Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The government should resign if the Courts prevent it from inv

Comments

• Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,897

MaxPB said:

CD13 said:

I keep asking what the point is of debating Article 50. "We're important so we want to know," isn't enough. When we used to have Summit meetings between East and West, no one demanded that the US President or British PM give a complete dossier of how much they would concede. That's because we all wanted them to succeed.

Unfortunately, 'We want to delay things and then 'reluctantly' vote against,' is definitely the aim of some. They want a fig leaf to subvert the will of the people.

Why not be honest and say outright ... "The people don't agree with me, but as I know I'm more intelligent and have better judgement than anyone else, I should make the important decisions."

Isn't that the basis of Parliamentary democracy? We do leave decisions to our elected representatives. Their job is to understand things better than voters, who are busy getting on with other things. We have decided to leave the EU. It is now up to our elected representatives to sort out how that will happen and under what terms.

Yes, but none of that requires them to vote again in a vote that could mean that we don't.

In particular, they have already agreed to the "how" when they passed the Lisbon Treaty.

We are leaving the European Union.

Maybe not, if Parliament gets to vote again.
    Parliament isn't going to vote on anything more than enabling A50. Which will sail through both houses it seems. Any MP defying their constituents will find themselves out of a job within a few months when the government calls an election and UKIP stand against the traitors. Anyway, it's all moot because a vote will easily be won, the government is frit for no reason.
    If Parliament votes on whether A50 can be invoked, that implies that it can decide that it can't. Since that would frustrate the will of the people, the very holding of an A50 vote would be undemocratic.
    The decision to trigger A50 was never to be democratic. The wish for it to happen was stated democratically, but the decision to be formalised needed either the government or parliament to bring it into effect. Both of who. Could in theory decide not to, frustrating the will if the people.

That it is possible is not a reason not to do it that way. The only question surely is how it can legally be done. In the absence of a binding referendum, any option involves the possibility, albeit slight, that the result won't be implemented.
  • Options
    For weeks us Remainers have been accused of being stuck somewhere in the stages of grief.

It appears scanning the newspapers that Leavers are now experiencing the same thing as they fail to come to terms with the constitution of their own country which they wanted back.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,731

Nigelb said:

On the advisory nature of the referendum, again, the government didn't even try to argue that it was a source of authority for the decision to trigger. I suspect this will need to be repeated throughout the thread at regular intervals.

Yes it did. It's in the leaflet it sent in February, where it says something like "we will implement your decision." No doubt those with more technical skill than me can embed the preciese quote in a comment.
    I don't follow that argument. A government can only implement decisions if it commands a majority in parliament; requiring them to go through the process of passing a bill can hardly be seen as frustrating that commitment.

I fully understand the outrage - and there is no doubt that a very large number of people will share the feelings of the Barnsley residents on R4 this morning who were expressing bemusement that we are not already 'out'. May should have, and still must I think, ram a one line bill through the commons, and threaten the Lords with extinction if they meddle.
    Far better politics than a snap election.
    Governments can implement decisions where they have the necessary authority. The primary question of the case is about whether they do have that authority. The secondary, related, question is what has given, or would give, them that authority.
    Quite - and the courts have decided that the necessary authority is in this case a vote in parliament. A leaflet does not confer authority.

Get on with a one line bill - or does May not trust her parliamentary daftspeople ?
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

kle4 said:

That mail headline is bloody ridiculous and possibly even dangerous, given the judgement was quite clear it was not concerned about political questions and was concerned not with leaving the Eu but whether the government had the power to trigger it or not or if parliament needed to do it, and given the judgement in no way prevents Brexit even if it us upheld. And the government accepted the question on whether it had the power or not was for the courts to decide, it all seems right and proper, now we see what the appeal will say. The alternative is a world where the government says it has the power to do things without parliament and we have to take their word for it. I know some are worried Brexit will be prevented, or irritated it will a more frustrated process, but it wasn't happening until march anyway, and being forced to defend the legal and procedural basis now will prevent any criticism on that basis later.

What a world when conhome is sensible by comparison.

As a lay person I found the judgement convincing - it will be interesting to see the appeal, as the judges felt the government case to be misconceived on a fundamental point, and for the court to be wrong they instead woukd be the ones fundamentally in error.

They are - they confused UK law and international law.
    You do realise that using phrases such as "so to do..." does not give us confidence that your legal knowledge is greater than that of the three most senior members of the UK judiciary.
    I don't doubt that they have more legal experience than I do. Experience doesn't confer infallibility.
  • Options
    619619 Posts: 1,784
    JackW said:

National Panel Tracker - LA Times - Sample 2,962 - 28 Oct - 3 Nov

Clinton 43.4 .. Trump 46.9

http://graphics.latimes.com/usc-presidential-poll-dashboard/

Not that I rate this, but isn't that a 2 point swing back to Clinton from yesterday?
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,313
    Jobabob said:

On one point of detail, David Herdson is simply wrong to say that all past referendums in the UK have been respected. If that were true, we wouldn't be getting directly elected mayors of Birmingham and Manchester.

Those are different roles from the ones that were voted on in 2011.
    I'm sure that will be of great comfort to all those who expressed their view on the first proposal and who had no opportunity to express their view on the tweaks to the proposal that the government imposed on them.
    FWIW, I agree that the Metro-mayors should have been put to a popular vote, as that of London originally was. But all the same, they're still different jobs and the ones envisaged in 2011 were not introduced when the referendums failed.
    Disagree. And also disagree that the London system should ever have been put to a referendum. Thankfully it was won. But the London metro mayoralty should have been imposed in the same way that the Manchester and Liverpool metro mayoralties have been. Local government reorganisation should not require referenda. Mrs T didn't seek the views of Londoners when she abolished the GLC!
    Actually I disagree. Our system of government would be improved if local government had - as it does in most other countries - a secure position in the constitution separate from central government. In Britain central government has complete power over local government and it isn't great that, as happened in London and elsewhere during the 80s, big chunks of it can be abolished without any reference to people in the areas affected.
  • Options

Jobabob said:

ydoethur said:

PlatoSaid said:

CD13 said:

I've no legal training but what are judges for? To uphold and interpret the law. Who makes the law? The people through their representatives in Parliament.

Think of a pedant's distinction between less and fewer. If someone says less people, we still know what they mean. The Judges like to be those pedants.

Everyone knew this was a decisive vote on our European future, even the Judges. No one thought ... 'Oh well, it doesn't matter, because if we lose, we'll go over the small print with a fine tooth comb, ask someone to adjudicate who's on our side, and we'll wriggle out anyway.'

What message is being sent here? The pedants pretend they don't understand because they don't like the voters' views. They regards the little people as expendable to their own wants. They are 'experts' in their getting their own way and the will of the people can go ... itself.

I suspect some legal people get it. Some don't want to.

snip.
    Only in the eyes of people who are asses.

The law is imperfect, and judges and juries make mistakes. Few people would disagree with that. But saying that the law is an ass based on reports on newspapers, tw*tter headlines or other social media is a very dangerous road to go down.

Court cases are more complex than newspaper summaries (often going for clickbait headlines) allow for.
    snip
    If the Supreme Court upholds this, I can't see any alternative to a general election. That may be good news for UKIP and the Conservatives. I wonder if Labour have considered the implications? I suspect not, or that idiot Emily Thornberry might not have sounded quite so triumphalist this morning.

Yes, we need a general election. That is completely clear.

It will also be good news for Labour. It will mean getting rid of the utterly useless wrecker Corbyn his nasty gang of antisemitic hard left bullies three years early. Bring it on.
    Morning all,

The alternative to the judges decision would have set the precedent that Royal Prerogative, as acted upon by Ministers, could be used on domestic issues. This is a highly dangerous road to go on imho and is unconstitutional, exactly as the judges upheld.

The law is not an ass. The ruling was based on the settle will of the people and common law laid down over centuries about the power of the crown in Parliament.

It has upheld the rights of Parliament against an over mighty executive.

Why are Leavers suddenly against Parliamentary sovereignty?

Parliamentary sovereignty is fine provided that they don't get to overturn referendum decisions.
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    Nevada Clinton firewall moves to 60K plus in early voting as of last night.

Nevada is done :

https://twitter.com/RalstonReports?ref_src=twsrc^google|twcamp^serp|twgr^author

• Options
    JackW said:

MINI ARSE4US ALERT **** MINI ARSE4US ALERT **** FOP CALL **** FOP CALL ****

ARSE4US FOP CALLS :

FLORIDA - CLINTON
    OHIO - STILL TCTC
    PENNSYLVANIA - CLINTON

HILLARY CLINTON IS THE 45th PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES

.......................................................................................................

Battleground States Calls For Trump :

Iowa .. Texas .. Georgia .. Utah .. Alaska

Battleground States Calls For Clinton :

New Hampshire .. Pennsylvania .. Michigan .. Wisconsin .. Florida .. Colorado .. Nevada

Battleground States Still Too Close To Call :

North Carolina .. Ohio .. Arizona

Electoral College :

Clinton 308 .. Trump 186 .. TCTC 44

MAP :

http://www.270towin.com/maps/AWDVB

Interesting: Are you not convinced by the polls last night for NH? Or Trump's lead in Ohio and tie in Florida?
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,054

Sorry - yes, I agree with that. But those who brought the case are wrong. They cannot prevent Brexit, as the judgment made absolutely clear. The only way Brexit does not happen from here is if the British people change their minds. And that is highly unlikely.

I wish I shared your confidence.

There are two stages to this obviously (I am ignoring the idea that the Government might win its appeal as I have already said I think the court decision was correct)

The first stage is that Parliament has some sort of vote on Article 50. If May wins that then everything goes ahead as planned but I am not convinced she will.

The second stage is that if she loses then she calls a GE. At that point my faith in Brexit evaporates completely. We already know that GE's are simply no reflection of people's views on a specific subject. There is absolutely no reason to be sure that a Parliament after a GE will be a reflection of the people's views on Brexit. Indeed we already know that the current Parliament would not be reflecting people's views on Brexit or we would never have got to the point of needing a GE.

But of course the remain side will be sure to use that as the excuse to abandon the referendum result and claim they are reflecting the will of the people.

After which - who knows. Complete chaos I would suggest.
    "Indeed we already know that the current Parliament would not be reflecting people's views on Brexit or we would never have got to the point of needing a GE."

That's not the case if the blockers are in the HoL, not the HoC.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    JackW said:

Will this delay your ARSE?
  • Options

Ashcroft's Ohio voters:

“do we want him smacking the Queen of England’s butt during a meeting?”

http://lordashcroftpolls.com/2016/11/do-we-want-him-smacking-the-queen-of-englands-butt-my-final-pre-election-focus-groups-in-ohio/

This confirms what we have said before, that the presidency is three offices in one, and even for those who like what they think are his policies, Trump is falling short on the other two of these roles: commander in chief (can he be trusted not to start ww3 on a whim?) and head of state -- does he look presidential with the dignity to represent the United States on the world stage and at banquets with Her Maj?
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,892
    JackW said:

ARSE4US FOP CALLS :

FLORIDA - CLINTON
    OHIO - STILL TCTC
    PENNSYLVANIA - CLINTON

.......................................................................................................

New Hampshire .. Pennsylvania .. Michigan .. Wisconsin .. Florida .. Colorado .. Nevada

Electoral College :

MAP :

IN JACK WE TRUST (fingers crossed)
  • Options

For weeks us Remainers have been accused of being stuck somewhere in the stages of grief.

It appears scanning the newspapers that Leavers are now experiencing the same thing as they fail to come to terms with the constitution of their own country which they wanted back.

Not all leavers, one hastens to add. But the point is fair to some degree. Although it seems more panic from people fearing parliament would not trigger a50, when even if they do not,there would be co sequences.
  • Options
    619 said:

JackW said:

Not that I rate this, but isn't that a 2 point swing back to Clinton from yesterday?
    Trump was +5.4 yesterday.
  • Options
    A question posed by conversations below:

If the referendum bill had said the result was mandatory rather than advisory, would it have passed into law?
  • Options
    kle4 said:

kle4 said:

That mail headline is bloody ridiculous and possibly even dangerous, given the judgement was quite clear it was not concerned about political questions and was concerned not with leaving the Eu but whether the government had the power to trigger it or not or if parliament needed to do it, and given the judgement in no way prevents Brexit even if it us upheld. And the government accepted the question on whether it had the power or not was for the courts to decide, it all seems right and proper, now we see what the appeal will say. The alternative is a world where the government says it has the power to do things without parliament and we have to take their word for it. I know some are worried Brexit will be prevented, or irritated it will a more frustrated process, but it wasn't happening until march anyway, and being forced to defend the legal and procedural basis now will prevent any criticism on that basis later.

As a lay person I found the judgement convincing - it will be interesting to see the appeal, as the judges felt the government case to be misconceived on a fundamental point, and for the court to be wrong they instead woukd be the ones fundamentally in error.

Fine. and that will be a good thing to know moving forward.
    https://spinninghugo.wordpress.com/2016/11/03/how-the-government-lost/
  • Options

TOPPING said:

kle4 said:

You do realise that using phrases such as "so to do..." does not give us confidence that your legal knowledge is greater than that of the three most senior members of the UK judiciary.
    I don't doubt that they have more legal experience than I do. Experience doesn't confer infallibility.
    True enough. Judges make mistakes all the time. As do governments, a good thing we're having this process to iron things out,
  • Options
    JobabobJobabob Posts: 3,807
    JackW said:

The fabled LA Times Plato tracker reverting to mean?
  • Options

IanB2 said:

MaxPB said:

CD13 said:

I keep asking what the point is of debating Article 50. "We're important so we want to know," isn't enough. When we used to have Summit meetings between East and West, no one demanded that the US President or British PM give a complete dossier of how much they would concede. That's because we all wanted them to succeed.

Unfortunately, 'We want to delay things and then 'reluctantly' vote against,' is definitely the aim of some. They want a fig leaf to subvert the will of the people.

Why not be honest and say outright ... "The people don't agree with me, but as I know I'm more intelligent and have better judgement than anyone else, I should make the important decisions."

Isn't that the basis of Parliamentary democracy? We do leave decisions to our elected representatives. Their job is to understand things better than voters, who are busy getting on with other things. We have decided to leave the EU. It is now up to our elected representatives to sort out how that will happen and under what terms.

Yes, but none of that requires them to vote again in a vote that could mean that we don't.

In particular, they have already agreed to the "how" when they passed the Lisbon Treaty.

Parliament isn't going to vote on anything more than enabling A50. Which will sail through both houses it seems. Any MP defying their constituents will find themselves out of a job within a few months when the government calls an election and UKIP stand against the traitors. Anyway, it's all moot because a vote will easily be won, the government is frit for no reason.
    If Parliament votes on whether A50 can be invoked, that implies that it can decide that it can't. Since that would frustrate the will of the people, the very holding of an A50 vote would be undemocratic.
    Since your earlier very similar post, I see thist you have reworded "decision of the people" to "will of the people"
    Same thing.
    Er, no.
  • Options

Sorry - yes, I agree with that. But those who brought the case are wrong. They cannot prevent Brexit, as the judgment made absolutely clear. The only way Brexit does not happen from here is if the British people change their minds. And that is highly unlikely.

There are two stages to this obviously (I am ignoring the idea that the Government might win its appeal as I have already said I think the court decision was correct)

The first stage is that Parliament has some sort of vote on Article 50. If May wins that then everything goes ahead as planned but I am not convinced she will.

The second stage is that if she loses then she calls a GE. At that point my faith in Brexit evaporates completely. We already know that GE's are simply no reflection of people's views on a specific subject. There is absolutely no reason to be sure that a Parliament after a GE will be a reflection of the people's views on Brexit. Indeed we already know that the current Parliament would not be reflecting people's views on Brexit or we would never have got to the point of needing a GE.

But of course the remain side will be sure to use that as the excuse to abandon the referendum result and claim they are reflecting the will of the people.

"Indeed we already know that the current Parliament would not be reflecting people's views on Brexit or we would never have got to the point of needing a GE."

That is true but I was outlining a position where it is very likely we could see Brexit dumped completely.

Most people on here seem to think it could not happen but I think it is very possible indeed.
  • Options

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

The people were told that Article 50 would be triggered the day after the referendum. If anything, that is what they voted for. The government, therefore, failed to deliver on what it promised. If it had done as it promised, none of this would have happened. But it didn't; it lied. When a government lies, the only protection we have is our Parliament and the courts.

Yes we were told that and with the benefit of hindsight it is a pity that Cameron did not keep that promise even although he had not done any preparatory work or allowed it to be done. But he was right to acknowledge that the decision had been made. This is not a question for Parliament any more. Of course they still have several very important roles.

They can challenge and test the government's negotiating position. At least in theory they could direct the government to seek membership of the Customs Union for example. If the government does not obey they can dismiss it.

They also require to pass legislation to repeal the ECA and make provision for the thousands of other cases where EU law has become our law. They have autonomy and discretion as to how they do this.

But the decision to leave has been made.

Yep. And yesterday's judgment does not change that. But Cameron's lies show just how important it is that parliament holds the executive to account, especially when the rights of private citizens are at stake.

I agree but what has that got to do with the decision of the Court that Article 50 cannot be triggered without Parliamentary consent?

The executive cannot be given a free had to initiate a process that will remove rights from private citizens without the approval of Parliament. The executive cannot be trusted.

In what way is 'being bound to the decision of the people' 'having a free hand'?

It isn't. I am talking about the process. Invoking Article 50 is part of that process. The government has already broken its pledge about invoking Article 50. It was a pledge made as clearly as anything written in a pamphlet. The government cannot be trusted.

• Options
    619 said:

JackW said:

Yes, massive jump in Male subsample (even as female support falls)
  • Options
    619 said:

Interesting: Are you not convinced by the polls last night for NH? Or Trump's lead in Ohio and tie in Florida?

ARSE4US speaks .... ignore it at your peril .... :smile:

• Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,031

Do you fear the LDs win the GE?
  • Options
    JackW said:

ARSE4US FOP CALLS :

FLORIDA - CLINTON
    OHIO - STILL TCTC
    PENNSYLVANIA - CLINTON

Electoral College :

MAP :

Thanks Jack - bit bullish on FL?
  • Options
    JackW said:

Nevada is done :

Does it still have early voting this weekend and 'Soul to the polls'?
  • Options
    JackW said:

Nevada is done :

As I posted last night the link between registerd party affiliation and votes accrued would have to be totally and utterly shattered for Clinton to lose Nevada.
  • Options

That can be dealt with by a flood.
  • Options

IanB2 said:

MaxPB said:

CD13 said:

Since your earlier very similar post, I see thist you have reworded "decision of the people" to "will of the people"
    Same thing.
    "will of the people" is rubbish, "decision of half of the people" is nearer.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

No but I do fear that we will see a hung Parliament in which the Article 50 vote cannot be passed.
  • Options
    I very much hope that Jack's ARSE is right. But it is worth remembering that it was wrong about the EU referendum and quite a way out in the Scottish independence referendum. Maybe it is less than robust for what are essentially binary choices.
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,135
    Roger said:

Having just heard Nick Clegg it's becomming clear that the new strategy of the REMAINERS is to say we respect the wishes of the winning LEAVERS but ensure that this involves minimal change. No one specified what BREXIT means so Clegg's position is perfectly reasonable.

May is being outmanoevered.

Outmanoeuvred by Nick Clegg? Nooooooooooo!
  • Options
    619 said:

JackW said:

All polls are worthwhile as benchmarks, and yes, it is...
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

How is the hand by the way?
  • Options

If the referendum bill had said the result was mandatory rather than advisory, would it have passed into law?

An interesting counter-factual; I don't know but suspect most of the fuss would have come from the leave side. If you read Farage's comments in the days before the vote it is clear that he was intending to use the advisory nature of the vote as his legitimacy to argue on, in the event of the narrow Remain win that he was obviously (and said that he was) expecting.
  • Options
    edited November 2016

That is true but I was outlining a position where it is very likely we could see Brexit dumped completely.

Most people on here seem to think it could not happen but I think it is very possible indeed.
    Based on a ge result? But surely the Tories woukd win a ge and will promise to trigger Brexit even if it means abolishing the lords or something. Will labour not commit to respecting the referendum too? It's possible, but I don't see Brexit frustration as likely myself.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,288
    Judges, ENEMIES OF THE PEOPLE...

If only they could be burnt in effigy in Sussex tomorrow night, though I guess that Cameron, Farage, Osborne, Corbyn or even some American politicians might feature tomorrow night instead.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

MaxPB said:

CD13 said:

Same thing.
    Er, no.
    I wrote both posts, so I should know...
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,031

rcs1000 said:

How is the hand by the way?
    Immobile :)

Fortunately my right hand still works. And I'm OK at one hand typing
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

No but I do fear that we will see a hung Parliament in which the Article 50 vote cannot be passed.

Not a chance. The Tories will win the triple figure majority. Corbyn is the strongest firewall imaginable.

• Options
    kle4 said:

Based on a ge result? But surely the Tories woukd win a ge and will promise to trigger Brexit even if it means abolishing the lords or something. Will labour not commit to respecting the referendum too? It's possible, but I don't see Brexit frustration as likely myself.
    The scenario would be a LibDem landslide, and as a betting site we are best placed to assess its likelihood accordingly.
  • Options
    Well,fascinating discussions, hope the Mail and others calm down. And keep an eye out for the government burying bad news.
  • Options

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

MaxPB said:

CD13 said:

Same thing.
    Er, no.
    That's still a no.
  • Options

As I said yesterday more people voted in favour of Brexit than have ever voted for a winning party in any general election in Britain since Parliament was formed.

If you want to claim that there is no democracy at all in Britain and never has been then feel free but you cannot be partial in choosing which votes are legitimate and which are not as reflections of the will of the people.
  • Options

IanB2 said:

MaxPB said:

CD13 said:

Same thing.
    If you want to be that technical you should say half the people of those eligible to vote who bothered to turnout.
  • Options

IanB2 said:

MaxPB said:

CD13 said:

Same thing.
    A decision of a body is a decision of that body, no matter the size of the majority it passes by.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

An interesting counter-factual; I don't know but suspect most of the fuss would have come from the leave side. If you read Farage's comments in the days before the vote it is clear that he was intending to use the advisory nature of the vote as his legitimacy to argue on, in the event of the narrow Remain win that he was obviously (and said that he was) expecting.
    Did he? I either didn't know that, or have forgotten it. ;)

In which case, it makes it an even more interesting question ...
  • Options
    At close of play yesterday 170K more Hispanics had early voted in Florida than in the entire election of 2012.

Florida is done.

https://twitter.com/steveschale?ref_src=twsrc^google|twcamp^serp|twgr^author
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    dr_spyn said:

If only they could be burnt in effigy in Sussex tomorrow night, though I guess that Cameron, Farage, Osborne, Corbyn or even some American politicians might feature tomorrow night instead.

Who is atop the infamous Lewes bonfire this year?
  • Options

The judgement says that it would always have been mandatory unless "very clear language" had been used to the contrary.

So, the implication is that, yes, it is possible they were saying it would be ok to pass into law.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,370
    edited November 2016

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

MaxPB said:

CD13 said:

I keep asking what the point is of debating Article 50. "We're important so we want to know," isn't enough. When we used to have Summit meetings between East and West, no one demanded that the US President or British PM give a

Which has been the accepted PB Releaver position since the matter first came up.

What I don't understand is why May or Nick Timothy didn't get it also? Perhaps they were still high-fiving at the cleverness of having appointed the three stooges.
    Maybe they understand the intrinsically anti-democratic manner of a further parliamentary vote, even if it were politically certain to pass.
    Cock up, not conspiracy. They were new to the game, in shock, and didn't handle things as they ought to have.

As for this whole secret squirrel overturning the will of the people bolleaux, calm down. MPs want to be involved in the process, not frustrate it.
    If they are able to frustrate it, it's anti-democratic whether they choose to frustrate it or not.
    That is a slightly odd view. What if a party came to a general election on a promise of, say, free owls for all and thereby won a landslide.

Or indeed of course any policy.

They could then theoretically fail to implement that policy so they tend not to as they would be punished by the electorate next time round (cf LibDems).

• Options
    JackW said:

At close of play yesterday 170K more Hispanics had early voted in Florida than in the entire election of 2012.

Florida is done.

Give me an N

Give me a P

Give me a A

What have you got?
  • Options

IanB2 said:

MaxPB said:

CD13 said:

Same thing.
    A decision of a body is a decision of that body, no matter the size of the majority it passes by.
    Except when it wasn't given a (legal) decision in the first place.
  • Options
    JackW said:

Florida is done.

Done-sh. Could include Cuban American support for the republicans.
  • Options
    weejonnieweejonnie Posts: 3,820
    Good news for Clinton on LA Times Dashboard http://graphics.latimes.com/usc-presidential-poll-dashboard/

Gap between her and Trump has narrowed and Democrats more likely to vote than a couple of days ago.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

He would have been wrong to do so. The manner in which Cameron rigged the referendum would have been a different matter.

I would have accepted it, as I said before the vote. Remain would have had to mean remain and doing it properly.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

MaxPB said:

CD13 said:

I keep asking what the point is of debating Article 50. "We're important so we want to know," isn't enough. When we used to have Summit meetings between East and West, no one demanded that the US President or British PM give a

Which has been the accepted PB Releaver position since the matter first came up.

What I don't understand is why May or Nick Timothy didn't get it also? Perhaps they were still high-fiving at the cleverness of having appointed the three stooges.
    Maybe they understand the intrinsically anti-democratic manner of a further parliamentary vote, even if it were politically certain to pass.
    Cock up, not conspiracy. They were new to the game, in shock, and didn't handle things as they ought to have.

As for this whole secret squirrel overturning the will of the people bolleaux, calm down. MPs want to be involved in the process, not frustrate it.
    If they are able to frustrate it, it's anti-democratic whether they choose to frustrate it or not.
    That is a slightly odd view. What if a party came to a general election on a promise of, say, free owls for all and thereby won a landslide.

They could then theoretically fail to implement that policy so they tend not to as they would be punished by the electorate next time round (cf LibDems).

That LibDem landslide must have passed me by.
  • Options
    619 said:

JackW said:

Nevada is done :

Early voting in Nevada finishes today. In 2012 it was a big day for Obama.
  • Options
    ThreeQuidderThreeQuidder Posts: 6,133
    edited November 2016
    IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

MaxPB said:

CD13 said:

Same thing.
    Er, no.
    That's still a no.
    I will refer you to Humpty Dumpty.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

dr_spyn said:

Trump I think. I am sure I saw a headline to that effect a few days ago.
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024
    Jobabob said:

JackW said:

ARSE4US FOP CALLS :

FLORIDA - CLINTON
    OHIO - STILL TCTC
    PENNSYLVANIA - CLINTON

Electoral College :

MAP :

Thanks Jack - bit bullish on FL?
    Agree with that except Georgia, I think she can still win it, get Michelle down there asap.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

dr_spyn said:

I wish I knew, it is always a pleasant surprise to find out as Alex Salmond and others can attest.

It is alleged that Ian Pailsey praised the bonfire burning of The Pope, so the big man was burnt in effigy the following year.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

MaxPB said:

CD13 said:

A general election is not a referendum.
  • Options
    EssexitEssexit Posts: 1,956
    Alistair said:

JackW said:

Florida is done.

Give me an N

Give me a P

Give me a A

What have you got?
    A very disappointing bowl of alphabetti spaghetti.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,080
    edited November 2016
    619 said:

JackW said:

Florida is done.

Saying Florida and Nevada are 'done' when Trump leads Nevada in the RCP poll average and is tied in Florida is ridiculous, as the article I posted yesterday said early voting is often a poor predictor of the eventual winner
  • Options
    Front page of the Express is absolutely hilarious. Comic.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,610

Any pictures? I'm loathe to go on their website at the office.
  • Options
    dr_spyn said:

Trump, Katie Hopkins & Sepp Blatter:

http://www.breitbart.com/london/2016/11/02/english-town-plans-burn-36ft-trump-effigy-weekend/
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

619 said:

JackW said:

Florida is done.

Saying Florida and Nevada are 'done' when Trump leads Nevada in the RCP poll average and is tied in Florida is ridiculous, as the article I posted yesterday said early voting is often a poor predictor of the eventual winner
    Where do you see the massive fracture in Nevada Voter Registration to Votes coming from?
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,101

I would agree with this. Fundamentally the problem is that the result of the referendum went counter to the result the government wanted to get. Cameron took a stupid gamble that went wrong and now we're left with this muddle.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,130

Pulpstar said:

On the headline, whilst it is no criminal matter - and should not be... could the judges sue the Mail for libel as a civil matter ?

If they can I think the Mail decided this was obviously a risk worth taking.

They could but the Daily Mail would argue fair comment. I think the Daily Mail would win.
    That would require judges to find against other judges!
  • Options

dr_spyn said:

http://www.breitbart.com/london/2016/11/02/english-town-plans-burn-36ft-trump-effigy-weekend/
    Isn't Trump holding Clinton's severed head?
  • Options
    I do not agree with those who think May should have put this through Parliament already. Whilst it is unlikely that the Commons would vote down A50 invocation, the Lords may well do everything in their power to delay it. More significantly, we already hear calls from the opponents of Brexit (and some supporters of Brexit) for the government to set out its negotiating position in full.

You go into any negotiation with:

- a starting position
    - an ideal outcome (which may be the same as your starting position)
    - a minimum acceptable outcome (which will be somewhat less than your starting position for there to be any chance of a successful negotiation)

You tell the other side your starting position. You do not reveal the others. If the other side knows your minimum acceptable outcome they are likely to regard that as the starting point, because they know you are willing to give up everything else you are demanding. This minimises the concessions they have to make to you in order to do the deal. Indeed, in some situations it may mean you don't even get your minimum acceptable outcome.

The starting position is never the finishing position and it is rare for a negotiator to achieve their ideal outcome. If the government sets out those publicly in advance, opponents will undoubtedly say that the government has failed in its negotiations and that this justifies voting down the deal in Parliament. If the government sets out its minimum acceptable outcome the final deal is likely to be worse for the UK than if they had not. Again, opponents will undoubtedly say it is a terrible deal, again justifying rejection by Parliament.

There is a Remain majority in the Commons. Whilst few MPs would vote against A50 invocation, there are a significant number who want to frustrate the process. The government could well be forced to make concessions in order to get an A50 bill through Parliament. And the Lords could delay everything.

Parliament has been promised a debate on the outcome of the negotiations. Indeed, if the result is a new treaty between the UK and the EU, it has to go before Parliament. Neither the electorate nor Parliament needs to know the government's negotiating position in advance in order to judge whether or not the outcome is a good deal.

In my view this is not an overmighty executive trying to ignore Parliament democracy. This is simply the executive trying to put the democratic decision made in the referendum into practice and ensure that the process is not sabotaged by the parliamentary anti-Brexit majority. The legal action is an attempt to slow down Brexit with the objective of stopping it completely.

I do not agree with the High Court. I understand their arguments but I think they have got it wrong and, in so doing, have moved us a step further away from democracy and towards krytocracy. I hope the Supreme Court reverses the High Court's decision.
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    HYUFD said:

619 said:

JackW said:

Florida is done.

Well, it was in Nevada when the Dems had a Clark County lead of 55k at the end of early voting in 2012.

The polls were out in Nevada too in 2012 because they didn't have a large enough Hispanic sample.

Saying that, what the current betting odds for Clinton winning Nevada? If the polls are like that at the facts on the ground say something else, that would be a decent bet.

On Florida, I am reluctant to agree Clinton has definitely won as well. Nevada is much smaller though, so that much of a firewall would be extremely difficult to breach without a great GOTV operation...
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @KennyFarq: Argument for an early election doesn't make sense. May's pitch would have to be: "Vote for me so I can refuse to tell you what I'm doing."

Well, exactly.

What will the manifesto say?

"a government for carrying out an undertaking of great advantage, but nobody to know what it is"

Will £350m for the NHS appear in any party literature?
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584

Excellent, Mr Herdson.

• Options

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

MaxPB said:

CD13 said:

Isn't that the basis of Parliamentary democracy? We do leave decisions to our elected representatives. We have decided to leave the EU. It is now up to our elected representatives to sort out how that will happen and under what terms.

We are a representative democracy, a General Election would trump a referendum.
  • Options
    weejonnieweejonnie Posts: 3,820
    JackW said:

619 said:

JackW said:

Nevada is done :

Early voting in Nevada finishes today. In 2012 it was a big day for Obama.
    In Esmerelda county the number of democrat returned votes has gone up by 400% in the last week (from 1 to 5)
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    david_herdson said:

I'm not interested in a charity bet but I'll have a tenner with you directly at evens if you like, on the current High Court case.

I pay you if the decision is that parliament has to vote in order that Article 50 is invoked; you pay me if it's that parliament does not have to?

So, David, want double or quits on the appeal?
  • Options

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

MaxPB said:

CD13 said:

Isn't that the basis of Parliamentary democracy? We do leave decisions to our elected representatives. We have decided to leave the EU. It is now up to our elected representatives to sort out how that will happen and under what terms.

But is that what people want?

• Options
    MaxPB said:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/blogs/the_papers
  • Options
    @CarlottaVance Top Trumps. Thanks.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,352

Yes - David is arguing that the frequency of referendums has de facto changed the constitution, but as this relies on all kinds of tinpot referendums on whether this or that place should have a mayor, etc., I don't think the quantitative argument works, Qualitatively, if the Government had intended the advisory referendum to be considered mandatory, they should have mentioned it in advance, and ideally not used the word "advisory" at all.

Ashcroft focus group amusing and interesting as usual:

http://lordashcroftpolls.com/2016/11/do-we-want-him-smacking-the-queen-of-englands-butt-my-final-pre-election-focus-groups-in-ohio/
  • Options

MaxPB said:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/blogs/the_papers
    Had thought you had referred to the story about Ed Balls being told to foxtrot (Oscar).
  • Options
    PlatoSaidPlatoSaid Posts: 10,383
  • Options
    weejonnie said:

In Esmerelda county the number of democrat returned votes has gone up by 400% in the last week (from 1 to 5)

Clinton Landslide .... :smiley:
  • Options
    Interesting article from Herdson on the court judgement re referendum but I am afraid he vastly overrates the status of referenda in the British constitution. They are essentially an alien populist device with little weight in law or politics, which is partly why they are deemed advisory. He admits his law is rusty and to rest a whole court judgement on the Referendum would be desperately bad law indeed. On a purely practical level it might also be pointed out that Referenda are usually hijacked by those who want to give the government a kicking (as this one undoubtedly was) yet even here the result was essentially a pretty even split., To give this unedifying exercise all the dignity of law and talk about it in hushed tones as expressing the sovereignty of the people is ridiculous. We have a parliamentary democracy and that is the end of it.

• Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    Why don't the government have a 2 line bill with a 12 month sunset clause which gives it permission to trigger Art 50 ?

Is it really that difficult ?
  • Options
    Clinton Schedule

PA
    MI
    OH
    FL
    PA
    NH
    OH
    PA (Clinton/Obama mega rally)

Two visits to Ohio is interesting.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,080
    edited November 2016
    619 said:

HYUFD said:

619 said:

JackW said:

Florida is done.

Well, it was in Nevada when the Dems had a Clark County lead of 55k at the end of early voting in 2012.

The polls were out in Nevada too in 2012 because they didn't have a large enough Hispanic sample.

Saying that, what the current betting odds for Clinton winning Nevada? If the polls are like that at the facts on the ground say something else, that would be a decent bet.

On Florida, I am reluctant to agree Clinton has definitely won as well. Nevada is much smaller though, so that much of a firewall would be extremely difficult to breach without a great GOTV operation...
    Trump outperformed the polls in Nevada in the primaries and won the Hispanic vote in the state against expectations, he will not beat Hillary with Hispanics but may do better than predicted
  • Options

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

MaxPB said:

No, it wouldn't. General elections elect people to decide policies, referendums decide policies directly.
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

Why don't the government have a 2 line bill with a 12 month sunset clause which gives it permission to trigger Art 50 ?

It seems so obvious unless we're missing something, other than Mrs May is a bit crap, as evidenced by the tack taken by Government lawyers in the case.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,610
    Alistair said:

Clinton Schedule

PA
    MI
    OH
    FL
    PA
    NH
    OH

That's a defensive strategy. Only the three visits to OH and FL are marginally offensive. The hubris of visiting deep crimson states to help down ticket races seems to have gone which is probably a good thing.
  • Options
    PlatoSaidPlatoSaid Posts: 10,383
  • Options

dr_spyn said:

That's Edenbridge.
  • Options

TGOHF said:

It seems so obvious unless we're missing something, other than Mrs May is a bit crap, as evidenced by the tack taken by Government lawyers in the case.
    Or that her predecessor was very crap, did no preparation, then lied about triggering Article 50.....
  • Options
    Alistair said:

Clinton Schedule

PA
    MI
    OH
    FL
    PA
    NH
    OH

According to an article I read, the internal campaign polls for Ohio are slightly better for Clinton than the public ones, and they think there is a real chance that they can get enough people out for early voting to give them a chance. Makes sense!
  • Options

Qualitatively, if the Government had intended the advisory referendum to be considered mandatory, they should have mentioned it in advance

They did, in the "not a campaign leaflet" leaflet.
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633

TGOHF said:

Perhaps they are quite happy for the ire to be directed at the "establishment" for 48 hrs before heading down this path..
This discussion has been closed.