Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Joff Wild says Owen Smith will lose, Labour will fight brut

SystemSystem Posts: 11,711
edited September 2016 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Joff Wild says Owen Smith will lose, Labour will fight brutally, but the party will come through its current pain

Last week’s YouGov poll of Labour members, registered supporters and trade union affiliates giving Jeremy Corbyn a 62% to 38% lead over Owen Smith in the party’s leadership election will have surprised few, except – perhaps – Don Brind and Saving Labour (though how much they really believe the contest is too close to call is a moot point).

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,756
    edited September 2016
    First, like a pair of Greens on a joint ticket.
  • Options
    PlatoSaidPlatoSaid Posts: 10,383
    One of four with Vaz.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,634
    edited September 2016
    Decent article, but if the Corbyn camp takes over the NEC and forces reselections on new boundaries, how do Labour recover after losing in 2020? The MPs will be much further to the left and less inclined to go for a Chucka or Dan.

The Tories are closing in on 200k members again @SouthamObserver! ABC might not be the second largest party soon. :)
  • Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503
    MaxPB said:

Decent article, but if the Corbyn camp takes over the NEC and forces reselections on new boundaries, how do Labour recover after losing in 2020? The MPs will be much further to the left and less inclined to go for a Chucka or Dan.

The Tories are closing in on 200k members again @SouthamObserver! ABC might not be the second largest party soon. :)

Elsewhere SO and others have been at pains to point out how hard it is to deselect MPs in practice, even with the boundary revisions.

As ever, this tussle for the soul of the Labour party masks the real issue; its serial refusal to compromise with the electorate. It will go into the next election on a pro-Europe, pro-immigration platform and will suffer the consequences.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,079
    HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

taffys said:

May made clear outside No 10 the Union was more important to her than hard BREXIT and her first visit was to see Sturgeon after all''

Music to UKIP's ears.

UKIP'S hard BREXIT position represents 30% of voters at best, they are in no position to dictate terms to the rest of the country, they are as bad as Remainers who want a second referendum
    The 30% who are determined, united and certain can overcome the 70% who are neither.
    Rubbish, the 30% would be crushed at a general election, that is the same total Hague and Ed Miliband got, even if it would be high for a third party which could perhaps even become the opposition party
    I was making a general point about minorities being able to influence majority positions when the majority is fractured and riven with doubt, not suggesting that in this instance it would be the case that that 30% would be triumphant. It was a point about the general power of fanaticism, not a prediction.
  • Options
    On topic, so long as no one really wants to split, and few do, and there is no one viable to take their place, Labour will endure this pain.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

If we have a single migration policy that advantages or disadvantages no nation (other than Ireland as you rightly point out) what will they moan about?

That is an interesting question, because we might want to institute a system which indirectly discriminates against citizens of some EU countries at the expense of others. In fact, we probably will; that's kinda the idea of 'taking back control' of our borders.

This is going to be the kind of issue which could easily get very political, and therefore disrupt agreement on trade even though such disruption is in neither side's interests.
    Yes, but I'd have thought the government would be smart enough to not get involved with all of that and just go for a one size fits all route and let the EU or individual nations come up with their own response. If we want to change that at a later date and enhance visas with specific nations then that's something for them to chew over at a later date. It doesn't make sense to do so, if a Polish worker has the skills to do a job which pays £40k per year and a German has the same skills for the same job, why should we discriminate against one and in favour of another?
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited September 2016
    I think Joff is broadly right in his assessment, but the question is: how long will it take for Labour to rid itself of the parasite which is eating away at it from the inside? It could be a very long time.

One minor quibble: Is it really the case that "Theresa May’s government is undoubtedly far more right wing than any we have seen since the time of Margaret Thatcher"? I don't see any basis for that; if anything, she has been making policy statements which place her well to the left of Cameron on economic issues, corporate governance, income disparities, and equality legislation. It's a bit early to tell what the final mix will look like in practice, but at the moment it doesn't seem particularly right-wing at all.
  • Options
    Southam is right. Labour will, of course, survive.

That's the problem. What will also therefore survive is the lack of a decent opposition. What will survive is the misogynistic, nannying, anti-Semitic effluent that is today's Labour party. They can't win, they can't think, they can't oppose but they can't die either. They're undead. A zombie party. Goes down a treat in Islington.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

It's up to the members not the MPs - the MPs only have to nominate.

But in any case the nature of MPs is that they want to win, so even if Corbyn purged all the moderates they're be replaced by a decent chunk of the new ones who said Corbynist-friendly things during the selection but then turned moderate in once they'd been elected.
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098
    A cri de coeur from Mr. Observer, I think. Fair enough it is his party and he clearly cares about it (which is more than I do). However, I was struck by the passage, "Theresa May’s government is undoubtedly far more right wing than any we have seen since the time of Margaret Thatcher". What on earth has Theresa May's government actually done that justifies the title of "right wing"?
  • Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503
    edited September 2016

I think Joff is broadly right in his assessment, but the question is: how long will it take for Labour to rid itself of the parasite which is eating away at it from the inside? It could be a very long time.

One minor quibble: Is it really the case that "Theresa May’s government is undoubtedly far more right wing than any we have seen since the time of Margaret Thatcher"? I don't see any basis for that; if anything, she has been making policy statements which place her well to the left of Cameron on economic issues, corporate governance, income disparities, and equality legislation. It's a bit early to tell what the final mix will look like in practice, but at the moment it doesn't seem particularly right-wing at all.

Agree. May sounds like a proper pre-Thatcher One Nation Tory, though I hope more Macmillan than Heath.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,427
    edited September 2016
    What is going to happen when Corbyn wins?
    Will the PLP look to fill the shadow cabinet or will they still refuse to play?
    Will the battle for control of the NEC go on?
    How safe is Tom Watson, who has been far from glowing in his support of the leader?
    How long can Iain McNicol hold on?
    What is going to happen when the new boundaries come into force?

It seems to me that even Joff's pessimism understates the likelihood of continued warfare within Labour. The track record of the PLP suggests he is right about there being no splits but a united opposition is looking way out of reach. What is almost certain is that the post 2020 Labour party will look very different from what we have seen in the past. Whether it is still attractive to voters is an unanswered question.
  • Options

Well to borrow from a certain Ed, it's pretty hard to judge a blank piece of paper. So far these are the policies I can think of from Mrs May.

1. Cancel Hinkley Point C
    2. "Brexit means Brexit"
    3. Maybe possibly somehow bring back grammar schools.

I think that sums it up. I hope her conference speech has more policy detail, it's a bit too sparse at the moment.
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    MaxPB said:

Well to borrow from a certain Ed, it's pretty hard to judge a blank piece of paper. So far these are the policies I can think of from Mrs May.

2. "Brexit means Brexit"

I think that sums it up. I hope her conference speech has more policy detail, it's a bit too sparse at the moment.

Well, there's this, which doesn't look very right-wing to me:

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/nils-pratley-on-finance/2016/jul/11/theresa-may-plan-workers-boardroom-reform-extraordinary-tories
  • Options
    Has May cancelled Hinckley C? (I think she should but I didn't think she had)
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

2. "Brexit means Brexit"

Point of order, Mr. Max, Hinkley Point C has not been cancelled, though I hope it will be.
  • Options
    peter_from_putneypeter_from_putney Posts: 6,875
    edited September 2016
    Post removed
  • Options
    Regarding Keith Vaz, I'm putting an end to any speculation about him, and posts regarding him now have to come from a reputable UK based news organisation. (Order Order doesn't count)

Legal letters are flying about, and I'm sure no one wants to get Mike into trouble
  • Options
    I've looked Joff up, as you do.

Did he play the guy who stole the embryos in Jurassic Park?

(Possibly a bit harsh)
  • Options
    Patrick said:

It's being reviewed, and judging by the Chinese reaction in Chengdu they've been told it's cancelled.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

2. "Brexit means Brexit"

Well, there's this, which doesn't look very right-wing to me:

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/nils-pratley-on-finance/2016/jul/11/theresa-may-plan-workers-boardroom-reform-extraordinary-tories
    I'd forgotten about this. Pretty left wing to have worker representative on the BoD. Definitely not a lot to suggest that she is leading the most right wing government since Mrs Thatcher.
  • Options
    Good afternoon, everyone.
  • Options
    Deselections on a massive scale of many Labour MPs looks inevitable. That did not happen in Foot or Kinnock's time because they were the Leaders. Today we have Corbyn in charge who keeps being attacked by his Labour MPs. When mass deselections happen, how can a New Labour type of party emerge from with the Labour party post 2020? Its Membership will be hard left, its money will come mainly from unions controlled by the hard left and its Leader will be from the Corbynite wing.
  • Options

Do other Pbers consider it rather unkind, as I do, to discover that Jeremy Corbyn is sometimes jokingly referred to as Steptoe on Guido Fawkes' site?

Unkind, possibly. Unreasonable, no.
  • Options
    Patrick said:

That's the problem. What will also therefore survive is the lack of a decent opposition. What will survive is the misogynistic, nannying, anti-Semitic effluent that is today's Labour party. They can't win, they can't think, they can't oppose but they can't die either. They're undead. A zombie party. Goes down a treat in Islington.

So, hopefully Labour survives post a zombie apocalypse.
    But what happens in the meantime. 4 years (till 2020) is a long time for May to have free rein.

Who or what is the de facto opposition? The SNP? The BBC? The hard-right Brexiteers?

For that reason, May truly has an opportunity for a sweeping, transformative, one nation policy agenda.

But can't really see it coming from Mrs Cautious, aka Brown in kitten heels, and her gang of misfits.

I hope I'm wrong.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

2. "Brexit means Brexit"

Also accepting that it is going to take many more years to bring in Universal Credit.
    And a clear reluctance to take a decision on Heathrow.
    And equivocation about HS2.
    And an announcement that Osborne's deficit reduction plan is being abandoned without any stated alternative.
    And more QE.

Not particularly right wing, not particularly decisive.

A change of leader is and should be a time for a rethink and to test some verities that have perhaps stood unchallenged for too long or to ditch policies which were attracting too much flak for any prospective benefit. That is entirely fair enough. But over the next few weeks we really need to get a clearer idea of what a May government is going to look like, what its priorities are and how it thinks it is going to change this country for the better. So far we barely have an inkling.
  • Options

Post removed

Yes it is unkind to Steptoe.
  • Options

A cri de coeur from Mr. Observer, I think. Fair enough it is his party and he clearly cares about it (which is more than I do). However, I was struck by the passage, "Theresa May’s government is undoubtedly far more right wing than any we have seen since the time of Margaret Thatcher". What on earth has Theresa May's government actually done that justifies the title of "right wing"?

Got rid of Osborne?
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,010
    edited September 2016
    1st !

Or it seems the party has started already :(
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Patrick said:

It's being reviewed, and judging by the Chinese reaction in Chengdu they've been told it's cancelled.
    If HMG have really informed the Chinese then I think that is shocking bad form. The people of this country, especially those who are sitting investment decisions, have as much right to know as the Chinese.
  • Options
    Ishmael_XIshmael_X Posts: 3,664
    edited September 2016
    Post removed in deference to removal of what it was a reply to.
  • Options
    Sinister Farce
    Just a little guy who lives outside the bubble, a play in 4 tweets: https://t.co/XdydosZoCs
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,927
    edited September 2016
    Seems a more realistic assessment than The Don's!

Oh and 34th... Like Theresa May in a "leaders line-up" :smiley:

#BackOfTheRow
  • Options
    Which PM are you quiz.

Apparently I'm Churchill

You booze hard and you're prone to long periods of depression. You speak your mind even if what you say isn't always politically correct. At certain times you're capable of astonishing leadership.

http://thetab.com/2016/04/13/uk-prime-minister-86166
  • Options
    Ishmael_X said:

Do other Pbers consider it rather unkind, as I do, to discover that Jeremy Corbyn is sometimes jokingly referred to as Steptoe on Guido Fawkes' site?

Yes and no - if you triangulate it against what they call everyone else it is actually quite innocuous and, relatively speaking, quite funny.
    Paddy Ashdown called Leave voters 'brown shirts' earlier today ...
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

There's a fair amount of wishful thinking in both, I'd say. The chances of Labour ever forming a majority government again have probably dipped below 50%.
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

Ishmael_X said:

Yes and no - if you triangulate it against what they call everyone else it is actually quite innocuous and, relatively speaking, quite funny.
    Paddy Ashdown called Leave voters 'brown shirts' earlier today ...
    Rather than brown shorts, brown socks and sandals.
  • Options
    DanSmithDanSmith Posts: 1,215
    MaxPB said:

Taking over the NEC is easier said than done.
  • Options
    edited September 2016

Which PM are you quiz.

Apparently I'm Churchill

You booze hard and you're prone to long periods of depression. You speak your mind even if what you say isn't always politically correct. At certain times you're capable of astonishing leadership.

Disraeli.

Can't copy on my phone, but I like power and money and can compromise.
  • Options

Which PM are you quiz.

Apparently I'm Churchill

I've come out as Sir Winston as well!
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,234
    FPT (in response to Mr Llama who posted this):-

""A heavy-metal-loving vicar has applied for an alcohol licence for his church, saying that Jesus "turned water into wine for a reason".

Father Tom Plant, who took over as vicar of St Michael's Church in Camden, north London, in January this year, is currently waiting to hear if his application will be accepted by Camden Council."

The Church of England can still be a gloriously eccentric organisation."

I sometimes think Jesus must have been Irish.

"Feck! You call this a weddin'? Where's the booze? You fellas fetch that Evian over here and we'll get it sorted."

• Options

Which PM are you quiz.

Apparently I'm Churchill

I'm Palmerston. Cool!
  • Options
    DavidL said:

MaxPB said:

2. "Brexit means Brexit"

Also accepting that it is going to take many more years to bring in Universal Credit.
    And an announcement that Osborne's deficit reduction plan is being abandoned without any stated alternative.
    And more QE.

A change of leader is and should be a time for a rethink and to test some verities that have perhaps stood unchallenged for too long or to ditch policies which were attracting too much flak for any prospective benefit. That is entirely fair enough. But over the next few weeks we really need to get a clearer idea of what a May government is going to look like, what its priorities are and how it thinks it is going to change this country for the better. So far we barely have an inkling.
    I think you are correct Mr L but perhaps being a tad unfair. TM became PM only a few weeks ago at a leadership election process that not many people expected (including probably her), right at the beginning of the Holiday season and in the run up to the economic crisis that was foretold by so many. Things for many, even on here, have settled down and the new term is starting.

I would hope that we will now, over the coming weeks and months, start to see where TM wants to take us. That said if she wants to run an administration that does not feel it necessary to come out with a policy (re)announcement every day then you will not find me complaining. A period of sober, sensible government would actually be most welcome.
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

There's a fair amount of wishful thinking in both, I'd say. The chances of Labour ever forming a majority government again have probably dipped below 50%.
    The Tories won't have a majority in perpetuity. Long term liberal revival, or UKIP - or someone else ?
  • Options
    DavidL said:

MaxPB said:

2. "Brexit means Brexit"

And more QE.

I think we'll see at conference what sort of Government she'll lead.

The other pivotal moment will be Hammond's Autumn Statement.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

""A heavy-metal-loving vicar has applied for an alcohol licence for his church, saying that Jesus "turned water into wine for a reason".

Father Tom Plant, who took over as vicar of St Michael's Church in Camden, north London, in January this year, is currently waiting to hear if his application will be accepted by Camden Council."

"Feck! You call this a weddin'? Where's the booze? You fellas fetch that Evian over here and we'll get it sorted."

IIRC, a 'wake' was originally about the fear of being buried alive by accident - and also behind the phrase to 'ring a bell' - a coffin dweller had a string to pull in case they came round whilst 6 feet under.
  • Options
    Blue_rogBlue_rog Posts: 2,019
    GIN1138 said:

Which PM are you quiz.

Apparently I'm Churchill

and me hic
  • Options
    He's turning into the Dan Hodges of this parliament!
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

:D
  • Options

Patrick said:

So, hopefully Labour survives post a zombie apocalypse.
    But what happens in the meantime. 4 years (till 2020) is a long time for May to have free rein. ..... May truly has an opportunity for a sweeping, transformative, one nation policy agenda.
    But can't really see it coming from Mrs Cautious, aka Brown in kitten heels, and her gang of misfits. I hope I'm wrong.
    You could be right. We will get some signs in Hammond's financial statements and whether he is captured (as usual) by civil servants.
  • Options
    Patrick said:

Which PM are you quiz.

Apparently I'm Churchill

I'm Palmerston. Cool!
    I got Churchill.
  • Options

DavidL said:

MaxPB said:

2. "Brexit means Brexit"

And more QE.

The OBR EFO will be hugely important, there will be lots of interesting data to mull over.
  • Options
    w

DavidL said:

MaxPB said:

2. "Brexit means Brexit"

And more QE.

That'll be the one where I realise just how much I miss George Osborne :(

I remember in all his budgets thinking "This is ok for me actually" :(
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    PlatoSaid said:

Patrick said:

Which PM are you quiz.

Apparently I'm Churchill

I'm Palmerston. Cool!
    I got Churchill.
    Either the thing is fixed or we're all drunks on PB! :smiley:
  • Options
    YouGov did get the registered voters wrong by quite a lot last time, could happen again, very tough to poll.
  • Options
    weejonnieweejonnie Posts: 3,820
    edited September 2016
    GIN1138 said:

Which PM are you quiz.

Apparently I'm Churchill

William Pitt The Younger.

"Cold, haughty and distant, you struggle to make time for other people. You put work above everything and you've got used to being successful from a young age. You'll die young and your three bottles of port a night habit will probably be the reason why. "

Which is odd as I am virtually teetotal and aged 55.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

GIN1138 said:

The Tories won't have a majority in perpetuity. Long term liberal revival, or UKIP - or someone else ?
    Maybe someone else. Mind you Labour would still be favourite, perhaps via a coalition in which they devour their junior partner.

Next non-Conservative single-party majority government:

Labour 5/4
    UKIP 7/1
    Lib Dems 12/1
    Other 3/1

Paid-on bets only :)
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

PlatoSaid said:

Patrick said:

Which PM are you quiz.

Apparently I'm Churchill

I'm Palmerston. Cool!
    I got Churchill.
    *hic*
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,042
    Pulpstar said:

w

DavidL said:

MaxPB said:

2. "Brexit means Brexit"

And more QE.

I find the details where they continually show that they don't understand how the freelance market works far more painful....
  • Options
    DanSmith said:

YouGov did get the registered voters wrong by quite a lot last time, could happen again, very tough to poll.
    Yes. It's that 120k figure I don't trust, though.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,811

MaxPB said:

Patrick said:

If HMG have really informed the Chinese then I think that is shocking bad form. The people of this country, especially those who are sitting investment decisions, have as much right to know as the Chinese.
    I suspect Theresa May is stalling on Hinkley Point in the hope that the deal will collapse of its own accord. Thus freeing her of the embarrassment of explicitly telling China she doesn't trust them. As far as I know she has put no deadline on the "security review"
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

He's turning into the Dan Hodges of this parliament!
    I was beginning to wonder if Dan had signed off twitter, when this arrived:

(((Dan Hodges))) ‏@DPJHodges 6h6 hours ago
    Been away for a couple of weeks. Brexit going well, Labour doing well, I presume?
  • Options
    Palmerston for me.
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    GIN1138 said:

I take it your moniker details the measures of mothers ruin you consume monthly ... :smile:
  • Options

DanSmith said:

Yes. It's that 120k figure I don't trust, though.
    The thing that the anti-Corbyn faction need to accept is that Corbyn isn't winning because of registered voters (although they are helping). He won last year with the members and he's going to win again this year with the members.
  • Options
    Finally, Samuel Tombs has arrived to provide is with some perspective, you can all stop wondering what the latest spin on good news is.

https://twitter.com/samueltombs/status/772717527852015617
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024
    Brind is Alastair Campbell and I claim my £3.
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753

He not only turned water into wine. At the Last Supper he went out of his way to link wine with his own blood.

Christians not only CAN drink, you could argue that the message is they should. Many committed Christians drink every Sunday at communion.

Even methodists don't completely ban drinking any more, although its still frowned upon.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,811
    Pulpstar said:

Palmerston for me.

Me too, but then it says I "You love shagging and you love conflict. You're capable of speaking for hours on end, mainly about what a great place England is. Your answer to most questions is to get the Royal Navy to shoot it" I'm not convinced.
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    FF43 said:

MaxPB said:

Patrick said:

I suspect Theresa May is stalling on Hinkley Point in the hope that the deal will collapse of its own accord. Thus freeing her of the embarrassment of explicitly telling China she doesn't trust them. As far as I know she has put no deadline on the "security review"
    Well I did see a tweet last week that said five directors of EDF were suing their own company in an attempt to get the project binned. No Idea if it was was correct as I could not find another source.

As for telling the Chinese that would be easy peasy. You simply say that having reviewed the project you don't trust the French. After all the Frogs have not yet managed to get one of these reactors working and both the one in Finland and the one in France are both years late and massively over budget. So thanks for the offer of financial support, but the UK will not be building any more such power plants.

Then give Moltex the support they have been asking for, and rebuild our own industry.
  • Options
    FF43 said:

MaxPB said:

Patrick said:

There's probably something in that.
  • Options
    Quentin Letts
    Utter silence in Chamber as Vaz asks a question (about some terrorism issue). A silence cold as an icicle.
  • Options
    Mr. Llama, sounds sensible.

Probably won't happen.

May still has the opportunity (in general terms) to set her own course, but if she doesn't start soon it'll look like the ship of state is being buffeted by Zeitgeist zephyrs.
  • Options
    FF43 said:

Pulpstar said:

Palmerston for me.

Me too, but then it says I "You love shagging and you love conflict. You're capable of speaking for hours on end, mainly about what a great place England is. Your answer to most questions is to get the Royal Navy to shoot it" I'm not convinced.
    I'm more Palmerston than I am Churchill
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

w

DavidL said:

MaxPB said:

2. "Brexit means Brexit"

And more QE.

See! My piece last week comparing Osborne to Churchill was prescient.
  • Options

FF43 said:

Pulpstar said:

Palmerston for me.

You must have put booze as your preferred vice not womanising!
  • Options

DavidL said:

MaxPB said:

2. "Brexit means Brexit"

And more QE.

Yeah, the latter should be even more important than the former.
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

Quentin Letts
    Utter silence in Chamber as Vaz asks a question (about some terrorism issue). A silence cold as an icicle.

It was good of him to pop in.
  • Options

DavidL said:

MaxPB said:
    And more QE.

I think you are correct Mr L but perhaps being a tad unfair. TM became PM only a few weeks ago at a leadership election process that not many people expected (including probably her), right at the beginning of the Holiday season and in the run up to the economic crisis that was foretold by so many. Things for many, even on here, have settled down and the new term is starting.

I would hope that we will now, over the coming weeks and months, start to see where TM wants to take us. That said if she wants to run an administration that does not feel it necessary to come out with a policy (re)announcement every day then you will not find me complaining. A period of sober, sensible government would actually be most welcome.
    I am not being unfair or even particularly negative. I fully accept that she needed a bit of time to get her feet under the table, especially when the leadership election was so truncated. I just feel that time is coming to an end and look forward to her announcements and decisions in the coming weeks.
  • Options
    That banner on the main thread picture: Chat Shit, Get Sacked...

I think Ice-T says it better (NSFW natch):
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sokdL-0iV9s
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    DavidL said:

I am not being unfair or even particularly negative. I fully accept that she needed a bit of time to get her feet under the table, especially when the leadership election was so truncated. I just feel that time is coming to an end and look forward to her announcements and decisions in the coming weeks.

It seems an age ago now, but under the original timetable for the Conservative leadership contest, we wouldn't be expecting to hear the result until this coming Friday 9th Sept.

I have no doubt that the rapid resolution of the next PM (and Chancellor) question, and the fact that both positions went into safe hands, have been significant factors in reducing any immediate economic hit from the referendum result.
  • Options
    Patrick said:

FF43 said:

Pulpstar said:

Palmerston for me.

Crikey, is that not just a factor of age. As a young man I would have prioritised shagging over drinking (except, possibly, on rugger match days). Now, I think I'd sooner have a glass of whisky - far less stressful.
  • Options

It's Jamie Vardy iirc, "chat shit get banged".
  • Options

DavidL said:

It seems an age ago now, but under the original timetable for the Conservative leadership contest, we wouldn't be expecting to hear the result until this coming Friday 9th Sept.

I have no doubt that the rapid resolution of the next PM (and Chancellor) question, and the fact that both positions went into safe hands, have been a significant factor in reducing any immediate economic hit from the referendum result.
    It does show the difference between the party for grown ups and the party for children.
  • Options

DavidL said:

I have no doubt that the rapid resolution of the next PM (and Chancellor) question, and the fact that both positions went into safe hands, have been a significant factor in reducing any immediate economic hit from the referendum result.
    Agreed. To be frank I think it was a bit irresponsible of Cameron to take that step at that point and it certainly added greatly to the impact of the vote. Thankfully there does not appear to be any long term damage.

Hopefully she had plenty of time to think whilst walking the Swiss hills.
  • Options
    AnorakAnorak Posts: 6,621

Regarding Keith Vaz, I'm putting an end to any speculation about him, and posts regarding him now have to come from a reputable UK based news organisation. (Order Order doesn't count)

Legal letters are flying about, and I'm sure no one wants to get Mike into trouble

Am I allowed to state that I'm enjoying the on- and off-line media coverage of Mr Vaz immensely? 'Cos I am.
  • Options

PlatoSaid said:

Quentin Letts

Did the Speaker really have to call him today? Its amazing how many of the photos of Vaz used by the media have the Speaker in them.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,291
    Seems churlish not to share this one.

https://twitter.com/nedsimons/status/772801206620131329

Mr Burnham looks confused.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Agreed. To be frank I think it was a bit irresponsible of Cameron to take that step at that point and it certainly added greatly to the impact of the vote. Thankfully there does not appear to be any long term damage.

He had no choice but to quit on June 24th.

The usual suspects would have triggered a vote of no confidence in him (which he probably would have still won, but with enough rebels to make his position doubly untenable)

Additionally can you imagine how Leavers would have reacted if Dave had tried to implement Brexit. They'd be screaming betrayal if Dave ordered for breakfast a continental breakfast and not a full English.
  • Options
    Another teetotaller pegged as Pitt the Younger. Curious.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

It's Jamie Vardy iirc, "chat shit get banged".
    I'm sure the Bodycount version was first...
  • Options
    DavidL said:

PlatoSaid said:

Quentin Letts

Did the Speaker really have to call him today? Its amazing how many of the photos of Vaz used by the media have the Speaker in them.
    Well he remains Chair of the Home Affairs Select Committee so it is right and proper that he always gets to ask a question of the Home Secretary.
  • Options
    Just caught up with Paddy Ashdown's brownshirt remarks. Do the Lib Dems not have the capability of putting the old fool out to pasture. He made a tit of himself in May last year and again after the referendum. If he wants to call leave voters brownshirts then I think calling remain voters quisling traitors is fair game. I think it is clear that Paddy, at least, is a traitor and would sell this country down the river to get himself on the EU gravy train like Kinnock. It's a shame that treason is no longer a real crime in this country, Blair obviously knew what he was doing.
  • Options

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

He had no choice but to quit on June 24th.

The usual suspects would have triggered a vote of no confidence in him (which he probably would have still won, but with enough rebels to make his position doubly untenable)

Additionally can you imagine how Leavers would have reacted if Dave had tried to implement Brexit. They'd be screaming betrayal if Dave ordered for breakfast a continental breakfast and not a full English.
    Most the Brexiteers were urging him not to resign. He had already announced that he was standing down before the next election. I don't think that there would have been any immediate outcry. But losing a dominant PM and Chancellor in immediate response to such a decision was not helpful.
  • Options
    dr_spyn said:

Seems churlish not to share this one.

https://twitter.com/nedsimons/status/772801206620131329

Mr Burnham looks confused.

Any more than usual? I find it hard to tell.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,234

Patrick said:

FF43 said:

Pulpstar said:

Palmerston for me.

Crikey, is that not just a factor of age. As a young man I would have prioritised shagging over drinking (except, possibly, on rugger match days). Now, I think I'd sooner have a glass of whisky - far less stressful.
    Dear me! It's not either/or. It's one before the other and often after as well and, if you so desire, during.

• Options
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Re Cameron. Probably you are right but it just went to show the depth of the man. Unsound from the start as some of us on here tried to explain. He was never really up to the job but probably the best of the bunch at the time he got it.

I do hope you are right about TM thinking whilst she was walking. I have had some of my best and most constructive ideas doing just that. As did Mozart. Movement and good thinking seem to go together.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,154
    Some of us on here did predict that there would be no post-Brexit house-price slump. Rather, that the fall in the pound would see foreign buyers piling in at bargain prices. And lo, it came to pass:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-uk-leaves-the-eu-37260267
This discussion has been closed.