Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » I’m not sure a Jeremy Corbyn led Labour Party is equipped t

1235»

Comments

• Options

So do you want my Strictly thread or do you want my trolling the Kippers thread next?

Both are betting related threads...

Strictly, let's get some thoughts on a Balls win.
    Actually I've decided to go with the Kipper one, I've had a brainwave on how to improve the Strictly one.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Jeremy Corbyn is the Jive Bunny of British politics.

I have Jive Bunny's greatest hits cd and will email the MP3s to anyone who wants them.

People should not miss out on the joy of Jive Bunny
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607
    edited August 2016
    F1: Auto Motor und Sport are confirming that Hamilton will take two sets of parts in Spa giving him a 60 place grid penalty. Now guaranteed to start from the back, maybe even the pit lane.

If Hamilton is able to limit the damage and get into the top 5 then he has to be favourite for the title. Scott's 100/1 on Alonso or Button making the podium looks like a decent shout as well with Hamilton starting from the back. If one of the Ferraris has a bad day or one of the Bulls crashes then it Alonso or Button could pounce with their new PU.
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753

They certainly annoyed a lot of right on musos at the time, and that's a big plus.
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300

This is why I think Breitbart are a vile organisation, (It should be remembered her friend was shot and killed)

Crybaby MP Installs ‘Panic Room’ to Protect Her from Mean Words on the Internet

http://www.breitbart.com/tech/2016/08/24/british-mp-installs-panic-room-following-online-criticism/

Yeah but what price confidentiality if her surgeries are listened into?

“There is a panic room being fitted in my office, I now walk around with an alarm system that means people can listen to conversations,” said Phillips.

• Options
    PlatoSaidPlatoSaid Posts: 10,383
    This is painful and very amusing thread

Sunny Hundal
    Astonishing thread on contradictory excuses Corbyn's team gave on #traingate. God help us if they face a real crisis https://t.co/ovXt6Faiwd

Tom Hamilton
    A few tweets follow to clear up what *really* happened on that train - in the Jeremy Corbyn campaign's own words.
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    ''Actually I've decided to go with the Kipper one, I've had a brainwave on how to improve the Strictly one. ''

I worked with one of the contestants for a couple of years, my advice would be not to bet on her. Great person, but no athlete.
  • Options
    Animal_pbAnimal_pb Posts: 608
    taffys said:

''How common is that? Flights from those places to the UK are hardly free.''

I believe there are gangs in places such as Nigeria that organise it all. Its a business. The staff don;t give a f8ck of course. Imagine you are a local person whose family paid into the NHS for generations, however.

Of course, this matters not to the 'Portland class'. That is why they lost.

...I rather think you'd find that most of the Portland clients on this board - including Robert Smithson, no less - are Leavers.
  • Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,351
    Mr JS,

Floating on your back and keeping your mouth out of the water will keep you alive in warm water, if you don't panic. Not so certain in UK seas where hypothermia is a risk, even in summer.

• Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited August 2016
    PlatoSaid said:

Sunny Hundal
    Astonishing thread on contradictory excuses Corbyn's team gave on #traingate. God help us if they face a real crisis https://t.co/ovXt6Faiwd

Tom Hamilton
    A few tweets follow to clear up what *really* happened on that train - in the Jeremy Corbyn campaign's own words.

https://twitter.com/thhamilton/status/768725387501244417
    This excuse actually comes out of Jezza's own mouth....lying about a lie about a lie.

https://youtu.be/KIAjV9q7c2M?t=1m6s

• Options
    MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034

And to get the Nats' blood pressure up:

http://chokkablog.blogspot.co.id/2016/08/gers-story-told-through-graphs.html

MI7 have done a great job persuading everyone there's no such thing as Whisky export duty.....

Ms Vance. Thanks for the link to that excellent blog.

Interesting to see that the SNP is also in denial about the terms on which it could become a member of the EU. Insisting that Scotland could run a 9% deficit as a member because the UK did in 2009 misses the point that Scotland would have to reapply and therefore would be a member under different conditions than is/was the UK, so would not be permitted to run deficits over 3% without explicit EU permission.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-37185000
  • Options
    TSE = TORY!
  • Options

Jonathan said:

Jeremy Corbyn is the Jive Bunny of British politics.

I have Jive Bunny's greatest hits cd and will email the MP3s to anyone who wants them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aoi5sVsJqCY
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,898
    MaxPB said:

F1: Auto Motor und Sport are confirming that Hamilton will take two sets of parts in Spa giving him a 60 place grid penalty. Now guaranteed to start from the back, maybe even the pit lane.

If Hamilton is able to limit the damage and get into the top 5 then he has to be favourite for the title. Scott's 100/1 on Alonso or Button making the podium looks like a decent shout as well with Hamilton starting from the back. If one of the Ferraris has a bad day or one of the Bulls crashes then it Alonso or Button could pounce with their new PU.

You called that one right a few weeks ago, that Lewis could take two whole PUs in one race and start from the back with no further penalty. Good call!
  • Options
    kle4 said:

TSE I think you are being unduly harsh on Jez and certainly too pessimistic about the prospects of Labour in the medium term.

Yes Jez will almost certainly lead Labour to a reasonably heavy defeat at the next election (probably in 2020). However Labour were almost certain to lose it convincingly anyway, given their performance in 2015 and the effects of the boundary review.

What Jez HAS achieved is to put a whole raft of proper Labour polices; like Public Ownership of the railways, back on the national negotiating table.

Everything is cyclical in the end. At some stage, probably in the mid 2020's but possibly earlier, the public will decide to 'give the other lot a go' . When Labour does come to take its turn, Jez will have ensured it can take office as a proper Labour government and not the sort of Tory tribute act we saw in 1997.

On the basis that at some point a government will so old and tired the other lot will get another go, a premise in this country at least I generally agree with, I'm curious if you feel Blair and did not need to become a Tory tribute act to win in 1997? And I'm curious what Nick p feels about that government being called so, given he was in it and yet is also a Corbynite. Come to that, does Corbyn think it was a Tory tribute act, in which case why didn't he rebel even more!
    This thesis, with which I have a fair degree of sympathy, does beg the question of who will be the other lot at that point in time. It may not be Labour.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    rcs1000 said:

Pulpstar said:

rcs1000 said:

Pulpstar said:

rcs1000 said:

PlatoSaid said:

ONS
    5 areas in London have over 50% residents born outside the UK https://t.co/DCR8IBnAaq

The numbers for Westminster and Kensington & Chelsea are skewed by the big private maternity hospitals (The Portland, etc.). People actually fly into the UK to have their baby at the Portland or at St John & St Elizabeth.
    Is flying whilst almost due advisable ?
    Not really. But I think those coming from the Middle East book their C section date, and then a hotel for the month beforehand.
    Whats so good about popping a sprog in England specifically ?

Does the baby acquire "London rights" :) ?
    My wife had our children at the Portland, and it was as civilized an experience as childbirth is ever likely to be. The wine list was superb.
    Out of pocket it really hurts.

It's why I will never insure with Allianz - my wife was midway through the process with Portland and Allianz stopped coverage (or rather offered a continuation policy that explicitly excluded the treatment we had paid for and were receiving). Utterly unethical.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,797
    Jonathan said:

glw said:

AndyJS said:

One of my favourite statistics is that the population of the UK increased by only 650,000 during the 1970s. That's about two years' worth of growth these days.

It's closer to 500k a year right now. We need to build a new Birmingham worth of everything every two years just to stand still, never mind build enough to make up for the decades we have not met targets.
    1970s TV was better, hence the lower birthrate. The govt need to increase the licence fee.
    Comedies were better then and there's a lot more dross around now, but TV overall is far superior now.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,898
    edited August 2016
    taffys said:

They certainly annoyed a lot of right on musos at the time, and that's a big plus.

Remember that as a teenager. First people to score a #1 hit without writing a note or singing a lyric. Also Megabass from the same era, mixing contemporary tunes like a compilation album in five minutes. Never mind that everyone gave permission and got paid, certain sections of the music industry went bananas!
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    Charles said:

rcs1000 said:

Pulpstar said:

rcs1000 said:

Pulpstar said:

rcs1000 said:

PlatoSaid said:

ONS
    5 areas in London have over 50% residents born outside the UK https://t.co/DCR8IBnAaq

The numbers for Westminster and Kensington & Chelsea are skewed by the big private maternity hospitals (The Portland, etc.). People actually fly into the UK to have their baby at the Portland or at St John & St Elizabeth.
    Not really. But I think those coming from the Middle East book their C section date, and then a hotel for the month beforehand.

My wife had our children at the Portland, and it was as civilized an experience as childbirth is ever likely to be. The wine list was superb.

It's why I will never insure with Allianz - my wife was midway through the process with Portland and Allianz stopped coverage (or rather offered a continuation policy that explicitly excluded the treatment we had paid for and were receiving). Utterly unethical.
    You can't bet your life on private insurance.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929
    kle4 said:

Jonathan said:

glw said:

AndyJS said:

One of my favourite statistics is that the population of the UK increased by only 650,000 during the 1970s. That's about two years' worth of growth these days.

It's closer to 500k a year right now. We need to build a new Birmingham worth of everything every two years just to stand still, never mind build enough to make up for the decades we have not met targets.
    1970s TV was better, hence the lower birthrate. The govt need to increase the licence fee.
    Comedies were better then and there's a lot more dross around now, but TV overall is far superior now.
    Comedy has gone to utter shit in the last 20 years. Drama OTOH has been incredible.
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

Sunny Hundal

Tom Hamilton

I see a few defenders popping up with the same lame excuses like that people often do need to stand and that should be the scandal...but which is swiftly put down with the Inarguable point that you don't need to spin the truth in order to make that point.

It's fun, but I feel Traingate has had its day, carrying on much longer will just make me sad that some either overblow it, or insistently refuse to accept that the man spun a story to make himself look good, despite the evidence and contradictions.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Sandpit said:

MaxPB said:

Sandpit said:

Pulpstar said:

rcs1000 said:

Pulpstar said:

rcs1000 said:

PlatoSaid said:

ONS

British citizenship is a pretty big draw if you're from the Mid East or Africa.
    At the bottom end of the market the Africans get a letter from their 'doctor' saying they're 25 weeks and fit to travel, when they're actually 36 weeks.
    We don't have anchor babies in the UK.
    AIUI a baby born in the UK still gets a British passport for himself, even if not for his parents.
    Only if at least one of the parents is a British citizen. Otherwise the baby doesn't qualify and they will be shipped off home. I believe the reason for those letters is because the NHS is free at thr point of use and on Africa medical bills can be pretty high. They come here have the baby and then go back to Africa. We don't even stop them from leaving because the calculation is made that the court fees and accommodation costs will be higher and the chance of recovery is poor. With HIV positive women the chance of the baby contracting it during childbirth is also much lower in the UK than in Africa.

The NHS needs to start refusing treatment to foreign nationals until they have paid in advance for all of their costs. It seems harsh, but it is the NHS, not the IHS.
    The right to UK citizenship by virtue of birth in the UK was rescinded back in the 1980s.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Jonathan said:

glw said:

AndyJS said:

Pulpstar said:

kle4 said:

Jonathan said:

glw said:

AndyJS said:

Comedy has gone to utter shit in the last 20 years. Drama OTOH has been incredible.
    Indeed. As we're just pas the olympics is it like long jump and gymnastics I wonder - the record for the former has not moved much in decades and the jumpers now get nowhere near it, buy someone told me they saw comparisons of modern gymnastics with stuff from decades ago and it was like watching amateurs prance about with arthritis in comparison.
  • Options

NEW THREAD NEW THREAD

• Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    Jonathan said:

Charles said:

rcs1000 said:

Pulpstar said:

rcs1000 said:

Pulpstar said:

rcs1000 said:

PlatoSaid said:

ONS

You can't bet your life on private insurance.
    No but when you pay £300 per month for a policy that includes materity cover for the Portland you expect to receive it.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

kle4 said:

Jonathan said:

glw said:

AndyJS said:

I don't know. Modern Family, Blackish and a couple of others are good, albeit rather tame family sitcoms. I loved Arrested Development.

What I can't stand are the so-called stand up comedians who simply rant left-wing bile about anyone right of centre, without any introspection of the failings of left-wing politicians. They simply annoy me, even when what they say is genuinely funny.
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098
    CD13 said:

Mr JS,

Floating on your back and keeping your mouth out of the water will keep you alive in warm water, if you don't panic. Not so certain in UK seas where hypothermia is a risk, even in summer.

In the Battle of Britain, Summer 1940, a fair number of pilots were shot down over the channel. Assuming they survived the parachute jump, if they were not picked up quickly they died - from cold not drowning.
  • Options
    Animal_pbAnimal_pb Posts: 608
    Charles said:

rcs1000 said:

Pulpstar said:

rcs1000 said:

Pulpstar said:

rcs1000 said:

PlatoSaid said:

ONS

The health insurance (and pet insurance, for that matter) sector gives the rest of the industry a bad name.

Even out of pocket, though, it's difficult to say it's not worth it, surely?
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,035

Burnham may well be a hypocrite or worse, but has damn all to do with today's problems. The "look, squirrel" is to avoid criticism of the current regime.

No "look squirrel" there. I suggest you re-read my post and also various articles about the problems they have recruiting, such as the ones linked to below. Here's a particularly interesting snippet:

Mr Hacket said: "It is clear to me that the historic problems at Mid Staffs prevented Stafford Hospital from recruiting and retaining staff, which ultimately had an effect on patient care. Despite all of this, I believe the legacy of Mid Staffs on the NHS will be safer staffing and a change in the culture of the NHS where staff and patients are better listened to.

If the trust and the NHS had reacted differently in the mid-2000s, people would not have died and others would not have suffered unnecessarily. The HSE prosecution into those deaths succeeded. It's hard to get crew for a ship that's sunk, even if it's been partially raised.

I also suggest you talk to people in the local area about their thoughts about Stafford hospital. You might realise that Labour's (and your) fetishisation of the NHS as an organisation is distinctly unhelpful.

(I think there's at least one poster from Blythe Bridge way - it'd be interesting to get his/hew input).

http://www.staffordshirenewsletter.co.uk/patient-care-stafford-s-hospital-suffered/story-28379369-detail/story.html
    https://www.nursingtimes.net/clinical-archive/patient-safety/nurse-recruitment-problems-spark-urgent-mid-staffs-safety-review/5072090.article
    Surely that was Burnham's argument for not making the enquiry public.
    And Stafford would have continued being a basket case, and other trusts and hospitals would not have learnt some very important lessons that only came out in the public inquiry.

By the same argument, the Hllsborough inquiry should never have happened because it might damage trust in the police and their chances of recruitment.

In fact it's an argument for there never to be inquiries into wrong-doing in public bodies.

Personally, I'd rather the lessons be learnt. And preferably the sh*ts who dd wrong to get prosecuted, not just the trusts.

You seem to suffer from Burnham's sick affliction that a trust matters more than its patients' health.
This discussion has been closed.