Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » I agree with Fraser Nelson – In September 2010 Labour elect

Comments

• Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,989
    Charles said:

A good one, yes!

I was thinking one of the portable pieces of cr*p that you get in B&Q...

Off to SoCal on Friday... looking forward to trying the aircon I had installed while I was in the UK :)

Ah, fair enough. The one in my office is too good -- I have to wear a jumper else I come out in goosebumps!

• Options
    AndreaParma_82AndreaParma_82 Posts: 4,714
    edited July 2013
    Rowenna Davis won Labour selection in Southampton Itchen. I am actually a bit surprised. But Avery knows it well
  • Options
    MrJonesMrJones Posts: 3,523
    edited July 2013
    Opening windows a little at both the top and the bottom seems to work.

edit: as suggested down the thread somewhere.
  • Options
    NeilNeil Posts: 7,983
    @Andrea

We should get Avery to move there and watch as he struggles to decide who to vote for!
  • Options
    GeoffMGeoffM Posts: 6,071
    Andy_JS said:

I don't know why they couldn't cancel the training exercise when they saw what the weather would be like.

Yes, that would very sensible. After all, we're never going to be fighting anywhere it's a bit warm so no need to train in the heat..

Quite why we are training on a weekend as well I have no idea. Wars should be 9-5 Monday to Friday (Bank Holidays off) and not fought where it's a bit too hot or a bit too cold.

• Options
    JohnLilburneJohnLilburne Posts: 6,016
    @SeanT

Simples. As it is cooler outside than inside, open the windows.

On future hot days, close windows and blinds during the day, only open the windows once the outside temperature has cooled to less than the inside.
  • Options
    Mick_PorkMick_Pork Posts: 6,530
    edited July 2013
    "I agree with Fraser Nelson – In September 2010 Labour elected the best Miliband"

David Miliband wasn't it? ;^ )
    David Miliband has won, says Dan Hodges.

This Saturday David Miliband will become leader of the Labour party. He will have won a majority of his Parliamentary colleagues and the wider membership, along with sufficient support from unions and other affiliates to secure not just victory but an overwhelming mandate. The New Labour era will be over.

http://labour-uncut.co.uk/2010/09/21/david-miliband-has-won-says-dan-hodges/
    *chortle*

One day it might even dawn on the PB Hodges that little Ed and David aren't actually very far apart at all on the ideological scale of things. It took the unions long enough to grasp the obvious but the PB Hodges will need a few more years as usual.
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    Tulip Siddiq is the new Labour candidate for Hampstead and Kilburn
    http://www.tulipsiddiq.com/
    She beat Cllr Sally Gimson and Sophie Linden (Hackney Cllr).

In Itchen, Rowenna defeated Cllr Sarah Bogle, Cllr Satvir Kaur and Pat Evemy.
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    tim said:

TGOHF said:

Big similarity between rEd and Brown in that they both want to be PM but no idea why other than Labour party aggrandisement.

Not sure that charge works coming from a Cameron fan.
    Daves entire reasoning for wanting to become PM appears to have been because he thought he'd be "quite good at it" and promoting some chums.
    Let's not forget Cammie's also a second rate Blair impersonator and the "heir to Blair". ;^ )

• Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,787

Rowenna Davis won Labour selection in Southampton Itchen. I am actually a bit surprised. But Avery knows it well

Exactly what the Labour Party needs!

Another Balliol PPE Graduate, whose only job has been in Journalism and is a member of Unite with no ties to the local community.....perfect!

I wonder how she got selected?

http://www.dailyecho.co.uk/news/district/southampton/10435458.Journalist_vying_to_become_city_s_new_MP/
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    A former policy wonk and member of Unite.

Thank god for that. We need more of both in parliament.

• Options
    @Carlotta

With those credentials I'm surprised she hasnt been asked to investigate part of the NHS by Cameron!
  • Options
    JohnLilburneJohnLilburne Posts: 6,016
    @foxinsoxuk

She's well connected - her aunt is Prime Minister of Bangladesh and her grandfather was that country's first President.
  • Options
    @Neil - I think Camilla Cavendish has a bit more to her CV than Rowena Davis!
  • Options
    @Carlotta

Is she a mother?
  • Options
    richardDoddrichardDodd Posts: 5,472
    edited July 2013
    Do we really need a PM who thinks he may NOT be good at it..and then look at his aquaintences, contacts, among the available MP's for his appointments, much better to appoint someone he knows eff all about, just like all the other PM's .. stay behind the offie counter lad,,Sheesh.
  • Options
    @ Neil - dunno - but she is an award winning journalist who go the law changed on child protection courts....what has the fragrant Rowena accomplished?
  • Options
    @Carlotta

That's the wrong question - what could Rowena achieve if she was appointed Director of a state body by someone she went to uni with?
  • Options
    fitalassfitalass Posts: 4,279
    Agreed, just had a wee peek and very impressive indeed. See that Cavendish has even worked as an aid worker.

• Options
    Breaking : Multiple bombings in Iraq being reported.
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    @Neil - who can tell - Rowena's never been employed (self employed journalist) and has been good principally at getting on the telly.....anyway, she went to Balliol - Boris Johnson's college.....so a complete no-no....
  • Options
    The British Red Cross liked her review - dunno what Neil's beef is:

"The British Red Cross spoke out on Wednesday to welcome the "explicit reference" in the review to the need for first skills and the proposed first aid training. They said: "That some HCAs are performing tasks usually reserved for doctors and nurses - some without standardised training - is extremely worrying. The recently published Cavendish Review report highlights the serious shortfall in training for HCAs despite their vital contribution to our health system.

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/health-and-families/health-news/cavendish-review-healthcare-assistants-are-performing-the-same-tasks-as-nurses-and-even-doctors-without-standardised-training-8699644.html
    fitalass said:

Agreed, just had a wee peek and very impressive indeed. See that Cavendish has even worked as an aid worker.

• Options
    @tim - I can tell you are thrilled that another parachuted princess has been selected - what could possibly go wrong?
  • Options

dunno what Neil's beef is:

Who said I had a beef? I'm so impressed I'm welcoming the selection of a Labour PPC with a similar background.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,894
    @Andrea

"Pic from Labour Hampstead selection meeting ...it seems they are casting the votes now"

Does that mean Mrs Hodges is standing down at the next election?
  • Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143
    SeanT said:

Help. I've come home to find that the temp in the living room in my southfacing flat is 41C. Dangerously hot.

How do I cool it? Close all windows and blinds? Open the windows a bit? Google gives conflicting advice.

If you soak an old sheet in water, wring it out so it doesn't drip, and hang it up across your open windows/doorways, the passage of air will evaporate the water, cooling the air.
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    Tory contender for Hampstead and Kilburn attacks Labour’s all-women shortlists

Only women have been allowed to enter the contest to succeed Glenda Jackson as Labour’s candidate, as the party attempts to drive up the number of female MPs.

But Tory contender Cllr Simon Marcus, representing Hampstead Town ward on Camden Council, branded the tactic “patronising"

http://www.hamhigh.co.uk/news/tory_contender_for_hampstead_and_kilburn_attacks_labour_s_all_women_shortlists_1_2253743
    Thank goodness he didn't call them all "stupid woman" or tell them to "calm down dear". ;^ )
  • Options
    fitalassfitalass Posts: 4,279
    edited July 2013
    Telegraph - Chris Mullin: 'I can’t believe Ed is that naïve'

" From under the shade of a spreading tree in the West Country comes a warning to chill Ed Miliband’s blood.

“If he does what he says, it is likely to result in a huge collapse in financial support for the Labour Party and usher in a one-party state for years to come,” says Chris Mullin, the politician and best-selling author. “I can’t believe Ed is that naïve, but it can’t be ruled out.”

The Labour leader is “foolhardy” to think of breaking a historic link with the unions as a response to the Falkirk crisis, says Mr Mullin, fearing that the effect may be to hand power to the Conservatives for the foreseeable future."

"Mr Mullin knows all about the relationship between his party and the unions, having written about it in his 1982 novel A Very British Coup, recently filmed as Secret State. “The unions are their own worst enemies, very often,” he says, remembering the strike-filled Seventies, when he was a journalist. “They were very irresponsible.”

The union Unite is now accused of trying to rig the vote for a new Labour candidate in Falkirk and the police have been called in. The leader has also declared an end to the system under which thousands of trade unionists are automatically enrolled as party members. Mr Miliband believes the union grip on Labour will be loosened and at the same time many of these default members will become more committed to the party.

“I hope he’s right,” says Mr Mullin. “I very much doubt it. I think it will lead to a financial crisis. We had one a few years ago. A very serious one. The banks almost foreclosed on us. The loss will be severe and it will affect the capacity of the opposition party to win an election, or even to mount an effective challenge. It seems foolhardy to me. But who am I?”"
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,002
    I sympathise, Mr. T. My bedroom windowsill is hot enough to melt candle wax.
  • Options
    MonikerDiCanioMonikerDiCanio Posts: 5,792
    edited July 2013
    Tulip Siddiq is rather coy about her education ;

" She spent her childhood in Bangladesh, Brunei, India, Singapore and Spain. In 1998, she moved to North London and gained four A Levels. "

Please let her not be yet another millionairess public school gal snapping up a plum job in the workers party .
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,047

Dare I suggest going out for refreshment somewhere cooler?

SeanT said:

Thanks for all the advice, but again it conflicts. Some say shut all windows, some say open. Blinds obviously closed...

*sweats*

But thanks. Yes an aircon may be necessary. FFFfwwwwww.

Quite right Mr Fox. Our local pub was very comfortable this afternoon.
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    I saw a re-run of PMQ from last Wednesday last night. One thing is certain. EdM learns from his mistake - fast. He was formidable. And alongwith with his other MPs he ganged up on Cameron on hedge fund donations, MPs second job,. etc.

As usual the posh boy was red faced !
  • Options

SeanT said:

Help. I've come home to find that the temp in the living room in my southfacing flat is 41C. Dangerously hot.

How do I cool it? Close all windows and blinds? Open the windows a bit? Google gives conflicting advice.

If you soak an old sheet in water, wring it out so it doesn't drip, and hang it up across your open windows/doorways, the passage of air will evaporate the water, cooling the air.
    Best advice. The latent heat in the evaporation of water will work to your advantage. Economy airconditioning.
  • Options
    edited July 2013

Tulip Siddiq is rather coy about her education ;

" She spent her childhood in Bangladesh, Brunei, India, Singapore and Spain. In 1998, she moved to North London and gained four A Levels. "

Her Wiki entry:
    She spent her childhood in Bangladesh, Brunei, India, Singapore and Spain. In 1998, she moved to North London and gained four A Levels, before completing her Undergraduate degree in English Literature at University College London and then a Master's degree at King's College London. In September 2011, she completed a second Master’s degree in Politics, Policy and Government, writing her dissertation on Local Government

In fairness, she does appear to have been a lot more involved with local London politics than 'Show me the way to Itchin' Rowena......

Its not her fault who her relations are if she's actually done the graft herself....
  • Options
    "The NHS is bracing itself for a fresh onslaught from the health secretary, Jeremy Hunt, who is preparing to make clear he expects some hospital trust bosses to lose their jobs when an extensive inquiry triggered by high death rates reports on Tuesday."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/2013/jul/14/nhs-jeremy-hunt-report-care-failure?CMP=twt_fd

Good - about blooming time they started sacking, for cause, some of the bosses....
  • Options
    CarolaCarola Posts: 1,805
    I had an idea once for a chillable collar and cuffs combo.

Until I've gone into production I'd advise putting a cold, damp T towel around the neck. Or use wine bottle chiller sleeve thingies for bangles.
  • Options
    FinancierFinancier Posts: 3,916
    I agree with Roger regarding Broad. There is a vast difference between a possible nick that requires DRS verification and a huge nick that visibly diverts the path of the ball. I am puzzled as to why the umpire did not ask for a review himself - he is allowed to change his mind - or was he too embarrassed to lose face?

Re:EdM,if he only got married because it looked right to the public then he is not a man who believes in his principles if he was happy not to be married previously -not PM material if he is a Vicar of Bray.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,002
    Miss Vance, I believe David Coulthard invented an ice-jacket that F1 drivers use in hot conditions (not whilst racing but in between sessions).
  • Options
    I never understood the David Miliband hoo-hah.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,894

Young Tulip sounds ideal. It's time Labour gave the Tories a run for their money with connections in high places and as the Granddaughter and sister of eminent politicians from the sub continent she should know all about maximizing the vote
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,409
    edited July 2013
    Huzzah!!! I see the Libdems actually got double figures in a poll this weekend (YouGov)!!!

:-)
  • Options
    FinancierFinancier Posts: 3,916
    RE; Team for next test.

I would drop Root to No6, drop Bairstow and bring in an opener who is in form. Drop Finn and bring in an extra spinner.
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    Leonie Mathers gets Sherwood Labour nomination. She wins it from an Open Shortlist.

http://www.leoniemathers.co.uk/

Unite was backing another young guy.

So running total of Unite's 41 is now
    11 selected
    15 defeated
    15 to go

The % of Unite backed winning candidates is around 42%, the same as it was pre Falkirk exposure.
  • Options
    MonikerDiCanioMonikerDiCanio Posts: 5,792
    Carola said:

He was Blair's pet and then Hilary Clinton pretended to take a fancy to him. That was the sum total of the hoo-hah.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/theoval/2013/07/12/hillary-clinton-speeches-20000-bill-clinton/2511459/

He's part of the Blair/Clinton lecture circuit so he'll do OK for himself.
  • Options

Miss Vance, I believe David Coulthard invented an ice-jacket that F1 drivers use in hot conditions (not whilst racing but in between sessions).

Prog on later about ye olde days when F1 drivers were interesting ;)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0377tb1
  • Options
    @Roger

Yes, Glenda announced 2 years ago that she was retiring. She will be 79 in 2015.
  • Options
    @Andrea

Looks like she will be a vote in the bag for Yvette should she be a candidate for Labour leader in the future. Should win back Sherwood fairly handily.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,987
    The Broad incident is an indictment of society. People do what they think they can get away worth not what they think is right.

Also , you can nick the ball and not think you did so not every reviewed or non walked caught behind is cheating
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    @Neil

Leonie beats a good doctor from Nottingham and this guy who looks barely out of school
    http://www.lachlanmorrison.org.uk/

Seriously, he's a plaster. I don't think we have a plastering MP. He would have been a change compared to SpAd, office managers, lawyers and journalists.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,061
    Gay and Powell fail drug tests:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/athletics/23307913

'A' samples only atm.

On the off-topic of heat: Mrs J did the London 10K run today, and it was blistering hot just standing on the Embankment waiting for her to go past. Fortunately she was with a friend who had never done 10K before, so she took it very slowly.

I can understand why soldiers undergoing rigorous training can die from heat exhaustion, although it does bring up the question of how near to the knuckle do you take the training?

Whenever I hear about soldier's deaths on the Beacons, I always wonder about SAS selection or pre-training. I've seen them practice up there and they're nuts.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,986

Yet another British triumph ;

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/cycling/23306438

A salute to Tom Simpson.

Err... would that be Tom Simpson the drugs cheat?
    The stuff Simpson was on (Amphetamines) is like a pen-knife compared to the nuclear missiles that blood doping and EPO are.
  • Options
    MonkeysMonkeys Posts: 755
    Carola said:

I always think he's doing a bad impression of Tony Blair, with the glottal stop and the little pauses and "y'know's"
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,986
    Financier said:

I agree with Roger regarding Broad. There is a vast difference between a possible nick that requires DRS verification and a huge nick that visibly diverts the path of the ball. I am puzzled as to why the umpire did not ask for a review himself - he is allowed to change his mind - or was he too embarrassed to lose face?

Re:EdM,if he only got married because it looked right to the public then he is not a man who believes in his principles if he was happy not to be married previously -not PM material if he is a Vicar of Bray.

Its Dar, he is not the best umpire and has previous on edges : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JAcFSR8C0rQ
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    @JJ

Great news, the testing is clearly getting better.

Also opens the door for a GB medal in the 100m men.
  • Options
    JohnOJohnO Posts: 4,215
    Neil said:

@Andrea

Looks like she will be a vote in the bag for Yvette should she be a candidate for Labour leader in the future. Should win back Sherwood fairly handily.

Why do you think handily (or indeed at all)? Seat is highly marginal and could go either way. Current Tory MP is also a local lad.
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    Cheshire Farmer.. That Stupid woman post ..is that fact or just your opinion..Do you have a link for the Tory front bench members who said that,all of them..or is it another Porkie
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    Chris Oxlade wins Crawley Labour selection. He was the candidate last time too. He defeats Michael Jones, Sean McKee, Mark Latham and Sohail Munawar.
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    PROSPECTIVE PARLIAMENTARY CANDIDATE SELECTIONS FOR 2015 GENERAL ELECTION

89 CONSERVATIVE
    82 LABOUR
    30 LIBERAL DEMOCRATS
    44 UKIP
    4 THE GREEN PARTY
    5 PLAID CYMRU

• Options
    @JohnO

No special insight, I'm sure it will be a dogfight so "handily" was a bad choice of words, but if Labour isnt picking up seats like this then it will be a bad, bad night for them.
  • Options
    "he chickened out of moving against Brown in May 2008"

On topic, and apologies if this question has been addressed up-thread while i was drinking away an exquisite afternoon.

What exactly was little Ed doing in 2008, apart from sucking at the Brownian teat for all he was worth?

Miliband Minor = major waste of space.

Miliband Major = minor waste of space.

... this is all ye know and all ye need to know ...

• Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,989
    MikeK said:

PROSPECTIVE PARLIAMENTARY CANDIDATE

So much for the Tories being behind because of the boundary changes.
  • Options
    So Cheshire Farmer ..it was just another of your many porkies.
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    The Tories have lots of sitting MPs already reselected. I guess that's an advantage of having more seats as they have fewer targets and more defences But in the defences, they don't need a full selection process but a simple re-adoption of the current MP. They have chosen 42 candidates in not held constituencies so far. Labour have selected 84 PPCs in their target seats so far.
    RobD said:

MikeK said:

PROSPECTIVE PARLIAMENTARY CANDIDATE

So much for the Tories being behind because of the boundary changes.
  • Options
    @Andrea

That's a fair point, Andrea, but IOS' glee at the prospect of the Tories selecting on the wrong boundaries is looking a little, er, silly now.
  • Options
    The boundary review actually slowed Labour process as all seats picking candidates now would have probably selected last year if boundary chages had not been proposed.
  • Options

blockquote>

Apparently, she got married last week.

• Options
    Roger said:

Young Tulip sounds ideal. It's time Labour gave the Tories a run for their money with connections in high places and as the Granddaughter and sister of eminent politicians from the sub continent she should know all about maximizing the vote

Just wait for the inevitable scandals !
  • Options
    john_zimsjohn_zims Posts: 3,399
    @surbiton

'http://www.tulipsiddiq.com/

'3) Put the NHS at the heart of my campaign to ensure that our vital health service is protected.'

Did she already know about Hewitt,Johnson & Burnham?
  • Options
    Blofelds_CatBlofelds_Cat Posts: 154
    Roger said:

@Moniker

"Clarke shows the class that you lack ;"

No. Clark shows dignity in defeat which is what good sportsmanship demands. As an English supporter I'd suggest banning Broad for the rest of the season which neither shows I have or haven't got class. It just shows the way I prefer cricket to be played..

I think Agar should have walked to that LBW on Day 2 - it was clearly plumb. Definitely changed the course of the match. ;)

What we really want is a return to the days of England losing, but with great honour and some real "sportsmanship".

B**l**ks
  • Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382
    Glenda Jackson's retirement means she'll be able to spend more time being Dan Hodges's mum

@Roger

Yes, Glenda announced 2 years ago that she was retiring. She will be 79 in 2015.

• Options
    john_zimsjohn_zims Posts: 3,399
    @Tim

Did Lynton Crosby also persuade Andy Burnham?

'Andy Burnham, Secretary of State Health, November 2009:

“No studies have shown that introducing plain packaging of tobacco products would cut the number of young people smoking, or enable people who want to quit, to do so. Given the impact that plain packaging would have on intellectual property rights, we would need strong and convincing evidence showing the health benefits of this policy before it would be acceptable at an international level.”

Exactly the same lines spun by the current governmen
  • Options
    Now salivating hopefuls are waiting for Dobson in that corner of the world...
  • Options
    MrJonesMrJones Posts: 3,523
    Neil said:

@Carlotta

That's the wrong question - what could Rowena achieve if she was appointed Director of a state body by someone she went to uni with?

If all these NHS scandals are investigated properly there might be lots of examples of exactly that.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,127
    In Australia, new Nielsen poll has ALP 50-Coalition 50. Primary votes of 39% for Labor (up 10), 44% for the Coalition (down three) and 9% for the Greens (down two). Kevin Rudd’s personal ratings are 51% approve and 43% disapprove, while Tony Abbott is on 41% (down three) and 56% disapprove (up three). Rudd leads as preferred prime minister by 55-41.
  • Options
    @HYUFD

Are you going to take your profit on the ALP now or hold on until the election? We need to thank the ALP for the profits as well as the entertainment.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,359

Leonie Mathers gets Sherwood Labour nomination. She wins it from an Open Shortlist.

http://www.leoniemathers.co.uk/

Unite was backing another young guy.

So running total of Unite's 41 is now
    11 selected
    15 defeated
    15 to go

The % of Unite backed winning candidates is around 42%, the same as it was pre Falkirk exposure.

Interesting - Laclan Morrison was the early strong favourite, as he had the backing of all the unions. But Leonie came in strongly and Laclan's youth may have played against him - his time will come, I think.

• Options
    o/t - Irish Labour leader seems to be rowing back a bit on comments that the gay marriage referendum (what fun!) will be held next year. Now he is saying "that is a possibility" whereas at Dublin Pride he seemed more certain. I think a few pbc-ers got on at 16/5 for the vote to be held next year. Still looks good value.
  • Options
    AveryLPAveryLP Posts: 7,815
    And I think to myself ... What a wonderful world!
  • Options
    @AveryLP

You've been basking in the good news....
  • Options
    Neil said:

@AveryLP

You've been basking in the good news....

A sweet smile on the Sky News sofa is electoral gold, Neil. Electoral gold.

• Options
    Neil- Certainly was entertaining, but they clearly made the right call and while it will be tight I am looking for a Rudd win. The ALP's odds have now fallen significantly, although the Coalition still slightly ahead
  • Options
    @AveryLP

Are you sure you dont mean electoral viagra?
  • Options
    Neil said:

@AveryLP

Are you sure you dont mean electoral viagra?

I don't need air-conditioning, Neil.

I can take the heat.

• Options
    PlatoPlato Posts: 15,724
    Press Gazette @pressgazette
    George Osborne bans pre-release of important Budget info to Evening Standard and broadcasters ow.ly/mUk6s
  • Options
    old_labourold_labour Posts: 3,238
    Aye, but he got his poker into the grate while the fire was still smouldering ;)
    Plato said:

taffys said:

''Some may smile on this behaviour and call him *ruthless* - I think it stinks - and don't feel he's loyal to anyone but himself.''

Your observation is correct I think, but it makes the tory charge that Ed is 'weak' look very stupid. Ed isn't weak. He wants to be PM and will do whatever it takes to get it, and keep it.

There's a kind of insurance for voters in that. Ed isn't about to embark on a bunch of crazy leftie measures if its gonna cost him power.

But he is weak because he's playing endlessly to himself. He's not taking his party voters with him but has ridden on the backs of Unite, Tom Watson re hacking et al. He endlessly calls for 'a judge-led inq' into everything in the desperate hope of hitting a nerve - clearly something he has little natural feel for.

He's scoring 50s % approval with Labour voters. According to an ex-GF he used 'feel sorry and mother me' to get laid. I'm sorry but none of this says to me Alpha Male Leader Who Is PM Material.

If we were watching Lost - he'd be the whiny scheming character who lasted until the penultimate episode and was finally killed off.
  • Options
    PlatoPlato Posts: 15,724
    LOL :^ O

Aye, but he got his poker into the grate while the fire was still smouldering ;)

Plato said:

taffys said:

''Some may smile on this behaviour and call him *ruthless* - I think it stinks - and don't feel he's loyal to anyone but himself.''

Your observation is correct I think, but it makes the tory charge that Ed is 'weak' look very stupid. Ed isn't weak. He wants to be PM and will do whatever it takes to get it, and keep it.

There's a kind of insurance for voters in that. Ed isn't about to embark on a bunch of crazy leftie measures if its gonna cost him power.

But he is weak because he's playing endlessly to himself. He's not taking his party voters with him but has ridden on the backs of Unite, Tom Watson re hacking et al. He endlessly calls for 'a judge-led inq' into everything in the desperate hope of hitting a nerve - clearly something he has little natural feel for.

He's scoring 50s % approval with Labour voters. According to an ex-GF he used 'feel sorry and mother me' to get laid. I'm sorry but none of this says to me Alpha Male Leader Who Is PM Material.

If we were watching Lost - he'd be the whiny scheming character who lasted until the penultimate episode and was finally killed off.
  • Options
    He doesn't seem to have won over David Davis.
    fitalass said:

I wouldn't pin the blame entirely on David Miliband. I think that the whole PLP from the most senior Cabinet members down to the backbenchers were all complicit in delivering Brown's Premiership. And what made it worse is the fact that they all knew better than anyone else just how unsuited he was to the role of PM and party leaders.

On the issue of which of the Miliband brother was the better option, neither are as they both share one big problem with the other candidates that ran in the last Labour Leadership contest. And that is the fact that none of them were suited to the job of finally healing the wounds created by the Blair/Brown years at the most senior levels of the PLP and bringing about a sense of unity and purpose. With a Coalition Government comes the luxury of being the only main Opposition, and that has bred a complacency that has allowed a lack of strong Leadership and a policy vacuum to grow unhindered.

Whatever you say about Cameron's leadership in Opposition, the fact that he managed to bring back Hague, IDS and even Clarke into the fold of the Shadow Cabinet speaks volumes about the current dire straights in the upper echelons of the Labour party.

David Miliband was worse than that. He had the choice of either running against Brown or conclusively squishing the speculation. He somehow managed to do neither, which weakened the government without actually solving the problem of Gordon Brown not turning out to be the great electoral asset Labour might have hoped.

I'm not really seeing what some people seem to see in him. His personal big idea was the individual carbon ration card. He's fine as a speaker, but for the leadership Labour dodged a bullet, IMHO.

• Options
    HYUFD said:

In Australia, new Nielsen poll has ALP 50-Coalition 50. Primary votes of 39% for Labor (up 10), 44% for the Coalition (down three) and 9% for the Greens (down two). Kevin Rudd’s personal ratings are 51% approve and 43% disapprove, while Tony Abbott is on 41% (down three) and 56% disapprove (up three). Rudd leads as preferred prime minister by 55-41.

Good on ye, Rudd ! Cometh the hour, cometh the man !
  • Options
    surbiton said:

Good on ye, Rudd ! Cometh the hour, cometh the man !

Disappointingly sexist of you!
  • Options
    So Tulip has been knocking on doors for 15 years.

Sounds like good experience for a wannabe bailiff.

• Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    Who the gods want to destroy, they first make mad.
    Our Met police are on the very verge of destruction, even if they don't know it's coming.
    The Met keep on coming up with insane policies.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/journalists/andrew-gilligan/7908273/Police-Muslim-forum-headed-by-Islamic-extremist.html
  • Options
    @MikeK

They seem to have mostly survived in the years since though.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    Avery,

If you are about I would be interested in your comments on this:

Is it all smoke and mirrors?

http://moneyweek.com/blog/the-truth-about-gdp-and-why-were-not-in-a-recession/#comments
  • Options
    No_Offence_AlanNo_Offence_Alan Posts: 3,845
    Pulpstar said:

Financier said:

Its Dar, he is not the best umpire and has previous on edges : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JAcFSR8C0rQ
    I read today that the problem is there are only 4 non-English/Australian qualified test umpires.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,061
    SeanT said:

Gay and Powell fail drug tests:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/athletics/23307913

'A' samples only atm.

On the off-topic of heat: Mrs J did the London 10K run today, and it was blistering hot just standing on the Embankment waiting for her to go past. Fortunately she was with a friend who had never done 10K before, so she took it very slowly.

I can understand why soldiers undergoing rigorous training can die from heat exhaustion, although it does bring up the question of how near to the knuckle do you take the training?

Whenever I hear about soldier's deaths on the Beacons, I always wonder about SAS selection or pre-training. I've seen them practice up there and they're nuts.

In my lad mag days I interviewed an ex SASer who said the selection process for 22 SAS is so tough it permanently damages you, physically.

Relatedly or not, he later committed suicide.
    I've had very little contact with SAS, but have seen SAS wannabes practising on the hills. They are seriously impressive. As an example: about 12 years ago I was climbing up Pen-y-Fan from the beallach between it and Fan-y-Big (yes, I know). I was carrying full camping equipment and heavy snow was forecast. In the time it took me to climb the 290 metres to the top, a Royal Marine training for selection made it up and down 2.5 times.

We chatted in high winds at the summit. He was planning to bivvy out overnight, and we had a few inches of snow that night.

Some SAS do selection after they've passed, just for the heck of it.

Amazing people.
  • Options
    Josias Jessop - Indeed, I am based in Hereford at the moment and a lot of SAS types about at the base which is not far away, indeed one of the girls' I lived with until a few months ago had a father who was at the Iranian Embassy siege and her boyfriend's family was also forces connected (I think SeanT comes from this neck of the woods originally too?)
  • Options
    SeanT - Pure Politics by Hollande. Lots of reports today in the press about how former PM Francois Fillon will challenge Sarkozy for the UMP nomination in 2017 and run as an independent if he does not get it. Hollande knows he will have a huge challenge beating a mainstream right candidate in the second round, so instead he is hoping to maximise his left-wing vote in the first round and then hope a rising Marine Le Pen gets to the second round ahead of a split centre-right and he can then do a Chirac 2002 and present himself as the centrist father of the nation figure at a time of crisis in round 2 and romp home against Le Pen!
  • Options
    Surbiton - Indeed, but the ALP will be hoping it stays close and competitive, as they do not want the Liberals to dump Abbott with the more popular Turnbull
  • Options

I've had very little contact with SAS, but have seen SAS wannabes practising on the hills. They are seriously impressive. As an example: about 12 years ago I was climbing up Pen-y-Fan from the beallach between it and Fan-y-Big (yes, I know). I was carrying full camping equipment and heavy snow was forecast. In the time it took me to climb the 290 metres to the top, a Royal Marine training for selection made it up and down 2.5 times.

We chatted in high winds at the summit. He was planning to bivvy out overnight, and we had a few inches of snow that night.

Some SAS do selection after they've passed, just for the heck of it.

Amazing people.

In the 1990s I stayed for a night in a hotel in Brecon town square. At around 1am i was awaken by a noise which turned out to be half a dozen squaddies in combat fatigues dragging a naked man along the street. Whether or not this was an initiation rite or a recruitment interview I couldn't help thinking he had earned the right to die for his country.
This discussion has been closed.