Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » More polling showing that the Tories have nothing to fear from

124»

Comments

• Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    I need to create a bot that when it sees "the will of the people" automatically replies with the fact that it was only 52% that voted Leave.

A far lower percentage voted for the 2005 labour government, I guess you must have been incandescent.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,116
    RobD said:

AnneJGP said:

RobD said:

AnneJGP said:

Charles said:

All the same, if A50 does have to go to a vote in Parliament then it really ought to be shoved through as a confidence issue. The Government can't afford to let Remainers in the Commons force it into revealing its negotiating position to the EU in advance, and nor can it tolerate lengthy delaying tactics in the Lords. The wretched state of the Opposition implies that if Theresa May does find herself having to go the country, then at least she ought to be able to relieve herself of the burden of a tiny majority.

My bold.

I don't see why the Government can't play it with a straight bat.

"The Government doesn't believe it is in the national interest to reveal our negotiation position in public prior to commencing discussions. Parliament will have the opportunity to discuss and vote on the conclusions of our negotiations in due course. For now we are simply asking Parliament to endorse the decision made by the voters in the referendum and authorise us to exercise Article 50 at a time that we see fit within the next 12 months"

Then rinse and repeat the same answer to pretty much every question & dare Labour to vote it down
    Yes. I am very much in favour of playing things straight.

It may well be a long and arduous road even to get to the start of extricating ourselves from the EU, but it is, IMHO, best that everybody plays every card they can think of to stop it.

Even if they succeed, we have still made a huge advance in the matter. Those who wish to leave the EU now know that they account for about half of the electorate.

True, we will never be allowed another referendum, but other ways & means will crop up - other political parties.
    Ah, so the court case was about trying to block Brexit!
    Do you infer that from my comment? How on earth could I possibly know? Maybe I did assume that without realising it, but it hardly matters.

(Incidentally, I just noticed a bit on Yahoo about Ms Sturgeon joining in with the court case, but couldn't catch the link - anyone have it?)
    You said that it is "best that everybody plays every card they can think of to stop it".
    The ace in that pack was surely putting Liam Fox in charge of post-Brexit trade policy.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,115
    edited November 2016
    rpjs said:

nunu said:

619 said:

New Hampshire polls:
    @WBUR
    Trump 40%
    Clinton 39%
    Suffolk / @BostonGlobe
    Trump 42%
    Clinton 42%
    Tight in NH

she should have put this state away by now. Tells me its a lot closer than te headline polls. RCP avreage down to 0.8% now. There will be no Clinton landslide, now.
    New Hampshire is the black sheep of New England, libertarian and the most Republican-leaning of the NE states. I was always a bit suspicious of polls showing Clinton well ahead there. I still think she'll win the state though.
    NH was the only Northeastern state to vote for George W Bush, which it did in 2000. It is actually probably slightly more likely to vote for Trump than Pennsylvania, RCP now has Clinton ahead by just 0.8% on average in NH compared to 3.4% in Pennsylvania. Nationwide the Clinton lead is down to 1.7%
    http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2016/president/nh/new_hampshire_trump_vs_clinton_vs_johnson_vs_stein-6022.html
    http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2016/president/pa/pennsylvania_trump_vs_clinton_vs_johnson_vs_stein-5964.html
    http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2016/president/us/general_election_trump_vs_clinton_vs_johnson_vs_stein-5952.html
  • Options
    JackW said:

A spike in yesterday vote sees AA voters in Florida up to 12%, and rising, of early voting and just below their 13% demographic :

https://twitter.com/steveschale/status/794224225548730368?ref_src=twsrc^tfw

So even on their highest turnout day the AA vote in Florida is still below that in 2012!
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    edited November 2016
    nunu said:

Pulpstar said:

Alistair said:

JackW said:

Let's wander down memory lane to the final week of the 2012 campaign .... This gem from the pollster Suffolk who gave up polling in 3 states because Romney had them very firmly in the bag. Said so loudly and often and then went on Fox News :

“In places like North Carolina, Virginia, and Florida, we’ve already painted those red. We’re not polling any of those states again. We’re focusing on the remaining states.”

David Paleologos, director of the Suffolk University Political Research Center.

Virginia??? Was he high at the time?
    He drove from Blacksburg to Harrisonburg and didn't see a single Obama yard sign :D
    What demographic changes have made Virginia so safe? Hipster city types?
    Washington DC.
  • Options
  • Options

MaxPB said:

Charles said:

All the same, if A50 does have to go to a vote in Parliament then it really ought to be shoved through as a confidence issue. The Government can't afford to let Remainers in the Commons force it into revealing its negotiating position to the EU in advance, and nor can it tolerate lengthy delaying tactics in the Lords. The wretched state of the Opposition implies that if Theresa May does find herself having to go the country, then at least she ought to be able to relieve herself of the burden of a tiny majority.

My bold.

"The Government doesn't believe it is in the national interest to reveal our negotiation position in public prior to commencing discussions. Parliament will have the opportunity to discuss and vote on the conclusions of our negotiations in due course. For now we are simply asking Parliament to endorse the decision made by the voters in the referendum and authorise us to exercise Article 50 at a time that we see fit within the next 12 months"

Then rinse and repeat the same answer to pretty much every question & dare Labour to vote it down
    Yup, a single line enabling act, vote down all amendments and get it through the Commons in one sitting. Dare the Lords to go against the will of the people. If they do then flood it with Tory peers or threaten them with elections.
    I need to create a bot that when it sees "the will of the people" automatically replies with the fact that it was only 52% that voted Leave.
    And we can create a bot to point out that that is how the system works and if you can't be bothered to vote you don't get to complain about the result.
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    Marist have new polls of AZ TX & GA coming out within the hour.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,985
    JackW said:

Such a tease....
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,979
    edited November 2016

Scott_P said:
    Brexiteers don't do logic. That's a discipline for experts
    It is amusing to see Eurofanatics who, for more than 40 years have argued in favour of the subverting of Parliamentary Sovereignty by the EEC/EU, suddenly discovering how vital it is to this country. Utter hypocrites.
    Voluntarily joining a group of like minded countries to work together to common objectives is an exercise of sovereignty not a subversion of it.
    Allowing a supra national body to push laws through Parliament whilst expressly forbidding Parliament from changing or rejecting them is clearly a subverting of its sovereignty. I gather you are one of the hypocrites.
    We'd only be giving up sovereignty if we signed up to a deal whereby the EU could make laws without our participation and we weren't allowed to leave. We joined up voluntarily and we are now leaving without any suggestion that we don't have the right to do so. If someone says to me that by leaving we can have more influence in the world or be more prosperous, I'd disagree but concede that they may be right and I might be wrong. When someone says that they want to leave the EU to regain sovereignty then at best they must be a romantic rather than a realist. But in your case I am not really sure you actually know what it means.
    Quite right! Saying Britain is no longer sovereign because of EU membership is like saying I've been deprived of my civil liberties because my golf club insists on my wearing a collared shirt.
    Ah, one of the more fatuous and stupid comments we have had on here in a very long time. Why am I not surprised it came from you.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,116
    JackW said:

Is your ARSE secretly in gear? You seem to be on top of all the numbers.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

JackW said:

A spike in yesterday vote sees AA voters in Florida up to 12%, and rising, of early voting and just below their 13% demographic :

So even on their highest turnout day the AA vote in Florida is still below that in 2012!
    1 point below with early voting continuing.
  • Options
    JackW said:

HYUFD said:

JackW said:

So still below
  • Options

JackW said:

Not in overdrive but certainly out of first gear.

In 08 and 12 I was able to provide a far more in depth service and analysis. Not so this time .... More a small bottom than a full ARSE.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

JackW said:

HYUFD said:

JackW said:

So still below
    Clearly.
  • Options
    JackW said:

JackW said:

In 08 and 12 I was able to provide a far more in depth service and analysis. Not so this time .... More a small bottom than a full ARSE.
    You've had some liposuction on your ARSE? Sounds painful. :)
  • Options
    FensterFenster Posts: 2,115
    Excuse my stupidity. But what would happen if the govt planned the parliamentary A50 vote for next week?
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,954

MaxPB said:

Charles said:

My bold.

Yup, a single line enabling act, vote down all amendments and get it through the Commons in one sitting. Dare the Lords to go against the will of the people. If they do then flood it with Tory peers or threaten them with elections.
    There is a case to be made that referendums on such significant issues should require more than 50% +1 vote in order to be approved. Indeed, that petition which was started by a Leaver but coopted by remainers after the vote made such a case. But there is no rule right now, so it doesn't really matter if it was 52 or 75.

Must say reading the judgement the government's case did look weak, so it will be interesting to see what the appeal arguments and judgements hinge on.

I did enjoy it stated the fact the point raised was justiciable, for the courts to decide, was not contested by either side in the case. Despite the wishes of the claimants as to what might happen if parliament gets to vote, and despite the government for obvious reasons putting the case that was not necessary, neither side disputed that it was a proper question for the court, despite the more angry getting all huffy about judicial interference. As it said: We are not in any way concerned with the use that may be made of the Crown's prerogative power, if such a power can as a matter of law be used in respect of Article 50, or what will follow if the Crown's prerogative powers cannot be so used.
  • Options
    619619 Posts: 1,784
    JackW said:

HYUFD said:

JackW said:

soul to the polls on Sunday will boost that
  • Options
    AnneJGPAnneJGP Posts: 2,869
    RobD said:

AnneJGP said:

RobD said:

AnneJGP said:

Charles said:

My bold.

Yes. I am very much in favour of playing things straight.

It may well be a long and arduous road even to get to the start of extricating ourselves from the EU, but it is, IMHO, best that everybody plays every card they can think of to stop it.

Even if they succeed, we have still made a huge advance in the matter. Those who wish to leave the EU now know that they account for about half of the electorate.

True, we will never be allowed another referendum, but other ways & means will crop up - other political parties.
    Ah, so the court case was about trying to block Brexit!
    Do you infer that from my comment? How on earth could I possibly know? Maybe I did assume that without realising it, but it hardly matters.

(Incidentally, I just noticed a bit on Yahoo about Ms Sturgeon joining in with the court case, but couldn't catch the link - anyone have it?)
    You said that it is "best that everybody plays every card they can think of to stop it".
    Yes, I think it is best. If the blocking efforts of those who'd prefer to remain fail, they will at least know they did everything they could to stop us leaving. If those efforts succeed, well, those who'd prefer to leave will carry on the struggle.

Edward Heath lied to get us to vote in favour of joining the Common Market. His lies need to be washed out of the body politic. Playing things straight now is the only way to do it.
  • Options
    RobD said:

JackW said:

JackW said:

You've had some liposuction on your ARSE? Sounds painful. :)
    That would suck ....
  • Options
    PClippPClipp Posts: 2,138

MaxPB said:

Charles said:

My bold. I don't see why the Government can't play it with a straight bat.

And we can create a bot to point out that that is how the system works and if you can't be bothered to vote you don't get to complain about the result.
    There wasn`t a real question, Mr Tyndall. Nobody knew exactly what would happen next, whichever side won the referendum. This is the problem now facing the country, and more especially the Tory Party. Mrs May is onto a loser. No wonder she wants to cut and run.
  • Options
    619 said:

JackW said:

HYUFD said:

JackW said:

soul to the polls on Sunday will boost that
    Sssshhh .... don't tell HYUFD ....
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
  • Options
    vikvik Posts: 157
    Four days ago, a writer on fivethirtyeight claimed that "The Cubs Have A Smaller Chance Of Winning Than Trump Does"

http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/the-cubs-have-a-smaller-chance-of-winning-than-trump-does/

Today: "World Series: Chicago Cubs beat Cleveland Indians 8-7 in Game Seven to clinch comeback title win"

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-11-03/the-curse-ends-as-cubs-win-first-world-series-in-108-years/7992904

LOL !!
  • Options
    Charles said:

My bold.

Yes, I agree. Cutting and pasting from a Facebook comment I made (I do try to keep politics off there...)

I agree with the court's logic. But you can't negotiate via a parliamentary process, so I imagine the government will be seeking as broad (and therefore short) an Act as possible.

The challenge will come with the amendments - with both Houses having strong pro-Remain majorities there will be attempts to circumscribe our position which will, intentionally or otherwise, serve to frustrate the Government's ability to enact the referendum result, and the spirit of that result.

So these are potentially very dangerous times for Parliament and indeed specific MPs (and the Lords more generally). The result itself was partly a rejection of Parliament's authority and composition and it needs to be very careful not to exacerbate that.

A 2017 election is looking increasingly necessary, and from a betting perspective it should be odds-on.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,137
    Fenster said:

Excuse my stupidity. But what would happen if the govt planned the parliamentary A50 vote for next week?

Wednesday - when everyone is bleary eyed from the US election perhaps?
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,137
    taffys said:

A far lower percentage voted for the 2005 labour government, I guess you must have been incandescent.

He never quite got round to creating that bot....
  • Options
    AndyJS said:
    Choo choo!!
  • Options
    And so the Blairite/Cameroon/Cleggite fightback begins https://twitter.com/campbellclaret/status/794271241284763648
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,903

MaxPB said:

Charles said:

My bold.

Like De Valera, you only have to look into your heart to discern the will of the people. You'll be telling us that the Referendum result was actually a vote for more Europe.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

twitter.com/FrankLuntz/status/794272711300284416

The Trump Train does have the Big Mo.
  • Options
    PClipp said:

MaxPB said:

Charles said:

There wasn`t a real question, Mr Tyndall. Nobody knew exactly what would happen next, whichever side won the referendum. This is the problem now facing the country, and more especially the Tory Party. Mrs May is onto a loser. No wonder she wants to cut and run.
    And yet more people voted for Brexit than have voted for the winning party in any General Election in British history.
  • Options
    PlatoSaidPlatoSaid Posts: 10,383
    vik said:

Four days ago, a writer on fivethirtyeight claimed that "The Cubs Have A Smaller Chance Of Winning Than Trump Does"

http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/the-cubs-have-a-smaller-chance-of-winning-than-trump-does/

Today: "World Series: Chicago Cubs beat Cleveland Indians 8-7 in Game Seven to clinch comeback title win"

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-11-03/the-curse-ends-as-cubs-win-first-world-series-in-108-years/7992904

LOL !!

Been laughing at that all day :smiley:
  • Options
    RobD said:

AndyJS said:
    Choo choo!!
    PEC on the other hand have Hilary at 98% on the conservative model.

99% on the other one.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

RobD said:

AndyJS said:
    Choo choo!!

99% on the other one.
    That just does not pass the smell test at all; clearly a half-arsed model for the sake of having one.
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    edited November 2016

PClipp said:

MaxPB said:

Charles said:

And yet more people voted for Brexit than have voted for the winning party in any General Election in British history.
    And that was after being presented with a range of doomsday scenarios that included world war three among others (including no single market access).

The notion that is being peddled that people were not aware of the potential consequences is one of the most preposterous aspects of the post-vote whinge.

• Options
    Alistair said:

RobD said:

AndyJS said:
    Choo choo!!

99% on the other one.
    Do you honestly think Clinton has a 99% chance of winning it?
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024
    RobD said:

JackW said:

Such a tease....
    Should all be Trump leads.Arizona within margin of error, the rest big Trump leads, I think
  • Options
    nunu said:

RobD said:

JackW said:

Such a tease....
    Should all be Trump leads.Arizona within margin of error, the rest big Trump leads, I think
    Wouldn't be so sure of that. For some reason 538 changed a Marist tie to Trump +5 in NV.
  • Options

Alistair said:

RobD said:

AndyJS said:
    Choo choo!!

99% on the other one.
    That just does not pass the smell test at all; clearly a half-arsed model for the sake of having one.
    Has been predicting us elections for longer and more accurately than 538.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Alistair said:

RobD said:

AndyJS said:
    Choo choo!!

99% on the other one.
    Do you honestly think Clinton has a 99% chance of winning it?
    Well, I'm long Clinton and red everything else...
  • Options
    Alistair said:

Alistair said:

RobD said:

AndyJS said:
    Choo choo!!

99% on the other one.
    And it will probably be right again. But this election is clearly unusual, and the 99% figure does not look well-calibrated.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

Alistair said:

RobD said:

AndyJS said:
    Choo choo!!

99% on the other one.
    That in no way tells you how accurate the 99% figure is since we can't run multiple instances of our universe in parallel to test it.
  • Options
  • Options
    RobD said:
    I don't think Trump will be retweeting this round of Auto Alliance polls.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

RobD said:
    I don't think Trump will be retweeting this round of Auto Alliance polls.
    Yep, not great for him!
  • Options
    weejonnieweejonnie Posts: 3,820
    PlatoSaid said:

vik said:

LOL !!

Been laughing at that all day :smiley:
    It's the ghost of Terry Pradgett - million to one shots come off 99 times out of a 100.
  • Options

Alistair said:

Alistair said:

RobD said:

AndyJS said:
    Choo choo!!

99% on the other one.
    And it will probably be right again. But this election is clearly unusual, and the 99% figure does not look well-calibrated.
    It completely ignores momentum when making it's projection.
  • Options
    new thread!
  • Options
    RobD said:

new thread!

How long has it been there! :o
  • Options
    Alistair said:

Alistair said:

Alistair said:

RobD said:

AndyJS said:
    Choo choo!!

99% on the other one.
    Which is fine. So does 538, I believe. But it must be ignoring the chance of the polls being systematically off, as they have been before.
  • Options
    Andy_CookeAndy_Cooke Posts: 4,818

Funny given that we were taken into the EEC without any recourse to Parliament. Like I said. Europhile hypocrites.

That said I think it is right that Parliament make the decision even if I think that might mean we do not leave. But then I am not a hypocrite like the Remoaners.
    But - Parliament did vote in 1972.
    Heath made it a free vote (in order to make it easier for Labour In MPs to vote In, reportedly)
  • Options

Funny given that we were taken into the EEC without any recourse to Parliament. Like I said. Europhile hypocrites.

That said I think it is right that Parliament make the decision even if I think that might mean we do not leave. But then I am not a hypocrite like the Remoaners.
    Heath made it a free vote (in order to make it easier for Labour In MPs to vote In, reportedly)
    Only after he had actually signed the treaty. Much like Article 50.
  • Options

Alistair said:

Alistair said:

Alistair said:

RobD said:

AndyJS said:
    Choo choo!!

99% on the other one.
    Which is fine. So does 538, I believe. But it must be ignoring the chance of the polls being systematically off, as they have been before.
    As far as I was aware 538 had a momentum component.
  • Options

Only after he had actually signed the treaty. Much like Article 50.
    They'd already voted to endorse signing in October 1971.
  • Options
    RecidivistRecidivist Posts: 4,679

PClipp said:

MaxPB said:

Charles said:

And more people voted against Brexit than for any winning party. Though both fell short of the viewing figures for the episode of Eastenders when Den told Angie he wanted a divorce.
  • Options

PClipp said:

MaxPB said:

Charles said:

And more people voted against Brexit than for any winning party. Though both fell short of the viewing figures for the episode of Eastenders when Den told Angie he wanted a divorce.
    More people voted against REMAIN than voted against LEAVE!
  • Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905
    https://twitter.com/gsoh31/status/794306054570070021

Insanity.

On the part of the newspaper, needless to say, not the judges.
  • Options

https://twitter.com/gsoh31/status/794306054570070021

Insanity.

On the part of the newspaper, needless to say, not the judges.

And that first para is 100% wrong. It's not embittered Remainers thwarting the will of the British people, it's having Parliament not the government vote on the terms of Brexit. We're still leaving you tw*ts. Even for the Daily Mail, this is pretty vile propaganda. In many countries of the world, the headline with identifiable pictures is sinister and incendiary.
  • Options
    RecidivistRecidivist Posts: 4,679

PClipp said:

MaxPB said:

Charles said:

More people voted against REMAIN than voted against LEAVE!
    Thanks for reminding me. I know it was in the papers and everything, but it is easy to let these things slip out of your mind.
This discussion has been closed.