Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Latest UKIP leader betting and some of the controversial Tweet

Comments

• Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098
    edited October 2016
    geoffw said:

Pulpstar said:

Though if it can only be one I'd go with Heathrow. I could just about stomach heading down to LHR for a particularly good holiday deal, but Gatwick is another hour on top for travelling misery.

"Though if it can only be one" - why would that be if there's no extra demand on public funding?
    Any expansion of any airport will require public funding. The airport owners finance work inside the perimeter but changes/additions to the road network and other infrastructure outside it is on the the taxpayer. Heathrow will cost us three times the amount of a second runway at Gatwick. Though I can't off the top of my head remember the actual figures we are talking about multiple billions.

On top of that the disruption that will be caused to an already overloaded motorway system (the M25 section from the M3 round to the M40 is already gummed up for most of the daylight hours) will impose costs on many, many businesses that have nothing to do with the airport, and for several years.

The costs of expanding Heathrow will be enormous and for what? So that the UK can play in the continuation of the dubious Hub and Spoke model of air travel? As Mr Sandpit mentioned up thread, point to point is taking over. I am sure it will happen but I am not convinced we need it or that the business case really holds up.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,631
    Pulpstar said:
    So much for the C4 investigation into Tory GE spending. The commission have got Labour instead. L-O-L.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,002
    MaxPB said:

Pulpstar said:
    So much for the C4 investigation into Tory GE spending. The commission have got Labour instead. L-O-L.
    Heart of EdStone.
  • Options
    JackW said:

JackW said:

National Panel Tracker - LA Times - Sample 3,104 - 25 Oct

Clinton 45.0 .. Trump 44.1

http://www.latimes.com/politics/

It's not called " the silent majority " without reason.
    Wise of you to keep your storied ARSE off the line in these strange times.
    You cling to the comfort blanket of this tracker and Rasmussen if you wish, whilst Trump's campaign manager conceded yesterday that they were behind.

You are of course quite correct about the "silent majority" - College educated whites, minorities and women sending Donald into the world of Trump TV.
    Don't forget the IBD/TIPP " gold standard " ;

http://www.investors.com/politics/trump-up-2-points-nationwide-while-clinton-campaigns-as-if-the-race-is-already-won-ibdtipp-poll/
  • Options
    PlatoSaidPlatoSaid Posts: 10,383
    Michael Moore on Trump voters - he gets it very well. NSFW

Jared Wyand
    If you make this go viral, Trump will win. It's 4 minutes that makes the choice in this election crystal clear.

#EarlyVoting https://t.co/UOgqSfet6a
  • Options
    weejonnieweejonnie Posts: 3,820
    We now have some data on Florida voted early - as opposed to by mail

Mail: Rep: 554,476 : Dem: 523,046
    Early: Rep: 99,437 : Dem : 114,595

Thus still a narrow Rep Lead.

No affiliation: 207,230 by Mail, 36,694 voted early.

• Options
  • Options

JackW said:

JackW said:

You cling to the comfort blanket of this tracker and Rasmussen if you wish, whilst Trump's campaign manager conceded yesterday that they were behind.

You are of course quite correct about the "silent majority" - College educated whites, minorities and women sending Donald into the world of Trump TV.

http://www.investors.com/politics/trump-up-2-points-nationwide-while-clinton-campaigns-as-if-the-race-is-already-won-ibdtipp-poll/
    It's in the Podesta Emails that the Hillary strategy was a flood of polling with skewed samples and saying that the election was already over. And it's happening in real time.
  • Options

geoffw said:

Pulpstar said:

Though if it can only be one I'd go with Heathrow. I could just about stomach heading down to LHR for a particularly good holiday deal, but Gatwick is another hour on top for travelling misery.

"Though if it can only be one" - why would that be if there's no extra demand on public funding?
    Any expansion of any airport will require public funding. The airport owners finance work inside the perimeter but changes/additions to the road network and other infrastructure outside it is on the the taxpayer. Heathrow will cost us three times the amount of a second runway at Gatwick. Though I can't off the top of my head remember the actual figures we are talking about multiple billions.

On top of that the disruption that will be caused to an already overloaded motorway system (the M25 section from the M3 round to the M40 is already gummed up for most of the daylight hours) will impose costs on many, many businesses that have nothing to do with the airport, and for several years.

The costs of expanding Heathrow will be enormous and for what? So that the UK can play in the continuation of the dubious Hub and Spoke model of air travel? As Mr Sandpit mentioned up thread, point to point is taking over. I am sure it will happen but I am not convinced we need it or that the business case really holds up.
    Point to point still requires airlines to fill up planes of around 300 people to a minimum 85% capacity to work. The chances that there are enough people in London that want to fly to and from Chengdu everyday to warrant a direct link is extremely low, if BA use a One World codeshare to bring in passengers from US east coast the traffic might just be enough to warrant a direct daily connection. Point to point will eventually take over for more popular flights, but for provincial destinations hub and spoke will still be necessary. There just isn't enough domestic traffic to make daily flights to out of the way places.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,472
    LBC say 'source' confirms it is Heathrow
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    edited October 2016
    IanB2 said:

LBC say 'source' confirms it is Heathrow

LBC probably read it on the BBC web site.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-37760187?ns_mchannel=social&ns_campaign=bbc_breaking&ns_source=twitter&ns_linkname=news_central
  • Options
    MonikerDiCanioMonikerDiCanio Posts: 5,792
    edited October 2016
    PlatoSaid said:

JackW said:

JackW said:

It's in the Podesta Emails that the Hillary strategy was a flood of polling with skewed samples and saying that the election was already over. And it's happening in real time.
    Pollsters are rapidly heading for the gutter of public disrepute to join journalists, ad men, lawyers, and professional politicians.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,920
    Scott_P said:

@bbclaurak: So, it seems done (at last!) Source tells me Heathrow did get the nod in committee this morning - No 10 won't confirm or deny, cabinet now

Will Boris do a Hezza? Storm out of Cabinet and resign? :smiley:
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    GIN1138 said:

I am going to go with, No...
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Scott_P said:

@bbclaurak: So, it seems done (at last!) Source tells me Heathrow did get the nod in committee this morning - No 10 won't confirm or deny, cabinet now

Unlikely.
  • Options
    Well the LBC reporter is on now reporting what he "was told". Maybe the BBC website office has the radio on?
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Scott_P said:

Boris is well capable of holding two contradictory views on a subject and just doing what is expedient.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Scott_P said:

Boris went into the meeting by the back entrance and refused to speak to reporters. So there's a first! (Well, June 24/25th excepted, I guess).
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

GIN1138 said:

Scott_P said:

Unlikely.
    I do hope not, there is a Fox to shoot first in the cabinet.
  • Options
  • Options
    IndigoIndigo Posts: 9,966
    GIN1138 said:

Scott_P said:

Not a chance.

More likely "I didn't give a cr@p about Heathrow but needed the anti-Heathrow vote in my coalition to beat Ken4Mayor" "I spoke in cabinet strongly against Heathrow, but sadly the decision went against me, and I must now with a heavy heart be bound by the collective responsibility of the cabinet"
  • Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693
    PlatoSaid said:

JackW said:

JackW said:

Do you have a link to the emails saying that?
  • Options
    EssexitEssexit Posts: 1,956
    Pulpstar said:

MaxPB said:

GIN1138 said:

Scott_P said:

Unlikely.
    If said Fox is shot first I make £150.
  • Options
    Pong said:

PlatoSaid said:

JackW said:

JackW said:

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2016-10-23/new-podesta-email-exposes-dem-playbook-rigging-polls-through-oversamples
  • Options
    619619 Posts: 1,784
    weejonnie said:

We now have some data on Florida voted early - as opposed to by mail

Mail: Rep: 554,476 : Dem: 523,046
    Early: Rep: 99,437 : Dem : 114,595

Thus still a narrow Rep Lead.

No affiliation: 207,230 by Mail, 36,694 voted early.

I think the big increase in Hispanic voting is the problem for Trump in Florida though. And that's down on last time for the Republicans...
  • Options
    Essexit said:

Pulpstar said:

MaxPB said:

GIN1138 said:

Scott_P said:

Unlikely.
    If said Fox is shot first I make £150.
    I'll net £80 on the market too. Here's hoping :)
  • Options
    Not surprising - members are banned from entereing into trade negotiations whilst members of the EU.
  • Options

Well well well

ttps://twitter.com/AllieRenison/status/790843662443941890

How very odd. It may or may not be unlawful for the UK, in what way is Australia bound by the provisions of the Lisbon and Maastricht Treaties ?

• Options
    Let's stay in so we can make a deal with Canada instead.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Scott_P said:

No - Boris has his emotions well under control. A more steady character you could never hope to find in politics.
  • Options
    Essexit said:

There's talks and there's "talks", that's the whole point. We're limited in our ability to do a deal too.
  • Options
    Essexit said:

ROFL! :smiley:
  • Options
    weejonnie said:

GIN1138 said:

Scott_P said:

No - Boris has his emotions well under control. A more steady character you could never hope to find in politics.
    Boris is Foreign Secretary of the United Kingdom, whatever his faults he must be doing something right ;)
  • Options
    weejonnie said:

Not surprising - members are banned from entereing into trade negotiations whilst members of the EU.
    We'd better speed up the Brexit process then - Theresa needs to get on with A50.
  • Options

Essexit said:

There's talks and there's "talks", that's the whole point. We're limited in our ability to do a deal too.
    Well quite, the negotiations will continue and probably all the detail will get thrashed out in sub rosa meetings and informal contacts, potentially all the way to a draft treaty. After BrExit comes into force there will be a brief series of official meetings in which a remarkable meeting of minds will seem to have taken place and a deal will be done within a small number of months. Will it look fishy ? Sure! It it actionable ? No chance.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,788
    Did The Times report this too?

Australia’s trade minister Steven Ciobo has suggested Australia may scale back plans to secure a free trade deal with the European Union following the collapse of a European trade deal with Canada.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/national-affairs/brexit-australia-to-scale-back-plans-for-free-trade-deals-with-uk-eu/news-story/fcd40d43ee0b7dcd66709792718e3b90
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,010
    Miss Plato, I think that audio explains why Trump still has appeal for many people.
  • Options
    Germany ignored the Fiscal Compact (effectively green-lighting the rest of the eurozone to do so), France breached EU law by banning imports of our beef...maybe when it comes to trade negotiations with third parties we shouldn't let ourselves be so bound by the rules.
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    edited October 2016
    weejonnie said:

It appears to be a surprise for Allie Renison, Head of Europe and Trade Policy at The IoD...
  • Options
    Diplomatically I have chosen to break an exemption: No-one with a 'brain-cell that works' wishes to continue communicating with your synthetic posts.

:)
  • Options
    Indigo said:

Pong said:

PlatoSaid said:

JackW said:

JackW said:

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2016-10-23/new-podesta-email-exposes-dem-playbook-rigging-polls-through-oversamples
    Absolute rubbish. I think people whining about oversamples do not understand polling.
  • Options
    Indigo said:

Essexit said:

Well quite, the negotiations will continue and probably all the detail will get thrashed out in sub rosa meetings and informal contacts, potentially all the way to a draft treaty. After BrExit comes into force there will be a brief series of official meetings in which a remarkable meeting of minds will seem to have taken place and a deal will be done within a small number of months. Will it look fishy ? Sure! It it actionable ? No chance.
    What even is the enforcement mechanism? With the ECJ kick us out of the EU?
  • Options
    edited October 2016

Miss Plato, I think that audio explains why Trump still has appeal for many people.

Whilst we're all wary of the Corbyn rally effect - to give the scale of the difference since August > Trump rally attendance 516k vs Hillary 31.5k.

It's enormous - c25k for last night in Florida, stadia packed to the rafters with bigger crowds than some NFL games. There's no need to exaggerate the numbers - there's panning shots of them all live.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited October 2016
    Update on the ECV probability distributions of the 538 and HuffPost election models (see my posts yesterday for more details):

Clinton Bands 538 Huff ================================ Under 250 9.35% 1.18% 250-259 1.98% 0.87% 260-269 2.59% 1.31% 270-279 3.90% 2.42% 280-289 3.36% 2.47% 290-299 3.69% 4.19% 300-309 4.50% 6.24% 310-319 5.23% 6.50% 320-329 5.91% 8.09% 330-339 5.47% 8.86% 340-349 7.43% 19.04% 350-359 8.22% 16.84% 360-369 7.41% 7.70% 370-379 6.18% 5.21% 380-389 4.43% 2.88% 390-399 3.38% 2.30% 400 or over 16.99% 3.91% ================================ Prob Clinton win 86.09% 96.64% Implied fair value for spreads markets: Clinton ECVs 339.4 339.0 Clinton 270-up 75.4 69.7 Clinton 300-up 51.3 41.9 Clinton 330-up 31.0 18.6 Trump 270-up 5.9 0.6 Trump 300-up 2.8 0.1 Trump 330-up 1.2 0.0
  • Options
    Miss Plato, I still think Clinton will win handily, but a Trump triumph is not inconceivable.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,144

PlatoSaid said:

JackW said:

JackW said:

Pollsters are rapidly heading for the gutter of public disrepute to join journalists, ad men, lawyers, and professional politicians.
    I think you've just listed all the pb.com readership!
  • Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693
    edited October 2016
    Indigo said:

Pong said:

PlatoSaid said:

JackW said:

JackW said:

The wikileaks email is from 2008.

I'm interested in the evidence that "the Hillary strategy was a flood of polling with skewed samples"

If true, it's relevant for those of us punting on polls.

@platosays ?
  • Options
    Essexit said:

Germany ignored the Fiscal Compact (effectively green-lighting the rest of the eurozone to do so), France breached EU law by banning imports of our beef...maybe when it comes to trade negotiations with third parties we shouldn't let ourselves be so bound by the rules.

What's the worst they could do?

Chuck us out?
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

Whilst we're all wary of the Corbyn rally effect - to give the scale of the difference since August > Trump rally attendance 516k vs Hillary 31.5k.

It's enormous - c25k for last night in Florida, stadia packed to the rafters with bigger crowds than some NFL games. There's no need to exaggerate the numbers - there's panning shots of them all live.
    Average attendance for the Miami Dolphins last season, 67,193. But that's not the point, it's not the 25,000 in the stadium you have worry about, it's the 19,000,000 who aren't.
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    619 said:

Indigo said:

Pong said:

PlatoSaid said:

JackW said:

JackW said:

Absolute rubbish. I think people whining about oversamples do not understand polling.
    Its better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool...

Possibly you could explain how this was given as advice from a senior member of a progressive polling organisation to a political strategist and head of a democratic PAC. I am sure both must be completely ignorant of how polling works.

• Options

Miss Plato, I still think Clinton will win handily, but a Trump triumph is not inconceivable.

I'd rather see a Clinton win because Trump just seems insane but should The Donald get it PB and CIF will be "entertaining" on the day after... ;)
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,797
    Brexit doesn't have much going for it, but an informal alliance of the UK, Canada and Australia should be very doable. Similar, somewhat isolated (newly so in the case of the UK) Anglo Saxon origin countries with ambitions that stretch beyond their shores.
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    It can't be an accident - but today I'm getting a load of tweets under the meme #TheHoodForTrump

It's all video of Blacks and Hispanics - inc celebrity endorsements from 50 Cents et al. I've seen a few big attitude videos before - but nothing like this.

Greg Hilliard
    As a Black Man from the Streets, Im trying EVERYTHING to get this mesage VIRAL. Please share this

#TheHoodForTrump

https://t.co/4Mpv4zQKzh
  • Options
    edited October 2016

Essexit said:

What's the worst they could do?

Chuck us out?
    Mr Juncker will write a very strongly worded letter to Mrs May. And er... Lots of lawyers, lefties and bureaucrats will be very cross.
  • Options
    Pong said:

Indigo said:

Pong said:

PlatoSaid said:

JackW said:

JackW said:

The wikileaks email is from 2008.

I'm interested in the evidence that "the Hillary strategy was a flood of polling with skewed samples"

If true, it's relevant for those of us punting on polls.

@platosays ?
    All it tells you is that historically the Dems have been interested in providing samples which pander to their prefered demographic. Human nature is that people tend to repeat themselves, especially if they perceive that it works and they get away with it. That is a factor to be aware of when placing you money. Nothing more, nothing less.

I still think Hillary will win, I am dubious it will be by a landslide.
  • Options

Update on the ECV probability distributions of the 538 and HuffPost election models (see my posts yesterday for more details):

Clinton Bands 538 Huff ================================ Under 250 9.35% 1.18% 250-259 1.98% 0.87% 260-269 2.59% 1.31% 270-279 3.90% 2.42% 280-289 3.36% 2.47% 290-299 3.69% 4.19% 300-309 4.50% 6.24% 310-319 5.23% 6.50% 320-329 5.91% 8.09% 330-339 5.47% 8.86% 340-349 7.43% 19.04% 350-359 8.22% 16.84% 360-369 7.41% 7.70% 370-379 6.18% 5.21% 380-389 4.43% 2.88% 390-399 3.38% 2.30% 400 or over 16.99% 3.91% ================================ Prob Clinton win 86.09% 96.64% Implied fair value for spreads markets: Clinton ECVs 339.4 339.0 Clinton 270-up 75.4 69.7 Clinton 300-up 51.3 41.9 Clinton 330-up 31.0 18.6 Trump 270-up 5.9 0.6 Trump 300-up 2.8 0.1 Trump 330-up 1.2 0.0

Nate Silver isn't sure is he.
  • Options

PlatoSaid said:

JackW said:

JackW said:

What I find touching is that PB reverts to polling-is-almost-infallible. It's been wrong many times and still it's used as some Delphic data source.
  • Options
    FF43 said:

Brexit doesn't have much going for it, but an informal alliance of the UK, Canada and Australia should be very doable. Similar, somewhat isolated (newly so in the case of the UK) Anglo Saxon origin countries with ambitions that stretch beyond their shores.

And already linked via 'Five Eyes'......no wonder Mrs May keeps stressing the importance of security cooperation with our European neighbours......IIRC the Belgian Police said they got more info from British sources than they did their own Secret Service after the Paris attacks.....
  • Options
    AnorakAnorak Posts: 6,621
    edited October 2016
    Indigo said:

619 said:

Indigo said:

Pong said:

PlatoSaid said:

JackW said:

JackW said:

Possibly you could explain how this was given as advice from a senior member of a progressive polling organisation to a political strategist and head of a democratic PAC. I am sure both must be completely ignorant of how polling works.
    Can you explain in words of one syllable why oversampling is bad. Surely the larger the sample, the better the result? The totals are adjusted to match the electorate whatever the sample mix happens to be.

For example: The article advises oversampling hispanics in some regions to "maximise what we get out of the media polling". Surely getting the most out of polling (by, say, understanding a crucial demographic in more detail) is the whole point of it!

Or are you just going to call me a fool, too?
  • Options
    ParistondaParistonda Posts: 1,819
    Indigo said:

Well well well

How very odd. It may or may not be unlawful for the UK, in what way is Australia bound by the provisions of the Lisbon and Maastricht Treaties ?

Perhaps the EU has applied pressure to Oz. They could still be dragged into any court issue even if they are not accused of any wrongdoing personally.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

His model should close down as we approach the election. The fact it doesn't suggests less maths and more people input. I think the HuffPo is slightly the opposite, sometimes we discover a black swan.
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

It can't be an accident - but today I'm getting a load of tweets under the meme #TheHoodForTrump

It's all video of Blacks and Hispanics - inc celebrity endorsements from 50 Cents et al. I've seen a few big attitude videos before - but nothing like this.

Greg Hilliard
    As a Black Man from the Streets, Im trying EVERYTHING to get this mesage VIRAL. Please share this

#TheHoodForTrump

https://t.co/4Mpv4zQKzh

Yeah, not a chance.
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

PlatoSaid said:

JackW said:

JackW said:

What I find touching is that PB reverts to polling-is-almost-infallible. It's been wrong many times and still it's used as some Delphic data source.
    Clinton's lead is so clear cut though that the pollsters wouldn't just have to be "wrong" for Trump to win they'd have to have a complete and utter catastrophe to the point where they might as well just give up and go home.

It would be the polling disaster to end all polling disasters... On a par with that Populus "Eve Of Referendum" poll giving REMAIN a 10% lead! :open_mouth:
  • Options

Indigo said:

Well well well

Perhaps the EU has applied pressure to Oz. They could still be dragged into any court issue even if they are not accused of any wrongdoing personally.
    Also, playing nice with large trading blocs is the diplomatic thing to do, regardless of the strict legalities of a particular issue!!
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

Michael Moore on Trump voters - he gets it very well. NSFW

Jared Wyand
    If you make this go viral, Trump will win. It's 4 minutes that makes the choice in this election crystal clear.

#EarlyVoting https://t.co/UOgqSfet6a

Powerful stuff from Moore. Devastating in fact.
  • Options

Indigo said:

Well well well

It's more likely that the Commission has sent a message to Australia saying that if they enter into talks with the UK then any talks with the EU will get off to a bad start. Given how poorly CETA is going, I doubt this will make much difference in the end.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited October 2016
    Pulpstar said:

He certainly has a very fat tail to his distribution (on both sides) compared with everyone else. You probably saw the earlier link to his article explaining why:

http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/election-update-why-our-model-is-more-bullish-than-others-on-trump/

My own view is that he's over-doing it. He has a 4.2% chance of Hillary getting over 450 ECVs. Is that really a 23-1 shot?

Edit: I agree with @TheWhiteRabbit that the Huff model (and also the NYT and Princeton models) are under-estimating the chances of outlier results, but I think Nate is over-estimating them.
  • Options
    Anorak said:

Indigo said:

619 said:

Indigo said:

Pong said:

PlatoSaid said:

JackW said:

JackW said:

Can you explain in words of one syllable why oversampling is bad. Surely the larger the sample, the better the result? The totals are adjusted to match the electorate whatever the sample mix happens to be.

For example: The article advises oversampling hispanics in some regions to "maximise what we get out of the media polling". Surely getting the most out of polling (by, say, understanding a crucial demographic in more detail) is the whole point of it!

Try writing that post in words of one syllable if you're going to challenge someone else to. Such a stupid phrase.
  • Options
    Anorak said:

Indigo said:

Well well well

Also, playing nice with large trading blocs is the diplomatic thing to do, regardless of the strict legalities of a particular issue!!
    Basically, but in a post-CETA failure world the EU will matter a lot less in global trade terms. If the EU can't get CETA through in the next year or so they may as well close up shop to the outside world.
  • Options
    I can't quite believe it has taken this long to emerge, but you are welcome to the birth of a new PB meme that will be hated even more than oh, wait...

I am proud to present...

BrWRECKSit !!!

How AWESOME is that?
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

PlatoSaid said:

PlatoSaid said:

JackW said:

JackW said:

Clinton's lead is so clear cut though that the pollsters wouldn't just have to be "wrong" for Trump to win they'd have to have a complete and utter catastrophe to the point where they might as well just give up and go home.

It would be the polling disaster to end all polling disasters... On a par with that Populus "Eve Of Referendum" poll giving REMAIN a 10% lead! :open_mouth:
    It's a good job that the polls have been so reliable recently then.
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

PlatoSaid said:

JackW said:

JackW said:

http://ukpollingreport.co.uk/blog/archives/9772

Anthony Wells was quite interesting on this yesterday.

TL;DR - polling wasn't that wrong on the EURef, but the media ignored it. It was wrong on GE2015 due to sample error. It could be wrong on WH2016 but 'could be' =/= 'is'.
  • Options
    corporealcorporeal Posts: 2,549
    Indigo said:

There's two parts to balancing polling, sampling and weighting. Sampling is who you talk to, weighting is how much you pay attention to their responses (so for example if your sample's male-female ratio is out of whack you weight it to even it out).

Polls can look at a lot of things, or rather you can get one dataset of responses and draw several bits of info from it.

If you're doing a representative poll anyway, then you could also as part of that get information on what a particular group is doing. But you need a decent sample size for that group. So you ask the pollster to oversample group x while they're doing their phone calls.

At the end you have a dataset with enough of group x responses to analyse that group on its own, then for your representative poll you downweight their responses back in line with the demographics.

It's a way of getting more info by using overlapping datasets for separate analyses.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

I can't quite believe it has taken this long to emerge, but you are welcome to the birth of a new PB meme that will be hated even more than oh, wait...

I am proud to present...

BrWRECKSit !!!

How AWESOME is that?

Sounds lisping and silly, appropriately.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,291
    Ed Stone and Pink Bus might be 2 problems for Labour, but are the Tories also be lined up for fines?

https://twitter.com/MrHarryCole/status/790856397558800384
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

I am proud to present...

BrWRECKSit !!!

How AWESOME is that?

Channeling Roy Orbison and Jackie Wilson - How about BrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrWRECKSit?
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

I am proud to present...

BrWRECKSit !!!

How AWESOME is that?

Wow!

A first original thought! Did mummy help...? ;)
  • Options
    Essexit said:

PlatoSaid said:

PlatoSaid said:

JackW said:

JackW said:

TL;DR - polling wasn't that wrong on the EURef, but the media ignored it. It was wrong on GE2015 due to sample error. It could be wrong on WH2016 but 'could be' =/= 'is'.
    That's interesting. The samples used by the one's with Trump in a better position seem to be wrong ( For example, weighing that one black Trump voter * 30 in the LA times poll). We will see in 2 weeks soon, but I repeat, the polls look bad overall for Trump, the ground game is non-existent, the campaign aren't acting like they are winning ( Conway's tweet and Pence having to go to Utrah for example) and early voting seems to slightly favour the Dems.

its not a sure thing, but in terms of likelihood, Clinton is the massive favourite.
  • Options

A first original thought!

It was on Twitter...
  • Options
    @tnewtondunn: Zac Goldsmith latest: no immediate resignation this afternoon, speaking to constituents first. Statement this evening.
  • Options
    dr_spyn said:

Ed Stone and Pink Bus might be 2 problems for Labour, but are the Tories also be lined up for fines?

The pink bus was kosher, it seems:

Labour’s infamous pink bus, which toured the country speaking to female voters, was also investigated by the commission, which found that all its spend was in order.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/oct/25/labour-fined-20000-for-undeclared-election-spending-including-for-ed-stone
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

@tnewtondunn: Zac Goldsmith latest: no immediate resignation this afternoon, speaking to constituents first. Statement this evening.

Zak's not going to bottle it is he?
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,797
    Indigo said:

Well well well

It does sound odd. I suppose if the UK is bound by those laws, Australia wouldn't have anyone competent to negotiate with. More importantly, and I think this is the real reason for delay, Australia will want good arrangements from their point of view with both the rEU and the UK. They will want to know how the post-Brexit settlement pans out before committing themselves, I suspect. For instance, their main trading interest for the UK deal is selling Australian services to us. Depending on what the UK gets from the EU in terms of services that will inform what they want from us.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

A first original thought!

It was on Twitter...
    SO
    THE
    ANSWER
    WOZ...?
  • Options

Scott_P said:

I am proud to present...

BrWRECKSit !!!

How AWESOME is that?

Sounds lisping and silly, appropriately.
    He'll cwy and cwy and cwy until the meanie bwecksit people say they love the EU!
  • Options
    Unusually, over the past 24 hours the number of ECVs forecast by Sporting and by Nate Silver for each of the two candidates have moved in OPPOSITE directions:

POTUS Countdown (24 hr changes)

Sporting Index Mid-Spreads:

Clinton 330 (+5) Trump 207 (-6)

538.com Predictions:

Clinton 339 (-2) Trump 198 (+2)

Do either of them actually know what's happening?
  • Options
    Indigo said:

Perhaps they are bound by WTO agreements not to do separate deals with EU members?
  • Options
    619 said:

Essexit said:

PlatoSaid said:

PlatoSaid said:

JackW said:

JackW said:

That's interesting. The samples used by the one's with Trump in a better position seem to be wrong ( For example, weighing that one black Trump voter * 30 in the LA times poll). We will see in 2 weeks soon, but I repeat, the polls look bad overall for Trump, the ground game is non-existent, the campaign aren't acting like they are winning ( Conway's tweet and Pence having to go to Utrah for example) and early voting seems to slightly favour the Dems.

its not a sure thing, but in terms of likelihood, Clinton is the massive favourite.
    Agree - the sampling error line would be more potent if there were evidence of a Trump ground game to register and motivate these voters. Who knows, there could be enough of them, registered and slipping under the radar, but probably not.
  • Options
    Mr. Gin, aye, Trump is two women short of a threesome. But Clinton would be in prison if she had a different surname.

As I've said before, I'd probably want to be in Utah so I could vote for someone who wasn't either of them.
  • Options

Indigo said:

Perhaps they are bound by WTO agreements not to do separate deals with EU members?
    That makes a bit of sense. Australia may not be able to enter a MFN agreement with another WTO member while its WTO representation is a bit murky.
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    corporeal said:

There's two parts to balancing polling, sampling and weighting. Sampling is who you talk to, weighting is how much you pay attention to their responses (so for example if your sample's male-female ratio is out of whack you weight it to even it out).

Polls can look at a lot of things, or rather you can get one dataset of responses and draw several bits of info from it.

If you're doing a representative poll anyway, then you could also as part of that get information on what a particular group is doing. But you need a decent sample size for that group. So you ask the pollster to oversample group x while they're doing their phone calls.

At the end you have a dataset with enough of group x responses to analyse that group on its own, then for your representative poll you downweight their responses back in line with the demographics.

It's a way of getting more info by using overlapping datasets for separate analyses.

I don't disagree with any of that, but the panel survey experience from 2015 has shown us that you can't realistically deskew an unrepresentative sample, especially given how rubbish people seem to be at recalling who they voted for last time around so past-vote weighting seems precarious at best. Also if you have a biased sample you have to be able to deskew it on all the factors that bias that sample, and you don't know what most of those are (particularly the case with political polling which is largely self-selected, and you dont know why that person chose to take part in your survey - how do you control for "political obsessiveness" for example)

Also if one were a "progressive" polling and research organisation looking to ramp your prefered candidate, oversampling demographics known to be sympathetic to your candidate and then not controlling for that demographic (eg, weighting by race) would give you the sort of result you wanted whilst looking innocuous.
  • Options
    edited October 2016

Unusually, over the past 24 hours the number of ECVs forecast by Sporting and by Nate Silver for each of the two candidates have moved in OPPOSITE directions:

POTUS Countdown (24 hr changes)

Sporting Index Mid-Spreads:

Clinton 330 (+5) Trump 207 (-6)

538.com Predictions:

Clinton 339 (-2) Trump 198 (+2)

Do either of them actually know what's happening?

Not sure, I've happily done my dealing on the spreads though - pleasing when Spreadex and SPIN take somewhat opposing views. A nice potential £90 free McMullin bonus too.
  • Options

Indigo said:

Well yeah, nobody is going to "sign on the dotted line" until we leave... But we're really just talking about having regular chats over tea and biscuits?
  • Options

Anorak said:

Indigo said:

619 said:

Indigo said:

Pong said:

PlatoSaid said:

JackW said:

JackW said:

Try writing that post in words of one syllable if you're going to challenge someone else to. Such a stupid phrase.
    As a fool would know, the phrase means "to say in a way that is a cinch to get".

Use of that phrase is a way to get that thought in your thick head.

Happy? (sorry, two syllables in that last word)
  • Options
    New NBC/Survey Monkey national tracking poll:

2-way:
    Clinton 50
    Trump 44

4-way:
    Clinton 46
    Trump 41

https://t.co/QRe53FrcaN
This discussion has been closed.