Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Labour’s “cunning plan” for the Richmond Park by-election

13»

Comments

• Options
    rpjsrpjs Posts: 3,787

RobD said:

No one has left the EU before, so of course we have to make it up.
    *Sunil utters a cough that sounds suspiciously like "Greenland"*

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greenlandic_European_Communities_membership_referendum,_1982
    Greenland did not leave the EU. It was never a member of the EU.
  • Options
    sladeslade Posts: 1,939
    Essexit said:

Mr Dancer bringing up gaming reminds me - has anyone else played Civilization VI yet?

Vanilla VI > Vanilla V for sure, but I'm still not sure if Vanilla VI > Expanded V. The AI still doesn't know how to fight a war for one.

Yes. There are a lot of familiar features but some new twists. For example you create campuses, districts, neighbourhoods around a city and and send Great Persons to them to initiate advances or carry out missions. The graphics are great in detail but the wider perspective is a bit weird. I have only completed one civilisation so far and got a rubbish score. Much more to learn.
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    Utah - Survey Monkey - Sample 1,069 - 18-26 Oct

Clinton 29 .. Trump 32 .. McMullin 29

Via 538
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,985
    edited October 2016
    slade said:

Essexit said:

Mr Dancer bringing up gaming reminds me - has anyone else played Civilization VI yet?

Vanilla VI > Vanilla V for sure, but I'm still not sure if Vanilla VI > Expanded V. The AI still doesn't know how to fight a war for one.

Yes. There are a lot of familiar features but some new twists. For example you create campuses, districts, neighbourhoods around a city and and send Great Persons to them to initiate advances or carry out missions. The graphics are great in detail but the wider perspective is a bit weird. I have only completed one civilisation so far and got a rubbish score. Much more to learn.
    I think I've been spoilt by Europa Universalis, although I suppose they are different beasts.
  • Options
    MonksfieldMonksfield Posts: 2,205
    Based on the content of the thread leader I'm afraid I'm beginning to think Don Brind is some sort of a spoof poster.
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024
    JackW said:

Via 538

Oh shit, its all about turnout there now.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    JackW said:

Via 538

Yes, Clinton needs to step aside and stop splitting the vote.
  • Options
    rpjs said:

RobD said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greenlandic_European_Communities_membership_referendum,_1982
    The EC was the direct predecessor of the EU.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,997
    Mr. D, different genus, same family, perhaps.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,965
    JackW said:

Via 538

We're gonna have a vote

So efficient

It's gonna be great.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

JackW said:

Via 538

Here here.
  • Options
    rpjsrpjs Posts: 3,787

rpjs said:

RobD said:

The EC was the direct predecessor of the EU.
    Yes but you're not exactly comparing apples with apples here - the EC in 1985 was a far less developed beast than the EU in 201?. No single market for a start.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,356
    MP_SE said:
    Did Heath not resign about 1974/5? Seem a bit behind the times.
  • Options
    weejonnieweejonnie Posts: 3,820
    Pulpstar said:

Alistair said:

JackW said:

Via 538

Here here.
    https://twitter.com/PrisonPlanet/status/791404620333678592
  • Options
    MrsBMrsB Posts: 574
    well Baldrick unlikely to do worse than Fox. Anybody know whether we have already saturated the turnip export markets?
  • Options
    weejonnie said:

Pulpstar said:

Alistair said:

JackW said:

Via 538

Here here.
    Green screen. Clearly.

Wake up sheeple.
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024
    Alistair said:

weejonnie said:

Pulpstar said:

Alistair said:

JackW said:

Via 538

Here here.
    Green screen. Clearly.

Wake up sheeple.
    Wow those crowds.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,356
    DavidL said:

MP_SE said:
    Did Heath not resign about 1974/5? Seem a bit behind the times.
    By the way. Quick tip to the Electoral Commission: check the Lib Dem declaration for Botox. If it's not there time to investigate.
  • Options
    MP_SEMP_SE Posts: 3,642
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    MP_SE said:
    Is it true that Zac does SFA for his constituency, or is he a grafter?. The voters need to know.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,389
    edited October 2016
    RobD said:

OT... new Apple laptops out today. They are apparently ditching the escape key, is nothing sacred!

I cannot believe either that laptops these days don't have a working page down button. It makes eg reading PB one extra step awkward.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,985
    TOPPING said:

RobD said:

OT... new Apple laptops out today. They are apparently ditching the escape key, is nothing sacred!

I cannot believe either that laptops these days don't have a working page down button. It makes eg reading PB one extra step awkward.
    ctrl+down does the trick
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,389
    RobD said:

TOPPING said:

RobD said:

ctrl+down does the trick
    Yes. On mine it's "fn" down. But it's still two actions for what was previously a tap on one button.
  • Options
    timmotimmo Posts: 1,469
    weejonnie said:

Pulpstar said:

Alistair said:

JackW said:

Via 538

Here here.
    That sounds like a load if bussed in schoolkids judging from the high pitched squealing
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 7,997
    edited October 2016
    MP_SE said:
    Was a fan.

A Lib Dem spokesperson defended the blog posts about the Conservative prime minister: “I’m sure a lot of people breathed a sigh of relief when it wasn’t Andrea Leadsom as prime minister,” they said, “but I think a lot of that comfort soon evaporated when Theresa May stood up and made her party conference speech.”

Quite. Exactly as I felt. I said it on here. Didn't last when she swung to hard Brexit.
  • Options
    MP_SE said:
    Could Buzzfeed at least get bloody screengrabs of her old (Deleted) blog posts. The Telegraph attempted hatch job on her had no bearing on the reality of what she said.

Hint: Use Google cache.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

MP_SE said:
    Could Buzzfeed at least get bloody screengrabs of her old (Deleted) blog posts. The Telegraph attempted hatch job on her had no bearing on the reality of what she said.

Maybe she could also defend her association with bigot Jenny Tonge. Not so easy to explain away.
  • Options
    brokenwheelbrokenwheel Posts: 3,352
    https://twitter.com/maitlis/status/791705679648137216

Well he found one black Trump voter in New Hampshire!
  • Options

:D
  • Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693
    edited October 2016

That's hilarious. A prepubescent english voice on the other end of the line. At 3am.

"...and are you educated or uneducated?"
  • Options
    619619 Posts: 1,784
    He 's a rubbish Russian sleeper agent

https://twitter.com/ajjaffe/status/791708884339716096
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 7,997
    MP_SE said:

Pulpstar said:

MP_SE said:

Maybe she could also defend her association with bigot Jenny Tonge. Not so easy to explain away.
    Jenny Tonge said "'I was chairing, I did not make any speeches, I introduced the speakers and in the course of that meeting there was a great rant.
    'You do get ranters at these meetings and I think the best way of dealing with them - if you challenge them they go on and on and on and on - the best way is to just say 'yes, thank you very much, next speaker'.'
  • Options
    timmo said:

weejonnie said:

Pulpstar said:

Alistair said:

JackW said:

Via 538

Here here.
    That sounds like a load if bussed in schoolkids judging from the high pitched squealing
    High pitched screams of terror. Like a beach scene from Jaws as the fish guts a bather.
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,136
    619 said:

He 's a rubbish Russian sleeper agent

https://twitter.com/ajjaffe/status/791708884339716096

But a brilliant Democrat sleeper agent!
  • Options
    Pong said:

That's hilarious. A prepubescent english voice on the other end of the line. At 3am.

Actually it is quite interesting he found a black Trump voter in a few calls.

Statistically unlikely I think.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,283

Why is he weird? Sounds like he is on his way to a guest appearance on Newsnight at this rate.
  • Options
    Barnesian said:

MP_SE said:

Pulpstar said:

MP_SE said:

Jenny Tonge said "'I was chairing, I did not make any speeches, I introduced the speakers and in the course of that meeting there was a great rant.
    'You do get ranters at these meetings and I think the best way of dealing with them - if you challenge them they go on and on and on and on - the best way is to just say 'yes, thank you very much, next speaker'.'
    O yes, of course, all a terrible misunderstanding. Just like that time she stated that if she was a Palestinian she would consider becoming a suicide bomber. Or that time she ranted about pro-Israeli lobbyists controlling the western world. Or that time she claimed Israeli soldiers were trafficking organs in Haiti. Or that time she shared links on social media claiming the Jewish lobby is out to get Corbyn.

Quit trying to defend a vile woman.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,892
    On the subject of films....can I recommend to PB's right wing contingent "I, Daniel Blake" by Ken Loach.

You'll hate it like you've never hated a film before!
  • Options
    HaroldOHaroldO Posts: 1,185
    It appears Corbyn seems unhappy about the Nissan deal going on, after whinging about a lack of industry in the country.
    Can the top Labour team keep one idea in their heads at once?
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,047

TGOHF said:

theakes said:

I have reached the conclusion that yet again Don Brind is having a laugh.

If Labour don't stand (or don't try) then a vote for the LD is a vote for Corbyn.

And a vote for Zac is a vote for Farage. Can't imagine Farage is too popular in 70% remain Richmond.
    Though Zac was openly Brexit and hugely popular.
    Richmond was 70-30 in favour of Remain. In 2015, Brexit seemed an unlikely outcome and so having a difference of opinion with your MP simply wasn't a big deal.

I doubt Brexit vs Remain will be the battleground this time. Most people, even in Richmond or Hampstead, have moved on. Instead, I suspect the LibDems will play on "Don't let it be Mrs May with her hard Brexit." This is likely to resonate, given the Leave-ers in Richmond are likely to be more of the EEA/Internationalist bent.

Of course, as Zac is an Independent, he should be able to navigate this OK. But it does mean the Conservative Party has to tread lightly.
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,299
    538 has Clinton chance of victory edging down in last 24 hours.

Can anyone explain - new polls posted per their Updates page in last 24 hours appear pretty solid for her.

• Options
    Roger said:

On the subject of films....can I recommend to PB's right wing contingent "I, Daniel Blake" by Ken Loach.

He's on QT tonight (Loach I mean).
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,136
    MikeL said:

Can anyone explain - new polls posted per their Updates page in last 24 hours appear pretty solid for her.

The Survey Monkey state polls have smaller Clinton leads than 538 in a number of swing states, so that may have reduced the averages a bit. It's only a small movement, though.
  • Options
    MikeL said:

538s model includes momentum, so if polls don't keep getting better there will be a fall in the percentage. Also if you look at their national average there has been a bit of a tightening.
  • Options
    MarkSeniorMarkSenior Posts: 4,699
    edited October 2016
    MP_SE said:

Pulpstar said:

MP_SE said:

What association ?
    What is your agenda and/or motivation in these repeated insinuations against the Lib Dem Richmond candidate ? Is it religious or politically motivated or both ?
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,038
    HaroldO said:

It appears Corbyn seems unhappy about the Nissan deal going on, after whinging about a lack of industry in the country.

Personally, as a Remainer I'm glad about the Nissan deal. Don't know (yet) how much it has cost, but I'm glad to see the people of Sunderland, where I spent three happy student years, with on-going wok.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,057
    Roger said:

Roger, you might like a story I was told by a local in the New Forest about the late Ken Russell. One Sunday morning the local was walking past a little lake to see Russell pushing a coffin across the water and filming the result. Apparently it wasn't for any film; he just wanted to see what he could do with it.
  • Options

HaroldO said:

Personally, as a Remainer I'm glad about the Nissan deal. Don't know (yet) how much it has cost, but I'm glad to see the people of Sunderland, where I spent three happy student years, with on-going wok.
    Not that they deserve it. Being as they wanted out of Europe.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,038
    edited October 2016

HaroldO said:

I dont believe in the concept of the deserving or the underserving poor. Sunderland, and the NE generally has been dumped on for many years and it's about time somehing went right for them.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Ishmael_X said:

Roger said:

A serious question. Do any of the right-wingers on PB work? Reading PB it doesn't seem like it.

The most prolific posters are those with verifiable real-life achievements to their name. How that works I have no idea, unless you can subcontract thriller-writing to the Indians for 3 rupees a day, like with software.
    I'm between thrillers. But I have an idea, a location, a plot, for a new thriller, and I will begin writing in January, so I will be much less visible on here (I hope)

Incidentally, if Roger's still about, the would-be makers of The Ice Twins movie, in Hollywood, have found a director.

On the good side, he's made some critically well received movies, and even been selected at Cannes by the jury etc

On the bad side, his last movie, budgeted at about $8m, made $5000
    If you give me a couple of initials I'll probably be able to tell you whether it's in good hands or not. Making nothing from his latest effort makes him interesting. It means someone thinks he's talented enough to see past his last flop.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

HaroldO said:

I dont believe in the concept of the deserving or the underserving poor. Sunderland, and the NE generally has been dumped on for many years and it's about time somehing went right for them.
    Not sure that an "ongoing wok" will make much difference, but I guess you know better than me ;)
  • Options
    No_Offence_AlanNo_Offence_Alan Posts: 3,845
    edited October 2016

HaroldO said:

Do you believe in the concept of the deserving or the undeserving rich?

• Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693
    edited October 2016
    Pulpstar said:

Pong said:

Depends on how the question was asked etc. Race is a problematic category in sociology/psephology.

To a 12 year old it might be a dead simple question "are you black or white or hispanish?" -But if he was to ask every registered voter in the US that question, the %'ages wouldn't tally with the census stats.
  • Options

Roger said:

Roger, you might like a story I was told by a local in the New Forest about the late Ken Russell. One Sunday morning the local was walking past a little lake to see Russell pushing a coffin across the water and filming the result. Apparently it wasn't for any film; he just wanted to see what he could do with it.
    That's a nice story about one of the UK's most imaginative film makers. Unfortunately one who later lost his way.
  • Options

HaroldO said:

Do you believe in the concept of the deserving or the undeserving rich?

Wealth and "deservingness" aren't really related tbh, for rich or poor.
  • Options

Roger said:

He's on QT tonight (Loach I mean).
    Thanks I'll watch it. I think he's somewhere to the left of Corbyn but good publicity for his film.
  • Options
    AnneJGPAnneJGP Posts: 2,869
    rcs1000 said:

TGOHF said:

theakes said:

I have reached the conclusion that yet again Don Brind is having a laugh.

If Labour don't stand (or don't try) then a vote for the LD is a vote for Corbyn.

And a vote for Zac is a vote for Farage. Can't imagine Farage is too popular in 70% remain Richmond.
    Though Zac was openly Brexit and hugely popular.
    Richmond was 70-30 in favour of Remain. In 2015, Brexit seemed an unlikely outcome and so having a difference of opinion with your MP simply wasn't a big deal.

I doubt Brexit vs Remain will be the battleground this time. Most people, even in Richmond or Hampstead, have moved on. Instead, I suspect the LibDems will play on "Don't let it be Mrs May with her hard Brexit." This is likely to resonate, given the Leave-ers in Richmond are likely to be more of the EEA/Internationalist bent.

Of course, as Zac is an Independent, he should be able to navigate this OK. But it does mean the Conservative Party has to tread lightly.
    I agree with your first remark, about Brexit seeming an unlikely outcome & therefore a difference of opinion with your MP probably wasn't a big deal.

But now that the outcome is Brexit, having an MP who voted for it might not be at all palatable. Maybe most people have moved on, but it may well rankle with some.

OTOH, I don't see how the by-election can exert any pressure to remove the PM. It might make her task more difficult, but would your suggested slogan really have any traction?

(Good evening, everyone)
  • Options
    Pong said:

Pulpstar said:

Pong said:

Depends on how the question was asked etc. Race is a problematic category in sociology/psephology.

To a 12 year old it might be a dead simple question "are you black or white or hispanish?" -But if he was to ask every registered voter in the US that question, the %'ages wouldn't tally with the census stats.
    Part of the issue with Gallup's 2012 performance was failure to accurately identify racial groupings.
  • Options
    philiphphiliph Posts: 4,704
    So what is the ace up Zacs' sleeve?

I promised you I would resign if Heathrow expansion was proposed. I did.

I'm a remainer? I told you that - I have priciples and stick to them.

I am independent minded, I have the interests of the Richmond community at heart. I am not in this to be a party whipping boy, with me, I do as I say.

Contrast with other politicians.
  • Options
    ThomasNasheThomasNashe Posts: 4,993
    Roger said:

While it's certainly worth watching, it wasn't quite the state of the nation film I thought it was going to be.
  • Options
    ThomasNasheThomasNashe Posts: 4,993
    Roger said:

Roger said:

That's a nice story about one of the UK's most imaginative film makers. Unfortunately one who later lost his way.
    Something of an understatement! He was certainly a talent, but seemed to fatally lack a self-editing instinct. Still, I like 'The Music Lovers'. The great unsung talents of British cinema in my view are Derek Jarman and Terence Davies (though good to see the latter is enjoying something of a late flourish now). 'Time and the City' is one of the most profound and moving pieces of film I've ever seen.
  • Options
    PClippPClipp Posts: 2,138

MP_SE said:

What association ?
    What is your agenda and/or motivation in these repeated insinuations against the Lib Dem Richmond candidate ? Is it religious or politically motivated or both ?
    No answer from MP-SE so far, so we do not know. But he is remarkably persistent. Even tedious.
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    philiph said:

I am independent minded, I have the interests of the Richmond community at heart. I am not in this to be a party whipping boy, with me, I do as I say.

philiph said:

Yup

I am Zac
    I am filthy rich
    I can afford to lose
    No one knows how much I have done for the constituency;)

Contrast with other hardworking MP's
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,325
    Don Brind as clueless as ever.
  • Options
    FeersumEnjineeyaFeersumEnjineeya Posts: 3,900
    edited October 2016
This discussion has been closed.