Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Another female UKIP leader is set to do a tribute to Lady J

Comments

• Options
    Sky reporting she is quitting in the morning - plenty of time to join Theresa in the afternoon
  • Options
    SpeedySpeedy Posts: 12,100

Scott_P said:

@ZoraSuleman: Nigel Farage told #LBC he doesnt want to comment on Diane James leaving the party - hasnt ruled out returning as leader of #UKIP

Leaving the party; not just resigning as leader?
    I detect Farage's fingerprints all over this. Being Trump's court jester wasn't all it was cracked up to be. He wants to be idolized on his own shores again.
    Perhaps Trump put him up to it. "You and me, Nige. We could rule the world!"
    Now that would be a special relationship. Better than the days of Ronnie and Maggie.
    I don't remember Ronnie & Maggie been quite so keen on Russian dictators though.
    Back then they where keen on Chinese ones.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,146

Sky reporting she is quitting in the morning - plenty of time to join Theresa in the afternoon

Plenty of time to change her mind.
  • Options
    AnorakAnorak Posts: 6,621
    edited October 2016
    I vote Conservative; I think the party is much more open, inclusive, and representative of the UK as a whole as than it used to be.

However, reading the comments under the linked article tells me that the change has not permeated through to the grass roots.

http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/2016/10/ruth-davidson-talk-gay/

It's like being back in 1965. Ick.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,967
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @LOS_Fisher: For the full story on Ukip leader Diane James, wait for The Times front page.....
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

@LOS_Fisher: For the full story on Ukip leader Diane James, wait for The Times front page.....

Interesting
  • Options

terrible night for labour if so... he can reach a lot more reds than diane could.

https://twitter.com/SebastianEPayne/status/783399258259132416

tim - quick off the mark as ever....

Tim Montgomerie ن ‏@montie 36s
    36 seconds ago

Ukip's @DianeJamesMEP did not threaten Labour in North. If @Steven_Woolfe now becomes leader, Corbyn's troubles have just got much worse.
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098

She hasn't been caught by the Telegraph drinking a pint of wine in a Chinese, while asking for £400k for advice on how to legally get around immigration visas?

A pint of wine in a chinese? Dreadful if true. There were a group of us in the late 1980s who used to meet up in a curry house in Westminster and we would be served "Bull's Blood", a bulgarian wine, by the pint. Everything seemed to work out OK.
    Bulls Blood is Hungarian. Just saying.
    Goodness, you drank it too! How depraved the public service was in those days?
  • Options

There is a lot of time to un-resign.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,403

TOPPING said:

Speedy said:

Could Diane James have quit in order to defect to the Tories under Theresa?

That would be the ultimate defection. :D

Why leave as leader of a major political party to join as a small functionary in another major political party ?

Sounds like a demotion.
    A party with 0.15% of MPs, 0.37% of Lords and 2.37% of Councillors is a "major party"?

More chance of holding office as a Tory than UKIP leader.
    4m voters.
    Being a First Past the Post nation makes that moot. We've just voted to lose our only PR Parliament. Besides I suspect that is not true anymore I suspect.
    Yes it is academic given FPTP and yes I suspect the number is now <4m.

But that is or was still a whole chunk of electorate. I can live with it being termed major.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

oo-er....

not a reckless in reverse....
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,583
    edited October 2016
    Sean_F said:
    Ronnie Wood and Paul Weller
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,422
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584

Scott_P said:

oo-er....

not a reckless in reverse....

That would be very funny.

• Options
  • Options

Charles said:

@HurstLlama

Sliding Gerber dates from 1936... terribly new fangled! But still the best way to call for a slam as it allows for more asks than Blackwood.

An 11-12 WNT open is great for frustrating an opponent though

Mr. Charles, my original comment was about openings, not slam systems. I hoped you would have picked up on the fact from my response. I did after all ignore your references to Blackwood and Gerber.

I suppose that there are still some who seek the slam above all else but ,in my experience, in rubber or competition tables, they will come out the losers.
    I think pairs transforms the whole bridge experience. The contract becomes irrelevant, it's just can you go down by five when everyone else is six off.

Not to say I don't enjoy rubber.
  • Options

Eesh, am I in the right party?

We're all Brownites now.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:
    Dot Cotton & Pauline Fowler was the original punchline (it's Ronnie Wood & Paul Weller)..
  • Options
    Scrapheap_as_wasScrapheap_as_was Posts: 10,059
    edited October 2016
    I believe our party, the new tory but not obsessed with etc party now owns the centre ground entirely as all the other main ones seem to be heading off in their respective magnetic poles
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548

She hasn't been caught by the Telegraph drinking a pint of wine in a Chinese, while asking for £400k for advice on how to legally get around immigration visas?

A pint of wine in a chinese? Dreadful if true. There were a group of us in the late 1980s who used to meet up in a curry house in Westminster and we would be served "Bull's Blood", a bulgarian wine, by the pint. Everything seemed to work out OK.
    Bulls blood was quite acceptable as I recall.

In the PB disgusting eats contest could I make an entry.

A medical school eating contest on a Saturday afternoon. Eat one of every item on the McDonalds menu at one sitting. The winner took just over an hour to finish, I trailed about 15 minutes behind. My top tip for anyone planning such a contest. Get the Filet o fish out of the way early, it is not do-able towards the end!
  • Options

We're all Brownites now.
    Time for me to write another hatchet job on the pound shop Gordon Brown that is Theresa May
  • Options
    what on earth did people think they voted Leave for if not this?

How on earth are we going to staff our country with EU workers the paperwork for which (as opposed to the one question "are you eligible to work in the EU?") will be an imposition on many firms.

We wanted Brexit and Tezza is ensuring her ministers deliver it. Warts and all.
  • Options

I believe our party new not obsessed with etc party now owns the centre ground entirely as all the other main ones seem to be heading off in their respective magnetic poles
    I'm thinking of a name change for our party, how does the following party name sound to you?

The Continuity Cameron Army (Provisional Wing)
  • Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905
    Anorak said:

I vote Conservative; I think the party is much more open, inclusive, and representative of the UK as a whole as than it used to be.

However, reading the comments under the linked article tells me that the change has not permeated through to the grass roots.

http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/2016/10/ruth-davidson-talk-gay/

It's like being back in 1965. Ick.

I wouldn't be excessively concerned about the comments under articles on websites. They're written disproportionately by cranks and obsessives, rather than ordinary people with better things to be doing with their lives.

Oh.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,990
    TOPPING said:

How on earth are we going to staff our country with EU workers the paperwork for which (as opposed to the one question "are you eligible to work in the EU?") will be an imposition on many firms.

The policy isn't dissimilar from what they have here in the US.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,164

HYUFD said:

GIN1138 said:

Now we're leaving trhe EU why don't UKIP just disband?

Unless we not only leave the single market but end free movement completely and immigration falls to near zero in 2020 UKIP will not disband
    Immigration near zero? Isn't that the BNP you're describing not UKIP?
    About 25-30% of the population want immigration near zero, certainly most white working class Leave voters would not be too far off that sentiment
  • Options

twitter.com/suttonnick/status/783405020205162496

I believe our party new not obsessed with etc party now owns the centre ground entirely as all the other main ones seem to be heading off in their respective magnetic poles
    I'm thinking of a name change for our party, how does the following party name sound to you?

The Continuity Cameron Army (Provisional Wing)
    You'll have to place me in the May-ite monarchist wing. :p
  • Options
    JobabobJobabob Posts: 3,807
    Did TSE manage to get a tea pun in the threader?
  • Options
    ThreeQuidderThreeQuidder Posts: 6,133
    Scott_P said:

Modesty forbids...
  • Options
    Daily Mail running the story. They don't know any more than pb does.
  • Options
    UKIP have achieved the impossible.

They have made Labour look sane.
  • Options
    I'm not sure the Tory party is for me any longer

https://twitter.com/AdamBienkov/status/783409349318348800
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,290
    That bigoted women...
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,422
    Jobabob said:

No, they've not gone that far. They have, however, made Labour look well-run in comparison.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,618
    Hmm, I read the speech and it definitely didn't have anything like that in it, more a lamentation over the situation of not hiring Brits or preferring foreign workers.
  • Options
    @DMcCaffreySKY: THIS IS NOT A JOKE: UKIP source telling me @Nigel_Farage could technically STILL be leader as @DianeJamesMEP papers not submitted properly.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Britain turns her back on the world.
  • Options
    Jobabob said:

I wouldn't go as far as that
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

@DMcCaffreySKY: THIS IS NOT A JOKE: UKIP source telling me @Nigel_Farage could technically STILL be leader as @DianeJamesMEP papers not submitted properly.

LOL omg :o:D:o
  • Options

Jobabob said:

No, they've not gone that far. They have, however, made Labour look well-run in comparison.
    Ha. Yes. I was overstretching there David.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

ok, stop. I want to get off.
  • Options

twitter.com/AdamBienkov/status/783409349318348800

Agreed, that does seem a bit much
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548

We're all Brownites now.
    Time for me to write another hatchet job on the pound shop Gordon Brown that is Theresa May
    Could be worse. At the bottom of the Indy front page it sounds as if Leadsom is calling for a year zero like return to the countryside!
  • Options

I recall buying Bulls Blood.
  • Options

An action is either lawful or unlawful. I dislike the principle of "naming and shaming."
  • Options

You can always join the Labour party and sing the Internationale with Corbyn.
  • Options

That's not a good policy at all. My office is fairly international and benefits from that, we have loads of Americans, a few Australians and a fair number of Europeans. I don't think the company should be ashamed of bringing in global talent to the UK.
  • Options

Yes this looks egregious.

Neither Labour nor the Tories can now claim to be the party of the liberal meritocrat.

Can someone please launch the Decent Sensible Party so we can leave the nutters to it?
  • Options
    RobD said:

One of the reasons I'm a Tory is that we've always been an internationalist party, a party of free trade, and look at what we've become today.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Scott_P said:

LOL omg :o:D:o
    The old trick Mick Jagger pulled on Jerry Hall.
  • Options
    brokenwheelbrokenwheel Posts: 3,352
    Speedy said:

I had him as more a Lib Dem to be honest.
  • Options
    edited October 2016

RobD said:

One of the reasons I'm a Tory is that we've always been an internationalist party, a party of free trade, and look at what we've become today.
    Lord Derby and Disraeli? Joseph Chamberlain? Enoch Powell? IDS?
  • Options
    BBC News 10.00 pm sources say Diane James has quiet.
  • Options
    edited October 2016

RobD said:

The Tory party circa 1979-1990.
    Thatcher's 4rth term.
  • Options
    Scrapheap_as_wasScrapheap_as_was Posts: 10,059
    edited October 2016
    Jobabob said:

Neither Labour nor the Tories can now claim to be the party of the liberal meritocrat.

Can someone please launch the Decent Sensible Party so we can leave the nutters to it?
    what are your views on Europe and homosexuality? if not too bothered in a head banger way, I know the very party... but membership vetting is vigorous:

1. Are you Mark Reckless?
    2. Have you ever been Mark Reckless?

If you are able to answer "No" to those two toughies then your card is in the post.
  • Options
    dr_spyn said:

Quit maybe
  • Options
    @MrHarryCole: Ohhhh... could be more to this. UKIP unable to confirm Diane James is staying on as an MEP.
  • Options
    dr_spyn said:

She's at peace?
  • Options
    dr_spyn said:

Is TSE the source? Hardly breaking news now ...
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    edited October 2016

RobD said:

I shall tell Sheffield Momentum to prepare for a new member :D
  • Options

Jobabob said:

what are your views on Europe and homosexuality? if not too bothered in a head banger way, I know the very party... but membership vetting is vigorous:

If you are able to answer "No" to those two toughies then your card is in the post.
    I'm a little unclear.. what's the party's position on TPDs again?
  • Options

RobD said:

This is the tory conference remember.... it's hopefully just red meat for the hardcore.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

That's not a good policy at all. My office is fairly international and benefits from that, we have loads of Americans, a few Australians and a fair number of Europeans. I don't think the company should be ashamed of bringing in global talent to the UK.
    One day people like you who've stoked up nationalism for bogus reasons will understand what you've done. I hope you feel ashamed.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Jobabob said:

I'm a little unclear.. what's the party's position on TPDs again?
    Very liberal.

We hang, draw and quarter them - like the good old days.
  • Options

dr_spyn said:

Quit maybe
    No she turned up the volume until it got too loud.
  • Options

Jobabob said:

It would probably split the LD vote.
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

RobD said:

I shall tell Sheffield Momentum to prepare for a new member :D
    It's either The Tories or no one for me.
  • Options

RobD said:

This is the tory conference remember.... it's hopefully just red meat for the hardcore.
    It's funny, I've been at conference today, and missed all of this.
  • Options

RobD said:

It won't do the Lib Dems any harm in Witney.
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    Did we ever find out why exactly Diane James stood down as a candidate for a seat just before the 2015 election? I thought I remembered whispers that it was due to "health problems", but can't find anything online now after just searching for it.
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,627

RobD said:

Free trade is right at the heart of the Conservative vision for a future global Britain.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

One day people like you who've stoked up nationalism for bogus reasons will understand what you've done. I hope you feel ashamed.
    Fuck off and get back to supporting Trump and Putin.
  • Options
    edited October 2016

Speedy said:

TSE has never really been a Tory, he is actually a classically liberal, Orange Book LD
  • Options
    This is UKIP news is so annoying.

I lost a bet laying Diana James as next UKIP leader less than three weeks ago.
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

Did we ever find out why exactly Diane James stood down as a candidate for a seat just before the 2015 election? I thought I remembered whispers that it was due to "health problems", but can't find anything online now after just searching for it.

The ill health of her mother.
  • Options

RobD said:

Free trade is right at the heart of the Conservative vision for a future global Britain.
    Forcing companies to declare how many foreign workers they have isn't a good policy though.
  • Options
    @owenjbennett: Paul Nuttall is doing a John Major and is not in Strasbourg because he's having dental work done.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,292
    edited October 2016
    High Court rules Jermaine Baker police officer can retire
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-37552449

I can't believe this investigation is still going on.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

"The test should ensure people coming here are filling gaps in the labour market, not taking jobs British people could do."

Hmmm
  • Options

RobD said:

It's funny, I've been at conference today, and missed all of this.
    this is also the 'i' newspaper too....
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,920
    I think Diane is defecting to the Tories and will be in Birmingham for Mrs May's speech tomorrow.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Speedy said:

TSE has never really been a Tory, he is actually a classically liberal, Orange Book LD
    A younger more "multicultural" version of OGH.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Speedy said:

I've been a Tory member since 1997 (when I was 18 years old), I've helped elect several Tory MPs and councillors, and yet people keep on telling me I'm not a Tory.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

I think Diane is defecting to the Tories and will be in Birmingham for Mrs May's speech tomorrow.

With policies like Amber Rudd's she'll feel right at home. There's 'no faffing' there.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

:o
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Yay! I might still win my bet :-)
  • Options
    UKIP makes us supplicants of Corbyn (peace be upon him) look unified and we'll run.

James quits after 18 days. OK
    James rumoured to be heading to Birmingham. Don't be silly
    James may quit as MEP. Because she's joining the Tories or because she knows too much?
    Farage may still be leader. WHAT THE FRACK?

People say the Blessed Jeremy leads a personality cult. But Farage seems unable to quit being leader of UKIP. Is it because although it resembles a political party it's actually his scrotal sac?
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Speedy said:

I've been a Tory member since 1997 (when I was 18 years old), I've helped elect several Tory MPs and councillors, and yet people keep on telling me I'm not a Tory.
    You're as much as a Tory as Tony Blair is Labour.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

MaxPB said:

"The test should ensure people coming here are filling gaps in the labour market, not taking jobs British people could do."

Hmmm
    Sure, but forcing companies to declare their proportion of foreign workers is a (few) step too far. Actively discouraging companies from widening their talent search globally is a poor idea IMO, especially when it is clear that some industries have benefited from foreign management and investment (the much discussed auto industry for one).
  • Options
    Chris_AChris_A Posts: 1,237
    Hunt's late realisation that we need more doctors is very welcome news but it takes 6 years to train and then about another 10 to become a consultant, yet Hunt reckons we'll be self sufficient for doctors by 2025 only showing that his maths hasn't improved from the more hospital deaths at weekends lies.

Of course by 2025 at current trends no Trusts will be able to afford to empty these freshly minted doctors.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Speedy said:

its like being a labour mp in some ways isn't it...
  • Options
    ThreeQuidderThreeQuidder Posts: 6,133
    edited October 2016
    Sean_F said:

An action is either lawful or unlawful. I dislike the principle of "naming and shaming."
    That reads to me like the phrase "name and shame" came from the hack not the politician?
  • Options
    RobD said:

GIN1138 said:

If true it will bring about an abrupt end to Theresa May's honeymoon.

My prediction that Brexit means Corbyn could win a GE will start to look more likely.
  • Options
    In hindsight, I should realised that the speech wouldn't be to my liking when I read Miss Plato's comments about being won over by Rudd earlier today!
  • Options

RobD said:

GIN1138 said:

If true it will bring about an abrupt end to Theresa May's honeymoon.

My prediction that Brexit means Corbyn could win a GE will start to look more likely.
    I agree it wouldn't be a plus for May!
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

TOPPING said:

MaxPB said:

Hmmm
    Sure, but forcing companies to declare their proportion of foreign workers is a (few) step too far. Actively discouraging companies from widening their talent search globally is a poor idea IMO, especially when it is clear that some industries have benefited from foreign management and investment (the much discussed auto industry for one).
    People should not be made to feel ashamed for employing foreigners. That's entirely separate from controlling immigration sensibly.
This discussion has been closed.