Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The PLP indicate that they expect Corbyn to win and that th

1235»

Comments

• Options
    Moses_Moses_ Posts: 4,865
    edited August 2016
    "The athlete who captured the essence of the Olympic spirit in a single act of selfless kindness is to be rewarded for her act of sportsmanship.

New Zealand's Nikki Hamblin's stopped to assist Abbey D’Agostino after the American athlete who fell in agony after the pair tangled in their 5,000m race. D'Agostino urged to Hamblin to continue racing but the England-born refused to leave the American's side until a wheelchair could be brought to take her away"

By doing so she gave up a chance of a medal herself

"Now the IOC has decided to award the New Zealander the prestigious Pierre de Coubertin medal. Otherwise known as the International Fair Play Committee Award, the medal has only been awarded 17 times in Olympic history.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/olympics/2016/08/21/nikki-hamblin-awarded-rare-olympic-medal-following-touching-show/
  • Options
    MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034
    John_M said:

So thats it...end of the OmniShambles Games 2016....anybody fancy trip to Rio?

Good point. Rio has been terminated from my bucket list with extreme prejudice.
    Put it back on. They may not be able to organize a piss up in a brewery but Rio is spectacular
  • Options

viewcode said:

@Viewcode
    Herself emerged from her bath (one hour and thirty-two minutes, nearly but not quite a record) and when I took her an early evening cup of tea I explained that we had chosen each other by stochastic processing. I am afraid she laughed, laughed hard and finally said, "What rubbish".

(Stochastic programming, not processing: my bad)

It may sound like pretentious bollocks but it is actually true. People have short lifespans and little information concerning ideal mates. You start off at your starting point and move from one person to another in a probablistic fashion. The maths of this are known and the heuristic used to reach a good-enough solution is also known, and is as I described

This cropped up the other day in conversation, weirdly enough, during a viewing of "Cracked". It used to be that lonely-hearts-clubs ran by allowing people to select criteria and then be matched according to those criteria: a deterministic approach that always failed because people became too specific. Once people worked out that very rapidly cycling through a selection of randomly-generated candidates based on the two most important selection criteria (looks and location) worked more like people do IRL, then apps like Grindr and Tinder started to appear and that worked much better.

You learn something new every day... :)

Mr. Code, very interesting to find out how modern dating agencies work, but I am sceptical that is how people find partners off-line. It certainly doesn't fit my own experience or that of my wife. Maybe it is true for some but not a universal rule.
    Wonderful book on this called Probably Approximately Correct by Leslie Valiant. Well worth reading.
  • Options
    JonathanDJonathanD Posts: 2,400
    kle4 said:

John_M said:

He needs to calm down and stfu. If he hasn't figured out that it's complicated, he's even dimmer than I thought.
    I imagine he knows its complicated. But being on the outside now means he can stay in referendum mode to clamour for his preferred option without admitting there are various options to select.

It's a tactic, that's all.

A pleasant night to all.

We can have Brexit when IDS manages to get the Universal Credit system to work.

• Options
    John_M said:

John_M said:

kle4 said:
    I'm sure we all have views; pb was mostly EEA folk pre-referendum. I think people have moved on from that to a certain extent.

I'm perfectly content to leave Brexit execution to HMG. We can't hope to grasp all the complexities and tradeoffs that will have to be assessed, nor can we be expected to predict the overall tenor and scope of the ensuing multilateral negotiations. I just have to trust in PM May to do the right thing for the country I love, even if the result isn't to my taste.
    Even the city have gone off EEA/Passporting and say they would prefer equivalent regulation instead which is what the US do and apparently has much the same benefit as passporting.

They've worked out tbat outside the passporting regime its wholly uk regulated, among the benefits is the repeal of bonus caps.

It is a testament to the resilience of the economy and general confidence in ourselves that a hard brexit with something like the Canadian deal with Europe is on the agenda

- although if the EU and particularly Germany think we are serious about that they may make us a decent EFTA/EEA deal with movement restrictions that is too good to refuse - they have billions in lost membership fees if we don't stay in the single market which they need like a hole in the hesd.
    Agree with all of that apart from your last paragraph. Our contribution is peanuts in terms of the EU27 economy. From memory it's around 11 trillion Euros. I never understood why everyone (on both sides) seemed so exercised by the £18bn p.a. Even that gross figure is tiny in the great scheme of things. It's about a third of the money we spend on debt servicing. Net, its about a fifth.
    Im talking about the single market membership fee.

We currently pay them a net figure of £12 billion pa. If we stay in the single market we will still pay half to two thirds of that.

If we leave the EU has a massive hole in its budget. Germany in particular as the only other significant net contributor will want to avoid this at all costs, and countries like France, Holland and Eire will also face large hikes in EU membership fees to plug the gap.

Hence they wont want us out of the single market if a deal can be reached without losing too much face.
  • Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503
    MTimT said:

John_M said:

Put it back on. They may not be able to organize a piss up in a brewery but Rio is spectacular
    I shall admire it through the medium of Google Earth :).
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,292
    edited August 2016
    John_M said:

MTimT said:

John_M said:

With the big push on VR, you will be able to experience via that medium...if they go for true realism your virtual potter around Rio will also include the option for the realistic soundtrack of gun shots and sirens...and you never know you might even get a bonking couple on the beach.
  • Options

John_M said:

John_M said:

kle4 said:
    I'm sure we all have views; pb was mostly EEA folk pre-referendum. I think people have moved on from that to a certain extent.

I'm perfectly content to leave Brexit execution to HMG. We can't hope to grasp all the complexities and tradeoffs that will have to be assessed, nor can we be expected to predict the overall tenor and scope of the ensuing multilateral negotiations. I just have to trust in PM May to do the right thing for the country I love, even if the result isn't to my taste.
    Even the city have gone off EEA/Passporting and say they would prefer equivalent regulation instead which is what the US do and apparently has much the same benefit as passporting.

They've worked out tbat outside the passporting regime its wholly uk regulated, among the benefits is the repeal of bonus caps.

It is a testament to the resilience of the economy and general confidence in ourselves that a hard brexit with something like the Canadian deal with Europe is on the agenda

- although if the EU and particularly Germany think we are serious about that they may make us a decent EFTA/EEA deal with movement restrictions that is too good to refuse - they have billions in lost membership fees if we don't stay in the single market which they need like a hole in the hesd.
    Agree with all of that apart from your last paragraph. Our contribution is peanuts in terms of the EU27 economy. From memory it's around 11 trillion Euros. I never understood why everyone (on both sides) seemed so exercised by the £18bn p.a. Even that gross figure is tiny in the great scheme of things. It's about a third of the money we spend on debt servicing. Net, its about a fifth.

We currently pay them a net figure of £12 billion pa. If we stay in the single market we will still pay half to two thirds of that.

If we leave the EU has a massive hole in its budget. Germany in particular as the only other significant net contributor will want to avoid this at all costs, and countries like France, Holland and Eire will also face large hikes in EU membership fees to plug the gap.

Hence they wont want us out of the single market if a deal can be reached without losing too much face.
    I'm sorry Paul, it's not massive. 14bn euros is a very small shortfall. Germany could easily cover it. I'm sure it wouldn't want to, but the idea that Brexit screws the EU budget is flat out wrong.
  • Options
    john_zimsjohn_zims Posts: 3,399
    @Paul_Bedfordshire

'Im talking about the single market membership fee.

Hence they wont want us out of the single market if a deal can be reached without losing too much face.'

If Germany & France don't want to fill in the funding gap then there will be several countries with significant holes in their EU handouts.

In reality a few billion contribution for single market access will buy a lot of a la carte for the UK.

• Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,088
    nunu said:

SeanT said:

malcolmg said:

kle4 said:

malcolmg said:

GIN1138 said:

malcolmg said:

GIN1138 said:

So in other words, the PLP have made complete and utter fools of themselves as expected and now they're looking for a way to back down without losing too much face.

Brilliant!

Afternoon GIN, going to be large amount of donkeys eating humble pie soon.
    Even Malc!

Certainly seems so.
    GIN, just amazed at the Frothers on here, wetting their pants at us only having to spend £6M per medal to prove we are not a crap country full of poverty and foodbanks. Makes you feel good. Surely all those medallists will mean that our poor peopel will strive harder and become rich as well.
    Your insistence on referring to people not bothered by such a thing as frothers is absolutely ridiculous - you seem to be the only one frothing about it, others are simply disagreeing with you malc.

More generally, when people feel good and positive and confident about their country it helps economically and socially in many ways.
    kle4, People are easily pleased, it is typical of this country. It is full of merde yet people are happy that some twit ran round a track faster than someone from another country, that is their yardstick of success. The country is falling to bits around them but they won some baubles, well woo hoo all is well.
    Genuine question, Malcolm: if Scotland were competing as a nation and they'd got 2nd in the medal table, and it was revealed that Scotland had invested heavily and cleverly in elite sport to secure this result, would you be as grumpy, and resentful?

Don't be daft.

But then again he thinks Murray is a Tory....
    ....https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2014/sep/23/andy-murray-scottish-independence-tweet-no-regrets

Some people are just miserable gits.
    Better than being a whimpering fool
  • Options
    John_M said:

MTimT said:

John_M said:

Do they have odorama yet on Google Earth?
  • Options
    MTimT said:

John_M said:

MTimT said:

John_M said:

Do they have odorama yet on Google Earth?
    I'll just pretend I have asnosmia for the moment. To be honest, I don't even know why I mentioned a bucket list, I haven't even renewed my passport. Thirty-two years of business travel has kind of worn down my wanderlust.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    John_M said:

John_M said:

John_M said:

kle4 said:

Even the city have gone off EEA/Passporting and say they would prefer equivalent regulation instead which is what the US do and apparently has much the same benefit as

I'm sorry Paul, it's not massive. 14bn euros is a very small shortfall. Germany could easily cover it. I'm sure it wouldn't want to, but the idea that Brexit screws the EU budget is flat out wrong.
    We are 10th out of 28 in terms of per capita contribution:

http://www.money-go-round.eu/

Inflicting spending cuts on the EU budgets of the A8 and A2 may well not endear a Brexit deal to these countries representatives in Brussels. In reality it increases the chances of a hard Brexit, and I think that will be the destination.
  • Options
    John_M said:

You might be right that 14bn out of 11 trillion is peanuts, but that is just the cold hard numbers.

While politicians, scientists, academics, economists, policy-makers and scientists may, the public don't evaluate things in cold hard numbers. Particularly numbers so big that they have no particular meaning to them. And astonishingly something like 40% of the public really don't understand percentages, so saying that the 14 bn is only 0.1% of the EU economy means even less.

The emotional response among German and French voters will be similar to malcolm_g's to the lottery money for sportsfolk - we have poor people at home who deserve it more.
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,956

John_M said:

John_M said:

John_M said:

kle4 said:

Even the city have gone off EEA/Passporting and say they would prefer equivalent regulation instead which is what the US do and apparently has much the same benefit as

Inflicting spending cuts on the EU budgets of the A8 and A2 may well not endear a Brexit deal to these countries representatives in Brussels. In reality it increases the chances of a hard Brexit, and I think that will be the destination.
    Nah. Simply cant see that happening. Infrastructure is not going to be there for a hard Brexit. There will be, as ever in dealing with Brussels, a fudge...
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    Mortimer said:

John_M said:

John_M said:

John_M said:

kle4 said:

Im talking about the single market membership .

Nah. Simply cant see that happening. Infrastructure is not going to be there for a hard Brexit. There will be, as ever in dealing with Brussels, a fudge...
    If no fudge is agreed, and there are going to be difficult countries playing to their home electorates, then 24 months after Article 50 is invoked hard Brexit happens. Hard Brexit is the default position, which is what makes it likely.
  • Options

Mortimer said:

John_M said:

John_M said:

John_M said:

kle4 said:

Im talking about the single market membership .

If no fudge is agreed, and there are going to be difficult countries playing to their home electorates, then 24 months after Article 50 is invoked hard Brexit happens. Hard Brexit is the default position, which is what makes it likely.
    It makes perfect sense to assume a hard Brexit. Too many hostages to fortune to do anything else. I'm very interested to see if May comes up with a HoA that explicitly changes that two-year window. It might suit all parties to agree a transitional separation. However, as I said down thread, it's now in the lap of the Gods; I shall follow our progress with interest.
  • Options
    john_zimsjohn_zims Posts: 3,399
    @MTimT

'The emotional response among German and French voters will be similar to malcolm_g's to the lottery money for sportsfolk - we have poor people at home who deserve it more.'

Spot on, not exactly a vote winner.

• Options

NEW THREAD NEW THREAD

• Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,796
    There will be a deal. The EU side want this sorted. It will be a bilateral deal because Britain's problem with the EU is that it doesn't want to be part of a multilateral body. It is unlikely to look like the Swiss bilaterals. They will take too long to agree and there is no appetite for them from the EU side. The formal deal is likely to be minimalist. Any fudge will come from both sides maintaining the current arrangements in practice while formally not agreeing to be bound by them. The Government will massively spin the outcome to sell it to the British public.

And that's it from me on Brexit for a while.
This discussion has been closed.