Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The polling evidence against Corbyn mounts. Smith’s beatin

Comments

• Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024
    edited August 2016
    tlg86 said:

How nice of us to let the Germans win an event.

we need a good deal from them. They want to export all their bicycles to us. ;)
  • Options

Awww, what a great interview

She's brilliant. Have you seen her fun interview about fruit, Henry eighth etc on bbc website
    Nope, have you a link?
    Here you go

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/olympics/36944831
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,361

Hundreds more posts on the Olympics, sheesh. aren't there any sports blogs so we can have our political betting back?

Curious development in Turkey - the Government says the Russian plane shot down a few months ago was attacked by wicked Gulenists, nothing to do with us, and how about sdome military cooperation?

http://www.hurriyetdailynews.com/russian-chess-game-vs-turkish-roulette.aspx?pageID=449&nID=102915&NewsCatID=398

If you think this has nothing to do with politics it is not surprising you were on the wrong side of Brexit.
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

47 medals - one behind China!

The smile will have to be surgically removed from my face :)
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,061
    If true, weird:

Note: I have no idea about the source website, but this story is LOL: there is a 'Bob Crow' brigade fighting ISIS in Syria. And yes, it's named after *that* Bob Crow.

http://www.middleeasteye.net/news/foreign-anti-fighters-northern-syria-form-group-named-after-uk-trade-unionist-1520200104
  • Options
    Ki-rin is so weird - tootle along behind a moped for 10 laps, and then madly dash for it for the last two?
  • Options
    tysontyson Posts: 6,050

Hundreds more posts on the Olympics, sheesh. aren't there any sports blogs so we can have our political betting back?

Curious development in Turkey - the Government says the Russian plane shot down a few months ago was attacked by wicked Gulenists, nothing to do with us, and how about sdome military cooperation?

http://www.hurriyetdailynews.com/russian-chess-game-vs-turkish-roulette.aspx?pageID=449&nID=102915&NewsCatID=398

I can only watch the proletarian sports, cycling, swimming, athletics- anything that involves a Gun, Horse, Sword, Rugger Ball, or Rowing Boat- I would rather anyone else wins. Toffs dancing on horses doesn't quite do it for me. Others may of course differ.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @oflynnmep: Of course were UKIP running the UK cycling team we'd probably find a way to suspend Laura Trott so she couldn't take part...
  • Options
    Good moaning!

I brung you a massage: 'Ello, 'Ello will be on the Yosterday Chunnel at 11.20 poo-em, Fryview 19 or Skoo 537.
  • Options

Ki-rin is so weird - tootle along behind a moped for 10 laps, and then madly dash for it for the last two?

Strikes me as a bit random. Good for betting , not so great for the favourite.
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,388

Two and a half :)
  • Options
    Can't we just have a full-blown moped race already? :lol:
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,196
    Uh oh....
  • Options
    I told you they were jinxing it.
  • Options
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098

I'm not at all sure about the economics of Hinckley Point, but five years to solve the problem of storage seems absurdly optimistic to me.

In a UK winter, for example, we can expect periods of cold, high-pressure weather with little wind of 4 days or more. If we assume an average winter uk electricity consumption of, say, 40 GW during such a period, this would give a required storage capacity of about 4000 GWh. That's an awful lot of battery!

DYOR, Mr. Enjinyeea, from what I read five maybe ten years will see the job essentially done. of course when Hinkley Point will come on line, assuming HMG signs off on the project God only knows. EDF have yet to get a power station of this design working anywhere.

Now, will the world-wide project to crack efficient and large scale electrical storage happen before EDF manage to get its reactor design to work? Well place your bet.

One other thing EDF is currently saying that Hinkley Point will not be operational before 2025 and its electricity will be be at least twice the cost of other sources for 35 years. Oh, and who is going to pay for the waste storage and decommissioning costs?

Fecking. insanity if you ask me.
    Does your research consist of anything more than skim-reading rehashed press releases masquerading as articles in the Telegraph? What is the basis for your claim of first 5, then 5 to 10 years to solve the storage problem? What is your definition of "solve" in this context?
    You want to say that large scale electrical storage will not happen before EDF manage to get Hinkley Point built? Go ahead, I really don't mind.

• Options
    tysontyson Posts: 6,050
    it is Kenney. BBC do not want to say it
  • Options
    GeoffMGeoffM Posts: 6,071
    I think that deep down we all had our suspicions.
  • Options
    This is very odd. They've been very relaxed about the sprinter's line, but they're being incredibly tight with this ruling.
  • Options
    tyson said:

So confusing. Malay first onto overlap of bike but Kenny in lead by line.
  • Options
    WOW...mega fudge....
  • Options
    tyson said:

Wrong again, tyson!
  • Options
    Great decision by the judges
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

This is very odd. They've been very relaxed about the sprinter's line, but they're being incredibly tight with this ruling.

I think the difference here is that the spiriting line they have been relaxed when it isn't have any impact on the race, with the putput event there is a serious advantage to going on the B of the Bang.
  • Options

tlg86 said:

I think the difference here is that the spiriting line they have been relaxed when it isn't have any impact on the race, with the putput event there is a serious advantage to going on the B of the Bang.
    I see. The problem appears to be that it's hard to judge when the B of the Bang is....
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

I see. The problem appears to be that it's hard to judge when the B of the Bang is....
    I am no expert, but I think what happened there was mr put put didn't get his bike off the track when he should have.
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    edited August 2016

Great decision by the judges

Indeed – GB breathes a sigh of relief…- And they're off for a second time.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,955
    edited August 2016
    tyson said:

I can only watch the proletarian sports, cycling, swimming, athletics- anything that involves a Gun, Horse, Sword, Rugger Ball, or Rowing Boat- I would rather anyone else wins. Toffs dancing on horses doesn't quite do it for me. Others may of course differ.
    I still don't know how you make the distinction - for all I know every athlete at the Games is public school education, regardless of sport. And cycling seems damn posh to me - expensive equipment and bespoke arena needed for competing, unnecessarily complex variations to keep out the plebs.

Edit - silly outfits as well.
  • Options
    PlatoSaidPlatoSaid Posts: 10,383

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

I am no expert, but I think what happened there was mr put put didn't get his bike off the track when he should have.
    I agree, it wasn't clear with three factors in play. Good decision.
  • Options
    Oh god....not again....
  • Options
    Blimey!
  • Options
    They've done it again
  • Options
    It's the 1993 Grand National all over again. Perhaps Mr put put could get the gold medal.
  • Options
    welshowlwelshowl Posts: 4,460
    Groundhog Day!
  • Options
    Serious Premature Ejaculation going on here...
  • Options
    This is farcical. What a stupid race.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,291
    edited August 2016
    If the German get booted....they are going to be screaming blue murder after Kenny got a pass.
  • Options
    the kiren is stoopid.
  • Options
    Effectively a 200m sprint is now about 600m.
    Bit farcical.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

It's the 1993 Grand National all over again. Perhaps Mr put put could get the gold medal.

Make it full-blown Moped racing!!!
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Yes, but Smith persists in thinking he has a chance, what can you do? Unless you were talking about UKIP.
  • Options
    corporealcorporeal Posts: 2,549
    tyson said:

Would you care to come down to Wales and inform everyone that rugby is not proletarian sport?
  • Options
    kle4 said:

DavidL said:

Yes, but Smith persists in thinking he has a chance, what can you do? Unless you were talking about UKIP.
    Boom boom...
  • Options
    nunu said:

the kiren is stoopid.

Only when we don't win it.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,399
    Kept herself to herself..
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    What is the point of the moped?

Have a greyhound bunny FFS
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

:lol:
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    TOPPING said:

Known locally as David Laura...oh wait....
  • Options
    corporeal said:

tyson said:

Would you care to come down to Wales and inform everyone that rugby is not proletarian sport?
    Quite!
  • Options

TOPPING said:

Known locally as David Laura...oh wait....
    Alright, Rodney?
  • Options
    The one night the BBC decides to delay the news and this happens!
  • Options

I'm not at all sure about the economics of Hinckley Point, but five years to solve the problem of storage seems absurdly optimistic to me.

In a UK winter, for example, we can expect periods of cold, high-pressure weather with little wind of 4 days or more. If we assume an average winter uk electricity consumption of, say, 40 GW during such a period, this would give a required storage capacity of about 4000 GWh. That's an awful lot of battery!

DYOR, Mr. Enjinyeea, from what I read five maybe ten years will see the job essentially done. of course when Hinkley Point will come on line, assuming HMG signs off on the project God only knows. EDF have yet to get a power station of this design working anywhere.
    (Snip)
    I am slightly bemused by the fact you routinely slag off the Economist, yet trust the Telegraph to understand, yet alone report, science correctly.

The science reporting on the Economist is excellent, and perhaps the best of any non-science general periodical.
    Mr. Jessop, I caught the Economist talking total bollocks about a subject I knew quite a lot about and which if the author had done some elementary research (like make a couple of phone calls) he would have known he was talking bollocks too. For that reason I have distrusted the magazine ever since.

Do I trust the Telegraph? No. However, they have produced an article or two recently about the developments in battery technology that seem to me to be credible.

I don't seek to persuade anyone. If someone wants to believe that Hinkley Point is a a sound investment and that we should pay the French and Chinese governments twice the price for our electricity for 35 years (plus the clean up costs and nuclear waste storage). Well good luck to them.
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

Two fold...

It paces, while not disadvantaging any one rider. Without the putput, the rider on the front would have to pace make and have to work harder because of air resistance.

Also, the event comes from Japan and they used to use the time behind the pacing to place bets.
  • Options
    corporealcorporeal Posts: 2,549
    PlatoSaid said:

In cycling there's a big disadvantage to being the front rider, if you don't have one you get the riders playing games by slow pedalling (and sometimes balancing at a complete standstill).

So the moped is there as a pacemaker to be that front rider and get them set up for the sprint.
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    Germany stays – they’ve blamed the technology…! Clever.
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    BOOOOMMMMMMMMMMMMM...smoke coming off his tyres there.
  • Options
    GOLDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD!
  • Options
    Jason Kenny!!
  • Options
    Moped racing!!!!!!
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,020
    edited August 2016

(Snip)
    I am slightly bemused by the fact you routinely slag off the Economist, yet trust the Telegraph to understand, yet alone report, science correctly.

The science reporting on the Economist is excellent, and perhaps the best of any non-science general periodical.
    Mr. Jessop, I caught the Economist talking total bollocks about a subject I knew quite a lot about and which if the author had done some elementary research (like make a couple of phone calls) he would have known he was talking bollocks too. For that reason I have distrusted the magazine ever since.

Do I trust the Telegraph? No. However, they have produced an article or two recently about the developments in battery technology that seem to me to be credible.

I don't seek to persuade anyone. If someone wants to believe that Hinkley Point is a a sound investment and that we should pay the French and Chinese governments twice the price for our electricity for 35 years (plus the clean up costs and nuclear waste storage). Well good luck to them.
    +1 I stopped reading the Economist for exactly the same reason as you.

As for Hinckley point it wouldn't be quite so bad if EDF had a working version of this generator design but as none of the ones EDF are building elsewhere are in production yet I think its safer to say thanks but on second thoughts as things have changed....
  • Options
    Wow !
  • Options
    Poor tactics, sheer power. Incredible.
  • Options
    corporeal said:

tyson said:

Proletarians frequently don't seem to know a) what is good for them and b) what they should like or not like.

Reminds me of a debate from the S5 Game of Thrones, when a character who thinks they know better dismisses the choices of others and their reasons:

Those men think they're [doing it] for a good reason
    Someone else's reason
    So you're reasons are true and theirs are false? They don't know their own minds, but you do?

Granted, the bracket text replaces the word 'dying for sport'.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,120
    Well done Jason Kenny, record equalling 6th British gold medal
  • Options
    TFFT Gold
  • Options

Jason Kenny!!

Mr Laura Trott, you mean. ;)
  • Options
    19 golds, 49 total!!!

:)
  • Options
    Yeah!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    10 Gold Medals between them...thats just greedy.
  • Options
    edited August 2016

Germany stays – they’ve blamed the technology…! Clever.

Vorsprung durch Technik?
  • Options
    When Laura Trott/Jason Kenny's kids start riding bikes, they'll be doing it without training wheels right?
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

Jason Kenny!!

Mr Laura Trott, you mean. ;)
    10 golds between them :love:
  • Options
    Attention 'Allo 'Allo fans, an episode is on Yesterday Channel at 11.20pm (Freeview 19, Sky 537).
  • Options
    Wrong. She is 4 for 4. Kenny is 6 for 7.
  • Options

United States
    28 28 27 83

Great Britain
    19 18 12 49

China
    15 15 18 48

Russia
    12 12 14 38

Germany
    11 7 6 24
  • Options

Attention 'Allo 'Allo fans, an episode is on Yesterday Channel at 11.20pm (Freeview 19, Sky 537).

Don't repost that. You can say it only once.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

And that one defeat was to another Brit (Sir Chris Hoy)
  • Options
    SkyNews Australia
    #BREAKING The IOC has stripped Russia of 2008 gold medal in women's 4x100 relay after Chermoshanskaya tests positive.
  • Options

PlatoSaid said:

Two fold...

It paces, while not disadvantaging any one rider. Without the putput, the rider on the front would have to pace make and have to work harder because of air resistance.

Also, the event comes from Japan and they used to use the time behind the pacing to place bets.
    It comes from Japan! Ofcourse it doess, there so weired!
  • Options
    ThreeQuidderThreeQuidder Posts: 6,133
    tlg86 said:

Last I checked, 6 > 4.
  • Options
    @craig_killie: Kenny and Trott now only 13 gold medals short of Michael Phelps and his fiancee.
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    Said yesterday, Chris Hoy is top at this analysis lark.
  • Options
    Most golds excluding best sport:

GB 13 (cycling)
    USA 12 (swimming)
    CHN 10 (weightlifting)
    GER 8 (shooting)
  • Options

tlg86 said:

Last I checked, 6 > 4.
    100% > 86%.
  • Options
    Crickey....now diving medal opportunity....
  • Options
    Hoy and Balding punching the air as Kenny wins gold – slightly embarrassing…
  • Options

GB 13 (cycling)
    USA 12 (swimming)
    CHN 10 (weightlifting)
    GER 8 (shooting)

I like it!
  • Options

Poss silver - this is wild stuff
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

Last I checked, 6 > 4.
    100% > 86%.
    If you're talking percentages, Kosovo are probably top of the medals table.
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    PlatoSaid said:

I'm still not really into this Olympics thing ;-)
  • Options
    eek said:

(Snip)

As for Hinckley point it wouldn't be quite so bad if EDF had a working version of this generator design but as none of the ones EDF are building elsewhere are in production yet I think its safer to say thanks but on second thoughts as things have changed....
    Quite so, Mr, Eek. Who in their right mind would say that this was a project worth pursuing? Where, when it comes down to it, is the benefit for the UK?
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

BBC saying silver guaranteed, Chinese diver needs 73.15 to win.
  • Options
    The notification screen on my phone is entirely full of TeamGB medal alerts right now
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,551
    tlg86 said:

GB 13 (cycling)
    USA 12 (swimming)
    CHN 10 (weightlifting)
    GER 8 (shooting)

I like it!
    Properly bonkers. I'm really impressed by Team GB, 2012 was the start of something not a pinnacle, Tokyo in 2020 could be amazing.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

The notification screen on my phone is entirely full of TeamGB medal alerts right now

Its a right old pain isn't it ;-)
  • Options
    I do like the BBC write up including Trott's quote about her coach 'puts up with me' when the video shows she said 'puts up with my crap'. I know such quotes are not exact for a good reason, but that amuses me.
  • Options
    Greetings from Canada. Loving this. Not seen a single medal win yet, or heard an anthem, but it's still great. So proud. Better together :-)
This discussion has been closed.