Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The Telegraph does a sting on the Trump campaign and finds tha

Comments

• Options
    619619 Posts: 1,784
    new york times just retweeted the telegrah story...
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    About 5% of people have now voted in the US election.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,117
    SeanT said:

Sean_F said:

SeanT said:

Can we talk about UKIP rather than this now-predictable POTUS election?

UKIP might be about to seize victory from the jaws of oblivion. Both Evans and Nuttall are perfect in terms of seizing Labour territory in the north, Wales, etc. They just need to sort out their chaotic party squabbling, find some money, and get decent candidates.

Both candidates are miles ahead of Corbyn. Labour are facing - yes - an existential threat.

Agreed. There ought to be scope for such a party. Many of the senior figures have done all they can to sink the ship, but the article cited by Alistair Meeks shows 10-14% supporting the party in local elections, similar to the polls.

But, personality clashes can destroy the party.
    I can see a sensible, disciplined, Suzanne Evans-led UKIP winning 20% of the vote in England and Wales in 2020. That would doom Labour to permanent irrelevance.

Eventually this UKIP might actually win a general election.

The party is at a critical stage. They could disappear in the next two years, or become England's SNP.
    If UKIP are to have a future it will be because May has 'diluted' Brexit somewhat in the eyes of hardcore Leavers, hence they will fight the next election on a hardcore anti immigration, anti free movement, anti contributions to EU and anti Single Market platform (if we stay in the latter in any form). Nuttall is more likely to be able to do that than Evans and will target Tory Leave voters in Essex and Kent as much as Labour Leave voters in industrial areas of the North and Midlands
  • Options

SeanT said:

Yawn.

No offence to PB. But Trump has lost. I cannot raise even a semi in excitement.

I'd be really worried about you if you could raise even a semi in excitement over Donald Trump
    Who can resist the Donald's tiny hands...
    Studies were conducted on the marked fascination exercised by the Presidential contender’s hairstyle. 65% of male subjects made positive connections between the hairstyle and their own pubic hair. A series of optimum hairstyles were constructed.

Fragments of Reagan’s cinetized postures were used in the construction of model psychodramas in which the Reagan-figure played the role of husband, doctor, insurance salesman, marriage counselor, etc.

The failure of these roles to express any meaning reveals the nonfunctional character of Reagan. Reagan’s success therefore indicates society’s periodic need to re-conceptualize its political leaders. Reagan thus appears as a series of posture concepts, basic equations which reformulate the roles of aggression and anality. Reagan’s personality. The profound anality of the Presidential contender may be expected to dominate the United States in the coming years. By contrast the late JFK remained the prototype of the oral subject, usually conceived in pre-pubertal terms. In further studies sadistic psychopaths were given the task of devising sex fantasies involving Reagan. Results confirm the probability of Presidential figures being perceived primarily in genital terms; the face of LB Johnson is clearly genital in significant appearance--the nasal prepuce, scrotal jaw, etc. Faces were seen as either circumcised (JFK, Khrushchev) or uncircumcised (LBJ, Adenauer). In assembly-kit tests Reagan’s face was uniformly perceived as a penile erection. Patients were encouraged to devise the optimum sex-death of Ronald Reagan.

With apologies to J G Ballard.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    Well this going to turn Robert into a Remain supporter

Chinese smartphone maker OnePlus also hiked the price of its OnePlus3 model by 6.5%.
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,551
    edited October 2016
    HaroldO said:

I've only been through it twice as it turns into a hard read at times, especially the machinations at the Dem conference. The parliamentary proceedings group discussion they have (the one transcribed from tape) is probably both the most interesting, and dullest, back and forth I have ever read.

It is a hell of a slog in parts, like a lot of Thompson's writing, but there is a lot of interesting stuff in the book.
    HaroldO said:

IIt feels self indulgent at times, but he really gets outside the bubble in a way that the morons at the Canary only wish they could. Rather than wiring their click bait bullshit.

Thompson must have been a nightmare to work with or for, and I think probably only tolerable in small doses, but when he wrote about something he went and took a good long hard look and told you what he saw warts and all. When you read Thompson on politics, or sports, or whatever you see that even though he is frequently exaggerating or inventing things that in his own way he's a lot more truthful than the edited, fact-checked, multiply sourced establishment journalism that fears offending the powerful or losing access.
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    619 said:

new york times just retweeted the telegrah story...

Well that has really swung the election, the NYT, Hillary cheerleader central, has 'retweeted' an anti Trump story!
  • Options
    Could Trump be a Democrat sleeper agent?
  • Options
    The internet never forgets Theresa

FLIGHT OR FIGHT Theresa May clears criticism of Heathrow expansion from personal website ahead of runway announcement

Seven-year-old posts in which the Prime Minister condemned the then-Labour government over plans for a third runway have been deleted from her website

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/2042014/theresa-may-clears-criticism-of-heathrow-expansion-from-personal-website-ahead-of-runway-announcement/
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    Tezza has deleted all anti-Heathrow content from her website

So Zac resigns tomorrow
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,375
    I was sorting out a kitchen today and was told that almost all the prices will be going up by 15% or more in the next few days, as most of the brands come from Germany. As we were going through the online catalogues it was clear that some of the prices already rose back on 1 September.
  • Options

He's the modern day Monty Brewster
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024

I think they made a deal when she went to his wedding with Melania.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,887

FLIGHT OR FIGHT Theresa May clears criticism of Heathrow expansion from personal website ahead of runway announcement

Seven-year-old posts in which the Prime Minister condemned the then-Labour government over plans for a third runway have been deleted from her website

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/2042014/theresa-may-clears-criticism-of-heathrow-expansion-from-personal-website-ahead-of-runway-announcement/

Scott_P said:

So Zac resigns tomorrow

Would Andrea Leadsom have gone for Heathrow? ;)
  • Options
    SPIN have bumped their price on the Clinton ECV spread to 325-335, up five today and up six from a couple of days ago. They are still lower than Spreadex (329-341).
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Scott_P said:

So Zac resigns tomorrow

Would Andrea Leadsom have gone for Heathrow? ;)
    As a Mother? Dunno
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

So Zac resigns tomorrow

Could Zac be a pro-Gatwick sleeper agent?
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Sean_F said:

SeanT said:

Can we talk about UKIP rather than this now-predictable POTUS election?

UKIP might be about to seize victory from the jaws of oblivion. Both Evans and Nuttall are perfect in terms of seizing Labour territory in the north, Wales, etc. They just need to sort out their chaotic party squabbling, find some money, and get decent candidates.

Both candidates are miles ahead of Corbyn. Labour are facing - yes - an existential threat.

Agreed. There ought to be scope for such a party. Many of the senior figures have done all they can to sink the ship, but the article cited by Alistair Meeks shows 10-14% supporting the party in local elections, similar to the polls.

But, personality clashes can destroy the party.
    I can see a sensible, disciplined, Suzanne Evans-led UKIP winning 20% of the vote in England and Wales in 2020. That would doom Labour to permanent irrelevance.

Eventually this UKIP might actually win a general election.

The party is at a critical stage. They could disappear in the next two years, or become England's SNP.
    Suzanne was a Con councillor in Merton until 2014. She defected to UKIP and stood again. In Hillside ward in 2014 she was eighth in a member ward behind 3 Conservative 3 Labour and a Liberal . I know that in the land of the blind the one eyed man is king but really.
  • Options
    NorvilleRogersIIINorvilleRogersIII Posts: 39
    edited October 2016
    It seems Panorama have discovered the reason why the Syrian child refugees from the Jungle have arms like Popeye and Adam's apples the size of a fist...

All the 7 and 8 year olds are making our clothes in Turkish sweatshops
  • Options
    MP_SEMP_SE Posts: 3,642
    edited October 2016
    This has to be one of the worst front pages of the Sun I have seen in ages. The internet is awash with videos of fights in takeaways.

https://twitter.com/SkyNews/status/790672453475373060
  • Options
    619 said:
    Labour reportedly had a better and larger ground game than the Tories in 2015.

If only IOS was still around to tell us about it.
  • Options
  • Options

619 said:
    Labour reportedly had a better and larger ground game than the Tories in 2015.

If only IOS was still around to tell us about it.
    Slightly different in this case. Clinton has a obvious ground game advantage.
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 7,997
    FPT TOPPING said:
    "Why does Zac appeal so much to the voters of Richmond? What can he actually do for them?"

Zac is a very energetic well-liked local MP. I reckon he has a personal vote of around 10,000.

LibDems lost 11,000 to other third parties and can probably squeeze 8,000 of that back.

Some Tories will switch to the LibDems because of a) LHR b) Brexit (Zac is a Leaver) c) annoyed with Zac for causing a by election and standing as an independent. I reckon 5-8,000 Tories can be persuaded to vote LibDem. This gives a switch of 8,000 plus 10-16,000 to the LibDems,

Zac had a majority of 23,000. This implies that the LibDem could just make it if they can persuade 8,000 Tories to punish the Tory Party for LHR and Brexit. But it is a stretch.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    On BBC2 now — overcrowding problems in Barking and Dagenham:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/live/bbctwo
  • Options
    Alexandra Jaffe ‏@ajjaffe
    Washoe County GOP chairman (NV swing county) tells @ChrisJansing Trump campaign won't return his calls:
    Embedded image

Kyle Griffin
    2h
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Barnesian said:

FPT TOPPING said:
    "Why does Zac appeal so much to the voters of Richmond? What can he actually do for them?"

Zac is a very energetic well-liked local MP. I reckon he has a personal vote of around 10,000.

LibDems lost 11,000 to other third parties and can probably squeeze 8,000 of that back.

Some Tories will switch to the LibDems because of a) LHR b) Brexit (Zac is a Leaver) c) annoyed with Zac for causing a by election and standing as an independent. I reckon 5-8,000 Tories can be persuaded to vote LibDem. This gives a switch of 8,000 plus 10-16,000 to the LibDems,

Zac had a majority of 23,000. This implies that the LibDem could just make it if they can persuade 8,000 Tories to punish the Tory Party for LHR and Brexit. But it is a stretch.

Also: who cares.
    Me
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,780
    Interesting hint of Scandinavian softness on Brexit:
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2016/10/24/sweden-holds-out-olive-branch-to-brexit-britain/

(But what are these cherries that everyone is so anxious we don't pick ?)
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Barnesian said:

FPT TOPPING said:

Also: who cares.
    He's a LEAVE MP, May needs every vote she can get.
  • Options
    Barnesian said:

FPT TOPPING said:

Zac has said he will run as an independent, the local Tories will likely give him a free pass
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Scott_P said:
    Good. Fuck this dipshit posho Tory Greenie. SAINT Theresa is going for full on, free trading, build Heathrow, build HS2, build Hinkley, build everything, turn the UK into a Singapore with Masterchef fuck-the-Celts, fuck-lefty-eco-wankers superplan. BUILD.
    Not a Zac fan then but good to see you coming round to May!
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    619 said:
    Unless he squeezes the Johnson vote or those 'not sures' are really shy Trump voters
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Barnesian said:

FPT TOPPING said:

Zac has said he will run as an independent, the local Tories will likely give him a free pass
    The local Tory party will. Most Tory voters will, But not all - for the reasons I give above.
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    Barnesian said:

HYUFD said:

Barnesian said:

FPT TOPPING said:

The local Tory party will. Most Tory voters will, But not all - for the reasons I give above.
    What? No-one standing to support government policy?
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    SeanT said:

Missed this. Incredibly moving, naive, over-emotive yet profound speech by Labour MP about her lost child. Forceful.

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2016/oct/13/mp-vicky-foxcroft-moving-speech-losing-baby-labour

Tory MP Antoinette Sandbach gave a similar speech recently.
  • Options
    It's a pity there have been hardly any polls from Minnesota. The out-of-date ones that have been conducted give Clinton a lead of only 4 points.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Barnesian said:

HYUFD said:

Barnesian said:

FPT TOPPING said:

What? No-one standing to support government policy?
    UKIP will probably put up a candidate.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

HYUFD said:

SeanT said:

Scott_P said:
    Good. Fuck this dipshit posho Tory Greenie. SAINT Theresa is going for full on, free trading, build Heathrow, build HS2, build Hinkley, build everything, turn the UK into a Singapore with Masterchef fuck-the-Celts, fuck-lefty-eco-wankers superplan. BUILD.
    Not a Zac fan then but good to see you coming round to May!
    Not a huge fan of May. But she is all we have. So, build. And push for soft-boiled Brexit.
    I think she will almost certainly offer EU citizens the right to come to live in the UK but only with a job offer and try and get a trade deal around that
  • Options
    Barnesian said:

HYUFD said:

Barnesian said:

FPT TOPPING said:

The LDs might cut his majority but I can't see him losing. Goodnight
  • Options
    Anyone been to Sweden recently? I don't know what's going on there but the latest YouGov poll puts the far-right in the lead with 24.3%:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swedish_general_election,_2018#Poll_results
  • Options
    AndrewAndrew Posts: 2,900
    AndyJS said:

It's a pity there have been hardly any polls from Minnesota. The out-of-date ones that have been conducted give Clinton a lead of only 4 points.

There was an Ipsos one over 2 weeks, had Clinton+12. Only sample of 500ish though.

• Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,984
    Nate Silver goes against pure statistical interpretation of the polls to allow for a Trump win, or Hillary megablowout.

Nate Silver ‏@NateSilver538 19m19 minutes ago

Our forecast gives Trump a 15% chance, while others have him at just 1%-7%. Here's why we're more conservative.

Nate Silver ‏@NateSilver538 8m8 minutes ago

This uncertainty cuts in both directions, so we probably also give higher odds to (say) Clinton winning 400+ EV than other models.
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    Pulpstar said:

Nate Silver goes against pure statistical interpretation of the polls to allow for a Trump win, or Hillary megablowout.

Our forecast gives Trump a 15% chance, while others have him at just 1%-7%. Here's why we're more conservative.

This uncertainty cuts in both directions, so we probably also give higher odds to (say) Clinton winning 400+ EV than other models.

The RCP average has Clinton 5 points ahead with 4 candidates. To give Trump only a 15% chance of victory seems far too low to me, given that figure. I know he's focusing on states, but even so.

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2016/president/us/general_election_trump_vs_clinton_vs_johnson_vs_stein-5952.html
  • Options
    DromedaryDromedary Posts: 1,194
    Betfair midprices:

Clinton 1.205
    Trump 6.1
    Sanders 175
    Pence 845
    Biden 895
    Kaine 985

What's with the betting on Sanders?
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,119
    AndyJS said:

Anyone been to Sweden recently? I don't know what's going on there but the latest YouGov poll puts the far-right in the lead with 24.3%:

As a reaction to things like this it's not surprising:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5LAwJDA_DB0
  • Options
    DromedaryDromedary Posts: 1,194
    edited October 2016

AndyJS said:

If the anti-immigration far right wanted to do some black propaganda ostensibly coming from multiculturalist supporters of mass immigration, they could hardly make a more effective film than that.

Sweden is a very weird place - all "lagom" on the surface and everyone-is-corrupt noir fiction underneath.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,780
    BBC analysis of what Brexit deal(s) can, and can't be passed by QMV.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-37755668

Anyone know if this is accurate (or how accurate) ?
  • Options
    dugarbandierdugarbandier Posts: 2,596
    Pulpstar said:

what's a "pure" statisitical interpretation?
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,291
    edited October 2016
    FFS Jim the washing machine salesman has got himself a committee job.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,291
    edited October 2016
    AndyJS said:

Did you see the newsnight segment on Swedish jahadi's. Even through the bbc rose tinted lens it looked awful. To put it mildly, the famed open liberal society wasn't working very well.
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    A video emerges showing Trump praising both Hillary and Bill Clinton:

twitter.com/Parker9_/status/790323912290684930
  • Options
    RecidivistRecidivist Posts: 4,679
    SeanT said:

BTW there really SHOULD be a UKIP leader thread.

It occurs to me that, by mistake, UKIP have come up with two very threatening-to-Labour candidates, in Paul Nuttall and Suzanne Evans.

If they go the centrist but ethnocentric route, socially conservative and patriotic, and if they can somehow find donors and decent candidates, UKIP under either of these plausible leaders could supplant Labour-under-Corbyn. Literally: SUPPLANT.

They would be the Hard Brexit working class patriots versus the soft Brexit Tory poshos, and Labour would be nowhere. Labour would be finished.

Out of curiosity, how do you come to have so much insight into what Labour voters think of UKIP leader options?
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    AndyJS said:

A video emerges showing Trump praising both Hillary and Bill Clinton:

twitter.com/Parker9_/status/790323912290684930

It's all amusing stuff, like the wedding photos, but it won't shift any votes.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,196
    AndyJS said:

Interestingly, the polls underestimated the Swedish Democrats at the 2014 election. And the polls at the moment show quite a variation. YouGov and Sentio consistently have them in the mid 20s. The others have them in the mid to high teens.
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    Michigan - Mitchell Research/Fox2 - Sample 1,241 - 23 Oct

Clinton 51 .. Trump 43

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/docs/2016/FOX_2_Detroit-Mitchell_Poll_of_MI_Press_Clinton_v_Trump_10-24-16.pdf
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,503

AndyJS said:

Jesus.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,057

Scott_P said:
    Well this going to turn Robert into a Remain supporter

Chinese smartphone maker OnePlus also hiked the price of its OnePlus3 model by 6.5%.
    I bought pre price rise (phew)...
  • Options
    JackW said:

Michigan - Mitchell Research/Fox2 - Sample 1,241 - 23 Oct

Clinton 51 .. Trump 43

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/docs/2016/FOX_2_Detroit-Mitchell_Poll_of_MI_Press_Clinton_v_Trump_10-24-16.pdf

pretty comfortable leads here and in MI
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,941
    Morning all. That Swedish video is a spoof, right?
  • Options
    When are we getting the Heathrow announcement, will it be at 07:30 (half an hour from now) before the stock market opens?
  • Options
    ThreeQuidderThreeQuidder Posts: 6,133
    Sandpit said:

When are we getting the Heathrow announcement, will it be at 07:30 (half an hour from now) before the stock market opens?

Commons statement at 12.30, I'd guess.
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    Sandpit said:

Not sure, it may have been sponsored by the Borg collective...
  • Options

Sandpit said:

If it's not the whole new runway at Heathrow, the industry will come back for more. And even if it is. Only it'll wait a teeny bit longer. If I were PM I'd demolish the whole of London....

• Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,956

Sandpit said:

Not sure, it may have been sponsored by the Borg collective...
    Wow. It is the sort of advertising mis-step I'd expect from the London elite. Totally misunderstanding the problem at the same time as telling nationals that they're wrong/nasty/stupid.

• Options

Sandpit said:

If it's not the whole new runway at Heathrow, the industry will come back for more. And even if it is. Only it'll wait a teeny bit longer. If I were PM I'd demolish the whole of London....

Given the amount of media reports that it will almost certainly be Heathrow (from a government leaking like a sieve on Brexit), the government would be playing a strange game if it turns out any different.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    Labour have been fined £20k for not declaring election expenses

Including the EdStone...
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,726
    Scott_P said:

Including the EdStone...

Did they think nobody would notice?
  • Options
    PlatoSaidPlatoSaid Posts: 10,383
    The Howard League
    We are pleased to welcome @michaelgove, who will chair the advisory board on this programme. https://t.co/BTsmU5B4OJ
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Including the EdStone...

LOL, the gift that keeps on giving.

But seriously, there's been stories about all parties and 2015 election expenses, which suggests that urgent clarity is required from the Electoral Commission before the next election. I would suggest more detail on classifications of spending, and a helpdesk operating during the election period so the parties can have edge cases or stunts cleared in advance - but backed up with draconian fines (10x the spending?) for subsequent misdemeanours.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    Scott_P said:

Including the EdStone...

Really? I thought we'd been assured it was only Tories who broke rules?
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    Scott_P said:

Including the EdStone...

I wonder what policies that Corbyn will put on the #jezzastone.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,062
    Scott_P said:
    good opportunity for open source software companies
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

The Howard League
    We are pleased to welcome @michaelgove, who will chair the advisory board on this programme. https://t.co/BTsmU5B4OJ

Good appointment, he did a lot of thinking on justice reform and will keep the government honest from the back benches.
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,726
    HYUFD said:

Barnesian said:

FPT TOPPING said:

Can the Tories afford to lose a bit of their majority? An Independent MP can't be relied on.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548

HYUFD said:

Barnesian said:

FPT TOPPING said:

Can the Tories afford to lose a bit of their majority? An Independent MP can't be relied on.
    The Tories need to fight it, the question is whether the gap year kid decides to stand as an independent.
  • Options
    MonksfieldMonksfield Posts: 2,216
    Assuming we get Heathrow expansion, it's the obvious choice and lets just get on with it.

I use Birmingham Airport quite a bit, but would use it alot more if there was a greater range of routes. It seems to me a very underutilised facility considering it has excellent fast rail links to London and the NW, as well as to its own hinterland. Surely encouraging a bit more long and medium haul from Birmingham would be a good use of investment.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,062
    SeanT said:

Scott_P said:
    Turn the whole sh*thole into a runway for all we care. All you saddos desperate to get out of the dump.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Scott_P said:
    We rarely agree but you're right here. Someone willing to put a couple of million into Linux and Open Office support has a great opportunity. We should be encouraging small businesses and government entities to move away from the M$ lock-in. Most modern web applications are platform-agnostic, we don't have the IE6 problem any more.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,020

Assuming we get Heathrow expansion, it's the obvious choice and lets just get on with it.

I use Birmingham Airport quite a bit, but would use it alot more if there was a greater range of routes. It seems to me a very underutilised facility considering it has excellent fast rail links to London and the NW, as well as to its own hinterland. Surely encouraging a bit more long and medium haul from Birmingham would be a good use of investment.

Until they sort out flights from all local airports to Heathrow I'll stick to via Schiphol - its the 25 minutes from arrival at MME to departure time that is the winner for me,
  • Options
    PlatoSaidPlatoSaid Posts: 10,383
    Trump TV of sorts launched

http://fortune.com/2016/10/24/donald-trump-campaign-facebook-live/

The nightly live stream provides the campaign a way to get around the mainstream media, which Trump has routinely attacked during the election, Epshteyn told Wired.

“We all know how strong the left wing media bias is,” he said. “This is us delivering our message to voters. It has nothing to do with Trump TV. It’s about using 21st century technology and communication in a way that’s effective.”
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Barnesian said:

FPT TOPPING said:

problem is that a Tory and Zac running against each other could split the vote and let in a Lib dem. Esp with the Lib dem being REMAIN in London...
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Barnesian said:

FPT TOPPING said:

The Tories need to fight it, the question is whether the gap year kid decides to stand as an independent.
    Yes, the Tories have to stand a candidate. A serving MP quitting or defecting must know he will be challenged by the party machine.

The irony is that when the new runway opens, Zac's constituents will have *fewer* planes flying overhead, as the planned expansion is north of the existing airport.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Scott_P said:
    That 10% Dell increase was back in early September - there will be another 10% to come.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

malcolmg said:

Scott_P said:
    We rarely agree but you're right here. Someone willing to put a couple of million into Linux and Open Office support has a great opportunity. We should be encouraging small businesses and government entities to move away from the M$ lock-in. Most modern web applications are platform-agnostic, we don't have the IE6 problem any more.
    Anyone looking to backend a system with Python should be hosting on PythonAnywhere*. Extremely cost effective, and incredibly reliable. It's like Amazon EC2, but with no system administration overhead, and it scales automatically. Think Heroku, but better.

* I may have a small financial interest.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,610
    Sandpit said:

HYUFD said:

Barnesian said:

FPT TOPPING said:

Yes, the Tories have to stand a candidate. A serving MP quitting or defecting must know he will be challenged by the party machine.

The irony is that when the new runway opens, Zac's constituents will have *fewer* planes flying overhead, as the planned expansion is north of the existing airport.
    Nah, they'll choose to not fight on the basis of not giving him a platform.
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    eek said:

Until they sort out flights from all local airports to Heathrow I'll stick to via Schiphol - its the 25 minutes from arrival at MME to departure time that is the winner for me,
    Yes, KLM have a much better network from British regional airports than BA, as do Emirates for long haul. It's a symptom of LHR being completely full, and something BA would hope to address with the new runways.
  • Options
    Airport meeting starts 0830
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,002
    Good morning, everyone.

Gosh. We have a newspaper with investigative journalists. Good work, Telegraph.

Mr. Sandpit, I've been using Open Office since changing from XP to 7. After a few small problems (took me bloody ages to discover how to change from straight to curly apostrophes/speech marks) it's worked fine. About to discover how well it handles formatting e-books (obviously that's a rather niche interest).
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Sandpit said:

HYUFD said:

Barnesian said:

FPT TOPPING said:

What about 2020?
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

malcolmg said:

Scott_P said:
    Nope, that problem has moved to Google Chrome.
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,420

HYUFD said:

Barnesian said:

FPT TOPPING said:

He could probably be relied upon almost as much as an independent as as a whipped MP; certainly a lot more than a Lib Dem could.

Questions for CCHQ would be:

1. How well would an official Conservative do running against Zac (and against everyone else)?
    2. How much would splitting the Con vote risk letting the Lib Dems in?
    3. How much of a loss would it be to have Zac returned as an independent?

My own solution, if Zac is willing to run with it, would be for the Tories to nominate him again. If he won't, then give him a clear run.

And yes, I have changed my mind on this.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,610
    rcs1000 said:

MaxPB said:

Sandpit said:

HYUFD said:

Barnesian said:

FPT TOPPING said:

What about 2020?
    He may have rejoined the party by then or decided to retire from Parliament.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Sandpit said:

HYUFD said:

Barnesian said:

FPT TOPPING said:

I agree. Making a big decision affecting a constituency and then putting no-one up to defend it is, nevertheless, rather wimpy.

I still wonder whether ZG himself will wimp out and delay his decision on the basis that today's decision is actually not that, but merely a recommendation subject to consultation.
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,420
    Sandpit said:

eek said:

Yes, KLM have a much better network from British regional airports than BA, as do Emirates for long haul. It's a symptom of LHR being completely full, and something BA would hope to address with the new runways.
    Or BA could use regional airports. I don't want to have to go to the south of London or beyond to fly somewhere. Manchester or E Mids would do fine. And those extra flights from the north and midlands would be beneficial to Londoners and those in the SE, cutting down on noise pollution there.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,395
    MaxPB said:

Sandpit said:

HYUFD said:

Barnesian said:

FPT TOPPING said:

Why the reverence for Zac, though? Of course they will stand a candidate as the party's purpose is to win elections, the corollary of which is to be able to win votes in parliament.
  • Options
    Moses_Moses_ Posts: 4,865
    Seems like Mr Vaz has a new committee job..........

Keith Vaz has put himself on the Commons Justice committee despite an on-going probe.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3867996/No-wonder-call-Mr-Vazeline-Weeks-kicked-Home-Affairs-committee-Keith-Vaz-puts-JUSTICE-committee.html#ixzz4O4wd3Z4m
This discussion has been closed.