Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » “We can get through this”: Don Brind looks at how coffee cu

1235»

Comments

• Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

Jeremy Corbyn’s Islington seat is to vanish from the map following the boundary changes, leaving Jez to fight it out for a new seat called Finsbury Park and Stoke Newington. Sources with intimate knowledge of the Boundary Review tell Guido that the new seat will take in the ward of Stamford Hill West in Hackney. Stamford Hill West forms part of a 30,000 strong Orthodox Jewish community. 37.6% of people living Stamford Hill West identify as Jewish.

http://order-order.com/2016/09/12/oy-vey-corbyns-new-seat-home-to-huge-jewish-community/

Even more hilariously, if that is true it will put him up against Diane Abbott, who currently represents Stoke Newington.

Poor imagery

Mind bleach!
  • Options

I see many Leavers are STILL laying into Obama for stating the obvious, and restating long-standing US policy.

Guys, the war is over. You won. What's wrong with you, that you are still bitter? It's normally the losing side which can't get over it.

If the Special Relationship means anything it means the UK isn't at the back of the queue. That would imply that at, the very least, TTIP and a UK-US trade deal would proceed in tandem, which would probably be in US interests anyway if they wanted to play hardball and play the EU and UK concessions off each other.

Otherwise the relationship isn't very special.
    The Special Relationship exists and is very strong.

It's just very specific - military, defence and intelligence - not as wide as UK politicians like to pretend. For instance, there are US officers inside the sit rooms on UK military bases and vice versa. It's a level of integration and information sharing that doesn't exist with other countries, even within 5 eyes.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

taffys said:

Crossing the floor?
    No. The East London seats will be dramatically affected by the review as the 'loss' of electors following IER was particularly acute. In the last proposals his seat disappeared, and that was using the old numbers. I expect Mike knows not only that his seat has been significantly redrawn but that there's one fewer Labour seat overall, and given that his neighbours are a lot younger and more up-and-coming (insofar as there is anywhere to come to in Labour nowadays) than he is, I expect he will announce his retirement tomorrow. His health hasn't been that great recently, either; he was seriously ill at the end of last year. He will probably throw in a few lines blaming Corbyn just for good measure, however.
    East London doesn't have to lose a seat as W Ham and E Ham are too big. Perhaps he doesn't think he can get a seat with the necessary shuffling around.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

List of the 9 Tory MPs who lost their seats last year:

Nick de Bois (Enfield North)
    Angie Bray (Ealing Central & Acton)
    Mary Macleod (Brentford & Isleworth)
    Esther McVey (Wirral West)
    Stephen Mosley (City of Chester)
    Eric Ollerenshaw (Lancaster & Fleetwood)
    Simon Reevell (Dewsbury)
    Lee Scott (Ilford North)
    Paul Uppal (Wolverhampton South West)

Esther would be good. Red rag to a bull for Labour
  • Options
    saddenedsaddened Posts: 2,245
    Sean_F said:

Perhaps the Conservatives will encourage Nigel Farage to switch parties, in order to apply for Witney.

It's one way to get rid of a fair chunk of voters. Me for one.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670

AndyJS said:

Why are grammar schools so unpopular with the privately educated?

A rhetorical question I guess.

Because we look at the evidence, and the evidence stacks up against grammar schools. They only help a few, not all.
    Whereas the Comprehensive system helps no one as it works on the principle of dragging everyone down to the lowest common denominator. .

Disadvantage pupils do worse in areas with Grammar schools.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 48,149

IanB2 said:

taffys said:

Crossing the floor?
    No. The East London seats will be dramatically affected by the review as the 'loss' of electors following IER was particularly acute. In the last proposals his seat disappeared, and that was using the old numbers. I expect Mike knows not only that his seat has been significantly redrawn but that there's one fewer Labour seat overall, and given that his neighbours are a lot younger and more up-and-coming (insofar as there is anywhere to come to in Labour nowadays) than he is, I expect he will announce his retirement tomorrow. His health hasn't been that great recently, either; he was seriously ill at the end of last year. He will probably throw in a few lines blaming Corbyn just for good measure, however.
    East London doesn't have to lose a seat as W Ham and E Ham are too big. Perhaps he doesn't think he can get a seat with the necessary shuffling around.
    It does partly depends on where the new boundaries go - the north of his Borough is marginal territory so there are other ways in which Labour might lose a seat here (particularly at 28%).

Well, as a supporter of the Iraq war he is tolerated rather than admired in Ilford, by many of his constituents. Given his age, poor health, and recent outspokenness, I agree he would probably find selection for a significantly new area quite difficult.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 48,149
    felix said:

Comprehensive schools would work just fine if

* All grammar schools abolished.
    * All private public and fee paying schools abolished.
    * Homeschooling illegal.
    * Private tutoring illegal.
    * No choice as to school, you can just express an interest All pupils told which school they are going to with selection by lottery of all pupils who have selected an interest.

Do that or shut up about grammar schols.

A very comprehensive post. Well done!
    I would rather be selective about which of his proposals are adopted.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 52,080
    Cyclefree said:

So, which tory who isn't an MP at the moment wants the safest of safe seats for the Tories?

TSE
    What a terrible birthday present.

I shall wear black for the rest of the day.
    Happy Birthday!

Now - with all due respect to you, your Tory-ness and your shoes - I think that we need an eloquent, experienced lady for the Witney seat. Someone tough-minded, someone who can spot bullshit and bullshitters at a thousand paces, someone used to dealing with egomaniacs with more puff than substance, someone with a sense of history and knowledge of other countries and, crucial this, someone who went to neither Eton nor a grammar school, etc. Being a Tory is a mere detail and really quite unimportant in the grand scheme of things.

A sense of impudence too...... :)
    Ruth Davidson?
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 118,281
    AndyJS said:

Why are grammar schools so unpopular with the privately educated?

A rhetorical question I guess.

They are not, yougov has shown most privately educated support grammar schools
This discussion has been closed.