Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Dramatic developments in the White House Race as FBI announces

13»

Comments

• Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    rcs1000 said:

john_zims said:

@IanB

'Soft Brexit is a no-brainer. Britain has to trade openly with Europe and Europe with Britain.'

By Soft Brexit do you mean EU Lite, staying in the single market with no control of our borders, subject to Brussels laws & European court ?

What do you mean "no control of our borders"?

There is very little correlation between "control of borders" and control of illegal immigration. Switzerland voted in a referendum to join Schengen, and has next to no illegal immigration. The US has a huge border patrol operation, fences, interviews for people arriving, etc., and has tens of millions of illegal immigrants.
    Though Switzerland does have amongst the highest percentage of immigrants in the developed world.
  • Options
    weejonnieweejonnie Posts: 3,820

weejonnie said:

tyson said:

weejonnie said:

tyson said:

Alistair said:

nunu said:

I see pb.com is overreacting again. Any other GOP candidate would be able to capitalise on this story, but trump will mess even this up.

Video of Clinton comatose being dragged into a van. Dynamite - should have won Trump the election .

News that Clinton has emails. Damp squid. So far.
    Squid?
    I think we're over the squid....thanks to Pulps I'm going to have to desist in the future, even though Fox tried to equivocate squid to a vegetable. I've wiki'd it....you can't.

But, on other pressing matters...I've given up rice crispies completely, but what about wheetabix? I find myself tucking into one and a half most nights.
    Can I suggest Oatibix? Much better for you.
    I eat them to control chloresterol (LdL) - also high EPA EFAs for HdL (which doubled my level in about 5 months)
    Where do you get it?

Oatibix is a generally available breakfast cereal - I buy mine at M******ns as the nearest convenient store. (The EFAs aren't in Oatibix - but didn't want to brand them)

They were out of bix a couple of weeks ago and I had to buy flakes. I blame it on Brexit.
    Why is the name censored? Seems odd to have one brand name and not the retailers one.
    Well I didn't want to mention Morrisons - Oatibix were mentioned before my comment.
  • Options
    tysontyson Posts: 6,050
    edited October 2016

tyson said:

weejonnie said:

tyson said:

weejonnie said:

tyson said:

Alistair said:

nunu said:

I see pb.com is overreacting again. Any other GOP candidate would be able to capitalise on this story, but trump will mess even this up.

Video of Clinton comatose being dragged into a van. Dynamite - should have won Trump the election .

Squid?
    I think we're over the squid....thanks to Pulps I'm going to have to desist in the future, even though Fox tried to equivocate squid to a vegetable. I've wiki'd it....you can't.

But, on other pressing matters...I've given up rice crispies completely, but what about wheetabix? I find myself tucking into one and a half most nights.
    I eat them to control chloresterol (LdL) - also high EPA EFAs for HdL (which doubled my level in about 5 months)
    Where do you get it?

Oatibix is a generally available breakfast cereal - I buy mine at M******ns as the nearest convenient store. (The EFAs aren't in Oatibix - but didn't want to brand them)

They were out of bix a couple of weeks ago and I had to buy flakes. I blame it on Brexit.
    Thanks for the advice. Oatabix........I don't have cholesterol issues....but for the future. The HDL scores sound fantastic.
    They are OK, but don't have the texture and crunch of Wheetabix.

I do love my wheetabix.....I've just yomped one and a half with a dollop of honey....they are so nice.....I might just go and finish that half
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,068

rcs1000 said:

john_zims said:

@IanB

'Soft Brexit is a no-brainer. Britain has to trade openly with Europe and Europe with Britain.'

By Soft Brexit do you mean EU Lite, staying in the single market with no control of our borders, subject to Brussels laws & European court ?

There is very little correlation between "control of borders" and control of illegal immigration. Switzerland voted in a referendum to join Schengen, and has next to no illegal immigration. The US has a huge border patrol operation, fences, interviews for people arriving, etc., and has tens of millions of illegal immigrants.
    Though Switzerland does have amongst the highest percentage of immigrants in the developed world.
    Yes, but they are *legal* immigrants.

My point is a simple one. Romanian beggars could get to Zurich - where incomes are almost twice that of London - with much less effort than it takes to get to London.

Yet they do not.

The obsession with 'borders' is a dumb one. More than 90% of illegal Mexican or Guatemalan immigrants to the US do not trek across the Rio Grande at night; they come in on a tourist visa and stay. The same will be true of the UK post Brexit.

We will inconvenience hundreds of thousands of legitimate travellers to achieve one tenth of what could be achieved by following the examples of the Swiss. (Or, for that matter, the Germans.)
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,167
    rcs1000 said:

john_zims said:

@IanB

Though Switzerland recently voted by referendum for border control
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

john_zims said:

@IanB

That's not true.

Switzerland voted on a requirement for work permits to be limited in number. Support for remaining in Schengen remains strong.
  • Options
    edited October 2016

rcs1000 said:

john_zims said:

@IanB

I often wonder why we should always aspire to Switzerland....it is really tediously boring, the service stations are rubbish, it is soooooo expensive, the coffee is crap, and no buggar let's you through when you drive in the cities.....they are worse than the Italians, and that is saying alot...and tell me a decent Swiss beer or wine.....thought so...
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

john_zims said:

@IanB

My point is a simple one. Romanian beggars could get to Zurich - where incomes are almost twice that of London - with much less effort than it takes to get to London.

Yet they do not.

The obsession with 'borders' is a dumb one. More than 90% of illegal Mexican or Guatemalan immigrants to the US do not trek across the Rio Grande at night; they come in on a tourist visa and stay. The same will be true of the UK post Brexit.

We will inconvenience hundreds of thousands of legitimate travellers to achieve one tenth of what could be achieved by following the examples of the Swiss. (Or, for that matter, the Germans.)
    I agree. The easiest thing in the world is overstaying. I did it myself in NZ.

• Options
    tyson said:

rcs1000 said:

john_zims said:

@IanB

I often wonder why we should always aspire to Switzerland....it is really tediously boring, the service stations are rubbish, it is soooooo expensive, the coffee is crap, and no buggar let's you through when you drive in the cities.....they are worse than the Italians, and that is saying alot...and tell me a decent Swiss beer or wine.....thought so...
    That would explain all the Swiss people queuing at the British embassy so they can escape the nightmare of Verbier and head for the UK.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

For anyone planning to replace any kitchen appliances, the price of those imported from Germany (Bosch, Neff, Siemens etc.) will be going up by about 15% from mid-November.

Don't buy them then
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

john_zims said:

@IanB

That's not true.

Switzerland voted on a requirement for work permits to be limited in number. Support for remaining in Schengen remains strong.
    That is so they get the poor saps paying for their road pass, their very expensive service stations. You have France on one side....Italy on the other. Pray tell me what is stopping you getting through (like me) from one side to the other as fast as you possibly can. And Swiss FM Radio is shit, really shit. The Cities are a nightmare to drive through because they are all full of bloody selfish Swiss drivers who do not even consider letting you through...I literally have to barge my way through. The Police are terrible.
  • Options
    pinkrosepinkrose Posts: 189
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

john_zims said:

@IanB

Yet they do not.

Not really.
    EU workers will need a work permit to be able to work legally in the UK. This will significantly reduce the number of low skilled, low waged Eastern European workers coming here. According to migration watch, 80% of those who have arrived from the EU in the last 12 years would not have been eligible if EU migrants were subject to the same visa conditions as non-EU migrants.
  • Options
    john_zimsjohn_zims Posts: 3,399
    @rcs1000

'What do you mean "no control of our borders"?'

The UK government decides who comes into the country not the EU.

• Options
    rcs1000 said:

tyson said:

rcs1000 said:

john_zims said:

@IanB

That would explain all the Swiss people queuing at the British embassy so they can escape the nightmare of Verbier and head for the UK.
    http://youtu.be/nyuJQ_UO7OE
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

john_zims said:

@IanB

That's not true.

So they voted to control free movement of workers
  • Options
    tyson said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

john_zims said:

@IanB

That's not true.

That is so they get the poor saps paying for their road pass, their very expensive service stations. You have France on one side....Italy on the other. Pray tell me what is stopping you getting through (like me) from one side to the other as fast as you possibly can. And Swiss FM Radio is shit, really shit. The Cities are a nightmare to drive through because they are all full of bloody selfish Swiss drivers who do not even consider letting you through...I literally have to barge my way through. The Police are terrible.
    You know, though, the Swiss motorway pass is a classic example of how shit we are compared to other countries.

Do you remember a few years ago, there was a big fuss about European drivers doing deliveries from London to Birmingham for their foreign owned firms, in their foreign registered lorries, which - of course - were not subject to road tax.

We could have solved the problem, and brought in some valuable foreign revenue, by implementing the Swiss system. Instead we complained.

I do hope Brexit engenders a new attitude, rather that just leading us to complain more.
  • Options
    Tim_BTim_B Posts: 7,669
    nunu said:

Tim_B said:

Pulpstar said:

Tim_B said:

glw said:

Lots of people tying to birther a story that has no proof of having any legs whatsoever..

That is a silly comment when it is the FBI that is giving it legs. They would likely prefer to stay right out of it.
    Interestingly the White House, Democratic Party and Clinton Campaign were all taken by surprise at the FBI announcement. Quite a change
    How was the voting looking in GA ?
    600k people have already voted in person, and at my polling station 6k people had voted by noon, when I got there.
    She has to win your county big to have a chance in GA right. What do u think can she pull it off assuming this story today doesn't have legs.
    Stop assuming - this story has legs, potentially explosive.
  • Options
    john_zims said:

@rcs1000

But unless you're planning on requiring a visa for EU citizens to enter the UK (which would be stupid) then there is no effective control on who enters our country.
  • Options

Tim_B said:

glw said:

Lots of people tying to birther a story that has no proof of having any legs whatsoever..

That is a silly comment when it is the FBI that is giving it legs. They would likely prefer to stay right out of it.
    Interestingly the White House, Democratic Party, State Department and Clinton Campaign were all taken by surprise at the FBI announcement. Quite a change
    Didn’t the state department put pressure on the FBI to close the E-Mail investigation down?

If so, it would appear the FBI are now off the Clinton leash. - Could be awkward
    Yes - the whole setup - White House interference, so many immunities granted, deals not to investigate before 1/1/15, no grand jury, no subpoenas - yes, the fix was in, and Comey's reputation has been very badly damaged by the last investigation.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

john_zims said:

@rcs1000

But unless you're planning on requiring a visa for EU citizens to enter the UK (which would be stupid) then there is no effective control on who enters our country.
    You still have passport control and immigration at the airport.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

john_zims said:

@IanB

That's not true.

They not vote for border controls. They did vote to limit low skilled workers access to the job market.

People conflate "control of the borders" with "low skilled immigration". The two issues are completely separate. Anyone in the Schengen zone, whether from Iceland, or Norway, or Poland, or Estonia, or France, can travel to Switzerland without being tracked. Nobody will check their passport or event count their crossing. Yet, Switzerland has essentially no illegal immigration. That is my point.
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024
    Tim_B said:

nunu said:

Tim_B said:

Pulpstar said:

Tim_B said:

glw said:

Interestingly the White House, Democratic Party and Clinton Campaign were all taken by surprise at the FBI announcement. Quite a change
    600k people have already voted in person, and at my polling station 6k people had voted by noon, when I got there.
    She has to win your county big to have a chance in GA right. What do u think can she pull it off assuming this story today doesn't have legs.
    That's what I'm asking. But OK.
  • Options
    Tim_B said:

rcs1000 said:

john_zims said:

@rcs1000

Not from a Schengen country, you don't. You walk straight off the plane, pick up your luggage, and walk out the airport.

There are no checks.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

tyson said:

rcs1000 said:

john_zims said:

@IanB

Arghhhhh....Swiss skiing resorts are ludicrously expensive unlesss you pay UK Michelin starred prices for fried crap. The food is terrible. There is nothing vegetarian except crappy imitation pasta or pizza stuff. The wine.....please...you struggle to get a bottle under 25 Euros. The coffee is appalling. The Cities have terrible traffic problems in peak times...Zurich, Basle the worst I have encountered in Europe.

Switzerland has snob value...that's it. The ski resorts are too low with global warming so you may as well ski on artificial snow.

Going to Switzerland is as useless a trip for Europe as a visit to Port Cervo is to Sardinia. Both are gauche, expensive and better left alone.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

john_zims said:

@IanB

That's not true.

They not vote for border controls. They did vote to limit low skilled workers access to the job market.

People conflate "control of the borders" with "low skilled immigration". The two issues are completely separate. Anyone in the Schengen zone, whether from Iceland, or Norway, or Poland, or Estonia, or France, can travel to Switzerland without being tracked. Nobody will check their passport or event count their crossing. Yet, Switzerland has essentially no illegal immigration. That is my point.
    Limiting low skilled workers access to the job market is effectively 'border control', it puts a break on free movement. The EU referendum was a vote for 'border control' in the sense of control of Eastern European workers coming to the UK
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

tyson said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

john_zims said:

@IanB

That's not true.

You know, though, the Swiss motorway pass is a classic example of how shit we are compared to other countries.

Do you remember a few years ago, there was a big fuss about European drivers doing deliveries from London to Birmingham for their foreign owned firms, in their foreign registered lorries, which - of course - were not subject to road tax.

We could have solved the problem, and brought in some valuable foreign revenue, by implementing the Swiss system. Instead we complained.

I do hope Brexit engenders a new attitude, rather that just leading us to complain more.

I agree with you on that point....how we do not manage to get a simple system to charge foreign vehicles is beyond me. The amount I put into foreign exchequers driving around Europe.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

john_zims said:

@IanB

That's not true.

Limiting low skilled workers access to the job market is effectively 'border control', it puts a break on free movement. The EU referendum was a vote for 'border control' in the sense of control of Eastern European workers coming to the UK
    If you want, you can redefine "border controls" to whatever you like, I won't object.
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    tyson said:

rcs1000 said:

tyson said:

rcs1000 said:

john_zims said:

@IanB

Arghhhhh....Swiss skiing resorts are ludicrously expensive unlesss you pay UK Michelin starred prices for fried crap. The food is terrible. There is nothing vegetarian except crappy imitation pasta or pizza stuff. The wine.....please...you struggle to get a bottle under 25 Euros. The coffee is appalling. The Cities have terrible traffic problems in peak times...Zurich, Basle the worst I have encountered in Europe.

Switzerland has snob value...that's it. The ski resorts are too low with global warming so you may as well ski on artificial snow.

Going to Switzerland is as useless a trip for Europe as a visit to Port Cervo is to Sardinia. Both are gauche, expensive and better left alone.
    Switzerland has the second highest gdp per capita on the planet, beautiful Alpine scenery and lakes and Geneva and Zurich have been picked as the 2 most livable cities in the world according to the Global Livable Cities Index. There are certainly worse places to be
    https://www.thrillist.com/travel/nation/most-livable-cities-in-the-world-geneva-and-zurich-top-global-livable-cities-index-list
  • Options
    pinkrosepinkrose Posts: 189
    rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

john_zims said:

@IanB

That's not true.

How do you know Switzerland has no illegal immigration?
  • Options
    peter_from_putneypeter_from_putney Posts: 6,875
    edited October 2016
    The POTUS betting markets seem to be calming down now - it will be interesting to see how the ECV spread looks for Hillary tomorrow morning when, presumably, Sporting and Spreadex re-open. I'll be surprised if she's down more than 5 or 6 votes at a mid-spread of circa 322-323 ECVs, equivalent to her losing a very small state.
  • Options
    welshowlwelshowl Posts: 4,460
    tyson said:

tyson said:

weejonnie said:

tyson said:

weejonnie said:

tyson said:

Alistair said:

nunu said:

Squid?

Where do you get it?

Thanks for the advice. Oatabix........I don't have cholesterol issues....but for the future. The HDL scores sound fantastic.
    They are OK, but don't have the texture and crunch of Wheetabix.

I do love my wheetabix.....I've just yomped one and a half with a dollop of honey....they are so nice.....I might just go and finish that half
    Off the Pringles? ;-)
  • Options
    weejonnie said:

weejonnie said:

tyson said:

weejonnie said:

tyson said:

Alistair said:

nunu said:

Squid?

Where do you get it?

Why is the name censored? Seems odd to have one brand name and not the retailers one.
    Well I didn't want to mention Morrisons - Oatibix were mentioned before my comment.
    Very odd behaviour though as everyone clearly could figure out who M******ns was so it didn't really hide it, just in fact made it stand out more.

Like people referring to "The S*n" newspaper as they won't use its name as a form of protest. Can't think what Morrisons have done to deserve both your ire and your custom though ;)
  • Options
    Apparently when the FBI announcement was made the Clinton folks were airborne on a plane with no wifi, landing 2 hours later.

I wonder just how crazy it got before landing......
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

john_zims said:

@IanB

That's not true.

If you want, you can redefine "border controls" to whatever you like, I won't object.
    If there really was no border control imposed by a country then you could not only travel to visit that nation whenever you wanted but also go to that country to work and live there whenever you wanted, I will grant you it was not a vote against the former but it was a vote against the latter
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,392
    edited October 2016
    Tim_B said:

nunu said:

Tim_B said:

Pulpstar said:

Tim_B said:

glw said:

I remember when you used to say that the FBI was immensely thorough and could not be stopped and that they would get their woman. They must have been so pissed at the way they and their investigation were derailed. This smacks of revenge. And who is to say they are wrong?
  • Options
    weejonnieweejonnie Posts: 3,820
    Tim_B said:

Apparently when the FBI announcement was made the Clinton folks were airborne on a plane with no wifi, landing 2 hours later.

I gather they are still inside working out how to spin this.....
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Tim_B said:

rcs1000 said:

john_zims said:

@rcs1000

Not from a Schengen country, you don't. You walk straight off the plane, pick up your luggage, and walk out the airport.

There are no checks.
    Only if we join Schengen surely? Currently there is passport control even for Schengen nations, there was last time I took a ferry from France at least.
  • Options
    tyson said:

rcs1000 said:

tyson said:

rcs1000 said:

john_zims said:

@IanB

I went to Lugarno a couple of years back. Italian food with German timekeeping. Pleasant enough, but no edge.
  • Options

Switzerland has the second highest gdp per capita on the planet, beautiful Alpine scenery and lakes and Geneva and Zurich have been picked as the 2 most livable cities in the world according to the Global Livable Cities Index. There are certainly worse places to be
    https://www.thrillist.com/travel/nation/most-livable-cities-in-the-world-geneva-and-zurich-top-global-livable-cities-index-list

I'm not saying to live...for a holiday. Who goes to Switzerland for a holiday? Oh yes, Theresa May........

If you want to go to somewhere nice and safe and rich to live go to Tunbridge Wells or Sevenoaks. You could slum it in Guilford I guess. But...would you choose these places for your holidays? Seriously...would you go to Tunbrige Wells for a 2 week holiday. Think Switzerland is more expensive and worse food.

OK- you have the Alps and some pretty lakes...but you have these in France and Italy....massively cheaper, more exciting, better food, cheaper wine....and the Italian Alps, the Val de Sol in Italy is south facing. Where would you go to on your holidays?
  • Options
    MarkSeniorMarkSenior Posts: 4,699
    HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

john_zims said:

@IanB

That's not true.

How do you define low skilled . Is a fruit picker from Lithuania who can pick fruit 3 times as fast as a typical UK fruit picker skilled or unskilled ?
  • Options

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

john_zims said:

@IanB

That's not true.

How do you define low skilled . Is a fruit picker from Lithuania who can pick fruit 3 times as fast as a typical UK fruit picker skilled or unskilled ?
    I would say skilled which is why visas for those jobs predated free movement, what would you say?
  • Options

Off the Pringles? ;-)

@WelshOwls

Well remembered comrade. I'm Pringled off for the foreseeable.......I think I might have overdone them.
  • Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693
    edited October 2016
    @secupp

Poor Bob. Probably thought he had the scoop of the day! http://nyp.st/2fobYDY
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,144

BBC in panic mode over Clinton's e mails and trying like mad to play it all down

Very unlikely the BBC is in panic mode about anything (except Cliff Richard) and roightly so).. Lots of people tying to birther a story that has no proof of having any legs whatsoever..

Unforgivable really when it might move markets.
    Newsnight leading with Hillary/FBI.....
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,002

The POTUS betting markets seem to be calming down now - it will be interesting to see how the ECV spread looks for Hillary tomorrow morning when, presumably, Sporting and Spreadex re-open. I'll be surprised if she's down more than 5 or 6 votes at a mid-spread of circa 322-323 ECVs, equivalent to her losing a very small state.

I think we should await @619 pronouncement of how this is great news for Hillary :D
  • Options
    welshowlwelshowl Posts: 4,460
    tyson said:

Off the Pringles? ;-)

@WelshOwls

Well remembered comrade. I'm Pringled off for the foreseeable.......I think I might have overdone them.

I've had a bit of a hula hoop out this week if I'm honest. Sometimes you just get the munchies :-)
  • Options

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

john_zims said:

@IanB

That's not true.

There are individuals with freakish capabilities, but for such tasks a nationality 3 times faster than another group would tend to indicate that the slower group were too lazy or medically unfit.
  • Options

I went to Lugarno a couple of years back. Italian food with German timekeeping. Pleasant enough, but no edge.

@Fox
    Is Lugarno in Italy?
    I don't want to be an Italian tourist magazine....but for a holiday why would you even consider anywhere else? The food, the climate, scenery, the people...they love the English, the history..mountains and sea, the little cake shops, the coffee, the quality of the service you get, the fact that you don't have to think of tipping all and sundry, driving around...going to a Series A match, the museums, the wine....just asks for a quarter litre with a lunch, the weather, the wildlife.

The bread is a bit hit and miss.....but

I mean who in their right mind would want to go to Switzerland right?
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Tim_B said:

nunu said:

Tim_B said:

Pulpstar said:

Tim_B said:

glw said:

I remember when you used to say that the FBI was immensely thorough and could not be stopped and that they would get their woman. They must have been so pissed at the way they and their investigation were derailed. This smacks of revenge. And who is to say they are wrong?
    There does seem to be a whiff of Comey trying to reclaim his reputation, and it's no secret that internally the FBI is seething at what happened and the restraints put on the investigation. Announcing the reopening of an FBI investigation is unusual. Ostensibly the letter is to Congress with Comey altering his testimony. Only time will tell on this one.

The latest is that 4 devices were seized - one belonging to Weiner, one to Abedin, and 2 others.

Regarding timing, the FBI is damned either way. Comey was briefed yesterday. Announcing today looks like interference in the election, and delaying 2 weeks doesn't look any better. This is Comey trying to do the 'right thing'.

On the funny side, lots of commentator smiling at including the words 'probe' and 'Weiner' in the same sentence.
  • Options
    welshowl said:

tyson said:

Off the Pringles? ;-)

@WelshOwls

I've had a bit of a hula hoop out this week if I'm honest. Sometimes you just get the munchies :-)

Those barbecue beef hula hoops....when I was kid I used to put ten on all my fingers and then lick off all the flavour, before eating them slowly......that was a treat.
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    tyson said:

I'm not saying to live...for a holiday. Who goes to Switzerland for a holiday? Oh yes, Theresa May........

If you want to go to somewhere nice and safe and rich to live go to Tunbridge Wells or Sevenoaks. You could slum it in Guilford I guess. But...would you choose these places for your holidays? Seriously...would you go to Tunbrige Wells for a 2 week holiday. Think Switzerland is more expensive and worse food.

OK- you have the Alps and some pretty lakes...but you have these in France and Italy....massively cheaper, more exciting, better food, cheaper wine....and the Italian Alps, the Val de Sol in Italy is south facing. Where would you go to on your holidays?

Plenty of Alpine scenery and fresh air in Switzerland, Switzerland is ideal for walkers. Salzburg is a beautiful, historic city. It is also generally cooler in the height of summer than France and Italy. Of course it is never going to surpass them in terms of tourists but that does not mean it does not have its attractions for visitors. As for Tunbridge Wells I was born and raised there so know it backwards and would not go their for a holiday though it is a pleasant enough spa town for a weekend break.

• Options

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

john_zims said:

@IanB

That's not true.

Generally a low skilled job is one requiring few qualifications or prior training
  • Options
    weejonnie said:

Tim_B said:

From the Democrat guy on Newsnight - it's all about Russian hackers helping Trump.

That said, Luntz doesn't think it will change very much.
  • Options
    tyson said:

@Fox
    Is Lugarno in Italy?
    I don't want to be an Italian tourist magazine....but for a holiday why would you even consider anywhere else? The food, the climate, scenery, the people...they love the English, the history..mountains and sea, the little cake shops, the coffee, the quality of the service you get, the fact that you don't have to think of tipping all and sundry, driving around...going to a Series A match, the museums, the wine....just asks for a quarter litre with a lunch, the weather, the wildlife.

The bread is a bit hit and miss.....but

I mean who in their right mind would want to go to Switzerland right?

It was for a research meeting. Locarno (not lugarno- my bad).

But I agree, no finer place in the world than Italy.

• Options

weejonnie said:

Tim_B said:

From the Democrat guy on Newsnight - it's all about Russian hackers helping Trump.

Luntz said it was significant though otherwise the FBI would not have done it
  • Options
    edited October 2016

weejonnie said:

Tim_B said:

That's the standard Democratic response to any of the Wikileaks stuff - it's been hacked by the Russians and we're not going to talk about what the Russians want us to talk about, because they want Trump to win and we're not going to help them. They then refuse to discuss them further.

Unfortunately it's not working. Nobody in the Dem party or the Clinton campaign has denied the accuracy or content of any wikileaks email - and you know they would leap on the merest chance of doing so.
  • Options
    MarkSeniorMarkSenior Posts: 4,699

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

john_zims said:

@IanB

That's not true.

There are individuals with freakish capabilities, but for such tasks a nationality 3 times faster than another group would tend to indicate that the slower group were too lazy or medically unfit.
    How do you know when someone applies for a visa for fruit picking how fast they are ? When I was 16 I had a part time job Sat nights and Sunday mornings checking football coupons . I had an aptitude for it and could check them 5 times as fast as most people . As the pay was piece work a shilling a 100 I was in clover but received some resentment from other slower checkers .
  • Options
    @HYUFD

I cannot think of Tunbridge Wells without thinking of the Importance of Being Ernest..."In a handbag!!!...". It's a beautiful town...white Georgian, substantial, elegant and majestic. There are worse places to live.

And granted, the Swiss Apps are probably fresher in the summer..the Italian Alps are south facing and get full sun during the warmest hours...but much better for the Winter. I hate the Alps without sun. Horrible, menacing and depressing.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

john_zims said:

@IanB

That's not true.

How do you know when someone applies for a visa for fruit picking how fast they are ? When I was 16 I had a part time job Sat nights and Sunday mornings checking football coupons . I had an aptitude for it and could check them 5 times as fast as most people . As the pay was piece work a shilling a 100 I was in clover but received some resentment from other slower checkers .
    You should have taken in the underwear of the girl you had just slept with - score drawers :smile:
  • Options
    tyson said:

@HYUFD

I cannot think of Tunbridge Wells without thinking of the Importance of Being Ernest..."In a handbag!!!...". It's a beautiful town...white Georgian, substantial, elegant and majestic. There are worse places to live.

And granted, the Swiss Apps are probably fresher in the summer..the Italian Alps are south facing and get full sun during the warmest hours...but much better for the Winter. I hate the Alps without sun. Horrible, menacing and depressing.

You are probably right that they are reasonable places to live but without the excitement, or indeed the heat, you want on a holiday
  • Options
    Latest - initially the investigation was of the Weiner sexting case, but has now moved to the 'thousands of emails' sent to / from Huma Abedin. The FBI Hillary emails scandal investigation is back front and center.
  • Options
    @Foxinuk

No finer place for a holiday than Italy.... we agree on that. The Italians live for and love tourists, especially English. It is almost impossible to find a bad place to eat or drink...you have to try hard. And then you have the sheer beauty of that county....Italy is jaw droppingly beautiful in a way that is beyond comprehension.

But for living, for home....the UK hands down.... It's not too hot, or too cold. It's convenient. The health system works (sort of for the time being), the pubs, BBC, the convenience of the shops, the people (although they voted Brexit...we can forgive them), the roads...Brits are the best drivers, the coppers, the papers, the TV, the BEEB...and we are getting better at food sort of....and for me it is home.........
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

weejonnie said:

Tim_B said:

Luntz said it was significant though otherwise the FBI would not have done it
    Luntz did also say there was fear in the voice of the Democrat guy - which I think was a fair point. He was just a little bit too shrill whilst wearing a forced smile.

Just reinforces the point I made at the start of today, that both of these candidates should be dead in the water. Both are still floating because they can take turns standing on the shoulders of their opponent. Maybe Hillary is starting to slip under as a result of the FBI. I think it probably makes it much more difficult to win "awkward" Republican seats like Arizona, Georgia, Texas. Her team should forget those. Pull back to the "likely" and she can still win.

Unless she gets slaughtered by the media over the weekend. Be interesting to watch who stays loyal.
This discussion has been closed.