Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » After his Strictly successes it’s hard to imagine Ed Balls not

Comments

• Options

shiney2 said:

I see that May's humiliation at the hands of Farage continues apace. Farage can plausibly argue that he's now Britain's most powerful human being. Surely it won't be long before we learn that Theresa has requested a meeting with Nigel, at a time and place of his choosing. In some ways I feel sorry for May, but there's also a salutary lesson: you must always confront people like that; try to accommodate them and they'll destroy you with relish.

Farage is humiliating all of us.

Ok, I accept he is humiliating you.

But, me - not so much.

He's doing a fine job of sticking it to the know alls who demonstrably know very little - and enjoying every moment.

No, he's making himself and us look ridiculous. Obviously, some people won't have a problem with that.

Farage knows exactly what he's doing. By giving the impression that his own brand of 'Britishness' goes hand in glove with Trumpism, he hopes to spook the British Right even more than they've already been spooked. The aim is to import Trumpism here. I think the British Right will be easily co-opted - they've been in both awe and fear of Farage's alchemy for some time.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,052

HYUFD said:

I see that May's humiliation at the hands of Farage continues apace. Farage can plausibly argue that he's now Britain's most powerful human being. Surely it won't be long before we learn that Theresa has requested a meeting with Nigel, at a time and place of his choosing. In some ways I feel sorry for May, but there's also a salutary lesson: you must always confront people like that; try to accommodate them and they'll destroy you with relish.

Farage is humiliating all of us. He gives the impression Britain is swooning over Trump when, in fact, he is deeply unpopular here.

Longer term, European politicians cosying up to Trump may end up regretting it. He is not a favourite in Europe. Le Pen, for example, could well suffer as her rivals stir up the latent anti-Americanism that does not lie too far below the surface in France.

Le Pen never really cosied up to Trump like Farage did, she made one congratulatory tweet after he won and that was it. No appearances at Trump rallies or post-victory trips to Trump Tower for her. Her anti immigration, anti globalisation populism is very French, just as Trump's was very American and Boris' and Farage's very British. I expect Le Pen would go down as badly in America as Trump does in France but it is the same forces driving their rise. While Trump is unpopular here nonetheless as Comres today shows a plurality of Britons think his victory makes it easier for the UK to get a trade deal with the US so realpolitik is not far below the surface here either
    'Networking'

'Le Pens to work with Trump’s campaign manager as Front National support surges'

http://tinyurl.com/jlb4drs
    That's Marion: she's a bit different to Marine, as she's more anti-Semitic and more pro EU/big business
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 1,614
    The public are able to differentiate between elected politicians, what they say and do, and private individuals making fools of themselves on national television for money. So, as popular as Balls may be on a daft show on BBC1, that does not translate into any semblance of electability. The public are far more discerning than perhaps most of us ever give them credit for.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,111

HYUFD said:

Farage is humiliating all of us. He gives the impression Britain is swooning over Trump when, in fact, he is deeply unpopular here.

Longer term, European politicians cosying up to Trump may end up regretting it. He is not a favourite in Europe. Le Pen, for example, could well suffer as her rivals stir up the latent anti-Americanism that does not lie too far below the surface in France.

Le Pen never really cosied up to Trump like Farage did, she made one congratulatory tweet after he won and that was it. No appearances at Trump rallies or post-victory trips to Trump Tower for her. Her anti immigration, anti globalisation populism is very French, just as Trump's was very American and Boris' and Farage's very British. I expect Le Pen would go down as badly in America as Trump does in France but it is the same forces driving their rise. While Trump is unpopular here nonetheless as Comres today shows a plurality of Britons think his victory makes it easier for the UK to get a trade deal with the US so realpolitik is not far below the surface here either
    'Networking'

'Le Pens to work with Trump’s campaign manager as Front National support surges'

http://tinyurl.com/jlb4drs
    Well given Trump won it makes sense to use some of his campaign tactics just as Trump used some of Farage's
  • Options
    shiney2shiney2 Posts: 672

shiney2 said:

But, me - not so much.

He's doing a fine job of sticking it to the know alls who demonstrably know very little - and enjoying every moment.

No, he's making himself and us look ridiculous. Obviously, some people won't have a problem with that.

Our political class and others (?incl you) have spent years insulting a man who has, unexpectedly to them, become the most powerful man in the world.

Somebody has to clear up after you and he's doing a brilliant job.

You're in denial.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SJzRa7HWVqs
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Le Pen never really cosied up to Trump like Farage did, she made one congratulatory tweet after he won and that was it. While Trump is unpopular here nonetheless as Comres today shows a plurality of Britons think his victory makes it easier for the UK to get a trade deal with the US so realpolitik is not far below the surface here either

We'll see what actually happens, but polls suggest Trump is not well liked here. As for Le Pen, the FN and her family are hugging Trump close:

http://www.lefigaro.fr/politique/le-scan/2016/11/09/25001-20161109ARTFIG00037-election-americaine-le-fn-applaudit-trump-avant-meme-le-resultat.php
    The British people voted to leave the EU, the EU elite now has little time for Brexit UK, the best deal we will get will be limited at best. Given the US is our largest destination for trade (more than Australia, Canada and New Zealand combined) the British people may not like Trump personally but they know they need to try for a trade deal with him. As for Le Pen, as I said a tweet and not a visit to Trump Tower. Le Pen would not go down well in America, Trump would not go down well in France but they are driven by the same forces ie anti globalisation and anti immigration
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,896

He's not humiliating me. I find it rather amusing.
  • Options
    shiney2 said:

shiney2 said:

But, me - not so much.

Our political class and others (?incl you) have spent years insulting a man who has, unexpectedly to them, become the most powerful man in the world.

You're in denial.

No, I'm in de Midlands.

Farage has tried seven times to be elected to Parliament and each attempt has ended in humiliating failure. He will never be in a position to clear anything up and very soon the Donald is going to stop taking his calls.

• Options
    rcs1000 said:

That's Marion: she's a bit different to Marine, as she's more anti-Semitic and more pro EU/big business

Looks like they'll have loads to talk about then.

'Ex-Breitbart head accused of anti-Semitism mooted as top Trump aide'

http://tinyurl.com/jzflx2g
  • Options
    @SouthamObserver The framing of populist Revolt is changing. Do you want to stuff the establishment ? Will slowly morph into do you want another Trump/Brexit here ? The answer to that will depend on how sucessful Trump/Brexit are. It's too early to tell. But no matter what populist revolt will no longer be a blank canvas. There will be experiential evidence of whether it's worth the risk.

The other issue is whether Trump and Brexit merge to form Trexit. Trexit will be a fosil fueled anglophone, right-wing and atlanticist brand. It will be easy for many populists to frame themselves against Trexit not asking voters to join it.

• Options
    shiney2shiney2 Posts: 672

shiney2 said:

shiney2 said:

But, me - not so much.

You're in denial.

No, I'm in de Midlands.

Farage has tried seven times to be elected to Parliament and each attempt has ended in humiliating failure. He will never be in a position to clear anything up and very soon the Donald is going to stop taking his calls.

Why would he stop taking calls from his Ambassador?
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
  • Options
    Jason said:

The public are able to differentiate between elected politicians, what they say and do, and private individuals making fools of themselves on national television for money. So, as popular as Balls may be on a daft show on BBC1, that does not translate into any semblance of electability. The public are far more discerning than perhaps most of us ever give them credit for.

When do you think Farage will overtake Balls in the electability stakes?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Le Pen never really cosied up to Trump like Farage did, she made one congratulatory tweet after he won and that was it. While Trump is unpopular here nonetheless as Comres today shows a plurality of Britons think his victory makes it easier for the UK to get a trade deal with the US so realpolitik is not far below the surface here either

We'll see what actually happens, but polls suggest Trump is not well liked here. As for Le Pen, the FN and her family are hugging Trump close:

http://www.lefigaro.fr/politique/le-scan/2016/11/09/25001-20161109ARTFIG00037-election-americaine-le-fn-applaudit-trump-avant-meme-le-resultat.php
    The British people voted to leave the EU, the EU elite now has little time for Brexit UK, the best deal we will get will be limited at best. Given the US is our largest destination for trade (more than Australia, Canada and New Zealand combined) the British people may not like Trump personally but they know they need to try for a trade deal with him. As for Le Pen, as I said a tweet and not a visit to Trump Tower. Le Pen would not go down well in America, Trump would not go down well in France but they are driven by the same forces ie anti globalisation and anti immigration

Yep, after the EU the US is our biggest trading partner. It's not clear what kind of deal we could get from Trump that would increase our trade to the degree necessary to make up for the drop off we'll see with the EU when we leave the Single Market.

As for the FN, they have already created the strong impression that they are Trump's representatives in France. Not a problem if you're looking for 20% of the vote; quite possibly a big mistake if you are after 50%+1.

• Options

shiney2 said:

shiney2 said:

But, me - not so much.

You're in denial.

No, I'm in de Midlands.

I suspect Farage now regards a Commons seat as a pointless trifle. He will return to Britain as the man who conquered American, eager to impart his wisdom on how to recreated the phenomenon here. Vast swathes of the British Right will fawn; the rest will be marginalised and ignored.
  • Options
    weejonnieweejonnie Posts: 3,820

shiney2 said:

shiney2 said:

But, me - not so much.

You're in denial.

No, I'm in de Midlands.

The last time it took potentially illegal Tory campaigning for him to lose - isn't that investigation still going on?
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,972
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,985
    edited November 2016
    Alistair said:

Never going to get old

twitter.com/hrtbps/status/797869858239094785

So Jeb was wrong, it's not going to be just a fence ;)
  • Options
    Ed's never been in the dance off, which means he's towards top of the public vote, if not top, so if he can make it to the final he has a decent chance of winning as the final is decided exclusively by the public vote.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    edited November 2016
    Sean_F said:

He's not humiliating me. I find it rather amusing.
    It is rather amusing seeing Nigel so desperate that he is willing to kiss arse.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,348

shiney2 said:

shiney2 said:

But, me - not so much.

You're in denial.

No, I'm in de Midlands.

I suspect Farage now regards a Commons seat as a pointless trifle. He will return to Britain as the man who conquered American, eager to impart his wisdom on how to recreated the phenomenon here. Vast swathes of the British Right will fawn; the rest will be marginalised and ignored.
    The Big Question here is whether Banks is yet ready to cut UKIP loose and plough his energies into a new political venture come Cinque Stelle, and whether Farage is ready to forego his retirement to try and become the UK's Beppe Grillo?
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,610
    Alistair said:
    Isn't that just because Obama built fences along a third of the border already?
  • Options
    Ed Balls is clearly influencing Jeremy Corbyn

https://twitter.com/SunPolitics/status/797783582844579840
  • Options

Ed's never been in the dance off, which means he's towards top of the public vote, if not top, so if he can make it to the final he has a decent chance of winning as the final is decided exclusively by the public vote.

The same was true of Sergeant - until shame and signs of an emerging backlash persuaded him to fall on his sword.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

shiney2 said:

shiney2 said:

But, me - not so much.

You're in denial.

No, I'm in de Midlands.

The Big Question here is whether Banks is yet ready to cut UKIP loose and plough his energies into a new political venture come Cinque Stelle, and whether Farage is ready to forego his retirement to try and become the UK's Beppe Grillo?
    It looks that way after the Golden Lift photo. Farage is going to try and turn Brexit into Trexit.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

The same was true of Sergeant - until shame and signs of an emerging backlash persuaded him to fall on his sword.
    There's a world of difference between John Sergeant and Ed Balls.

John Sergeant didn't improve at all during his stint on Strictly, whereas Ed has, even Craig said so last week.
  • Options

shiney2 said:

shiney2 said:

But, me - not so much.

You're in denial.

No, I'm in de Midlands.

Think he may extend his influence throughout Europe on his life's work of causing maximum chaos there.

I do not see his 'one man' go between with US and UK being anything than a few days in the spotlight.

I expect Theresa May to dismiss his interfering and am sure that he will not be that popular in the UK, other than from a few on the far right,

• Options
    edited November 2016

IanB2 said:

John Sergeant didn't improve at all during his stint on Strictly, whereas Ed has, even Craig said so last week.
    Nevertheless he is reelected every week because of his novelty/entertainment value rather than his dancing ability, marginally improved or otherwise. That will only take him so far, and not to the trophy.
  • Options

I don't think he has ever been saved first on Sunday though which suggests he has never come top of the public vote even if he has avoided the dance off
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

I don't think he has ever been saved first on Sunday though which suggests he has never come top of the public vote even if he has avoided the dance off
    The way they announce the saved contestants is no particular order

Do you even watch the show?
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

Nevertheless he is reelected every week because of his novelty/entertainment value rather than his dancing ability, marginally improved or otherwise. That will only take him so far, and not to the trophy.
    He received an eight from Bruno last night, he's more than a novelty.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Balls's problems start the moment someone who has genuine promise and who has genuinely improved gets voted off the show, instead of him. Just you watch and wait...
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

shiney2 said:

shiney2 said:

But, me - not so much.

You're in denial.

No, I'm in de Midlands.

Yes, that's almost definitely going to happen. Banks and Farage still have unfinished business: the complete and irreversible destruction of the Tories.
  • Options
    SpeedySpeedy Posts: 12,100
    I see where Ed Balls is aiming at.

But does he have any popular policies, like Make Britain Great Again ?
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

I see that May's humiliation at the hands of Farage

The British people voted to leave the EU, the EU elite now has little time for Brexit UK, the best deal we will get will
    Yep, after the EU the US is our biggest trading partner. It's not clear what kind of deal we could get from Trump that would increase our trade to the degree necessary to make up for the drop off we'll see with the EU when we leave the Single Market.

As for the FN, they have already created the strong impression that they are Trump's representatives in France. Not a problem if you're looking for 20% of the vote; quite possibly a big mistake if you are after 50%+1.

Certainly any deal with the US would be better than none at all and we export more to the US than any individual EU nation, albeit not as much as to the EU collectively.

Le Pen hailed Brexit, she hailed Trump's win but she is a French phenomenon not an American one. In a sense you could equally argue Trump was Brexit's representative in America and the Leave campaign was Trump's representative in the UK in the sense that all were part of the same anti globalisation, anti immigration forces but the leaders differ based on the characteristics of the different nationalities
  • Options

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

He received an eight from Bruno last night, he's more than a novelty.
    The show, and by extension the judges, do understand the need to maintain their ratings. Up to a point.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Yes, I am watching it now and Balls is not one of those saved so far, he will have to wait to see if he survives. As I said he may well keep going a bit longer but I think Danny and Oti will win
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Balls's problems start the moment someone who has genuine promise and who has genuinely improved gets voted off the show, instead of him. Just you watch and wait...
    I've been watching Strictly from the very first series.

When it comes to Stricly, like Classical History, 80s pop music, scifi/geekdom, I'm PB's top expert on the matter.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Yes, I am watching it now and Balls is not one of those saved so far, he will have to wait to see if he survives. As I said he may well keep going a bit longer but I think Danny and Oti will win
    So how do you not know they announce the saved contestants is no particular order?
  • Options

IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

When it comes to Stricly, like Classical History, 80s pop music, scifi/geekdom, I'm PB's top expert on the matter.
    Excellent. We can all sink back into our soft sofas, relax, and see how your expertise plays out.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

This is the public that voted to name a ship Boaty McBoatface. It is all part of taking the mickey out of the establishment, in this case the BBC.

Dance! Monkeys, Dance!!!

• Options
    IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Excellent. We can all sink back into our soft sofas, relax, and see how your expertise plays out.
    My prediction for tonight.

Greg's also in the dance off.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,289
    I was unable to cast my 3 votes for Ed Balls last night. I am truly sorry for my failure.
  • Options
    Can anyone remember how many times the best dancer has won strictly?

Also has YouGov done further polling on strictly? Last I looked Rinder was the people's favourite although everyone thought Danny Mac would win .
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,902
    Strictly is great. Shouldn't work, but it does. BBC light entertainment at its best.
  • Options

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

My prediction for tonight.

Greg's also in the dance off.
    Judges like Greg, hell be fine unless there is a shock other in the dance off.
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    HYUFD said:

Certainly any deal with the US would be better than none at all and we export more to the US than any individual EU nation, albeit not as much as to the EU collectively.

Le Pen hailed Brexit, she hailed Trump's win but she is a French phenomenon not an American one. In a sense you could equally argue Trump was Brexit's representative in America and the Leave campaign was Trump's representative in the UK in the sense that all were part of the same anti globalisation, anti immigration forces but the leaders differ based on the characteristics of the different nationalities

The EU has become a stagnant export market for us, while annual export growth to the US has been a healthy 3.3% between 2008 and 2015.

Export growth to China has been an annual 17.8% over the same period.

As for the EU - there are an increasing number of articles of this kind surfacing;

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/eirexit-could-ireland-follow-britain-out-of-the-eu-1.2864539
  • Options
    I've got tickets to the Strictly Blackpool next Saturday.
  • Options
    edited November 2016

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

So how do you not know they announce the saved contestants is no particular order?
    They announce those who have avoided the dance off-first based on votes I think and put one couple in the dance-off, then later in the show they decide which of those with lower scores is in the dance-off
  • Options
    not_on_firenot_on_fire Posts: 4,341

I notice that the Donald now says he is targeting the illegals with criminal records. As with the border wall fence , despite the horror and outrage, it isn't exactly new. I want to say bush snr (could be wrong on which president) had a huge push on deporting even those born in the us to illegals "back" to central America if they had committed serious crimes.

The down side is that is credited with the strengthening of the gangs in places like guatemala.

Can't be true, anyone born in the US is a citizen and by definition cannot be deported.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

Also has YouGov done further polling on strictly? Last I looked Rinder was the people's favourite although everyone thought Danny Mac would win .

Yougov thought it would be a Remain win and President Hillary!
  • Options
    Ed through
  • Options
    YESSSSSSSSSS.
  • Options
    Wahey!
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    Balls has now survived, Greg Rutherford into the dance off and Judge Rinder has now also survived
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

They announce those who have avoided the dance off-first based on votes I think and put one couple in the dance-off, then later in the show they decided which of those with lower scores is in the dance-off
    NO THEY DON'T.
  • Options
    Ed!
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,556
    edited November 2016
    *Buffs nails*

See my expertise on Strictly is right.

Greg in the dance off.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,195

Greg in the dance off.

Would this be the pre-recorded Strictly show? :)
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

Greg in the dance off.

Would this be the pre-recorded Strictly show? :)
    Hush you.
  • Options

Greg in the dance off.

If only there was a rule that someone who gets one thing right is always right thereafter, life would be so much simpler.

Or even that people who are good at tactics also excel at strategy.

Nevertheless, well done!
  • Options
    FregglesFreggles Posts: 3,486
    YES ED BALLS
  • Options
    Great Balls on fire....
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

They announce those who have avoided the dance off-first based on votes I think and put one couple in the dance-off, then later in the show they decide which of those with lower scores is in the dance-off
    They explicitly say it is in no particular order.
  • Options

Write "Ed Balls" on your forehead.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

They announce those who have avoided the dance off-first based on votes I think and put one couple in the dance-off, then later in the show they decided which of those with lower scores is in the dance-off
    NO THEY DON'T.
    We are in an era of post truth politics. People can just say anything and it is true.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,556
    edited November 2016
    Freggles said:

Write "Ed Balls" on your forehead.
    I shall be dressing appropriately for Strictly.

I tempted to wear my morning suit and top hat, that's how important it is for me.
  • Options
    Farage for strictly 2017.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Alistair said:

I'm foolishly assuming Strictly polling will be easier than political polling.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

I reckon they should ask Hillary Clinton for Strictly 2017.

I'm starting the Hillary for Strictly 2017 campaign now
  • Options
    Alistair said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

The one week Danny and Oti had their worst dance they had to wait until the second half, normally they survive in the first half as tonight.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,291
    edited November 2016

I notice that the Donald now says he is targeting the illegals with criminal records. As with the border wall fence , despite the horror and outrage, it isn't exactly new. I want to say bush snr (could be wrong on which president) had a huge push on deporting even those born in the us to illegals "back" to central America if they had committed serious crimes.

The down side is that is credited with the strengthening of the gangs in places like guatemala.

Can't be true, anyone born in the US is a citizen and by definition cannot be deported.
    During the 1930s and into the 1940s, up to 2 million Mexicans and Mexican-Americans were deported or expelled from cities and towns across the U.S. and shipped to Mexico. According to some estimates, more than half of these people were U.S. citizens, born in the United States.

Also....more recently...

The US Keeps Mistakenly Deporting Its Own Citizens

https://news.vice.com/article/the-us-keeps-mistakenly-deporting-its-own-citizens

My main point was referring to was this...

Many of the gangs of El Salvador and Honduras—in particular MS-13 and Calle 18—were first formed in the streets of Los Angeles and included children of Salvadoran war refugees. Since the 1990s, gang members have been deported massively to their countries of origin—though they retain few or no connections there—and have gone on to engage in extortion, drug trafficking, and forced recruitment of teenagers and young children.

https://www.dissentmagazine.org/online_articles/the-central-american-child-refugee-crisis-made-in-u-s-a
  • Options
    Alistair said:

HYUFD said:

Alistair said:

I'm foolishly assuming Strictly polling will be easier than political polling.
    I certainly would not put any bets on it
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Nige for the Jungle, maybe we can leave him there.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Jonathan said:

Nige for the Jungle, maybe we can leave him there.
    But they knocked it down....oh wait not that Jungle..
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,676
    Jesus wept. I log in to PB for intelligent political discourse and this is what I get....

Meanwhile on Strictly - It Takes Two on Monday they will be examining Donald Trump's economic policy!
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Alistair said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

The one week Danny and Oti had their worst dance they had to wait until the second half, normally they survive in the first half as tonight.
    It's no particular order, not random order. They choose the order to generate the most tension .
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    If Balls continues to make a success of it, others will jump on the Bandwagon with less success.

Osborne?
  • Options

Take that sean t. That's a boast!
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

The British people voted to leave the EU, the EU elite now has little time for Brexit UK, the best deal we will get will

On here at least you could pretty much guess with a high degree of accuracy that a Brexiteer would also be a Trumper.
    Also that they were more likely than not to believe conspiracy theories and be a Climate Change sceptic.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

shiney2 said:

rcs1000 said:

shiney2 said:

He's really going to do it:

"Within minutes of his comments CBS released an excerpt from its interview with Mr Trump, however, in which he made clear that the mass deportations will be going ahead. "

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/11/13/donald-trump-vows-to-immediately-deport-3million-illegal-immigra/

President Le Pen, and esp PrimeMinister Wilders, are looking more and more likely.

Let's assume that the PVV gets 25%, that still probably doesn't lead to PM Wilders given the perfectly proportional nature of the Dutch electoral system.
    Didn't say certain or even probably, just more likely. But that likelihood looks set to grow as the USA does the 'impossible' and of course the President reaps the popularity. It's usually easier to follow..
    I think we over do spillover between countries; it is more the case that the circumstances that lead the rise of insurgent political movements (i.e. stagnant real wages since 1999) are true across much of the developed world (the UK, the US, Japan), and therefore the political response is similar.

I suspect that the two round nature of elections in France makes it less likely Mme Le Pen makes it there.

In the Netherlands, while I assumed that the PVV was likely to top the polls (and they were a long way clear earlier this year and last year), they are now lagging the VVD meaningfully. It may be that there are understated; but even if they are, the proportional nature of the Dutch political system, which ensures that they would need to partner with at least one (and probably two) of D66 (Eurofanatics who topped the Euroelection polls), the Greens, Labour Party, the Socialists, and the Christian Democrats. That severely restrains their ability to do anything.
    Of the 3 polls this month, 2 have the VVD ahead and 1 has the PVV and VVD tied and we all know the polls have underestimated the populists' so far
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opinion_polling_for_the_Dutch_general_election,_2017
    My point was that the PVV was ahead in all the polls until recently, and they have slipped back substantially.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @PolhomeEditor: Ed Balls is now the most popular Labour politician in the country. What odds would you have got on that 18 months ago? #strictly
  • Options
    On topic, I foretold Ed using Strictly to become Labour leader.

All hail the modern day Oracle cum Nostradamus that is me

http://www2.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2016/09/03/everybody-salsa-for-the-real-labour-king-over-the-water/
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

shiney2 said:

rcs1000 said:

shiney2 said:

"Within minutes of his comments CBS released an excerpt from its interview with Mr Trump, however, in which he made clear that the mass deportations will be going ahead. "

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/11/13/donald-trump-vows-to-immediately-deport-3million-illegal-immigra/

President Le Pen, and esp PrimeMinister Wilders, are looking more and more likely.

Let's assume that the PVV gets 25%, that still probably doesn't lead to PM Wilders given the perfectly proportional nature of the Dutch electoral system.
    Didn't say certain or even probably, just more likely. But that likelihood looks set to grow as the USA does the 'impossible' and of course the President reaps the popularity. It's usually easier to follow..
    I think we over do spillover between countries; it is more the case that the circumstances that lead the rise of insurgent political movements (i.e. stagnant real wages since 1999) are true across much of the developed world (the UK, the US, Japan), and therefore the political response is similar.

I suspect that the two round nature of elections in France makes it less likely Mme Le Pen makes it there.

In the Netherlands, while I assumed that the PVV was likely to top the polls (and they were a long way clear earlier this year and last year), they are now lagging the VVD meaningfully. It may be that there are understated; but even if they are, the proportional nature of the Dutch political system, which ensures that they would need to partner with at least one (and probably two) of D66 (Eurofanatics who topped the Euroelection polls), the Greens, Labour Party, the Socialists, and the Christian Democrats. That severely restrains their ability to do anything.
    Of the 3 polls this month, 2 have the VVD ahead and 1 has the PVV and VVD tied and we all know the polls have underestimated the populists' so far
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opinion_polling_for_the_Dutch_general_election,_2017
    My point was that the PVV was ahead in all the polls until recently, and they have slipped back substantially.
    Have they slipped back in reality or are PVV voters now feeling like Brexit and Trump voters?
  • Options

http://www2.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2016/09/03/everybody-salsa-for-the-real-labour-king-over-the-water/

Whatever next, a reality show star being preside.....oh wait...
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,972
    MaxPB said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

shiney2 said:

rcs1000 said:

shiney2 said:

Have they slipped back in reality or are PVV voters now feeling like Brexit and Trump voters?
    It'd be a brave man to write Wilders off with that set of polling.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

shiney2 said:

rcs1000 said:

shiney2 said:

Who knows?
    But I would note that the polls, even the exit polls, failed to pick up the shift to the PP at the last Spanish election a week after Brexit, so polling errors have not solely benefited insurgents.
  • Options
    Now Attenborough with Planet Earth 2. When the BBC turns it on, it turns it on.
  • Options
    edited November 2016

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

The British people voted to leave the EU, the EU elite now
    Yep, after the EU the US is our biggest trading partner. It's not clear what kind of deal we could get from Trump that would increase our trade to the degree necessary to make up for the drop off we'll see with the EU when we leave

On here at least you could pretty much guess with a high degree of accuracy that a Brexiteer would also be a Trumper.
    Also that they were more likely than not to believe conspiracy theories and be a Climate Change sceptic.
    "Certainly any deal with the US would be better than none at all "

Are you sure? TTIP didn't seem to be going down too well.

It seems to me that your sort of 'any deal' attitude could end very badly.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,125

nielh said:

Jonathan said:

The Telegraph: Exclusive: Nigel Farage reveals Donald Trump's team has 'reservations' about Theresa May's Government. http://google.com/newsstand/s/CBIwzYmwtTA

bye bye Boris?
    Its just a shitty photoshoot. Farage is nothing more than a tourist as he admits himself and he's trying to milk it for everything it is worth.
    Farage changed history, but in the manner of an arsonist or one of Eric Pickles shitty armchair auditors.
    He doesn't have any interest in actually running anything or being a serious politician.
    Indeed. Farage failed SEVEN times to become an MP
    Maybe he should try the LDs :)
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,137
    Jonathan said:

FFS, forget Strictly. That start to Planet Earth 2 was arguably the most astonishing piece of wildlife footage ever shot.....
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    We need a poll to find out who the hell is voting to keep Ed in.. Its ludicrous. He was the worst dancer by a LONG way.
  • Options
    felix said:

nielh said:

Jonathan said:

The Telegraph: Exclusive: Nigel Farage reveals Donald Trump's team has 'reservations' about Theresa May's Government. http://google.com/newsstand/s/CBIwzYmwtTA

bye bye Boris?
    Its just a shitty photoshoot. Farage is nothing more than a tourist as he admits himself and he's trying to milk it for everything it is worth.
    Farage changed history, but in the manner of an arsonist or one of Eric Pickles shitty armchair auditors.
    He doesn't have any interest in actually running anything or being a serious politician.
    Indeed. Farage failed SEVEN times to become an MP
    Maybe he should try the LDs :)
    and make it 17?
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

MaxPB said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

shiney2 said:

rcs1000 said:

shiney2 said:

It'd be a brave man to write Wilders off with that set of polling.
    He's favourite to be first, for sure. But he also unlikely to crack 20%, which means that (at best) hrs head of a coalition with lots of pro EU parties. I would like to remind PBers that in 2014 the Euro elections in the Netherlands were won be D66.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,886
    edited November 2016

We need a poll to find out who the hell is voting to keep Ed in..

TSE probably has his number on fast redial...
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095

You just forgot that by the time he became leader the Labour Party was rigor mortis.
  • Options
    edited November 2016

Jonathan said:

FFS, forget Strictly. That start to Planet Earth 2 was arguably the most astonishing piece of wildlife footage ever shot.....
    Agreed. It's astonishing.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Who knows?
    But I would note that the polls, even the exit polls, failed to pick up the shift to the PP at the last Spanish election a week after Brexit, so polling errors have not solely benefited insurgents.

The Tories weren't insurgents in 2015. The issue is how the local media treat any choice. Over here voting Tory was treated the same as killing babies, how does the Spanish media treat voting PP? If it's anything like here it will be the unfashionable choice just as voting Tory was in 2015, which would explain an understatement. Voting PVV is surely unfashionable, just as Brexit and Trump. I don't think that polls aren't picking up insurgencies, but picking up the choice that goes against the liberal media and "settles choice" is tough.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Agreed. It's astonishing.
    It's things like Planet Earth that make me think people who reckon the BBC would be better privatised are literally deluded
This discussion has been closed.