Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Why in spite of the YouGov selectorate poll Don Brind still

SystemSystem Posts: 11,711
edited September 2016 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Why in spite of the YouGov selectorate poll Don Brind still thinks the LAB race is too close to call.

Mike Smithson doesn’t pay me to play safe. Or to put it another way, I write for the prestige of appearing on PB but Mike is more than happy for me to stick my neck out.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    Don is hanging a lot on people registered July to August but presumably the Corbyn side were registering people during this period too, no? Even if Shaving Labour got more than Corbyn during this time, that sounds like you'd need quite a serious polling failure for the period whose voters YouGov is getting.
  • Options
    YellowSubmarineYellowSubmarine Posts: 2,740
    edited September 2016
    My experience of being a You Gov panel member is this. #1 When I told them in the early naughties I was a political party member I immeadiately stopped getting VI polls. #2 Very recently I've had two detailed questionnaires about whether I am currently an activist, affiliate of or full member of a political party. So at least they are trying. Which of course doesn't mean they've succeeded.
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    The Don leaving another horses head on the PB pillow ....

You have been warned ....

Chortle ..
  • Options
    PlatoSaidPlatoSaid Posts: 10,383
    Hmm.

I've completed four very detailed YouGov's aimed at the Party member/supporter demographic this year. YouGov's polling for the last Labour leader election was almost spot on.

And IIRC there was discussion FPT about a photo of Smith's internal numbers on display behind a shot of him. The gist was that YouGov's numbers are in line with his - and it's not close.

Worth noting that Don Brind is a Press Officer for Saving Labour.
  • Options
    YellowSubmarineYellowSubmarine Posts: 2,740
    edited September 2016
    Sturgeon effortlessly beats Corbyn and Farron to the ' Sweet Spot ' on a centre left response to Brexit. She's also assimilated Brexit perfectly into her #indyref2 strategy. Make high profile attempts to be seen trying to make the Union work by offering to cooperate in UK wide centre left projects which the Tories will never agree to. Thus proving the Union doesn't. " Work ". At least we still have one national. Calibre centre leader while Labour and the Lib Dems are radioactive slag heaps. Until that is she destroys the nation. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-37266240
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,211
    Is the same Reg Race that lost Chesterfield to the Lib Dems in 2001?
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,427
    I'm sorry but this is ridiculous. Are people really supposed to risk their hard earned on this sort of wishful thinking?
  • Options
    Is this the same Reg Race who was briefly, and a long time ago, MP for Wood Green?

He was a big pal of JC's in those days. Anyone know what they fell out over?
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,971
    Don is being paid by the Smith campaign or its affiliates, right?
  • Options
    There is certainly buyers' remorse among members who voted for Corbyn last time. In the press, even Owen Jones is beginning to realise what a disaster Corbyn is. But I am afraid Don is wrong: Corbyn will get around 60% because new members and £25ers are breaking strongly for him. I really don't know why he is pushing this too close to call line.

That said, I am more certain than ever that Corbyn is not going to destroy Labour. It'll take a bit of time and will gift what is shaping up to be a very poor government the next general election, but there are enough floating Corbynistas out there giving him one more chance to ensure that his inevitable squandering of the goodwill he has will prove terminal for him.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

No.
  • Options
    It is good to have a contrarian view. But as we know, Mr Brind has skin in the game.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,971

Sandpit said:

No.
    Thanks for clarifying Mike.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    New points based system, need 100 points to enter:

Are you from the EU?
    Yes +100 points
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    It doesn't sound plausible to me, but if Don calls this right it will be quite a feather in his cap.

Not one for my book.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

Are you from the EU?
    Yes +100 points

At the G20 Brexit Britain and its Prime Minister met reality.

• Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    Well, as someone who is extremely doubtful about Smith's chances, I take my hat off to Mr Brind who has steadfastly kept to his view.
  • Options
    FPT for @foxinsoxuk

http://www.keithvazmp.com/contact-me/

Keith Vaz MP
    123 Belgrave Road
    Leicester, LE4 6AS

Check it out on Streetview. TV footage from there yesterday, voxpops up and down the Golden Mile. Innit?
  • Options

Alistair said:

Are you from the EU?
    Yes +100 points

At the G20 Brexit Britain and its Prime Minister met reality.

To me that's just show politics, the reality will be behind the scenes.
  • Options

There is certainly buyers' remorse among members who voted for Corbyn last time. In the press, even Owen Jones is beginning to realise what a disaster Corbyn is. But I am afraid Don is wrong: Corbyn will get around 60% because new members and £25ers are breaking strongly for him. I really don't know why he is pushing this too close to call line.

That said, I am more certain than ever that Corbyn is not going to destroy Labour. It'll take a bit of time and will gift what is shaping up to be a very poor government the next general election, but there are enough floating Corbynistas out there giving him one more chance to ensure that his inevitable squandering of the goodwill he has will prove terminal for him.

Corbyn is half of the problem. The other half is the rest of the SpAd-generation Labour Party can offer no credible candidate against him. Labour must hope stars will emerge from the Shadow Cabinet once normal service is resumed after the conference season, facing a government scarred by Brexit and led by a Prime Minister whose sole achievement in six years as Home Secretary was not getting sacked for letting immigration spin out of control and the Border Force farce.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

Are you from the EU?
    Yes +100 points

Whereas the Leave campaign was "Are you white, and is English your mother tongue?" Yes = 100 points.

Or have I missed something?

• Options

Well, as someone who is extremely doubtful about Smith's chances, I take my hat off to Mr Brind who has steadfastly kept to his view.

I have no doubt at all that Mr Brind wishes this to be so, that he is doing his best to make it so and that he correctly believes that the future of the Labour party is at stake. But, in one of my favourite quotes from Dune, "if wishes were fishes we'd all cast nets."
  • Options
    runnymederunnymede Posts: 2,536
    Silly season still in full swing on PB
  • Options

Alistair said:

Are you from the EU?
    Yes +100 points

Whereas the Leave campaign was "Are you white, and is English your mother tongue?" Yes = 100 points.

Or have I missed something?

Muslim: -100 points ?
  • Options

Sturgeon effortlessly beats Corbyn and Farron to the ' Sweet Spot ' on a centre left response to Brexit. She's also assimilated Brexit perfectly into her #indyref2 strategy. Make high profile attempts to be seen trying to make the Union work by offering to cooperate in UK wide centre left projects which the Tories will never agree to. Thus proving the Union doesn't. " Work ". At least we still have one national. Calibre centre leader while Labour and the Lib Dems are radioactive slag heaps. Until that is she destroys the nation. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-37266240

My God, a 'liberal' engaging in desperate admiration of the SNP leader. Things really have come to a sorry pass for the 'winning here' brigade.
  • Options
    edited September 2016

FPT for @foxinsoxuk

Keith Vaz MP
    123 Belgrave Road
    Leicester, LE4 6AS

Check it out on Streetview. TV footage from there yesterday, voxpops up and down the Golden Mile. Innit?

Uppingham Rd

http://maps.google.com/maps?layer=c&panoid=mp5TNcRNWmm9M7UIGIzw3A&cbp=1,345.72577,,3.0,0.68553925

This is the one opposite the Silver Star office, the charity mentioned in reports. He seems to have more than one office. This is the one the Silver Star van parks at.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

Don is hanging a lot on people registered July to August but presumably the Corbyn side were registering people during this period too, no? Even if Shaving Labour got more than Corbyn during this time, that sounds like you'd need quite a serious polling failure for the period whose voters YouGov is getting.

What I don't understand is the assumption that evetyone from the "Saving Labour" website is a Smith Voter. I know that's what they were aiming for but surely, given they are adults of sound mind, some of them may make their own decision
  • Options

FPT for @foxinsoxuk

Keith Vaz MP
    123 Belgrave Road
    Leicester, LE4 6AS

Uppingham Rd

http://maps.google.com/maps?layer=c&panoid=mp5TNcRNWmm9M7UIGIzw3A&cbp=1,345.72577,,3.0,0.68553925

This is the one opposite the Silver Star office, the charity mentioned in reports. He seems to have more than one office. This is the one the Silver Star van parks at.
    Have a look at Belgrave Rd. His smiling mug gurns brightly.
  • Options
    Charles said:

What I don't understand is the assumption that evetyone from the "Saving Labour" website is a Smith Voter. I know that's what they were aiming for but surely, given they are adults of sound mind, some of them may make their own decision
    Sound mind, Labour party member, venn diagram, hmm..
  • Options
    runnymede said:

My God, a 'liberal' engaging in desperate admiration of the SNP leader. Things really have come to a sorry pass for the 'winning here' brigade.
    Sturgeon is a very talented politician. I would rather Scotland stayed in the Union, but she has a mandate to keep Scotland in the EU. How she resolves this is a matter for Scots.

With Labour deserting the field of battle, I wouldn't mind the SNP being designated as the official opposition in Parliament. We are likely to hear more sense from them.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,187
    edited September 2016
    Yougov has got every Tory and Labour leadership race right since 2001, the only thing that is too close to call is whether Smith is humiliated or merely heavily defeated!
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453

she has a mandate to keep Scotland in the EU.

No, she doesn't.
  • Options
    Chuka Umunna on Today calling for a reform of free movement in the wake of rising populist anti immigration parties across the EU while also stressing the vital importance of the UK maintaining some membership of the single market
  • Options

runnymede said:

Sturgeon is a very talented politician. I would rather Scotland stayed in the Union, but she has a mandate to keep Scotland in the EU. How she resolves this is a matter for Scots.

With Labour deserting the field of battle, I wouldn't mind the SNP being designated as the official opposition in Parliament. We are likely to hear more sense from them.
    I'll repeat my previous remark.

I always felt there was very little 'liberal' in the Liberal Democrats. Their pathetic hero-worship of a nasty piece of work like Sturgeon just illustrates that.
  • Options

FPT for @foxinsoxuk

Keith Vaz MP
    123 Belgrave Road
    Leicester, LE4 6AS

Uppingham Rd

Have a look at Belgrave Rd. His smiling mug gurns brightly.
    I am sure it does!

The allegation was improper use of Silver Star funds to pay for "other activities", I was pointing out how close Vaz is to that organisation physically from his office.

Indeed if you twirl the streetview link I posted you can see the Silver Star office.

• Options
    Scott_P said:

No, she doesn't.
    Correct. Whilst Scotland voted to remain in the EU the question asked was not whether Scots were willing to choose union with the EU over union with the UK. With more than 4 times as much trade to the latter as the former and with our economy vastly more integrated with the latter that is a question to which there is only one sane answer.
  • Options

runnymede said:

Sturgeon will do whatever it takes to secure Scottish independence. If she thought leaving the EU would make it more likely, that's what she'd advocate.

• Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,139
    Scott_P said:

No, she doesn't.
    Oh yes she does
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    Scott_P said:

No, she doesn't.
    Staying in Europe was the Better Together main point, they lied and so we need a rerun.
  • Options
    TonyETonyE Posts: 938

runnymede said:

Sturgeon will do whatever it takes to secure Scottish independence. If she thought leaving the EU would make it more likely, that's what she'd advocate.

The Problem with Sturgeon, as was clear also with some of the Brexiteers, that independence was an end in itself. They have in common that they have no plan for what do do with it. It's mantra, a reason for existence. She is wedded to it, but has nothing to back it except almost religious levels of belief.
  • Options
    Good morning, everyone.

Mr. Brind, the good thing about sticking your neck out is that, like Kryten, you can fully engage smug mode if you're right.
  • Options
    runnymede said:

runnymede said:

I always felt there was very little 'liberal' in the Liberal Democrats. Their pathetic hero-worship of a nasty piece of work like Sturgeon just illustrates that.
    I do not agree with the SNP, but undeniably the leadership of Salmond then Sturgeon has transformed the political landscape. While disagreeing with them it is perfectly possible to respect their political talents.

If Brexit breaks up the UK (as seems likely), I shall be sorry. Leavers cannot say that they weren't warned.
  • Options

runnymede said:

I'm afraid she doesn't.

Foreign policy is a reserved matter for Westminster and Scotland voted to stay in the Union.

If Scotland wishes to have its own independent foreign policy then it can, of course, vote for independence.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,079
    DavidL said:

Scott_P said:

No, she doesn't.
    Correct. Whilst Scotland voted to remain in the EU the question asked was not whether Scots were willing to choose union with the EU over union with the UK. With more than 4 times as much trade to the latter as the former and with our economy vastly more integrated with the latter that is a question to which there is only one sane answer.
    And yet 45% thought it a good idea to break From the uk even when it was claimed that could also mean breaking from the eu. Sane or not, let's never forget they only need 5% more to dream enough to ignore the risks, or even fewer if some previous union supporters stay home or switch sides. Some recent polls have been encouraging, but then they were encouraging a long way out last time and we still got nervous moments.
  • Options
    On topic, no. Corbyn will win. And by a clear margin.

Next.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Scott_P said:

No, she doesn't.
    Oh yes she does
    Sturgeon is struggling otherwise why the sympathy stuff about her losing a baby? Its no one else's business.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-37270135
  • Options

runnymede said:

runnymede said:

I do not agree with the SNP, but undeniably the leadership of Salmond then Sturgeon has transformed the political landscape. While disagreeing with them it is perfectly possible to respect their political talents.

If Brexit breaks up the UK (as seems likely), I shall be sorry. Leavers cannot say that they weren't warned.
    The U.K. Was already on its last legs as the dominance of the SNP showed.
  • Options
    As an exercise in wishful thinking, looking for reasons why the Labour leadership contest could be closer than the YouGov poll suggests, I can come up with these:
    1. The problems that Don has set out in terms of the Saving Labour recruits and the treatment of member-supporter switchers. There is a bit of evidence in the YouGov polling tables for the reweighting, comparing the weighted and unweighted numbers.
    2. Whether YouGov used responses from people who have been disqualified from voting under the "purge" of new sign ups that may have been more significant than we realise - it has been significant enough to get Corbyn's people hot and bothered.
    3. The boost in recent recruits has been facilitated by the internet, yet there are still a significant number of long standing often more elderly members who just don't use the internet. Our local CLP has great difficulty contacting about 15% of members who haven't supplied an internet address, so YouGov will have had the same problem. They will break heavily for Smith.

Putting all this into the mix, I still though can't get close to Don's assertion that the election is too close to call. The margins in the YouGov poll were just too great. Adding in a further dose of cold water to offset my confirmation bias, I now expect Smith to get 40% to 45% and to fall just short of carrying the fully paid up membership. If Smith did somehow manage to carry the latter, with Corbyn reliant on supporters in order to win, it would still be a huge blow to Corbyn's authority.
  • Options
    Moses_Moses_ Posts: 4,865
    Crypes , guidos gone balls deep on his Monday morning view.

( warning cartoon contains nudity and "flashing" images which cannot be ......."unseen")
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Yes, the way the SNP dominated less than half the vote for Indy showed the UK is finished.

Oh, wait...

Maybe you mean the way they dominate a majority minority of seats at Holyrood?
  • Options

runnymede said:

I'm afraid she doesn't.

Foreign policy is a reserved matter for Westminster and Scotland voted to stay in the Union.

If Scotland wishes to have its own independent foreign policy then it can, of course, vote for independence.
    So you agree that Brexit is a material change of foreign policy (?the biggest one for 4 decades) that justifies a further independence referendum?

I suppose it would not if a Brexit deal kept access to the Single Market alongside the 4 freedoms, but I cannot see May agreeing that.

It looks like the end of the UK to me, but that is what was voted for in June.

• Options
    runnymede said:

I enjoy your dyspeptic verbal abuse in a mildly Sadomasochistic way Runnymede. However even allowing for your signature style that's unfair, not faithful to the tone of what I observed and rather lazy Ad Hominem.

May is crafting a new post Brexit synthesis of Leave and Remain voters. She'll succeed unless pro Europeans cast it as a thesis and come up with there own coherent antithesis. So far only Sturgeon and Open Britain have.

I'm part of the dwindling minority of white Britons who see Britishness as their primary identity. As I observe in my post Sturgeon's only real goal is destroying the most successful political Union in human history. Perhaps this is " desperate admiration " but if you disagree with my analysis of what's going on do better than that.
  • Options

malcolmg said:

Scott_P said:

No, she doesn't.
    Oh yes she does
    Sturgeon is struggling otherwise why the sympathy stuff about her losing a baby? Its no one else's business.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-37270135
    You really are a nasty piece of work.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,014
    edited September 2016
    Dr. Foxinsox, do you think it's legitimate for one part of the country to hold the rest to ransom?

I hope Scotland remains in the UK, but if the desires of England/Wales and Scotland have diverged so much it's impossible for us to remain in one nation-state, it should end.

The UK cannot either permit Scotland to exercise veto rights over British policy, nor can it force Scotland to remain an unwilling member of the UK.

As a Leave voter, I'm somewhat more comfortable with the prospect of post-independence [for Scotland] relations, providing (as with the EU) daft sods on either side don't end up making decisions.

Edited extra bit: and it's worth noting that, when giving the vote, Scots opted to remain in the UK.
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    malcolmg said:

Scott_P said:

No, she doesn't.
    Staying in Europe was the Better Together main point, they lied and so we need a rerun.
    It wasn't a lie, Malcolm, they simply predicted which way any EuroRef woukd go wrong. And regardless of whether there is a good reason for a rerun, regrettably I'd say yes there is, the point was the technical point that the EuroRef result was not a mandate to keep Scotland in the eu by any means necessary including independence. Scotland might decide that, the high level of support for the eu and the SNP may suggest that, but that doesn't make a vote which did not have that as an option a mandate. Just as the EuroRef vote was a mandate for leaving, not a mandate for any specific leave, soft or hard, even if polls suggest the public back one or the other.

A very good excuse for a rerun is not a mandate to leave the uk in order to stay in the eu. You clearly accept that, precisely because the rerun woukd need to happen. If she had a mandate to stay in the eu a rerun woukd not be needed.
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,691
    edited September 2016
    Off topic, I was infuriated by Obama's comments at the G20. Puffed up pompous little Britain-hating prat.

I hope May tells him (or Clinton, who will doubtless be similiar) to jog on next time Uncle Sam wants our help. I also hope the US falls flat on its face with TTIP.

Special relationship my arse.
  • Options
    edited September 2016

runnymede said:

I enjoy your dyspeptic verbal abuse in a mildly Sadomasochistic way Runnymede. However even allowing for your signature style that's unfair, not faithful to the tone of what I observed and rather lazy Ad Hominem.

May is crafting a new post Brexit synthesis of Leave and Remain voters. She'll succeed unless pro Europeans cast it as a thesis and come up with there own coherent antithesis. So far only Sturgeon and Open Britain have.

I'm part of the dwindling minority of white Britons who see Britishness as their primary identity. As I observe in my post Sturgeon's only real goal is destroying the most successful political Union in human history. Perhaps this is " desperate admiration " but if you disagree with my analysis of what's going on do better than that.
    I was born in England, but have Scots, Welsh and Irish Protestant ancestry as well as English. I always identify as British on forms.
  • Options

Off topic, I was infuriated by Obama's comments at the G20. Puffed up pompous little Britain-hating prat.

I hope May tells him (or Clinton, who will doubtless be similiar) to jog on next time Uncle Sam wants our help. I also hope the US falls flat on its face with TTIP.

May not be quite the way to speak to the leader of the largest destination for UK exports outside the EU but clearly BREXIT backers should be cheering on Trump and hoping he beats Hillary in November (and that if she does win at least the GOP hold Congress)
  • Options
    Mr. Submarine, when it comes to destroying Britishness as an identity, Blair and New Labour did more damage than Sturgeon. Constitutional tinkering (but only for red areas) and opening the migration floodgates whilst banging on about multi-culturalism has done more to harm Britishness than anything Sturgeon's done.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

kle4 said:

Yes, the way the SNP dominated less than half the vote for Indy showed the UK is finished.

Oh, wait...

Usual Tory lies, it is an STV system , any idiot knows that, try the Westminster one that you seem to have forgotten. You think 56 out of 59 is not dominant
  • Options

runnymede said:

I'm afraid she doesn't.

So you agree that Brexit is a material change of foreign policy (?the biggest one for 4 decades) that justifies a further independence referendum?

I suppose it would not if a Brexit deal kept access to the Single Market alongside the 4 freedoms, but I cannot see May agreeing that.

Actually it is now very clear May is moving precisely to agree a deal retaining some single market membership for the UK as her statement yesterday ditching Vote Leave's points system makes clear. May made clear outside No 10 the Union was more important to her than hard BREXIT and her first visit was to see Sturgeon after all
  • Options

runnymede said:

I'm afraid she doesn't.

No, certainly not. I did not say that - please don't put words into my mouth.

But, if Scottish membership of the EU is deemed to be more important than a 300 year old political union within its own home islands, then that Union was doomed anyway.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

kle4 said:

Oh, wait...

They are the dominant force the same way labour still are in Wales. Yes they don't have a majority, but no one else comes close to them. And having a nationalist party seeking independence as the most powerful force is very bad for the prospects of the Union long term. I'm hoping the SNP will fade enough to prevent a Scottish exit, all parties will fade, but we need to overcome the Brexit issue fast. But the problem is not really the SNP it is that huge numbers have no affection or regard for the union and others actively hate it. We need to address the former on both sides of the birder, and until we do the union is at severe risk.

I've said it before - if I had thought remaining in the eu would guarantee Scotland remaining in the uk, I'd have voted remain.
  • Options

runnymede said:

I was born in England, but have Scots, Welsh and Irish Protestant ancestry as well as English. I always identify as British on forms.
    I was born in Scotland, have some Irish ancestry and always always identify as Scottish.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

You think 56 out of 59 is not dominant

Right, Malky. 56 seats gives them a majority of...

...none.

That's domination in anyone's book.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Scott_P said:

kle4 said:

Oh, wait...

Usual Tory lies, it is an STV system , any idiot knows that, try the Westminster one that you seem to have forgotten. You think 56 out of 59 is not dominant
    bit techy this morning malc, bit of a hangover >?
  • Options
    edited September 2016

runnymede said:

I'm afraid she doesn't.

No it wasn't. I think it has precipitated an already likely outcome , but even I would not say that was what was voted for, because it is not yet certain it will happen.
  • Options

runnymede said:

I've lost track. I largely agree with your points on Britishness but over the weekend you were lamenting the loss of your European identity, which you believed to be fundamental to you, if I recall correctly.

Which is it?
  • Options
    Moses_Moses_ Posts: 4,865

runnymede said:

runnymede said:

Hang on a minute.

Less than 2 years ago Scotland almost voted to leave and break up the UK arbitrarily without any other parts of this Union given a say. This is despite being told they would not have automatic membership to the EU after doing so and would have to apply as if a new member.

They had every right to take that vote and then proceed in any way they democratically chose but lets just be a bit careful how we start to rewrite history here and blame a full referendum on " break ups"

• Options
    Has he been reading PB?

@paddyashdown: The Tory Brexit brownshirts are stirring. Betrayal is the word most likely to be heard in the run up to the Tory Conference.
  • Options
    Better Together?

@nickeardleybbc: Nicola Sturgeon offers "coalition" with like-minded UK ministers who want to stay in European single market https://t.co/8XY2V5bRzW
  • Options

runnymede said:

I've lost track. I largely agree with your points on Britishness but over the weekend you were lamenting the loss of your European identity, which you believed to be fundamental to you, if I recall correctly.

Which is it?

Surely an identity is multi-layered.

• Options
    "Mike Smithson doesn’t pay me to play safe ..."

I should hope the first five words are sufficient, to be honest.
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    ''May is crafting a new post Brexit synthesis of Leave and Remain voters.''

That's if you're being extremely kind to fudger May. And here we can see the awful weakness of May. Her total inability to take a radical decision, run with it and take responsibility for it. Just in case, you know, it goes wrong. In which case it will be someone else's fault completely.

She doesn;t want hard Brexit, she doesn;t want soft Brexit. She wants a kind of soft Brexit with hardish characteristics. Possibly. Or not. Um.....

The press are already getting restive that leavers are being sold down the river.

May is UKIP's preferred candidate.
  • Options

runnymede said:

Which is it?
    Because people can't have duel or multilayered identies ? You might as well argue I can't feel English and British. The forced choice between feeling British and European is ludicrous.
  • Options
    Of course, those who want an objective analysis when it comes to European events and what the future might hold should check my post-race analysis of the Italian Grand Prix:
    http://enormo-haddock.blogspot.co.uk/2016/09/italy-post-race-analysis-2016.html
  • Options
    @AlbertoNardelli: Sarkozy pledges to renegotiate Touquet, says UK asylum claims should be dealt with in Britain not in France https://t.co/7DFI063anI
  • Options
    Mr. Submarine, agree, but a problem is that when beret-wearing clowns 'march for Europe' the unspoken subtext is that they're marching against Britain (or, at least, against the democratic decision of the British people).

On May: nothing firm has been said, either way.
  • Options

Turn your telescope around, you're looking through the wrong end.
  • Options
    May made clear outside No 10 the Union was more important to her than hard BREXIT and her first visit was to see Sturgeon after all''

Music to UKIP's ears.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

runnymede said:

I'm afraid she doesn't.

No it wasn't. I think it has precipitated an already likely outcome , but even I would not say that was what was voted for, because it is not yet certain it will happen.
    Especially when the latest poll has No ahead 54% to 46% in any indyref 2
  • Options

runnymede said:

Which is it?
    Because people can't have duel or multilayered identies ? You might as well argue I can't feel English and British. The forced choice between feeling British and European is ludicrous.
    You can feel what you like; I was curious about your position.
  • Options

runnymede said:

I must ask - do you talk like this too?

I'm as keen on *big words* as the average PBer - and very occasionally look one up - however you're getting close to Pseuds Corner recently.
  • Options
    Hardly a household name but the steady trickle of such folk reminds me of a melting glacier. http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/14722018.Leading_Better_Together_campaigner_calls_for_indyref2_to_end_austerity/?ref=ar
  • Options
    ''On May: nothing firm has been said, either way.''

And it won;'t be, because May hates making firm decisions.
  • Options

Whatever.

But he is a pompous prat, isn't he?

It's no wonder he's such a divisive figure in the US.
  • Options
    @HetanShah: This stream from @SamCoatesTimes is worth reading for the runes on Britain on the world stage https://t.co/ezzqKAitjg
  • Options
    On topic, Don is putting tremendous emphasis on one piece of data, to the exclusion of all others that suggest an alternative outcome. At best, that looks like confirmation bias.

To what extent do we know that the alleged 120,000 who signed up through Saving Labour *were* all anti-Corbyn? That's Don's working assumption but it's at the extreme end of the conclusions that might be drawn. From that number:

- How many thought 'Saving Labour' meant saving Corbyn? Even if they visited the site under a false impression, the link was still good for them.

- How many were already registered under some existing membership arrangement and have since had their vote via that registration withdrawn?

- How many will vote when given their chance? Is a 100% turnout realistic?

- How many have seen Smith since signing up and been disillusioned in some way, sufficient to swing their vote to Corbyn, on top of the abstentions?

And then of course there's the other side of the equation. Even if the 120k do all support Smith, would it overturn Corbyn's majority with the rest of the selectorate?

I accept that methodologically, this is a hard election for YouGov or anyone else to poll. All the same, I think it would be unprecedented for them to be as far out as 12% on a vote share. The reality is that whereas for something like Brexit or the 2015GE, when the result is very tight and being slightly out in the figures flips the outcome, here, even if YouGov are double the MoE out in Corbyn's lead, that would still leave him ahead by double-figures.
  • Options
    taffys said:

That's if you're being extremely kind to fudger May. And here we can see the awful weakness of May. Her total inability to take a radical decision, run with it and take responsibility for it. Just in case, you know, it goes wrong. In which case it will be someone else's fault completely.

She doesn;t want hard Brexit, she doesn;t want soft Brexit. She wants a kind of soft Brexit with hardish characteristics. Possibly. Or not. Um.....

The press are already getting restive that leavers are being sold down the river.

How many variables are there in what Brexit might eventually look like ? 1000, 10000, 50000 ? All to be negotiated with at least 27 other governments. Of course she doesn't know what she wants yet. Brexiteers who've devoted their lives to this moment seem rather vague about what they want. Why should May be any clearer ?
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

@AlbertoNardelli: Sarkozy pledges to renegotiate Touquet, says UK asylum claims should be dealt with in Britain not in France https://t.co/7DFI063anI

This is no surprise. Sarkozy is running to be the candidate next year. Expect more 'get tough' stuff along similar lines.
  • Options
    taffys said:

I wouldn't say that - she isn't going to try to prevent Brexit for a start - but there is definitely a worry among some Leavers that it might not happen at all - I've heard several people express that fear - and plenty of others who will act as though the result is being stolen from them if they don't get exactly what they want, even if it is unachievable.

May, looking for as easy a ride as possible, will probably have to go for a harder Brexit than she would like, if not as hard as the hardest want.
  • Options

Whatever.

But he is a pompous prat, isn't he?

It's no wonder he's such a divisive figure in the US.
    If he's divisive how do you explain his 55% approval rating with American voters?
  • Options

I've had zero time for Obama for about 6yrs. He takes a very long time to say almost nothing. Speechifying is the perfect description. Why anyone here is paying attention to him over Brexit perplexes me. He's well into lame duck mode.

My favourite observation of his platitudes remains this...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x5hmqDuuCRk
  • Options
    perdixperdix Posts: 1,806
    taffys said:

Well. she has decided that there will be no second referendum and there will be no early election. Pretty firm I would say.

• Options
    HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

runnymede said:

I'm afraid she doesn't.

Especially when the latest poll has No ahead 54% to 46% in any indyref 2
    Long many it continue. Fingers crossed.
    Scott_P said:

Indeed, UK asylum claims should. And those in France, a safe place, must seek asylum there first. Looks like the long run up to the French elections should be fun.

Good day all.
  • Options
    perdix said:

taffys said:

Well. she has decided that there will be no second referendum and there will be no early election. Pretty firm I would say.

She has stated it firmly. Only time will tell how firm a decision it was.
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

runnymede said:

I must ask - do you talk like this too?

I'm as keen on *big words* as the average PBer - and very occasionally look one up - however you're getting close to Pseuds Corner recently.
    Oh I'm much worse with speech. Speech is my strong point. I've always been crippling weak with the written word. I was in Special Needs at school for it. Of course that was just before computers and typing became common place. I'll trying and be more prosiac. Mea Culpa, Mea Maxima Culpa. Without using words like prosiac. Or Latin.
  • Options

Just because Obama says stuff you don't want to hear doesn't mean that he hates Britain.

• Options
    edited September 2016
    taffys said:

May made clear outside No 10 the Union was more important to her than hard BREXIT and her first visit was to see Sturgeon after all''

Music to UKIP's ears.

UKIP'S hard BREXIT position represents 30% of voters at best, they are in no position to dictate terms to the rest of the country, they are as bad as Remainers who want a second referendum
  • Options

Just because Obama says stuff you don't want to hear doesn't mean that he hates Britain.

Does it even matter what Obama thinks? He's gone in a few months
This discussion has been closed.