Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » New YouGov polling on what would happen if there was no UKIP

124»

Comments

• Options
    MrsBMrsB Posts: 574
    GeoffM said:

ToryJim said:

619 said:
    Any news on the gender of the remaining 1.4%?
    There is such a thing as gender non-binary ;)
    No there isn't.
    It's just brain damage and needs treatment.
    Yes there is. Refusal to recognise it won't make it go away. It just makes you appear a bit of a bellend bigot.
  • Options
    MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034

MTimT said:

Sounds like the Canadians are mighty pissed off at the EU right now. The sooner we can negotiate our own trade deals, the better.

Or we may end up in same situation. Gone from Single Market and no way back in thanks to a veto from Ruritania.
    Indeed, that is a non-trivial risk. But it would be hard for any European parliament to argue that the deal the UK would get would make us more competitive, and hence more of a threat to their way of life, than our previous arrangement. Doesn't mean they wouldn't try, but it would not be true.

Probably the biggest risk to any free trade deal post Brexit is where arbitration would be done. Clearly a deal between the EU and UK could/should not use the ECJ.

But all of the above does not, for me, add up to doom and gloom about Brexit, quite the contrary. If the EU has got to the stage where it is unable to deliver additional free trade deals, whereas the rest of the world continues to make new deals, the relative benefits of being inside the single market are much reduced.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    edited October 2016
    Pulpstar said:

619 said:

Indigo said:

taffys said:

A small percentage of the overall voting public in the USA.

Maybe. But you can see how this is going. If Trump loses, the Repubs will be told that if only, if only they had selected someone more appealing to the centre, more appealing to the swing voter, the minority voter, that would get them over the line.

And they will probably do that. And then they'll lose again.

What they need is a more credible American nationalist who doesn't completely disdain Trump's platform. A Putin to Trump's Zhirinovsky.
    Pence ? He seems pretty sensible, handles himself well on the TV, and has no obvious skeletons in the closet. I am sure he will find a way to disown Trump's shortcoming as personality issues rather than problems with the platform, using the opportunity to tiptoe away from the more stupid bits of the platform. He can then spend three years touring blue collar areas and showing everyone his nationalist awakening from his former machine republican image.
    Maybe, but he has pretty extreme abortion views which won't help him women.
    So did Rubio, and he was ahead in all the polling against Hillary.
    Pence passed a law forcing women who miscarried (or had an abortion) to hold a funeral. 8 weeks pregnant and miscarried? Got to scoop those collection of cells up and pay for a funeral.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Indigo said:

I've long ago given up enquiring of supermarket staff whether they have a particular item, only to be told immediately and unequivocally that they are out of stock - like they have a perfect photographic memory of every last item held in the back of the store.

The answer to that is mostly close to nothing. With just-in-time fulfilment most modern supermarkets turned their backroom stores into retail spaces. Now they tend to transmit off to their data centre whatever has been sold that day at say 6pm, by about midnight a truck is on the road with exactly what is required to restock the shelves to full again plus a few extras based on data analysis, like a few extra fans if hot weather is forecast. Then by 5-6am the shelves are fully restocked for the next day. Ergo in most cases, if it isnt on the shelf, unless its in the early hours of the morning, they really dont have it.
    Exactly. The delivery trucks are now the "back room".
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341

MTimT said:

Sounds like the Canadians are mighty pissed off at the EU right now. The sooner we can negotiate our own trade deals, the better.

Or we may end up in same situation. Gone from Single Market and no way back in thanks to a veto from Ruritania.
    Telling irrelevant trading partners that , 'no, they can't send all their people over' and rolling our eyes in utter bemusement at the fact a Belgian parish council can disrupt a continent's trade deals?

I sincerely hope so.

The EU is last century.
  • Options
    MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034
    Remembering Aberfan, 50 years ago today. It was the first time that I really didn't understand the news - how could a mountain move - and had to have my parents explain it to me.

Wonderful touching tribute at http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/queens-personal-message-people-aberfan-12061242
  • Options
    NoEasyDayNoEasyDay Posts: 454
    MTimT said:

Remembering Aberfan, 50 years ago today. It was the first time that I really didn't understand the news - how could a mountain move - and had to have my parents explain it to me.

Wonderful touching tribute at http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/queens-personal-message-people-aberfan-12061242

I was four a the time, but I have this strange recollection of it, how ? i can only assume that over the years my parents and others talked of it. And it seeped into my memory.

Read the full story of it this afternoon for the first time. What a tale of arrogance,stupidity and
    of course ultimately tragedy.
This discussion has been closed.