Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » A rather subdued speech by TMay which did not have much sub

Comments

• Options
    Jobabob said:

Jobabob said:

MaxPB said:

Always amusing when a tedious troll who helped topple a Tory MP tells me, who has helped elect several Tory MPs, that I'm a TINO.
    So when are you going to sod off and join the Europhiles in the LibDems?
    I'm staying. I didn't bugger off when the IDS lot took control, I stayed and fought, and changed my party for the better.

I'll do it again.
    Who do we back to get rid of our Gordon, though? I'm begginning to warm to George.
    I had a very interesting discussion yesterday with someone yesterday about that, it touches on Brexit on how Mrs May gets toppled in the next year.

It can happen.
    A challenge from Ozzy would be fun indeed.
    The challenge won't be from Ozzy, though he could be the beneficiary.
    As long as it is from that wing of the party – the classical liberals, I'll be relatively happy. I'm beginning to find May's 'pal of the WWC', statist, 'anti-elite', anti-foreigner, 'common sense' rhetoric just a little bit sinister...
    It is entirely possible the toppling comes from the Tombstone group.

Consider these factors

1) On Sunday Mrs May spoke about a hard Brexit and her team briefed about no special dispensation/protection post Brexit for the financial services, banking, and City of London (hereafter known as FSBCL)

2) FSBCL contributes around £60 billion per annum to the Treasury in direct taxes

3) Approximately 65% of Tory donors are/have interests in FSBCL companies

Now if she cedes protection FSBCL for allowing free movement post Brexit, the Tombstone will try and topple her.

If she screws FSBCL, she faces a donors' strike and a £60 billion p.a. black hole in the Treasury coffers, both of which make it more likely that she is toppled.

Just imagine £60 billion pounds worth of cuts..
  • Options
    PlatoSaidPlatoSaid Posts: 10,383
    Hmm

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/london/city-hall-official-quits-in-wake-of-police-probe-over-hatefilled-tweets-to-mps-a3361356.html

Greg Taylor, the Principal Government Relations Officer in the Mayor’s office, is understood to have been interviewed under caution by Lancashire police

• Options
    JobabobJobabob Posts: 3,807
    SeanT said:

Some interesting assessments in the Guardian:

Cameron believed, first and foremost, in business. His was the hedge fund premiership, the friend of global capitalism. He was our CEO, not our PM. And make no mistake: that’s the reason – the only reason – he wanted to stay in the EU. He knew it was the capitalist’s friend.

With Theresa May we have a prime minister back. Yes, there was a lot of rhetoric and not much policy. But the rhetoric was pro-government, centre-left, red Tory. For the vicar’s daughter, the community comes first: we need our politics to be “more than individualism and self interest”. And there was a thinly veiled attack on Phillip Green. Well done. None of this could have come from Dave.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/oct/05/theresa-may-speech-tory-conference-panel-verdict

That's probably the most positive ever Guardian opinion on a Tory PM's speech. lol

The Guardian loves our Brexit PM, the Spectator is in despair.
    It was extremely selective quoting by the OP...
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,415
    Didn't see the speech but didn't really need to. She is a poor public speaker who struggles to broadcast empathy or warmth but that matters a lot more to those listening to an hour of it than those who hear a sound bite on the news and the number of uncommitted in the former camp are miniscule.

Her vision of the UK is not exciting or radical or particularly different to what we have right now. But that is not necessarily a bad thing. If she can deliver reasonably competent, unflashy government she will have done more than enough to win the next election and she will have done the country some good too. Personally, I just hope some of the barking we have heard this week is louder and more dramatic than any bite.
  • Options

Jobabob said:

MaxPB said:

Always amusing when a tedious troll who helped topple a Tory MP tells me, who has helped elect several Tory MPs, that I'm a TINO.
    I'm staying. I didn't bugger off when the IDS lot took control, I stayed and fought, and changed my party for the better.

I'll do it again.
    Who do we back to get rid of our Gordon, though? I'm begginning to warm to George.
    I had a very interesting discussion yesterday with someone yesterday about that, it touches on Brexit on how Mrs May gets toppled in the next year.

It can happen.
    It's a pity the Betfair departure market on her is by quarter. A bit too precise for my tastes. But in general terms the post conference bounce polls we're about to get are the time to get on her early departure.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,793
    SeanT said:

Cameron believed, first and foremost, in business. His was the hedge fund premiership, the friend of global capitalism. He was our CEO, not our PM. And make no mistake: that’s the reason – the only reason – he wanted to stay in the EU. He knew it was the capitalist’s friend.

With Theresa May we have a prime minister back. Yes, there was a lot of rhetoric and not much policy. But the rhetoric was pro-government, centre-left, red Tory. For the vicar’s daughter, the community comes first: we need our politics to be “more than individualism and self interest”. And there was a thinly veiled attack on Phillip Green. Well done. None of this could have come from Dave.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/oct/05/theresa-may-speech-tory-conference-panel-verdict

That's probably the most positive ever Guardian opinion on a Tory PM's speech. lol

Jonathan Freedland: But it was an effective speech designed to command the territory that matters most - and where power resides.

Polly Toynbee (!): While Theresa May commands the political universe, the new centre ground is wherever she says it is.

Anne McElvoy: Mayism is a curious hybrid – in part a stolid reflection of core Tory instincts and desires: Brexit but without the pain; grammar schools, but fudging the messiness of selection at 11. But she is also someone who understands the limits of the free-market worldview, and how unsettling many voters find it.
  • Options
    IndigoIndigo Posts: 9,966

So every single dollar, pound and euro of finance business will go overseas ? Including the substantial bits of it that are completely unaffected by passporting and the like ? Hyperbole much ?
  • Options

Jobabob said:

Jobabob said:

MaxPB said:

I'll do it again.

It can happen.
    As long as it is from that wing of the party – the classical liberals, I'll be relatively happy. I'm beginning to find May's 'pal of the WWC', statist, 'anti-elite', anti-foreigner, 'common sense' rhetoric just a little bit sinister...

Consider these factors

1) On Sunday Mrs May spoke about a hard Brexit and her team briefed about no special dispensation/protection post Brexit for the financial services, banking, and City of London (hereafter known as FSBCL)

2) FSBCL contributes around £60 billion per annum to the Treasury in direct taxes

Now if she cedes protection FSBCL for allowing free movement post Brexit, the Tombstone will try and topple her.

If she screws FSBCL, she faces a donors' strike and a £60 billion p.a. black hole in the Treasury coffers, both of which make it more likely that she is toppled.

Toppled by the right? Superseded by the left.

The perfect storm.
  • Options
    MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034
    The demographics thing is a total red herring. Based on the demographics, the GOP should never had even had a shot this time around, rather than only losing because they chose Trump.

With demographic changes come other social shifts and rebalancing. So far, the reaction to 'demographics' has been for the WWC to shift from Dem to GOP column. What will the next shift be and when will it happen? Who knows. I just know that if you rely on demographic, you're liable to be disappointed.
    Alistair said:

MaxPB said:

Alistair said:

Fun 2012 Election fact.

Obama won by a 'dominant' 332 to 206 margin.

It would have taken just 0.4% of Dem voters (263,875 people) to have voted Republican to have given Romeny the win.

If the GOP had a better candidate they would easily have won. I think the problem for the Dems doesn't go away with Trump though. The underlying issue of fewer Americans than ever feeling the benefits of the economy doesn't go away for the Dems and Clinton definitely isn't going to solve the problem. A better GOP candidate should walk it in 2020.
    4 more years of Demographics ticking away against the GOP in it's current form.

The GOP produced a startlingly forthright report into what went wrong in 2012 (failing to appeal to Hispanics being a key finding) and they managed to pick the Mexicans-are-rapists candidate this time round.

As I said I thought they have 2016 as a lock but I'm not so sure about 2020 even with a non-disaster as candidate.
  • Options
    JohnLilburneJohnLilburne Posts: 6,017
    edited October 2016

Re Cycling: As a confirmed pedestrian I'd always been pro cyclist. I saw them as kindred spirits. An enemy of my enemy at least. Then I spent 3 years in London. They are an ill disciplined menace. An extraordinary sense of entitlement. I was quite shocked.

I have nearly been taken out a couple of times by cyclists who haven't stopped at crossings - when cars have, which is quite a clue that someone is in fact crossing. Amusingly one was subsequently stopped by a police car, which was one of the cars stopped at the crossing he hadn't noticed. I was also narrowly missed once by a cyclist turning the wrong way into a one-way street. I don't actually mind cyclists doing this, but you should proceed in such a way that you can avoid hazards. I have noticed that cyclists often to not back off as they approach a hazard. But to contradict Patrick, a road is in fact a shared environment - every road user us generally entitled to use it, cyclists, pedestrians, motor vehicles, horses etc
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,081
    MaxPB said:

Pulpstar said:

MaxPB said:

Theresa May's calculation is that the red-in-tooth-and-claw free market economics of the 1980s, that worked so well then, might not be working quite so well now and Conservatives have to ditch unadulterated dogmatic worship of markets and lead reform of capitalism instead, where it has notably failed at the human level, if free market economics are to survive.

In this, I think she is correct.

Reforming the free market doesn't require the state to expand to a stage where it rivals the size of China or Scandinavian countries.
    http://www.theglobaleconomy.com/China/Government_size/

Chinese spending around 13% of gdp, ours is around 20ish !

http://www.theglobaleconomy.com/United-Kingdom/Government_size/
    That's definitely not right. Ours is about 36% according to the government stats!
    I think that's tax take as a percentage of GDP. Government spending in 2015 was 43.2% of GDP.
  • Options

SeanT said:

Jonathan Freedland: But it was an effective speech designed to command the territory that matters most - and where power resides.

Polly Toynbee (!): While Theresa May commands the political universe, the new centre ground is wherever she says it is.

Anne McElvoy: Mayism is a curious hybrid – in part a stolid reflection of core Tory instincts and desires: Brexit but without the pain; grammar schools, but fudging the messiness of selection at 11. But she is also someone who understands the limits of the free-market worldview, and how unsettling many voters find it.
    Again, very selective quoting there (a problem generally PB)
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    The obvious stalking horse whenever Theresa May eventually comes to be challenged is surely Michael Gove. Who else?
  • Options

The obvious stalking horse whenever Theresa May eventually comes to be challenged is surely Michael Gove. Who else?

What is Gove?
    Baby don't hurt me
    Don't hurt me
    No more
  • Options
    Indigo said:

So every single dollar, pound and euro of finance business will go overseas ? Including the substantial bits of it that are completely unaffected by passporting and the like ? Hyperbole much ?
    That's not what I said, it is the anticipation rather than the actualité.
  • Options

Jobabob said:

Jobabob said:

MaxPB said:

I'll do it again.

It can happen.

Consider these factors

Yet more REMAIN scaremongering from PB's resident TINO!

:trollface:
  • Options

The Tory leadership rules don't allow a stalking horse anymore.

15% of the Parliamentary party has to write a letter of no confidence to Graham Brady.

There's a vote of confidence, if Mrs May loses, there's a leadership election and Mrs May is barred from standing (take note Labour)
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,004

Re Cycling: As a confirmed pedestrian I'd always been pro cyclist. I saw them as kindred spirits. An enemy of my enemy at least. Then I spent 3 years in London. They are an ill disciplined menace. An extraordinary sense of entitlement. I was quite shocked.

I have nearly been taken out a couple of times by cyclists who haven't stopped at crossings - when cars have, which is quite a clue that someone is in fact crossing. Amusingly one was subsequently stopped by a police car, which was one of the cars stopped at the crossing he hadn't noticed. I was also narrowly missed once by a cyclist turning the wrong way into a one-way street. I don't actually mind cyclists doing this, but you should proceed in such a way that you can avoid hazards. I have noticed that cyclists often to not back off as they approach a hazard. But to contradict Patrick, a road is in fact a shared environment - every road user us generally entitled to use it, cyclists, pedestrians, motor vehicles, horses etc
    Instant karmic gratification like that is rare. I hope you enjoyed it!
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    Apparently Le Pen likes Tezza's speech
  • Options
    FT:

Theresa May’s speech: oratory to redefine the centre ground
    Triathlon champions and push-button rhetoric help PM cross the finishing line with triumph

http://tinyurl.com/hl6lhds
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,729
    He doesn't have to have a by-election. The last one was just a UKIP stunt.
  • Options
    Jobabob said:

SeanT said:

Again, very selective quoting there (a problem generally PB)
    Unless we are selective OGH gets letters from lawyers. The link is there for anyone to read the whole article.....
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Apparently Le Pen likes Tezza's speech

What else does she like so I can avoid it in the future? Whiskers on kittens, perhaps? :D
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,005
    Jobabob said:

Jobabob said:

Jobabob said:

MaxPB said:

I'll do it again.

It can happen.

Consider these factors

Toppled by the right? Superseded by the left.

The perfect storm.
    I think that's wishful thinking.
  • Options
    edited October 2016

I think he could sit as an independent without a by-election, but not after re-joining the Tories.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,109

Worst cyclist anecdote: walking along the pavement, and coming to a 90-degree bend at a road junction. Two trees sit in the pavement at the corner, blocking the view. A cyclist comes along, going for the gap where I was walking. He was clenching a mobile phone to his ear, and had a child in a seat on the back of his bike.

Worst bus anecdote: whilst walking in the east of Scotland one afternoon, a double-decker bus passes me - a school bus. I step onto the verge, and as the bus passes, a bottle smashed on the road right beside me thrown from a top window.
  • Options
    SpeedySpeedy Posts: 12,100

15% of the Parliamentary party has to write a letter of no confidence to Graham Brady.

There's a vote of confidence, if Mrs May loses, there's a leadership election and Mrs May is barred from standing (take note Labour)
    I see TSE is planning to overthrow Theresa May already.

Get ready for the transformation of this site into an anti-May one from anti-Corbyn one, with endless articles of how May is like Hannibal ect ect and how great the LD are.
  • Options
    Guido reports

"The Electoral Commission have confirmed that Diane James never officially became UKIP leader as there were ‘issues’ with the signing of the leadership form. Apparently she added “V.C.” to the signature which stands for “Vi coactus” or “under duress”.

Anyone come across a V.C, situation before.

Why sign in the first place if under duress?
  • Options
    TCPoliticalBettingTCPoliticalBetting Posts: 10,819
    edited October 2016
    Speedy said:

Get ready for the transformation of this site into an anti-May one from anti-Corbyn one, with endless articles of how May is like Hannibal ect ect and how great the LD are.
    :joy::joy::joy:
  • Options

Guido reports

"The Electoral Commission have confirmed that Diane James never officially became UKIP leader as there were ‘issues’ with the signing of the leadership form. Apparently she added “V.C.” to the signature which stands for “Vi coactus” or “under duress”.

I'm guessing that UKIP put a clause in that she disagreed with. If it was a standard EC form, then there's one heck of an interesting story lurking in the background.
  • Options
    Prospect on May:

The turmoil engulfing the other parties is fortunate for May. Politicians who become prime minister mid-term often fare badly—rankings of post-war prime ministers regularly position those who took over mid-term towards the bottom of the list (Macmillan is the only exception). Lacking a personal mandate and facing problems left by their predecessors, mid-term prime ministers can quickly look stale. But May used Brexit to cast herself as a change-maker. Conservative leaders have often attempted to do this, but rather than the showy liberalism of Tory modernisers, May’s appeal for a new social contract was offered as an alternative to the pro-EU values of the financial and cultural elites. The bumpy road to Brexit will test this vision but it was a bold early statement of intent.

http://www.prospectmagazine.co.uk/politics/theresa-mays-statement-of-intent-conservative-party-conference
  • Options
    Speedy said:

Ect, ect?

Sounds like a quote from the classics.
  • Options
    Ishmael_XIshmael_X Posts: 3,664

Guido reports

vi coacta in this instance

wiki: "The term is sometimes used on medical prescriptions, especially on opiates, when they are given under duress; i.e. the patient forcing the doctor to write the prescription." Which seems surpassingly odd, you'd have thought the doctor would just refuse.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vi_coactus
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Not to add to the gloom, but have a guess at the identity of one of David Davis' aides in the Department for Brexit?

Yes, Stewart Jackson MP.

Given how charming, persuasive and cleverly emollient he was when he was a PB contributor, that should mean we get the best deal possible from the EU, who will be totally bowled over.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-10-05/u-k-has-four-red-lines-in-eu-brexit-talks-davis-aide-says

Who picks these clowns?

Oh yes, it's Theresa May.
  • Options
    The dildo has launched!

And it looks as though they haven't lost the booster either!
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Not to add to the gloom, but have a guess at the identity of one of David Davis' aides in the Department for Brexit?

Yes, Stewart Jackson MP.

Given how charming, persuasive and cleverly emollient he was when he was a PB contributor, that should mean we get the best deal possible from the EU, who will be totally bowled over.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-10-05/u-k-has-four-red-lines-in-eu-brexit-talks-davis-aide-says

Sadly, your <sarcasm> </sarcasm> tags don't show in most browsers.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,154

Guido reports

Bookies gonna want their money back?
  • Options

Guido reports

How do get someone to stand for party leader under duress???
  • Options
    Speedy said:

Don't talk bollocks. This site isn't anti-Corbyn. We can only reflect on what the polls and the vast majority of Labour MPs think of Corbyn.

Though, I have written pro Corbyn pieces on PB, one of which really delighted the Corbynites.

http://www2.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2016/08/30/in-praise-of-jeremy-corbyn/
  • Options
    Speedy said:

Transformation?

It already is the anti-May site - but tbh I don't think former Lib Dems like OGH, or Public School Osbornites like TSE were really the target audience for her speech...so if it went over their heads, that's understandable.....

Which leader had the best conference?
  • Options

He who is kept from the crown often wields the knife.
  • Options
    Ooh

Alex Wickham
    Steven Woolfe met with several top Tories over last few weeks and was close to defecting, before vacancy arose: https://t.co/KA1VQhdvX4
  • Options

Jobabob said:

Jobabob said:

MaxPB said:

I'll do it again.

It can happen.

Consider these factors

Yawn
  • Options
    ThreeQuidderThreeQuidder Posts: 6,133
    Patrick said:

Sean_F said:

taffys said:

May's philosophy amounts to a kind of headmistress whack-a-mole management that keeps the Daily Mail headline writers sweet.

I did laugh at the way 'May savages liberal elite' was juxtaposed with 'Cycle lane lunacy! The new blight paralysing Britain.'

A new crackdown on cyclists can't be far off.

taffys said:

May's philosophy amounts to a kind of headmistress whack-a-mole management that keeps the Daily Mail headline writers sweet.

I did laugh at the way 'May savages liberal elite' was juxtaposed with 'Cycle lane lunacy! The new blight paralysing Britain.'

A new crackdown on cyclists can't be far off.
    A crackdown on cyclists (preferably banning them from roads) would be admirable.
    Maybe we should simply recognise that cyclists are now major road users and licence / tax them as we do other road users??? They get to behave like arseholes because they get it for free.
    Now, be fair. It's only the 90% who give the rest a bad name.
  • Options

Yes, that's a good system which Labour would do well to emulate.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,631

MaxPB said:

I'll do it again.

It can happen.
    Colour me intrigued, I've had no indication of plotting just yet, but I'm not really clued up with the senior Cameroons.
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    PlatoSaid said:

Ooh

Alex Wickham
    Steven Woolfe met with several top Tories over last few weeks and was close to defecting, before vacancy arose: https://t.co/KA1VQhdvX4

Bloomberg has an interview with Stewart Jackson MP on Britain's red lines ahead of negotiations. They are pretty much what UKIP would have wanted. No payments. No ECJ. full control of immigration.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

I'll do it again.

It can happen.
    Colour me intrigued, I've had no indication of plotting just yet, but I'm not really clued up with the senior Cameroons.
    See my post at 4.06pm, it wasn't a Cameroon who I had the conversation with, but someone who campaigned for Leave (He always wanted an EEA/EFTA type of Brexit)
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

I'll do it again.

It can happen.
    Brexit is a can of worms, and Theresa has to open it at some stage.
  • Options
  • Options
    @Patrick

Most/many cyclists are also motorists who therefore do not get the roads for free, but pay road tax just like other motorists.

Indeed their net use of road space is far less than those motorists who only ever drive and never cycle or walk (I know many who flinch at a five-minute walk to the bloody shops).

Ergo many cyclists are net contributors to the road tax pot.
  • Options

Jobabob said:

Jobabob said:

MaxPB said:

I'll do it again.

It can happen.

Consider these factors

I've just read that. My can of worms analogy was far too timid, maybe a barrel of snakes.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

That indescribably evil, virtually genocidal Amber Rudd scheme to get the SS to monitor all foreign workers in British firms, and count them....

the Americans have been doing it for years

http://www.myvisajobs.com/Reports/2016-H1B-Visa-Sponsor.aspx

https://nevercruelnorcowardly.com/2016/10/05/theresa-mays-britain-disgraceful-unpatriotic-and-openly-racist/

Britain is apparently being transformed into 1930's Germany. The author plainly believes that no argument can ever be sufficiently overhyped.
  • Options
    taffys said:

PlatoSaid said:

Ooh

Alex Wickham

Bloomberg has an interview with Stewart Jackson MP on Britain's red lines ahead of negotiations. They are pretty much what UKIP would have wanted. No payments. No ECJ. full control of immigration.
    And pretty much what May has been saying....
  • Options
    "I’ve tried to go out of my way at this conference to seek out those Conservatives who were Remainers during the referendum. I didn’t expect them to be happy about the result, but I did want to try to gauge their mood – were they angry, or dispirited, or intent on fighting on?

To my pleasant surprise, while there was understandably some lingering hurt I found very little full-on negativity, beyond the few individuals one regularly sees on television rejecting the outcome. Far more common was the view that even if it wasn’t what they wanted, they still wanted to make the best of it; others were keen to emphasise that they had been reluctant Remainers at best, and therefore it hadn’t been too hard to adjust to the idea of Leaving; some expressed genuine anger, not at Eurosceptics but fellow Remainers who seemed intent on trying to Remain regardless.

http://www.conservativehome.com/thetorydiary/2016/10/the-conservative-party-the-practiced-political-survivor-adapts-again.html
  • Options
    RobD said:

I think he could sit as an independent without a by-election, but not after re-joining the Tories.
    Of course he could sit with the Tories just like Cameron's Witney predecessor sat with Labour for years which he would not have done had he needed a by-election!
  • Options
    Jobabob said:

Jobabob said:

Jobabob said:

MaxPB said:

I'll do it again.

It can happen.

Consider these factors

Yawn
    Watching the cricket, are we? :lol:
  • Options

Speedy said:

Transformation?

It already is the anti-May site - but tbh I don't think former Lib Dems like OGH, or Public School Osbornites like TSE were really the target audience for her speech...so if it went over their heads, that's understandable.....

Which leader had the best conference?
    Nigel Farage.
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    ''And pretty much what May has been saying....''

Theresa WANTS those four million kippers. And she wants them BAD...
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,154
    edited October 2016

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

I'll do it again.

It can happen.
    See my post at 4.06pm, it wasn't a Cameroon who I had the conversation with, but someone who campaigned for Leave (He always wanted an EEA/EFTA type of Brexit)
    Those are the ones to watch. The people who wanted Brexit but not this.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,631

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

I'll do it again.

It can happen.
    I just caught up. Very interesting.
  • Options

Consider these factors

Lesson from History:

"Something unknown happened to shake the May civilization to its foundations. One by one, the Classic cities in the southern lowlands were abandoned, and May civilization in that region had collapsed. The reason for this mysterious decline is unknown, though scholars have developed several competing theories."

Oops, that should read Mayan....

• Options
    SeanT said:

That indescribably evil, virtually genocidal Amber Rudd scheme to get the SS to monitor all foreign workers in British firms, and count them....

Top 3 Green Cards - by country:

India (46221)
    China (7110)
    South Korea (5774)

Do they have to wear special badges like some Remain Deniers were suggesting this morning?
  • Options

RobD said:

Of course he could sit with the Tories just like Cameron's Witney predecessor sat with Labour for years which he would not have done had he needed a by-election!
    Why would the Tories want Carswell back? I'm far from disliking him, but he could only cause trouble within the party. Even better, if he remains within UKIP then he's causing *them* trouble within their party!

Not trouble of his own making, admittedly. But trouble nonetheless.
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

I'll do it again.

It can happen.
    I just caught up. Very interesting.
    Dan Hannan ?
  • Options

SeanT said:

Top 3 Green Cards - by country:

India (46221)
    China (7110)
    South Korea (5774)

Do they have to wear special badges like some Remain Deniers were suggesting this morning?
    I imagine that before long the most banal comments from May will be compared to the Final Solution.
  • Options
    ThreeQuidderThreeQuidder Posts: 6,133

Worst cyclist anecdote: walking along the pavement, and coming to a 90-degree bend at a road junction. Two trees sit in the pavement at the corner, blocking the view. A cyclist comes along, going for the gap where I was walking. He was clenching a mobile phone to his ear, and had a child in a seat on the back of his bike.

Worst bus anecdote: whilst walking in the east of Scotland one afternoon, a double-decker bus passes me - a school bus. I step onto the verge, and as the bus passes, a bottle smashed on the road right beside me thrown from a top window.
    I once saw a double-decker bus being driven the wrong way down a one-way street.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

SeanT said:

https://nevercruelnorcowardly.com/2016/10/05/theresa-mays-britain-disgraceful-unpatriotic-and-openly-racist/

Britain is apparently being transformed into 1930's Germany. The author plainly believes that no argument can ever be sufficiently overhyped.
    Let these people rant away. They are standing on a very small - and very crumbly - piece of the political cliff edge.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

I'll do it again.

It can happen.
    Had a drink with a lefty, slightly Remainer friend last night. He works at the Telegraph, but in a non-journalistic way.

He's very interested in politics.

He told me that he hadn't had one single Brexit conversation since about early July. Not one. Not with his LEAVE voting wife, his 18 year old daughter, not with friends of all persuasions not with colleagues at the newspaper. Not a single discussion (apart from with me). And he interacts with smart, politically-interested people

No one really cares outside small bits of London. And on Twitter. Brexit is a total non topic, for 90% of people. Startling but true.
    Counter-anecdote: I've had, and heard, many.

Last week, in a play park, two mothers were discussing how *awful* it all was.

And this wasn't London.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,083
    Ishmael_X said:

Guido reports

wiki: "The term is sometimes used on medical prescriptions, especially on opiates, when they are given under duress; i.e. the patient forcing the doctor to write the prescription." Which seems surpassingly odd, you'd have thought the doctor would just refuse.

I’ve known GP’s who complained of being threatened with violence if they didn’t prescribe opiates. Or amphetamines.
    And I’ve known at least one GP who actually wrote the “required” prescription.

Didn’t "VC" it, but I recognised it as “wrong” and refused it.
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,554
    Sean_F said:

What gets me is that we ask companies to collate data about their workforce to monitor other issues like gender equality, and we want such data to be published because we believe transparency encourages good behaviour and reassures the public. So if we believe that companies are over-reliant on recruiting overseas it is logical that we would take a similar approach with collecting and publishing the data.

The only thing I take issue with is the "name and shame" rhetoric, the idea itself seems perfectly sound to me, and could be extended to all sorts of areas like the educational background of staff.

• Options
    For TSE's plotters:

But there is another reason why the internal opposition she faces has so far gained no traction. The Prime Minister has been a Party activist herself since university, a local councillor to boot, and Party Chairman as well as Home Secretary. She didn’t sweep grandly in and out of receptions at this conference. She stayed and chatted and mingled. She is One Of Us.

http://www.conservativehome.com/thetorydiary/2016/10/mother-theresa.html
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    edited October 2016

Ishmael_X said:

Guido reports

I’ve known GP’s who complained of being threatened with violence if they didn’t prescribe opiates. Or amphetamines.

Dr Theodore Dalrymple has written about this in his book Romancing Opiates.
  • Options

I once saw a double-decker bus being driven the wrong way down a one-way street.
    I once saw a double-decker bus being driven down Oxford Street, with the driver swigging from a can of Red Stripe....
  • Options
    surbiton said:
    The Nissan Sunderland plant produces a third of all British cars - 500,000 out of 1.5m
  • Options
    SeanT said:

SeanT said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

I'll do it again.

It can happen.
    Had a drink with a lefty, slightly Remainer friend last night. He works at the Telegraph, but in a non-journalistic way.

He's very interested in politics.

He told me that he hadn't had one single Brexit conversation since about early July. Not one. Not with his LEAVE voting wife, his 18 year old daughter, not with friends of all persuasions not with colleagues at the newspaper. Not a single discussion (apart from with me). And he interacts with smart, politically-interested people

No one really cares outside small bits of London. And on Twitter. Brexit is a total non topic, for 90% of people. Startling but true.
    Counter-anecdote: I've had, and heard, many.

Last week, in a play park, two mothers were discussing how *awful* it all was.

And this wasn't London.
    Fair enough - they must be happening. But like my friend I haven't heard one, unless I've instigated it - since about mid July
    My last was early August, I think!
  • Options

Sean_F said:

SeanT said:

Let these people rant away. They are standing on a very small - and very crumbly - piece of the political cliff edge.
    This is pure comedy gold:

"that was decided on a knife-edge – a mere 1.3 million votes"
  • Options
    glw said:

Sean_F said:

What gets me is that we ask companies to collate data about their workforce to monitor other issues like gender equality, and we want such data to be published because we believe transparency encourages good behaviour and reassures the public. So if we believe that companies are over-reliant on recruiting overseas it is logical that we would take a similar approach with collecting and publishing the data.

The only thing I take issue with is the "name and shame" rhetoric, the idea itself seems perfectly sound to me, and could be extended to all sorts of areas like the educational background of staff.

Like Paul from Bedfordshire, I'm not a fan of making companies collect sociological data, and provided they comply with the law, I don't think companies should be penalised for employing foreign workers.

But, comparing the current government with the NSDAP just proves the author is off with the fairies.
  • Options
  • Options

I once saw a double-decker bus being driven down Oxford Street, with the driver swigging from a can of Red Stripe....
    Brewed in Bedford... excellent...
  • Options

RobD said:

Why would the Tories want Carswell back? I'm far from disliking him, but he could only cause trouble within the party. Even better, if he remains within UKIP then he's causing *them* trouble within their party!

But his departure would rob UKIP of the Short money. With their Euro-gravy train soon to hit the buffers and donors departing at at rate of knots, where is their cash coming from?
  • Options
    One for Mr Dancer (and TSE!):

On this day in 610 AD, Heraclius was crowned Byzantine Emperor, having personally beheaded the previous emperor Phocas.
  • Options

RobD said:

But his departure would rob UKIP of the Short money. With their Euro-gravy train soon to hit the buffers and donors departing at at rate of knots, where is their cash coming from?
    If and when Brexit takes place, there is no longer a need for UKIP. Once a single-issue political party achieves its aim, it's time for members to go their separate ways.
  • Options
    PA
    Watch the incredible video of a pilot soaring across the Canary Wharf skyline in the UK's first jetpack flight

@Seedrs https://t.co/OCdS2pBizK
  • Options

For TSE's plotters:

But there is another reason why the internal opposition she faces has so far gained no traction. The Prime Minister has been a Party activist herself since university, a local councillor to boot, and Party Chairman as well as Home Secretary. She didn’t sweep grandly in and out of receptions at this conference. She stayed and chatted and mingled. She is One Of Us.

http://www.conservativehome.com/thetorydiary/2016/10/mother-theresa.html

They aren't plotters, they are merely observing what Tory Eurosceptics have a history of doing.

I think she'll be pragmatic on Brexit which will annoy the hard core leavers.
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

PA
    Watch the incredible video of a pilot soaring across the Canary Wharf skyline in the UK's first jetpack flight

@Seedrs https://t.co/OCdS2pBizK

I thought Bond had a jet pack? :D
  • Options
    Why are people reacting as if our troops no longer being subject to the ECHR is somehow equivalent of letting them run amok? The ECHR does not legislate the rules of war. The ICRC does that, and we would still bound by the Geneva Conventions and the Additional Protocols. Furthermore, we would still be subject to the UN Convention on Torture, and all the other conventions dealing with weaponry and warfare.
  • Options

One for Mr Dancer (and TSE!):

On this day in 610 AD, Heraclius was crowned Byzantine Emperor, having personally beheaded the previous emperor Phocas.

And that was much better than Phocas deserved.
  • Options
    I keep on misreading Vi Coactus as "Via Coitus" :lol:

(honestly before today, I'd not heard of the phrase)
  • Options
    MTimT said:

Why are people reacting as if our troops no longer being subject to the ECHR is somehow equivalent of letting them run amok? The ECHR does not legislate the rules of war. The ICRC does that, and we would still bound by the Geneva Conventions and the Additional Protocols. Furthermore, we would still be subject to the UN Convention on Torture, and all the other conventions dealing with weaponry and warfare.

I expect the author knows that but feels the need to wildly exaggerate.
  • Options
    FensterFenster Posts: 2,115
    taffys said:

''And pretty much what May has been saying....''

Theresa WANTS those four million kippers. And she wants them BAD...

Quite amusing that most of those 4m bigoted, right wing, frothing Kippers are the same bunch of vaunted working class swing voters that Thatcher, Major and Blair were praised for bringing into their tent.
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,554
    Sean_F said:

Like Paul from Bedfordshire, I'm not a fan of making companies collect sociological data, and provided they comply with the law, I don't think companies should be penalised for employing foreign workers.

I wouldn't say I was a fan of it, but I can see that it is necessary to monitor what companies are doing rather than relying on industry bodies talking up their poor efforts. I don't want to see penalties either, because I think they won't be necessary if we are able to see what is going on and make appropriate regulations.
  • Options

I keep on misreading Vi Coactus as "Via Coitus" :lol:

(honestly before today, I'd not heard of the phrase)

I read it as Vi Cactus
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

RobD said:

If and when Brexit takes place, there is no longer a need for UKIP. Once a single-issue political party achieves its aim, it's time for members to go their separate ways.
    Unless the single-issue party has morphed into a party of government by then, like the SNP. UKIP have not.
  • Options
    Farmer Trump
    "Mr Trump's familiarity with the resultant legal loopholes is not in doubt. For example, under farmland assessment programmes, developers can claim tax breaks on land that is used for agricultural purposes.
    Mr Trump took advantage of this by installing a herd of goats on two golf courses that he owned in New Jersey, cutting his tax bill for the sites from $80,000 a year to less than $1,000."
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-37550378
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    SeanT said:

AndyJS said:

Ishmael_X said:

Guido reports

Dr Theodore Dalrymple has written about this in his book Romancing Opiates.
    My friends and I used to forge private prescriptions for dihydrocodeine - one down from diamorphine (heroin) - on an almost-industrial scale. If we'd ever been caught we'd surely have gone to jail.
    Never having worked in Central London I’ve never seen a private prescription for dihydrocodeine.
    Seen some dodgy NHS ones though.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

MTimT said:

Sean_F said:

SeanT said:

This is pure comedy gold:

"that was decided on a knife-edge – a mere 1.3 million votes"
    This is my favourite line. "Explicitly discriminating against foreign doctors purely because they are foreign is unequivocally wrong."

Er no, it's called an immigration policy. Most countries have them.

Strikes me that many modern "liberals" are simply rather thick. Just DIM.
    Thick indeed. I bet that there a number of PBers who hope he is a betting man:

"Speculation has raged since this announcement on how these pledges might be implemented. My money’s on yellow stars"
This discussion has been closed.