judicial activism in the opposite direction.
    American freedom of speech has usually been constrained far more by social and political pressure than by the legal process.
  • Options
    1) Contiunity Osborneism would exacerbate that. May's policies actually help to smash UKIP

2) UKIP are very good at winning large numbers of votes, but very bad at winning elections in FPTP.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,075
    edited November 2016
    Alistair said:

Alistair said:

Pulpstar said:

I'm not so sure a wall won't be built -

Israel:
    290.6 billion USD ‎(2013)
    Length of wall: 650 kilometers
    Israel Pop: 8 million or so

USA GDP: 16.77 trillion USD (2013)
    Length of USA-Mexico border 3,201 kilometers
    USA pop: 320 millionish

I'm not saying its a great idea, but I don't see a fundamental block to it.

Also it's a huge federal construction project, which will create jobs, enrich Trump's friends and create political kickbacks.

Also
    China:
    Length of wall: 8,850 kilometers
    China pop: 75 million to 200 million (Ming dynasty)
    I'm unsure that the Great Wall construction is something we'd want to replicate nowadays:

When Emperor Qin Shi Huang ordered construction of the Great Wall around 221 B.C., the labor force that built the wall was made up largely of soldiers and convicts. It is said that as many as 400,000 people died during the wall's construction; many of these workers were buried within the wall itself.

http://www.history.com/topics/great-wall-of-china

Although the idea might appeal to some on here ...
    They were not burried within the wall itself. Urban myth, thet would have compromised the structural integrity of the wall.
    The Qin Shi Huang wall was made almost entirely of packed earth that would have crumbled as corpses rotted in it, it is not the sturdy brick wall of "modern" times.

Thanks to you and GeoffM.

I'm still not fully unconvinced it isn't possible for many to have been buried within it.

Edit: from GeoffM's kink:

Archaeologists have even discovered numerous human remains buried under sections of the wall.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

rkrkrk said:

Cruz's main concern with Trump is that he'd lose and there'd be a liberal majority on the bench for at least the next 20 years, possibly 'forever'(*).

I think Cruz would definitely accept, SCOTUS is a more secure job than Senator and he'd get to defend the constitution.
    Is he a judge? I always assumed one had to be for SCOTUS?
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Juvenile.
    True though, the Tory frothers cannot believe they will only be able to deal with "The Donald" via their nemesis Nigel. Poetic justice at its finest.
    Yes, it's a sad state of affairs. Sir Malc was bravely trying to play it down earlier but the situation is clear: Farage now wields enormous power and Tory ministers will have to grovel. I don't have much sympathy with the Tory Leavers though. Many were gleeful about a Trump win because they thought he'd be sympathetic about a trade deal. Little did they know it will be conducted entirely on UKIP's terms.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

rkrkrk said:

Thinking about that - could any hardline SCOTUS members retire so that their opinions could be passed on to a younger generation? Not sure of their ages but I suspect that they are not all in the first flush of youth.
  • Options
    Putting Ted Cruz in the Supreme Court would be a very neat way of kicking him upstairs.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,827
    The Thing from the Swamp wants to drain the swamp ??
  • Options
    weejonnie said:

stodge said:

Morning all :)

In response to Corporeal's missive (for which many thanks), I would argue the adage "people like people like themselves" has always held true, As I look back through my life and the friendships and relationships I have had, the common factor is they were all with people with similar traits.

There have always been "echo chambers" - there were fewer once. You might argue there were once only three "upper class, middle class and working class". Now, the number has increased exponentially and include political preference, football team, postcode where you live, the games you play, the tv you watch.

Trump's to live.

The the future gets shaped.

..snip...

e.g. Trump
    Yes, both Trump and Farage said explicitly that they would not accept the result if they lost.
    Trump called for a protest march when it looked like the previous election would result in Obama winning the EC but losing the popular vote - he's not doing that this year.
    No trump did not - this is a MSM lie - he said he would accept the result if it was clear but reserved the right to contest http://time.com/4538855/donald-trump-election-results-recount/

"Of course I would accept a clear result, but I would also reserve the right to file a legal in the case of a questionable result. I will follow and abide by all the rules and traditions of all the many candidates that have come before me."

Nope - he Tweeted extensively in 2012 about the injustice of Romney potentially losing the electoral college, but winning the popular vote, and said people should march on Washington DC if that happened.
    http://www.cbsnews.com/news/donald-trump-calls-electoral-college-a-disaster-during-2012-tweetstorm/

• Options
    Utterly predictable. The Tory forces of Brexit have signed their own death warrant.
  • Options

Mortimer said:

stodge said:

The dangerous thing is that people who use their Twitter and Facebook feeds as barometers of public opinion (without realising that by their very nature they are echo chambers) think that everything they say is not just what they believe, but what is true and mainstream opinion. They are also awash with conspiracy theories which gain bizarre traction. That's how you end up with disbelief and grief when your side loses and an assumption that the world is rigged against you.

e.g. Trump
    Yup.

It frustrates me that people respond to criticism of protests, 'notmypresident' etc by saying such and such a group would have done it too.

Two wrongs and all that...
    Not even two wrongs a lot of the time (though 'they would have done it' has more validity in Trump's case as he himself was more than ambivalent about committing to accepting the result beforehand).

But more frequently, the argument that 'they would have done it too' is pure projection without any evidence and simply plays to a pre-existing belief that the other side is evil and out to destroy their opponents.
    Yup. A mate on FB had one of his periodic explosions at me last week - apparently I am trying to be the moral policeman of Facebook for having the temerity to disagree with him on some article about something close to his SJW heart...
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,068
    weejonnie said:

Pulpstar said:

rkrkrk said:

Thinking about that - could any hardline SCOTUS members retire so that their opinions could be passed on to a younger generation? Not sure of their ages but I suspect that they are not all in the first flush of youth.
    But it's an amazing job. Why would you want to give it up?
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    edited November 2016
    Alistair said:

We had a lot of those fake (or to be kind, satirical) sites linked to pb by the Trump fans. It wasted a good deal of time, and suggested that at least some of those posting links were not actually reading beyond the headline.
  • Options
    Ada is an old computer language designed for people who found Pascal too exciting.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

rkrkrk said:

From what I've seen, Trump will murder you if he thinks you are a rival but is perfectly willing to work with you once he's established his superiority.
  • Options
    weejonnie said:

Pulpstar said:

rkrkrk said:

I know they're partisan but they're still actual lawyers. I'd be a bit surprised if they were prepared to give up their seats if they expected them to be filled by pure political hacks.
  • Options
    weejonnie said:

Pulpstar said:

rkrkrk said:

Between Bayer and Ginsburg, the probability of the reaper must be around 50% I'd have thought.
  • Options

weejonnie said:

Pulpstar said:

rkrkrk said:

I know they're partisan but they're still actual lawyers. I'd be a bit surprised if they were prepared to give up their seats if they expected them to be filled by pure political hacks.
    They're only partisan in that the parties, like them, take social views.
  • Options

Ada is an old computer language designed for people who found Pascal too exciting.

I quite liked Modula-2. Does that count? ;)
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    Blimey Kennedy is 80 too. He's the neutral(ish) one I think.

The morbidity tables look to favour the conservatives to me.
  • Options
    @thhamilton: Whatever gave Nigel Farage the idea that Liam Fox might be relaxed about letting someone pretend to be an official government adviser?
  • Options
    weejonnie said:

Pulpstar said:

rkrkrk said:

From what I've seen, Trump will murder you if he thinks you are a rival but is perfectly willing to work with you once he's established his superiority.
    All the more reason Cruz isn't likely to be a SCOTUS pick. Once chosen, they are beyond the control of any president.
    IMO, Trump is more likely to use his pick(s) as a high value bargaining chip with republican Congress.
  • Options

malcolmg said:

Juvenile.
    True though, the Tory frothers cannot believe they will only be able to deal with "The Donald" via their nemesis Nigel. Poetic justice at its finest.
    Yes, it's a sad state of affairs. Sir Malc was bravely trying to play it down earlier but the situation is clear: Farage now wields enormous power and Tory ministers will have to grovel. I don't have much sympathy with the Tory Leavers though. Many were gleeful about a Trump win because they thought he'd be sympathetic about a trade deal. Little did they know it will be conducted entirely on UKIP's terms.

No, it will conducted entirely on the US's terms. We will we have absolutely no leverage. The US will insist on the best possible deal for itself. Fantasies about Donald Trump giving unfettered access to UK goods and services in the US are just that. He opposes free trade and wants less of it.

• Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,068
    Mortimer said:

Pulpstar said:

rkrkrk said:

Bush tried to appoint the Whitehouse Counsel to SCOTUS
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

weejonnie said:

Pulpstar said:

rkrkrk said:

Only around 30% of SC justices die in office.
  • Options
    A whole new Birther movement is born. Boom tish.

In bizarre ‘birther’ twist, claims Trump is Pakistani

Report says president-elect was born as Dawood Ibrahim Khan in Waziristan before being adopted by American family

http://www.timesofisrael.com/in-bizarre-birther-twist-claims-trump-is-pakistani/
  • Options
    @theuniondivvie @TheScreamingEagles From the look of May's odd Mansion House speech she's seen the threat of Brexit becoming Trexit ( just as Farage has spotted the opportunity ) May also seems to have grasped that Trexit would trigger buyers remorse in a few Brexit voters. Worth noting Farage had Kassam with him at Trump Tower and Banks has backed Kassam for leader.

All Trump does is Turbo charge the base problem that Brexit was a rejection of something by a majority coalition of voters who don't agree on a replacement. That doesn't/didn't matter as the coalition would hold until after it was too late to reverse Brexit. However turning Brexit into Trexit may be a bridge too far for a 3.8% majority. The other issue is the Anglocentric nature of Brexit thinking. We could blow up our EU membership safe in the knowledge the rest of the liberal international order is there to fall back on. But what happens if the rest of the international order is being blown up at the same time ?

Presumably there is a Greek Myth somewhere on something can only happen in circumstances that cause it to subsequently fail. I suppose Midas, Cassandra and Tantalus hint at this.

This is what now faces our PB globalizing Leavers. Like Dr Frankenstein can they control what they've created ?
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Mortimer said:

Pulpstar said:

rkrkrk said:

Indeed. Which was up there with Caligula making Incitatus a senator
  • Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,853
    edited November 2016
    After an initial deep breath and "maybe not so bad thought", I'd already been stocking up on Trump doom over the weekend, in articles like these linked pair.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/tobias-stone/history-tells-us-what-will-brexit-trump_b_11179774.html
    http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2016/04/america-tyranny-donald-trump.html

Not perfect these - you'd heavily dispute the HuffPost examples showing societies hitting their liberal democratic apogee before self-destructing (even the original Plato would have been hard-pressed placing the rise of Gen Al-Sisi follows into that pattern).

But then someone as usually unhyperbolic as David Herdson calls Fascism on Trump and ruins my Monday catchup. The four risks of Trump may not come to pass, due to the strength of those democratic checks and balances, or simply by not being true, but they are pretty scary:

Fascism - could we rule out incidents of firing on protesters, could poorly controlled second amendment militias help out putting Mexicans in internment camps, and how far will pliant Republicans stretch justifying initially 'reasonable' positions if these turn ugly and will they ultimately face such eventualities down (after all, as we well know here, internment of immigrants and firing on protestors have long history in places that we would not describe as other than liberal democracies).

Alignment with Putin - the Baltic states could well be on the precipice of at very least a frozen conflict. How we can respond to what looks like a shaky NATO commitment even without Trump playing the Russian patsy. At worst, Brexit could proceed from a 24 nation EU, not aa 27 nation - and we may come to look upon an EU army not as some vanity project but as a necessity.

Trade - Even if the above are untrue, "the first president to be unashamedly protectionist since the 1920s" should ring alarm bells. And what of the UK running headlong towards Trump, ignoring the other risks. Is it the protectionist Trump, in which case "no deal" or is it the Fascist/Putinist Trump looking for Russophilic vassals and a desparate post-Brexit UK Conservative party who provide that vassal. In which case commie Corbyn is cast in the role of the Western democratic bullwark and self-styled Churchillian scholar Johnson failing to see any danger and being cast as Vichy (and what a n*b cheese he has been this weekend). The ultimate irony of ironies.

Simple unpredictability - Trump rules as a broadly conservative politician, doing uncomfortable things on immigration, unborn rights in a broadly orthodox way, but with significant foreign policy power just blows the gaffe by getting it badly worn somewhere like Korea.

What will go wrong. I don't know. What can go wrong. Everything.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,080
    edited November 2016
    Mortimer said:

Juvenile.

And yet the first UK politician ( in fact the first non US one as well ) to be specially invited to come over and visit is Nigel. Have you heard a peep about the pymgies in charge, they are squabbling between them on whether they should ask Nigel to beg "The Donald" to talk to them.
    Lots of tears in cabinet meeting today I fear as the losers berate themselves for underestimating Nigel.

PS: "Levers of power " made me laugh, they could not burst a wet paper poke
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

rcs1000 said:

weejonnie said:

Pulpstar said:

rkrkrk said:

Ginsburg will not give up her job under President Trump. She wouldn't under Obama, when the Dems could have done with her doing so !
  • Options

@theuniondivvie @TheScreamingEagles From the look of May's odd Mansion House speech she's seen the threat of Brexit becoming Trexit ( just as Farage has spotted the opportunity ) May also seems to have grasped that Trexit would trigger buyers remorse in a few Brexit voters. Worth noting Farage had Kassam with him at Trump Tower and Banks has backed Kassam for leader.

All Trump does is Turbo charge the base problem that Brexit was a rejection of something by a majority coalition of voters who don't agree on a replacement. That doesn't/didn't matter as the coalition would hold until after it was too late to reverse Brexit. However turning Brexit into Trexit may be a bridge too far for a 3.8% majority. The other issue is the Anglocentric nature of Brexit thinking. We could blow up our EU membership safe in the knowledge the rest of the liberal international order is there to fall back on. But what happens if the rest of the international order is being blown up at the same time ?

Presumably there is a Greek Myth somewhere on something can only happen in circumstances that cause it to subsequently fail. I suppose Midas, Cassandra and Tantalus hint at this.

This is what now faces our PB globalizing Leavers. Like Dr Frankenstein can they control what they've created ?

May's basic problem is one that will affect us all: she has to keep the Fox/Davis/Johnson fantasist wing onside to stay in her job. And it is the job that matters to her more than anything.

• Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,631
    Just read that Trump isn't going to try and reverse equal marriage in the US, saying the SCOTUS has settled the issue. I wonder whether the abortion rhetoric will eventually go the same way. The wall has turned into a part wall/part fence/part river/part mountain. Repeal Obamacare has turned into, hold on let me keep the bits that everyone likes and force the GOP into increasing Medicaid funding (and I'm going to guess this will also come with collective bargaining on drug prices to pay for it).

Overall I'm not convinced that Trump will be the harbinger of doom that so many think (and hope, unfortunately) he will. In the end he will continue Obama's policies on deportation of illegals, end the stupid sanctuary status that trumped up liberal city officials have come up with and expand the border fence in places and erect a wall in other places.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Mortimer said:

Juvenile.

And yet the first UK politician ( in fact the first non US one as well ) to be specially invited to come over and visit is Nigel. Have you heard a peep about the pymgies in charge, they are squabbling between them on whether they should ask Nigel to beg "The Donald" to talk to them.
    Lots of tears in cabinet meeting today I fear as the losers berate themselves for underestimating Nigel.

He advised Trump, he spoke at Trump rallies. No cabinet member would have done that and this is the result.
  • Options
    FregglesFreggles Posts: 3,486

Erm. Hasn't Kassam pulled out of the race?
  • Options

malcolmg said:

Mortimer said:

Juvenile.

He advised Trump, he spoke at Trump rallies. No cabinet member would have done that and this is the result.
    I doubt any cabinet minister *could* have spoken at rallies, for either side. It's Farage's 'outsider' status (and what a laugh that is) that allows it.
  • Options
    Freggles said:

Yes, Nuttall is basically being given a clear run and a chance to turn UKIP into Trump for the north. If he can't do that then I think Banks and Farage will start a new party aimed at achieving that.
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

Juvenile.
    Sturgeon likes to think she has power over constitutional affairs - turns out she should have read up on the matter.

Mortimer, you cannot be as stupid as you make out , I presume you are baiting TUD and that you know well that Sturgeon is not a turnip like your average Tory Cabinet minister, that she knows she has no power(s) and merely points it out to show the few deluded NO voters left that think otherwise.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Freggles said:

Yes, Nuttall is basically being given a clear run and a chance to turn UKIP into Trump for the north. If he can't do that then I think Banks and Farage will start a new party aimed at achieving that.
    Banks doesn't really like Nuttall, who he thinks will let the traitors stay in UKIP.
  • Options
    Another straw in the wind?
    http://www.standard.co.uk/news/politics/jeremy-corbyn-candidate-suffers-surprise-defeat-in-london-a3394836.html

Unison - which has supported Corbyn up to now - abstained.
  • Options

Nope - he Tweeted extensively in 2012 about the injustice of Romney potentially losing the electoral college, but winning the popular vote, and said people should march on Washington DC if that happened.
    http://www.cbsnews.com/news/donald-trump-calls-electoral-college-a-disaster-during-2012-tweetstorm/

The thought that Romney MIGHT have won the popular vote (he didn't) was enough to set Trump off on one.

Clinton has, now well ahead 47.8% to 47.3%, about 670,000, with the gap growing. The national polls weren't that far off.

How about 20th Jan 2017 for that march on Washington?
  • Options

malcolmg said:

Juvenile.
    Yes absolutely poetic justice , I cannot stop smiling at the thought of those absolute dullards in the cabinet trying to work out how they were outwitted.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,048
    CD13 said:

Mr L,

"But the vast majority of the MSM were against Trump and genuinely offended by the things he said and had done. And the people were not, at least a significant number were not."

People often say offensive things, certainly in my hearing. And especially in pubs. They say it to make a point and it's usually exaggerated. They may even say things they don't really mean. Surely they do that in London too?

The MSM by comparison tread on eggshells. They fear a backlash even if it's merely badly expressed. The "you can't say that" horror. The snowflake generation seem to rule in the elite world.

I remember Alan Hansen being savagely attacked for supporting the anti-racism push in football because he used the word "coloured". Oh, the horror, he must be a racist! Burn him.

That's why Germaine Greer becomes a misogynist. Normal people just think these snowflakes are bonkers (or is the expression ... have mental health issues? No, it's bonkers). Whatever happened to "Sticks and stones ..."

Trump says bonkers things occasionally. The MSM hold up their frocks and dance around. Clearly many Americans just think ... Exaggerated but yeah, he's talking their language.

They insult their friends sometimes for fun, they may even stereotype them but they remain friends. They know the difference between banter and genuine hatred. If you don't you're eligible to be part of the MSM, and you can buy a ticket to the offence bus. And welcome to the bubble.

I think you may be on to something. Trump may be a racist and sexist - the number of things he has said and how he has said it point that way as far as I'm concerned - but there is a difference between sometimes, especially in moments of anger or thoughtlessness, merely saying something deemed racist and sexist, and actually being racist and sexist. Mere use of a word, once, does not mean you embody the worst of those who also use such words. If it is repeated, if the actions back it up, then it may mean that.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

On Topic: Clinton won Orange County. The first Democrat to do so since 1936. http://www.wsj.com/articles/in-shift-hillary-clinton-won-californias-orange-county-1479038403

California is now the US equivalent of Merseyside, politically.

And of London economically.

Not so much, outside of Silicon Valley (obviously a big exception). There is a surprising level of poverty in California, and its schools now rank with Alabama and Mississippi.

That is America, though, isn't it? Across the country, the divides in wealth are huge and lifetime outcomes are deeply unequal. Just look at life expectancy - truly shocking for the richest country on earth.

This is why free trade in the US has become unpopular. It has been used by their 1% to enrich themselves at the expense of the common worker. US companies are paying Mexican labour rates and charging the US consumer, US prices. The boom in company profits has been followed by a boom boardroom pay and bonuses while the workers are being told that they are too expensive to keep on or those that remain are being told to accept real terms pay cuts to compete with Mexican labour rates.

The difference between the US and UK in terms of trade is that the US could cut off free trade tomorrow and still have an internal market big enough to sustain itself, I don't think the UK has that option.

No, we don't. That's what makes leaving the Single Market such a huge long-term risk; especially as the US becomes less inclined towards free trade and China fills the gaps that the Americans leave behind. We will have to get used to Theresa May and Liam Fox stepping off of aeroplanes in far away places desperately trying to get deals done. And, like the Indians, every country they visit will understand just what a weak hand they have.
    I don't really want to start this discussion all over again, but I think we're both in agreement over that anyway. I just think if we stay in the single market it needs to be followed up by taking an almighty axe to in working benefits and housing benefits and the withdrawal of any benefit rights (including affordable housing or council housing) for anyone (British or European) who hasn't paid into the system for a minimum of 24 months.
  • Options
    @Freggles I didn't know he'd pulled out. But what interested me was Banks backing an obvious none winner after so obviously being hot and cold on the future of UKIP. Banks/Farage/Kassam seem to have a new project. Turning Brexit into Trexit. UKIP is now one potential means but not an end.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

Freggles said:

Banks doesn't really like Nuttall, who he thinks will let the traitors stay in UKIP.
    Yes, but he's still being given a clear run. All of the Farage surrogates have pulled out of the race. I think he'll get six months to "Make UKIP great again" and after that Banks will assess the situation.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670

Thanks to you and GeoffM.

I'm still not fully unconvinced it isn't possible for many to have been buried within it.

Edit: from GeoffM's kink:

Archaeologists have even discovered numerous human remains buried under sections of the wall.

You need to be careful with people's use of the word "under". What that means is in graveyards next to the wall rather than in the structure or foundations of the wall itself. As myth 5 here says there is no archeological or written evidence for corpses in the wall

http://www.historyextra.com/article/premium/10-myth-busting-great-wall-china-facts

Ancient rumours speak of labourers being buried in the Wall. These probably emanated from a chief historian of the Han dynasty, Sima Qian, who criticised his own emperor by slighting his Qin predecessor. However, no bones have ever been found in the Wall and there is no evidence, written or archaeological, for the slander.
  • Options
    PlatoSaidPlatoSaid Posts: 10,383
    Sam Coates
    @Arron_banks is suggesting running 200 non partisan candidates against "corrupt and/or career politicians" at the next election....
  • Options

@Freggles I didn't know he'd pulled out. But what interested me was Banks backing an obvious none winner after so obviously being hot and cold on the future of UKIP. Banks/Farage/Kassam seem to have a new project. Turning Brexit into Trexit. UKIP is now one potential means but not an end.

I'm interested to know the extent of Lord Ashcroft's involvement in all this. When you scratch the surface, his name keeps coming up at one remove.
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,977
    edited November 2016
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

On Topic: Clinton won Orange County. The first Democrat to do so since 1936. http://www.wsj.com/articles/in-shift-hillary-clinton-won-californias-orange-county-1479038403

Not so much, outside of Silicon Valley (obviously a big exception). There is a surprising level of poverty in California, and its schools now rank with Alabama and Mississippi.

That is America, though, isn't it? Across the country, the divides in wealth are huge and lifetime outcomes are deeply unequal. Just look at life expectancy - truly shocking for the richest country on earth.

This is why free trade in the US has become unpopular. It has been used by their 1% to enrich themselves at the expense of the common worker. US companies are paying Mexican labour rates and charging the US consumer, US prices. The boom in company profits has been followed by a boom boardroom pay and bonuses while the workers are being told that they are too expensive to keep on or those that remain are being told to accept real terms pay cuts to compete with Mexican labour rates.

The difference between the US and UK in terms of trade is that the US could cut off free trade tomorrow and still have an internal market big enough to sustain itself, I don't think the UK has that option.

No, we don't. That's what makes leaving the Single Market such a huge long-term risk; especially as the US becomes less inclined towards free trade and China fills the gaps that the Americans leave behind. We will have to get used to Theresa May and Liam Fox stepping off of aeroplanes in far away places desperately trying to get deals done. And, like the Indians, every country they visit will understand just what a weak hand they have.
    I don't really want to start this discussion all over again, but I think we're both in agreement over that anyway. I just think if we stay in the single market it needs to be followed up by taking an almighty axe to in working benefits and housing benefits and the withdrawal of any benefit rights (including affordable housing or council housing) for anyone (British or European) who hasn't paid into the system for a minimum of 24 months.

Yep - I get that and broadly agree (reluctantly).

• Options
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

Should be a lot longer than 24 months, try 10 years. They should also have to deposit minimum £10K in government account on arrival to ensure there is a bit of cash if they need any treatment in the interim.
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

Sam Coates
    @Arron_banks is suggesting running 200 non partisan candidates against "corrupt and/or career politicians" at the next election....

Oh my.
  • Options
    Iffy source at the moment, but Reddit has 3m non-citizen (illegals/undocumented or whatever) registrations out of 180m registered voters for this election.

If that is confirmed then it could turn into a big deal, especially given Trump struggled in Arizona and Texas.
  • Options

His stated reasons were, the level of public scrutiny, and not having a realistic chance
  • Options

PlatoSaid said:

Sam Coates

Oh my.
    If he is really going to label them corrupt then he's going to be spending a lot of time with his legal team.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Should be a lot longer than 24 months, try 10 years. They should also have to deposit minimum £10K in government account on arrival to ensure there is a bit of cash if they need any treatment in the interim.

10 years might be a big harsh, Malc. But agreed on the healthcare deposit. It's the National Health Service, not the International Health Service.
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:
    Plato, well done, congratulations, and sorry for any trolling
  • Options

PlatoSaid said:

Sam Coates

Oh my.
    If he is really going to label them corrupt then he's going to be spending a lot of time with his legal team.
    Banks hasn't got *that* much money to fund this sort of thing, he'd need further backers to stand 200 serious candidates. Or they could be the Dog Lovers' Party and not try to win.
  • Options

malcolmg said:

Juvenile.
    5% of those in the UK think Trump will be a great or good president.
    12% think he will be a poor president
    67% think he will be a terrible president

Farage is on a mission to seek personal gratification by boasting of being Trump's man in the UK, but UKIP are going to play a very high price for that.

• Options
    Pulpstar said:

Nigelb said:

rcs1000 said:

weejonnie said:

Pulpstar said:

rkrkrk said:

Ginsburg will not give up her job under President Trump. She wouldn't under Obama, when the Dems could have done with her doing so !
    I toast her continued good health on a regular basis.
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

Sam Coates

Who defines a 'career politician' and why are they deemed as bad as a corrupt one, even if they are not corrupt themselves? It doesn't sound non-partisan, it sounds like if they don't like a candidate they will call them careerist, whether they are a younger MP without much outside politics experience, or an MP with decades of experience in the Commons, since if you enter without much non-politics background you are a careerist, and if you've been in parliament for a long time that is your career. Is a careerist someone who holds a senior position, someone you suspect of wanting to hold a senior position, someone who for entirely honourable reasons agrees with their leadership consistently?

No way this is non-partisan.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

Juvenile.

Mortimer, you cannot be as stupid as you make out , I presume you are baiting TUD and that you know well that Sturgeon is not a turnip like your average Tory Cabinet minister, that she knows she has no power(s) and merely points it out to show the few deluded NO voters left that think otherwise.
    No voters are very happy she doesn't have constitutional powers over Scotland's position with other nations.

Otherwise they would have voted Yes.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

Mortimer said:

Pulpstar said:

rkrkrk said:

on the other hand, some of the greatest Justices were not judges:
    http://supreme.findlaw.com/supreme_court/justices/nopriorexp.html
  • Options
    kle4 said:

PlatoSaid said:

Sam Coates

Who defines a 'career politician' and why are they deemed as bad as a corrupt one, even if they are not corrupt themselves? It doesn't sound non-partisan, it sounds like if they don't like a candidate they will call them careerist, whether they are a younger MP without much outside politics experience, or an MP with decades of experience in the Commons, since if you enter without much non-politics background you are a careerist, and if you've been in parliament for a long time that is your career. Is a careerist someone who holds a senior position, someone you suspect of wanting to hold a senior position, someone who for entirely honourable reasons agrees with their leadership consistently?

And who defines "non partisan" ?
    Basically, a joke.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,144

Another straw in the wind?
    http://www.standard.co.uk/news/politics/jeremy-corbyn-candidate-suffers-surprise-defeat-in-london-a3394836.html

Unison - which has supported Corbyn up to now - abstained.

"husband of...."

"sister of...."

Labour really is a family business these days.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

Mortimer said:

Pulpstar said:

rkrkrk said:

Well now, can we really be sure Incitatus was not a decent senator? Granted, I can see a few drawbacks standing in his way, but compared to some?
  • Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,853
    edited November 2016
    MaxPB said:

Iffy source at the moment, but Reddit has 3m non-citizen (illegals/undocumented or whatever) registrations out of 180m registered voters for this election.

If that is confirmed then it could turn into a big deal, especially given Trump struggled in Arizona and Texas.

Or, in my doom mood, a post-truth pretext that could be used at some juncture down the road to label a further 3m Mexicans &c as 'criminal' and send them off into camps.

I'd be more than happy for it to all be a pub joke that passed over my head. But, meanwhile, forgive me for supporting some serious contingency planning here.
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,177
    So the Donald will reduce the public sector deficit by refusing to take a salary for the job.
    A Trumpet Voluntary please for the volunteer president.
    http://qz.com/836327/donald-trump-tells-60-minutes-he-wont-take-a-salary-as-us-president/
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

rcs1000 said:

Mortimer said:

Pulpstar said:

rkrkrk said:

on the other hand, some of the greatest Justices were not judges:
    http://supreme.findlaw.com/supreme_court/justices/nopriorexp.html
    Yup. But a lot of those had agile legal minds and experiences.

Harriet Miers' performance in front of the Senate judiciary committee was embarrassing as she couldn't grasp basic jurisprudence concepts.

It was like if George W Bush had decided to make his bank manager Treasury Secretary
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @iainmartin1: Under v clever @LeaveEUOfficial plan to restrict MPs to 2 terms, Thatcher would have left Commons 1966. Churchill 1910. Attlee 1924. Genius

@hugorifkind: Somebody says this every five years, as though it's a new idea. And they always end up with Kilroy and Esther Rantzen, again. twitter.com/LeaveEUOfficia…
  • Options
    kle4 said:

rcs1000 said:

Mortimer said:

Pulpstar said:

rkrkrk said:

Well now, can we really be sure Incitatus was not a decent senator? Granted, I can see a few drawbacks standing in his way, but compared to some?
    Quite.
    Often we just get the ass; the whole thing might be seen as an improvement.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,472
    edited November 2016

PlatoSaid said:

Sam Coates

Oh my.
    The Berlusconi phenomenon is heading our way.

Remember what a breath of fresh air Berlusconi seemed at first; an apparently successful businessman untainted by the notorious web of corruption that is Italian politics, sweeping away the establishment parties that had kept power within a narrow little circle for so long.

Edit/ yet another disruptive political ideology/movement that started in Italy
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

Sam Coates

Hmmmm. I'd suggest that the MPs really in his gun sights will be those who refuse to support Brexit. But I'm not sure running "outraged" candidates against them would be the smartest move.

"Corruption" has certain connotations that the libel laws might wade in on. And what is a "career politician"? Is it aimed at SPADS who get a Westminster seat? Is Dr. Sarah Wollaston now a career politician, despite having had a previous career in the NHS? It's all a bit opaque....
  • Options

Just popping in briefly to say that it's an excellent article from Corporeal, which gives much pause for thought.

'Pause for thought' or 'Cause for thought' ?

Is this a subtle insult?
  • Options
    For those of us who have been laying David Miliband as next Labour leader....

David Miliband set to return to the UK after Trump victory- sparking rumours of Corbyn leadership challenge

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/david-miliband-set-return-uk-9249884
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

PlatoSaid said:

Sam Coates

Oh my.

Remember what a breath of fresh air Berlusconi seemed at first; an apparently successful businessman untainted by the notorious web of corruption that is Italian politics, sweeping away the establishment parties that had kept power within a narrow little circle for so long.
    If anyone really thought that about Berlusconi, then they didn't ask questions as to where his initial seed-corn money came from....
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    ''All Trump does is Turbo charge the base problem that Brexit was a rejection of something by a majority coalition of voters who don't agree on a replacement.''

This is the latest comfort blanket being used by the progressive left. The uneducated mass are rebelling, but don;t know what they want, and so we don;t have to implement anything.

• Options
    kle4 said:

PlatoSaid said:

Sam Coates

Non-partisan candidate = someone who agrees with me
    Biased news = stories in the media I do not like
    Democratic control of the judiciary = courts that do what I want them to do

• Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,472

IanB2 said:

PlatoSaid said:

Sam Coates

Oh my.

If anyone really thought that about Berlusconi, then they didn't ask questions as to where his initial seed-corn money came from....
    No, they didn't, and, yes they did. He was immensely popular because of what he replaced rather than what he was. As someone once said, 'Remind you of anyone'?
  • Options
    taffys said:

''All Trump does is Turbo charge the base problem that Brexit was a rejection of something by a majority coalition of voters who don't agree on a replacement.''

This is the latest comfort blanket being used by the progressive left. The uneducated mass are rebelling, but don;t know what they want, and so we don;t have to implement anything.

No, you won so we don't have to do anything. You don't agree amongst yourselves but have to implement something. Tick Tock.
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,554

David Miliband set to return to the UK after Trump victory- sparking rumours of Corbyn leadership challenge

David Miliband has the Hilary problem of representing the establishment to a tee.
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    ''The Berlusconi phenomenon is heading our way. ''

A progressive attempt to define Trump that is doomed to failure, I reckon.

• Options
    edited November 2016
    Pro_Rata said:

MaxPB said:

Or, in my doom mood, a post-truth pretext that could be used at some juncture down the road to label a further 3m Mexicans &c as 'criminal' and send them off into camps.

I'd be more than happy for it to all be a pub joke that passed over my head. But, meanwhile, forgive me for supporting some serious contingency planning here.
    I find it highly unlikely that the US will ever go down the internment route. Processing centres and shifting people in busses back to Mexico is definitely possible, but that already exists. Trump's major change will be the destruction of "sanctuary" status in liberal cities along the west coast. I also think harsh penalties for hiring illegals including jail time and massive fines are going to come down the line. Fines for universities who offer palaces to illegals is also something I think they will look at. Basically the Trump administration will have to make it very unattractive to hire illegal immigrants and eventually once they stop getting work they will stop coming. Even middle class families who hire illegal labourers to cut the grass will face hefty fines.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,273
    edited November 2016
    The view that this whole alt right, new politics, coalition of the c***s thing is essentially one big lads' weekend that's got out of hand, with the middle aged participants trying to be nostalgically edgy certainly holds a lot of water. I just did a bit of sick in my mouth.

https://twitter.com/RaheemKassam/status/797649380564172800
  • Options
    glw said:

David Miliband has the Hilary problem of representing the establishment to a tee.
    Spot on. A brand-name that's already been trashed. In Clinton's case, a by-word for corruption. In Miliband's case, a by-word for muddled thinking and incompetence.

At David Miliband's first open event, he'd be dogged by people wearing "Ed-stone" outfits.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Pro_Rata said:

MaxPB said:

I find it highly unlikely that the US will ever go down the internment route. Processing centres and shifting people in busses back to Mexico is definitely possible, but that already exists. Trump's major change will be the destruction of "sanctuary" status in liberal cities along the west coast. I also think harsh penalties for hiring illegals including jail time and massive fines are going to come down the line. Fines for universities who offer palaces to illegals is also something I think they will look at. Basically the Trump administration will have to make it very unattractive to hire illegal immigrants and eventually once they stop getting work they will stop coming. Even middle class families who hire illegal labourers to cut the grass will face hefty fines.

I wonder how many illegals Trump businesses employ.

This discussion has been closed.